'Gate
Chippewas
Monmouth
Fordham
HC
W&M

RichH2
September 12th, 2022, 07:03 PM
The top of the PL will keep winning. Gate,HC and Rams.

ngineer
September 12th, 2022, 08:42 PM
I see the Raiders taking care of a Quacker team in their first game. 28-17

Bucknell at Central Michigan?????WTF!! where's my calculator?

Unless Monmouth is still recovering from the MU Relay Carnival last week, they should be able to have a leisurely run., 42-17

On paper gotta go with the Rams....however, this could be a classic 'let up' game for Fordham after being impressed with their offensive output last week. I think the Danes give the Rams a scare, but it will be FU, 33-28.

Holy Cross could also be set up for a 'trap' and the Eli are no slouch. Still, gotta go with the 'home' side, saders 28-24.

The Tribe will score enough to win as 'pards still try to figure out if they are allowed to touch the strange white line in front of the goal posts. W& M, 24-6

Lehigh will give the Spiders a battle, but won't have enough skill to pull off the upset, 30-17.

NY Crusader 2010
September 12th, 2022, 09:18 PM
Richmond 28 Lehigh 19
Penn 13 Colgate 10
Central Michigan 49 Bucknell 12
Monmouth 33 Georgetown 17
Fordham 35 Albany 31 => this game probably comes down to whoever has the ball last
Holy Cross 27 Yale 20
William & Mary 31 Lafayette 6

The Cats
September 12th, 2022, 09:24 PM
Richmond at Lehigh, 12:00pm
Colgate at Pennsylvania, 1:00pm
Bucknell at Central Michigan, 1:00pm
Georgetown at Monmouth, 1:00pm
Albany at Fordham, 1:00pm
Yale at Holy Cross, 2:00pm
William & Mary at Lafayette, 3:30pm

NY Crusader 2010
September 12th, 2022, 09:45 PM
Holy Cross has lost something like 11 out of the last 12 Homecoming games...we're due.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2022, 11:51 PM
These were taken from the Richmond message board.

Lehigh +18
Lafayette +14
Fordham -3.5
Georgetown +14.5

Lehigh an 18 point home dog to a Spider team that is coming off a 10 point win at home over St. Francis? Lehigh needs to be better than this! Honestly, I'm not sure if they'd cover 24.5 on Saturday....

MUHAWKS
September 13th, 2022, 07:09 AM
These were taken from the Richmond message board.

Lehigh +18
Lafayette +14
Fordham -3.5
Georgetown +14.5

Lehigh an 18 point home dog to a Spider team that is coming off a 10 point win at home over St. Francis? Lehigh needs to be better than this! Honestly, I'm not sure if they'd cover 24.5 on Saturday....

man if these were real mortgage your house on Monmouth

Go Green
September 13th, 2022, 08:08 AM
Holy Cross has lost something like 11 out of the last 12 Homecoming games...we're due.

I'd suggest moving homecoming for a weekend where victory would be certain. Yale ain't that.

Franks Tanks
September 13th, 2022, 09:16 AM
I see the Raiders taking care of a Quacker team in their first game. 28-17

Bucknell at Central Michigan?????WTF!! where's my calculator?

Unless Monmouth is still recovering from the MU Relay Carnival last week, they should be able to have a leisurely run., 42-17

On paper gotta go with the Rams....however, this could be a classic 'let up' game for Fordham after being impressed with their offensive output last week. I think the Danes give the Rams a scare, but it will be FU, 33-28.

Holy Cross could also be set up for a 'trap' and the Eli are no slouch. Still, gotta go with the 'home' side, saders 28-24.

The Tribe will score enough to win as 'pards still try to figure out if they are allowed to touch the strange white line in front of the goal posts. W& M, 24-6

Lehigh will give the Spiders a battle, but won't have enough skill to pull off the upset, 30-17.

Hey, the Pard’s QB is now 2 time Patriot League freshman of the week, or whatever they call it. All while throwing for 88 yards in 2 games.

He’s just not ready, and I hope we see Davis against W&M.

Fordham
September 13th, 2022, 09:23 AM

wow. crazy stat

Go Green
September 13th, 2022, 11:02 AM
wow. crazy stat

Of course, if Merrimack was their homecoming opponent last year.... they deserve it. :)

NY Crusader 2010
September 13th, 2022, 12:01 PM
Of course, if Merrimack was their homecoming opponent last year.... they deserve it. :)

Was Harvard. Holy Cross for whatever reason is big on putting all the eggs in one basket. We've several times scheduled Homecoming for the home football opener, and against a marquee opponent like Harvard, UMass, or this year Yale. Most schools will pick a non-rival that typically doesn't draw well, and very rarely do schools have Homecoming be the home opener. Seems like HC is doing this with our "Polar Park game" this year, scheduling Bucknell.

HC is also strange in that of late they've also had at least one year where Family Weekend occurred on a non-home football weekend.

crusader11
September 13th, 2022, 03:15 PM
5-1 last week and 12-1 on the young season....

