View Full Version : 2022 Duquesne @ YSU game

Paladin1aa
August 30th, 2022, 03:29 PM
YSU opens the season with the Dukes of Duquesne. The Dukes are picked to be runner up n the NEC. YSU is picked for 9th in the MVFC. Should be ideal game conditions on Saturday.

YSU released their games notes with a few surprises. My preseason prediction on OL starters was perfect but the backups in the 2 deep are a horror story. Pray for no injuries as it’s ugly. Many of the transfers are starting, alternating or in 2 deep. The feel good story is Tomczak snags starting spot as the Slot plus a schollie as he was a walk on and has done nothing but tear up. Appears we will play 2 transfers as our LBs while Ohio St. transfer Hooker is the starter as SS as he has done nothing but impress. We remain problematic with good starters at QB and TB but have a serious drop off behind them.

I look for a YSU win. The early questions will be how much improved is the QB over last year and if the D really is improved under the new DC.

BeamMeUp
August 30th, 2022, 05:52 PM
A bit off topic, but WKBN did a feature tonight on YSU Radio Play-By-Play Voice Bob Hannon who had a major health scare this summer. As you will see and hear in this article, he has lost 38 pounds and his voice is quite weak. However, he does plan to call every YSU game this year. I want to wish Bob Hannon the very best and a speedy recovery. He has been our radio man since the early Tressel days and he does a fantastic job in my eyes. He doesn't beat around the bush in saying when we do things wrong and when we need improvement, which I appreciate.

Wishing you the best Bob Hannon. God Bless
https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/changed-me-for-the-better-leader-of-local-united-way-talks-recent-health-struggles/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitwkbnmain

Paladin1aa
August 30th, 2022, 06:10 PM
I caught the 6:00 news and watched it. Never seen Bob look so bad. He looks near death.

My problem with Bob is he remains a puppet of the AD.. Kissing the AD keeps him as “the voice” of YSU football.

caribbeanhen
August 31st, 2022, 09:30 AM
On one of my trips to Antarctica I saw a killer whale jump up on a ice flow and knock a pod of penguins in the water and then spent the next several minutes throwing them up in the air before he devoured them

crazy stuff

OK now back to the game

ysubigred
August 31st, 2022, 09:35 AM
On one of my trips to Antarctica I saw a killer whale jump up on a ice flow and knock a pod of penguins in the water and then spent the next several minutes throwing them up in the air before he devoured them

crazy stuff

OK now back to the gameYup and we fry chicken everyday..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2022, 09:41 AM

crazy stuff

OK now back to the game

xsmhx I grow more concerned about you as time goes on.

caribbeanhen
August 31st, 2022, 09:52 AM
xsmhx I grow more concerned about you as time goes on.

Yea, I have Flash backs
But that was a true story

The Yo Show
August 31st, 2022, 11:13 AM
YSU opens the season with the Dukes of Duquesne. The Dukes are picked to be runner up n the NEC. YSU is picked for 9th in the MVFC. Should be ideal game conditions on Saturday.

YSU released their games notes with a few surprises. My preseason prediction on OL starters was perfect but the backups in the 2 deep are a horror story. Pray for no injuries as it’s ugly. Many of the transfers are starting, alternating or in 2 deep. The feel good story is Tomczak snags starting spot as the Slot plus a schollie as he was a walk on and has done nothing but tear up. Appears we will play 2 transfers as our LBs while Ohio St. transfer Hooker is the starter as SS as he has done nothing but impress. We remain problematic with good starters at QB and TB but have a serious drop off behind them.

I look for a YSU win. The early questions will be how much improved is the QB over last year and if the D really is improved under the new DC.

I thought Griffin Hoak was still starting? Did he lose his starting role? Maybe I need to see the depth chart :o

Paladin1aa
August 31st, 2022, 12:03 PM
I thought Griffin Hoak was still starting? Did he lose his starting role? Maybe I need to see the depth chart :o

They list Hoak as an either/or starter with D-II transfer Freeman from Charleston. Hoak may have played here last year but isn’t all that. Freeman has been turning heads. The WIU transfer will start at LB as well, but they list him with an either/or with converted former RB Johnson. I think that is for hard work from Johnson but not on actual ability.

Look for a lot of players to see game time vs. Duquesne. The question is do they keep it vanilla on O or open it up and show more ?

Another surprise - Ohio St. transfer Hooker, who will start at SS, is athletically off the charts. He may also return kicks.

skinny_uncle
August 31st, 2022, 04:34 PM
YSU should win this one.

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 11:24 AM
I’ll be posting updates today.

My prediction - YSU 38-17.

BeamMeUp
September 3rd, 2022, 11:31 AM
Obviously expecting a victory, but hoping to see vast improvement on the defensive side of the field. Like some of the depth we added on that side this offseason

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 01:08 PM
No pass rush from YSU. Dukes pass down the field for a TD.

Dukes 7-0

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 01:20 PM
McLaughlin TD run.

