PDA

View Full Version : Sedale Threatt (Lehigh) Needs to be Benched

LehighIn2007
October 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I haven't been on in a long time (maybe July?) and I've been meaning to post this since week 3. Sedale Threatt, QB of Lehigh (Patriot League) is not a good QB. Can he run? Yes. Is he an outstanding scrambler? Absolutley. But he can't throw. He makes too many mistakes and under or over throws WRs more than Donovan McNabb. Now, since I'm posting this on a Tuesday and the Patriots won, I have calmed down since Saturday. I realized that he has no time and he has to throw on the run 90% of the time. For real. He has to start scrambling the moment he gets the snap. This team has to start stepping it up quickly. Let's pick up a legaue win this weekend guys.

Spoke
October 16th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Do you really think any untested backup QB can score as many points as the Holy Cross offensive juggernaut?

LehighIn2007
October 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Yes, if you go to the game (I think you are a H.C. fan) you will see how bad Sedale is. If we want a chance we have to bench him first. Then worry about the team with God on their side.

Franks Tanks
October 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I haven't been on in a long time (maybe July?) and I've been meaning to post this since week 3. Sedale Threatt, QB of Lehigh (Patriot League) is not a good QB. Can he run? Yes. Is he an outstanding scrambler? Absolutley. But he can't throw. He makes too many mistakes and under or over throws WRs more than Donovan McNabb. Now, since I'm posting this on a Tuesday and the Patriots won, I have calmed down since Saturday. I realized that he has no time and he has to throw on the run 90% of the time. For real. He has to start scrambling the moment he gets the snap. This team has to start stepping it up quickly. Let's pick up a legaue win this weekend guys.

Whom do you suggest Lehigh should start instead to do a better job?

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I see the "Boo Birds" have found their way onto AGS... xreadx

blu-bulldog
October 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Come on It's not all that kids fault. He had more dropped passes at critical times.That would have changed that game around.It also did'nt help that the defense was on the field for over 40 minutes.
I see a very good young team,Give your team credit .Give this team another year or 2, I see Lehigh back in the playoffs.

Pards Rule
October 16th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I remember him running for his life in that 2005 Lafayette game as Blake Costanza was bearing down on him time and again!

LeopardFan04
October 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM
QB problems abound in the Lehigh Valley...Even though he has struggled Threatt still scares me. With a mobile quarterback, I always think that there is a chance of some crazy run, or scramble/pass, at anytime.

hc12
October 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM
QB problems abound in the Lehigh Valley...Even though he has struggled Threatt still scares me. With a mobile quarterback, I always think that there is a chance of some crazy run, or scramble/pass, at anytime.

a running qb only adds a small threat to a defense.A qb that rolls out and can throw with accuracy is a keeper . A qb that can avoid pressure in the pocket and can hit the wr. is what you dream about.If he is athletic enough to run and pick up first downs thats great.If you can combine all this into one qb thats what a coach hopes for. You need to be able to hit the wr. on all their routes to be successful .

ngineer
October 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Sedale has not had the season everyone hoped for; however, many of his 'deficiencies' have not been of his own doing. As pointed out. he's had a lot of passes dropped that would have turned the outcome of a couple games. Secondly, the protection has not been the best. Part of this is due to the lack of establishing a consistent running game. I do think that Sedale has tried to do 'too much' at times in trying make something happen. He is NOT a great runner. Yes, he is mobile, but he is not fast. He has been caught from behind numerous times by defensive ends and linebackers. I still believe he is our best hope for salvaging the season. The QB is always the focus of the despondents when things go bad, but he is not alone in the cause. The entire offense has had a hand, including some of the calls from upstairs or the sideline. The defense has played well, overall,and has kept us in all the games, within striking range of winning. Benching Sedale at this time would be a huge mistake.

LU73
October 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Ngineer, I couldn't have summed up the situation better myself.

LehighFan11
October 17th, 2007, 10:23 AM
O boy i can't believe some people even think benching Sedale is an option. If you think Sedale is bad, please don't even watch Lehigh next year when he is gone. Sedale is alot better than people give him credit for. Lets be honest, the offense around him sucks. The o-line sucks, his top 2 rbs have been hurt, every WR sucks expect Yansane. If the O-line can give him some time and the play calling is better by Coen, Sedale can get compfortable again and we will see much better play by him.

Fordham
October 17th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I only have one game to go on but two things really bugged me about our preseason OPOY. He was just horrendously inaccurate to the point where he almost looked rattled to me. The problem was that it wasn't like a senior should have been rattled (nor did we do that much to rattle him overall) and therefore, it's possible that this is just how he throws. LU fans, was the FU game indicative of his accuracy or was it an anomaly?

