PDA

View Full Version : Week 3 Southland pick ‘em

McCowboys
September 12th, 2022, 06:02 AM
Week 3 Southland pick ‘em
No awards or prizes. Keep track of your own record during the season. When all is said and done, we will recognize the winner or winners. I hope to have a poll, but if not, just copy and paste and bold your selections. If there is a poll, it will close Saturday morning before noon.

Seven of the eight SLC teams are in action in week #3 as HBU has an open date.

There was Incarnate Word, and then there was everyone else. UIW is a very respectable 2-0 after beat downs of its two opponents. Can we just go ahead and send the SLC championship trophy and automatic FCS playoff bid to these San Antonio Cardinals?
HBU and Commerce are 1-1 on the season. Lamar and four Louisiana schools are all winless in two tries. HBU and Commerce both lost close heartbreakers. McNeese, after suffering a trouncing from the Rice Owls, is finally at home for the first time this season and the first under first year head Coach Gary Goff, under the lights, and a loaded cannon ready, hoping. It probably won’t be easy as the Alcorn Braves, also suffering from a shutout loss to Tulane, hopes to heal its wounds against the Cowboys. The Demons, fresh off a thumping by Grambling, visits FBS Southern Mississippi. The others all face FCS opponents from the OVC, SWAC, WAC, Big Sky, and NEC.

Nicholls at SEMO 9/17/2022 2:00 PM
Commerce at Sam Houston 9/17/2022 6:00 PM
UIW at Prairie View A&M 9/17/2022 6:00 PM
Central Connecticut State at Southeastern 9/17/2022 6:00 PM
Northern Colorado at Lamar 9/17/2022 6:00 PM
Northwestern State at Southern Mississippi 9/17/2022 6:00 PM
Alcorn State at McNeese 9/17/2022 7:00 PM

bonarae
September 12th, 2022, 06:03 AM

McCowboys
September 12th, 2022, 06:05 AM

There is a poll right now. Also, in the future, please slow down. You are too fast and are responding when I am still typing the poll. Patience, please!

Daytripper
September 12th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Do yourself a favor and pick Commerce.

SFA 93
September 12th, 2022, 10:16 AM
Commerce is pretty good, don't take them lightly.

They have a true duel threat QB in Eric Rodriguez 5-9; 196 (So.) and they had Tennessee Tech on the road Saturday and lost in the final seconds.

He has 438 yards on 26 completions and 7TDs with only 1 INT along with 118 yards rushing (good speed in the open field)

Daytripper
September 12th, 2022, 10:27 AM
Commerce is pretty good, don't take them lightly.

They have a true duel threat QB in Eric Rodriguez 5-9; 196 (So.) and they had Tennessee Tech on the road Saturday and lost in the final seconds.

He has 438 yards on 26 completions and 7TDs with only 1 INT along with 118 yards rushing (good speed in the open field)

Trust me, I'm not taking Commerce lightly. After that ugly display Saturday I don't know if Sam Houston will win another game. Our OC is atrocious, as is our O-line.

Panther88
September 12th, 2022, 04:30 PM
Trust me, I'm not taking Commerce lightly. After that ugly display Saturday I don't know if Sam Houston will win another game. Our OC is atrocious, as is our O-line.

That's disheartening. I thought our atrocious & VERY weak OL was the worst. I have dna in the backfield & DB at SHSU, btw. Instead of watching IWU put its foot through PV's throat, I am considering traveling to Bowers to root for the 2 talented bearkat relatives.

McNeese72
September 13th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Well, I was 6-2 the first week and 5-3 the second week. Let's see if the downward trend continues this week.

Doc

Edit: I picked McNeese for the first time this week, but if the Cowboys play like they did against Rice, they could lose to Alcorn.

McCowboys
September 13th, 2022, 10:16 AM
Well, I was 6-2 the first week and 5-3 the second week. Let's see if the downward trend continues this week.

Doc

Edit: I picked McNeese for the first time this week, but if the Cowboys play like they did against Rice, they could lose to Alcorn.

Yep! I know what you mean. I think we all expected a closer game against Rice. Alcorn will be no pushover. In the last two games against the Braves, the Cowboys have won close games by 7 points and 3 points. The Cowboys are doing so many things right, but enough things wrong to sabotage it.

I hope your pick total will go back up again, especially in one game!

Daytripper
September 13th, 2022, 12:54 PM
That's disheartening. I thought our atrocious & VERY weak OL was the worst. I have dna in the backfield & DB at SHSU, btw. Instead of watching IWU put its foot through PV's throat, I am considering traveling to Bowers to root for the 2 talented bearkat relatives.

