PDA

View Full Version : 2022 YSU @ Kentucky game

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2022, 09:37 AM
Unbeaten YSU travels to Kentucky for a game with the SEC Wildcats. Stoops has announced that Kentucky will play without its leading rusher. YSU remains healthy, regaining former OSU transfer Hooker back from a concussion. The two deeps remain unchanged except for a new starter Payne at CB who was a former starting Slot for the Guins.

No one expects a YSU win, but will be watching to see how the Guins play against a quality opponent. Their first 2 games were against light competition and if they intend to do well in the MVFC, they need to show some abilities against stiff competition.

On a side note , Kentucky has numerous connections with Ytown including native Stoops as HC and former area star Vince Marrow also coaching the Wildcats. Former YSU HC Wolf just left for the Alabama staff or he would be there too. I note former area star Lynn Bowden who played for Stoops is still bouncing around the NFL.

Ill be watching the game as my cable carries the SEC network which will show this game at noon.

Penguin Nation
September 14th, 2022, 09:50 AM
IÂ’m seeing 25.5 as the spread. ThatÂ’s probably about right as Stoops wonÂ’t run up the score on YSU. Of the entire season, the money games are my favorite by far. IÂ’d rather watch 2 money games/ season than a playoff game (not that YSU has had much of those). I have a rare Saturday off work this weekend so I too will watch it. I agree that itÂ’ll be interesting to watch how this team responds to premier competition.

Twentysix
September 14th, 2022, 09:59 AM
Kentucky looks pretty good this year. It would be great to just make it an interesting game for awhile.

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2022, 10:06 AM
IÂ’m seeing 25.5 as the spread. ThatÂ’s probably about right as Stoops wonÂ’t run up the score on YSU. Of the entire season, the money games are my favorite by far. IÂ’d rather watch 2 money games/ season than a playoff game (not that YSU has had much of those). I have a rare Saturday off work this weekend so I too will watch it. I agree that itÂ’ll be interesting to watch how this team responds to premier competition.

I agree. Stoops will not do anything to embarrass YSU. Good relations among the coaches and schools. Even former YSU MBB HC Robic is there on the round ball staff, lol. The fact Stoops will not play his leading rusher should help YSU to contain the run. The challenge will be in the pass game trying to control an SEC passing attack. That, and trying to move the ball and score on a decent FBS defense. Difficult game but one I hope they come out of healthy before they have a week off before meeting NDSU.

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2022, 11:34 AM
Kentucky has released their 2 deeps. The Wildcats have lost their starting FS to injury in addition to not playing their leading rusher. They also are making several changes to a number of starting positions. Kentucky shows a heavy number of Ohio players, most from Cincy and NE Ohio area in starting or two deeps.

The other interesting tidbit is YSU will match up very well size wise. That was not the case last year. Being bigger and stronger may show over the course of this season. The Cats held Florida to 16 points last week. Can YSU beat that standard ?

Penguin Nation
September 14th, 2022, 12:02 PM
I suspect Jaleel is particularly inspired for this game as he undoubtedly has NFL/XFL/USFL aspirations, and I think he'll have plenty of carries. I could see schemes using him as a receiver to get him out in space.

The Yo Show
September 14th, 2022, 12:57 PM
If their starting FS is out, and the offense pulls out all the tricks, YSUs passing attack should be pretty difficult to defend against. Jaleel will be a great wheel route, or even just an out to the flats. With the other weapons at widereceiver I'm hoping we can get some points. Bryce Oliver is gonna go into this game pretty fired up.

Paladin1aa
September 14th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Not sure why Oliver left the Kentucky program, but he has to be pumped to play against his former team. He came out of a quality h.s. Program in Florida with honors. Played for Kentucky. Big WR with speed and good hands. Even in a weak YSU pass game he has caught 10 TD passes in his short time here.

