PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9/12

wapiti
September 12th, 2022, 04:54 PM
With 2 games in the books these rankings are starting to take shape. Weber impressed with a sound defeat of G5 Utah State and Idaho impressed in 2 losses against P5 teams.
Meanwhile while EWU took a stumble against Oregon.

1. (2) Montana - The defense has been outstanding in the first 2 games. That defense sets them as number 1

2. Weber (4) - Soundly beat a FBS team.

3. Montana State (1) - Won as expected. MSU needs to take better care of the ball. Can't have those fumbles\turnovers against better teams. The performance of UM and BBQ surpassed what MSU did and MSU did well. MSU has injuries at running back.

4. Sac State (3) - Did not play this past weekend.

5. UC Davis (5) - Gave the number 2 FCS team a good scare.

6. Idaho (7) - UI may be one of the best 0-2 teams in all of FCS. They gave Washington State a close game 2 weeks ago and WSU beat the number 19 FBS team this last weekend. and now UI gave Indiana a good game. Idaho may be a contender in the Big Sky this season.

7. NAU (10) - Beat SHSU who is transitioning and was in the playoffs last season.

8. EWU (6) - Was spanked by P5 FBS Oregon. EWU has questions on defense. EWU gave up 70 points.

9. PSU (8) - Soundly beat by P5 FBS U-Dub.

10. NC (12) - Played the first half close against Wyoming

11. CP (9) - Nearly lost to Non-Scholly San Diego.

12. ISU (11) - Didn't show much against San Diego State

Recap: 1-5 contenders 6-9 Middle of the pack 10-12 Bottom of the barrel

JALMOND
September 12th, 2022, 08:21 PM
A crazy week in the Big Sky to go along with a crazy week across the college football landscape. The road to the Big Sky conference title may go through Big Sky Country, but there are others that are beating on the door. After some near misses, the conference got their first win of the season over an FBS opponent (thank you Weber State), but Northern Arizona got a good road win and UC Davis gave championship hopeful South Dakota State all they could handle. Here are this week's power rankings for the conference (last week's rankings in parenthesis). All are my opinion only and I am sure it will foster some good discussion.

1. Montana State (1)---Last week, beat Morehead State (Pioneer) at home 63-14, this week Oregon State (FBS Pac-12) in Portland---The Bobcats have come out of the gate with two strong home wins to start the year. This week, they venture into the Pac-12 which has not been kind to other Big Sky schools.

2. Montana (2)---Last week, beat South Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home 24-7, this week at Indiana State (Missouri Valley)---It took over 7 quarters before someone was able to score against the Grizzlies defense and the offense has been rolling. They stay in the Missouri Valley this week, but go on the road.

3. Weber State (5)---Last week, won at Utah State (FBS Mtn West) 35-7, this week Utah Tech (WAC) at home---Stepping up a level in football is no easy chore but the Wildcats made a win look easy. Their strong defense rolling along, they welcome another in-state team to their cozy confines. They will stay within the FCS this time.

4. Sacramento State (3)---Last week, bye, this week at Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley)---A bye this early in the season is a strange quirk in the schedule, but it meant the Hornets had two weeks to prepare for a Missouri Valley heavyweight on the road. The Hornets may also be catching them at a good time, even on the road.

5. UC Davis (4)---Last week, lost at South Dakota State (Missouri Valley) 24-22, this week San Diego (Pioneer) at home---Given up for dead in the 4th quarter, the Aggies came storming back and came within a missed 2-point conversion from tying the game in a tough place for visitors to play. Things may get easier this week.

6. Eastern Washington (6)---Last week, lost at Oregon (FBS Pac-12) 70-14, this week bye---The Eagles came into Oregon hoping to keep it close, but they fell victim to a team that clearly wanted to prove a point. The Eagles now get an extra week to prepare for conference play and to put their non-conference play to rest.

