39T
Bryant Bulldogs

Most Significant Win:
Incarnate Word Cardinals

Most Significant Loss:
Kennesaw State Owls

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2022, 11:34 AM
WOW!...S. ILLINOIS/KENNESAW...DUNK TANKED......xeekx......BRAWK!

POD Knows
September 6th, 2022, 11:47 AM
WOW!...S. ILLINOIS/KENNESAW...DUNK TANKED......xeekx......BRAWK!I dropped SIU out of my poll. I had KSU at 19

MTfan4life
September 6th, 2022, 11:53 AM
WOW!...S. ILLINOIS/KENNESAW...DUNK TANKED......xeekx......BRAWK!

Kennesaw should be removed completely until further proof otherwise. Samford won 4 games last year and still managed to render the Owls' offense virtually ineffective. Unless they beat Cincinnati or Jacksonville State, I see no reason to include Kennesaw at least until early October. SIU I gave a little more leeway to, considering Incarnate Word was a second round playoff team last year.

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2022, 12:09 PM
]Kennesaw should be removed completely[/B] until further proof otherwise. Samford won 4 games last year and still managed to render the Owls' offense virtually ineffective. Unless they beat Cincinnati or Jacksonville State, I see no reason to include Kennesaw at least until early October. SIU I gave a little more leeway to, considering Incarnate Word was a second round playoff team last year.

17 SPOTS FO' UH 10 PT LOSS....IS HARSH....&.....SAMFORD MAY BE REAL..........IT'S NOT PROVEN YET...............S. ILLINOIS's.......NEST TEA PLUNGE........WAS BY UH PRETTY GOOD WORD TEAM.....AN' SOME SAY WEATHER ISSUES.....FUNKED UP.....SALUKIS.... DEBUT.........AWK!

OhioHen
September 6th, 2022, 12:15 PM
I dropped SIU out of my poll. I had KSU at 19
Both gone for me.

JSUSoutherner
September 6th, 2022, 12:16 PM
Kennesaw should be removed completely until further proof otherwise. Samford won 4 games last year and still managed to render the Owls' offense virtually ineffective. Unless they beat Cincinnati or Jacksonville State, I see no reason to include Kennesaw at least until early October. SIU I gave a little more leeway to, considering Incarnate Word was a second round playoff team last year.
If we go 1-8 to end the year, I hope with every fiber of my being that our one win is over Kennesaw State.

GoBlueHens83
September 6th, 2022, 12:18 PM
I kept SIU in my poll and dropped KSU. I had both SIU & UIW ranked pretty highly, so I wasn't as harsh on SIU's loss as I was on KSU.

JSUSoutherner
September 6th, 2022, 12:20 PM
17 SPOTS FO' UH 10 PT LOSS....IS HARSH....&.....SAMFORD MAY BE REAL..........IT'S NOT PROVEN YET...............S. ILLINOIS's.......NEST TEA PLUNGE........WAS BY UH PRETTY GOOD WORD TEAM.....AN' SOME SAY WEATHER ISSUES.....FUNKED UP.....SALUKIS.... DEBUT.........AWK!
I actually kinda agree with this.

Especially considering we absolutely dump trucked SFA and they're holding a top 20 spot. The board has been looking for a reason to dump Kennesaw, but I see that as having a lot more to do with Samford just looks good right now. If Samford can get the run game going they'll be a tough team to beat in the SoCon.

I have a hard time believing SFA is better than Samford, Kennesaw, or SIU right now. Or even UNI for that matter.

POD Knows
September 6th, 2022, 12:20 PM
Both gone for me.I think KSU is ripe to fall, they will lose their game this weekend and will probably be 1-4 starting the season and they have some tough games on the backend.

Professor Chaos
September 6th, 2022, 12:41 PM
This week's poll article: http://thefcswedge.com/ags-poll/ags-poll-week-1-top-25-result/

Glad to see Kennesaw St placed below Samford (unlike in the STATS and Coaches polls). I think the harsh drop is justified for both KSU and SIU - they'll have changes to get themselves back up again. I was a little surprised to see UNI lose 134 points from the preseason poll, despite 8 additional voters this week, for losing to very good FBS team in Air Force (they were 10-3 last year).

ursus arctos horribilis
September 6th, 2022, 01:34 PM

That is based on people's guesses in the preseason though. Luckily most are not too stuck to what they thought prior to seeing something so it may be harsh but it is harsh on one's own opinion. Doesn't mean it won't snap back either if they do something deserving from what I have seen over the years. The first 4 weeks are pretty dynamic. Rightfully so.

OhioHen
September 6th, 2022, 01:39 PM
Keep in mind that many voters create a preseason poll based on where the expect the teams to finish at the end of the year. Then we see what happens on the field and have an entirely different take on the CURRENT status of the teams' strengths.

Tribe4SF
September 6th, 2022, 01:41 PM
I had Kennesaw ranked 18th preseason and did not have SIU ranked at all. Kennesaw was gone from my poll this week.

