PDA

View Full Version : Play call of the year??

KAUMASS
October 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM
UMass down by 6, early third period with nothing right going for UMass in the game. UMass has the ball, 4th and a yard or so on our own 35 yard line. UMass goes for it, fake handoff right, pass to the left into the flat into a strong breeze. Pass covered about 15-20 yards in the air. UMass picks up 4 or 5 yards, gets the first, goes into score later on the same drive. UMass's offense started to click after that.

Talk about installing confidence into your offense. If UMass didn't make it, the way the game was going, 'Nova would have taken it home.

That play call might have saved a CAA championship and a possible seed in the playoffs for UMass. It is way to early to speculate, but you never know.

Any opinions?

JohnStOnge
October 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
It did take gonads to go for it from their own 35 yard line with so much time left to go and trailing only by six.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 14th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Guts and confidence if you get the first, stupidity and arrogance if you miss.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Guts and confidence if you get the first, stupidity and arrogance if you miss.

coaches can get fired or extended for crazy play calls...

DuckDuckGriz
October 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Similar to Jerry Glanville going for 2 and a win against NAU a few weeks ago - fakes the handoff and the QB goes with the bootleg and mis-fires. PSU loses, everyone wonders WTF.

But yes, that takes balls.

Old Cage
October 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I wasn't surprised when we decided to go for it, but I had a momentary panic when I realized what we were doing. Then calm settled in when I saw that J.J. was the intended receiver. He is an excellent "good hands" guy and certainly was open.

th0m
October 14th, 2007, 02:05 PM
What I'm more puzzled about is, why did you struggle so immensely with Villanova who was breaking in a new QB? Were you guys really bad, or were the Wildcats just that good, or a mix?

KAUMASS
October 14th, 2007, 02:38 PM
What I'm more puzzled about is, why did you struggle so immensely with Villanova who was breaking in a new QB? Were you guys really bad, or were the Wildcats just that good, or a mix?

Villanova was impressive. Good ball control. QB was catlike. Made some really neat throws, but has a knack for scrambling. I would say UMass was off a little, possibly due to a bye week, but no excuses. Villanova had a great game plan and played tough, period. I was and I wasn't surprised by how well they played compared to some prior games this year, as they hung in against Maryland in their opener, which was 10-7 at the half and they lost 31-14. They had no drop off with their freshman QB. Villanova might be a Jekell and Hyde this year.

I talked with Coach Talley prior to the game by the sidelines as he knew my father and he had recruited me way back in the day. He said he had a decent young team this year, but next year is their year. He called the CAA the black and blue division. He is a nice guy. I predict 'Nova's remaining games will be hard to "predict". Watch out next year for 'Nova.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 14th, 2007, 02:45 PM
That is a gutsy call but this is the play call next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkA3nxuMJoM

minuteman65
October 14th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Definitely a good choice to go for it. Not sure I liked the playcall when it happened, but it worked!

EmeryZach
October 14th, 2007, 03:03 PM
That was about the only thing the coaches did right all day. Not getting the field goal team out on the field at the end of the game and having to tak a delay of game penalties was horrible coaching. And they are still getting waaaay too many penalties.

ChickenMan
October 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I have a feeling that things will get much tougher for Nova's Fr QB over the next few weeks, as opposition defensive co-ordinators get more of a look at what he does and doesn't do well and game plan accordingly. Something UMass had no opportunity to do.

KAUMASS
October 14th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I have a feeling that things will get much tougher for Nova's Fr QB over the next few weeks, as opposition defensive co-ordinators get more of a look at what he does and doesn't do well and game plan accordingly. Something UMass had no opportunity to do.

Agree 100%. The kid can scramble though...

BEAR
October 14th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Play call of the year?? My vote goes for Coach Conque pulling QB nathan brown after his 7th TD of the game early in the 3rd quarter. :D xlolx