PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 8 (10/20) Predictions

GannonFan
October 16th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Lotta byes this week in the CAA (UD, JMU, nova, and W&M) so a little shorter schedule. Here's my take:

UMass 28 Northeastern 10 - Not sure what to make of UMass. They've seemed to be sleepwalking all year, keeping games close against Holy Cross and Colgate, had Towson moving well on them in that game, and then somehow let a nova team starting a true freshman for the first time take them all the way to 4 OT's before putting them away. At some point it changes from a good team just sleepwalking past inferior opponents to possibly a team that's not as good as advertised. And I'm thinking UMass may in fact be the latter. nova ran all over UMass last week and nova isn't even considered a good running team. You'd think that Northeastern, with the battering ram of Murray, might be able to do even better. However, I don't think this is the week UMass gets exposed - UMass owns Northeastern and the game's in Amherst. Take the Minutemen and look down the road for them to slip up.

Towson 35 Colgate 28 - The Patriot League is just flat out awful this year, and Colgate isn't even the best team in the Patriot. Towson's had a difficult year this year, with injuries and in some cases just brutal losses. A very up and down year for the Tigers. While the playoffs and CAA glory will have to wait until next year for Towson, they do have a chance to get some redemption here and return to a conference where they used to reside and where they got beat up a lot. I think Towson takes this opportunity to show how far they've come and they handle the Red Raiders on the road.

Richmond 42 Rhode Island 7 - I took a stab at Richmond maybe being let down by the Towson loss and predicted a shocking upset last week. It didn't happen as Richmond righted the ship in big fashion by routing Stony Brook. I expect more of the same here for the Spiders as they should absolutely dominate a URI team that is just not very good. I'm still not sure how URI managed so many points last week against JMU, but I'll chalk that up to playing at home. No such luck this week as the Rams will have to travel to VA to play, and be spanked, by a very good Richmond team.

Stony Brook 21 Maine 20 - Well, last week proved it, Maine stinks. Not that we didn't know it before, but W&M comes up to Orono after being drilled by nova and they still find a way to beat the Black Bears. Just an awful, awful season for Maine that just can't end soon enough. First game of the year Maine was lucky to avoid the home upset by a fairly unimpressive Monmouth team, and Stony Brook has since beaten Monmouth. Now Maine has to travel to Long Island to play a Seawolves team that is coming off of a beat down by Richmond and playing their Homecoming game. In a season of just sheer disaster for Maine, they get one more and go down in defeat.

Hofstra 35 New Hampshire 24 - In the game of the week in the CAA by far, Hofstra plays host to New Hampshire. UNH has righted the ship after early setbacks to JMU and Richmond, and now sail into Long Island with Santos back (I'm assuming he's back) after sitting out the flag football game against Iona last week. Hofstra, meanwhile served notice last weekend that they are for real with an impressive snuffing out of Towson on the road. Hofstra can play defense and teams seldom play well in Hempstead (maybe it's the barometric pressure, or maybe it's the bad vibe that the Jets give off nearby - hard to tell). They have a chance now to take a big step towards winning the CAA North and I think they have the tools to do it. UMass beat UNH twice last year with quality defense and just enough offense, and I think Hofstra has the same tools to do the same to a UNH team that isn't as good as last year. Look for the Hofstra dark horse story to continue and UNH be put on the brink of playoff elimination.

saint0917
October 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Umass- 31 Northeastern- 13

Towson- 23 Colgate- 10

Richmond- 40 Rhode Island- 3

Stony Brook- 20 Maine- 10

Hofstra- 27 New Hampshire- 23, Game of the week xnodx

SunCoastBlueHen
October 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Umass- 28 Northeastern- 17 Every year it seems the CAA has a team that plays tough, keeps most games close, but always loses. Northeastern is that team this year.

Towson- 30 Colgate- 10 CAA goes 22-2 against OOC FCS opponents on the year.

Richmond- 28 Rhode Island- 21 I have a feeling this one will be closer than some expect. I think the Spiders might be caught looking forward to JMU

Maine- 17 Stony Brook- 7 Make that 23-2

New Hampshire- 35 Hofstra- 28 Cats need this game more and will play this game like they have their backs to the wall.

89Hen
October 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I got them all right last week with only a couple loser scores not being that close. This week...