Ill be watching to see how the OL holds up to give the QB time to throw or if they opt to go to a short game throwing to TEs and Tomczak instead. They have spread it around but gone heavy to WRs so far. The TE transfer Gillickson from Mich. St. played with our QB at Pick Central and was a favorite target when they won a state title. Now rejoined together, would not be surprised to see them hooking up again.

BeamMeUp
September 14th, 2022, 08:10 PM
Not sure why Oliver left the Kentucky program, but he has to be pumped to play against his former team. He came out of a quality h.s. Program in Florida with honors. Played for Kentucky. Big WR with speed and good hands. Even in a weak YSU pass game he has caught 10 TD passes in his short time here.

Ill be watching to see how the OL holds up to give the QB time to throw or if they opt to go to a short game throwing to TEs and Tomczak instead. They have spread it around but gone heavy to WRs so far. The TE transfer Gillickson from Mich. St. played with our QB at Pick Central and was a favorite target when they won a state title. Now rejoined together, would not be surprised to see them hooking up again.

Despite us having a dynamic RB (one of the very best at the FCS level), I don't see us having much luck running the football between the tackles against this SEC defense. Jaleel is not built in the mold of our great 2006 RB Marcus Mason (and his back-up Mo Gibson) who were more bruising RB's that could carry it 35+ times a game. I'd look for our offensive coordinator to utilize the short passing game to the TE's and Tomczak like you eluded to Paladin. With some success with that approach, they can take a few shots deep to Oliver and look for some designed play calls to get Jaleel the ball in open space (i.e. like the shuffle pass that Jaleel took for a TD against Dayton).

Need to keep the penalties to a minimum and not turn the ball over. If we can do that, I think we can make it respectable... and what more can you ask for when playing on the road against the #9 team in the country out of the best FBS conference?

Paladin1aa
September 15th, 2022, 11:24 AM
Despite throwing for 5 TD passes against Dayton, Crenshaw’s strength is his legs , not his arm. They haven’t showed much of him running so far. Kentucky plays a 3 man front and gets the other 8 into coverage. They have been strong against the pass. My game plan would be to run Crenshaw AND McLaughlin and keep the clock running. If you short the time of the game, you stand a better chance of being in it. Run first and throw to keep them honest, mainly play action if your runs are effective.

Picking the time and place for your passing attack with the WRs and Tomczak blends in when Kentucky tries to stop the run and play action pass. Our WRs and one TE are big guys. Find the mismatch and throw them the ball.

Colonel12
September 15th, 2022, 02:53 PM
Just saying if YSU wins I will be extremely gleeful lol

Paladin1aa
September 15th, 2022, 07:46 PM
Time for my prediction -

Massey thinks it will be Kentucky 38-7

Ill say Kentucky 38-14.

Should be a game to get them ready for NDSU.

The Yo Show
September 15th, 2022, 09:22 PM
Kentucky beat Miami of Ohio 37-13 week one.

Now... I generally think ysu is better than Miami of Ohio. I also don't generally go off the opponent translations but...

Miami of Ohio beat Robert Morris 31-14 week two.
Dayton beat Robert Morris 22-20 week one.

YSU beat Dayton 49 - 16.

All this to say, while I expect YSU to lose, this may be a 38-21 type of game.

Paladin1aa
September 16th, 2022, 01:34 PM
Kentucky beat Miami of Ohio 37-13 week one.

Now... I generally think ysu is better than Miami of Ohio. I also don't generally go off the opponent translations but...

Miami of Ohio beat Robert Morris 31-14 week two.
Dayton beat Robert Morris 22-20 week one.

YSU beat Dayton 49 - 16.

All this to say, while I expect YSU to lose, this may be a 38-21 type of game.

All games are about matchups. Size- speed- skills- coaching. I rate both teams equal in size. As for speed, don’t have the data but would say the Cats are faster on a man for man basis as SEC recruits. At skill, we are talking about good SEC level players so YSU is several notches lower. And coaching ? DP has little HC experience while Stoops is battle tested in the toughest league in college FB.

I’d like to see them play close before the Cats pull away in the 2nd half. I think Stoops will get a comfortable margin and play his backups for experience and not risk his starters on an insignificant game he is expected to win. That may keep it close.

