PDA

View Full Version : CAA WEEK 1 THOUGHTS/QUESTIONS

MUHAWKS
September 4th, 2022, 08:44 AM
If this is overkill, the powers that be please delete this post as I know there are other CAA posts. I guess I am not entirely sure on what dictates a new thread being started. Wanted to talk about week 1 and forward only.

I obviously watched UNH/MU-- , saw Nova, I saw almost all of William and Mary, a lot of the Elon game and parts of Richmond but not much. I usually try to not read too much into week 1 regardless of opponent b/c so many factors at play.

First, question for those that watched Delaware- Unbiased opinion please- Was UD Really good? Navy bad? a little of both? perfect storm? I did not get to see that game. Seems UD defense may be very good but not sure if Navy is a true test from that standpoint? UD fans happy with what they saw? Obviously happy with outcome, but looks good?

Same Question for Towson in reverse? any shot Bucknell has improved or does Towson just have no shot to be competitive? Again tough to write anyone off week 1 but with the CAA possibly very up this year that result does not bode well.

Albany tough to gage anything, I saw small pieces and just so hard to tell b/c of opponent.

Maine- I saw the result not the game. Seems a lot of folks picked Maine which left me puzzled and now I have even more questions.

Nova- Not sure if Lehigh is improved but seems they may be. They did not look like awful awful. Nova looked pretty good, liked the QB and some nice WR's.

Elon- I really liked what I saw there to be honest.

William and Mary- Same as Elon, I was impressed.

Did not see URI/SB but heard accounts that URI may be very good.

Monmouth/UNH- I am biased and feel we handed the game away, but what I am really after here is what teams are def good, are any very good, who just will not compete etc. So even had we won not sure that question is answered for us and in reality same for UNH. Seems verdict still out on both? I still feel we can and will compete although a little worried now about both our lines. UNH seemed to dominate us there and although their D line is def very good not sure their O line will be the best we face. With a high scoring Fordham team up for us, should have a better gage.

Basically, what does everyone think after week 1? Anything seem certain yet? Any major injuries? any team that had a down week 1 that should not be read too much into?

I hate getting emotional about 1 game but in watching elon, william and mary and seeing the UD result it leaves me thinking my team has just too much separating us from them. But again, it is early and "styles make fights" seems to hold true for The CAA>.

Sitting Bull
September 4th, 2022, 08:54 AM
It’s rare when a CAA team wins their FBS game and fails to make the playoffs, which would mean a top 3 or 4 finish in the CAA. So I do think W&M and Delaware distinguished themselves a bit in that regard. And both wins appeared to be legit. W&M gained near 600 yards and scored 21 Q4 points which certainly goes against the grain in these games. For UD, holding Navy to 7 points in Annapolis is a feat, regardless of how Navy finishes. Ditto for the Tribes performance at Charlotte.

Other than that, I think Elon performed well. Same with Villanova, Richmond and URI.

Towson, Maine and Stony Brook I think underperformed.

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2022, 09:12 AM
The jury is still out on Delaware

Everyone knew the defense was the strength of the team but having said that, Navy looked horrible. What is hard to say is was Navy horrible because Delaware was really good.... But the Delaware Defense totally dominated Navy yesterday.

Delaware is going to struggle with the running game because their Oline is still not that good, talented quarterback Nolan Henderson was running for his life again. That talent enabled him to escape pressure and throw a beautiful pass to an open Chandler Harvin for a 50 yard touchdown

One of our hyped transfer wide receivers didn’t even play, Jayln Witcher

MR. CHICKEN
September 4th, 2022, 09:14 AM
If this is overkill, the powers that be please delete this post as I know there are other CAA posts. I guess I am not entirely sure on what dictates a new thread being started. Wanted to talk about week 1 and forward only.

I obviously watched UNH/MU-- , saw Nova, I saw almost all of William and Mary, a lot of the Elon game and parts of Richmond but not much. I usually try to not read too much into week 1 regardless of opponent b/c so many factors at play.

First, question for those that watched Delaware- Unbiased opinion please- Was UD Really good? Navy bad? a little of both? perfect storm? I did not get to see that game. Seems UD defense may be very good but not sure if Navy is a true test from that standpoint? UD fans happy with what they saw? Obviously happy with outcome, but looks good?

Same Question for Towson in reverse? any shot Bucknell has improved or does Towson just have no shot to be competitive? Again tough to write anyone off week 1 but with the CAA possibly very up this year that result does not bode well.