UMass 35 - Northeastern 17

Towson 31 - Colgate 14

Richmond 28 - Rhode Island 10

Maine 24 - Stony Brook 20

Hofstra 42 - New Hampshire 35

WrenFGun
October 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Umass 31, Northeastern 17
Towson 21, Colgate 10
Richmond 28, URI 13
Stony Brook 9, Maine 7
UNH 33, Hofstra 24

Nebuta
October 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM
UMASS over Northeastern. Northeastern has been keeping games closes the last couple weeks. I would be tempted to say Northeastern gets over the hump and finally pulls an upset this week, but after UMass performance last week against Nova, I believe Coen and the boys will be ready to play with a little more fire. UMass in another close one.

Towson over Colgate. Towson have been hit or miss this season. Their offense struggles at times. Schaffer (Hope I spelled that correctly) and company go on the road and make the CAA proud by winning by 2 scores.

Richmond over Rhode Island. Richmond unlike URI has something to play for. I think Hightower will have another stellar performance and score 3 TDs. As Rhode Island's offense just cant seem to put enough points on the boards.

Stony Brook over Maine. I love to pick Maine over Stony just because the I like to see the CAA with another the OOC win. But unforunately that isnt going to happen. Maine is on the road and Stony isnt that good, but just good enough for the win.

Hofstra continues to surpise as they win against UNH. I like Huggins to have few TDs in this one. He is a solid back who can help Hofstra controll the clock and the game. UNH run defense will be tested. I see Hofstra defense doing a good enough job containing Santos to win the game.

TigerFan17
October 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Umass 31, Northeastern 17 :: Yup.

Towson -1, Colgate -2 :: Both teams rack up negative points, but Towson is the better of the bad.

Richmond 28, URI 3 :: UR is back on track. URI stays on track...but unfortunately its the wrong track.

Stony Brook 1.5, Maine 1 :: Stony Brook edges it out with half of a field goal to give them the go ahead over Maine's triumphant half-safety.

Hofstra 31, UNH 30 :: The fun one to watch this week.

UD 22,000, Bye 0 :: UD raves about how they sold out the stadium for the bye week.

Seawolf97
October 16th, 2007, 08:01 PM
What ever the score I like our chances over the Blackbears. We have 3 straight losses and it is our homecoming. Time to win one!

Spider
October 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM
xthumbsupx
SPIDAHS
UMASS
TOW
ME
UNH

bluehenbillk
October 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM
UD 22,000, Bye 0 :: UD raves about how they sold out the stadium for the bye week.

Good one. If we had a video board, or a working scoreboard it would make sense.

andy7171
October 17th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Northeastern @ Umass - too much at home for NU. An upset is in the future for the Minutemen, hopefully it comes before the playoffs. Not this week though.

Towson @ Colgate - Towson CAN'T lose this game. If they do, I'm going on suicide watch. No belts or shoestrings for patient 7171

Rhode Island @ Richmond - my upset, URI plays tough defense. Stop Hightower, stop the Spiders.

Maine @ Stony Brook - Maine can't be this bad can they? This pick is dedicated to MaineJeff and PapaBear.

New Hampshire @ Hofstra - This should be a great game. UNH beat Cuff and Flacco. Can they do the same to Huggins and Savage-Sullivan? The Pride defense wins this one at home.

WrenFGun
October 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I take some umbrage with the belief that Hofstra's defense is going to stymie this UNH offense. Pardoning an early struggle with JMU (in their first game of the season, and they still scored 24 points), they've scored 48, 45, 38, 35 and 49 points, respectively, with the 48 against Marshall and the 35 against Delaware being most impressive, in my opinion. Hofstra hs yet to beat a team with a winning record. I don't argue it won't be a test, but I don't expect Hofstra's defense to be able to win this game for them.

andy7171
October 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I take some umbrage with the belief that Hofstra's defense is going to stymie this UNH offense. Pardoning an early struggle with JMU (in their first game of the season, and they still scored 24 points), they've scored 48, 45, 38, 35 and 49 points, respectively, with the 48 against Marshall and the 35 against Delaware being most impressive, in my opinion. Hofstra hs yet to beat a team with a winning record. I don't argue it won't be a test, but I don't expect Hofstra's defense to be able to win this game for them.

