PDA

View Full Version : Question for Wofford fans

WVAPPmountaineer
October 16th, 2007, 07:58 AM
This is a quote I copied from David Coulson's most recent Sports Network follow-up article ---

No. 9 Wofford was struggling with a 28-17 lead through three quarters against Gardner-Webb before scoring 24 points in the fourth quarter for a 52-17 win. But some Gardner-Webb folks were left with a bitter taste in their mouths when the Terriers tacked on a pair of late scores by passing and using trick plays.

I was wondering about this and wanted some opinions from those who might have seen the game. I will add this - Coach Moore would NEVER do this!!!

woffordgrad94
October 16th, 2007, 08:00 AM
See my post "GW says Wofford ran up the score" to see what I think of this crapitty-crap-crap-crap.

appfan2008
October 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I doubt wofford did that...

GoldandBlack
October 16th, 2007, 08:11 AM
A couple of years ago, Wofford played Gardner-Webb at their place, and had something like a 38-10 lead in the third quarter. G-W made a furious rally, and the final score was something like 52-41.

Take that into consideration, along with the fact that Wofford's third-string offense was in for at least half of the fourth quarter, and I think it explains a little bit about the final score.

Mike Ayers has never been one to run up a score just to get numbers, and that hasn't miraculously changed this year.

gophoenix
October 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM
This is a quote I copied from David Coulson's most recent Sports Network follow-up article ---

No. 9 Wofford was struggling with a 28-17 lead through three quarters against Gardner-Webb before scoring 24 points in the fourth quarter for a 52-17 win. But some Gardner-Webb folks were left with a bitter taste in their mouths when the Terriers tacked on a pair of late scores by passing and using trick plays.

I was wondering about this and wanted some opinions from those who might have seen the game. I will add this - Coach Moore would NEVER do this!!!

G-W should have stopped it. That is like App claiming Wofford ran up the score on them. Or like me complaining that App ran up the score on us when you ran that reverse with 3 minutes to go for a TD.

It's just garbage. It's the other team's responsibility to stop plays.

And if you ask me, Coulson has really been putting a negative spin on other SoCon schools this year. He's barely covered any other SoCon teams. He's barely covered Wofford. And doesn't ever mention Elon, Wofford and The Citadel.

And this quote:

No. 5 Appalachian State had its confidence shaken when Wofford snapped its Division I-long 17-game win streak and the Mountaineers were challenged on the road by No. 24 Elon. But two huge plays by Corey Lynch helped turn the momentum in ASU's favor.

Lynch blocked a punt to set up Appalachian's go-ahead touchdown for a 14-10 halftime lead and then he stole what would have been a game-tying TD pass away from an Elon receiver for an interception in the end zone in the second half. ASU then broke loose for 28 fourth-quarter points to salt the win away.

While all true, it was the only game covered in that article that didn't list the final score. By reading that, you would Assume Elon was blown out, after all the gave up 28 points in the 4th quarter and none of it covers anything Elon did (which in itself is fine).

But I am getting fairly tired of no articles or articles with this blatant bias. Where's the objectivity?

WVAPPmountaineer
October 16th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I was at the Elon game and what you didn't mention was Elon had just scored to cut it back to a 10 point lead - In fact, Elon scored two TDs in the 4th quarter - I was there and I don't know about you, but that game wasn't over until the final APP TD - That's different from scoring 24 unanswered points in a 4th quarter when there is already a 11 point lead going into the quarter - I, for one, never claimed Wofford scored an unnecessary TD late in the game with APP (it was a 4 point game at that point) - And it's too easy to say "it's the other teams responsibility to stop plays" - As a former high school coach, there is a point where it is on the coach of the team with an insurmountable lead to "call off the dogs"

Longrifle
October 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I was at the Elon game and what you didn't mention was Elon had just scored to cut it back to a 10 point lead - In fact, Elon scored two TDs in the 4th quarter - I was there and I don't know about you, but that game wasn't over until the final APP TD - That's different from scoring 24 unanswered points in a 4th quarter when there is already a 11 point lead going into the quarter - I, for one, never claimed Wofford scored an unnecessary TD late in the game with APP (it was a 4 point game at that point) - And it's too easy to say "it's the other teams responsibility to stop plays" - As a former high school coach, there is a point where it is on the coach of the team with an insurmountable lead to "call off the dogs"

I agree with you. I think it was actually Ayers attempt to try and overtake us in the polls. With us not playing, and Wofford stomping GW there was the possibility that Wofford might pass us in the polls. They did gain some ground.

