PDA

View Full Version : Is the Patriot League Back?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2022, 12:08 AM
FBS Upset and 2-0 against the CAA this week. Lafayette was within striking distance of Temple going into the 4th quarter. Even Bucknell didn't get blown out by VMI. Is the Patriot League back?

UNHWildcat18
September 11th, 2022, 06:01 AM
Idk man Maine and Monmouth could be in the bottom 4 of the CAA this year..Holy Cross though is certainly back…

Fordham
September 11th, 2022, 06:05 AM
Idk man Maine and Monmouth could be in the bottom 4 of the CAA this year..Holy Cross though is certainly back…

Totally agree

MUHAWKS
September 11th, 2022, 06:37 AM
Nothing will be truly proven for weeks. I think it is fair to say The PL is much better. In reality it is still just HC, Fordham and then everyone else. I guess maybe a case can be made for Colgate or Lafayette. Either way even if that form does hold this year probably early to call an entire league back. With that said, having two very good teams both ranked or one ranked and one close with two good ones is certainly pretty good for a 7 team conference.

In terms of Fordham, I knew this would be a very tough game for us. Neither team can play defense which is a huge problem for anyone wanting to beat a really good team. With us, the problem is entirely our D line. With that said The Fordham offense is elite and can and will perform against most FCS schools. The timing DeMorat has down with his WR's is amazing. There were at least 6-7 throws, some for TD's that were actually defended well but were put on a dime.. Impressive stuff.

crusader11
September 11th, 2022, 07:38 AM
Is the PL back?

To be determined. Next week might be a rude dose of reality with a really challenging slate for the league.

Positive early returns though.

In 12 OOC games, the league is 7-5 (3-0 NEC, 1-0 PFL, 2-2 CAA, 1-2 FBS, 0-1 SoCon).

gravalico
September 11th, 2022, 07:42 AM
FBS Upset and 2-0 against the CAA this week. Lafayette was within striking distance of Temple going into the 4th quarter. Even Bucknell didn't get blown out by VMI. Is the Patriot League back?I'm feeling pretty confident that Lafayette football is back. Not suggesting we're going to win the league or make the playoffs. That being said, a shocking upset victory, hanging tough for three quarters with an FBS team and the best defense in the league is a pretty damn good start for the Troxell era. If the offense can get marginally better and the defense can continue to dominate I think we'll be in the mix at the end of the year. And that is way more than anyone could have expected from this program given that it is in the middle of a complete overhaul.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

TheValleyRaider
September 11th, 2022, 08:39 AM
Not sure about "back" (whatever that means), but definitely improved from the recent past. However good Maine and Monmouth end up being, those are still games the PL largely loses over the last couple of seasons. Nice to get a few in the win column this time.

Hot take time: this is the result of improved coaching around the League. We know about Chesney and HC, but Troxell looks like a good hire, Cecchini is a good coach (even if we question Bucknell's commitment to the sport overall), Conlin might not be great but his offense can score, and Dakosty might be a good one (all about raising that baseline).

RichH2
September 11th, 2022, 08:45 AM
FBS Upset and 2-0 against the CAA this week. Lafayette was within striking distance of Temple going into the 4th quarter. Even Bucknell didn't get blown out by VMI. Is the Patriot League back?

Back? TBD. But PL is better. 2 very good squads in Cross and Rams. Gate and Pards are tough outs if not complete teams. Lehigh in its 4th yr of rebuilding has improved somewhat but has a ways to go yet. GU has some talent but has the same ongoing issues with GU policies. Bucknell seems willing but not yet competitive.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2022, 08:48 AM

Yep and don’t forget Towson

CHIP72
September 11th, 2022, 08:55 AM
Maybe, but maybe not. IMO, the Patriot League/CAA results say more about the CAA than they do about the Patriot League. And while Lafayette, or more accurately the Leopards' defense, played solidly (in a game I attended), Temple's three turnovers in their own territory were a big reason why the game stayed close much of the way. LC has gained less than 250 yards combined in its first two games.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2022, 08:57 AM
PL appears improved, and Cross is still very strong, but work still to do before we can state with certainty that it is "back".

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2022, 08:59 AM
PL got some good match ups

Not surprised really with yesterday’s results

PL a little better and FCS a bit worse

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2022, 09:30 AM
Hot take time: this is the result of improved coaching around the League. We know about Chesney and HC, but Troxell looks like a good hire, Cecchini is a good coach (even if we question Bucknell's commitment to the sport overall), Conlin might not be great but his offense can score, and Dakosty might be a good one (all about raising that baseline).

You're missing two.