Richmond at Lehigh -- No rational reason to be picking Lehigh. Maybe it's getting caught up in Richmond narrowly beating St. Francis at home and thinking Lehigh can actually put things together for their home-opener.

Colgate at Pennsylvania -- Middle of the Ivy is still better than the middle of the PL, especially at home.

Bucknell at Central Michigan -- Take the check and get home safely.

Georgetown at Monmouth -- Won't be pretty.

Albany at Fordham -- This has the makings of a tricky game for Fordham. Albany isn't bad. They're going to score on Fordham (seemingly everyone is going to), but can they outscore DeMorat? Don't think so.

Yale at Holy Cross -- Saturday at Fitton has all the makings of a really special day...home-opener, homecoming, Yale coming to town, etc. Can't have a let down here.

William & Mary at Lafayette -- If Lafayette had an offense, they might be able to pull the upset. Surely, Troxell won't trot Schuster out again, will he?

TheValleyRaider
September 13th, 2022, 08:12 PM
A big weekend for the League, but not as big for me. Only (only!) 4-2 last week, now 10-3 on the season, but I’ll take those two given the circumstances. Normally we’d have a big Patriot-Ivy slate this time of year, but only two of those matchups this week. Some interesting possibilities though, but I think these are relatively straightforward picks.

Richmond at Lehigh Richmond The Patriot League put together a big weekend against the CAA, can Lehigh keep the good feelings going against Richmond? Okay probably not. Another rematch from last season, as the Spiders thumped Lehigh in Virginia in 2021. Does Goodman give the Hawks 28 points against one of the CAA’s best? I’ll be rooting for it.

Colgate at Penn Colgate For all of our long history with the Ivies, this is only the 9th meeting all-time with the Quakers, and the first since 1996! One advantage PL sides bring to these early Ivy games is having games already played. Neither has had a winning record since 2018, so this is a bit nicer of an Ivy opener than recent games. Keep the good times going in Philly.

Bucknell at Central Michigan Central Michigan An improved Bucknell is still not necessarily a good Bucknell. But might make them an opponent capable of interesting games. I wouldn’t say that against the Chippewas, a decent FBS side. 0-3 looks like a tough start but does bely an improved team. When will it result in a win?

Georgetown at Monmouth Monmouth The Hawks get another shot at the Patriot League after coming up just short against Fordham. For the Hoyas, it is finally a shot at the CAA, even though this deal was struck when Monmouth was in the Big South. Take what you can get, this is something of a marquee OOC game for Georgetown. The result does not feel in doubt, but at least they get to try.

Albany at Fordham Fordham The Rams got a big win, playing to their strengths by outscoring the Hawks and hanging on at the end. Really don’t know how good the Danes are supposed to be. They were a playoff team in 2019, but that’s their only winning season in the last five years. Should be a fun matchup for two teams at opposite ends of the Hudson.

Yale at Holy Cross Holy Cross Now here is a spicy matchup. The defending PL champs taking on the Ivy champs of, um, 2019 (we’ll skip what has happened to Yale since then for now). This is also another rematch, a taut 20-17 Crusader win to open 2021 for Eli. This game is in Worcester, and the Cross will look to avoid the FBS hangover that bit them against Merrimack this year. I think they’re ready for that.

William & Mary at Lafayette William & Mary This is one of those games that feels like it’s been played a lot, and then I look and see it is 6 times in the last 10 years. That means I was right, which is always a good feeling in this context. The Tribe look pretty good so far, while the Leopards look good on defense. William & Mary won by 3 touchdowns a year ago in Williamsburg, not sure Easton is a 21-point swing. Or that Lafayette has 21 points in them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 14th, 2022, 08:56 PM
Colgate 27 Penn 21 - I like the Raiders to take down a the Quakers in their season opener. Overall, what has happened to Penn football? They seem to have fallen way behind Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth and Yale.

Central Michigan 45 Bucknell 17 - The Bison fought hard in their first two games but still showed an inability to step-up when it mattered. CMU figures to execute their game plan far better than the institutions's marketing department unloaded the "CMU" keyboard campaign....

Monmouth 56 Georgetown 31 - There will be points o'plenty in this one! The Hoyas have some talented skill guys but overall lack the talent depth to seriously challenge Monmouth.

Fordham 41 Albany 27 - The Rams have the potential for a special season. Can Conlin keep them focused and prepared for 11-12 week in order for Fordham to reach their potential. Playing the Danes in the Bronx gives me a little extra confidence in the Rams.

W&M 24 Lafayette 10 - The Leopards defense is one of the best units in FCS. However, their offense, while not "2021 Lehigh Bad" is quite inept which makes it nearly impossible to threaten a team of the Tribe's caliber.

Holy Cross 31 Yale 21 - In Chesney I trust! Yale and Harvard are likely the two best teams Holy Cross has left on the schedule. A win here and an undefeated regular season becomes a real possibility in Worcester.

Richmond 38 Lehigh 21 - Lehigh is marginally better than last season, yay! Unfortunately, the Mountain Hawks are still a poorly coached and lacks the "traditional" talent throughout its roster to compete with a CAA team with a pulse. Richmond will control this one for 60 minutes....