I'm just saying what I witnessed. I was saying the same thing about them last week. I'm just saying. xpeacex

WrenFGun
October 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Agreed, though I'm not sure Towson has the kind of offensive firepower that UNH is capable of putting on the field. It's a little frustrating coming on every week and watching everyone pick against them. What does UNH have to do to be expected to win?

andy7171
October 17th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Agreed, though I'm not sure Towson has the kind of offensive firepower that UNH is capable of putting on the field. It's a little frustrating coming on every week and watching everyone pick against them. What does UNH have to do to be expected to win?
Not this year they aren't.

You need to stop that little RB Huggins and the Savage to Sullivan passing combo. My commentary wasn't so much directed at UNH's lack of offense as it was to Hofstra being able to step up and make big plays. It's going to be a shoot out. Which ever defense can stop the other O more gets the win. xpeacex

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 17th, 2007, 12:43 PM
UMASS 24, Northeastern 14. Another relatively close one, but UMASS stays in Top 5 for another week.

Towson 45, Colgate 25. Towson bounces back big vs PL foe.

Richmond 28, Rhode Island 27. URI stands tall, but falls late in a heartbreaker.

UMAINE 34, Stony Brook 17. Chuck P. has SBU going in the right direction, but still can't measure up to the overall athleticism of the CAA teams.

UNH 52, Hofstra 35. Road Warriors UNH take measure of the Pride's heretofor tough defense. Like every other team this year, Hofstra's weapons misfire against the Wildcat offense in yet another track meet.

GannonFan
October 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
UMASS 24, Northeastern 14. Another relatively close one, but UMASS stays in Top 5 for another week.

Towson 45, Colgate 25. Towson bounces back big vs PL foe.

Richmond 28, Rhode Island 27. URI stands tall, but falls late in a heartbreaker.

UMAINE 34, Stony Brook 17. Chuck P. has SBU going in the right direction, but still can't measure up to the overall athleticism of the CAA teams.

UNH 52, Hofstra 35. Road Warriors UNH take measure of the Pride's heretofor tough defense. Like every other team this year, Hofstra's weapons misfire against the Wildcat offense in yet another track meet.

Hey, you beat UD, but you did lose twice already in conference - that's at least two teams who have somehow "solved" UNH. (oh, and both were on the road, too, so that Road Warriors thing might be a bit misplaced as well! ) :p

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Hey, you beat UD, but you did lose twice already in conference - that's at least two teams who have somehow "solved" UNH. (oh, and both were on the road, too, so that Road Warriors thing might be a bit misplaced as well! ) :p

Even in the two losses, neither Richmond nor JMU stopped UNH's offense at all. But, yes, you are right, the Road Warrior moniker has lost a little lustre from past years. I will give you that. xthumbsupx We'll see what happens this weekend, .....

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Even in the two losses, neither Richmond nor JMU stopped UNH's offense at all. But, yes, you are right, the Road Warrior moniker has lost a little lustre from past years. I will give you that. xthumbsupx We'll see what happens this weekend, .....

Um, unless you were watching a different game, JMU did stop UNH's offense after its first drive of the second half. Or do you consider completions to both teams as offense? xsmiley_wix

th0m
October 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM
UMass
Towson
Richmond
Maine
UNH

URMite
October 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Um, unless you were watching a different game, JMU did stop UNH's offense after its first drive of the second half. Or do you consider completions to both teams as offense? xsmiley_wix

That's what I was going to say JMU stopped them the only way that it appears they can be stopped, takeaways. Unfortunately we are ranked #107 in that category and had to hold our breath at the end of the game. (As well as #102 in stopping 3rd downs...our 2 major weaknesses...):(

Wait! Why am I giving you a scouting report to study during your bye week???

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM

It was simply that darn 95 degree September in VA heat. :D The UNH Snowcats couldn't hold up under the bright sunshine (and the suddenly rejuvenated JMU defensive line pressure) xbowx

Just so you know, I rank JMU in the Top 4 every week in the AGS poll. You have nothing to prove to me.

Cranium716
October 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
UMass 24, Northeastern 20. UMass is clearly the better team, but NE is playing the top teams rediculously well.

Towson 27, Colgate 20. Snoozer of the week...

Richmond 42, Rhode Island 31. Hightower has a monster game.

Stony Brook 24, Maine 23. Yeah, they're that bad...