Professor Chaos
September 6th, 2022, 01:46 PM
My shot at is this week:

1: North Dakota State Bison
2: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
3: Montana Grizzlies
4: Montana State Bobcats
5: Villanova Wildcats
6: Missouri State Bears
7: Delaware Fightin Blue Hens
8: Sac State Hornets
9: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
10: Chattanooga Mocs
11: Incarnate Word Cardinals
12: William & Mary Tribe
13: Northern Iowa Panthers
14: Samford Bulldogs
15: Eastern Washington Eagles
16: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
17: Jackson State Tigers
18: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
19: Kennesaw State Owls
20: South Dakota Coyotes
21: Mercer Bears
22: Holy Cross Crusaders
23: Weber State Wildcats
24: Richmond Spiders
25: Rhode Island Rams

kdinva
September 6th, 2022, 02:10 PM
2: Montana Grizzlies
3: Montana State Bobcats
4: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
5: Villanova Wildcats
6: Missouri State Bears
7: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
8: Sac State Hornets
9: Eastern Washington Eagles
10: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
12: Chattanooga Mocs
13: Jackson State Tigers
14: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
15: Mercer Bears
16: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
17: Weber State Wildcats
18: Rhode Island Rams
19: Samford Bulldogs
20: Kennesaw State Owls
21: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
22: William & Mary Tribe
23: Furman Paladins
24: Holy Cross Crusaders
25: Northern Iowa Panthers

The Most Significant Win: Samford Bulldogs
The Most Significant Loss: Southern Illinois Salukis

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 02:13 PM
Ivies punished for not playing?

If you guys ever receive a letter that says absence makes the heart grow fonder....don’t believe it

crusader11
September 6th, 2022, 02:16 PM

If you guys ever receive a letter that says absence makes the heart grow fonder....don’t believe it

Good point. One of the reasons that early season polls are flawed...Harvard is going to be a top 15 team this year, but their ranking is not going to reflect that solely because they don't start their season until week 3.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2022, 02:18 PM
2: Montana State Bobcats
3: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
4: Villanova Wildcats
5: Missouri State Bears
6: Montana Grizzlies
8: Eastern Washington Eagles
9: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
10: Holy Cross Crusaders
12: Harvard Crimson
13: Chattanooga Mocs
14: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
15: Sac State Hornets
16: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
17: Princeton Tigers
18: William & Mary Tribe
19: Weber State Wildcats
20: New Hampshire Wildcats
21: Mercer Bears
22: Northern Iowa Panthers
23: Rhode Island Rams
24: Jackson State Tigers
25: Samford Bulldogs

Go Lehigh TU owl

The Most Significant Win: Incarnate Word Cardinals
The Most Significant Loss: Kennesaw State Owls
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Patriot League

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 02:19 PM
Good point. One of the reasons that early season polls are flawed...Harvard is going to be a top 15 team this year, but their ranking is not going to reflect that solely because they don't start their season until week 3.

Who are they playing outside the Ivy League?

crusader11
September 6th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Who are they playing outside the Ivy League?

A typical Tim Murphy cupcake OOC -- HC, Merrimack, Howard

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 02:27 PM
A typical Tim Murphy cupcake OOC -- HC, Merrimack, Howard

And they lectured Holy Cross last year .... at least they have that game but the other 2 are horrendous

crusader11
September 6th, 2022, 02:34 PM
And they lectured Holy Cross last year .... at least they have that game but the other 2 are horrendous

Yes, that was a real butt whipping.

I think Harvard is the toughest game on our schedule this year. Even tougher than Buffalo.

HC rarely wins in Cambridge (think the last win was in 2000).

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2022, 02:44 PM
KEEP SQWAKIN'....'BOUT DUH POLL/CHILLI WHIFF BEANS/IVY SKEDS..........&........POLITICS......WE'RE 13,900.........AWAY.........AWK!

Professor Chaos
September 6th, 2022, 02:52 PM

The Ivies issue is self-inflicted so I won't be shedding any tears for them. Harvard will get a chance to prove they belong in the top 25 when they play Holy Cross in a couple weeks. One thing about the AGS Poll is it's a lot easier for teams to break into it and up it then the STATS and Coaches polls (see Samford for an example this week). So the Ivies will get their chance to prove they belong despite being out of sight and out of mind right now.

paward
September 6th, 2022, 03:01 PM

Me all the way. Show me what you got!

The Yo Show
September 6th, 2022, 03:29 PM
I actually kinda agree with this.

Especially considering we absolutely dump trucked SFA and they're holding a top 20 spot. The board has been looking for a reason to dump Kennesaw, but I see that as having a lot more to do with Samford just looks good right now. If Samford can get the run game going they'll be a tough team to beat in the SoCon.

I have a hard time believing SFA is better than Samford, Kennesaw, or SIU right now. Or even UNI for that matter.

I dropped SFA, SIU and Kennesaw out of my poll completely, but that was subjective

POD Knows
September 6th, 2022, 05:02 PM
Here is the answer key

4: Montana Grizzlies
5: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
6: Villanova Wildcats
7: Incarnate Word Cardinals
8: Missouri State Bears
9: Sac State Hornets
10: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
11: Chattanooga Mocs
12: Eastern Washington Eagles
13: Samford Bulldogs
14: Jackson State Tigers
15: William & Mary Tribe
16: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
17: Weber State Wildcats
18: Holy Cross Crusaders
19: Kennesaw State Owls
20: Harvard Crimson
21: Dartmouth Big Green
22: New Hampshire Wildcats
23: Northern Iowa Panthers
24: Rhode Island Rams
25: Austin Peay Governors

POD Knows

The Most Significant Win: Samford Bulldogs
The Most Significant Loss: Southern Illinois Salukis
Which Conference Does Your Team Play in?: Missouri Valley Football Conference

NY Crusader 2010
September 6th, 2022, 05:38 PM
Yes, that was a real butt whipping.

I think Harvard is the toughest game on our schedule this year. Even tougher than Buffalo.

HC rarely wins in Cambridge (think the last win was in 2000).

