PDA

View Full Version : NWST's Stoker Pulls Card from Sleeve - Pregame Warmups

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Demons worked out at the Track Complex adjacent to Turpin Stadium this afternoon prior to the game so that the Lions would not have any clue what was going on with the Demons offense that was depleted last weekend when three QBs got hurt.

Demons did not even wear numbers over there, just helmets and t-shirts so no one knew who was doing what...
----------------
Any edge is an edge
Curious to see who will play quarterback today?

The Demons didn't show their hand in pregame warmups. The Demons didn't show, period, for pregame warmups.

At least, they didn't warm up on the field in Turpin Stadium.

Holding his cards very close to the vest, NSU coach Scott Stoker sent his team into the infield of the adjacent Walter Ledet Track Complex for pregame warmups, hoping not to give Southeastern any inkling of what might be about to happen with NSU's offense.

http://thedailydemon.blogspot.com/2007/10/any-edge-is-edge.html

Lionsrking
October 14th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Demons worked out at the Track Complex adjacent to Turpin Stadium this afternoon prior to the game so that the Lions would not have any clue what was going on with the Demons offense that was depleted last weekend when three QBs got hurt.

Demons did not even wear numbers over there, just helmets and t-shirts so no one knew who was doing what...
----------------
Any edge is an edge
Curious to see who will play quarterback today?

The Demons didn't show their hand in pregame warmups. The Demons didn't show, period, for pregame warmups.

At least, they didn't warm up on the field in Turpin Stadium.

Holding his cards very close to the vest, NSU coach Scott Stoker sent his team into the infield of the adjacent Walter Ledet Track Complex for pregame warmups, hoping not to give Southeastern any inkling of what might be about to happen with NSU's offense.

http://thedailydemon.blogspot.com/2007/10/any-edge-is-edge.html

All that stuff didn't matter. We had a pretty good tip during the week that Drew Branch was going to be the starter and heard they weren't going to warmup on the field. That's exactly how it played out.

Our problem was way too many major penalties that kept several of their drives alive and coming up empty on two trips to the red zone. Defense on the field way too long and eventually they wore us down. We also didn't use Jay Lucas nearly enough as it turned out. But credit the Demons for playing well through adversity and taking it from us in the 4th quarter. They're a much better team, especially at home, than the last three weeks have shown.

Seat16Demon
October 14th, 2007, 07:10 AM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror;690937]Demons worked out at the Track Complex adjacent to Turpin Stadium this afternoon prior to the game so that the Lions would not have any clue what was going on with the Demons offense that was depleted last weekend when three QBs got hurt. QUOTE]

I did notice at the game that Adam Fayard (#3 QB) was dressed out. Also we had two true freshmen dressed out, one of which I had never seen before.

FormerPokeCenter
October 14th, 2007, 07:57 AM
<<Our problem was way too many major penalties that kept several of their drives alive and coming up empty on two trips to the red zone. Defense on the field way too long and eventually they wore us down. We also didn't use Jay Lucas nearly enough as it turned out. But credit the Demons for playing well through adversity and taking it from us in the 4th quarter>>

You guys did have problems with penalties, but I thought the refs were pretty egalitarian with their flag throwing. You guys got flagged 12 times for 98 yards, while Northwestern got flagged 9 times for 65 yards. The one time that I thought was very fortuitous, was on the last Northwestern drive, where they were running out the clock. Your safety, number 5, I believe, made a stupid play on the sidelines on a 3rd down, after the back was obviously out of bounds without getting the first. It cost you 15 yards and, more importantly, gave the Demons a first down with two minutes to go. From there, it was academic. You guys had some issues on Northwestern's second drive, but it's not like they weren't moving the ball well enough on their own up to that point.

You guys are young and I think that youth gave Northwestern a noticeable edge in physicality of play. Babin knows how to put the ball where he wants to, but he's not exactly mobile.

I thought Northwestern eased up, both in intensity and on play calling in the second quarter, and let you guys back in the game. They had some penalty issues in the 2nd that you guys exploited pretty well, including the a double penalty near the goal that gave you guys two "half the distance to the goal line penalties" on the same play. The Demon punter had to kick from the back line of the endzone and you guys got GREAT field position. To me, there was a noticeable difference in intensity in the second quarter from the Demons, which you exploited to make a game out of it.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071014/SPORTS02/710140334/1001/SPORTS

Lionsrking
October 14th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Intensity ebbs and flows in football games as you know and I think both teams exploited it to their advantage. Northwestern came out like it was the Super Bowl and we didn't match their intensity early. We picked it up once we fell behind and we're able to take the lead before half. We sorta pinballed back and forth in the second half but they seized control in the 4th quarter. When you only run 48 offensive plays, it's no secret the defense will wear down late. We are young up front but we're also banged up and credit the Demons for sticking to the running game and being physical. I thought we didn't establish the run enough and Jay Lucas has to get more than 14 total touches of the football. All that said, we still had a field goal blocked, had an offensive pass interference call that killed a drive, dropped a wide open ball that would have been a TD, and shot ourselves in the foot in the redzone on our last drive and came away with no points. We had our chances but didn't get it done. That's the fine line between winning or losing the close ones.

