PDA

View Full Version : A standard for the guarantees in FBS-FCS games?

bonarae
September 13th, 2022, 01:43 AM
Coach Prime can't have enough to criticize his fellow HBCU football programs getting spanked by P5 programs and getting peanuts in the guarantee amount from them compared to G5 FBS programs who scalped the P5s.

He has consistently ducked the call to play FBS programs since the loss to ULM in 2021. But Tennessee State will get a million next season from South Bend, no matter the game result...

https://hbcugameday.com/2022/09/12/deion-sanders-says-p5s-should-pay-hbcus-much-more-for-getting-butts-kicked/

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2022, 07:41 AM
It's simple economics. The supply of FCS teams looking for FBS games exceeds the demand of FBS teams looking for those games. FBS teams can only count one FCS win towards bowl eligibility so, unless it's a really crummy FBS program, they can only play one FCS game per season. Add to that the fact that some FCS teams look to play 2 (are occasionally 3) FBS games in a season it means "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit" if you want an FBS game.

G5 teams get more because a win there counts the same towards bowl eligibility as a conference win would for a P5 team so they have more options as the "seller" in that scenario.

EKU05
September 13th, 2022, 08:53 AM
It's simple economics. The supply of FCS teams looking for FBS games exceeds the demand of FBS teams looking for those games. FBS teams can only count one FCS win towards bowl eligibility so, unless it's a really crummy FBS program, they can only play one FCS game per season. Add to that the fact that some FCS teams look to play 2 (are occasionally 3) FBS games in a season it means "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit" if you want an FBS game.

G5 teams get more because a win there counts the same towards bowl eligibility as a conference win would for a P5 team so they have more options as the "seller" in that scenario.

I agree with all of this.

With that having been said, the supply is somewhat mitigated by the number of FCS teams that don't ever play these kinds of games (primarily those without scholarships or with limited scholarships who aren't "counters" toward bowl eligibility).

But you're right, many of us seek to play two per season which messes with things. My own FCS school of choice just came off back-to-back games against MAC opponents, and I believe we're slated to play both Cincinnati and Kentucky next year.

Sitting Bull
September 13th, 2022, 09:10 AM
Aren’t there more FBS teams now than scholarship FCS programs? If so, it seems to me you now have more FBS teams looking for FCS games than the available pool - which can lead to programs like EKU and Maine playing two in one season.

I wouldn’t personally mind playing 2 if one was G5. We have only done that once at W&M that I can remember, the last year (2019) when we played 12 games.

ElCid
September 13th, 2022, 09:26 AM
And on occasion, an FBS team plays two FCS. Doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

There are 131 FBS and 130 FCS. So subtract out the non scholarship and it's just a bit more than a dozen.

DFW HOYA
September 13th, 2022, 09:43 AM
And on occasion, an FBS team plays two FCS. Doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen.

There are 131 FBS and 130 FCS. So subtract out the non scholarship and it's just a bit more than a dozen.

Outside of the Ivy and Pioneer, 109 of the 111 schools have or will be playing an FBS team in 2022 or going forward.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 15th, 2022, 07:03 PM
Deion's points are nice in theory but simple economics crush his dream. Teams play FCS opponents for the perceived easy win and home game. They aren't interested in being Daddy Warbucks for some program. If a team demands more moolah, they will find another team willing to play for a lower price.

Libertine
September 16th, 2022, 09:10 AM
I think that Deion's comments were more geared toward HBCU's specifically and it seemed like he was suggesting that those schools should form some sort of negotiating bloc to get better payouts from these money games. But, aside from the basic principles of FCS supply and FBS demand, all of the examples he cited were either pretty good or overwhelmingly good deals for the FCS schools. Southern got $760K from LSU? That's outstanding! Alabama A&M only got $300K from UAB? Well, yeah, that's about right because UAB isn't LSU.

Unfortunately, this is a reminder that Deion has zero experience in FCS outside of Jackson State and, based on this and other comments he's made, he seems completely ignorant of the actual economics of football at this level.

MSUBobcat
September 16th, 2022, 09:59 AM
I think that Deion's comments were more geared toward HBCU's specifically and it seemed like he was suggesting that those schools should form some sort of negotiating bloc to get better payouts from these money games. But, aside from the basic principles of FCS supply and FBS demand, all of the examples he cited were either pretty good or overwhelmingly good deals for the FCS schools. Southern got $760K from LSU? That's outstanding! Alabama A&M only got $300K from UAB? Well, yeah, that's about right because UAB isn't LSU.

Unfortunately, this is a reminder that Deion has zero experience in FCS outside of Jackson State and, based on this and other comments he's made, he seems completely ignorant of the actual economics of football at this level.

This here is about all that needs to be said. /thread