BeamMeUp
September 16th, 2022, 08:51 PM
Would like to see a competitive first half, but the depth of Kentucky will wear down YSU in the second half. Will be watching to see how we compete all four quarters. Hoping we stay healthy and we see some promise before we play the Bison in 2 weeks.

Kentucky 35
YSU 17

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2022, 05:52 AM
https://www.aseaofblue.com/2022/9/6/23340270/ramon-jefferson-injury-kentucky-football-rb-acl

Sam Houston transfer Ramon Jefferson reportedly has torn ACL

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 07:27 AM
Prediction: UK 45-17 (10 of YSU’s points in garbage time).

Off topic question: Akron went into OT with STFU and was absolutely demolished by Sparty. The spread on their game today is 47.5! How much longer can this “program” fake being FBS? I think forfeiting the season should be on the table.

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 07:37 AM
Off topic but since you brought it up, I am convinced that YSU could easily scalp many MAC teams this year (Miami of Ohio, Akron, Bowling Green ect). I think ysu beats Akron by multiple TDs if they played this year.

ysubigred
September 17th, 2022, 07:46 AM
It's game day! Anyone here in Lexington come by and enjoy a beverage[emoji106]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220917/1762b669e5810e7f657cdc4f0b4cb06b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 08:00 AM
Wish I could have been there red.

BeamMeUp
September 17th, 2022, 08:05 AM
GO PENGUINS!

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 10:57 AM
Omg the war propaganda song and cult ritual makes me feel so warm and fuzzy!!

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 11:11 AM
Well, the penguins had a good stop on defense. And had that penalty not happened would have just gotten a 1st down.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Just handing it off to Jaleel every play won’t cut it lol.

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 11:19 AM
Agreed, still happy with the defense so far. We keep having passing open though

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 11:19 AM
So far, not bad.

Notice YSU is as big as the SEC team. Run D not bad. Forced UK to punt on both possessions.

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 11:26 AM
The mistakes with penalties is hurting us. Also the special team mistake on the punt

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 11:27 AM
YSU INT. Stopped UK 3 times.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 11:34 AM
Defense getting shocking amounts of penetration and TFLs. YSU sabotaging itself with penalties and a Jaleel-only playbook.

penguinpower
September 17th, 2022, 11:37 AM
0-0 end of Q1

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 11:38 AM
End of 1 st qtr

0-0

YSU run D is sharp.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 11:40 AM
YSU D starting to look gassed. Flood gates may open if they don’t get any breaks.

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 11:42 AM
Well, that score was expected. Need to get SOMETHING going on offense now.

penguinpower
September 17th, 2022, 11:43 AM
I don't think they look gassed. They are rotating the DL. Hard to stop the QB sneak in the 1 ft line

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 11:44 AM
The run defense looks good! This bodes well for MVFC play

penguinpower
September 17th, 2022, 11:44 AM
But they can't leave them on the field the entire game either. Jaleel is averaging 5 ypc. But penalties are killing our drives

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 11:46 AM
Run the goddamn QB

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 11:49 AM
3rd and long? Let's run a draw play up the middle every time lol

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 11:51 AM
They are not forcing UK to defend against a running QB. It’s on Jaleel and we aren’t passing. Too easy to defend. Open up the playbook.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 11:54 AM
No first downs, minus 2 passing yards, and TOP 2:1 in favor of KY. I guess there’s no INTs if you never pass.

YSU D exceptional but need breaks.

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 11:58 AM
14-0 Kentucky

D has played well, but the O sucks.

Run the QB.

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 12:00 PM
14-0 Kentucky. D is playing well, but no O.

Run the damn QB.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Looks like a pic to me.

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 12:12 PM
Yep that's a pick

- - - Updated - - -

Well apparently not according to replay lol

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 12:13 PM
FUMBLE!

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 12:14 PM
Offense needs to just burn clock.