Also found it funny that Scott Stoker said, "we (Northwestern St.) held Jay Lucas to under 100 yards." I think he meant to say we (Southeastern) held him to under 100 yards.

<<Our problem was way too many major penalties that kept several of their drives alive and coming up empty on two trips to the red zone. Defense on the field way too long and eventually they wore us down. We also didn't use Jay Lucas nearly enough as it turned out. But credit the Demons for playing well through adversity and taking it from us in the 4th quarter>>

You guys did have problems with penalties, but I thought the refs were pretty egalitarian with their flag throwing. You guys got flagged 12 times for 98 yards, while Northwestern got flagged 9 times for 65 yards. The one time that I thought was very fortuitous, was on the last Northwestern drive, where they were running out the clock. Your safety, number 5, I believe, made a stupid play on the sidelines on a 3rd down, after the back was obviously out of bounds without getting the first. It cost you 15 yards and, more importantly, gave the Demons a first down with two minutes to go. From there, it was academic. You guys had some issues on Northwestern's second drive, but it's not like they weren't moving the ball well enough on their own up to that point.

You guys are young and I think that youth gave Northwestern a noticeable edge in physicality of play. Babin knows how to put the ball where he wants to, but he's not exactly mobile.

I thought Northwestern eased up, both in intensity and on play calling in the second quarter, and let you guys back in the game. They had some penalty issues in the 2nd that you guys exploited pretty well, including the a double penalty near the goal that gave you guys two "half the distance to the goal line penalties" on the same play. The Demon punter had to kick from the back line of the endzone and you guys got GREAT field position. To me, there was a noticeable difference in intensity in the second quarter from the Demons, which you exploited to make a game out of it.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071014/SPORTS02/710140334/1001/SPORTS

FormerPokeCenter
October 14th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Intensity ebbs and flows in football games as you know and I think both teams exploited it to their advantage. Northwestern came out like it was the Super Bowl and we didn't match their intensity early. We picked it up once we fell behind and we're able to take the lead before half. We sorta pinballed back and forth in the second half but they seized control in the 4th quarter. When you only run 48 offensive plays, it's no secret the defense will wear down late. We are young up front but we're also banged up and credit the Demons for sticking to the running game and being physical. I thought we didn't establish the run enough and Jay Lucas has to get more than 14 total touches of the football. All that said, we still had a field goal blocked, had an offensive pass interference call that killed a drive, dropped a wide open ball that would have been a TD, and shot ourselves in the foot in the redzone on our last drive and came away with no points. We had our chances but didn't get it done. That's the fine line between winning or losing the close ones.

Also found it funny that Scott Stoker said, "we (Northwestern St.) held Jay Lucas to under 100 yards." I think he meant to say we (Southeastern) held him to under 100 yards.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I saw this one as being artificially close, but only because Northwestern had a chance to step on your neck in the 2nd Quarter and didn't follow through.

I was impressed at how many young players you guys use, particularly on defense. You only have 2 seniors. I think that you'll be very salty on D in about two years...maybe even next year...

Dallas Demon
October 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM
At any rate, it was a good and exciting game on a near perfect day for college football. I was happy to see the Demons seemingly wear out the Lions in the 4th and pretty much run at will. Yes, the Lions missed a few opportunities but the Demons also purposely ran out the clock in or near the red zone at the end of the game that could have resulted in another TD. I have to agree with FRMR, I'm not sure why we didn't continue to attack in the 2nd quarter.

I thought our QB (the only one left standing from last week, and he couldn't move from side-to-side) did an outstanding job considering the circumstances.

FormerPokeCenter
October 14th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I couldn't figure that out, either....I think SLU got pretty good pressure on Branch in the 2nd Quarter. You guys don't appear to have been doing anything different with regard to play calling. You ran Lawrence and tried to throw to the same guys who got you that second score....You had three 3 and outs, one to start the second quarter and one after your long drive....The long drive got helped along by penalties, but you got no points out of it....

In the third, I don't really know what SLU could have done differently. They only got the ball twice..., One was a drive of about 6 or 7 plays, with Lucas touching the ball four times and only getting 10 yards, two two-yard runs, a six yard run and a no-gainer....The other was a 3 and out drive.

I hear them bitching about not running Lucas more, but they moved down the field via the pass much more effectively than they did running the ball, though Lucas did have the long TD run...in the second quarter.

I honestly think Northwestern expected them to fold after getting up 14-0 so easily, and kinda let up...

Dallas Demon
October 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM
We stopped throwing the ball downfield in the 2nd quarter. I distinctly remembering on a 3rd down situation we threw to the sideline vs. to the open receiver running a slant that would have easily given us a first down. I think we went conservative and were afraid to continue our gameplan given our QB situation.

