PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Refs

Saint3333
October 13th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Does anyone else agree that they are bad? I'm watching the GSU/Elon game and they have made incorrect calls multiple times (knees down, missed holding calls, pass interference, etc). The announcers seem to agree.

Death Dealer
October 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Does anyone else agree that they are bad? I'm watching the GSU/Elon game and they have made incorrect calls multiple times (knees down, missed holding calls, pass interference, etc). The announcers seem to agree.
Not as bad as ACC, but still pretty bad.xnodx

SeattleGriz
October 13th, 2007, 05:48 PM

I think the FCS refs in general are, well...weak. They are in training to move up the ladder at a later date, and if they don't move up, it is for a reason.

phillyAPP
October 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM

They should be ashamed of themselves after every week.

Someday they might get evaluated and do better.

Baldy
October 13th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Understatement of the year. No doubt they were the deciding factor in that game today.

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Understatement of the year. No doubt they were the deciding factor in that game today.

You guys lost, deal with it. Elon gave that game to you on a silver platter with the turnovers and you couldn't pull through. Take the loss and beat App next week.

I listened/watched (TV & radio) to most of the game and the bad calls went both ways.

Maybe this was a make up for that phantom roughing the passer call a few years ago at Elon's homecoming......you remember that one? That was THE worst call I've ever seen.

If you want to blame someone for losing, blame the kicker.

By the way, what's your address. I'll send you a box of tissues.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Maybe this was a make up for that phantom roughing the passer call a few years ago at Elon's homecoming......you remember that one? That was THE worst call I've ever seen.

Worse than a "down by contact while standing" call that y'all got when we stripped the ball on the 1yd. No whistle blown, ball stripped, but suddenly he's down after he loses possession?? explain that one.

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Worse than a "down by contact while standing" call that y'all got when we stripped the ball on the 1yd. No whistle blown, ball stripped, but suddenly he's down after he loses possession?? explain that one.

.....or how about the 45 yard reception by Bo Williamson that an out of position ref ruled incomplete in the 3rd quarter. Or all the holdings calls GSU got away with........Yup, the SoCon refs were bad on both ends of the ball. But keep making excuses as your team and fans cry all the way back to Statesboro.

Both teams did play horrid, sloppy ball today.

Once again, if you want to blame someone for the loss, blame your kicker.....or better yet, blame your guy (#2) that lined up off sides to give us a 2nd chance at an OT field goal.

Better yet, you should thank Elon for that bad squib kick at the end of the 1st half that lead to a field goal. If it weren't for that, the game would've been over at the end of regulation.

And by they way, the play you're talking about.......Riddle's forward progress was stopped. Hence the play was dead. That's a rule of the game. Cry Cry Cry!!!!xbawlingx

Baldy
October 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM
You guys lost, deal with it. Elon gave that game to you on a silver platter with the turnovers and you couldn't pull through. Take the loss and beat App next week.

I listened/watched (TV & radio) to most of the game and the bad calls went both ways.

xlolx

With that little emotional rant, you might need to keep those tissues next to your crib.

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM
xlolx

With that little emotional rant, you might need to keep those tissues next to your crib.

HAH! xlolx xsmiley_wix

Baldy
October 13th, 2007, 08:19 PM
.....or how about the 45 yard reception by Bo Williamson that an out of position ref ruled incomplete in the 3rd quarter. Or all the holdings calls GSU got away with........Yup, the SoCon refs were bad on both ends of the ball. But keep making excuses as your team and fans cry all the way back to Statesboro.

Once again, if you want to blame someone for the loss, blame your kicker.....or better yet, blame your guy (#2) that lined up off sides to give us a 2nd chance at an OT field goal.

Better yet, you should thank Elon for that bad squib kick at the end of the 1st half that lead to a field goal. If it weren't for that, the game would've been over at the end of regulation.
1. Clearly an incomplete pass, well according to Mr. Replay it was.

2. Funny, it was the GSU D who had to keep putting their jerseys back on after every down.

3. Again, according to Mr. Replay, he was well behind the LOS on that kick attempt.

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 08:22 PM

2. Funny, it was the GSU D who had to keep putting their jerseys back on after every down.

3. Again, according to Mr. Replay, he was well behind the LOS on that kick attempt.

Funny, According to Mr. Replay, Elon won the game.

