PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Dayton @ YSU game

Paladin1aa
September 6th, 2022, 10:33 AM
YSU hosts Dayton this week. YSU comes off a win over Duquesne 31-14. Dayton beat Robert Morris 22-20.

YSU’s Jaleel McLaughlin was named the MVFC offensive player of the week for his 20 carries for 203yds and 3 TDs.

Dayton appears to be a heavy run team with little passing threats. On paper ,this one appears to be a weenie for the Guins.

There is a chance this one is played in the rain.

Paladin1aa
September 6th, 2022, 12:18 PM
Dayton trailed much of the game and held off RMU on a two pt conversion on a late TD to win 22-20.
Otherwise , not very impressive. Rushed for 230 yds and 87 passing yds. Scored on a 63 yd jet sweep by theSlot and a one yd. QB sneak. Kicked3 FGs. QB is first year starter RFR. Ran for 93 yds.

This one has all the earmarks of a blow out win for YSU. Not sure there will be a true sign of major improvement against better competition. Dayton isn’t all that.

BeamMeUp
September 6th, 2022, 04:59 PM
If we don't dominate them from start to finish I will be very disappointed. No excuses this week coming out slow!

MR. CHICKEN
September 6th, 2022, 09:10 PM
DAYTON....HASN'T BEEN SHUT-OUT...IN 497 GAMES....AN ALL DIVISIONS NCAA RECORD...FWIW......BRAWK!

Paladin1aa
September 7th, 2022, 07:40 PM
Game notes are up with no changes from last week in the two deeps. Also appears rain will hold off until after the game.

Like last week, I expect they will play lots of players to get them on film for evaluation. They showed little of the O in Duquesne game and expect same for Dayton. Saving up the good stuff for Kentucky/NDSU. Outlook remains they finish first 4 games at 2-2.

The coaches TV show was the same old crap. Boring !

Paladin1aa
September 8th, 2022, 01:57 PM
Time for predictions - I will say

YSU 38

Dayton 7

ysubigred
September 8th, 2022, 09:36 PM
Game notes are up with no changes from last week in the two deeps. Also appears rain will hold off until after the game.

Like last week, I expect they will play lots of players to get them on film for evaluation. They showed little of the O in Duquesne game and expect same for Dayton. Saving up the good stuff for Kentucky/NDSU. Outlook remains they finish first 4 games at 2-2.

The coaches TV show was the same old crap. Boring !Ok.. I'm a realist 2-2 is a safe bet..

If a miracle happens who would it likely happen against? NDSU or KY?

Divine intervention [emoji56]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DetroitFlyer
September 9th, 2022, 03:22 PM
Should be interesting to see how Dayton fares in this one.... Dayton did not play particularly well at Robert Morris, but still got the win. QB play will be critical. QB only starting his second game in college. It will also be interesting to see if Dayton's run defense can do better than Duquesne. Looking forward to the FCS championship of Ohio!

Baron Sardonicus
September 9th, 2022, 04:18 PM
Hey Flyer, don't you need an avatar update?

penguinpower
September 10th, 2022, 06:47 AM
Should be interesting to see how Dayton fares in this one.... Dayton did not play particularly well at Robert Morris, but still got the win. QB play will be critical. QB only starting his second game in college. It will also be interesting to see if Dayton's run defense can do better than Duquesne. Looking forward to the FCS championship of Ohio!

I don't think YSU wants to show much with the next 2 games looming. I think that Dayton will get a heavy dose of the ground game from YSU and they won't be able to stop them. I think the talent gap is too wide for them to remain competitive for 4 quarters. Nothing against the Flyers, just the way I see it.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 01:12 PM
Dayton is undersized. YSU stuffs them for 3 and out.

YSU moves down field easily. YSU TD pass.

YSU 7-0

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 01:27 PM
YSU INT and runs it back to Dayton 35. YSU TD pass.

YSU 14-0

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 01:38 PM
TD pass to McLaughlin for 52 yds.

YSU 21-0

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 01:40 PM
Dayton is getting eaten alive on both sides of the ball. They will empty the bench today.

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 01:40 PM
I hope no one gets hurt. At this point may see the band suit up by half. Like to see a shut out pitched.. break that 400 plus game streak of Dayton's.

If YSU had a QB and 9-11 back on D this might be a good team.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 01:56 PM
Ooops ! Sorry ,Red. Dayton hits a FG

YSU 21-3

2nd qtr

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Mother ****er.. I just throat punched myself for jinxing the shut out [emoji43]

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 01:59 PM
Ooops ! Sorry ,Red. Dayton hits a FG

YSU 21-3

2nd qtrSee below SMH!