Southsider
September 15th, 2022, 07:22 AM
Colgate 27 Penn 21 - I like the Raiders to take down a the Quakers in their season opener. Overall, what has happened to Penn football? They seem to have fallen way behind Harvard, Princeton, Dartmouth and Yale.

Central Michigan 45 Bucknell 17 - The Bison fought hard in their first two games but still showed an inability to step-up when it mattered. CMU figures to execute their game plan far better than the institutions's marketing department unloaded the "CMU" keyboard campaign....

Monmouth 56 Georgetown 31 - There will be points o'plenty in this one! The Hoyas have some talented skill guys but overall lack the talent depth to seriously challenge Monmouth.

Fordham 41 Albany 27 - The Rams have the potential for a special season. Can Conlin keep them focused and prepared for 11-12 week in order for Fordham to reach their potential. Playing the Danes in the Bronx gives me a little extra confidence in the Rams.

W&M 24 Lafayette 10 - The Leopards defense is one of the best units in FCS. However, their offense, while not "2021 Lehigh Bad" is quite inept which makes it nearly impossible to threaten a team of the Tribe's caliber.

Holy Cross 31 Yale 21 - In Chesney I trust! Yale and Harvard are likely the two best teams Holy Cross has left on the schedule. A win here and an undefeated regular season becomes a real possibility in Worcester.

Richmond 38 Lehigh 21 - Lehigh is marginally better than last season, yay! Unfortunately, the Mountain Hawks are still a poorly coached and lacks the "traditional" talent throughout its roster to compete with a CAA team with a pulse. Richmond will control this one for 60 minutes....

Woke-ism is alive and well in Phila. That's what happened to Penn FB. Such a shame!

Go Green
September 15th, 2022, 08:15 AM

The most proximate cause is that they have not been able to develop a quarterback that scares people in a while.

They seem to be recruiting at other positions just fine. But at some point, your defense gets sick of going back onto the field after a three-and-out and/or defending a short field because of an interception or mishandled snap/handoff fumble.

Until Penn gets better production at QB, they ain't going anywhere. Maybe this is the year that things change. We will see.

Go...gate
September 15th, 2022, 04:51 PM
Richmond 23, Lehigh 17

Pennsylvania 20, Colgate 16

Central Michigan 34, Bucknell 10

Monmouth 30, Georgetown 13

Fordham 44, Albany 42

Holy Cross 28, Yale 24

William & Mary 22, Lafayette 17

Bonus pick: Princeton 38, Stetson 14

Son of Eli
September 15th, 2022, 08:13 PM
Chesney is a great coach. But Reno tends to rise to the occasion when people underestimate him. Yale will prevail.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 15th, 2022, 11:50 PM
Woke-ism is alive and well in Phila. That's what happened to Penn FB. Such a shame!

Yes, that's it! LOL xrolleyesx

Yale will beat Holy Cross on homecoming.

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2022, 05:38 AM
upset special

Albany over Fordham

Fordham
September 16th, 2022, 06:19 AM
upset special

Albany over Fordham
Hahaha. How would that be an “upset”? Appreciate the thoughts but just came on to post that not only is this a total toss up but the way our D played the first two weeks, we could get blown out if we’re not totally clicking on O and possibly scoring on every possession. That’s a lot of pressure on the O. Will be interesting for sure

caribbeanhen
September 16th, 2022, 06:45 AM
Hahaha. How would that be an “upset”? Appreciate the thoughts but just came on to post that not only is this a total toss up but the way our D played the first two weeks, we could get blown out if we’re not totally clicking on O and possibly scoring on every possession. That’s a lot of pressure on the O. Will be interesting for sure

It’s an upset because the Patriot league is back!

But seriously

I just think its a really interesting matchup between one of the best patriot league teams and one of the CAA teams that wasn’t predicted to have a very good season

Albany will play better defense than Monmouth

I don’t think Albany has the skill position players that Monmouth does, but they have some serviceable ones that should be able to score against your matador defense

I would never put my money where my mouth is on this game though

Tim Demorat, flying under the national radar a bit, but I have always liked him

Doc QB
September 16th, 2022, 07:23 AM
Patriot League goes 0-fer.

crusader11
September 16th, 2022, 07:32 AM
Zero wins in possible.

Three wins would be nice.

I think two is most likely.

Southsider
September 16th, 2022, 09:05 AM
Patriot League goes 0-fer.

ah, Doc, you are a realist, just like Lu/Tu Owl.

Southsider
September 16th, 2022, 09:10 AM
Yes, that's it! LOL xrolleyesx

Yale will beat Holy Cross on homecoming.

I better be careful, or you'll start throwing toast at me........

crusader11
September 16th, 2022, 09:20 AM
Can't wait for Yale!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FcuML4GWYAQ9YBz?format=jpg&name=large

Doc QB
September 16th, 2022, 11:06 AM
ah, Doc, you are a realist, just like Lu/Tu Owl.
But what I want is HC to paste Yale and their two dozen fifth years.
Colgate to convincingly handle Pennsylvania
Fordham to put 50 on Albany and win.
William & Mary to struggle with Lafayette.
And Lehigh to come out of hibernation and stun the spiders.