2000 was the last HC win in Cambridge. And since then, the only game there that I recall being even remotely close was the 2008 heartbreaker where we blew 4th quarter leads of 17-6 and 24-12, going on to lose 25-24. Turning point was when we had the ball inside the Harvard 5 yard line up 17-6 and QB Dom Randolph got strip sacked on a naked bootleg. A couple plays later, a long TD pass on a post route made it 17-12. HC rallied to score again but it was all downhill after that. Had we gone up 24-6 like we should have, the game would've been over.

mvemjsunpx
September 6th, 2022, 05:42 PM
Previous week in parentheses…
In retrospect, I would flip ETSU & Dartmouth since that's the way I had them in the preseason poll.

1. North Dakota St. (1)
2. South Dakota St. (2)
3. Montana St. (3)
4. Sacramento St. (5)
5. Montana (6)
6. Missouri St. (7)
7. Incarnate Word (18)
8. Holy Cross (8)
9. Villanova (9)
10. Weber St. (10)
11. Jackson St. (16)
12. Harvard (13)
13. William & Mary (NR)
14. Mercer (17)
15. South Dakota (14)
16. Northern Iowa (15)
17. Tennessee-Chattanooga (22)
18. Delaware (NR)
19. East Tennessee St. (23)
20. Dartmouth (21)
21. Southern Illinois (4)
22. Kennesaw St. (12)
23. Eastern Washington (19)
24. Tennessee-Martin (25)
25. Rhode Island (NR)

Dropped - Stephen F. Austin (11), Florida A&M (20), Sacred Heart (24)

W - Incarnate Word
L - Florida A&M

crusader11
September 6th, 2022, 05:45 PM
2000 was the last HC win in Cambridge. And since then, the only game there that I recall being even remotely close was the 2008 heartbreaker where we blew 4th quarter leads of 17-6 and 24-12, going on to lose 25-24. Turning point was when we had the ball inside the Harvard 5 yard line up 17-6 and QB Dom Randolph got strip sacked on a naked bootleg. A couple plays later, a long TD pass on a post route made it 17-12. HC rallied to score again but it was all downhill after that. Had we gone up 24-6 like we should have, the game would've been over.

That was a really good Holy Cross team. Criminal that the 2008 edition went 7-4, didn't win the league, and missed the playoffs.

A real shame Dom Randolph only won one PLC.

That team lost to top five UMass in the season-opener (45-42), 9-1 and Ivy League champs Harvard (25-24) where we literally handed them the game (as you alluded to), Yale 31-28 in OT, and Colgate 28-27.

Brutal.

Four losses by eight points.

MTfan4life
September 6th, 2022, 06:19 PM

Seventeen spots from a preseason ranking, which in my mind, should have zero effect once the season starts. All I know about Kennesaw is they did not look good Saturday. Until they do so otherwise, there are plenty of other teams to rank instead of them. They'll have plenty of chances to prove their worth. No use giving them merit now before they have a chance to earn it.

mvemjsunpx
September 6th, 2022, 06:31 PM

Samford always overperforms against option teams, though (they're 13-4 against the TO under Hatcher). I'm not convinced that game means as much as it would if Kennesaw had lost to, say, Western Carolina.

And I don't think Samford should be ranked until they prove they can beat decent non-option teams.

FUBeAR
September 6th, 2022, 06:44 PM
Samford always overperforms against option teams, though (they're 13-4 against the TO under Hatcher). I'm not convinced that game means as much as it would if Kennesaw had lost to, say, Western Carolina.

And I don't think Samford should be ranked until they prove they can beat decent non-option teams.
That’s a pretty specific conditional criteria.

So, just winning is not enough anymore? They have to win vs. Teams that run specific Offenses to get your voting respect.

Uh-huh…

What about holding them accountable for winning vs. Teams that run 4-man vs. 3-man fronts as their base Defense? Have you considered how they’ve fared against Teams that have Australian vs. American Punters? What about humanoid vs. animal mascots? Defeating Teams with certain Team Colors schemes, say maroon & silver, preferable over others or nah?

mvemjsunpx
September 6th, 2022, 06:52 PM

So, just winning is not enough anymore? They have to win vs. Teams that run specific Offenses to get your voting respect.

Uh-huh…

What about holding them accountable for winning vs. Teams that run 4-man vs. 3-man fronts as their base Defense? Have you considered how they’ve fared against Teams that have Australian vs. American Punters? What about humanoid vs. animal mascots? Defeating Teams with certain Team Colors schemes, say maroon & silver, preferable over others or nah?

My point is that Samford is probably not as good as that Kennesaw win suggests. The Bulldogs have still lost 6 straight to teams that don't run the TO.

caribbeanhen
September 6th, 2022, 06:57 PM
My point is that Samford is probably not as good as that Kennesaw win suggests. The Bulldogs have still lost 6 straight to teams that don't run the TO.

Results of games are a real

speculation on future games are just that

You gotta vote the week you’re in, next week will take care of it

Catbooster
September 6th, 2022, 06:58 PM

Uh-huh…

I don't put too much stock in most of these things but yes, the last one you list is of utmost importance. Beating teams with maroon and silver colors is worth a couple point bump whether the win is ugly or not.

Preferred Walk-On
September 6th, 2022, 07:22 PM

So are you saying Kennesaw is that bad? Probably justifies almost not ranking them then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUBeAR
September 6th, 2022, 07:46 PM
My point is that Samford is probably not as good as that Kennesaw win suggests. The Bulldogs have still lost 6 straight to teams that don't run the TO.Samford lost games in 2021 because their Defense was worse than most HS JV Defenses & they couldn’t run the ball vs. air.

FUBeAR thought the polls were evaluating their 2022 Team with about 30 Transfers & 50 new Players, and a new DC/D-Staff…and an undefeated record vs. highly ranked opponents.