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 02:02 PM
Crenshaw hits Tomczak for TD pass

YSU 28-3

2nd qtr

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 02:08 PM
Crenshaw hits Tomczak for TD pass

YSU 28-3

2nd qtrToo bad Crenshaw can't be this good against stiff competition..

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 02:12 PM
Dayton hits TD pass against backups .

YSU 28-10.

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 02:13 PM
Ummm. Scratch the band as subs need to keep the #1's in obviously SMH!

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 02:14 PM
Too bad Crenshaw can't be this good against stiff competition..

We will find out against Kentucky.

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 02:15 PM
Dayton hits TD pass against backups .

YSU 28-10.Levis will have 300 yds passing and 200 yds rusting by half on YSUs stellar coverage crews..

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Half time. YSU 28-10.

YSU is playing around emptying their bench early 2nd qtr. they may want to get starters back in for a qtr. again. Pass game is hot. McLaughlin is rolling. D is playing fair but opponent is a weenie. They need a lot of work as the next 2 games are major steps up. Hope for no injuries as they get the experience factor and confidence against an inferior opponent.

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 02:41 PM
We will find out against Kentucky.You going? We'll be setting up TG about 0730 at Kroger Field.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 02:45 PM
You going? We'll be setting up TG about 0730 at Kroger Field.

No. The game will probably be broadcast on WBCB locally . My big screen TV, food and drink and my oversized recliner,lol.

everyone can get a preview. Kentucky plays Florida tonite at 7 pm. On ESPN.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 03:09 PM
YSU playing backups. Bummer !

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 03:12 PM
McLaughlin 34 yd TD run.

YSU 35-10

3 qtr

penguinpower
September 10th, 2022, 03:40 PM
We are playing terribly undisciplined.

- - - Updated - - -

Not going to get it done in the Missouri valley conference

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 03:50 PM
Crenshaw throws another TD pass. Ties record with 5 TD passes in a game.

YSU up 42-16

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 03:51 PM
Crenshaw has thrown for 230 yds and 5 TDs. Ties Kurt Hess record.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Back ups score. Davidson throws to Hensley for another TD pass.

YSU 49-16

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 04:05 PM
Final

YSU 49-16.

Played lots of guys. Didn’t see any injuries. While they improved, the competition was down. Kentucky looms.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 04:10 PM
Damnnnnnnnnnn. The radio guys are going crazy - claiming YSU is better because of all the local recruits. Are you *****ting me ?

Good way to kill off the program again. STFU !

Hannon the homer strikes again.

penguinpower
September 10th, 2022, 04:24 PM
Damnnnnnnnnnn. The radio guys are going crazy - claiming YSU is better because of all the local recruits. Are you *****ting me ?

Good way to kill off the program again. STFU !

Hannon the homer strikes again.

They're just giving a narrative to get local interest. The community doesn't realize the FB is not the same as it was in the 79's and 80's. I spoke with the coach about a year ago. He knows what he needs to do. Hannon is just trying to help them fill empty stands. Everyone knows

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 06:11 PM
They're just giving a narrative to get local interest. The community doesn't realize the FB is not the same as it was in the 79's and 80's. I spoke with the coach about a year ago. He knows what he needs to do. Hannon is just trying to help them fill empty stands. Everyone knows

If you listen to the 5th Quarter show, you know that’s not true. The low IQs of the area think we need more local stars, even named off some area players to recruit. That is a program killer. It was the reason it got killed with Heacock. Wolf stopped that crap and got fired for it. Then Bozo is hired and we load up with worthless local players. Everyone cheered that.

For better or worse, the area is now small school FB producing few D-I players and even those are not that great. Cleveland, Columbus, Cincy and Florida players are the future. Not Youngstown.

penguinpower
September 10th, 2022, 06:16 PM
Agreed and I will give you credit for seeing that years ago

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 06:46 PM
If you listen to the 5th Quarter show, you know that’s not true. The low IQs of the area think we need more local stars, even named off some area players to recruit. That is a program killer. It was the reason it got killed with Heacock. Wolf stopped that crap and got fired for it. Then Bozo is hired and we load up with worthless local players. Everyone cheered that.

For better or worse, the area is now small school FB producing few D-I players and even those are not that great. Cleveland, Columbus, Cincy and Florida players are the future. Not Youngstown.Well tooo bad Wolford was a piss poor coach.. need to bring him back as a recruiter..

