PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-5

JALMOND
September 5th, 2022, 03:59 PM
The first game is in the books for all the Big Sky teams and the quest for the conference title and AC berth in the playoffs has begun. Most of the games went according to form, except for Northern Colorado. This week's games will be a little more challenging. Sacramento State, though, will be sitting this week out. Here are this week's power rankings (last week in parenthesis). All are my opinion only. On to week 2.

1. Montana State (1)---Last week, beat McNeese State (Southland) at home, 40-17. This week, Morehead State (Pioneer) at home---The Bobcats hold on to the top spot due to their strong win at home last week. Perhaps more of the same this week as a relatively easier opponent comes knocking.

2. Montana (3)---Last week, beat Northwestern State (Southland) at home, 47-0. This week, South Dakota (Missouri Valley) at home---Questions about the offense? Forget it. The Grizzlies dominated on both sides and got a strong home win. The Missouri Valley comes calling this week.

3. Sacramento State (2)---Last week, beat Utah Tech (WAC) at home, 56-33. This week, bye---The home opener for the Hornets after their strong season last year and they did not disappoint in getting the win. They take this week off to prepare for a Missouri Valley game on the road.

4. UC Davis (5)---Last week, lost at California (FBS Pac-12), 34-13. This week, at South Dakota State (Missouri Valley)---The Aggies got the first score in their game against their Pac-12 cohorts, then lost traction. They return to the FCS, but things don't get easy for them.

5. Weber State (6)---Last week, beat Western Oregon (DII) at home, 41-5. This week, at Utah State (FBS Mtn West)---It was business as usual for the Wildcats last week, taking down a lower division foe. They take the short trip into the FBS to face a team that got pounded by Alabama.

6. Eastern Washington (4)---Last week, beat Tennessee State (Ohio Valley) at home, 36-29. This week, at Oregon (FBS Pac-12)---The Eagles did get a win at home last week in a game that was closer than expected. Now they go on the road to face an FBS team that got pounded by Georgia.

7. Idaho (8)---Last week, lost at Washington State (FBS Pac-12), 24-17. This week, at Indiana (FBS Big 10)---The Vandals took the short trip just across the border and threw a scare into their Pac-12 opponent. Can they do the same against the Big 10 and a much longer road trip?

8. Portland State (9)---Last week, lost at San Jose State (FBS Mtn West), 21-17. This week, at Washington (FBS Pac-12)---The Vikings snuffed out two short drives to try to get an FBS scalp, but the third short drive is what did them in. Now they move up to the Power 5 for a tough game.

9. Northern Arizona (7)---Last week, lost at Arizona State (FBS Pac-12), 40-3. This week, at Sam Houston (WAC)---Maybe it was the step up to the Pac-12 but the Lumberjacks could not get anything on either side of the ball. They return to the FCS, but a tough game awaits.

10. Cal Poly (11)---Last week, lost at Fresno State (FBS Mtn West), 35-7. This week, San Diego (Pioneer) at home---After spotting an FBS team 21 points, the Mustangs buckled down and played some good football the rest of the game. They return home for a game against the FCS.

11. Idaho State (12)---Last week, lost at UNLV (FBS Mtn West), 52-21. This week, at San Diego State (FBS Mtn West)---With the exception of one bad quarter, the Bengals played their Mtn West opponent pretty even. They stay in the Mtn West this weekend, having two weeks to prepare this time.

12. Northern Colorado (10)---Last week, lost at home to Houston Baptist (Southland), 46-34. This week, at Wyoming (FBS Mtn West)---Ugly and not competitive can best describe the Bears game. They have to move on and play up a level this week, but it is a short trip.

RECAP: 1-6 contenders still, 7-9 possible, 10-12 slipping.

nevadagriz
September 5th, 2022, 09:06 PM
Good list I would make a few minor tweaks but nothing major. Not as high on UC Davis, Weber played a warm up game. So far Idaho seems most improved and have to give Poly props game was closer than the score.
Is the 33 points given up by Sac St a concern or all scored against 2nd and 3rd team?
NoCO WTH? Maybe if they put Sirmon in sooner they pull out the victory.
EWU god speed the next 5 weeks!

wapiti
September 6th, 2022, 11:38 AM
1. Montana State---Dispatched McNeese in the 2nd half of the game.

2. Montana---Drilled a shutout against Northwestern Louisiana State

3. Sacramento State---Beat Utah Tech by more than 3 scores.

4. Weber State---Opened up with a cupcake. Now onto FBS Utah State who just got pounded by Alabama. This has potential to be a scalp.