7 all

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 01:29 PM
YSU intercepts.

The Yo Show
September 3rd, 2022, 01:58 PM
Rushton has had the last few handoffs... Is jaleel hurt?

The Yo Show
September 3rd, 2022, 02:08 PM
Ok good he can't be just scored

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 02:08 PM
Nope. McLaughlin with spectacular hurdle over defender for 13 yd. TD run.

YSU 14-7

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 02:35 PM
YSU hits a FG to end the half.

YSU 17-7.

Ugly half. YSU needs improvement.

penguinpower
September 3rd, 2022, 02:48 PM
Why are we playing this soft zone 15 yards off of the receivers? Why didn't we run a 2 min offense with 1:30 left in the half? SMH

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 02:57 PM
YSU plays a ton of players the first half, but play overall was sloppy. OL continues poor pass blocking and run blocking is spotty. D played a lot of zone coverage and Dukes threw a lot of underneath patterns. YSU misses a FG. Long way to go for the Guins.

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 04:01 PM
Ugly game. YSU up 24-14. Eight minutes left.

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 04:11 PM
McLaughlin on an outstanding 54 yd TD run. Now 203 yds rushing for Mc.

YSU 31-14

ysubigred
September 3rd, 2022, 04:13 PM
YSU Weak link is Crenshaw..

Strong point YSU LINE BACKERS especially the Kentucky kid [emoji106]

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 04:24 PM
Final YSU 31-14

The Yo Show
September 3rd, 2022, 05:04 PM
Score is much better than the game was. Nice to see them pull away in the 4th quarter though. Not sure if I should be more pessimistic yet or not, it was the first game, and Duquesne had already played a game

ysubigred
September 3rd, 2022, 05:13 PM
Score is much better than the game was. Nice to see them pull away in the 4th quarter though. Not sure if I should be more pessimistic yet or not, it was the first game, and Duquesne had already played a gameDuquesne is actually a nice team. I think they'll win their league.

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 05:56 PM
Duquesne is actually a nice team. I think they'll win their league.

???

Their league is the NEC. Limit of 45 schollies.

Maybe my first overall evaluation of the team is correct ( maybe 4 wins). This today won’t do in the MVFC.

ysubigred
September 3rd, 2022, 06:00 PM
???

Their league is the NEC. Limit of 45 schollies.

Maybe my first overall evaluation of the team is correct ( maybe 4 wins). This today won’t do in the MVFC.Can't dispute much of what you're saying. Really hate the QB situation at YSU. Coaching staff is not to stellar either.

Duquesne is making the most of the 45 schollies.. found them pretty solid but not MVFC solid.

skinny_uncle
September 3rd, 2022, 06:05 PM
Score is much better than the game was. Nice to see them pull away in the 4th quarter though. Not sure if I should be more pessimistic yet or not, it was the first game, and Duquesne had already played a game

I figured you would win.

Paladin1aa
September 3rd, 2022, 06:23 PM
Getting ready to watch Ohio St. A few thoughts -

Crenshaw was never recruited by any major D-Is as a QB. He had a ton of offers to be a RB. He is not accurate on long throws, has bad footwork, takes sacks when he shouldn’t. That’s why they had him throwing short and early last year. He has not improved. His legs may help us but his arm is still a work in progress.

Both lines are not much improved over last year. The DL does not put pressure on the QB and gives up running yds. MVFC will be way tougher than the Dukes. McLaughlin gets many of his yds on his skills not from the OL blocking. Special teams need work. Missed FGs could cost you a game.

Need I say that Dayton is an even weaker team than the Dukes. YSU has to blow them out. Fail to do so I revert to my original preseason outlook - they will struggle to win 4 games. They must show improvement against the Fliers or it’s over early.

BeamMeUp
September 3rd, 2022, 08:29 PM
A few thoughts I wanted to share as it enters half in Columbus...

- After Duquesne marched down the field and scored to start the game (5 play / 75 yard drive), the YSU defense gave up 250 yards and 1 TD the rest of the way. They also forced three interceptions. In total they gave up just 51 yards rushing. BUT their pass defense was soft at best and gave up too many big plays. Also zero sacks and not much pressure is a great concern. There has to be much improvement in our pass defense or Valley teams will pick us apart.

- On offense, we simply have no identity. I am not sure who we are when we come out on the field (rush first or pass first?). The weak OL which gave up 3 sacks is not the reason Jaleel rushed for over 200 yards.. Jaleel made that happen. Very disappointed with that side of the ball. Crenshaw must also do better. 14 of 29 for just 154 is not good.

- Final thoughts... came out to start the game and start of the 2nd half playing very lackluster football with little emotion... that must change. Our special teams did not have a great day either and must improve. We need to make big leaps forward into next week.

Go Guins

ysubigred
September 3rd, 2022, 09:25 PM
I figured you would win.Don't look good for the Dawgs? UIW's D must be much improved..