Those games being close, with more than usual smattering of PL fifth year guys (all other things really being same with coaching, talent, etc to other years) would hopefully demonstrate some guys hanging around programs for five years is a benefit competitively. And the schools dont suffer academically, ruin their endowment, US News Profile, or alum donations by them hanging around. Its been said here, this thread I believe, and I said it in another.

If the 0-fer happens, I'm not sure what to think. Other than its the same old same old. It is what it is. We competed. We beat ourselves. Its a tough place to play. They have transfers. They have redshirting. They have more scholarships. Blah, blah, blah.

RichH2
September 16th, 2022, 11:42 AM
But what I want is HC to paste Yale and their two dozen fifth years.
Colgate to convincingly handle Pennsylvania
Fordham to put 50 on Albany and win.
William & Mary to struggle with Lafayette.
And Lehigh to come out of hibernation and stun the spiders.

Those games being close, with more than usual smattering of PL fifth year guys (all other things really being same with coaching, talent, etc to other years) would hopefully demonstrate some guys hanging around programs for five years is a benefit competitively. And the schools dont suffer academically, ruin their endowment, US News Profile, or alum donations by them hanging around. Its been said here, this thread I believe, and I said it in another.

If the 0-fer happens, I'm not sure what to think. Other than its the same old same old. It is what it is. We competed. We beat ourselves. Its a tough place to play. They have transfers. They have redshirting. They have more scholarships. Blah, blah, blah.
Sums up my current feelings exactly. The disadvantages are pretty much the same as always. How PL addresses them must change. Redshirting ban was part of the negotiation to get some schools on board with schollies as a sophomore to the Ivies a Title IX at one. school and financial issues at 2 others. Events have proven that redshirting does not increase the $$ for aid.Actually none of the PL caps nor the AI serve any useful purpose for the PL. Repeal them all.

Leopard Loyalist
September 16th, 2022, 12:04 PM
Richmond 30 Lehigh 14
Colgate 21 Pennsylvania 17
Central Michigan 42 Bucknell 10
Monmouth 36 Georgetown 14
Fordham 42 Albany 34
Holy Cross 28 Yale 21
William & Mary 24 Lafayette 17

KPSUL
September 16th, 2022, 12:26 PM
It’s an upset because the Patriot league is back!

But seriously

I just think its a really interesting matchup between one of the best patriot league teams and one of the CAA teams that wasn’t predicted to have a very good season

Albany will play better defense than Monmouth

I don’t think Albany has the skill position players that Monmouth does, but they have some serviceable ones that should be able to score against your matador defense

I would never put my money where my mouth is on this game though

Tim Demorat, flying under the national radar a bit, but I have always liked him

Albany will likely play defense better than Fordham - but that in itself is not saying much. Albany's D was not stellar vs UNH. They were slow (more like never) in adjusting to UNH's zone blocking schemes. UNH QB Max Brosmer only dropped back to pass about 14 times, but the Albany D never came close to sacking him.

Albany RB Todd Sibley will have a banner day vs the Fordham D - pencil him in for the CAA Offensive player of the week. Albany QB Reese Poffenbarger will also have a big day. He probably flushes from the pocket a bit too easily, but he is the most elusive QB in the CAA and he throws well, even when on the run.. Stopping these guys, the yang and the ying, will not be easy for solid FCS Ds. Of course G.G. and his staff will need to figure out how to use these guys to their maximum effect, which is what makes this game a toss-up from my perspective.

DFW HOYA
September 16th, 2022, 12:28 PM
Sums up my current feelings exactly. The disadvantages are pretty much the same as always. How PL addresses them must change. Redshirting ban was part of the negotiation to get some schools on board with schollies as a sophomore to the Ivies a Title IX at one. school and financial issues at 2 others. Events have proven that redshirting does not increase the $$ for aid.Actually none of the PL caps nor the AI serve any useful purpose for the PL. Repeal them all.

The PL doesn't address change. They don't care.

Fordham
September 16th, 2022, 03:39 PM
Albany will likely play defense better than Fordham - but that in itself is not saying much. Albany's D was not stellar vs UNH. They were slow (more like never) in adjusting to UNH's zone blocking schemes. UNH QB Max Brosmer only dropped back to pass about 14 times, but the Albany D never came close to sacking him.

Albany RB Todd Sibley will have a banner day vs the Fordham D - pencil him in for the CAA Offensive player of the week. Albany QB Reese Poffenbarger will also have a big day. He probably flushes from the pocket a bit too easily, but he is the most elusive QB in the CAA and he throws well, even when on the run.. Stopping these guys, the yang and the ying, will not be easy for solid FCS Ds. Of course G.G. and his staff will need to figure out how to use these guys to their maximum effect, which is what makes this game a toss-up from my perspective.

Uh oh

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 16th, 2022, 10:32 PM
Saw the Morning Call's Keith Groller picked.......