The only reason they beat what you think are “TO” Teams in 2021 is that Wofford & CIT are wandering in the wilderness these days. Wofford hasn’t run the “TO” since 2019 & CIT had dumbed it down so much in the past 3 years, they really only ran 3 plays “QB run right,” “QB run left,” and “FB Dive.”

Last Thursday, the Samford Bulldogs stifled a Kennesaw Offense - held ‘em to under 200 yards rushing & 3.1 yds/att - when last seen in your nape of the woods, was rolling up about 300 yards rushing at a 4.3 yds/att clip against a Big Sky Champion that whipped your Griz the following week…who weren’t even able to gain 20 yards on the ground against the D that KSU O had just smoked.

Samford 2022 also ran the ball much better - almost half their 1st downs were picked up on the ground and they rushed for 3.5 yd/att - a stat for them that usually begins with a “1.”

If Kennesaw deserved to be ranked last week, like they have been for some ridiculous number of weeks straight (FUBeAR thinks), then Samford 2022 deserves a ranking this week commensurate with waxing that owlet a$$. You have a real, tangible data point (and you could watch the game on ESPN replay) now - a STRONG WIN, as opposed to some kind of made-up screwball backward-looking metric you threw out that’s not even accurate.

….and for the record, a mascot combining an ursine mammal with a humanoid paragon of chivalry, preferably mounted, always gets a 2 slot boost in FUBeAR’s rankings.

ElCid
September 6th, 2022, 08:36 PM

Eh, having two option teams in the conf skews that obviously. Some history going on there besides just performing against "the option.". Pretty sure they are 13-5 as well, just accuracy.

Samford is generally a decent team that has had problems on D occasionally. They have had difficulty closing out games they should have won on waaaay too many occasions. The Hatch attack was spotty as well. It really is feast and famine. The biggest thing I saw this past week was an effective running game which has been missing for a long time and which was fairly impressive against KSU. Samford is easily a top 25 team so far. But it's one game. Time will tell if it's deserved and they move up further or drop out. This coming week won't tell us much, or it might.

mvemjsunpx
September 6th, 2022, 08:58 PM
Eh, having two option teams in the conf skews that obviously. Some history going on there besides just performing against "the option.". Pretty sure they are 13-5 as well, just accuracy.

Samford is generally a decent team that has had problems on D occasionally. They have had difficulty closing out games they should have won on waaaay too many occasions. The Hatch attack was spotty as well. It really is feast and famine. The biggest thing I saw this past week was an effective running game which has been missing for a long time and which was fairly impressive against KSU. Samford is easily a top 25 team so far. But it's one game. Time will tell if it's deserved and they move up further or drop out. This coming week won't tell us much, or it might.

Samford has averaged more than 4.0 yards-per carry each of the past 4 seasons, so they couldn't have been that bad of a running team.

And I agree that the week 1 results alone justify Samford being ranked. I've just never been a fan of basing everything on week 1, and the last few years suggest Kennesaw is a more trustworthy long-term bet than Samford.

Chalupa Batman
September 6th, 2022, 09:22 PM
I dropped SFA, SIU and Kennesaw out of my poll completely, but that was subjective

I dropped all 3 of these from my poll too, as well as Northern Iowa.

FUBeAR
September 6th, 2022, 09:50 PM
FUBeAR’s Last (hopefully) comment about where Samford SHOULD be ranked this week…

There’s an FBS Team.
This is a P5 FBS Team
This is an SEC P5 FBS Team

This SEC P5 FBS Team lost 7 games last year
Samford lost 7 games last years

This SEC P5 FBS Team had a .250 winning % in their Conference last year
Samford’s had a .375 winning % in their Conference last year

…Samford 2021 hung 52 points on this 2021 SEC P5 FBS Team late last season…

This SEC P5 SEC Team, The Florida Gators, played the #7 Utah Utes @ home last week
Samford played AGS #7 Kennesaw @ home last week.

Florida upset #7 Utah in a very close game that could have gone either way
Samford upset #7 Kennesaw by double digits

Florida was unranked in FBS last week
Samford was AGS unranked last week

Florida is ranked #12 in FBS now
Samford is AGS ranked #21 now

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FUBeAR won’t ask “Why?” He knows why…and it ain’t got nuthin’ to do with their (mis)perceived lack of success against non-TO Offenses.

Catatonic
September 7th, 2022, 04:50 AM
That is based on people's guesses in the preseason though. Luckily most are not too stuck to what they thought prior to seeing something so it may be harsh but it is harsh on one's own opinion. Doesn't mean it won't snap back either if they do something deserving from what I have seen over the years. The first 4 weeks are pretty dynamic. Rightfully so.

very well stated. Spot on. Don’t be wed to your preseason guesstimates early in the season.

- - - Updated - - -

OhioHen
September 7th, 2022, 06:44 AM
So are you saying Kennesaw is that bad? Probably justifies almost not ranking them then.

Change the probably to definitely and remove the almost. Then you'll have it right.

Definitely justifies not ranking them.

Catatonic
September 7th, 2022, 06:48 AM
I left SFA in my rankings based on their second half performance against Alcorn. After 6 quarters of uninspired play against JSU and the first half of the Alcorn game, the Jacks dominated the second half 21-3 after trailing 24-10 at the half. It’s as if they finally realized that ratings alone don’t win games. Time will tell if I’m right, but I look for a much improved SFA product going forward. SFA is really up against it at this point. Another loss and they can pretty much count themselves out.

McCowboys
September 7th, 2022, 07:01 AM
I don't put too much stock in most of these things but yes, the last one you list is of utmost importance. Beating teams with maroon and silver colors is worth a couple point bump whether the win is ugly or not.

LOL!