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 12:16 PM
Don't worry PN, they are lol

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 12:21 PM
This may be the worst play calling since YSU @ Richmond in the 2000 playoffs. I’m not sure JT’s heart was in that one.

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 12:25 PM
In alot of fairness, they are going against a power 5 defense. I definitely want different play calling but it may not be all that much different. Hopefully we see different plays in the 2nd half

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 12:30 PM
One first down in the first half. The Defense may be the only way YSU scores.

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 12:30 PM
Frankly the OC sucks. Wasted a good D effort.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 12:31 PM
I hear ya, but we once not just beat a P5 team..but humiliated them.

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 12:33 PM
Unless we make amazing offensive adjustments, we won't score.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah we need a new OC have not been impressed with this guy

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 12:35 PM
I’ve always thought Mitch was a better passer. What am I missing about Crenshaw?

penguinpower
September 17th, 2022, 12:49 PM
I’ve always thought Mitch was a better passer. What am I missing about Crenshaw?

Crenshaw's footwork and field vision are awful.

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 12:52 PM
What a catch

- - - Updated - - -

Bryce has to be stoked

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Did Oliver not have possession of the ball as he crossed the goal line? Striping it after that is meaningless?

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Agreed chief. Terrible call. That was a TD. He had possession

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 01:03 PM
If we had even a mediocre offense, we’d have a shot at winning this.

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 01:06 PM
Jaleel strikes,lol

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 01:09 PM
Run on every third and long, but pass on second and goal. Got it.

The Yo Show
It should be 14 to 28 right now. Not 0 to 28. Holy

Paladin1aa
How stupid can you Be ?

Get down on the goal line and not run it. They are wasting Crenshaw

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 01:10 PM
Run on every third and long, but pass on second and goal. Got it.

The play calling is incomprehensible. Was so happy they finally throw a screen... But then...

- - - Updated - - -

How stupid can you Be ?

Get down on the goal line and not run it. They are wasting Crenshaw

Terrible play calling

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 01:23 PM
Can we get a safety here? Would be big

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 01:37 PM
Defense continues to look amazing

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 01:38 PM
D still playing with heart. Nice pic.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 01:53 PM
31-0

The Yo Show
September 17th, 2022, 02:02 PM
At a minimum this game should have been 31 to 14. Sad, but a loss was expected anyway.

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 02:05 PM
Long story short - the O sucked, the D exceeded my hopes. The coaching was awful. Expected to lose but wanted them to compete. They did but not in all phases. On to NDSU.

penguinpower
September 17th, 2022, 02:06 PM
The offensive coordinator is, well, offensive. The QB play was awful. We are only as good as Crenshaw on offense. A good pass is abnormal because a good pass only happens intermittently. Feels like the Heacock days when we wasted great defenses due to **** offense.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 02:10 PM
Atrocious play calling. Lack of preparation evident by procedural penalties.

This is an improvement over Bozo, practically anything would be, and maybe there’s an at large playoff invite occasionally….but this 3rd year HC is not impressing me.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 02:23 PM
I suspect Jaleel is particularly inspired for this game as he undoubtedly has NFL/XFL/USFL aspirations, and I think he'll have plenty of carries. I could see schemes using him as a receiver to get him out in space.

Jaleel’s reception was the best offensive play.

Penguin Nation
September 17th, 2022, 02:48 PM
Must be Crenshaw’s Dad calling in lol

Paladin1aa
September 17th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Here is a defense of Crenshaw - he was so potent as a running QB in h.s. he Had numerous big time offers to be a RB. YSU knew this and yet they are holding him back. He should be free to scramble out of the pocket. He should have run plays. Everyone can see he isn’t accurate on long throws which also needs blocking time from the OL to pull off. He is fine on short throws. But if you are not going to use his strongest skills, running, then why is he playing QB using only his weakest skills, passing ?

Grades -

Defense - B. Good run D but pass D needs work. Still it was a good SEC pass team.

Offense - D. Poor in all phases but a couple of plays showed real abilities.

