View Full Version : ABC to broadcast FCS Championship Game in 2023

The Cats
September 7th, 2022, 08:56 PM
The NCAA Division I FCS Championship will move to Sunday in 2023, airing live on ABC on January 8 at 2 p.m. ET, from Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/files/2022/09/ESPN-Cobrand-Graphics-3-780x470.png

“We continuously work with the NCAA on ways to evolve our championship coverage,” said Dan Margulis, Senior Director of Programming and Acquisitions. “Moving the FCS Championship to Sunday opens up the possibility of capitalizing on the Sunday afternoon window on ABC, which we are regularly incorporating into our college sports programming.”

“The addition of our championship game to ABC’s Sunday programming lineup is very exciting news for all of us who are passionate about Division I FCS football,” said Jermaine Truax, chair of the Division I Football Championship Committee and Bucknell University Director of Athletics and Recreation. “The committee greatly appreciates ESPN’s longtime commitment to showcasing the FCS Championship and our outstanding student-athletes and coaches. The FCS Championship is annually one of the most exciting postseason tournaments in college sports and having our national championship game on ABC will result in even more exposure for this great event.”

FCS Championship tickets will go on sale to the public Friday, Sept. 16, at 11 a.m. ET at NCAA.com/FCS.

MUMD
September 7th, 2022, 09:47 PM
Awesome! Maybe we can have a SoCon team back in the title game by then.

Mocs123
September 8th, 2022, 05:36 AM
Awesome! Maybe we can have a SoCon team back in the title game by then.

I agree, though I am probably hoping for a different SoCon team to be in the title game than you are!

Welcome to the board BTW!

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2022, 06:31 AM
I agree, though I am probably hoping for a different SoCon team to be in the title game than you are!

Welcome to the board BTW!Never one to shrink from his avid athletics avarice, FUBeAR is forever expecting 2 specific SoCon Teams to square off for a rematch in Frisco each season.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2022, 07:43 AM
This sucks so hard.

Professor Chaos
September 8th, 2022, 07:51 AM
I like the kickoff moving to 1PM CT (way better than the crappy 11AM CT it has been) but the move to Sunday is odd. It'll be going up against an assload of week 18 NFL games... guessing it'll get nowhere near the 2.5M viewers the JMU/NDSU natty got on ABC in January 2020. Still, getting the natty back on network TV is a win for the FCS and its exposure.

crusader11
September 8th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Going up against the final week of the NFL season doesn’t strike me as the smartest move.

clenz
September 8th, 2022, 09:33 AM
They will have almost zero viewership from the north

Packers/Lions and Bears/Vikings kick off at noon that day.

Good planning vs the Dakota fan bases.

Mocs123
September 8th, 2022, 09:36 AM
This sucks so hard.

I'm sorry JSUSoutherner, perhaps you are confused. The 2022 LendingTree Bowl is December 17th. Perhaps in a few years when the Gamecocks become eligible, they can face off against Kent State in that game.

clenz
September 8th, 2022, 09:47 AM
I'm sorry JSUSoutherner, perhaps you are confused. The 2022 LendingTree Bowl is December 17th. Perhaps in a few years when the Gamecocks become eligible, they can face off against Kent State in that game.
Sure - that game will also dwarf the FCS title game in viewership and revenue.

CHIP72
September 8th, 2022, 10:03 AM
They will have almost zero viewership from the north

Packers/Lions and Bears/Vikings kick off at noon that day.

Good planning vs the Dakota fan bases.
The start times for one or both of those games could be changed, but I agree 100% with what you are generally saying.

Good luck getting fans from markets outside of the two teams involved to actually watch the DI-AA/FCS championship game when NFL games are being played at the same time.

One other thought - it is ironic that the DI-AA/FCS championship game will be televised on over-the-air network TV and the DI-A/FBS championship game will not.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2022, 02:28 PM
I mean Ive been to Frisco a couple times now and was going to try to go again this year. But moving to a Sunday afternoon screws things up for travel for me.

But I wouldn't expect a UTC fan to know much about going to Frisco.