Albany tough to gage anything, I saw small pieces and just so hard to tell b/c of opponent.

Maine- I saw the result not the game. Seems a lot of folks picked Maine which left me puzzled and now I have even more questions.

Nova- Not sure if Lehigh is improved but seems they may be. They did not look like awful awful. Nova looked pretty good, liked the QB and some nice WR's.

Monmouth/UNH- I am biased and feel we handed the game away, but what I am really after here is what teams are def good, are any very good, who just will not compete etc. So even had we won not sure that question is answered for us and in reality same for UNH. Seems verdict still out on both? I still feel we can and will compete although a little worried now about both our lines. UNH seemed to dominate us there and although their D line is def very good not sure their O line will be the best we face. With a high scoring Fordham team up for us, should have a better gage.

Basically, what does everyone think after week 1? Anything seem certain yet? Any major injuries? any team that had a down week 1 that should not be read too much into?

I hate getting emotional about 1 game but in watching elon, william and mary and seeing the UD result it leaves me thinking my team has just too much separating us from them. But again, it is early and "styles make fights" seems to hold true for The CAA>.

PECKERHEADS WILL ALWAYS TELL IT LIKE IT IS:

HENS...ROLY POLYS......5 SACKS.....13 YDS.....(PARDON DUH EXPRESSION)...RUSHIN'......SHADES UH LAST SEASON......KUDOS TA FORMER WABBIT.......DINKEL....UNSUNG HERO.....7 PUNTS 45.4 AVG.....63 YARDER.....AWK!

DEL STATE....GETS UH BIG DOSE UH RUN GAME SATURDAY........PECKERS......NEED DUH WORK........AWK!

CAN NOW UNDERSTAND SAMMY'S SOMETIMES FRUSTRATION......CARTY TURNED DOWN UH CHIPPY FG...(ALL-DOUGH...KICKER LOOKED POOR ON 40 SOMETHIN' EARLIER) IN EXCHANGE FO' 'NOTHERAH RUNNIN' PLAY...&....WENT FO' 4TH & 2..INSIDE OURAH FIFTY....WHIFF UH RUNNIN' PLAY...DID AH MENTION 13 YDS NET??.......WHICH IFIN' AH 'MEMBERAH....LED TA MIDDIE 7...AWK!

DID CHRISSI......WASH OUT CARTY'S PIE HOLE.......AFTERAH....DUH END GAME INTERVIEW.....xconfusedxxeekxxconfusedx.....BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2022, 09:17 AM
PECKERHEADS WILL ALWAYS TELL IT LIKE IT IS:

HENS...ROLY POLYS......5 SACKS.....13 YDS.....(PARDON DUH EXPRESSION)...RUSHIN'......SHADES UH LAST SEASON......KUDOS TA FORMER WABBIT.......DINKEL....UNSUNG HERO.....7 PUNTS 45.4 AVG.....63 YARDER.....AWK!

DEL STATE....GETS UH BIG DOSE UH RUN GAME SATURDAY........PECKERS......NEED DUH WORK........AWK!

CAN NOW UNDERSTAND SAMMY'S SOMETIMES FRUSTRATION......CARTY TURNED DOWN UH CHIPPY FG...(ALL-DOUGH...KICKER LOOKED POOR ON 40 SOMETHIN' EARLIER) IN EXCHANGE FO' 'NOTHERAH RUNNIN' PLAY...&....WENT FO' 4TH & 2..INSIDE OURAH FIFTY....WHIFF UH RUNNIN' PLAY...DID AH MENTION 13 YDS NET??.......WHICH IFIN' AH 'MEMBERAH....LED TA MIDDIE 7...AWK!

DID CHRISSI......WASH OUT CARTY'S PIE HOLE.......AFTERAH....DUH END GAME INTERVIEW.....xconfusedxxeekxxconfusedx.....BRAWK!

Mr C can you kick?

Our FG kicker is in Cincinnati

TribePride52
September 4th, 2022, 09:23 AM
The Towson board is saying they’re grad QB who was supposed to start, is out for the season with a knee injury.

Probably coach speak, but Ambrose said he was confident in 4 of the 6 QBs they had to start that game, and that clearly wasn’t the case.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Bucknell went phyiscally toe-to-toe with Towson last night which was shocking. The Bison were atrocious last year. Easily one of the worst PL teams I have ever seen (Georgetown and 90s Fordham being the others). Unless Cecchini was able to bring in some transfer ringers I do not see how they could have improved THAT much in 9-10 months.