7. Idaho (7)---Last week, lost to Indiana (FBS Big 10) 35-22, this week Drake (Pioneer)---The Vandals weren't supposed to do much in their trip to the Big 10, but they got Indiana's attention with the lead at halftime. Unfortunately, they couldn't hold on. This week, they move into the FCS with a game against the Pioneer.

8. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week, won at Sam Houston (WAC) 10-3, this week North Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home---After their Pac-12 beatdown, the Lumberjacks defense stood up and made people take notice in getting a good road win. They bring in their former conference-mate and return home.

9. Portland State (8)---Last week, lost at Washington (FBS Pac-12) 52-6, this week bye---Fresh from an impressive showing in their first money game against the Mountain West, the Vikings were no match for the Pac-12 in an ugly game. They will now take two weeks to prepare for their conference schedule.

10. Cal Poly (10)---Last week, beat San Diego (Pioneer) at home 28-27, this week at South Dakota (Missouri Valley)---The Mustangs stole a victory in the final moments of the game at home last week, getting good vibes going in their season. They move on the road into Missouri Valley country this week, hoping to continue their good feelings.

11. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week, lost at Wyoming (FBS Mtn West) 33-10, this week at Lamar (Southland)---The Bears moved up a level and went on the road and kept the score relatively close for 3 quarters. However, the game is 4 quarters and they could not sustain it. They hit the road again but return to the FCS this week.

12. Idaho State (11)---Last week, lost at San Diego State (FBS Mtn West) 38-7, this week Central Arkansas (ASUN) at home---Another trip into the Mountain West and pretty much the same result for the Bengals as they did not put up much resistance. They come home and return to the FCS this week.

RECAP: 1-5 contenders, 6-9 need help, 10-12 trying to hold on.

Lumberjackfanbefore2012
September 13th, 2022, 10:19 AM
A crazy week in the Big Sky to go along with a crazy week across the college football landscape. The road to the Big Sky conference title may go through Big Sky Country, but there are others that are beating on the door. After some near misses, the conference got their first win of the season over an FBS opponent (thank you Weber State), but Northern Arizona got a good road win and UC Davis gave championship hopeful South Dakota State all they could handle. Here are this week's power rankings for the conference (last week's rankings in parenthesis). All are my opinion only and I am sure it will foster some good discussion.

1. Montana State (1)---Last week, beat Morehead State (Pioneer) at home 63-14, this week Oregon State (FBS Pac-12) in Portland---The Bobcats have come out of the gate with two strong home wins to start the year. This week, they venture into the Pac-12 which has not been kind to other Big Sky schools.

2. Montana (2)---Last week, beat South Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home 24-7, this week at Indiana State (Missouri Valley)---It took over 7 quarters before someone was able to score against the Grizzlies defense and the offense has been rolling. They stay in the Missouri Valley this week, but go on the road.

3. Weber State (5)---Last week, won at Utah State (FBS Mtn West) 35-7, this week Utah Tech (WAC) at home---Stepping up a level in football is no easy chore but the Wildcats made a win look easy. Their strong defense rolling along, they welcome another in-state team to their cozy confines. They will stay within the FCS this time.

4. Sacramento State (3)---Last week, bye, this week at Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley)---A bye this early in the season is a strange quirk in the schedule, but it meant the Hornets had two weeks to prepare for a Missouri Valley heavyweight on the road. The Hornets may also be catching them at a good time, even on the road.

5. UC Davis (4)---Last week, lost at South Dakota State (Missouri Valley) 24-22, this week San Diego (Pioneer) at home---Given up for dead in the 4th quarter, the Aggies came storming back and came within a missed 2-point conversion from tying the game in a tough place for visitors to play. Things may get easier this week.

6. Eastern Washington (6)---Last week, lost at Oregon (FBS Pac-12) 70-14, this week bye---The Eagles came into Oregon hoping to keep it close, but they fell victim to a team that clearly wanted to prove a point. The Eagles now get an extra week to prepare for conference play and to put their non-conference play to rest.

