PDA

View Full Version : UNI to #1?

Saint3333
October 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Is there any doubt now? #2 UNI defeats #7 SUI, while Montana struggles again. Even the Montana fans seem to be agreeingxeekx.

Montana is the Ohio State of the FCS, except OSU actually beats up on their weaker opponents.

For those that still don't think Montana has a weak schedule the evidence is mounting up.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/toughest%20schedule/iaa_9games_past.pdf

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Is there any doubt now? #2 UNI defeats #7 SUI, while Montana struggles again. Even the Montana fans seem to be agreeingxeekx.

Montana is the Ohio State of the FCS, except OSU actually beats up on their weaker opponents.

For those that still don't think Montana has a weak schedule the evidence is mounting up.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/toughest%20schedule/iaa_9games_past.pdf

More like #7 SIU beat #7 SIU, but yeah, my vote would be for UNI if I had one.

TexasTerror
October 14th, 2007, 08:53 AM
What about the folks that had a team other than Montana as #1? I know UNI will not be #1 in my poll as my numero uno had no problems winning this week... :)

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2007, 08:56 AM

They beat themselves? xconfusedx

Please explain. Why were they behind double digits all game? Is it maybe that the UNI defense picked Hill off a couple times, or did he pick himself off?

YoUDeeMan
October 14th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Montana? Look at McNeese's schedule. xeekx

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM

All that link is based on is opponent win-loss record. xcoffeex

Tribe4SF
October 14th, 2007, 09:12 AM
UNI doesn't have to go to #1...I already had them there.xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
October 14th, 2007, 09:17 AM
They make a pretty good case for it.

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I don't care where we sit. If we win out, we stay home. :)

VT Wildcat Fan53
Northern Iowa #1

Houndawg
They beat themselves? xconfusedx

Please explain. Why were they behind double digits all game? Is it maybe that the UNI defense picked Hill off a couple times, or did he pick himself off?

No disrespect to UNI intended, Rob, I was referring to the four turnovers committed by SIU and I'm trying real hard to refrain from mentioning THAT CALL. Like I said above, you guys have my vote. Hell, we were behind NIU by double digits all game too, and YSU early. Game balls to your D-line for stuffing the run against a stud O-line and to Sanders (and Gray) for taking advantage of the short fields he was given, great QBing. Beside the turnovers field position was the big story.

From a partisan Saluki fans viewpoint the game had a lot of pluses for us if such a thing can happen in such a heartbreaking loss. Note that we stuffed the run pretty well ourselves without our starting MLB, 3.1 yds./carry against one of the best in the division.

Obviously Nick Hill is for real and not just tough against weak teams.

Big confidence builder for the rematch coming in the playoffs in that we know we can play with the best and play well enough to beat them.

Pretty good job handling the crowd noise. BTW, I think that was why you saw the players responding to the fans: Montana's crowd beat us last year and we know your fans know that and I think the message was that we've seen loud before.

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2007, 09:42 AM
No disrespect to UNI intended, Rob, I was referring to the four turnovers committed by SIU and I'm trying real hard to refrain from mentioning THAT CALL.

Turnovers are just as much forced as committed, and you just did mention that call. We also got a fumble taken away that they called incomplete, so you weren't the only ones with bad calls.

Pretty good job handling the crowd noise. BTW, I think that was why you saw the players responding to the fans: Montana's crowd beat us last year and we know your fans know that and I think the message was that we've seen loud before.

So when the crowd cheers before the game the opposing team always calls for more noise, points at the logo on their helmet, and pops their jersey to say, "we've seen loud before"? xflaggedx I'll call BS.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM
mcneese is pretty deserving as well!

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Because they beat UL-L? I have them up there, but not sure about #1

01pantherfan
October 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM
It will be interesting for sure to see what TSN says for the poll monday, I guess I was just suprised that the # 1 team in their poll could only muster 173 yards against a 1-4 team, sounds like the D saved their day. As far as UNI vs SIU , SIU played a great game and never gave up I think they will go far in the playoffs, I also think that UNI kinda went into coast in the 4th like the game was over before it was and let a good team almost come back to beat them.