Special teams - C. Needs work

Coaching - F . Terrible game plan, no or poor adjustments, poor preparation.

On to NDSU

ysubigred
September 17th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Just got home. Was a great time. Actually had a blast with the KY fans. We were treated well and the SEC facility was awesome.. no alcohol sales in the stadium though and 5 bucks for a bottle of water? Cheapest thing to get at the concessions.

YSU needs better coaching,, fundamentals are not there not sure what in the hell they do all week to prepare the kids to play? Game play calling and decision making was pretty scary for a team trying to move upwards in the football world.

YSU has the worst QB in the MVFC #10 is a D III QB at best.

Defense is pretty good still dislike how they cover soft.

On to Fargo,, not sure the outcome there will be any better than the Lexington trip? Hope YSU is sand bagging and can show better than today..

Way to go Dawgs,, scalp in the bag [emoji106]

ysubigred
September 18th, 2022, 12:05 PM
Here is a defense of Crenshaw - he was so potent as a running QB in h.s. he Had numerous big time offers to be a RB. YSU knew this and yet they are holding him back. He should be free to scramble out of the pocket. He should have run plays. Everyone can see he isn’t accurate on long throws which also needs blocking time from the OL to pull off. He is fine on short throws. But if you are not going to use his strongest skills, running, then why is he playing QB using only his weakest skills, passing ?

Grades -

Defense - B. Good run D but pass D needs work. Still it was a good SEC pass team.

Offense - D. Poor in all phases but a couple of plays showed real abilities.

Special teams - C. Needs work

Coaching - F . Terrible game plan, no or poor adjustments, poor preparation.

On to NDSU#10 if not used to his strengths needs to sit. The Salem kid and the 3 or 4 good receivers can't be any worse than what the O is showing now. UND is a great example of what a mean passing attack can do.. 75 yards in 53 seconds 5 plays and a TD for a W..

YSU hasn't had a decent QB since Brumgard.. Hess and Zetts had #'s but didn't win **** when it counted.

One great attribute of this YSU team is speed.. the SEC factor of speed was not evident against the Guins.

Bottom line; I believe the players are there but I'm not confident they're being coached up to their potential especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Actually I'm damn proud of this team.. re-watching this on film was more insightful. Get some offense and better fundamentals/coaching the Guins will be a tough out for quite a few teams.

On to BYE..

BeamMeUp
September 18th, 2022, 07:31 PM
Just some overall thoughts...

The coaching staff (starting with Phillips, along with the Offensive and Special Teams staff) let this team down with their game-plan (or lack thereof) coming into this matchup. Earlier in the week I mentioned how Jaleel is not built to run the ball up the middle against a big SEC defense as he isn't built like YSU RB great Marcus Mason. For some reason, our O.C. thought he'd eventually break one and kept running the same vanilla plays over and over again (i.e. insanity) which failed immensely. He was never going to be able to consistently rush for much against that defense. Don't they remember last year at Michigan State when he rushed for just 34 yards!? The lack of creative plays was glaring. They should watch the Missouri State vs. Arkansas film and see how they utilize their mobile QB... because we don't!

However, I do have to hand it to the Defensive staff for their performance!

Kentucky's offense was on the field for 38:10 minutes (roughly 63%) of the game. We obviously gave up 31 points which isn't great, but against an SEC team in the Top 10 in the country, I'd take it. We also forced two interceptions, sacked their QB 4 times, and if I am reading the stat line correctly, had a total of 10 tackles for loss (including the 4 sacks). We also held their offense to just 103 yards on the ground. I think we clearly have holes in our pass defense through 3 games (gave up 377 yards through the air this week xdrunkyx), but I am pleased with our rush defense which is giving up just 69.7 yards per game which is Top 10 in the FCS right now. We will need that to continue, especially in 2 weeks in Fargo.

I hope Phillips and the Offensive Staff pay close attention to the film this week. We had opportunities to score (at least 14 points) to make the score more respectable, but their game plan cost us those chances.

Go YSU