CockyGeek
September 8th, 2022, 02:35 PM

Don't be too upset. Instead of just beating you every other year, you'll get a check too.

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2022, 02:42 PM
I mean Ive been to Frisco a couple times now and was going to try to go again this year. But moving to a Sunday afternoon screws things up for travel for me.

But I wouldn't expect a UTC fan to know much about going to Frisco.LOL - The single time CocksFans imagined they had rooting interest reason to be there, unfortunately their Team failed to show up. https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/40085772 (https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400857728)

After almost 30 years of toiling in I-AA/FCS without a single championship at this level, it’s hard to imagine how much y’all must be anticipating moving on.

POD Knows
September 8th, 2022, 02:44 PM
LOL - The single time CocksFans had rooting interest reason to be there, unfortunately their Team failed to show up. https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/40085772 (https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400857728)

After almost 30 years of toiling in I-AA/FCS without a single championship at this level, it’s hard to imagine how much y’all must be anticipating moving on.Can't believe we let those asshats score 10 points.

Mocs123
September 8th, 2022, 03:22 PM
But I wouldn't expect a UTC fan to know much about going to Frisco.

touche

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 8th, 2022, 08:51 PM
Can't believe we let those asshats score 10 points.

That was a great ass whipping!!!

JSU was on the sidelines all shivering....knew they were beat before the game even started.

POD Knows
September 8th, 2022, 09:23 PM
That was a great ass whipping!!!

JSU was on the sidelines all shivering....knew they were beat before the game even started.
They were cocky in the tunnel but quickly surrendered.

Ridge1982
September 8th, 2022, 09:35 PM
Anyone who has a problem with this just tune in to the UT Martin/Missouri State game. Much more entertaining than the other league.

POD Knows
September 8th, 2022, 09:37 PM
Anyone who has a problem with this just tune in to the UT Martin/Missouri State game. Much more entertaining than the other league.
Yea. It is a pretty good game. The QB from TM can sling it.

Ridge1982
September 8th, 2022, 09:52 PM
Yea. It is a pretty good game. The QB from TM can sling it.
I'm really looking forward to see how Lindenwood fares against them.

downbythebeach
September 11th, 2022, 08:43 PM
I am thinking about going to the game this year. What other FCS football events do they usually have the same weekend?

Bisonoline
September 11th, 2022, 09:41 PM
I am thinking about going to the game this year. What other FCS football events do they usually have the same weekend?

like what?

CHIP72
September 12th, 2022, 09:17 AM

It isn't FCS football, but I'd definitely look into what other sports events are taking place in the Metroplex around January 8th.

Some of those events include (all times local/Central):

01/05 (Thu): NBA - Celtics at Mavericks, 6:30 PM
01/05 (Thu): CBB - Utah Valley at Texas-Arlington, 7:00 PM
01/07 (Sat): CBB - Seattle at Texas-Arlington, 2:00 PM
01/07 (Sat): NBA - Pelicans at Mavericks, 7:00 PM

Neither SMU nor TCU have released their 2022-23 conference schedules yet, but they may at home during or shortly before or after the weekend of January 7-8.

Incidentally the Cowboys (NFL) are on the road the weekend of 1/7 & 1/8, and the Stars (NHL) do have one home game, but it overlaps time-wise with the FCS championship game.

AmsterBison
September 13th, 2022, 12:24 PM
The 1pm start is so much better for people attending the game.

There is always going to be competition for casual TV viewers regardless of the day - and it's only going to get fiercer with the FBS playoff expansion.

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2022, 12:29 PM
The 1pm start is so much better for people attending the game.

There is always going to be competition for casual TV viewers regardless of the day - and it's only going to get fiercer with the FBS playoff expansion.

Unless you were planning on being able to fly back on Saturday after the game or on Sunday.

This move will cost me an extra night in the hotel and an extra day with the rental car. Will also cost me a day of PTO.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2022, 12:55 PM
Unless you were planning on being able to fly back on Saturday after the game or on Sunday.

This move will cost me an extra night in the hotel and an extra day with the rental car. Will also cost me a day of PTO.