BDKJMU
October 14th, 2007, 09:57 AM

UNI has been #1 for a couple of weeks now.

DaGriz
October 14th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I don't know if we're even a top 5 right now. I don't know how we get moved out of the top 5 or top 10 considering we're undefeated but if we played any of the top 5 or 10 teams right now, especially on the road, I think we'd get smoked. Our O is terrible right now. Our D is bailing us out. We definitely don't deserve #1 at this point.

Hansel
October 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I don't know if we're even a top 5 right now. I don't know how we get moved out of the top 5 or top 10 considering we're undefeated but if we played any of the top 5 or 10 teams right now, especially on the road, I think we'd get smoked. Our O is terrible right now. Our D is bailing us out. We definitely don't deserve #1 at this point.

Fortunately the Griz D outscored Sac yesterday- maybe the Griz should start punting on First down and let the D play all game

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Turnovers are just as much forced as committed, and you just did mention that call. We also got a fumble taken away that they called incomplete, so you weren't the only ones with bad calls.

I'm not saying the call cost us the game, there is no guarantee that we could have kicked a FG to win on the last drive if the call had been right. And your fumble was balanced by the long whistle that allowed the strip later on. No penalty flags for three quarters either, that doesn't hurt.

So when the crowd cheers before the game the opposing team always calls for more noise, points at the logo on their helmet, and pops their jersey to say, "we've seen loud before"? xflaggedx I'll call BS.

If you had seen how their crowd took us out of the game you might not. You know that crowd noise/intimidation must have been a major theme in practice.

Saint3333
October 14th, 2007, 10:09 AM
UNI has been #1 for a couple of weeks now.

In the fan poll sure, but this one is used more by the playoff committee.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 10:15 AM
In the fan poll sure, but this one is used more by the playoff committee.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

UNI is very physical, excellently coached, and have the best QB intangibles in the division. I think AppState's road to a 3peat is going to have either UNI or SIU in it's path.

McNeese_beat
October 14th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I've been voting UNI #1 for about 3 weeks now (in the Sports Network poll). I voted them No. 1 again last night when I did my vote.

It's amazing how stable the top FCS teams have been relative to the bowl subdivision.

Pantherpower
October 14th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I've been voting UNI #1 for about 3 weeks now (in the Sports Network poll). I voted them No. 1 again last night when I did my vote.

It's amazing how stable the top FCS teams have been relative to the bowl subdivision.

Gorgious photo of McNeese's stadium, McNeese_beat. That's one beautiful sunset!

McNeese_beat
October 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Gorgious photo of McNeese's stadium, McNeese_beat. That's one beautiful sunset!

The untold part of the story is that they were in the process of taking a 42-point butt whipping from, of all teams, Southern Utah back in the 04 disaster. That's why there are so many empty seats.

But you're right, you can't beat the sunset...

pantherfan
October 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM

I dunno about that...SIU has a d@mn good squad, but UNI outmanned them most of the game...I'm never a fan of putting the breaks on toward the end to work the clock like that...xcoffeex

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2007, 10:37 AM
If you had seen how their crowd took us out of the game you might not. You know that crowd noise/intimidation must have been a major theme in practice.

I've seen Montana play. On top of that our team has been there multiple times. My uncle is also a season ticket holder. Hearing crowd noise in the past doesn't make you arrogant. Nice try though.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I've seen Montana play. On top of that our team has been there multiple times. My uncle is also a season ticket holder. Hearing crowd noise in the past doesn't make you arrogant. Nice try though.

None of which has anything to do with my point, but thanks for playing. May the gods disappoint your uncle this year.

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2007, 10:51 AM
BTW, I think that was why you saw the players responding to the fans: Montana's crowd beat us last year and we know your fans know that and I think the message was that we've seen loud before.

So what were you saying? xconfusedx

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 11:46 AM
So what were you saying? xconfusedx

Sorry I'm not being clear. And I may be wrong, too.

1) Coach Kill hates bush league behavior and his players are well aware of it.

2) Last year Montana's crowd intimidated a young team in the playoff game.

3) No way we're ever going to win at the Dome if we can't handle crowd noise.

4) I'm sure that UNI fans saw how big a difference fans were in that game.