In all sincereity, Coach Hatcher will bring GSU back. Some of your players have seen 3 coaches in as many years. The worst thing your administration did was fire Sewak. But Hatch has them back on track.

blukeys
October 13th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Everyone in the SoCon should quit complaining. The worst Refs belong to the MEAC Year in Year out. The best reason for playing a MEAC team in the playoffs is you don't get their refs. (Ask Lafayette 2004!)

gophoenix
October 13th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Ok, then let's discuss this. I was at the game, these were the ones in front of me.

-1 no-call roughing the passer on a hit by an elon defender against foster
-2 running into the punter plays that weren't called on GSU against us
-GSU fumble recovered by Elon given to GSU.
-Incomplete pass called against Bo Williamson on a pass that was caught, the ref didn't have the angle to make that call.
-Fumble by Elon that may have been recovered except the refs ruled down by forward progress
-Offsides called on GSU on a play where a player went for Hudgins across the neutral zone, should have been a personal foul
-Holding by GSU all night to open up those holes.
-Then holding starts being called at the end of the game (w

I can go on if you want me to.

And does the SoCon even employ refs? I thought the SoCon hired refs that were free in a region....

And if you people think SoCon refs are bad, you apparently have never been to a MEAC game.

And to be honest, if you GSU fans are going to start claiming the refs decided this game, I would like to ask you to remember 2001 on a false roughing the passer call. You guys all claim it was and lambasted Elon fans for whining about that. So, Pot meet Kettle.

The deciding factor today were the offenses being pretty darn crappy all around. And the defenses making good stands when it was needed for the most part. The GSU offensive line was very good.

WUTNDITWAA
October 13th, 2007, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;690707]

And if you people think SoCon refs are bad, you apparently have never been to a MEAC game.

[QUOTE]

It's hard to aruge that one.xnodx

citdog
October 13th, 2007, 08:59 PM
i have been going to ballgames at General Johnson Hagood, CSA, Stadium for 32 years. I played on that field for 4 seasons. Today was by FAR the worst officated game I have ever seen. the final score should have been "Dogs 38 "Dins 21 in regulation. The zebras were terrible and kept the verminites in the game.

terrierbob
October 13th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Are FCS refs paid less?

Cleets
October 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM
All I can say is "Amazing" in a bad way...

if I was a coach or Athletic Director from any other FCS conference I wouldn't touch the Southern Conference with Citdogs D!ck...

I wouldn't play in the SoCon for any amount of money or for any reason after what I saw today..!!!!

Terrible (absolutely inexcusably bad)

CID1990
October 13th, 2007, 09:36 PM
That was definitely some bad officiating at General Johnson Hagood, CSA today. It was just GOTT DAMM AWFUL.

CID1990
October 13th, 2007, 09:37 PM
All I can say is "Amazing" in a bad way...

if I was a coach or Athletic Director from any other FCS conference I wouldn't touch the Southern Conference with Citdogs D!ck...

I wouldn't play in the SoCon for any amount of money or for any reason after what I saw today..!!!!

Terrible (absolutely inexcusably bad)

You were at El Cid - Furple today I think? It's good that somebody other than the partisans saw that crap.

jsualum97
October 13th, 2007, 09:51 PM
There is a great way to cure the bad officiating!! Everyone on here is pointing out the ref's mistakes should start officiating. It is obvious that everyone on here is much better than the ones that are out there.

Cleets
October 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM
You were at El Cid - Furple today I think? It's good that somebody other than the partisans saw that crap.

I was stunned speechless about 5 times during the game it was so bad... xeekx
I won't comment further because it's a dead horse, but wow..!!!

lizrdgizrd
October 13th, 2007, 10:02 PM
This just in: SoCon officiating sucks, surface of sun hot, Travis prefers asians.

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Travis prefers asians.

What the F does that mean????? You know, you need to cut crap like that out.

lizrdgizrd
October 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM
What the F does that mean????? You know, you need to cut crap like that out.
xconfusedx

CID1990
October 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I was stunned speechless about 5 times during the game it was so bad... xeekx
I won't comment further because it's a dead horse, but wow..!!!

I'm glad we won, so that I can talk crap about the refs. It's bad form to do it after a loss, unless you live in Statesboro, GA.