Death Dealer
October 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I was at the Elon game and what you didn't mention was Elon had just scored to cut it back to a 10 point lead - In fact, Elon scored two TDs in the 4th quarter - I was there and I don't know about you, but that game wasn't over until the final APP TD - That's different from scoring 24 unanswered points in a 4th quarter when there is already a 11 point lead going into the quarter - I, for one, never claimed Wofford scored an unnecessary TD late in the game with APP (it was a 4 point game at that point) - And it's too easy to say "it's the other teams responsibility to stop plays" - As a former high school coach, there is a point where it is on the coach of the team with an insurmountable lead to "call off the dogs"He wasn't saying that you ran up the score, he was pointing out Coulson's well known biased style of reporting on the SOCON. He's a well known App Homer, and that's OK, as long as they don't try to pass his reporting off as balanced.

BestOfBreed
October 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM
I agree with you. I think it was actually Ayers attempt to try and overtake us in the polls. With us not playing, and Wofford stomping GW there was the possibility that Wofford might pass us in the polls. They did gain some ground.

LMAO. Let me get this straight. You think Wofford should take a knee with over 4 minutes left inside the opponents 15 yard line on 2nd down with the 3rd string in?

Longrifle
October 16th, 2007, 09:34 AM
LMAO. Let me get this straight. You think Wofford should take a knee with over 4 minutes left inside the opponents 15 yard line on 2nd down with the 3rd string in?

Nope, didn't say that. It just appears in the box score that you left a lot of starters in well into the 4th quarter. When we got up 35-7 at the half last week against GW we pulled most of the 1st string, the 2nd string played the third quarter, and the 3rd and 4th string played most of the
4th. I think we actually played everyone on the bench.

I also wasn't disagreeing with the tactic. Whatever it takes to get a top 4 seed, right?

appstate38
October 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM
This debate always comes around as to when you have scored enough and at what point you "call off the dogs." For one thing if you have your reserves in then why can't you continue to run your offense. Those guys practice just as much as the starters and why shouldn't they get a chance to be successful? Everyone who has played football long enough has been on the wrong side of an A$$ whipping. That is part of it. Now it is a little different to leave your starters in and continue to do it. That to me is a little unclassy. But with the backups in... go ahead and fire away. If you still can't stop the backups then GET BETTER!

gophoenix
October 16th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Dude, I am not saying you guys ran up the score. You were protecting the lead. I was making two complaints in one post.

Running up the score rarely happens.
Coulson has biased columns.

BestOfBreed
October 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Nope, didn't say that. It just appears in the box score that you left a lot of starters in well into the 4th quarter. When we got up 35-7 at the half last week against GW we pulled most of the 1st string, the 2nd string played the third quarter, and the 3rd and 4th string played most of the

I also wasn't disagreeing with the tactic. Whatever it takes to get a top 4 seed, right?

The guy that caught the touchdown pass was a 3rd string tight end that had never caught a pass before in college.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I wasn't saying you thought APP was running up the score against Elon - just pointing out the difference between APP/Elon - APP/Wofford and what happened in the 4th quarter of the Wofford/GW game - And of all people what is Wofford doing passing the ball in the 4th quarter?

mistyeyed
October 16th, 2007, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=WVAPPmountaineer; I will add this - Coach Moore would NEVER do this!!![/QUOTE]

Really?

Sept. 8 LENOIR-RHYNE (National Champions/Hall of Fame Day) KIDD BREWER STADIUM 3:30 p.m. W, 48-7

Oct. 6 GARDNER-WEBB (Homecoming) KIDD BREWER STADIUM 2:30 p.m. W, 45-7

Sept. 16 MARS HILL (Family Day, Open House) KIDD BREWER STADIUM 3:30 P.M. W, 41-0

Oct. 28 FURMAN* (Black Saturday) KIDD BREWER STADIUM 3:30 P.M. (SportSouth) W, 40-7

Sept. 17 COASTAL CAROLINA KIDD BREWER STADIUM 3:30 pm W, 30-3

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Longrifle
October 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Really?