Villanova is still loaded! They will be a major factor on the national scene. While Lehigh stinks (likely a 3-5 win team) they still have competent athletes/team speed relative to actually good FCS teams. Given that, Villanova gave up yards in space but ultimately they didn't amount to much given the Wildcats defensive execution vs Lehigh's offensive execution in key moments.

MR. CHICKEN
September 4th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Mr C can you kick?

Our FG kicker is in Cincinnati

SHOODAH STAYED IN NEW-ARK......COES TOES.....WERE 1 FO' 3......MAKIN' UH 26 YARDER.....MISSIN' ONE INSIDE DUH 30 &....UH 40 SOMETHIN'.........AGIN' RAZOR OINKS......AWK!

KPSUL
September 4th, 2022, 09:29 AM
I think it is great you started this Thread. it's better to have a separate one to talk about games instead of posting everything on the Pick'em Thread.

I think both Delaware and Navy have excellent defenses, it's harder to tell about Delaware's offense. However, they did show flashes of offensive prowess against a very good defensive team. I already had them 11th, but was impressed enough to move them to 9th in the AGS poll. They'll likely put up 40+ points in some upcoming games.

Elon's new transfer dual threat QB looked good and handled the pressure very well, pretty impressive for his 1st game with Elon. Although Vanderbilt may still be basking in the glory of winning @ Hawaii by forty-something and thinking about the sandy beaches and beautiful girls they didn't get to spend much time with.

I wouldn't worry to much about the MU @ UNH game. Countless teams have left Durham NH wondering what just happened. UNH has an exceptional D-Line. Josiah Silver, DE who sacked Muskett and then blocked the punt on the next play was the only Sophomore on the Stats Preseason FCS AA 1st Team. The other DE is only a 1/2 step behind and DT Niki Kvietkus is very tenacious and experienced. You're right, you will play against better OLs in other CAA games this season. Muskett did a great job handling the rush other than that forced throw that led to the pick-6. He's very slick and crafty moving in the pocket and throws a great pass, both short and long - he's very accurate. UNH needs to get a 2nd RB involved in the offense and QB Max Brosmer looked a bit rusty after missing all of 2021, IMHO pretty much like we saw from Nolan Henderson.

I don't know just how good W&M is from the Charlotte game. The 49ers were already almost bald before the Tribe scalped them.

MUHAWKS
September 4th, 2022, 09:47 AM
I think it is great you started this Thread. it's better to have a separate one to talk about games instead of posting everything on the Pick'em Thread.

I think both Delaware and Navy have excellent defenses, it's harder to tell about Delaware's offense. However, they did show flashes of offensive prowess against a very good defensive team. I already had them 11th, but was impressed enough to move them to 9th in the AGS poll. They'll likely put up 40+ points in some upcoming games.

Elon's new transfer dual threat QB looked good and handled the pressure very well, pretty impressive for his 1st game with Elon. Although Vanderbilt may still be basking in the glory of winning @ Hawaii by forty-something and thinking about the sandy beaches and beautiful girls they didn't get to spend much time with.

I wouldn't worry to much about the MU @ UNH game. Countless teams have left Durham NH wondering what just happened. UNH has an exceptional D-Line. Josiah Silver, DE who sacked Muskett and then blocked the punt on the next play was the only Sophomore on the Stats Preseason FCS AA 1st Team. The other DE is only a 1/2 step behind and DT Niki Kvietkus is very tenacious and experienced. You're right, you will play against better OLs in other CAA games this season. Muskett did a great job handling the rush other than that forced throw that led to the pick-6. He's very slick and crafty moving in the pocket and throws a great pass, both short and long - he's very accurate. UNH needs to get a 2nd RB involved in the offense and QB Max Brosmer looked a bit rusty after missing all of 2021, IMHO pretty much like we saw from Nolan Henderson.

I don't know just how good W&M is from the Charlotte game. The 49ers were already almost bald before the Tribe scalped them.

I just looked at your schedule.. No Delaware, Nova or William and Mary!! Still have URI, Richmond and Elon but you have legit shot at being 6-1 into Elon home game (not saying you cannot beat W michigan) .. shapes up nicely..

Lets see if CAA holds true to for and eventually everyone beats everybody, where u get Towson or Albany or Monmouth stepping up and beating a top team- and then the top tams all beating each other etc etc... Man this is goa be wild..

