View Full Version : Rich Rod wasting no time!

Schism55
August 24th, 2022, 02:25 PM
EAST TEXAS ESPIONAGE ???

Ahead of their Week Zero showdown with Stephen F. Austin this upcoming Saturday, Jacksonville State Head Coach Rich Rodriguez claims SFA allegedly sent a spy with a camera to watch them practice.

"That's really not supposed to happen" -R.R.
@abc3340 https://t.co/BEUF9dH3f6

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
August 24th, 2022, 02:55 PM
Sounds like pot stirring.

Truth be told, wouldn't surprise me if this was a lot more commonplace than you'd think and there are a bunch of schools doing it.

Also if we lose to SFA, it won't be because they sent a camera to our practice. It will be because they're better.

caribbeanhen
August 24th, 2022, 03:31 PM
New head coach at Delaware Ryan Carty is not letting fans into practice this summer

Dane96
August 24th, 2022, 04:55 PM
True story: about 11 years ago, I was heading up to my ski share house in Vermont when I pulled off in Hanover, NH to pick something up. Dartmouth football practicing and the fences were open. I walked in and, knowing how this works, went right up to Buddy Teevens, introduced myself to him and said "Do you mind if I watch practice". I had told him that I was a DIII guy for Bob Ford (my one semester I played before injury) and my family history of coaches. I was just a football junkie that wanted to watch. He spent about 20 minutes with me shooting the ****, waxing poetic about Bob Ford. He excused himself and I wished him the best of luck vs. Sacred Heart.

About 40 min later, during a punting drill, I literally get grabbed by two men who then reach into my pocket asking me for my phone. I broke free of one guy, threw the other to the ground and said "WTF is wrong with you, touch me again and we are going to have issues". The Asst. Athletic Director who oversaw football then intervened and calmly told me that Buddy saw me on my cell phone, typing into my phone and thought I was filming practice and / or taking notes of the punting drill to send to his opponents, including Sacred Heart. I laughed my ass off and said, "I was texting with some woman who I was hoping would meet me out in Killington that night...and my phone was a flip phone (I was behind the times on smart phones), is Buddy out of his mind?!"

I told him there was absolutely zero way they were looking at my phone now, I am not an asshole that would film practice...and especially not after chopping it up with Buddy prior. If they had asked nicely, I would have shown them the phone...but it was principal now. He realized Buddy made a massive mistake and I said, "If your punting play gets blown up by Sacred Heart for any reason whatsoever, please feel free to take my info to Sacred Heart, Albany, the NEC, the IVY, and the NCAA...and get me banned from campuses." He laughed, simply asked for my phone number and name, which I gladly gave him.

About two hours later, I get a call from the Asst AD, and when I answered (while sitting in a hot tub and chugging beers, pre-gaming for the night out) he wasn't too shocked because he realized I wouldn't give my info out if I was stupid enough to have filmed the practice. He asked me to hang on, Buddy gets on...and apologizes to me. I accepted it...but from that point forward...Dartmouth football and Buddy Teevens could go sit on a flagpole and spin, in my mind.

Darmouth went on to lose to Sacred Heart on...drumroll...a special teams, last minute FG. Not many things that week were sweeter. And yep, I still met that woman out and the rest of that story I will keep to myself.

caribbeanhen
August 24th, 2022, 07:17 PM
Hey good story !

Libertine
August 24th, 2022, 09:26 PM
Truth be told, wouldn't surprise me if this was a lot more commonplace than you'd think and there are a bunch of schools doing it.

If you mean a bunch of schools' head coaches being absurdly paranoid and acting like they're running a high school program in 1972 and not an NCAA D1 team in 2022 then, yeah, that happens all the time. If you mean bunch of schools' coaches sending guys with cameras on 10 hour car rides to get the lowdown on the other team's practice, that doesn't actually happen. Like, at all.

First of all, in-person scouting is highly -- and I mean HIGHLY illegal -- in D1 and has been for a very long time. However, it is not entirely illegal in D2 -- though you still can't video an opponent's practice -- which I can only assume that D2 is what Rich Rod thinks SFA actually is.

Secondly, in 2022, there are much easier, cheaper and completely legal ways of getting information on your opponents than to send an intern down I-20 in a rental car with a pee bottle and a Handycam. If a coaching staff actually thinks that that's a good idea, they're morons who need someone to take away their Zubaz and their stack of VHS tapes and to explain to them that the internet is a thing that exists. Tout de suite.

Third, SFA probably has video of all 11 games from JSU last year to evaluate personnel and thirty frickin years worth of video to evaluate Rich Rod's schemes. Does anyone really think that SFA felt that the topper on that cake needed to be student equipment manager JonJon just popping over to JSU football practice and pretending like he's TMZ? Come on, this is RR BS.

Go Green
August 25th, 2022, 04:31 AM
Darmouth went on to lose to Sacred Heart on...drumroll...a special teams, last minute FG. Not many things that week were sweeter. And yep, I still met that woman out and the rest of that story I will keep to myself.

We played like **** that day.

crusader11
August 25th, 2022, 08:14 AM
What an awesome story, 96. Did you end up going out with that girl?

Here's one for you that also involves Dartmouth.

I'm not sure of the history between Buddy Teevens and Tom Gilmore, but it was pretty well known that they had a competitive streak with each other on the football field. They never played in the Ivy League at the same time (Teevens was the QB at Dartmouth in the late 70s and Gilmore a DT at Penn in the mid 80s) and didn't coach at Dartmouth at the same time (Teevens had his first stint there from 87-91 and Gilmore was an assistant there from 92-99), but the playing and coaching circles are pretty small.

