PDA

View Full Version : Forward Lateral

boonegoon
October 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Not hating here at all but while watching the Wofford- Elon game on tv saw many instance of forward laterals during the option plays that Wofford runs. Has there been a rule change or is Wofford, or any other option-based attack, getting by with illegal men downfield? Just a general question on the option attack.

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2007, 10:33 AM
As long as it takes place behind the line of scrimmage it's okay, it's just a forward pass, not a pitch.

I think you were watching the GSU-Elon game. The end of the half touchdown "pass" was technically an option play.

boonegoon
October 16th, 2007, 10:39 AM
No, it was the Wofford Elon game last week and the announcers even commented on it. Bt, I thank you for answering my question. So a forward pass, as long as it doesn't cross the line of scrimmage, can take place with blockers downfield?

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 16th, 2007, 10:41 AM
No, it was the Wofford Elon game last week and the announcers even commented on it. Bt, I thank you for answering my question. So a forward pass, as long as it doesn't cross the line of scrimmage, can take place with blockers downfield?

Tell me who wins the game so I can bet big money on it xrolleyesx

http://www.wofford.edu/athletics/football/content.aspx?id=23366

mcveyrl
October 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Yea, I think it's analogous to a screen pass.

In the case of an option you'd have even more of an argument for the blockers being allowed downfield because they would be blocking for the option of the QB keeping the ball.

andy7171
October 16th, 2007, 10:53 AM
The QB can throw, pitch or toss the ball forward, as long as he is behind the LOS. If he is past the LOS, then he can only throw, pitch or toss the ball backwards or lateral to his position on the field.

As for down field blocking, ineligibale receivers can't be 5 yards down field from the LOS when the ball is thrown forward. This applies to all plays.

CID1990
October 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I can say that according to SoCon officials, if the QB throws the ball backwards to the receiver, and the receiver drops the ball, it is an incomplete pass.

Another SoCon football rule is that a player must be flat on his ass in order to be down.

andy7171
October 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I can say that according to SoCon officials, if the QB throws the ball backwards to the receiver, and the receiver drops the ball, it is an incomplete pass.

Another SoCon football rule is that a player must be flat on his ass in order to be down.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

boonegoon
October 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I meant Citadel-Wofford. My bad.

gophoenix
October 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM

It is actually considered a forward pass and counts towards passing/receiving stats rather than rushing stats. And no illegal men downfield if it happens behind the line of scrimmage.

It's a very unorthodox play, but we've been doing it all season.

terrierbob
October 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM
We usually use it when we're running up the score.

dungeonjoe
October 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Not hating here at all but while watching the Wofford- Elon game on tv saw many instance of forward laterals during the option plays that Wofford runs. Has there been a rule change or is Wofford, or any other option-based attack, getting by with illegal men downfield? Just a general question on the option attack.

Wofford-Elon has not happened yet nor will it be televised. Do you mean Wofford-Citadel or Wofford-App?

boonegoon
October 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Wofford-Elon has not happened yet nor will it be televised. Do you mean Wofford-Citadel or Wofford-App?

It was the Wofford-Citidel game. I corrected it earlier.

HensRock
October 16th, 2007, 01:11 PM

xlmaox Oh well in THAT case, it's perfectly legal!

walliver
October 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
There was at least one play against the Citadel were there did appear to be an illegal forward pass.

Supposedly these forward pitches are intentional so that when the quarterback makes a bad pitch it won't be a fumble, but my impression is that the quarterback is waiting so long to make his decision that the running backs are outrunning him.

Eaglesrus
October 16th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks for brining that up; a The Citadel guy pointing out that we were robbed on the takeaway Saturday!xnodx

CID1990
October 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM
There was at least one play against the Citadel were there did appear to be an illegal forward pass.

Supposedly these forward pitches are intentional so that when the quarterback makes a bad pitch it won't be a fumble, but my impression is that the quarterback is waiting so long to make his decision that the running backs are outrunning him.

Yes! We were robbed! That one play sapped us of the momentum that should have spelled a Bulldog victory! I demand a do-over!

walliver
October 16th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Yes! We were robbed! That one play sapped us of the momentum that should have spelled a Bulldog victory! I demand a do-over!

Win out and you may get a chance.xnodx

AmsterBison
October 16th, 2007, 05:12 PM
... but my impression is that the quarterback is waiting so long to make his decision that the running backs are outrunning him.

Yeah, that's probably what is happening. Sounds like a coach better have a talk about maintaining proper pitch relationship with Wofford's running backs - I'd imagine it isn't the QB's job to stay in front of the RB but rather the RB's job to stay in the right position behind and off to the side of the QB.

skinny_uncle
October 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, that's probably what is happening. Sounds like a coach better have a talk about maintaining proper pitch relationship with Wofford's running backs - I'd imagine it isn't the QB's job to stay in front of the RB but rather the RB's job to stay in the right position behind and off to the side of the QB.
If it's working and officials are not calling anything, why change it. If it ain't broke...............

eaglesrthe1
October 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks for brining that up; a The Citadel guy pointing out that we were robbed on the takeaway Saturday!xnodx

No, he's got to be talking about something else. What he's saying is just the opposite of what you're referring to. In that instance, all it took is for someone to get in the runners way, and he was down.

blueballs
October 16th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Unless he's the Elon QB trying to sneak into the endzone and gets the ball stolen from him by a GSU defender.xrulesx

Eyes of Old Main
October 17th, 2007, 09:21 AM
A lot of those pitches are overhand tosses which would clearly make them throws, not forward laterals.

Kevious Johnson scored on one last Saturday from about 16 yards out and I would have assumed it a run, but on the post-game radio wrap-up, they said it had been ruled a pass.

I guess that's just part of Wofford's master plan to pad it's passing numbers.

Eyes of Old Main
October 17th, 2007, 09:22 AM

Shhhhhhh! xshhhx

gophoenix
October 17th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Unless he's the Elon QB trying to sneak into the endzone and gets the ball stolen from him by a GSU defender.xrulesx

Cry cry cry.
The replay and announcers both showed that forward progress stopped.

Want to talk about roughing the passer in 2001 again?

terrierbob
October 17th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Forward lateral
Kevious expecting lateral from Collier

http://re3.mm-a5.yimg.com/image/3109310421