MR. CHICKEN
September 7th, 2022, 07:17 AM
I left SFA in my rankings based on their second half performance against Alcorn. After 6 quarters of uninspired play against JSU and the first half of the Alcorn game, the Jacks dominated the second half 21-3 after trailing 24-10 at the half. It’s as if they finally realized that ratings alone don’t win games. Time will tell if I’m right, but I look for a much improved SFA product going forward. SFA is really up against it at this point. Another loss and they can pretty much count themselves out.

....UMMM......L'JACKS....ARE 1-1....NOT 0-11......LOST TA TRANSITIONAL....AN' ALCORN IS GOOD...PICKED TA WIN SWAC WEST......COME DOWN FROM DUH LEDGE...xsighx....AWK!

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2022, 07:39 AM
....UMMM......L'JACKS....ARE 1-1....NOT 0-11......LOST TA TRANSITIONAL....AN' ALCORN IS GOOD...PICKED TA WIN SWAC WEST......COME DOWN FROM DUH LEDGE...xsighx....AWK!
They didn't lose to a transitional. We absolutely broke them. Losing is one thing. What we did to SFA in that game was embarrassing.

SFA 93
September 7th, 2022, 08:00 AM
I see what they talk about when it comes to JSU fans. lol

Agree with the Alcorn State game in the second half, and it could be later a quality win for SFA.

ASU is a difficult place to win at (22-2 since 2017 at home and a 13 game win streak)

I disagree on another loss, they technically play 3 FBS teams, (with Louisiana Tech being next) so I'd judge them more on their FCS performances.

The Louisiana Tech game will be interesting with the Bulldogs having 5 former SFA coaches and 2 starting DBs from last years SFA's team.

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2022, 08:12 AM

Agree with the Alcorn State game in the second half, and it could be later a quality win for SFA.

ASU is a difficult place to win at (22-2 since 2017 at home and a 13 game win streak)

I disagree on another loss, they technically play 3 FBS teams, (with Louisiana Tech being next) so I'd judge them more on their FCS performances.

The Louisiana Tech game will be interesting with the Bulldogs having 5 former SFA coaches and 2 starting DBs from last years SFA's team.
Tell me I'm wrong.

If you think your team deserves in the top 20 because they've showed up to play for 25% of the season, by all means go for it. I spent the preseason on the SFA hype train. I even had you guys picked to beat us. That derailed quickly.

No way I can look at what SFA has done so far and then look at what Samford did and say SFA is the better team.

Catatonic
September 7th, 2022, 08:35 AM

I view LA Tech as the equivalent of playing a FCS team ranked in the lower half of the AGS top 25. As a FBS team they aren’t very good right now. I think they made a good hire to head their program, but they aren’t there yet. That said, my comment may have been a bit harsh. I’ll retract that thought as long as SFA doesn’t play any more games where they looked dazed and confused.

SU DOG
September 7th, 2022, 09:06 AM
WOW! I haven't seen this much Samford discussion since the year we joined the SoCon. I appreciate the kind words and I even agree with much of the negative comments about our past. It is nice to see my team ranked, yes but I'm not all that concerned about it. What does make me mad is what I perceive as a lack of respect for the Southern Conference. IMO, the SoCon has improved to the point where it is now a major power player in FCS. Sure, you can point to some of these teams and show they are not "up to snuff" but in what conference would this not be true? I think there are several teams in the SoCon this year that could be very competitive with most any team in the land.

KSU was a huge favorite last week, but wasn't it a SoCon Team that ended their season in the second-round of the Playoffs last year? Samford took that same team to overtime before losing to them. There are other examples, so I don't think I am paranoid or off base when I say I think the SoCon is WAY underrated - especially this year.

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2022, 09:17 AM
What does make me mad is what I perceive as a lack of respect for the Southern Conference. IMO, the SoCon has improved to the point where it is now a major power player in FCS.

Every. Single. Year.

Every year this gets said and then you guys get smashed in the postseason.

2021: ETSU beat Kennesaw then got dumpstered in Fargo
2020: You guys went O'fer in the dance.
2019: Not One, but TWO first round exits
2018: You guys beat Elon! Congratulations!
2017: Wofford beat Furman, does that even count?

So no the SoCon isn't underrated.

Everyone ****s on JSU (rightfully) for our lack of playoff success and in the past 5 years we have a better record in the playoffs than the entire SoCon as a collective.

The OVC has more wins in the past 5 years than you.

The ASUN-WAC has more wins than you and we don't even have a full conference.

Even the friggin Southland has more.

You guys are a dog water conference.

SU DOG
September 7th, 2022, 09:43 AM
Every. Single. Year.

Every year this gets said and then you guys get smashed in the postseason.

2021: ETSU beat Kennesaw then got dumpstered in Fargo
2020: You guys went O'fer in the dance.
2019: Not One, but TWO first round exits
2018: You guys beat Elon! Congratulations!
2017: Wofford beat Furman, does that even count?

So no so SoCon isn't underrated.

Everyone ****s on JSU (rightfully) for our lack of playoff success and in the past 5 years we have a better record in the playoffs than the entire SoCon as a collective.

The OVC has more wins in the past 5 years than you.

The ASUN-WAC has more wins than you and we don't even have a full conference.

Even the friggin Southland has more.

You guys are a dog water conference.

THANKS for proving my point about SoCon respect, nicely done LOL! I said that the SoCon has improved and that THIS year the SoCon will be tough. BTW, if you want to go back thru the years, how has JSU fared against the KSU Owls?

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2022, 09:48 AM
THANKS for proving my point about SoCon respect, nicely done LOL! I said that the SoCon has improved and that THIS year the SoCon will be tough. BTW, if you want to go back thru the years, how has JSU fared against the KSU Owls?

