View Full Version : AGS Game of the Week - Week 1, Fall 2022

Preferred Walk-On
August 28th, 2022, 02:10 PM
Week 0 is in the books, week 1 is finally here, and it is time to get GOTW started. Lots of FCS v. FBS matchups; however, the selected FCS v. FCS slate is below, and it appears that like me, the FCS has decided to ease into the season (AGS preseason rankings and conferences denoted). Also, poll is always a minute or so behind to post, so please be patient. ;)

McNeese (Southland) @ #4 Montana State (Big Sky) - First look at National Championship runners-up.

#7 Kennesaw State (ASUN) @ Samford (SoCon) - The Owls take their first step towards Frisco?

#8 Missouri State (MVFC) @ #30 Central Arkansas (ASUN) - Beginning to think this is a protected matchup.

#9 Southern Illinois (MVFC) @ #14 Incarnate Word (Southland) - Only matchup where both teams are in the AGS Top 15.

#12 Stephen F. Austin (WAC) @ Alcorn State (SWAC) - Rebound week for the Lumberjacks or beginning of the reclamation of the SWAC for the Braves?

Wofford (SoCon) @ #15 Chattanooga (SoCon) - Matchup of predicted last and first in SoCon…will it end up that way?

#19 Holy Cross (Patriot) @ Merrimack (NEC) - Revenge game?

#37 Florida A&M (SWAC) @ #23 Jackson State (SWAC) - Top SWAC East teams entering the game under interesting circumstances.

Duquesne (NEC) @ Youngstown State (MVFC) - Will the NEC show us something?

MR. CHICKEN
August 28th, 2022, 04:26 PM
...NO CAA'S..??......IFIN' CHATTY/WOFFY IS UH CANDIDATE...THEN....MAYBE....RHODEY/STONY....O'....... MONMOUTH/N.HAMPSHIRE.....AWK!

Preferred Walk-On
August 28th, 2022, 07:18 PM
...NO CAA'S..??......IFIN' CHATTY/WOFFY IS UH CANDIDATE...THEN....MAYBE....RHODEY/STONY....O'....... MONMOUTH/N.HAMPSHIRE.....AWK!

While I don't disagree with this entirely, and I originally had both games you mentioned on the list for consideration, I felt that Wofford @ Chattanooga was a bit more deserving to be on the list of 9 games (with an "Other" for the 10th choice).

AGS has ranked Chattanooga @ #15. The highest ranked team from any of the matchups you mentioned is Rhode Island @ #25, and Monmouth at #40 (with 10 pt), which might as well be the equivalent of Wofford. Also, the Rams and Hawks don't play each other. I am more interested to see what the Mocs look like at this point than the Rams, Hawks, Seawolves, or Wildcats. That could change in later weeks, but not now (week 1). The intrigue factor for the SoCon does it for me (again, in week 1).

If either game you mentioned were on the list, would it have been your pick, and would it have been for any other reason than they are CAA games? If you had made the argument for either of the games you mentioned to replace the completely non-ranked NEC v. MVFC game, I think it would hold more water. The reason for that non-ranked game is the whole argument of "My league's top team is better than a lower tier MVFC team"...thus increasing the intrigue factor over either CAA game you mentioned. Of course, that is my opinion and reasoning. Thanks for you interest, and I look forward to putting some CAA games on this list in the near future.

MR. CHICKEN
August 28th, 2022, 08:35 PM
WHATEVER......xsighx....AWK!

Preferred Walk-On
August 28th, 2022, 08:38 PM
Sorry. Thought you were looking for some reasoning. No worries. It is all opinion anyway, right? Whatever, indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

penguinpower
August 30th, 2022, 11:31 AM
I happen to think the Youngstown State vs Duquesne game is going to be very good and expect it to be close. Duquesne struggled with Florida State in big plays but they were disruptive at many points in the game. This one is going to be interesting in my opinion. Duquesne is not longer the pushover they were years ago. Definitely a program on the rise.

katss07
August 30th, 2022, 11:35 AM
Easy. The Dawgs and The Word, should be a fun one in San Antonio.

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2022, 06:47 AM

Yep, the Monmouth at New Hampshire game is the one I’ll be paying the most attention to. It’s a good FCS litmus test to see how Monmouth fairs in the CAA .... just not about the rankings