The other thing was his decision making. A senior QB who is rolling out and way outside the tackles should never take a loss when they could throw the ball anywhere they want, but he took the loss a few times in our game. Couple that with missing some wide open WR's and I had to say that it was one of the most unimpressive QB performances I've seen in a while. Again, taking a loss like he did really stands out for me b/c it's such a frosh-type of mistake - not one for an experienced senior QB to make. Talking about with a team mate of mine who was there, we agreed that it seemed like he's so athletic that he thinks he could still make the big, game-changing play instead of realizing that it's better to not take the loss and line up again with 10 to go instead of 18 or 20.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire here but very interested from those that saw the FU game to know if this was representative of his work or not.

LUHawker
October 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I only have one game to go on but two things really bugged me about our preseason OPOY. He was just horrendously inaccurate to the point where he almost looked rattled to me. The problem was that it wasn't like a senior should have been rattled (nor did we do that much to rattle him overall) and therefore, it's possible that this is just how he throws. LU fans, was the FU game indicative of his accuracy or was it an anomaly?

The other thing was his decision making. A senior QB who is rolling out and way outside the tackles should never take a loss when they could throw the ball anywhere they want, but he took the loss a few times in our game. Couple that with missing some wide open WR's and I had to say that it was one of the most unimpressive QB performances I've seen in a while. Again, taking a loss like he did really stands out for me b/c it's such a frosh-type of mistake - not one for an experienced senior QB to make. Talking about with a team mate of mine who was there, we agreed that it seemed like he's so athletic that he thinks he could still make the big, game-changing play instead of realizing that it's better to not take the loss and line up again with 10 to go instead of 18 or 20.

Not trying to add fuel to the fire here but very interested from those that saw the FU game to know if this was representative of his work or not.

Oh my God, Fordham sees it so clearly in one game! Yes, Sedale is inaccurate. Yes, he doesn't make good decisions. Yes, he takes losses when he shouldn't and yes, he does seem to try to do too much. All that being said, he is our quarterback for the season and I don't think benching him is the answer. He needs to stay within his limits, have some WRs catch some balls and make smart plays. If he does that, Lehigh has a shot.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM
I only have one game to go on but two things really bugged me about our preseason OPOY. He was just horrendously inaccurate to the point where he almost looked rattled to me....

There was a very good reason for this. He was running for his life on nearly every passing play. Even then on occasion he'd roll out, throw across his body, loft a pass which is right in the receivers' chest 20 yards downfield... and it's dropped.

Where I find some hope is that Lehigh faced some very good defensive fronts in Harvard, Yale, Fordham and Princeton, and Holy Cross' doesn't seem as daunting as those four... perhaps Lehigh's "O" line can turn it around this week... I hope.

And who has the best "D" line in the PL? Lafayette....
xeekx

ngineer
October 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM
In response to Fordham's inquiry, I was as the FU game. The deficiencies cited were all present; however, magnified in a game where they all seemed to come at one time. Over the years, Sedale has had his problems, but was able to compensate for them. At Fordham, he was unable to compensate and each error compounded the prior one. He played better at Yale. I believe preseason we were expecting a running game averaging 125-150 yards a game that would have set up a lot of play-action. Without McGowan and Pastore, opponents are not respecting the run game and it's causing more havoc with the passing. The two yound TB's have excellent promise, but they don't have the experience/vision/or strength as yet that is needed at this level. I think down they road they could well be top-shelf backs.
Forecast for Saturday is now sunny and 73...;)

ngineer
October 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM
There was a very good reason for this. He was running for his life on nearly every passing play. Even then on occasion he'd roll out, throw across his body, loft a pass which is right in the receivers' chest 20 yards downfield... and it's dropped.

Where I find some hope is that Lehigh faced some very good defensive fronts in Harvard, Yale, Fordham and Princeton, and Holy Cross' doesn't seem as daunting as those four... perhaps Lehigh's "O" line can turn it around this week... I hope.

And who has the best "D" line in the PL? Lafayette....
xeekx

This is driving me nuts...The coaches continually have him rolling left. I can see it on occasion, but I bet 2/3 of the time he's rolling left. Makes no sense.xsmhx

Fordham
October 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM
LFN, I guess I'm not so convinced that we have one of the better defensive fronts, so that could have been playing a role in my concern. We were really manhandled by Albany and maybe that game was just an anomaly for me that's stuck in my head right now and we're better than that overall. Add to it that a very athletic Dayton QB gave us fits and I was more than expecting that he was going to have his way with us.