ElonPride
October 13th, 2007, 10:22 PM
xconfusedx

Got your PM, nevermind.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2007, 11:17 PM

And by they way, the play you're talking about.......Riddle's forward progress was stopped. Hence the play was dead. That's a rule of the game. Cry Cry Cry!!!!xbawlingx

I won't blame the kicker because if the offense would have scored more points in regulation, we would not have needed him to bail us out in OT. Blaming a kicker for a loss in a situation like this is like blaming your goalie for a loss in a shootout in soccer.

I think the biggest blunder by the refs was them calling pass interference on us on that one play but not calling it on you for that one third down pass in second OT.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2007, 11:19 PM

As if we didn't do it with all the penalties (including the questionable "lineman in the neutral zone" call on the first OT field goal).

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 13th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I think the FCS refs in general are, well...weak. They are in training to move up the ladder at a later date, and if they don't move up, it is for a reason.

I would trade with The Big South. I didn't notice any problems with the Coastal game.

Eyes of Old Main
October 13th, 2007, 11:55 PM
SoCon refs have always been bad. Football and basketball. Too many instances to name.

I've only seen one game this year in person, but the play where Wofford's guy knocked the Furman receiver out of the back of the endzone should have been a TD. Any one there should have known that. It didn't matter in the outcome, but it was a great catch that should have been rewarded.

I've also noticed they are particularly bad on calling, or not calling fumbles. I know things happen fast, but seeing whether the ball came out as a result of contact with the ground or a defensive player is pretty fundamental.

ElonPride
October 14th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I won't blame the kicker because if the offense would have scored more points in regulation, we would not have needed him to bail us out in OT. Blaming a kicker for a loss in a situation like this is like blaming your goalie for a loss in a shootout in soccer.

I think the biggest blunder by the refs was them calling pass interference on us on that one play but not calling it on you for that one third down pass in second OT.xnonono2x

You're STILL crying about calls? Calls were bad both ways (still blind to that i guess), and lil' ole Elon won.

You guys got a gift in 2001, we got a win on '07. Take it like men and blame no one but yourselves.

Elon 36
GSU 33

Wanna cry just a little more? Seriously, the box of tissues I sent to GSU fans wasn't enough? Do you need more? Cuz I stocked up over the past few years of terrible Elon teams and I have some to spare........xsmiley_wix

gophoenix
October 14th, 2007, 12:22 AM
SoCon refs have always been bad. Football and basketball. Too many instances to name.

I've only seen one game this year in person, but the play where Wofford's guy knocked the Furman receiver out of the back of the endzone should have been a TD. Any one there should have known that. It didn't matter in the outcome, but it was a great catch that should have been rewarded.

I've also noticed they are particularly bad on calling, or not calling fumbles. I know things happen fast, but seeing whether the ball came out as a result of contact with the ground or a defensive player is pretty fundamental.

I am still not 100% sure that the SoCon employs a referee corp. I know they DON'T for basketball. We have management who regulates who we contract for games, but outside of that the Big South, SoCon, ACC, CAA, A-SUN, SAC, Peach Belt, CVAC and so on all share refs in the area. The better refs get first choice of the better jobs. Like the best refs this week would have been doing the Wake/FSU and UNC/USC game.

I could be wrong, but we hire the best available at the time for the game. The refs on the field have no SoCon patches on. The NCAA certifies the refs. All of us conferences hire them on a need basis for each game.

Maybe the answer is that we need to have our own corp of refs rather than refs who can referee nearly any and every game. But then again, that could backfire and we could end up with a corp of MEAC refs.

And I stand by my statement.... as much as everyone wants to complain about the refs at SoCon games this year, MEAC refs are 500% worse.

gophoenix
October 14th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I think the biggest blunder by the refs was them calling pass interference on us on that one play but not calling it on you for that one third down pass in second OT.

Oh, you mean it is wrong to call pass interference on a def player making a play on the off player and not the ball, while not looking at the ball?

While it should be pass interference on a def player who jumped in front of a off player to bat a ball away, actually jumping up as high as he did to do it???

What NCAA rule book are you reading?

furpal87
October 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Every one knows you have to be a bad ref in the SoCon to get your real proving ground: The ACC!! That's the worst officiating ever!!!!!

Seven Would Be Nice
October 14th, 2007, 02:35 AM
There is a great way to cure the bad officiating!! Everyone on here is pointing out the ref's mistakes should start officiating. It is obvious that everyone on here is much better than the ones that are out there.