7. Idaho (7)---Last week, lost to Indiana (FBS Big 10) 35-22, this week Drake (Pioneer)---The Vandals weren't supposed to do much in their trip to the Big 10, but they got Indiana's attention with the lead at halftime. Unfortunately, they couldn't hold on. This week, they move into the FCS with a game against the Pioneer.

8. Northern Arizona (9)---Last week, won at Sam Houston (WAC) 10-3, this week North Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home---After their Pac-12 beatdown, the Lumberjacks defense stood up and made people take notice in getting a good road win. They bring in their former conference-mate and return home.

9. Portland State (8)---Last week, lost at Washington (FBS Pac-12) 52-6, this week bye---Fresh from an impressive showing in their first money game against the Mountain West, the Vikings were no match for the Pac-12 in an ugly game. They will now take two weeks to prepare for their conference schedule.

10. Cal Poly (10)---Last week, beat San Diego (Pioneer) at home 28-27, this week at South Dakota (Missouri Valley)---The Mustangs stole a victory in the final moments of the game at home last week, getting good vibes going in their season. They move on the road into Missouri Valley country this week, hoping to continue their good feelings.

11. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week, lost at Wyoming (FBS Mtn West) 33-10, this week at Lamar (Southland)---The Bears moved up a level and went on the road and kept the score relatively close for 3 quarters. However, the game is 4 quarters and they could not sustain it. They hit the road again but return to the FCS this week.

12. Idaho State (11)---Last week, lost at San Diego State (FBS Mtn West) 38-7, this week Central Arkansas (ASUN) at home---Another trip into the Mountain West and pretty much the same result for the Bengals as they did not put up much resistance. They come home and return to the FCS this week.

RECAP: 1-5 contenders, 6-9 need help, 10-12 trying to hold on.

I'm not sure if I would say 6-9 need help yet. It's a little early. One thing for certain though. The Big Sky Conference is stacked top to bottom this year. I don't think there really is a clear favorite yet.

wapiti
September 13th, 2022, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure if I would say 6-9 need help yet. It's a little early. One thing for certain though. The Big Sky Conference is stacked top to bottom this year. I don't think there really is a clear favorite yet.

Not sure what you mean by stacked top to bottom. But I do not see CP, NC or ISU as having a chance to be in the playoffs, let alone be above .500 in conference play.
There may not be a clear favorite, but there are a few who are not listed as a favorite.

JALMOND
September 13th, 2022, 11:52 AM

You are correct. Conference play will certainly be interesting this year. I would say so far 1-5 are the clear favorites with 6-9 needing someone to fall out of that group. And while Cal Poly hasn't been blowing the doors off so far, they have shown the ability to wreck a few Saturdays for some teams by the time conference play comes around.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2022, 11:53 AM
1. Montana (1) - The defense is legit, making it almost thru 2 games with 0 PA. Offense is still finding its way a bit, so when it starts clicking... gonna be a tough team to beat, especially at Wa-Griz.
2. Weber (5) - The Grills put the rest of the Big Sky on notice with a drubbing of last year's MW champion. Their defense is also damn tough.
3. Sac State (3) - bye week; no movement
4. Montana State (2) - blew out a bad Pioneer League team, but injuries are piling up at RB. Looking like Elijah Elliott (a Portland native) may be our starter this week with Garrett Coon maybe backing him? Elliott was a serviceable backup last year, averaging 5.1 ypc over 62 attempts, but this will be a heavier workload. Sumner, who had a superb game against McNeese, I suspect(hope) is being held out because the OSU game is somewhat irrelevant to the rest of the year.
5. UC-Davis (4) - A very respectable showing by the Aggies @ South Dakota State. But moral victories don't count and BBQ stomped their FBS opponent, so even with a somewhat surprising performance, they have to drop a spot.
6. NAU (9) - I debated the 6-8 teams. I decided to go with the team with an impressive victory, NAU over SHSU at Bowers.
7. Idaho (7) - the Vandals followed up a strong showing @ WSU (which beat Wisconsin at Camp Randall) by taking a lead into halftime @ Indiana before the wheels fell off for the 3rd quarter. Still, tying 2 quarters, winning one and losing one is pretty solid for Idaho playing at a B1G team, regardless of where they may end up in the conference standings.
8. EWU (6) - The Eags slim victory over Tenn State may not be as bad as I initially assumed, after they hung tough with Jackson State, but there are significant questions about the team at this early point. I assume Best will steady the ship, but I'm a "trust but verify" kind of guy, so we'll need to see if the defense has a pulse, and if the offense is any semblance of last year's.
9. PSU (8) - The Vikes followed their close loss to SJSU by getting torched by UW. It was an expected outcome, for the most part, but NAU beating the Bearkats caused them to slip a spot.
10. Northern Colorado (12) - after their WTF loss to HBU, which inexplicably lost to transitioning Lindenwood at home, they played surprisingly well for 2.5 quarters (sinking all my parlays), getting within a score 7 minutes into the 3rd before succumbing to the Cowgirls.
11. Idaho State (11) - another week, another 31 point loss to an FBS team. This week's foe was much better than the last though, so... improvement?
12. Cal Poly (10) - the 'Stangs needed a very late TD to hold off a scrappy, but still Pioneer League, San Diego team and win by a single point. At home. Presumably would have lost on the road. That's good for last in my book.