Richmond 35 Lehigh 17

W&M 24 Lafayette 13

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2022, 05:44 AM
William & Mary should beat Laffy by 21 at least

I’m thinking The Tribe is a top 3 CAA team not really dissing on Laffy here

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2022, 05:48 AM

this is a good analysis but you raise my eyebrow with your comments on QB Reese Poffenbarger being the most elusive quarterback in the CAA, I did manage to watch about 10 minutes of your game versus Albany and he looked pretty good but need a bigger sample

NY Crusader 2010
September 17th, 2022, 06:42 AM
William & Mary should beat Laffy by 21 at least

I’m thinking The Tribe is a top 3 CAA team not really dissing on Laffy here

They're definitely better than Temple. I think I had this game at 31-6, even though it's in Easton.

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2022, 06:52 AM
They're definitely better than Temple. I think I had this game at 31-6, even though it's in Easton.

totally reasonable prediction

crusader11
September 17th, 2022, 07:18 AM
Lehigh +18.5

Bucknell +40.5

Fordham -6.5

Colgate +3.5

Holy Cross -8.5

Not seeing lines yet for Georgetown and Lafayette.

crusader11
September 17th, 2022, 10:23 AM
Always need to take the depth chart in the game notes with a grain of salt, but Ryan Schuster still listed as QB1 for Lafayette.

You have to believe that if Lafayette's offense sputters through the first quarter / half, Davis will be given a shot...right?

Ivytalk
September 17th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Lehigh +18.5

Bucknell +40.5

Fordham -6.5

Colgate +3.5

Holy Cross -8.5

Not seeing lines yet for Georgetown and Lafayette.

Holy Cross is an 8.5 point favorite? Tempting….

IslandPard
September 17th, 2022, 11:00 AM
Hey, the Pard’s QB is now 2 time Patriot League freshman of the week, or whatever they call it. All while throwing for 88 yards in 2 games.

He’s just not ready, and I hope we see Davis against W&M.

I agree. I think we see the defense finally break this week. I hope I'm wrong but I believe we'll get blown out again W&M. It only took one injury on special teams to produce 3 blocked punts. If the defense sustains an injury or two and the offense continues like is has, it will get ugly quickly.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2022, 11:41 AM
Richmond 13 Lehigh 0 14:37 2Q

at the game ..lehigh looks bad on both sides of the ball...

MR. CHICKEN
September 17th, 2022, 12:10 PM
RICHMOND 20
LEHIGH 0

RICHMOND'S UDINSKI IS CURRENTLY 17-17 2TD PASSES......AWK!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2022, 12:24 PM
Richmond 20 Lehigh 0 Half

Lehigh is incompetent. Glad the next 3 weeks are what they are....

crusader11
September 17th, 2022, 12:25 PM
Very disappointing for Lehigh.

Gilmore is supposed to have them further along.

RichH2
September 17th, 2022, 12:30 PM
Richmond 13 Lehigh 0 14:37 2Q

at the game ..lehigh looks bad on both sides of the ball...
+1
Abysmal. Unaggressive. We can run so OC goes to pass only. Moronic 1st period. D is playing tentative to avoid mistakes. Staff supposed to teach them how not to commit them not just sit back to avoid. Unwatchable game so far.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2022, 12:30 PM

Gilmore is a bum! His staff is subpar since no quality assistant in their right mind will work for him.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2022, 12:33 PM
Monmouth 14 GTown 0 4:11 1q

Fordham 10 Albany 0 late 1Q

crusader11
September 17th, 2022, 12:34 PM
I hope and assume, when you call him a "bum," it's just his coaching abilities and nothing more.

In my dealings with him, I've found him to be a real stand-up man.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2022, 12:38 PM
I hope and assume, when you call him a "bum," it's just his coaching abilities and nothing more.

In my dealings with him, I've found him to be a real stand-up man.

Meh, anyone who has to address his "anger management issues" as it relates to working with him in a professional setting n their intro press conference has clear red flags. This is supported by others in the coaching fraternity...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2022, 12:52 PM
TD Lehigh...missed xp

Richmond 20-6 10:08 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2022, 01:09 PM
TD Richmond..

Spiders 27-6 3:25 3Q

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2022, 01:28 PM
Georgetown 6
Monmouth 28
12:35 3rd

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Ready for Pards at 330. i wont be there. Chip72? START DAVIS!!!!!!!!!!

Lehigh'98
September 17th, 2022, 02:00 PM
Lehigh is completely uninspired. Really not worth watching these days.

DFW HOYA
September 17th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Georgetown 6
Monmouth 45
Final

Fordham
September 17th, 2022, 03:46 PM
Fordham wins. Same script. Incredible O and one of the worst D’s I’ve ever seen. Still, back to back CAA wins. I’ll take it

Fordham 48
Albany 45

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2022, 04:02 PM
At half in Easton William amd Mary 17, Lafayette 7

Franks Tanks
September 17th, 2022, 04:19 PM
Pard’s are actually throwing the ball well. Twice as many yards in the 1st half than the prior 2 games combined! Good sign, but W&M is really good.