Our defense is great. but they can't pitch a shutout when the offense has 20 minutes of possession per game. We have very good skill position players but the OC doesn't know how to use them. The O-line can't protect the QB and on the off-chance they do give him time he stares down the receiver or takes off running after one read. I knew there would be some growing pains and adjustments with the loss of so many players and Ryan Carty, but jeezus....didn't think it would be this bad.

Panther88
September 14th, 2022, 12:31 AM
Our defense is great. but they can't pitch a shutout when the offense has 20 minutes of possession per game. We have very good skill position players but the OC doesn't know how to use them. The O-line can't protect the QB and on the off-chance they do give him time he stares down the receiver or takes off running after one read. I knew there would be some growing pains and adjustments with the loss of so many players and Ryan Carty, but jeezus....didn't think it would be this bad.

Where is talented Eric (Schmid)? I thought this was his last year.

The Cats
September 14th, 2022, 09:10 PM
done

katss07
September 15th, 2022, 07:48 PM
Where is talented Eric (Schmid)? I thought this was his last year.
He’s gone. Schmid had a year of eligibility remaining but decided to forgo it. He’d already spent 5 years at Sam essentially.

McCowboys
September 16th, 2022, 09:59 AM
He’s gone. Schmid had a year of eligibility remaining but decided to forgo it. He’d already spent 5 years at Sam essentially.

The poor kid. I don't think I have ever seen anyone beat up and pounded as much as him. And he never gave up. Wishing him well!

- - - Updated - - -

The poll closes in about 24 hours. Get your votes in if you haven't already.
Good luck to all SLC teams!

Daytripper
September 16th, 2022, 10:23 AM
The poor kid. I don't think I have ever seen anyone beat up and pounded as much as him. And he never gave up. Wishing him well!

- - - Updated - - -

The poll closes in about 24 hours. Get your votes in if you haven't already.
Good luck to all SLC teams!

Schmid may have been the toughest QB I have ever seen at any level. That guy took hit after hit and kept getting up. He will go down as an all-time great Bearkat.

McCowboys
September 16th, 2022, 10:53 AM
Schmid may have been the toughest QB I have ever seen at any level. That guy took hit after hit and kept getting up. He will go down as an all-time great Bearkat.

"Invictus" - bloody but unbowed. He was one tough cookie!

Panther88
September 16th, 2022, 06:15 PM
The poor kid. I don't think I have ever seen anyone beat up and pounded as much as him. And he never gave up. Wishing him well!!

His pedigree is 1000% championship and he hails from a school system which fosters champions in several sports. It's absurd for tx universities to vaguely ignore talented and gifted young men of montgomery county and allow "others" to enter and then offer youth.

I was happy when Eric received an offer from Sam. I was perplexed when his dad seemingly followed him onto the coaching staff. If Sam is into that type shenanigans, I'm open to be hired on Keeler's staff as an analyst lol. xlolx

Panther88
September 16th, 2022, 06:18 PM

He is far above he whose name I shall not call, the OU txfer lol. He is doing some "slight" stuff at the HS level which a few are not pleased with. xreadx

Eric is easily the face of the ('20) spring '21 FCS nat'l championship team, imho. Very proud of him.

Daytripper
September 16th, 2022, 06:24 PM
His pedigree is 1000% championship and he hails from a school system which fosters champions in several sports. It's absurd for tx universities to vaguely ignore talented and gifted young men of montgomery county and allow "others" to enter and then offer youth.

I was happy when Eric received an offer from Sam. I was perplexed when his dad seemingly followed him onto the coaching staff. If Sam is into that type shenanigans, I'm open to be hired on Keeler's staff as an analyst lol. xlolx

His dad was an unpaid analyst if I remember correctly. I just think it was a dad who wanted to maybe get a look inside the program his son was going to spend the next 4 years. Nothing nefarious.
Plus, it would a lot different if he was some 4 or 5 star recruit. I think Sam was the only D-1 program that offered him a scholarship.

McCowboys
September 18th, 2022, 05:10 PM
Good picking by the majority this week. The biggest upsets were Alcorn State over McNeese as only Puddin' Tame had that one picked correctly. The Cowboys are struggling and surely didn't help themselves with numerous mistakes, but Alcorn State is pretty decent. Watch out SWAC!
A milder suprise was Northern Colorado over Lamar.
After two tough FBS losses, the SLU Lions made a big statement with a beat down of CCSU. Maybe UIW will have a challenger after all. We won't have long to wait as SLC play opens this week with UIW visiting SLU in a huge showdown and struggling Lamar visiting the Northwestern State Demons.