Sitting Bull
September 11th, 2022, 09:41 AM
PL got some good match ups

Not surprised really with yesterday’s results

PL a little better and FCS a bit worse

Agree here except the final comment about FCS. Not that it may be wrong, just hard to tell given much of the FCS strength is out west. Two of the four wins vs FBS yesterday were in the west and they weren’t even that close. IW by 14 at Nevada and Weber 35-7 over Utah State. It may be fair for the East just in terms of JMU leaving.

The FCS benefits with a stronger Patriot League. Good to see the improvement. Hope the fans up there reciprocate.

gravalico
September 11th, 2022, 10:12 AM
Maybe, but maybe not. IMO, the Patriot League/CAA results say more about the CAA than they do about the Patriot League. And while Lafayette, or more accurately the Leopards' defense, played solidly (in a game I attended), Temple's three turnovers in their own territory were a big reason why the game stayed close much of the way. LC has gained less than 250 yards combined in its first two games.Yes but Temple's three turnovers were absolutely caused by Lafayette's defense. It's a trend they started last week and continued against Temple. Let's not suggest that both of these teams simply have no concept of how to protect the ball. Gang tackling, attacking the man first and the ball second, had a lot to do with those turnovers. Credit where credit is due.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Agree here except the final comment about FCS. Not that it may be wrong, just hard to tell given much of the FCS strength is out west. Two of the four wins vs FBS yesterday were in the west and they weren’t even that close. IW by 14 at Nevada and Weber 35-7 over Utah State. It may be fair for the East just in terms of JMU leaving.

The FCS benefits with a stronger Patriot League. Good to see the improvement. Hope the fans up there reciprocate.

Sitting Bull

how did you like the Tim Demorat show yesterday

Sitting Bull
September 11th, 2022, 10:30 AM
Sitting Bull

how did you like the Tim Demorat show yesterday

I don’t know who that is?

Fordham
September 11th, 2022, 10:34 AM
Here’s my hot take. This is how a PL with redshirting would perform. The extra Covid years are giving us a group of players who are 22 y/o+ men on the squad where we never had that before. HC and Fordham definitely benefiting from that imo and I wish the league would finally allow it.

Fordham
September 11th, 2022, 10:38 AM
In terms of Fordham, I knew this would be a very tough game for us. Neither team can play defense which is a huge problem for anyone wanting to beat a really good team. With us, the problem is entirely our D line. With that said The Fordham offense is elite and can and will perform against most FCS schools. The timing DeMorat has down with his WR's is amazing. There were at least 6-7 throws, some for TD's that were actually defended well but were put on a dime.. Impressive stuff.

Thanks. Have to say that we felt the same about your QB and WRs fwiw. At the end of the day those were two lousy defenses and it’s tough to tell much other than that we were really impressed with your O all around. The late INT was such a huge moment and I have no idea why you guys chose to throw there v just continuing to shove it down our throats. We were all joking at halftime that your coaches had to be like “I can’t believe we’re losing to these guys” after the pummeling you gave our D in the first half. In a weird way, we tired out your D by having longer drives whereas you guys scored lightning quick. At the end, your D got exhausted and at least our crappy D wasn’t as tired.

KPSUL
September 11th, 2022, 10:42 AM
Here’s my hot take. This is how a PL with redshirting would perform. The extra Covid years are giving us a group of players who are 22 y/o+ men on the squad where we never had that before. HC and Fordham definitely benefiting from that imo and I wish the league would finally allow it.

Your point is very well taken!

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2022, 11:11 AM

Hope so! Pards put forth good effort against Temple and rest are winning or in the gane!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2022, 12:12 PM
How does one define back?

Holy Cross is at the level that was expected of them heading into the season. They rid themselves of a sub-par coach, Tom Gilmore, and hired a proven winner in Bob Chesney to facilitate the upward trajectory. This is the PL's best team since 2018 Colgate.

Fordham arguably has the most talented roster in the league (i'd argue they've had it for the last decade) but inconsistent coaching/player motivation has cost them at critical times. I still see them as a 7-4 type team when it is all said and done.

Colgate has really played well since mid-October 2021. Dakosty has found his footing as a head coach after being delt a tough hand following the Hunt firing. Even so, they're schedule is still quite difficult, yet I am hopeful they can grind out a winning record.

Lafayette already looks far more competent under Troxell's leadership. Their defense is truly special and will keep them in games. With that said, they have absolutely nothing on offense so a winning season is still a year away imo.

Bucknell they are far more competitive this year but will ultimately end up with a losing record again. They lack team speed/skill on offense. Cecchini and his staff might be good enough to steal them a win. Fordham?