UNH 38, Hofstra 17. Hofstra finally finds out what it feels like to play a good opponent.

xthumbsupx

WSBE
October 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM
New Hampshire @ Hofstra - This should be a great game. UNH beat Cuff and Flacco. Can they do the same to Huggins and Savage-Sullivan? The Pride defense wins this one at home.[/QUOTE]

It comes down to Santos. If he's healthy & 90-100%, UNH wins. By the way...speaking of speedy little running backs....don't forget that Chad Kackert is back & he has reminded us, albeit in glimpses, that he is major weapon for UNH

DB_Atlantic10
October 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I take some umbrage with the belief that Hofstra's defense is going to stymie this UNH offense. Pardoning an early struggle with JMU (in their first game of the season, and they still scored 24 points), they've scored 48, 45, 38, 35 and 49 points, respectively, with the 48 against Marshall and the 35 against Delaware being most impressive, in my opinion. Hofstra hs yet to beat a team with a winning record. I don't argue it won't be a test, but I don't expect Hofstra's defense to be able to win this game for them.xblahblahx

DB_Atlantic10
October 17th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Then how did Richmond and JMU win if they didn't stop them? Did they both have the ball last in a Track Meet? If I remember right, you scored on your first possession in the 3rd and never saw the endzone again against JMU.....xcoffeex

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
New Hampshire @ Hofstra - This should be a great game. UNH beat Cuff and Flacco. Can they do the same to Huggins and Savage-Sullivan? The Pride defense wins this one at home.

It comes down to Santos. If he's healthy & 90-100%, UNH wins. By the way...speaking of speedy little running backs....don't forget that Chad Kackert is back & he has reminded us, albeit in glimpses, that he is major weapon for UNH[/QUOTE]

If Santos is close to 100% and doesn't try to force anything I think UNH wins easily. At times (very seldom) he tries to do to much. The JMU game this year, Northeastern last year for instance. He made passes I'm sure he wished he could have had back. In both instances in the following games he's made better decisions and thrown the ball into the stands on 1st and 2nd downs when things weren't there, knowing he can make the play on 3rd or 4th downs. He did it this year against Marshall and I can't remember the game after NU last year but the same type thing happened. My one concern is he's such a competetor I know he's been chomping at the bit to get on the field, he may not play with in himself. I'm sure he's been reminded of that. If he has an "average Santos" game I'm confidant UNH can score enough to win.

Chad could have been a game changer in both the games down south this year had he played. He's the only back they have with the speed to get to the edge.

That said, Hofstra always plays UNH tough. I just think UNH wins this one.

Hofstra76
October 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM
UNH 38, Hofstra 17. Hofstra finally finds out what it feels like to play a good opponent.

xthumbsupx

So far, besides UNH, JMU has played VMI-Coastal Carolina-URI-Villanova and Northeastern with a combined record of 10-21. I guess JMU's record is not real either or does your one win against UNH somehow make your record legitimate? Maybe if Hofstra lost to North Carolina by three touchdowns that would prove we're a good team.

Hofstra76
October 17th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Everybody says the same thing about us until they play us. We haven't played anyone and we're really not very good. That's what the Towson fans were all saying last week. Towson's QB Schaefer was the national player of the week going into the Hofstra game. Ask him what he thinks about the Hofstra defense.

Cranium716
October 17th, 2007, 07:54 PM
So far, besides UNH, JMU has played VMI-Coastal Carolina-URI-Villanova and Northeastern with a combined record of 10-21. I guess JMU's record is not real either or does your one win against UNH somehow make your record legitimate? Maybe if Hofstra lost to North Carolina by three touchdowns that would prove we're a good team.

JMU has two quality wins against UHN and Villanova, and our one loss was at UNC. Who has Hofstra beat to show me that they deserve my respect?

In order to make the playoffs, Hofstra's going to have to go at the worst 2-2 vs. UNH, @ Vill, @ W&M, vs. UMass, all good or great teams. If Hofstra puts themselves in a position to make the playoffs by winning at least two of those games, then I will believe that they are a truly good team. Hofstra has played bottomfeeders until this week, so this game will show the FCS world what they're really made of.

xbeerchugx

DB_Atlantic10
October 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Everybody says the same thing about us until they play us. We haven't played anyone and we're really not very good. That's what the Towson fans were all saying last week. Towson's QB Schaefer was the national player of the week going into the Hofstra game. Ask him what he thinks about the Hofstra defense.xwhistlex

Tribe4SF
October 17th, 2007, 08:33 PM
JMU has two quality wins against UHN and Villanova, and our one loss was at UNC. Who has Hofstra beat to show me that they deserve my respect?