And my point is y'all say the same **** every year.

Funny you mentioned Kennesaw...

In the past 10 years we have a losing record against the MVFC, the CAA, and the Southland....

But we're 9-0 vs the SoCon.

atthewbon
September 7th, 2022, 09:59 AM
I should have dropped SIU more. I just really don’t feel remotely confident in any team after the top 11. BTW I’ve been having issues accessing the desktop version of AGS and only been able to go through Tapatalk and the mobile version does anyone have any suggestions?

4: Montana Grizzlies
6: Incarnate Word Cardinals
8: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
9: Villanova Wildcats
10: Sac State Hornets
11: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
12: Chattanooga Mocs
13: William & Mary Tribe
14: Southern Illinois Salukis
15: Eastern Washington Eagles
16: Northern Iowa Panthers
17: Jackson State Tigers
18: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
19: South Dakota Coyotes
20: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks
21: Holy Cross Crusaders
22: Mercer Bears
23: Richmond Spiders
24: UC Davis Aggies

MSUBobcat
September 7th, 2022, 10:15 AM
I should have dropped SIU more. I just really don’t feel remotely confident in any team after the top 11. BTW I’ve been having issues accessing the desktop version of AGS and only been able to go through Tapatalk and the mobile version does anyone have any suggestions?

How long have you been having issues? I think the log in process changed a while back. I didn't log out to check it, cuz I may or may not remember my password and don't want to deal with that, but I think it changed from using your username as your log in to using your email address, or vice versa. Dunno if that helps. xdontknowx

SU DOG
September 7th, 2022, 10:19 AM
And my point is y'all say the same **** every year.

Funny you mentioned Kennesaw...

In the past 10 years we have a losing record against the MVFC, the CAA, and the Southland....

But we're 9-0 vs the SoCon.

And if KSU wins this year, won't that make you 0-4 against the Owls? I agree with you that the SoCon had a long way to go from a few years ago, but I contend that this conference has improved and is now much stronger. You can certainly have a different opinion. On a personal note, I'm sure that I was a JSU fan long before you were, so I won't say anything else derogatory about your Gamecocks. When Samford didn't field a football team, I drove to Jacksonville many many times. As a high school coach my assistant was a former JSU All-American, the late Billy Hicks, who I loved like a brother.

You can have the last word, as I am through debating with you. I guess that we can agree to disagree.

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2022, 10:27 AM
And if KSU wins this year, won't that make you 0-4 against the Owls? I agree with you that the SoCon had a long way to go from a few years ago, but I contend that this conference has improved and is now much stronger. You can certainly have a different opinion. On a personal note, I'm sure that I was a JSU fan long before you were, so I won't say anything else derogatory about your Gamecocks. When Samford didn't field a football team, I drove to Jacksonville many many times. As a high school coach my assistant was a former JSU All-American, the late Billy Hicks, who I loved like a brother.

You can have the last word, as I am through debating with you. I guess that we can agree to disagree.
If Kennesaw beats JSU again it still doesn't really help your point.

I don't need the last word. My opinion really doesn't matter. But if the SoCon is as improved as you all claim then maybe you guys will win more than one playoff game this year. Everything will sort itself out in the playoffs.

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2022, 10:30 AM
WOW! I haven't seen this much Samford discussion since the year we joined the SoCon. I appreciate the kind words and I even agree with much of the negative comments about our past. It is nice to see my team ranked, yes but I'm not all that concerned about it. What does make me mad is what I perceive as a lack of respect for the Southern Conference. IMO, the SoCon has improved to the point where it is now a major power player in FCS. Sure, you can point to some of these teams and show they are not "up to snuff" but in what conference would this not be true? I think there are several teams in the SoCon this year that could be very competitive with most any team in the land.

KSU was a huge favorite last week, but wasn't it a SoCon Team that ended their season in the second-round of the Playoffs last year? Samford took that same team to overtime before losing to them. There are other examples, so I don't think I am paranoid or off base when I say I think the SoCon is WAY underrated - especially this year.
There are 4 SOCON teams in the AGS Top 25 right now and another in the ORV... that's a pretty healthy amount of respect for a 9-team conference IMO.

You can say this year the league will be better than previous years but it's all pretty empty until it's backed up on the field. The only chances a conference as a whole has to back that up is in with the non-conference schedule and in the playoffs. IIRC the SOCON had a very forgettable non-conference resume as a whole last year (ETSU's win over Vandy was pretty much the only good win) but Samford has already given the league a great start this year with their win over KSU. Although looking at the rest of the conference's OOC schedule there's not a lot of opportunities outside of FBS games - Wofford has a couple decent chances with games against KSU and Elon. After that it looks like a lot of middling Big South/ASUN teams and sub-D1 games.

SU DOG
September 7th, 2022, 10:37 AM
Unfortunately, Wofford has so many problems that unless miraculous changes happen soon, they won't have any chances.

SFA 93
September 7th, 2022, 10:39 AM
The jury is still out for me on SFA, and for me, it will be judged on how they do in FCS competition.

No doubt the run defense is getting gutted, right up the middle, (286 yards a game after two games, that ain't good) and what else that is lacking, is the aggressive nature of the defense that was pretty intense in 2021.

But we do have a new DC, along with a new DT, OL, and DB coach and with that comes new ways of doing things, and maybe the team is still trying to get there, still learning the schemes.

Compound that by the loss of 3 starting DT's (1 to the NFL, 1 starting at TCU, and 1 starting at Liberty) as well as two starting DB's that are now starting at Louisiana Tech really hurt the defense as well. Two red-shirt freshmen now start on the defensive front, something the coaching staff was not expecting for 2022.