Lehigh is a poorly coached team who has some nice pieces but overall lags behind Fordham and Holy Cross by a wide margin which is sad to see given Lehigh's general talent base the last 25 years. I have a hard time seeing more than 4 wins. The next month is going to be rough....

Georgetown is not a well-coached team. The "Sgarlata does so much with so little" narrative has thankfully finally fallen by the wayside. His teams do not play smart, fundamental football and his in-game decision making is awful. Georgetown outplayed Lehigh last night but made far more mistakes....

Sitting Bull
September 11th, 2022, 12:22 PM
I don’t know who that is?

I had to look it up, the QB at Fordham who appears to be a very high quality young man! I will certainly follow him from here on.

MUHAWKS
September 11th, 2022, 03:31 PM
Thanks. Have to say that we felt the same about your QB and WRs fwiw. At the end of the day those were two lousy defenses and it’s tough to tell much other than that we were really impressed with your O all around. The late INT was such a huge moment and I have no idea why you guys chose to throw there v just continuing to shove it down our throats. We were all joking at halftime that your coaches had to be like “I can’t believe we’re losing to these guys” after the pummeling you gave our D in the first half. In a weird way, we tired out your D by having longer drives whereas you guys scored lightning quick. At the end, your D got exhausted and at least our crappy D wasn’t as tired.

Yep agreed. I said this before our game so it is not biased- Fordham is good. That offense alone can keep you in most games. With 2 CAA and 1 FBS in next 5 weeks, you will have the chance to prove it. I hope Monmouth can get things going and maybe validate this win for you as well. I think defensively neither team is as bad as yesterday but neither will end up improving to a point where they are better than "we played decent this week on defense" type. It is tough to win games, period. Fordham IMO will give pretty much any FCS team in the East fits on Offense- and since your line is actually pretty good maybe eve beyond that. Should be a fun ride..

Sader87
September 11th, 2022, 07:27 PM
Holy Cross is one of the best, if not the best FCS team in the Northeast....Patriot League football can be very good if done correctly.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 11th, 2022, 08:25 PM

Not happy with Maines start but certainly not writing teams off after 2 weeks.
Last year Maine was 1-4 and finnished 6-5,
UNH was 3-0 and finnished 3-8.

UNHWildcat18
September 11th, 2022, 08:55 PM

key word. could

MUHAWKS
September 11th, 2022, 09:08 PM

Agreed- although UNHwildcat did say could, the same holds true for UNH and their wins- Monmouth and Albany "could" be in the bottom 4, so cannot read much into that either. Then again Monmouth and Albany could end up being decent teams. Verdict def still out on most teams, some teams just have a head start.

NY Crusader 2010
September 12th, 2022, 04:51 AM
The Patriot League officially has a pulse again. Is it "back"? TBD

NY Crusader 2010
September 12th, 2022, 04:54 AM
Agreed- although UNHwildcat did say could, the same holds true for UNH and their wins- Monmouth and Albany "could" be in the bottom 4, so cannot read much into that either. Then again Monmouth and Albany could end up being decent teams. Verdict def still out on most teams, some teams just have a head start.

Remember Hampton and NCA&T are in the league now, and Towson looks pretty bad so far. I think Monmouth is definitely better than those 3 teams and probably Maine.

caribbeanhen
September 12th, 2022, 06:17 AM
Holy Cross is one of the best, if not the best FCS team in the Northeast....Patriot League football can be very good if done correctly.

not enough Slukas

Sader87
September 12th, 2022, 09:21 AM
As has been mentioned in this thread I believe, so far anyway, this season shows how beneficial a "red-shirt" (due this year to the Covid-eligibilty) season could be for Patriot League teams. Hopefully this won't be a one-off season in that regard moving forward.

Tribe4SF
September 12th, 2022, 10:04 AM
Remember Hampton and NCA&T are in the league now, and Towson looks pretty bad so far. I think Monmouth is definitely better than those 3 teams and probably Maine.

A&T doesn't join for football until next year. They're still in the Big South.

ngineer
September 12th, 2022, 07:54 PM
I think the PL has shown that it could well be on an upward trajectory. Two weeks is still a little early to get too excited; but I like what I've seen in the League.

1. I watched a good chink of the Fordham/Monmouth track meet and was amazed at the lack of defense/or the electric offenses. Both teams have some very skilled weapons. If either learns to play defense, look out!