Southsider
September 17th, 2022, 04:49 PM

Not possible. Another year, another flop. I stayed to see the band at half, then left. They are far more entertaining. BTW, lots were full. Not everyone came in though. They new better...........

Pards Rule
September 17th, 2022, 04:49 PM
Score on W&M game??

Southsider
September 17th, 2022, 04:51 PM
Lehigh is completely uninspired. Really not worth watching these days.

The rot starts at the top. Sterrett blew it!

- - - Updated - - -

Score on W&M game??

WM up 24-7 late 3rd.

IslandPard
September 17th, 2022, 04:52 PM
Score on W&M game??

24-7 W&M. W&M marching down the field.

caribbeanhen
September 17th, 2022, 08:39 PM
Fordham wins. Same script. Incredible O and one of the worst D’s I’ve ever seen. Still, back to back CAA wins. I’ll take it

Fordham 48
Albany 45

Congrats on the win. Fun game

Go...gate
September 17th, 2022, 09:51 PM
Did anyone see Colgate-Pennsylvania?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 17th, 2022, 10:03 PM

Myself and the TheValleyRaider were not our usual selves today. I made the mistake of going to the Lehigh vs Richmond debacle. I can promise you, I won't be making that mistake again anytime soon!

Tough loss for Colgate but the schedule has simply not been kind. Their PL hopes really come down to next week imo. HC is not losing twice in PL play....

TheValleyRaider
September 17th, 2022, 10:32 PM

Had the first half on, but only in the background before leaving

Looks like the defense played well, but the offense struggled. Sounds like that is going to be the story of the season.

Big one next week, nice to get HC in Hamilton

Southsider
September 18th, 2022, 05:54 PM
After checking the LU Forum, it's clear that most die-hards have had it. Gilmore and staff are plain awful. LU always cherished the underdog role and came to play. No more. I think back to recent history. Albany comes to Goodman and walks away with a W. St. Francis comes in and plays their asses of. Lost by one but clearly superior. Merrimack comes in and proved they belong. That's what LU used to do! When I walk the mezzanine at Goodman, I always check out the visitor's sideline. Players always look bigger, stronger, and more mature. No doubt the redshirt rule has a lot to do with it. But even league mates appear the same way to me. Why? It seems that week after week it's men vs. boys. Am I the only one who sees this? The PL needs to wake up to reality. If they don't, then LU needs to decide what they want to be. I have seen Muhlenberg recently, and they would give LU a battle. Who would have thunk it!

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2022, 06:46 PM

Penn attendance is taking a beating.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/penn_400.jpg

ngineer
September 18th, 2022, 09:32 PM
Penn attendance is taking a beating.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/images/penn_400.jpg

As stated previously, elsewhere, the culture on the northeast campuses has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. Students aren't 'investing' 3-4 hours of their Saturday to sit in the stands (and not be allowed to drink) and watch gladiators. I was at Lehigh game and generously estimate 7,000 in the stands. This, on Family Weekend! As I was walking to the Stadium the big tailgate event for the parents in the tent had just finished and the majority of those leaving the luncheon were headed toward to the parking lot, not the stadium. We go down to Princeton next Saturday in the country's best FCS stadium that will likely have about 6,000 in 27,770 seats.

DFW HOYA
September 18th, 2022, 09:46 PM
As stated previously, elsewhere, the culture on the northeast campuses has changed dramatically over the last 10 years. Students aren't 'investing' 3-4 hours of their Saturday to sit in the stands (and not be allowed to drink) and watch gladiators. I was at Lehigh game and generously estimate 7,000 in the stands. This, on Family Weekend! As I was walking to the Stadium the big tailgate event for the parents in the tent had just finished and the majority of those leaving the luncheon were headed toward to the parking lot, not the stadium. We go down to Princeton next Saturday in the country's best FCS stadium that will likely have about 6,000 in 27,770 seats.

I would counter with this thought: students invest their time in the Northeast at places like Penn State, or Pitt, or even BC, because the quality is perceived to be there. Students have an innate sense of which teams owe their interest and which do not; thus, a Syracuse football game will draw thousands of students while a Syracuse volleyball game will not.

Students do not take the quality of Ivy League football (and by extension, PL football) seriously, save for a pair of rivalry games such as Harvard-Yale and Lafayette-Lehigh. Were Penn to be playing Oklahoma this past weekend and winning 49-14, the turnout would be more pronounced and the investment more personal.

Go Green
September 19th, 2022, 08:08 AM
I would counter with this thought: students invest their time in the Northeast at places like Penn State, or Pitt, or even BC, because the quality is perceived to be there. Students have an innate sense of which teams owe their interest and which do not; thus, a Syracuse football game will draw thousands of students while a Syracuse volleyball game will not.

Students do not take the quality of Ivy League football (and by extension, PL football) seriously, save for a pair of rivalry games such as Harvard-Yale and Lafayette-Lehigh. Were Penn to be playing Oklahoma this past weekend and winning 49-14, the turnout would be more pronounced and the investment more personal.

What is frustrating is that the Penn State, Pitt, BC, et al were all perceived to be better programs no later than the 1950s. Setting aside other FCS conferences in the Northeast, the quality of Ivy football is much higher than it was 20-30 years ago. Yet attendance still continues to drop every year...