In order to make the playoffs, Hofstra's going to have to go at the worst 2-2 vs. UNH, @ Vill, @ W&M, vs. UMass, all good or great teams. If Hofstra puts themselves in a position to make the playoffs by winning at least two of those games, then I will believe that they are a truly good team. Hofstra has played bottomfeeders until this week, so this game will show the FCS world what they're really made of.

xbeerchugx

Hofstra has W&M at home. They must also go to Parsons, which as JMU knows well, is a tough place to get a win. If Hofstra goes 2-3 over their last 5, they'll still have a shot, albeit a long one.

Hofstra76
October 17th, 2007, 08:33 PM

xbeerchugx

You can try to spin it any way you want but your last five opponents are a combined 10-21. If your Villanova win at home was a quality win than so was our win on the road last week against Towson.

Cranium716
October 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
You can try to spin it any way you want but your last five opponents are a combined 10-21. If your Villanova win at home was a quality win than so was our win on the road last week against Towson.

Right...if Hofstra proves their might on the field this weekend, then I'll eat my words...but until then, I still consider them overrated.

GeeWiz
October 18th, 2007, 01:01 PM
UMass 24 Northeastern 14 - I think NU hangs around to make this close, but UMass too talented in all phases.
Towson 34 Colgate 21- Tigers too explosive for the 'gate.
Richmond 35 URI 7- Spiders have to much talent for the Rams to hang around.
Stony Brook 27 Maine 24- Seawolves pull out a last minute win to continue the disappointing season for the Dirty Cubs.
UNH 38 Hofstra 31 - Wildcats hand the Pride a tough loss at home.

Seawolf97
October 20th, 2007, 09:15 PM
UMass 24 Northeastern 14 - I think NU hangs around to make this close, but UMass too talented in all phases.
Towson 34 Colgate 21- Tigers too explosive for the 'gate.
Richmond 35 URI 7- Spiders have to much talent for the Rams to hang around.
Stony Brook 27 Maine 24- Seawolves pull out a last minute win to continue the disappointing season for the Dirty Cubs.
UNH 38 Hofstra 31 - Wildcats hand the Pride a tough loss at home.

You were close-It took a double OT but we pulled it out SBU 30 Miane 23.In fairness to Maine they played a good game and led all the way- SBU played catch up all afternoon. The Blackbears are having rough year Im sure they will bounce back in 2008. Hey its our first win over a CAA team.

DB_Atlantic10
October 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM
You were close-It took a double OT but we pulled it out SBU 30 Miane 23.In fairness to Maine they played a good game and led all the way- SBU played catch up all afternoon. The Blackbears are having rough year Im sure they will bounce back in 2008. Hey its our first win over a CAA team.Did Maine leave the door openxnonono2x Just kidding, congrats to Stoneybrookxbowx

Seawolf97
October 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Did Maine leave the door openxnonono2x Just kidding, congrats to Stoneybrookxbowx

Actually Maine played tough as I expected. With 44 seconds left in regulation it didnt look good for the Seawolves down 20-17 and just missing a tieing field goal at the 2 minute mark. We finally won a close one against a quality team. Maine will be back Im sure.

ccd494
October 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM
2007 Maine Black Bears: worst A-10/CAA team in recent memory? Maybe worst, non-URI division?

Discuss.

Seawolf97
October 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM
2007 Maine Black Bears: worst A-10/CAA team in recent memory? Maybe worst, non-URI division?

Discuss.

I dont think so-look at Hofstra last year 2-9. They lost today but 6-1 isnt shabby in only 1 year. I know this is painful year but you will be back.xnodx

mainejeff
October 20th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Fire Cosgrove.

89Hen
October 23rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
UMass 35 - Northeastern 17
24-7 xthumbsupx

Towson 31 - Colgate 14
17-27 xoopsx

Richmond 28 - Rhode Island 10
38-6 xthumbsupx

Maine 24 - Stony Brook 20