2. Cross did a nice job with Buffalo and is clearly the "most complete team" in the PL, but not necessarily invincible.

3. Laughyette's offense is as bad as their defense is good. Clearly, the 'pards will be in every game so long as their D can play at a this level and stay healthy. The offense may be worse than Lehigh's was last year at this time. Can make for a stressful season, but as long as the opponent cannot score, you cannot lose.

4. Colgate is a solid team and might be more balanced than Fordham.

5. Bucknell is...Bucknell. Defense keeping them in 'sniffing range' but the offense has been a struggle.

6. Georgetown has shown they have some weapons, but need a better team around them. I expect them to win a couple PL games this year if they remain healthy.

7. Lehigh is improving. The defense made nice strides from the 'nova game; however, the #1 problem at the moment is the OL being down two starters and the overmatched freshmen replacements. I thought it interesting that the Mhawks run game has done very well in both games to date, as it is easier to run block than pass block for the newbies. Perri has not had sufficient time to throw, and as soon as that gets addressed, the offense will be more productive. I expect Lehigh to give Richmond a good game this Saturday. Another measuring stick in the coming tough three OOC games. After that gauntlet, we'll know how 'improved' we really are.

I do agree with an observation(s) made above that now having some 'older' players on the field due to deferred years makes a difference, both in terms of physical and emotional maturity, and how redshirting gives our OOC opponents a constant leg up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2022, 09:26 PM
I think the PL has shown that it could well be on an upward trajectory. Two weeks is still a little early to get too excited; but I like what I've seen in the League.

1. I watched a good chink of the Fordham/Monmouth track meet and was amazed at the lack of defense/or the electric offenses. Both teams have some very skilled weapons. If either learns to play defense, look out!

2. Cross did a nice job with Buffalo and is clearly the "most complete team" in the PL, but not necessarily invincible.

3. Laughyette's offense is as bad as their defense is good. Clearly, the 'pards will be in every game so long as their D can play at a this level and stay healthy. The offense may be worse than Lehigh's was last year at this time. Can make for a stressful season, but as long as the opponent cannot score, you cannot lose.

5. Bucknell is...Bucknell. Defense keeping them in 'sniffing range' but the offense has been a struggle.

6. Georgetown has shown they have some weapons, but need a better team around them. I expect them to win a couple PL games this year if they remain healthy.

7. Lehigh is improving. The defense made nice strides from the 'nova game; however, the #1 problem at the moment is the OL being down two starters and the overmatched freshmen replacements. I thought it interesting that the Mhawks run game has done very well in both games to date, as it is easier to run block than pass block for the newbies. Perri has not had sufficient time to throw, and as soon as that gets addressed, the offense will be more productive. I expect Lehigh to give Richmond a good game this Saturday. Another measuring stick in the coming tough three OOC games. After that gauntlet, we'll know how 'improved' we really are.

I do agree with an observation(s) made above that now having some 'older' players on the field due to deferred years makes a difference, both in terms of physical and emotional maturity, and how redshirting gives our OOC opponents a constant leg up.

Absolutely not! Lafayette has scored 3 touchdowns in 2 games; one that led them to a victory over the defending NEC Champ/preseason NEC favorite Sacred Heart and two over FBS Temple. It took Lehigh six games, SIX GAMES last year to score their first TD!!. Lehigh's offense last year was one of the worst units in 1-AA/FCS history! To compare this year's 'Pard offense to last year's Lehigh offense is honestly absurd.

I honestly think Lehigh fans have become "lost" as to just how far the program has fallen.

NY Crusader 2010
September 12th, 2022, 09:51 PM

Absolutely. The key for PL teams when it comes to finding a way to beat Holy Cross, is to find a way to dig in and stop us on 3rd down and/or force us to throw the ball on 4th and short situations. Fordham the last three games against us has gotten out to double digit leads in first half and then completely fizzled. The last two games at Jack Coffey Field ('19 and '21) we've outscored them something like 77-7 in the second half.

Colgate definitely the more balanced team than Fordham. Rams defense is a major Achilles heel. People forget that Colgate was actually the team to win that game and finish 2nd last year.

DFW HOYA
September 12th, 2022, 10:26 PM

"A couple PL games this year"? Really, who?

FWIW The Hoyas lost a starting DL and LB in Saturday's game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2022, 11:43 PM
"A couple PL games this year"? Really, who?

FWIW The Hoyas lost a starting DL and LB in Saturday's game.

They should have a reasonable shot to beat Lafayette and Bucknell. Not saying they will but they'll have a chance. The offense is capable enough to even give Fordham a run should the Rams put fort one of their Conlin "specials" aka 60 minutes of underachieving football. Georgetown flat-out played Lehigh physically. They simply lost the mental, self-inflicted wound battle.