If I remember correctly, you guys drove down the field on us very easily to start the game (we haven't started ANY game well this year) and then around the 20, Sedalle overthrew an open WR on 3rd down and you guys settled for the FG (I think I remember that correctly). Then, you got the ball back and drove again but he way overthrew another WR and our safety picked it off. I don't think he was the same QB after that, so if that's happened in other games, maybe his confidence is shot?

Also, Hawker, I can't tell if your first line was a mocking one or not (I really tried to make that just commentary and asking a legit question and not have it come off as a slam). If it was a mocking one, I said in there that I was really trying to hear whether or not LU fans thought our game was a good representation of how he played since I understand that a sample of one isn't good enough to go on. If it wasn't mocking, then I can certainly understand your frustration (as well your conclusion). Just wanted to clarify.

I'm sure you guys have hit upon (in several posts already) what may be the most important point - if not Sedalle, then who? I saw that listed up there a few times and haven't heard an answer.

Boy, the thing that's a shame is that this is really a kid you root for (when he's not playing your team). After hearing his PL pre-season speech and then reading about him the NY Times article, he sounds like an outstanding individual and just a great representative of a PL player (not that this changes that aspect). It's just that you hate to see him have what should be his shining season turn into one where there's talk of him getting benched. Hopefully he turns it around.

LUHawker
October 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Also, Hawker, I can't tell if your first line was a mocking one or not (I really tried to make that just commentary and asking a legit question and not have it come off as a slam). If it was a mocking one, I said in there that I was really trying to hear whether or not LU fans thought our game was a good representation of how he played since I understand that a sample of one isn't good enough to go on. If it wasn't mocking, then I can certainly understand your frustration (as well your conclusion). Just wanted to clarify.

I was NOT mocking at all. It was just one of those eureka moments for me where you summed up the issues very well. We've seen these issues at multiple games so when you, as an outsider, see it so clearly, it confirms our thoughts.

Sedale is a quality individual who has overcome a lot and has a lot of promise, but hasn't yet delivered consistently. I think all of us Lehigh fans want to root for this kid and see him, individually, and the team collectively, do well. Lehigh has seen a lot of missed opportunities, and unfortunately, this year, many of them lay at his feet.

dawwggboy
October 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
This is driving me nuts...The coaches continually have him rolling left. I can see it on occasion, but I bet 2/3 of the time he's rolling left. Makes no sense.xsmhx

Neer you are right. If you have a talent at a skill position you coach to the assets of that talent. It is. at times, better to take the sack and read the defense. to enhance your opportunities later in the game. Its good to have a scrambler. but if you can't convert on third down SO WHAT!

ngineer
October 17th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I hope Sedale comes out and has a fantastic game. Not just to put a whuppin' on Holy Cross, but to get this crap off his back and set the table for the last four weeks of the regular season. It now appears that Saturday will be a beautiful day, with temps in low 70's. It's Alumni Day, so hopefully a good crowd of at least 10-12,000.

Pard94
October 18th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I've been saying Sedale's mediocre at best for two years now. If it's any consolation Lafayette's in the same boat from a QB perspective. Somehow, it's harder to swallow when there is a lot (and I do mean a lot) of unreasonable hype surrounding the player. If Sedale's last name was Johnson or Smith I think you guys probably would have gone in a different QB direction long ago.

Franks Tanks
October 18th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I've been saying Sedale's mediocre at best for two years now. If it's any consolation Lafayette's in the same boat from a QB perspective. Somehow, it's harder to swallow when there is a lot (and I do mean a lot) of unreasonable hype surrounding the player. If Sedale's last name was Johnson or Smith I think you guys probably would have gone in a different QB direction long ago.

I think your correct Pard, also it seems they have no one better waiting in the wings. He may be mediocre but all the alternatives are probably sub-medicore.

ngineer
October 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I think your correct Pard, also it seems they have no one better waiting in the wings. He may be mediocre but all the alternatives are probably sub-medicore.

I consider Sedale better than mediocre because he can change a game's complexion by himself when he's on. To me , a mediocre QB is only capable of giving a workman like performance..which is fine if you have a strong cast around you. With the numerous injuries, Threatt's supporting cast is not yet ready for prime time. Even the games where Sedale has made bad mistakes, he has also shown flashes of brilliance. The past few games, there have been breakdowns by everyone at very inopportune times that would have changed the outcomes. The 'others' waiting in the wings have virutally no experience, so with still having a viable chance to win the League, you have to go with experience...as well as the one the players look to as their leader. As long as he has his teammates' faith, you should honor their commitment.