I was actually thinking it would be cheaper for us, if we come back to Frisco this year. Last January, we came down Thursday so we'd have all of Friday to roam around, then left Sunday. Coming down Friday and leaving Monday costs us the same number of days of PTO, but typically hotels are a bit cheaper on a Sunday than on a Thursday. Same with airfare. Thursday-Sunday is currently about $111/person more than Friday-Monday for us, which is basically a free night's stay.

MSUBobcat
September 13th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Forgot tix went on sale today. Anyone know what the NCAA Experience is? Says you get a pregame meal, access to the club xawesomex and a "premium bar". I assume the bar is not free?? Or is it? If it's just a free meal and a bar I have to pay for, not sure why they would be $100 more per ticket.

AmsterBison
September 14th, 2022, 09:05 AM

Except I think that having your team get to the championship game should be considered a once-a-generation experience even if you are a Bison fan.

And, if there is any day of the work week I'd be willing to sacrifice, it's Monday.

Bisonoline
September 14th, 2022, 09:13 AM

So this is a problem????????

Professor Chaos
September 14th, 2022, 09:23 AM
Forgot tix went on sale today. Anyone know what the NCAA Experience is? Says you get a pregame meal, access to the club xawesomex and a "premium bar". I assume the bar is not free?? Or is it? If it's just a free meal and a bar I have to pay for, not sure why they would be $100 more per ticket.
I've never done it but from what I understand they had hot breakfast meals (probably be more lunch food now with the later kickoff) in the VIP area and a cash bar with mixed drinks along with private bathrooms. Before they started serving beers in the stadium (which I think started in January 2017) it was a bigger draw for Bison fans at least. Those years the weather was kind of crappy (like the snow/rain over the last couple it was probably kind of nice to have a spot pregame to hang out without getting cold and wet.

Wouldn't it still be the same amount of nights/rental car/PTO??? Instead of Thursday/Friday-Sunday it's now Friday/Saturday-Monday.

MSUBobcat
September 14th, 2022, 10:47 AM
I've never done it but from what I understand they had hot breakfast meals (probably be more lunch food now with the later kickoff) in the VIP area and a cash bar with mixed drinks along with private bathrooms. Before they started serving beers in the stadium (which I think started in January 2017) it was a bigger draw for Bison fans at least. Those years the weather was kind of crappy (like the snow/rain over the last couple it was probably kind of nice to have a spot pregame to hang out without getting cold and wet.

Wouldn't it still be the same amount of nights/rental car/PTO??? Instead of Thursday/Friday-Sunday it's now Friday/Saturday-Monday.

Thank you, PC. That's kinda what I thought. $100 extra for a meal doesn't sound appealing. If it had previously been the only way to get drinks during the game, I could see a little more of a benefit, but even in the weather last year, I think I would rather pregame at a tailgate than inside a club. Us northern staters aren't going to be as deterred from a good tailgate by a little rain/snow!

I also think the # of days is the same, and as I mentioned, Thursday night hotel is typically more than Sunday night, and flights are also usually cheaper. From a cost standpoint, I think it's a slight win for fans. For casual fan viewership, probably a loss.

KPSUL
September 14th, 2022, 11:26 AM
NCAA has opened early ticket sales for this season's championship game in Frisco (or the NDSU final home game of the season). Sideline tickets between the thirty yard lines are up to $250.

MSUBobcat
September 14th, 2022, 12:02 PM
NCAA has opened early ticket sales for this season's championship game in Frisco (or the NDSU final home game of the season). Sideline tickets between the thirty yard lines are up to $250.

Those are the VIP/NCAA experience tickets that I was asking about and Professor Chaos graciously answered. Unfortunately, you cannot buy the tickets without the additional $100 VIP package (from what I've found anyway).

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 15th, 2022, 06:58 PM
Having the CG compete against Week 18 of the NFL?Bold move.

JSUSoutherner
September 16th, 2022, 01:18 PM

Not when you fly in Friday regardless.

My work schedule makes it so I don't work every Friday to begin with. So it's not a PTO day for me.