So yea, frustrating to say the least, and yes the hype was up there as well, who knows maybe this team will come around and start getting it, the talent is there, but we will see, not ready to write them off just yet after two games.

TheRevSFA
September 7th, 2022, 10:45 AM
They didn't lose to a transitional. We absolutely broke them. Losing is one thing. What we did to SFA in that game was embarrassing.

Nah, the fact that your are still allowing Jack Dawson to be part of your team is ****ing embarrassing, champ.

TheRevSFA
September 7th, 2022, 10:48 AM
The jury is still out for me on SFA, and for me, it will be judged on how they do in FCS competition.

No doubt the run defense is getting gutted, right up the middle, (286 yards a game after two games, that ain't good) and what else that is lacking, is the aggressive nature of the defense that was pretty intense in 2021.

But we do have a new DC, along with a new DT, OL, and DB coach and with that comes new ways of doing things, and maybe the team is still trying to get there, still learning the schemes.

Compound that by the loss of 3 starting DT's (1 to the NFL, 1 starting at TCU, and 1 starting at Liberty) as well as two starting DB's that are now starting at Louisiana Tech really hurt the defense as well. Two red-shirt freshmen now start on the defensive front, something the coaching staff was not expecting for 2022.

So yea, frustrating to say the least, and yes the hype was up there as well, who knows maybe this team will come around and start getting it, the talent is there, but we will see, not ready to write them off just yet after two games.

The losses we've taken this year with the staff going to Louisiana Tech and then TCU is showing. Also, eating our own cheese and playing uninspired football has hurt. I hope the Alcorn State was the kick in the ass the team needed.

Catatonic
September 7th, 2022, 11:21 AM
The losses we've taken this year with the staff going to Louisiana Tech and then TCU is showing. Also, eating our own cheese and playing uninspired football has hurt. I hope the Alcorn State was the kick in the ass the team needed.

If you had told me before the start of the season that ACU would have two players with more receiving yards after one game than Xavier Gibson after two games, I would have laughed out loud. I mean, Tarleton isn’t really the same quality opponent as SFA has played but still…

Definitely time to put in bear down in those Piney woods.

ElCid
September 7th, 2022, 11:42 AM
Samford has averaged more than 4.0 yards-per carry each of the past 4 seasons, so they couldn't have been that bad of a running team.

And I agree that the week 1 results alone justify Samford being ranked. I've just never been a fan of basing everything on week 1, and the last few years suggest Kennesaw is a more trustworthy long-term bet than Samford.

Well stats in a vacuum are just numbers. Sure it's picked up a bit the last couple years. I suppose I've watched them more closely to see how effective their runs have been. I'd venture to guess a bit of those yards are unplanned QB scrambles. So as an example, if they can't pick up a third-and-one and have to punt. Or can't keep the clock running late when they need to and have to punt again. I'll have to check to see how many games they've lost after having the lead late, but they may lead FCS in that stat. Their TOP has been down in the 24-26 min range a lot the last few years. So I guess it would be more accurate to say their running game was a bit poor when it counted, regardless of the stats.

As far as one game goes, it's hard to not use "history" as a data point, but I must continually remind myself, I am not ranking a 2022 team based on what that team did in 2018, or 19, or 20 or even 21. I can use it as a subjective backdrop, but I have to look close at today's team. It's hard not to be influenced by previous success/failure. I think that's why good teams rise slowly in the polls sometimes, and fall slowly as well, even though both may actually deserved. We still have a pretty dang good poll.

caribbeanhen
September 7th, 2022, 12:46 PM
The Ivies issue is self-inflicted so I won't be shedding any tears for them. Harvard will get a chance to prove they belong in the top 25 when they play Holy Cross in a couple weeks. One thing about the AGS Poll is it's a lot easier for teams to break into it and up it then the STATS and Coaches polls (see Samford for an example this week). So the Ivies will get their chance to prove they belong despite being out of sight and out of mind right now.

I had mistakenly assumed that one Ivy was in the preseason top 25 and dropped out but I was wrong so much ado about nothing on my part

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2022, 12:50 PM
2017: Wofford beat FurmanSo, then, as a voter/former voter, when an unranked Team, in the 1st week of the season, beats a perennial Top 10 Team, sitting @ #7, by double digits, what is your standard # of slots reduction for that unranked Team in your current week Poll BECAUSE that Team is part of a Conference that had 1 other Conference Team beat 1 other Conference Team in a 2nd round Playoff game 5 years ago?

Certainly, as you cited it in this AGS Poll Results - 2022 SEASON - Wk. 1 thread, that ‘knock’ on the previously unranked Team should have been relevant to voters as they were completing their ballots this week, right?

Hmmm…FUBeAR wonders how many FBS voters considered the Teams & the outcome of the 2017 SEC Championship Game (Georgia beat Auburn 28-7) as they were slotting the 2022 Florida Team into the #12 spot this week?

TheRevSFA
September 7th, 2022, 12:57 PM
If you had told me before the start of the season that ACU would have two players with more receiving yards after one game than Xavier Gibson after two games, I would have laughed out loud. I mean, Tarleton isn’t really the same quality opponent as SFA has played but still…

Definitely time to put in bear down in those Piney woods.

The fact that SFA managed to win with Gipson having 0 yards says a lot about what the offense can do. If La Tech is going to target Gipson, at least we have some other options.

Preferred Walk-On
September 7th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Change the probably to definitely and remove the almost. Then you'll have it right.

Definitely justifies not ranking them.

Oh, I didn’t rank KSU…was just referring to poll as a whole.