As an aside..next year's Spring Game will be very interesting as the current soph and the two new frosh battle it out for the lead role.

Pard94
October 19th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I consider Sedale better than mediocre because he can change a game's complexion by himself when he's on. To me , a mediocre QB is only capable of giving a workman like performance..which is fine if you have a strong cast around you. With the numerous injuries, Threatt's supporting cast is not yet ready for prime time. Even the games where Sedale has made bad mistakes, he has also shown flashes of brilliance. The past few games, there have been breakdowns by everyone at very inopportune times that would have changed the outcomes. The 'others' waiting in the wings have virutally no experience, so with still having a viable chance to win the League, you have to go with experience...as well as the one the players look to as their leader. As long as he has his teammates' faith, you should honor their commitment.

As an aside..next year's Spring Game will be very interesting as the current soph and the two new frosh battle it out for the lead role.

I think he is very comparable to Michael Vick (minus the moral issues). Throw in the occasional big play but the rest of the time he makes a career of looking very athletic and flashy as he delivers mediocre results. Throw in the fact that he always seems to choke in the big games (namely Lafayette).

Alas, we are in the same boat next year. We have some promising youngsters coming up but, baring any injuries or total implosion by our current QB, the guy lining up next year will have precious little experience. Could it be that Lafayette and Lehigh go into the 2008 season predicted no better than the middle of the pack??xeekx Say it aint so!

Fordham
October 19th, 2007, 08:39 AM
no way, pard94. With Tavani's track record and the fact that you guys have only expected your QB to manage the game this year and you're still at the top means that you'll be picked at or near the top again. That's particularly true given the last few recruiting classes you've had and well earned imo.

I don't know about Lehigh but I would think that the third year in Coen's system should help tremendously (not discounting the rest of this season). I think it's interesting to note that Masella was ripped on by some Fordham fans for starting so many frosh last year after our miserable start. Something like that can happen, though, at a program that has traditionally been at the bottom of the league ... AND it was easier to digest for Fordham fans since it was the same exact thing that Clawson had done before him. Lehigh has had such success that it doesn't seem possible for a coach to make one of those moves, though. Note that I'm not advocating that he should have since they have good upperclass talent (particularly in comparison with our situation) ... but moreso just wondering if it was ever an option for him to scrap things and just start a ton of underclassmen. I think he'd be run out of town with a 3 - 8 record and scrapping so many upperclassmen when they got rid of Lembo in order to win now. That said, it's a huge, huge help for us to have so many soph's now that have the type of experience usually seen in upperclassmen.

ngineer
October 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM
no way, pard94. With Tavani's track record and the fact that you guys have only expected your QB to manage the game this year and you're still at the top means that you'll be picked at or near the top again. That's particularly true given the last few recruiting classes you've had and well earned imo.

I don't know about Lehigh but I would think that the third year in Coen's system should help tremendously (not discounting the rest of this season). I think it's interesting to note that Masella was ripped on by some Fordham fans for starting so many frosh last year after our miserable start. Something like that can happen, though, at a program that has traditionally been at the bottom of the league ... AND it was easier to digest for Fordham fans since it was the same exact thing that Clawson had done before him. Lehigh has had such success that it doesn't seem possible for a coach to make one of those moves, though. Note that I'm not advocating that he should have since they have good upperclass talent (particularly in comparison with our situation) ... but moreso just wondering if it was ever an option for him to scrap things and just start a ton of underclassmen. I think he'd be run out of town with a 3 - 8 record and scrapping so many upperclassmen when they got rid of Lembo in order to win now. That said, it's a huge, huge help for us to have so many soph's now that have the type of experience usually seen in upperclassmen.

It is a complete fallacy that [we] "got rid of Lembo in order to win." Lembo was not fired by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that there were some disgruntled so-called fans on a voy board does not equate with being fired. Pete left because of a great opportunity to got to one of the elite FCS conferences, able to recruit with scholarships not tied to need, and a very nice area to raise a young family. I 'no-lose' proposition with I imagine more pay and the fact the there was no where to go but up at Elon. Lembo at his young age was going to jump in the near future, had the Elon job not come along. He has the 'itch' to get to the big time and if he turns Elon into a consitent winner the SoCon, an FBS school will come calling in the not too distant future.

LehighFan11
October 19th, 2007, 06:29 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how some of you suggesting Sedale should be benched react when he lights it up and Lehigh wins this week. I'm sure you will either go into hiding or all of a sudden say "hey i never said that". With Pastore and McGowan back, this offense is ready to click. Why don't you try taking away Addai and Rhodes from last years Colts team, doubt they would of even sniffed the playoffs.