They get paid for their job, so they can receive criticism about how well they do at their job just like any of us get criticized at our jobs. They are supposed to be "professional refs" they should start calling games like it.

gvilleapp
October 14th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Afraid you are mistaken about this. The SoCon, like every other conference, has it's own roster of officials and a commisioner who assigns crews to games usually before the season starts. For the SoCon, the commisoner of football officials is Don Powers. He also is the commisioner of officals for the Sunbelt.

I do know that an observer breaksdown each game tape and officials review their previous week's game along with the comments of an observer and the league's football staff. Other than removing poor performing officials at the end of the year, I don't really have an answer how you make this better unless you start to impliment replays.

College football is much more fast paced than before. The only way I know of to get more calls right is to impliment replay like the FBS, but I don't think our schools want to spend that kind of money at this point.
I am still not 100% sure that the SoCon employs a referee corp. I know they DON'T for basketball. We have management who regulates who we contract for games, but outside of that the Big South, SoCon, ACC, CAA, A-SUN, SAC, Peach Belt, CVAC and so on all share refs in the area. The better refs get first choice of the better jobs. Like the best refs this week would have been doing the Wake/FSU and UNC/USC game.

I could be wrong, but we hire the best available at the time for the game. The refs on the field have no SoCon patches on. The NCAA certifies the refs. All of us conferences hire them on a need basis for each game.

Maybe the answer is that we need to have our own corp of refs rather than refs who can referee nearly any and every game. But then again, that could backfire and we could end up with a corp of MEAC refs.

And I stand by my statement.... as much as everyone wants to complain about the refs at SoCon games this year, MEAC refs are 500% worse.

AppMan
October 14th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I would trade with The Big South. I didn't notice any problems with the Coastal game.

The Big South is the ACC's developmental league. The primary problem with the SoCon is it doesn't pay very well. Best officiating in KBS is during the playoffs, except when the afore mentioned MEAC officials come to town.

gophoenix
October 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Afraid you are mistaken about this. The SoCon, like every other conference, has it's own roster of officials and a commisioner who assigns crews to games usually before the season starts. For the SoCon, the commisoner of football officials is Don Powers. He also is the commisioner of officals for the Sunbelt.

I do know that an observer breaksdown each game tape and officials review their previous week's game along with the comments of an observer and the league's football staff. Other than removing poor performing officials at the end of the year, I don't really have an answer how you make this better unless you start to impliment replays.

College football is much more fast paced than before. The only way I know of to get more calls right is to impliment replay like the FBS, but I don't think our schools want to spend that kind of money at this point.

I don't think we actually employ them though, we contract them. Whether it is before the season or not all the refs in the area get contracted for games, whether it is ACC, Pioneer, SAC, CUSA, Big South or SoCon. The better refs get employed at the better games, ie ACC and CUSA which is also better pay. While the rest get to contract with the best that is left. There are some on a list that won't be contracted with anymore. I am pretty sure this how it works. I have emailed the SoCon to make sure.

eaglesrthe1
October 14th, 2007, 09:45 AM
How about at least start with some minimum fitness standards? I swear that one of them looked like he was trying to smuggle a medicine ball out of the stadium. It's a joke to think that he could keep up with the game.

appfan2008
October 14th, 2007, 09:45 AM
basically we can all agree that each of us could do a better job... right?

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
There are two things I've learned in life and football.

1) the sun always rises in the east

2) Every GSU loss is the direct result the worst officiating of all time.

ElonPride
October 14th, 2007, 10:03 AM
How about at least start with some minimum fitness standards? I swear that one of them looked like he was trying to smuggle a medicine ball out of the stadium. It's a joke to think that he could keep up with the game.

Now that's funny!!!!xlolx

eaglesrthe1
October 14th, 2007, 10:37 AM
There are two things I've learned in life and football.

1) the sun always rises in the east

2) Every GSU loss is the direct result the worst officiating of all time.

In every close game officiating is going to be scruitinized. The SoCon in general seems to have a disproportionate share of horrible referees.

If you were to poll GSU fans for the worst officiated game that they have ever seen, then the 99 GSU-FU game would be out in front, hands down. A game that GSU won, BTW. I still remember a FU fan calling the after game radio show on his way out of town saying... "You gentlemen played a whale of a contest. The adjudication officials almost bushwacked you out of your just congratulatory toasts, however. Best of luck in your future endeavors and Godspeed."

I do wish that the Eagle fans would quit whining about it though. Like it's going to change anything.xsmhx

phillyAPP
October 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Thank you for an educated answer BUT it still stinks and effect way too many games accross the southern conference.