Sept. 8 LENOIR-RHYNE (National Champions/Hall of Fame Day) KIDD BREWER STADIUM 3:30 p.m. W, 48-7

Sept. 16 MARS HILL (Family Day, Open House) KIDD BREWER STADIUM 3:30 P.M. W, 41-0

Oct. 28 FURMAN* (Black Saturday) KIDD BREWER STADIUM 3:30 P.M. (SportSouth) W, 40-7

I think the debate is whether to pull your starters when you establish a lead that you don't think the other team can surmount. In every game there except Furman, the second half was played by very few starters. If Moore had wanted to he could have scored 80 points in a couple of those games. Instead he pulled the starters and ran the clock. Our second and third teams scored points in most of those games.

CamelCityAppFan
October 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM
In every game there except Furman, the second half was played by very few starters.

And don't forget that the Furman game was very close in the first half-- 7-7 at the break. Didn't blow wide open until 2nd half.

CamelCityAppFan
October 16th, 2007, 11:29 AM
The other thing I'll say about claims of "running up the score" is that the weenies who complain about this aren't looking at the details of the game. We tend to think about gaudy offensive scoring late in the game.

What about defense scoring? A safety snatches an interception out of the air, has a lane, and he's supposed to sit down and wait to be tagged? Hell no, he's gonna take it to the house!

OLDLCOACH111
October 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I was at the game and I can see how people can see that wofford ran up the score...

All I can say is Wofford had A considerable lead in the fourth quarter with about 4 min left on the clock, and they were throwing HALFBACK PASSES for touchdownsxnonox

Black Saturday
October 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM

The only problem is they can't triple their average attendance to give the committee some promise of revenue for a seed. Like or not it is about the money.

wocorebel
October 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I was at the game and I can see how people can see that wofford ran up the score...

All I can say is Wofford had A considerable lead in the fourth quarter with about 4 min left on the clock, and they were throwing HALFBACK PASSES for touchdownsxnonox

I was also there at the game and if you were the running back and about to get tackled for a five yard lose and saw someone wide open in the endzone looking at you would you not throw it to him. GW needs to stop moaning as well as App fans. We scored a lot late becaues we got turnovers late and deep in their territory. Wofford is really deep, they are the deepest team right now in the SOCON, people just need to realize that we are not one dimensional anymore and if people can't deal with that they can go play Webber International and feel better about their team.

Black Saturday
October 16th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I was also there at the game and if you were the running back and about to get tackled for a five yard lose and saw someone wide open in the endzone looking at you would you not throw it to him. GW needs to stop moaning as well as App fans. We scored a lot late becaues we got turnovers late and deep in their territory. Wofford is really deep, they are the deepest team right now in the SOCON, people just need to realize that we are not one dimensional anymore and if people can't deal with that they can go play Webber International and feel better about their team.

Hope we meet again this year.:)

dungeonjoe
October 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM

That was not the primary design of that play-- the back was being run down in the backfield. The option was there to throw as the 1st year tide end was wide open.

If the desire was to run up the score, why wait so late to do it and with 3rd stringers no less?

I have not read Mr. Coulson's column yet. I will reserve judgment on that.

wocorebel
October 16th, 2007, 12:24 PM

I hope we do aswell, but you have at tough road to travel still in the SOCON as do we. Hope to see you again at Gibbs in December.

BestOfBreed
October 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM

So do I.

T-Dogg
October 16th, 2007, 01:09 PM
If third string players are scoring against you, and you do not like it, stay out of the SOCON!! What was the margin of victory for Appy vs. GW? check that stat with the Terriers margin.

Yes, it was late in the game. If you turn the ball over, the other team will play like they practice. This is not rec league, the third stringers are trying things out their coaches have told them to do. If you wanted to be second string rather than third string, would you take a knee. NO YOU WOULD NOT.

OLDLCOACH111
October 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM
That was not the primary design of that play-- the back was being run down in the backfield. The option was there to throw as the 1st year tide end was wide open.

If the desire was to run up the score, why wait so late to do it and with 3rd stringers no less?

I have not read Mr. Coulson's column yet. I will reserve judgment on that.

Really??? you head coach admitted running the designed Halfback pass in your local spartanburg newspaper.