Wolford got fired for his piss poor performance in the MVFC and his arrogant bull**** personality. Plus a lying disloyal cock sucker. Just ask anyone from KY especially the head coach.

xtwocentsx

BeamMeUp
September 10th, 2022, 08:00 PM
Albeit vs. two teams that wouldn't win many games in the Valley, YSU is giving up just 53 yards per game (51 vs. Duquesne and 55 vs. Dayton) on the ground thus far this season. If YSU has any shot at a winning record this season, that will absolutely have to continue as our pass defense looks like it will cause my anxiety to rise once we enter league play...

Go Guins!

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 08:15 PM
Well tooo bad Wolford was a piss poor coach.. need to bring him back as a recruiter..

Wolford got fired for his piss poor performance in the MVFC and his arrogant bull**** personality. Plus a lying disloyal cock sucker. Just ask anyone from KY especially the head coach.

xtwocentsx

Stoops ? lol. Pray tell. What did he lie about ?

Wolf had Stoops brother as a coach AND the Director of H.S. Relations. That was a BS position to keep the local whackos at bay who wanted all the local talent signed ( who were worthless). The AD kisses the azz of the local political elite to keep them happy ( read the loges) and wants coaches to recruit locally. Heacock was extended when he should have been fired while recruiting local stars. He started to kill the program doing that. Enter Wolf, who not only was a super r3cruiter, but canned local recruiting that upset the political elite. After turning the program around, beating, no dominating Pitt and having a winning record, he was let go ( for not recruiting locally) and the excuse was he didn’t make the playoffs ( which was on the way early under Bozo). Didn’t help that the AD didn’t give him money for a decent DC( he went thru 3). Then hires Bozo and greatly increases money for a staff( read DC). Bozo then salutes sharply and resumes recruiting locally again while proceeding to lose after running out of Wolf recruits. The current coach is under pressure to recruit locally. We will see how long he lasts because he is recruiting elsewhere.

The paper trail shows coaches who followed orders to recruit locally failed, kill the program and were let go.Those who stood up against recruiting locally they ran off, even if winning and even if putting a program in place to beat major programs. They were also let go.

The victim ? YSU football. However in the case of the AD, he also had a hand in killing MBB and WBB.

You were saying ?

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 08:35 PM
And BTW, Red, the locals want to whine, just like you, that he didnt win in the MVFC. Guess what ? Neither did St. Tressel. When you are in the toughest FCS league its tough to win IF you recruit poorly. I spent years, YEARS, warning everyone what was going on and the rubes thought we should be winning the MVFC. Explained in detail what was happening, why they were losing, bringing in lesser classes, getting out recruited . But, hey, what did I , a former HC know ? YSU was a 4 time National Champ. We knew how to do it better than anyone else.

Reality is a real bitch when you are blind, deaf and dumb.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 08:44 PM
Albeit vs. two teams that wouldn't win many games in the Valley, YSU is giving up just 53 yards per game (51 vs. Duquesne and 55 vs. Dayton) on the ground thus far this season. If YSU has any shot at a winning record this season, that will absolutely have to continue as our pass defense looks like it will cause my anxiety to rise once we enter league play...

Go Guins!

Hooker (SS) as I understand it has a concussion. Don’t know how long he will be out. Against a program like the Dukes or Dayton, our CBs have not been great. Good but not great. But then again, we have a poor pass rush creating pressure on the secondary. Hard to quantify. The next two games will reveal how good we really are at run D.

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 08:51 PM
And BTW, Red, the locals want to whine, just like you, that he didnt win in the MVFC. Guess what ? Neither did St. Tressel. When you are in the toughest FCS league its tough to win IF you recruit poorly. I spent years, YEARS, warning everyone what was going on and the rubes thought we should be winning the MVFC. Explained in detail what was happening, why they were losing, bringing in lesser classes, getting out recruited . But, hey, what did I , a former HC know ? YSU was a 4 time National Champ. We knew how to do it better than anyone else.

Reality is a real bitch when you are blind, deaf and dumb.Damn! Wolford blowing you or something? Never seen such a love affair with a POS loser wannabe coach.. Like I said he recruited well for not? Bozo damn near won all the marbles with his recruits except from the guy's that followed him from N.

Duford was 31-26

Heacock was 60-44

Heacocks ****ty recruiting yields a better winning %

OR maybe Heacock did more with less hence better coach.. Hell Jon didn't even have an indoor practice facility [emoji1787]

St. Tressel won NC's

Let it goo, let it go, yada yada...

OBTW,,, it's deaf dumb and blind and I play a mean pin ball [emoji867]

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 09:13 PM
You never answered, Red. What did the Wolf lie about ?

Damn right he could recruit. And coach. He is on Alabama’s staff now.

You could be the AD. Keep coaches who should be fired and fire coaches who beat Pitt.