I will pray,live through it, and cheer for the APPS.

phillyAPP
October 14th, 2007, 03:10 PM

I saw that ball !!!!!!!!! My wife laughed so loud and said " He is a ref ???"

PaladinFan
October 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I do think that sometimes the SoCon referees just can't seem to get out of their own way and let the kids play football.

Believe me, the Eagles are not the only ones that seem to get screwed. All of the bad calls that I can immediately recollect, however, all seem to have come against Appalachian State.

A no call on a pass interference in the endzone during the 2003 Furman/App game in Greenville enraged my fraternity brother to the point where he hopped up on the brick wall that lines the stands and followed the linejudge all the way down the field, screaming at him the entire time. When Furman got the ball back he continued to yell at him all the way back down to his seat.

It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a football game and completely indicative of all fans general malaise towards SoCon regs.

fuEMO
October 14th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Furman lost to Citadel because of missed special teams opportunities. One out of four field goals an a missed extra point.

If you think the Furman should have only scored 21 points you didn't see the same game I did. As well as Lawson and Cooper played, you had no answer for Sprague. And by the way who got the no call in OT on tripping Sprague twice on the same play? The same team that also layed out Thomas Slaughter right in front of the Citadel bech allowing a punt return to set up a score.

Furman fans have every right to be as unhappy as Dog fans with the games officiating.

Millwoch
October 14th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Furman lost to Citadel because of missed special teams opportunities. One out of four field goals an a missed extra point.

If you think the Furman should have only scored 21 points you didn't see the same game I did. As well as Lawson and Cooper played, you had no answer for Sprague. And by the way who got the no call in OT on tripping Sprague twice on the same play? The same team that also layed out Thomas Slaughter right in front of the Citadel bech allowing a punt return to set up a score.

Furman fans have every right to be as unhappy as Dog fans with the games officiating.

You are right Fuemo...it was a huge block in the back only 5 feet from the ref on that return. I'm not exactly sure why he did not call it, but I would guess make up for the only backward pass I have even seen called incomplete. Everyone around me on the home side said we got away with that one. I do not believe the tripping on Sprague was a penalty, he just lost his footing...but could have gone either way...Definately a sign the refs lost control of the game and therefore poorly called.

citdog
October 14th, 2007, 09:33 PM

you ****ing furple pissant son of a bitches lost to a better ****ing team. i hope you don't like it, but i suggest you get ****ing used to it!

phillyAPP
October 15th, 2007, 08:01 AM
you ****ing furple pissant son of a bitches lost to a better ****ing team. i hope you don't like it, but i suggest you get ****ing used to it!

I don't understand CitDog. Can you be more clear about your statement?

See ya Nov. 3 xlolx xlolx xlolx

blueballs
October 15th, 2007, 08:26 AM
For all of you who are so quick to call the GSU faithful crybabies for griping about the quality of officiating; watch this video of the two most important calls from Saturday, the take away at the goal line and the offsides call on the missed FG, and then tell me they don't have a legitimate gripe.

http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=542&Itemid=40

Eaglesrus
October 15th, 2007, 09:43 AM
For all of you who are so quick to call the GSU faithful crybabies for griping about the quality of officiating; watch this video of the two most important calls from Saturday, the take away at the goal line and the offsides call on the missed FG, and then tell me they don't have a legitimate gripe.

http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=542&Itemid=40

I certainly agree that we should have been given the ball on the take away, but I don't think that's a very good angle on the offsides. When we saw the replay on TV at Coach's Corner, which was a little closer to the line, my fellow Eagle fan across the table and I turned to each other and said "yeah, hate to say it but he lined up offsides".

thirdgendin
October 15th, 2007, 09:53 AM
You are right Fuemo...it was a huge block in the back only 5 feet from the ref on that return. I'm not exactly sure why he did not call it, but I would guess make up for the only backward pass I have even seen called incomplete. Everyone around me on the home side said we got away with that one. I do not believe the tripping on Sprague was a penalty, he just lost his footing...but could have gone either way...Definately a sign the refs lost control of the game and therefore poorly called.

The fumble no call was a poor call, but I believe we fell on the ball anyway. If anything, it may have changed a TD to a FG. BUT, it shouldn't have even happened as Dortch was clearly in the end zone on the fumble return immediately preceding the fumble no call, but the refs marked him out at the 1.