When I put those together I see a kid trying to say "Ain't skeered" rather than making big smack which he knows Kill will call him on and maybe bench him for. .

McNeese75
October 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM
UNI xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
October 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
UNI #1 (by about six yards).
If NDSU wins next week, they will have a good case.

JayJ79
October 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM
So when the crowd cheers before the game the opposing team always calls for more noise, points at the logo on their helmet, and pops their jersey to say, "we've seen loud before"?

I'm not sure I follow. Are you complaining about SIU actions before the game?

If players do things like that after winning a game or something, I'd agree that it is gloating and poor sportsmanship. But before a game, who cares. If anything, it would just prompt the crowd into being more vocal and amped.

Killsback
October 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM
SIU had one false start, early in the game before the crowd was even a factor, they did not have trouble changing plays at the line. They did not have trouble getting plays into the game like they did at Montana. The UNI crowd was tremendous, but not like Montana's is intimidating.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 02:05 PM
SIU had one false start, early in the game before the crowd was even a factor, they did not have trouble changing plays at the line. They did not have trouble getting plays into the game like they did at Montana. The UNI crowd was tremendous, but not like Montana's is intimidating.

I think that the reason they got plays in and changed them at the line without trouble is at least in part BECAUSE of the Montana game.

Killsback
October 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Exactly..Montana taught the coaching staff a lot.

Reed Rothchild
October 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM
SIU looked more prepared than ever in dealing with the crowd noise. Them losing the game had less to do with the crowd and more to do with UNI intercepting Hill several times and shutting down the run.

Houndawg
October 14th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Exactly..Montana taught the coaching staff a lot.

I hope it taught them to put some serious study into stadium acoustics for the new venue.

FCS Preview
October 14th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I've had NDSU #1 since App State lost.

Chi Panther
October 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM

U're Nutzxrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

skinny_uncle
October 14th, 2007, 07:33 PM
SIU looked more prepared than ever in dealing with the crowd noise. Them losing the game had less to do with the crowd and more to do with UNI intercepting Hill several times and shutting down the run.

There was one INT in the redzone that was impressive. What kind of vertical does that kid have? Did he ever pay basketball?

Chi Panther
October 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM
There was one INT in the redzone that was impressive. What kind of vertical does that kid have? Did he ever pay basketball?

Brannon Carter had the INT in the Red Zone....a RS Senior
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carter_brannon00.html

lizrdgizrd
October 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM
UNI's been #1 since App lost. xcoffeex

NDSUFREAK
October 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM
true that lizrd

bcrawf
October 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Hey, Best of Luck to the Bison next week. Go beat the Gophers and get the 3rd (?) BCS win this year...

lizrdgizrd
October 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
true that lizrd
For a young guy, you sure are wise. xsmiley_wix

RabidRabbit
October 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Hey, Best of Luck to the Bison next week. Go beat the Gophers and get the 3rd (?) BCS win this year...

UNI has the ONLY big 6 (BCS) conference win by an FCS. (IA St.)

NDSU is looking to add that BCS trophy win to their MAC win. (Cent. Mi)

SIU also knocked off a MAC. (No. ILL)

UNH beat Marshall (Conf. USA?)

Nicholls St. beat Rice (Conf. USA?)

McNeese beat UL-L (Sunbelt)

Since 2000 has ANY I-AA/FCS beat 2 FBS/IA in same year?

Has a D-II transitional EVERY BEATEN TWO I-A's before?

NDSU does have a super argument for being #1 IF they win at the HHH Dome.

BTW, the game is sold out (single seats in upper corners might be available) xeekx

And likely to be close to as many Bison fans as Gopher fans.

Best of fortune to our move up mates! Time to have the football wins to match our Basketball successes over the Gophs. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
October 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Vote for NDSU.

xnodx

lizrdgizrd
October 14th, 2007, 08:45 PM
UNI has the ONLY big 6 (BCS) conference win by an FCS. (IA St.)
Guess that win over Michigan wasn't any big deal. xrolleyesx

No_Skill
October 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Vote for NDSU.

xnodx

Why? UNI seems to be able to handle the target on their back pretty well. :D