Karma will come back for the terriers.. maybe not now, but in the playoffs for sure

BestOfBreed
October 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Really??? you head coach admitted running the designed Halfback pass in your local spartanburg newspaper.

Karma will come back for the terriers.. maybe not now, but in the playoffs for sure

LMAO. Does your coach call your players out in the news media? You might be the one who should be worried about karma with all this trying to make something out of nothing.

Death Dealer
October 16th, 2007, 01:41 PM

GMAFB! Are you guys really this upset? Pitiful.xnonono2x xoopsx

WVAPPmountaineer
October 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Come on Mistyeyed - If you are going to make an argument about running up the score do a little research ---

***38-0 at half – ASU points in 4th quarter = 0

***35-7 at half – ASU points in 4th quarter = 3 (at the 14 min left mark)

***27-0 at half – ASU points in 4th quarter = 7

***THIS WAS OF COURSE THE GAME FOR THE SOCON CHAMPIONSHIP – ASU points in the 4th quarter =14

***30-0 at half – ASU points in 4th quarter = 0

All by the way for all others - I didn't say those were David Coulson words - he was only saying what GW fans had said ---

walliver
October 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM
"I'm sure at their end, the mindset is, 'Well, he's trying to run it up,' " Wofford head football coach Mike Ayers said. "Well, we were not trying to run it up. We remembered (two years ago)."

"It's like this," Ayers said. "You're in a situation where you're running against a nine-man front. If they're not going to play the pass, then you do what you feel like you've got to do. It's a play that's part of what we do. We've run many halfback passes. It's not like they haven't seen the play."

link here (http://www.goupstate.com/article/20071016/NEWS/710160324/1018/SPORTS)

It's not the first time Mike Ayers has been criticized for "running up the score". There were similar critcisms after the 2002 Elon game (a late touchdown which may or may not have been scored in hopes of impressing "the committee").

Traditionally, Ayers has only let third string quarterbacks hand the ball off to the fullback up the middle and rarely run the triple option. This year, he is letting the third-stringer run the Wofford offense (where reverses anf half-back passes are frequently used in order to loosen up the defense.

terrierbob
October 16th, 2007, 01:53 PM
link here (http://www.goupstate.com/article/20071016/NEWS/710160324/1018/SPORTS)

It's not the first time Mike Ayers has been criticized for "running up the score". There were similar critcisms after the 2002 Elon game (a late touchdown which may or may not have been scored in hopes of impressing "the committee").

Traditionally, Ayers has only let third string quarterbacks hand the ball off to the fullback up the middle and rarely run the triple option. This year, he is letting the third-stringer run the Wofford offense (where reverses anf half-back passes are frequently used in order to loosen up the defense.

So what do you make of all this, Walliver? xcoffeex

OL FU
October 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Who Cares? If we can run it up against PC then you can run it up against GWxnodx

In fact there is nothing I would like more than another chance to run the score up:(

walliver
October 16th, 2007, 02:03 PM
So what do you make of all this, Walliver? xcoffeex

I don't think Ayers has any incentive to run up the score. Personally I wouldn't have called a halfback pass, but emotions were running high at the time after an unusual unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (I still don't know what happened - it looked like a faecmask against GW, but may have been a legal collar tackle, that somehow resulted in a penalty against Wofford, leaving us a first and goal from the 25) and there may have been a reason to make a statement.

I wasn't at the 2002 game, but I think it is reasonable for a "bubble team" to try and make a statement, and unfortunately, the only game report most people see is the final score.

BestOfBreed
October 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I don't think Ayers has any incentive to run up the score. Personally I wouldn't have called a halfback pass, but emotions were running high at the time after an unusual unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (I still don't know what happened - it looked like a faecmask against GW, but may have been a legal collar tackle, that somehow resulted in a penalty against Wofford, leaving us a first and goal from the 25) and there may have been a reason to make a statement.

I wasn't at the 2002 game, but I think it is reasonable for a "bubble team" to try and make a statement, and unfortunately, the only game report most people see is the final score.

I was on the hill so I had a great view. The G-W player tackled the Wofford ball carrier by the facemask. Not sure why the refs changed the call. Must have been SoCon refs :)

walliver
October 16th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I was on the hill so I had a great view. The G-W player tackled the Wofford ball carrier by the facemask. Not sure why the refs changed the call. Must have been SoCon refs :)

That's a good enough reason for a halfback pass to me (I probably would have gone for two also). Maybe it the penalty was a helmet blow to the hand?