5. UC Davis ---I expected the game against Cali to be closer, but they are a P5 FBS. So maybe my expectation was not well grounded.

6. Eastern Washington---EWU appears to have struggled against Tennessee State. It will be much harder for their next game.

7. Idaho ---Gave WSU a good scare. Is Idaho going to make some noise in conference this season?

8. Portland State ---Nearly took SJS down. SJS had to score late to earn a W.

9. Cal Poly ---Game against Fresno finished as expected

10. Northern Arizona ---Was not even close to beating ASU.

11. Idaho State ---Spanked by a weak FBS team

12. Northern Colorado ---Beaten up by a weaker FCS team

RECAP: 1-6 contenders still, 7-10 possible, 11-12 bottom of the heap

VandalBasher
September 6th, 2022, 11:57 AM
I don't ever put rankings on the Vandals because it always blows up in my face.

The game was awesome. I talked a WSU alum to fly back for the game. He didn't talk during the 4th quarter until the last interception with 38 seconds on the WSU 8 yard line.

This team isn't improved. We will be playing the same level of talent as any of the last five years. But, Coach Eck has this team playing with focus and with creative offensive play calling. I have heard from numerous Vandals, even before the WSU game, they are excited for this season.

I believe Idaho will go 6-5 this year for the first winning season since our bowl win in 2016 against Colorado State.

SeattleCat
September 6th, 2022, 01:21 PM
I don't ever put rankings on the Vandals because it always blows up in my face.

The game was awesome. I talked a WSU alum to fly back for the game. He didn't talk during the 4th quarter until the last interception with 38 seconds on the WSU 8 yard line.

This team isn't improved. We will be playing the same level of talent as any of the last five years. But, Coach Eck has this team playing with focus and with creative offensive play calling. I have heard from numerous Vandals, even before the WSU game, they are excited for this season.

I believe Idaho will go 6-5 this year for the first winning season since our bowl win in 2016 against Colorado State.

I think you guys are heading in the right direction finally. Coach Eck is a great coach, you guys hit a homerun with that one.

MSUBobcat
September 6th, 2022, 09:23 PM
1. Montana (1) - a thorough, yet expected, beating of Northwestern State keeps them atop the rankings
2. Montana State (2) - see Montana, but replace with McNeese
3. Sac State (3) - they didn't beat UTU as much as I expected, which lost me a $60 parlay, but expected results yields no change from my preseason ranking
4. UC-Davis (4) - I expected them to maybe put up more of a fight against Cal, but Weber playing a D-II didn't justify a jump
5. Weber (5) - another expected result = no change
6. EWU (6) - this is where I almost made a change. I opted to not because of EWU's penchant for winning and my new #7's history of not. But their performance against Tenn State has me further on notice.
7. Idaho (8) - the Vandals played a shockingly good game against WSU. No moral victory to pass a team that won its game, however underwhelming it may have been.
8. PSU (9) - same as Idaho, Portland nearly claimed a scalp last weekend.
9. NAU (7) - I was less impressed by their FBS loss than the 2 that passed the Lumberjacks.
10. Cal Poly (10) - outcome as expected.
11. ISU-o (11) - bad loss to a bad FBS team. Only place for them is #11 because....
12. UNC (12) - holy $#i+ Bears!! If they couldn't beat winless-last-year HBU at HOME, I'm not sure I see a victory on their schedule.

Overall, many things went as expected, but EWU has me further questioning them. Questions on D still abound. Idaho looks better than they've been, albeit incredibly small sample size. PSU is right where they've been for a while, just waiting to crack the contender ranks. NAU underwhelmed. ISU-o and UNC appear worse than I expected.

caribbeanhen
September 7th, 2022, 09:12 PM
Marcus Knight RB
Montana

Where has he been?

Roamingriz
September 7th, 2022, 09:36 PM
He wasn't 1 or 2 on the depth chart but he got a few reps and is looking healthy. And bigger. Looking forward to seeing more of him "easing" his way back in to opposing defenses.

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2022, 09:23 AM
He wasn't 1 or 2 on the depth chart but he got a few reps and is looking healthy. And bigger. Looking forward to seeing more of him "easing" his way back in to opposing defenses.

thank you, I noticed he had a really good season in 2019 and now just playing again three years later

I thought that was interesting And that is why I asked

MSUBobcat
September 9th, 2022, 09:37 AM
thank you, I noticed he had a really good season in 2019 and now just playing again three years later

I thought that was interesting And that is why I asked

Knight was injured all of 2021. Will be a weapon for the rest of the Big Sky to have to deal with this year.

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2022, 02:22 PM
RB Cameron Skattebo is a must see ...