Lionsrking
October 15th, 2007, 11:57 PM
We're going to have to agree to disagree. I saw this one as being artificially close, but only because Northwestern had a chance to step on your neck in the 2nd Quarter and didn't follow through.

I was impressed at how many young players you guys use, particularly on defense. You only have 2 seniors. I think that you'll be very salty on D in about two years...maybe even next year...

Yep, we'll agree to disagree.

FormerPokeCenter
October 16th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Yep, we'll agree to disagree.

I see nothing in the factual record to suggest that you guys were in this game but any other reason than Northwestern's intensity clearly dropped off in the second quarter...Considering how fired up they were when they came out, a drop off was not unexpected.

You had your most productive offensive quarter in the second, and - coincidentally - Northwestern had their worst. Oddly, though, Northwestern had nearly a two-to-one time of possession advantage in the second quarter. This just shows that you guys were more efficient in the second than you were at any other time during the game. You only the ball for 5 minutes and 22 seconds, but managed to get 17 points during that brief time.

Of course, the really odd part about that is that early in the quarter, you guys came very, very close to being sacked in the endzone for a safety, but managed to get out of harm's way...subtracting the time of possession on that drive, you scored all 17 of your first half points in three drives that totalled 3:39, covering 2 plays, 4 plays and 5 plays. 31 seconds, 2:02 and 1:06...It was your best passing quarter.

Coincidentally, Northwestern got 4 of their 9 flags in the 2nd quarter.

Anyway you add that up, it shows that there was a lapse in concentration in the second quarter on Northwestern's part. No offensive output, they gave up big plays and they got penalized.

To me, what puts it in perspective is that nearly all of Northwestern's scores came on sustained drives and they shut you guys down in three of the four quarters.

Your passing stats in the second quarter were the best they were all game. In the third, Lucas only averaged 2.5 yards everytime he touched the ball. I'd say that's a pretty dispositive reason for trying to pass.

All in all, I think any reasonable and objective evaluation of the facts leads to but one conclusion. Now, having said that, and having had discussions with you in the past, I understand that the facts aren't going to dissuade you from your position.

This is just more of that agreeing to disagree thing....

Lionsrking
October 16th, 2007, 03:19 AM
I see nothing in the factual record to suggest that you guys were in this game but any other reason than Northwestern's intensity clearly dropped off in the second quarter...Considering how fired up they were when they came out, a drop off was not unexpected.

You had your most productive offensive quarter in the second, and - coincidentally - Northwestern had their worst. Oddly, though, Northwestern had nearly a two-to-one time of possession advantage in the second quarter. This just shows that you guys were more efficient in the second than you were at any other time during the game. You only the ball for 5 minutes and 22 seconds, but managed to get 17 points during that brief time.

Of course, the really odd part about that is that early in the quarter, you guys came very, very close to being sacked in the endzone for a safety, but managed to get out of harm's way...subtracting the time of possession on that drive, you scored all 17 of your first half points in three drives that totalled 3:39, covering 2 plays, 4 plays and 5 plays. 31 seconds, 2:02 and 1:06...It was your best passing quarter.

Anyway you add that up, it shows that there was a lapse in concentration in the second quarter on Northwestern's part. No offensive output, they gave up big plays and they got penalized.

To me, what puts it in perspective is that nearly all of Northwestern's scores came on sustained drives and they shut you guys down in three of the four quarters.

Your passing stats in the second quarter were the best they were all game. In the third, Lucas only averaged 2.5 yards everytime he touched the ball. I'd say that's a pretty dispositive reason for trying to pass.

All in all, I think any reasonable and objective evaluation of the facts leads to but one conclusion. Now, having said that, and having had discussions with you in the past, I understand that the facts aren't going to dissuade you from your position.

Again, we agree to disagree.

FormerPokeCenter
October 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Again, we agree to disagree.

LOL, this is America xpeacex , you're free to disagree with the facts to your heart's content...

Dallas Demon
October 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Man, just think, if you had had that beer with us as planned you wouldn't have been able to remember all these facts. On second thought, it might have been interesting to see your post after a few beers too. :p

FormerPokeCenter
October 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Man, just think, if you had had that beer with us as planned you wouldn't have been able to remember all these facts. On second thought, it might have been interesting to see your post after a few beers too. :p

LOL, that could have been fun.....I doubt I would have been invited back, though ;)

The great thing about doing college games is that I don't have to remember anything, the NCAA makes the home team give out quickie stats every quarter ;)

Dallas Demon
October 16th, 2007, 11:34 PM
LOL, that could have been fun.....I doubt I would have been invited back, though ;)

Nah, you would have been no worse than us. xthumbsupx

The great thing about doing college games is that I don't have to remember anything, the NCAA makes the home team give out quickie stats every quarter ;)

I know, been up there myself, plus the game statistics help. The "from memory" tactic sounded much more impressive however. xcoolx