At least SoCon refs are consistent. I remember going to games with my parents in the late 60's, early 70's and people were complaining about "Southern Confernce Referees" back then. The SoCon used to provide officials for all the NAIA schools in the Carolinas, but we always seemed to get the worst refs when playing the SoCon schools (especially against the purple one):)

mistyeyed
October 16th, 2007, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=WVAPPmountaineer;694824]Come on Mistyeyed - If you are going to make an argument about running up the score do a little research ---

Got it. It is only running up the score if you do it in the fourth quarter. geesh

Can't help but wonder why you are fighting GW's battles. But have it, you can scream all you want about this. Every team scores when they can. App, Woco, The Cit, and bet your sweet uh hmm's that GW woulda if they coulda.

Ayers is a class act. There are lots of good teams in the Socon.

woffordgrad94
October 16th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I will say one last thing on this topic and then I will close my mouth about it forever. GW can just call the waaaaaaambulance, and they can also have some cheese with their whine. Just SHUT UP, GW. You simply weren't good enough to hang with us for 4 quarters, so get over it. GW is a SoCon wannabe. I hope we never play GW again, and since I'm sure that feeling is probably very mutual on the GW side about that, I'd be surprised if I saw them on Wofford's schedule again anytime soon.

proasu89
October 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
For the life of me I just don't get coaches and players crying that "somebody ran up the score". It's not Wofford's fault that GW couldn't stop them. This is not rec league, don't keep score, everybody wins football. Step up or step down. NO FREAKIN WHINING.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 17th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Again - personally, I'm not claiming that and I don't really care - My original question was to Wofford fans who were at the game - We all know the losing team has a different take on what happened - No one is really bellyaching but discussing the different thoughts of scoring 24 unanswered points in the 4th quarter going into the 4th already with an 11 point lead AS COMPARED TO the suggestion that ASU did the same - on which I posted the actual numbers ---

T-Dogg
October 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM
WVAPPmountaineer, let it go. This has been an issue with a sports writer more than anything. GW will not be back to Sparkle City for a long time, and it will be even longer before they would ever be considered a SOCON condidate.

Let's move on, I care more about our fellow SOCON teams and how they fare this season than anything a two bit sports writer spouts about a loosing teams hurt feelings. Heck, more football in 3 days time........

dungeonjoe
October 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Again - personally, I'm not claiming that and I don't really care - My original question was to Wofford fans who were at the game - We all know the losing team has a different take on what happened - No one is really bellyaching but discussing the different thoughts of scoring 24 unanswered points in the 4th quarter going into the 4th already with an 11 point lead AS COMPARED TO the suggestion that ASU did the same - on which I posted the actual numbers ---

Respectfully, I think I have already answered that, as I was at the game.
Below is the link to the statistics of the game. Please notice where Wofford's drives started from as well as those who scored on the last two touchdowns. I believe they are mainly 2nd and 3rd stringers scoring. Since Wofford's motives are in question here (hence this thread), does it really matter what ASU did or did not do?

Here is the link:
http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/stats/football/2007/wof1013.htm#GAME.DRV

Eyes of Old Main
October 17th, 2007, 09:14 AM
So everyone raise your hand if your coach would have your team kneel on the ball three times and punt it back to the opponent everytime they get the ball in that situation.

WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING
WAITING

I didn't think so.

dungeonjoe
October 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Sorry, but karma is not a United Methodist doctrine for a United Methodist institution like Wofford. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You might try instead-what goes around comes around.