You probably would have known better than to hire Robic and have him kill MBB or hire losing WBB coaches, including the one who produced that 0-30 gem of a season. Yes, Red, you would fit right in. Two peas in a pod,lol

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 09:24 PM
You never answered, Red. What did the Wolf lie about ?

Damn right he could recruit. And coach. He is on Alabama’s staff now.

You could be the AD. Keep coaches who should be fired and fire coaches who beat Pitt.

You probably would have known better than to hire Robin and have him kill MBB or hire losing WBB coaches, including the one who produced that 0-30 gem of a season. Yes, Red, you would fit right in. Two peas in a pod,lolWell, I only know what the locals say Wolf took the bama job after saying he wouldn't. Maybe not a lie but deceitful. Coach what? The numbers doesn't back up your statement. Looks like KY isn't missing that POS!

Alabama doesn't look to stellar to me.. a ****ing O line coach is like a pimple on the bamas elephants ass..

One thing we do have in common my friend a dislike for Ron the bean counter.

Back on topic..

Ky is going to man handle the guins! YSU will be lucky to get 100 yards of O.

Our stellar rushing D will give up their game average in the 1st KY O series.

Mark Stoops passes Bear Bryant as the winningest coach at KY.

But I'll be there to cheer them on [emoji3060]

BeamMeUp
September 10th, 2022, 09:34 PM
Kentucky just took down Florida in the swamp 26-16... The Wildcats will have a solid ranking heading into next weeks meeting with the Penguins in Lexington. Hope our O.C. is watching this as we will need to be creative to have much luck against this D.

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 09:38 PM
Well, I only know what the locals say Wolf took the bama job after saying he wouldn't. Maybe not a lie but deceitful. Coach what? The numbers doesn't back up your statement. Looks like KY isn't missing that POS!

Alabama doesn't look to stellar to me.. a ****ing O line coach is like a pimple on the bamas elephants ass..

One thing we do have in common my friend a dislike for Ron the bean counter.

Back on topic..

Ky is going to man handle the guins! YSU will be lucky to get 100 yards of O.

Our stellar rushing D will give up their game average in the 1st KY O series.

But I'll be there to cheer them on [emoji3060]

I agree. YSU will lose. They don’t have the talent for Kentucky. However, need to see if they show any strength and use the game to prepare for the MVFC. They have a week off between Ky. And NDSU. They have some pieces that should do well in the MVFC. That why you play the games.

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 09:41 PM
I agree. YSU will lose. They don’t have the talent for Kentucky. However, need to see if they show any strength and use the game to prepare for the MVFC. They have a week off between Ky. And NDSU. They have some pieces that should do well in the MVFC. That why you play the games.Yes sir. The MVFC doesn't look to stellar today.

I'm watching the Dawgs struggle with SEMO? Edit losing to SEMO!
SIU YIKES!

SDSU?

UNI?

SDU yikes!

WIU, INDY St, double yikes..

Mo state ?

UND tough at home weak on the road.

Ill State yikes

NDSU $$

YSU yikes

Paladin1aa
September 10th, 2022, 10:13 PM
Kentucky just took down Florida in the swamp 26-16... The Wildcats will have a solid ranking heading into next weeks meeting with the Penguins in Lexington. Hope our O.C. is watching this as we will need to be creative to have much luck against this D.

I agree, Beam.

If it was me, I’d turn Crenshaw loose... read options, QB draws, etc. they haven’t run him in the first 2 games. Add in play action passing, dump passes to McLaughlin and throw to the TEs. They showed some success with the back up TB. McLaughlin can be spelled to keep him fresh.

ysubigred
September 10th, 2022, 10:29 PM
I agree, Beam.

If it was me, I’d turn Crenshaw loose... read options, QB draws, etc. they haven’t run him in the first 2 games. Add in play action passing, dump passes to McLaughlin and throw to the TEs. They showed some success with the back up TB. McLaughlin can be spelled to keep him fresh.Umm and have both of them in an ambulance heading to Y-town.

10-8 should stay at home Saturday take a spa day and prepare for the MVFC.

This maybe the most physical team YSU has ever faced..

Have to mention.. I bet Nebraska would love to have Bozo back..

Paladin1aa
September 11th, 2022, 07:34 PM
One final set of comments -

1. got to review game film on Dayton- YSU. They are not only improved, they are significantly improved in several areas with decent depth at several important positions. YSU has played a ton of kids in our first 2 games and they have evaluated them on film. Experience is gaining as the transfers and returning starters show excellent incorporation.

2. while the lines are not super players, their techniques are vastly improved. Bigger, stronger.

3. while Dayton wasn’t great, YSU talent has increased significantly with the transfers. All are major improvements.