JSUSoutherner
September 7th, 2022, 01:28 PM
So, then, as a voter/former voter, when an unranked Team, in the 1st week of the season, beats a perennial Top 10 Team, sitting @ #7, by double digits, what is your standard # of slots reduction for that unranked Team in your current week Poll BECAUSE that Team is part of a Conference that had 1 other Conference Team beat 1 other Conference Team in a 2nd round Playoff game 5 years ago?

Certainly, as you cited it in this AGS Poll Results - 2022 SEASON - Wk. 1 thread, that ‘knock’ on the previously unranked Team should have been relevant to voters as they were completing their ballots this week, right?

Hmmm…FUBeAR wonders how many FBS voters considered the Teams & the outcome of the 2017 SEC Championship Game (Georgia beat Auburn 28-7) as they were slotting the 2022 Florida Team into the #12 spot this week?
To be fair I think Samford should be ranked.

But to come in an whine about conference respect when half of your conference is ranked despite having little to no success in the postseason?

Give me a break.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2022, 01:48 PM
…despite having little to no success in the postseason?All but 1 SoCon Team went undefeated last postseason.

If you want to ‘knock’ ETSU for losing to (“dumpstered” is how you (mis)characterized it) NDSU in the FargoDome, after keeping it to a 6-0 game inside of a minute until halftime, that’s fine.

But that’s a standard that should have been applied to S. ILL (lost 38-7 and trailed by 3 scores at halftime) and Montana State (more harshly since it was neutral site…lost 38-10 and trailed by 4 scores at halftime) - in the the pre-season poll…right?

Let’s see….

Montana State Bobcats (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/147)

Southern Illinois Salukis (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/79)

East Tennessee State Buccaneers (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2193)

Hmmmm???

taper
September 7th, 2022, 02:03 PM
All but 1 SoCon Team went undefeated last postseason.

If you want to ‘knock’ ETSU for losing to (“dumpstered” is how you (mis)characterized it) NDSU in the FargoDome, after keeping it to a 6-0 game inside of a minute until halftime, that’s fine.

But that’s a standard that should have been applied to S. ILL (lost 38-7 and trailed by 3 scores at halftime) and Montana State (more harshly since it was neutral site…lost 38-10 and trailed by 4 scores at halftime) - in the the pre-season poll…right?

Let’s see….

Montana State Bobcats (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/147)

Southern Illinois Salukis (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/79)

East Tennessee State Buccaneers (https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2193)

Hmmmm???
Are you actually complaining about the order of the top 10 in a preseason poll? I think FUBeAR needs to take a step back and wait until week 4-5 to complain about poll rankings.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2022, 03:48 PM
Are you actually complaining about the order of the top 10 in a preseason poll? I think FUBeAR needs to take a step back and wait until week 4-5 to complain about poll rankings.
Nope. You have completely missed FUBeAR’s point.

Pre-season polls are not much better than throwing darts. So, “whatever” is fine in preseason.

FUBeAR’s point throughout this thread is & has been…Voters in all polls - not just AGS - refuse to recognize that they were just throwing darts and they hold on to their pre-conceived near-totally-uninformed opinions in spite of what actual outcomes and their eyes (if they even look) are telling them.

As we’ve seen play out right here, voters will go thru amazing feats of contortion to justify why they choose to ignore actual current data in favor of sticking with their previously uninformed opinion. Certainly, in this Transfer Portal era, citing a Playoff game from 5 years ago that didn’t even involve the Team in question as somehow informing one’s rankings is, well, nothing short of insane. And this works both ways - keeping highly ranked Teams still ranked after they poop the queen-size & escorting Teams that have just kicked down the Top 10 door to a seat in Row 25 at the back of the bus.

If polls are going to be taken preseason and early season (which they are and will), they should be highly fluid - like Florida going from unranked to #12 cuz they beat #7.

The outcomes of the current games should be, BY FAR, the primary driver behind where Teams are ranked - more so in the early season - where we can see that our preconceptions May have been wrong, but before a ‘body of work’ is established to reduce that fluidity. But that really doesn’t happen too often in FCS polls. It should.

If Southern Illinois is ALL THAT, they’ll have plenty of opportunity to prove that and climb back into the rankings. No need to put the ‘gutter guards’ out to keep them in the Top 20 after they get boat-raced on opening day.

But…you’re right - FUBeAR should step back. He can’t put his back paws behind his ears while doing a handstand on his front paws…like he used to.

Chalupa Batman
September 7th, 2022, 06:05 PM
2: Montana Grizzlies
4: South Dakota State Jackrabbits
6: Incarnate Word Cardinals
7: Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens
8: Villanova Wildcats
9: Chattanooga Mocs
10: Sac State Hornets
11: East Tennessee State Buccaneers
12: Holy Cross Crusaders
13: William & Mary Tribe
14: Weber State Wildcats
15: Jackson State Tigers
16: Eastern Washington Eagles
17: Samford Bulldogs
18: Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks
19: Mercer Bears
20: UC Davis Aggies
21: Dartmouth Big Green
22: Richmond Spiders
23: Southeastern Louisiana Lions
24: Harvard Crimson

Chalupa Batman

The Most Significant Win: Incarnate Word Cardinals
The Most Significant Loss: Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2022, 08:24 PM
A couple schools set new all-time highs for themselves this week in the AGS Poll with Missouri St at #6 and Incarnate Word at #8.

ElCid
September 7th, 2022, 10:45 PM
Hah, I like it. Just checked out my poll submission against the final and I think for the first time, I had every team in the poll (1-25), in my poll. Fairly certain it never happened before. I usually have one in that is 27 or 28, or 32, etc. This time I had the same 25 in mine.