WVAPPmountaineer
October 17th, 2007, 09:43 AM
OK - here's a question that has been bantered around - I have heard those say it is up to the defense to stop the offense no matter what the score is and that the offense should continue to try to score - Opinions on this??? - As a former coach I have stated before, there is a point where the winning coach calls off the dogs - Opinions on this??? - I guess that is what I should have posed initially as I really could care less what GW thinks --- And by the way I did see Coach Moore have the APPs take a knee - 3 years ago at GSU they really laid it on ASU and the following year (2 seasons ago) in Boone ASU was in the lead 24-7 I believe, late in the game and had a first down inside the GSU 5 and the Mountaineers took a knee at least twice until the clock ran out ---

lizrdgizrd
October 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM
OK - here's a question that has been bantered around - I have heard those say it is up to the defense to stop the offense no matter what the score is and that the offense should continue to try to score - Opinions on this??? - As a former coach I have stated before, there is a point where the winning coach calls off the dogs - Opinions on this??? - I guess that is what I should have posed initially as I really could care less what GW thinks --- And by the way I did see Coach Moore have the APPs take a knee - 3 years ago at GSU they really laid it on ASU and the following year (2 seasons ago) in Boone ASU was in the lead 24-7 I believe, late in the game and had a first down inside the GSU 5 and the Mountaineers took a knee at least twice until the clock ran out ---
Taking a knee in the last minute or so is fine when there's no chance that it'll lead to turning over the ball on downs. When you're up a lot in the 4th, you go to the ground game with your 2nd and 3rd string guys and just run out the clock. If you score, you score, but the focus is to run out the clock. xnodx

BestOfBreed
October 17th, 2007, 10:07 AM

You do know that Wofford couldn't run the clock out in either of their last possessions by taking a knee? It's pretty hard to run 4 minutes off the clock by taking a knee. Therefore, the comparison you made with Coach Moore taking a knee to run the clock out above logically makes no sense since the clock would not have run out!!

WVAPPmountaineer
October 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Wasn't making a comparison - just answering an earlier question from another post - man you Wofford guys are really sensitive --- Please, if you'd like, answer my question posed --- OK - here's a question that has been bantered around - I have heard those say it is up to the defense to stop the offense no matter what the score is and that the offense should continue to try to score - Opinions on this??? - As a former coach I have stated before, there is a point where the winning coach calls off the dogs - Opinions on this??? --- Good point LIZRDGIRZD

catdaddy2402
October 17th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I have heard those say it is up to the defense to stop the offense no matter what the score is and that the offense should continue to try to score - Opinions on this???
As an offensive coach it's not my job to stop my own offense. If it's late in a close game and I have the ball, I'll do my best to maximize the amount of time we have the ball. If we have a big lead and we are playing players deep on the depth chart I owe it to those kids who have worked just as hard as the starters to do everything I can to make them better players. A large portion of these kids will be starters one day, maybe even later in the year when injuries hit. I am shortchanging my team and my kids if I don't put them in situations where they are learning our offensive system.

As a former coach I have stated before, there is a point where the winning coach calls off the dogs - Opinions on this???
You can call off the dogs and still run your offense. Take as long as possible to snap the ball. Try as hard as possible to keep the ball in the field of play.
The real question is it more embarassing to your opponent when you "run up the score" by running your offense with 2nd and 3rd string players....or when you beat down your opponent without even really trying the last 10:00 of the game by running the ball up the gut 3 straight and punting?

WVAPPmountaineer
October 17th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Good points Catdaddy - however I am wondering if you have been on the wrong side (losing side) that situation?

catdaddy2402
October 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Good points Catdaddy - however I am wondering if you have been on the wrong side (losing side) that situation?
Many, many times, as a coach and especially as a player.

I always felt better after getting my butt kicked by a team that tried hard for the entire game than when we got whipped by one that quit trying 3/4 of the way thru. To me when a team quit trying it was like they were saying "Bless your little pea picking heart....you can't stop us so we'll stop ourselves."

WVAPPmountaineer
October 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Again good points - however I wasn't insinuating a team should "quit" - by "call off the dogs" I mean run your basic dive plays, etc. - Not halfback option passes and reverses - That's my point ---

dungeonjoe
October 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Again good points - however I wasn't insinuating a team should "quit" - by "call off the dogs" I mean run your basic dive plays, etc. - Not halfback option passes and reverses - That's my point ---
..even if it is the 3rd string?

WVAPPmountaineer
October 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM

My opinion is it doesn't matter what level player is in the game at that point

BigApp
October 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Really?

L-R halftime score =40-0
G-W halftime score=35-7
Mars Hill halftime score=27-0
Furman halftime score=14-7, 3rd qtr=26-7. 4th qtr scores were on drives that totaled 6 plays and 37 yards--all running plays.
Coastal Carolina halftime=30-0. Matter of fact, the dogs were called off with about 5 minutes left in THE FIRST HALF.