Penn and Yale (except when Harvard visits) likely play before the most empty seats in all of sports these days....

NY Crusader 2010
September 19th, 2022, 08:38 AM
What is frustrating is that the Penn State, Pitt, BC, et al were all perceived to be better programs no later than the 1950s. Setting aside other FCS conferences in the Northeast, the quality of Ivy football is much higher than it was 20-30 years ago. Yet attendance still continues to drop every year...

Penn and Yale (except when Harvard visits) likely play before the most empty seats in all of sports these days....

My thoughts on Ivy attendance #s dropping:

1) Aside from some fellow varsity athletes, very few students on Ivy League campuses have any clue about the quality of the football being played. Guarantee if you knocked on every dorm room last fall and polled Yale students prior to last year's UCONN game what the score would be, the average guess would've been that Yale would lose like 45-7. So the fact that the quality of Ivy football has indeed risen significantly as a whole since 1990 is immaterial and unseen by most students and alum.

2) If you look at Ivy football rosters from the 1940's and 1950's, the majority of players were recruited locally and the student bodies were less "national" than they are today. I was recently at my grandmother's memorial dinner (she passed in May) and her husband, my late grandfather, was USNA '51 and played football. Back then Navy played 2 or 3 Ivies every year and the opponents' rosters were in the 1949 media guide displayed at the restaurant where we had the memorial. Penn's entire team was from the Philly area, Columbia's whole team was from Metro NY. Back then Brown and Dartmouth were heavy with Boston area guys. You figure by the 1970's and 1980's most Ivy student bodies were becoming national and even international in scope, like they continue to be today. But through the '80's you would still had alum from the '40's, '50's and '60's living more locally to the schools and thus attending more games.

3) Through 1970, you still had Ivies popping up in major college national rankings so people that were around during that era didn't immediately stop following Ivy League football at the time of the I-A/I-AA split. As the level of play dropped off between 1970 and 1990, the attendance dropped. And after 1990, despite the ramp up in play between then and now, attendance continues to drop for reasons I list above. And despite the fact that the quality of play and league depth has ramped up a ton this past decade, the perceived level of play among Ivy circles has not. Not going to say lack of playoff participation is THE REASON for this but it probably is a small factor. Maybe if the Ivies were scheduling more regular non-conference games against the service academies, Duke, Northwestern, Rice, BC, Syracuse, etc. and occasionally winning, there'd be some more juice.

Franks Tanks
September 19th, 2022, 09:47 AM
My thoughts on Ivy attendance #s dropping:

1) Aside from some fellow varsity athletes, very few students on Ivy League campuses have any clue about the quality of the football being played. Guarantee if you knocked on every dorm room last fall and polled Yale students prior to last year's UCONN game what the score would be, the average guess would've been that Yale would lose like 45-7. So the fact that the quality of Ivy football has indeed risen significantly as a whole since 1990 is immaterial and unseen by most students and alum.

2) If you look at Ivy football rosters from the 1940's and 1950's, the majority of players were recruited locally and the student bodies were less "national" than they are today. I was recently at my grandmother's memorial dinner (she passed in May) and her husband, my late grandfather, was USNA '51 and played football. Back then Navy played 2 or 3 Ivies every year and the opponents' rosters were in the 1949 media guide displayed at the restaurant where we had the memorial. Penn's entire team was from the Philly area, Columbia's whole team was from Metro NY. Back then Brown and Dartmouth were heavy with Boston area guys. You figure by the 1970's and 1980's most Ivy student bodies were becoming national and even international in scope, like they continue to be today. But through the '80's you would still had alum from the '40's, '50's and '60's living more locally to the schools and thus attending more games.

3) Through 1970, you still had Ivies popping up in major college national rankings so people that were around during that era didn't immediately stop following Ivy League football at the time of the I-A/I-AA split. As the level of play dropped off between 1970 and 1990, the attendance dropped. And after 1990, despite the ramp up in play between then and now, attendance continues to drop for reasons I list above. And despite the fact that the quality of play and league depth has ramped up a ton this past decade, the perceived level of play among Ivy circles has not. Not going to say lack of playoff participation is THE REASON for this but it probably is a small factor. Maybe if the Ivies were scheduling more regular non-conference games against the service academies, Duke, Northwestern, Rice, BC, Syracuse, etc. and occasionally winning, there'd be some more juice.

Nailed it! Really, attendance is spotty at all but the big Power 5 schools where the game also feels like a massive social event.

Pretty much any school in a city has crappy attendance as well…Pitt, Temple, UCLA, Miami

DFW HOYA
September 19th, 2022, 10:07 AM
Pretty much any school in a city has crappy attendance as well…Pitt, Temple, UCLA, Miami

USC does fine. So too the University of Washington. Austin is the nation's 11th largest city so you'll have to add Texas to that city list.

NY Crusader 2010
September 19th, 2022, 10:20 AM
USC does fine. So too the University of Washington. Austin is the nation's 11th largest city so you'll have to add Texas to that city list.