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2022, 09:49 AM

I think your take on Delaware is pretty good

The thing about the Monmouth at New Hampshire game is New Hampshire lost their last eight games last year and they were playing a team whose claim to fame was beating Kennesaw State .... and we know what happened to Kenny when they played Samford on Saturday, they got beat.

the jury is still out on whether New Hampshire or Monmouth are any good ... Middle of the pack at best is my guess

Big South was never any good

KPSUL
September 4th, 2022, 10:03 AM
-

I just looked at your schedule.. No Delaware, Nova or William and Mary!! Still have URI, Richmond and Elon but you have legit shot at being 6-1 into Elon home game (not saying you cannot beat W michigan) .. shapes up nicely..

Lets see if CAA holds true to for and eventually everyone beats everybody, where u get Towson or Albany or Monmouth stepping up and beating a top team- and then the top tams all beating each other etc etc... Man this is goa be wild..

Almost nothing happens as expected in this conference. With Tony Muskett at QB Monmouth will win some conference games. Your receivers played well also. Your defense only gave up 17 points. Was Farri 100%? He only played about 1/3rd of the game.

UNHWildcat18
September 4th, 2022, 10:04 AM
Yeah I see UNH being middle of the pack, Our D might be playoff worthy but our Oline will have too much of an effect on our running or passing game to put up the numbers to compete with the top teams IMHO.

Very impressed with some of the other teams this weekend though and their performances vs FBS foes. It’s shaping up to be a very interesting season!

MUHAWKS
September 4th, 2022, 10:11 AM
I think your take on Delaware is pretty good

The thing about the Monmouth at New Hampshire game is New Hampshire lost their last eight games last year and they were playing a team whose claim to fame was beating Kennesaw State .... and we know what happened to Kenny when they played Samford on Saturday, they got beat.

the jury is still out on whether New Hampshire or Monmouth are any good ... Middle of the pack at best is my guess

Big South was never any good

Big South was never any good is basically accurate. Kennesaw did way more than we ever did but their style is just so fkin hard to play against for some teams so I do not even consider them a good gage, but yeah basically right. The only thing I ever really thought was that the bottom tier CAA teams recently would NOT have done much better in the Big South. But who knows and at this point who cares haha..

Sitting Bull
September 4th, 2022, 10:13 AM

You picked Charlotte to win the game in the week 1 pick’em so I guess we are at least 18 points better than you thought.

Also worth noting we took a knee twice at their 5yl as the clock ran down. Could have easily been 48-24.

MUHAWKS
September 4th, 2022, 10:17 AM
-

Almost nothing happens as expected in this conference. With Tony Muskett at QB Monmouth will win some conference games. Your receivers played well also. Your defense only gave up 17 points. Was Farri 100%? He only played about 1/3rd of the game.

Farri is 100% yes.. Yeah that was puzzling but just a guess we sort of could not run the ball no matter who was in there so I think we opted for better help pass protecting (not that it helped much) and although we did not abandon the run I think was just situational..

MRuler
September 4th, 2022, 10:27 AM

As an Albany fan I watched every second of Albany's ass kicking from Baylor. They were in over their heads as would every team in the CAA and 95% of FCS. Baylor is as advertised! Very Very Big and great athletes. Their second and maybe their third team would win the CAA outright. There were some positive moments for UA if you can believe that. No disrespect to Delaware's, Bill n Mary's victories. Very happy the CAA got the wins. Even a shout out to a decent showing by Richmond but the victories came against squads that would all be blown off the map by Baylor.

The positives for UA (LOL): They are going to be more than fine in CAA play. They are very big up front on O and have a beast of a RB in Sibley. He was stymied but the DL they were going against we D1 athletes and averaged 335 a man. They have found themselves a QB. I think Old Dominion made a big mistake letting Poff the Magic Dragon get away. He can run, throw and is very calm under pressure. Scrambles very well. Not bad for his first college game and against a superior opponent. Also Delaware, thank you for a punter. He was superb.

On D they had two or three series where Baylor disrespectfully went for a first down on 4th down in their own territory and they shut it down. Yes it was a rarity but overall our our DL played well... for a while. They will not see any DL in the CAA of that caliber. The entire team was cooked mid third qtr. hence the score. Also Baylor could of showed more class, they were still throwing in the 4th. I think they were embarrassed by the halftime score.