You're welcome to keep trying, though. xthumbsupx

dungeonjoe
October 18th, 2007, 12:34 PM
My opinion is it doesn't matter what level player is in the game at that point

my opinion is that it does because the 3rd string players need reps too and secondly, wouldn't GW be able to handle 3rd string if they cold not handle 1st?

BigApp
October 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=WVAPPmountaineer;694824]Come on Mistyeyed - If you are going to make an argument about running up the score do a little research ---

Got it. It is only running up the score if you do it in the fourth quarter. geesh

Can't help but wonder why you are fighting GW's battles. But have it, you can scream all you want about this. Every team scores when they can. App, Woco, The Cit, and bet your sweet uh hmm's that GW woulda if they coulda.

Ayers is a class act. There are lots of good teams in the Socon.

**BigApp tucks statement snugly into memory for future reference**

xreadx

BigApp
October 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM

joe, the QB sneak to make it 35-17 was by your starting QB Collier. The halfback pass to make it 45-17 was thrown by your secondstring (and #2 rusher) halfback Jeremy Marshall.

Not third stringers.

Look, I'm not defending GW. The misinformation put out on this thread needed to be clarified.

wocorebel
October 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Marshall is probably our 4th or 5th string running back behind Kevious, Dane, Hobbs, and AY. Marshall is just ridiculously fast and gets a lot of yards per carry. You have to realize that we have about 12 RB so that secondstring to Marshall can be misconstrued. Josh came back in to get some work in to make sure his shoulder was still ok being that he went out in the game because of his shoulder. I know for a fact about that because he is a great friend of mine, that is how I get my tickets being that I am an alumnus now. Now, the misinformation has been clarified, the halfback pass is something used in our everyday offense especially with Marshall. GW has seen it and they could have played it instead of putting ten people in the box. Especially after the blatant facemask they committed prior to that play that moved us back because they called a made up personal foul the play before.

GoldandBlack
October 18th, 2007, 01:10 PM
By now, this question is a moot point- to those who think Wofford ran up the score, nothing will change their minds, and to those who follow Wofford football, we know better. xnodx :)

terrierbob
October 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Everyone's so touchy today.

GoldandBlack
October 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Everyone's so touchy today.

Must be mid-season-xrolleyesx

Eyes of Old Main
October 18th, 2007, 10:53 PM
By now, this question is a moot point- to those who think Wofford ran up the score, nothing will change their minds, and to those who follow Wofford football, we know better. xnodx :)

Absolutely... xthumbsupx

proasu89
October 19th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Ran it up, didn't run it up, I all know is that it's better to give a a$$ whooping than to receive one and congrats to Wofford on the winxthumbsupx

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM

hmmm.... now how many points did ASU score today?

Mountaineer
November 10th, 2007, 08:32 PM
[/B]

hmmm.... now how many points did ASU score today?

Quite a bit. However, there was no asshattery - trick plays, fake punts or field goals, halfback passes, etc. The second half was more of Western turning the ball over (often in their own end) than anything.

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Quite a bit. However, there was no asshattery - trick plays, fake punts or field goals, halfback passes, etc. The second half was more of Western turning the ball over (often in their own end) than anything.

the winners always have it right, be it Wofford then or ASU now.

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Briggs and WCU did not say ASU ran up to score.

The reason ASU kept their starters in is because half of the backups now are injured or are fighting through an injury right now.

If the opposing coach says it...then it's not running up the score. haha. It was asked to Briggs, Bailey & Malone (WCU players), and Moore at the press conference.

ERASU2113
November 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Besides ASU did no trick plays whatsoever, Western could not stop them at all.

Briggs and Bailey both said they believed Moore kept them in because of what they did to Wofford the week before, making it a game.

Moore said at halftime he even warned the players of a potential comebac k beacuse of last week

Eyes of Old Main
November 11th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Briggs did not say ASU ran up to score.

But would Briggs actually have enough of a clue as to what was going on to know if the score had been run up?

ERASU2113
November 11th, 2007, 07:32 AM
But would Briggs actually have enough of a clue as to what was going on to know if the score had been run up?

Haha, probably so. Mostl ikely his last game for him in Cullowhee