And they just did a special on how single-game ticket prices at the major schools are going through the roof, in some cases selling for more in second-hand markets than an entire season ticket package. Demand is at never-before-seen levels at places like UT-Austin.

I think at our level one factor driving down attendance is the streaming access now widely available for FCS games. Attendance at FCS schools in New England is driven mostly by the smaller, core groups of passionate fans as opposed to those looking for an event or to be at the "big party" and be able to put it on Snapchat or TikTok. So when fans like me have a conflict come up that we otherwise would've skipped to go to a game (i.e. a softball teammate hosting a party or a friend you haven't seen in a couple months invites you to play golf in the AM), we're more likely to have our cake and eat it too. So now I can get my 18 holes in and still put the HC game on the big screen in my living room, or have it on my IPAD in the back yard while grilling.

Doc QB
September 19th, 2022, 10:24 AM
After checking the LU Forum, it's clear that most die-hards have had it. Gilmore and staff are plain awful. LU always cherished the underdog role and came to play. No more. I think back to recent history. Albany comes to Goodman and walks away with a W. St. Francis comes in and plays their asses of. Lost by one but clearly superior. Merrimack comes in and proved they belong. That's what LU used to do! When I walk the mezzanine at Goodman, I always check out the visitor's sideline. Players always look bigger, stronger, and more mature. No doubt the redshirt rule has a lot to do with it. But even league mates appear the same way to me. Why? It seems that week after week it's men vs. boys. Am I the only one who sees this? The PL needs to wake up to reality. If they don't, then LU needs to decide what they want to be. I have seen Muhlenberg recently, and they would give LU a battle. Who would have thunk it!

Southsider, I sat above the hill Saturday with some teammates circa early 90's and we thought the exact same thing. I agree it seems that way weekly. The CAA teams always look bigger and more athletic. Having watched HC curbstomp Yale, I think they look a whole lot more like a CAA team. Certainly playing well, too. Its gonna be a very long year with Fordham and HC to go. Monmouth will score more on us than Nova. Saw Colgate-Penn and wasnt overly impressed by either, but they are ahead of us. We may not score on the Pards.

And, I would add Stony Brook, Towson, Albany, Monmouth have all passed us by. Some of the NEC teams as well (looking at you Sacred Heart). Maybe the NEC as a whole has passed LU by. They have an excellent argument that already they have.

And this isnt sour grapes over some mediocre years recently. Its the product on the field. We were 3-8 my sophomore year, but put up 30+ a game mostly through the air. Lost several games by single digits. But we were close. We were always in the fight because we could score. Not any more.

NY Crusader 2010
September 19th, 2022, 11:28 AM
Southsider, I sat above the hill Saturday with some teammates circa early 90's and we thought the exact same thing. I agree it seems that way weekly. The CAA teams always look bigger and more athletic. Having watched HC curbstomp Yale, I think they look a whole lot more like a CAA team. Certainly playing well, too. Its gonna be a very long year with Fordham and HC to go. Monmouth will score more on us than Nova. Saw Colgate-Penn and wasnt overly impressed by either, but they are ahead of us. We may not score on the Pards.

And, I would add Stony Brook, Towson, Albany, Monmouth have all passed us by. Some of the NEC teams as well (looking at you Sacred Heart). Maybe the NEC as a whole has passed LU by. They have an excellent argument that already they have.

And this isnt sour grapes over some mediocre years recently. Its the product on the field. We were 3-8 my sophomore year, but put up 30+ a game mostly through the air. Lost several games by single digits. But we were close. We were always in the fight because we could score. Not any more.

Having 16 "COVID super seniors" return to play their last season at Holy Cross, rather than pursue grad school scholarship opportunities, has been a huge, HUGE help.

The 2022 Holy Cross team IMO is what a prototypical top-flight Patriot League team should look like in a world where non-medical redshirting is allowed. Granted, most members would still be up against guys leaving for potential grad opportunities as opposed to extending out their undergrad degree timeline at a liberal arts school.

Doc QB
September 19th, 2022, 11:49 AM
Having 16 "COVID super seniors" return to play their last season at Holy Cross, rather than pursue grad school scholarship opportunities, has been a huge, HUGE help.
The 2022 Holy Cross team IMO is what a prototypical top-flight Patriot League team should look like in a world where non-medical redshirting is allowed. Granted, most members would still be up against guys leaving for potential grad opportunities as opposed to extending out their undergrad degree timeline at a liberal arts school.
Agree. You guys looked solid across all phases. Yale was never in game. Not sure better QB play from them would have mattered, HC in control the whole way from what I saw on TV.

And the 14K in attendance probably didnt care there were fifth years seniors on the roster. Didnt drag down HC in rankings for liberal arts schools, didnt take admission slots from a highly regarded frosh applicants, didnt turn HC into a football factory, didnt negatively affect philanthropy. You had a beautiful fall day in New England, a good crowd, and a convincing W over one of the ancient 8 with a veteran, well coached team, a program going in the right direction.

Should be a model for the whole PL and one embraced by the entire league.