4. it’s funny, but YSU has shown little of its O so far. Lots of surprises ahead.

5. the D is using a 4-2 with a nickel secondary. Matches up well on Spread Os and easily adjustments to run/pass. We are deep at LBs and DBs.

6. my preseason prediction settled at an expected 4 wins with a shot at 5 wins. That is under review based on the first 2 games by league schools. It appears the league is down. Then a review of the composite schedule shows this interesting tidbit - going into the league schedule after our NDSU game shows our next opponent each week will be coming off an extremely tough game, leaving many with injury possibilities, mental letdowns from potentially a thrashing and home field advantage in play. Unexplainable, many will play the Guins after just playing NDSU the week before.

The above facts means that in next 2 games will call for a re-evaluation pending YSU play as well as new evaluation of league members. It may well be a much different year than many had anticipated. Stay tuned as I may well be wrong with new data to consider and may have to up my projections.

The Yo Show
September 11th, 2022, 07:54 PM
3 questions for you paladin:

1. Will the DB out on targeting for the 1st half of this next game really hurt us depth wise?
2. What type of surprises? Do you think there might be some flair to help against Kentucky (or more likely NDSU)?
3. I personally like the 4-2 scheme to defend the predominant modern spread offensives. I know it's early and only two games but what's your impression of the improvement on defense and or do you approve of the defensive coordinator?

Paladin1aa
September 11th, 2022, 08:29 PM
As to #1, we aren’t going to beat Ky. so not a big deal. But as to Ky., Hooker was out with a concussion and D’Marco got a BS call. He used his shoulder not his head. So we will miss him for the first half. Not concerned here as both should be back for the season. Depth for the season looks good after Ky game.

As to #2, I don’t want to say much but Crenshaws strength ( running) really hasn’t been used much and we have some trick plays ready to use. The pass game has been vanilla. However, they love the wide outs ( Oliver, Fordham). Both caught TD passes on vanilla routes. Both are big targets with good speed and hands. This year we will throw deep. Underneath, Tomczak is a possession type receiver who gets open ( we can’t cover him in practice and neither has 2 teams so far). Add in flairs to McLaughlin in the flats and we have a dangerous attack. Just haven’t used much of the passing tree yet.

As to #3, it’s still early. I note we are using much of the D that Ohio St new DC is using. We have the talent for it, lots of speed too. Deep at LBs and the secondary. I noticed more in the use of their hands, shedding blockers and better pursuit to the ball. All better than last year when we were awful. I’ll know more after some real competition. Next 2 games should provide much better answers. That why a new evaluation of league games may be prudent. Things now are not as they appeared in preseason.

Penguin Nation
September 12th, 2022, 02:35 PM
Paladin, it sounds like DP is filling up the empty cupboard left by DumBo. He seems like a respectable guy who wont embarrass the way his predecessor did, which is worth a lot.

There's the recurring debate on the cheerleader forum about YSU's decline since JT left in 2000, and our former opponents (Georgia Southern, Marshall, Appy State) making headlines and beating ranked teams. Going from the "Team of the 90s" to two playoff appearances/21 years despite expanded playoff fields is a stunning drop off. Obviously moRon sucks and is never held accountable, but what would you have done differently? Move to FBS/MAC? My answer is I'd change nearly everything, but particularly scheduling. Fan interest seems to be of zero concern re: scheduling. Even if you're not in the MAC, you can stuff your OOC schedule with MAC teams. Why wasn't McNeese replaced with another game? Is Akron being rescheduled? It would be tremendous to to to InfoCision, collect a check and an FBS scalp.

Thanks for your insight and good content. Best around including the local media.

Paladin1aa
September 12th, 2022, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the compliment, PN.

DP got off to a rough start, allowing himself to be bullied into accepting some local talent. But he hit a home run on the current Frosh class. Those kids will be in the playoffs soon. The icing on the cake were the transfers/Jucos he brought in this year. Top quality. All would start for most FCS. Needs to keep that up and shun the local talent.

As to the debate, most guys on the cheerleader board are clueless. That ship has sailed. Area and YSU are being downsized. Money is scarce.FBS is too expensive and maintaining it is ludicrous. Would have been nice, but get real. The MAC was ideal but the only league to consider and we couldn’t even afford that. Would have needed double our revenue to do just to get to the basement teams expenditures. And then maintain that pace. Out of the question. And, I’ll throw this in - sad reality is we would sink in the MAC. Playing and beating the Zips and Can’t in the basement was doable, but maintaining that pace and beating the others is a bridge too far. Money again, better campus living conditions on regional campus vs a commuter school is a downer and many of the MAC have their own successes to display . Tough to recruit against that.