Outlook: This IMHO is a much improved-different team this season, They have an outstanding QB, TE and WR as well as a RB that will dish out punishment when he runs. Not sure how many wins this will get them but my hunch is they will win more than they did last year when they lost all those heartbreakers. Their schedule is far easier and they have been tested and came out healthy.

Baylor is for real!

MUHAWKS
September 4th, 2022, 10:30 AM
As an Albany fan I watched every second of Albany's ass kicking from Baylor. They were in over their heads as would every team in the CAA and 95% of FCS. Baylor is as advertised! Very Very Big and great athletes. Their second and maybe their third team would win the CAA outright. There were some positive moments for UA if you can believe that. No disrespect to Delaware's, Bill n Mary's victories. Very happy the CAA got the wins. Even a shout out to a decent showing by Richmond but the victories came against squads that would all be blown off the map by Baylor.

The positives for UA (LOL): They are going to be more than fine in CAA play. They are very big up front on O and have a beast of a RB in Sibley. He was stymied but the DL they were going against we D1 athletes and averaged 335 a man. They have found themselves a QB. I think Old Dominion made a big mistake letting Poff the Magic Dragon get away. He can run, throw and is very calm under pressure. Scrambles very well. Not bad for his first college game and against a superior opponent. Also Delaware, thank you for a punter. He was superb.

On D they had two or three series where Baylor disrespectfully went for a first down on 4th down in their own territory and they shut it down. Yes it was a rarity but overall our our DL played well... for a while. They will not see any DL in the CAA of that caliber. The entire team was cooked mid third qtr. hence the score. Also Baylor could of showed more class, they were still throwing in the 4th. I think they were embarrassed by the halftime score.

Outlook: This IMHO is a much improved-different team this season, They have an outstanding QB, TE and WR as well as a RB that will dish out punishment when he runs. Not sure how many wins this will get them but my hunch is they will win more than they did last year when they lost all those heartbreakers. Their schedule is far easier and they have been tested and came out healthy.

Baylor is for real!

I believe it man- I am sort of not sold on Albany being an after thought at all-- The small pieces I saw I saw some athletes.. One kid on DL looked very good too..

KPSUL
September 4th, 2022, 10:35 AM
You picked Charlotte to win the game in the week 1 pick’em so I guess we are at least 18 points better than you thought.

Also worth noting we took a knee twice at their 5yl as the clock ran down. Could have easily been 48-24.

I didn't know diddily-squat about Charlotte, just playing the FBS odds. Taking a knee twice as the clock winds down is never note-worthy, not doing so when you're up by two scores would be. If it helps your confidence, I had W&M ranked 20 something before the game and moved them to 16th this am when I sketched out the Top 25.

Sitting Bull
September 4th, 2022, 10:39 AM
I didn't know diddily-squat about Charlotte, just playing the FBS odds. Taking a knee twice as the clock winds down is never note-worthy, not doing so when you're up by two scores would be. If it helps your confidence, I had W&M ranked 20 something before the game and moved them to 16th this am when I sketched out the Top 25.

No issue, it just seemed like you were belittling the win, which was actually pretty dominating. And they are rare, the CAA only gets 1 or 2 per year. I didnÂ’t think we would win there. But I was impressed with what I saw, it was more than I expected.

MR. CHICKEN
September 4th, 2022, 10:44 AM
BOYS BOYS....xslapfightx....................xhugx...... .AWK!

KPSUL
September 4th, 2022, 10:44 AM

Sibley does look like you cloned Karl Mofor!

Tribe4SF
September 4th, 2022, 10:45 AM
No issue, it just seemed like you were belittling the win, which was actually pretty dominating. And they are rare, the CAA only gets 1 or 2 per year. I didnÂ’t think we would win there. But I was impressed with what I saw, it was more than I expected.

Two things stand out to me. 21-0 4th quarter and no turnovers gained. Turnovers almost always figure in FCS upsets of FBS teams and dominating 4th quarter against deeper rosters is rare.

Tribal
September 4th, 2022, 10:51 AM
Two things stand out to me. 21-0 4th quarter and no turnovers gained. Turnovers almost always figure in FCS upsets of FBS teams and dominating 4th quarter against deeper rosters is rare.

And, in the transfer portal era, our most impactful players (and nearly our entire 2deep) were our recruits out of HS. That’s pretty amazing.

KPSUL
September 4th, 2022, 10:51 AM

I didn't watch any of the game, but I think the majority of Pick'em players picked W&M to win. Any FCS over FBS win by 17 points is impressive. I got skewered on the both the CAA FBS wins this weekend!