1-5 Solid playoff contenders
6 Continue to play like last week and the 'Jacks will very much be in the conversation.
7-9 Could throw a monkey wrench in someone's season
10-12 Looking like a long season for these teams

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2022, 12:02 PM
Not sure what you mean by stacked top to bottom. But I do not see CP, NC or ISU as having a chance to be in the playoffs, let alone be above .500 in conference play.
There may not be a clear favorite, but there are a few who are not listed as a favorite.

Agreed. As of now, I see UNC's only chances at victory being when they host ISU or possibly this weekend at Lamar. Idaho State's may only be @NoCo or Cal Poly at home. Cal Poly's best chance for another victory going to ISU, maybe when PSU come to town. The bottom 25% of the conference are dumpster fires. PSU may only finish with 3 wins (2 FCS wins), but it wouldn't surprise me if they snag another conference win somewhere along the way.

Lumberjackfanbefore2012
September 13th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Agreed. As of now, I see UNC's only chances at victory being when they host ISU or possibly this weekend at Lamar. Idaho State's may only be @NoCo or Cal Poly at home. Cal Poly's best chance for another victory going to ISU, maybe when PSU come to town. The bottom 25% of the conference are dumpster fires. PSU may only finish with 3 wins (2 FCS wins), but it wouldn't surprise me if they snag another conference win somewhere along the way.

Stacked meaning their are easily 8-9 teams in this conference that could pull a win any given Saturday (see what I did there?).

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2022, 01:19 PM
Stacked meaning their are easily 8-9 teams in this conference that could pull a win any given Saturday (see what I did there?).

Yes, but by your own admission 3-4 teams (25-33%) have very low expectations (i.e. would still be at the bottom of the conference in all but a few FCS conferences), so not stacked from top to BOTTOM. Perhaps stacked top to middle? And there's another 2-3 where beating the top 5-6 would really be an upset . For example, using Idaho (my #7) as proof that your conference is "stacked" doesn't sit well with me. Idaho seems improved, but I don't see them as a big challenge for any top 25 team. Could they win? Absolutely. Any Given Saturday, as you said. Instead of stacked top to bottom, I would describe it as top-heavy. The top of the conference (5, maybe 6 teams; time will tell) appear really good. The middle is pretty decent and would fare well in most conferences not named MVFC, CAA, etc. But the bottom is pretty atrocious. In my very humble opinion.

nevadagriz
September 13th, 2022, 02:46 PM
When will Nau show their true colors and lose a few head scratchers? How will Bobcats look against OSU? Can Griz Offense get clicking? Is Sac for Real? Is Idaho much Better?