Anyways, it's the 2008 season and HC is at Dartmouth. I was a student manager at the time and one of the responsibilities I had pregame was ensuring there was enough water and ice on the sidelines and that the powerade was mixed into coolers. Most of the time, the coolers would be empty, but the coolers on the sideline were already filled with water and ice (it's customary that the home team will provide the visiting team with this stuff).

To this day I'm not sure if TG was kidding around or being serious (at the time he was all business), but I'll never forget what he said to me: "Empty those coolers and refill them. I don't trust these guys."

#FootballGuy

Dane96
August 25th, 2022, 09:18 AM
We played like **** that day.

That's because aside from filming punting drills, I am a Warlock who put a spell on Dartmouth that evening. ;)

caribbeanhen
August 25th, 2022, 09:21 AM

Here's one for you that also involves Dartmouth.

I'm not sure of the history between Buddy Teevens and Tom Gilmore, but it was pretty well known that they had a competitive streak with each other on the football field. They never played in the Ivy League at the same time (Teevens was the QB at Dartmouth in the late 70s and Gilmore a DT at Penn in the mid 80s) and didn't coach at Dartmouth at the same time (Teevens had his first stint there from 87-91 and Gilmore was an assistant there from 92-99), but the playing and coaching circles are pretty small.

Anyways, it's the 2008 season and HC is at Dartmouth. I was a student manager at the time and one of the responsibilities I had pregame was ensuring there was enough water and ice on the sidelines and that the powerade was mixed into coolers. Most of the time, the coolers would be empty, but the coolers on the sideline were already filled with water and ice (it's customary that the home team will provide the visiting team with this stuff).

To this day I'm not sure if TG was kidding around or being serious (at the time he was all business), but I'll never forget what he said to me: "Empty those coolers and refill them. I don't trust these guys."

#FootballGuy

did you do it?

Dane96
August 25th, 2022, 09:21 AM

Had a "Ski/snowboard season fling" with her...then moved on after the snowboarding season was over. Kinda typical ski/snowboard resort story. That trip up was for Killington Beer Festival...so, I guess it was kinda extended from Sept-May. That was my longest ski mountain relationship ever. LOL.

crusader11
August 25th, 2022, 09:26 AM
did you do it?

With pleasure.

Go Green
August 25th, 2022, 09:34 AM
That's because aside from filming punting drills, I am a Warlock who put a spell on Dartmouth that evening. ;)

You got us good.

If I'm recalling correctly, we called one misdirection play around the Sacred Heart 35-yard line (or so) that completely had SHU's defenders fooled. We had not one, but two receivers wide open in the end zone. Not sure if it was actually our quarterback or another offensive player but he threw it up in their general direction. Like two outfielders expecting the other guy to haul in a fly ball, our receivers just stood there as the ball landed between them for an incompletion.

It was that type of day for us....

WestCoastAggie
August 25th, 2022, 11:21 AM
Did Rich Rod ever cut that punter that assaulted his team mate with the pool cue?

clenz
August 25th, 2022, 11:36 AM
Did Rich Rod ever cut that punter that assaulted his team mate with the pool cue?
No. He's been named the starter and will face no action until after any legal action is finished.

Meaning they are knowingly, and willingly, keeping a rapist on their program and playing him because he's good at punting and Rich Rod is Rich Rod.

#SatlyMichiganFanHateBoner

Go Green
August 25th, 2022, 11:39 AM
No. He's been named the starter and will face no action until after any legal action is finished.

Meaning they are knowingly, and willingly, keeping a rapist on their program and playing him because he's good at punting and Rich Rod is Rich Rod.

Send Dane96 to put a spell on them. :)

CenMEBlackBearFan
August 25th, 2022, 11:50 AM
Great story Dane 96.
It is going to be hard to root for JSU this year. After we put a beat down on them in the playoffs in 18 and they jumped on our M at midfield I lost some respect but this issue is over the top. Maine has had some serious discipline issues in years gone by but the athlete was always suspened until the issue was resolved. This is so egregious I can't believe they are not addressing now.

AmsterBison
August 25th, 2022, 12:08 PM
NDSU got pretty paranoid about having people watch practices under Coach Bohl - and he got a lot of crap for closing practices, but NDSU is still closing practices.

POD Knows
August 25th, 2022, 12:49 PM
Great story Dane 96.
It is going to be hard to root for JSU this year. After we put a beat down on them in the playoffs in 18 and they jumped on our M at midfield I lost some respect but this issue is over the top. Maine has had some serious discipline issues in years gone by but the athlete was always suspened until the issue was resolved. This is so egregious I can't believe they are not addressing now.JSU is a bunch of asshats, cocky as hell without any real reason to be.

JSUSoutherner
August 25th, 2022, 01:06 PM
The athlete was always suspened until the issue was resolved. This is so egregious I can't believe they are not addressing now.
Same.

caribbeanhen
August 25th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Same.

Welcome to FBS

Bisonoline
August 25th, 2022, 05:52 PM
JSU is a bunch of asshats, cocky as hell without any real reason to be.

Yeah they talked a lot of **** coming out on the field. Then got their asses handed to them. Fans were pretty much the same way.

Did you ever hear the story about the BBQ dinner in Frisco?

POD Knows
August 25th, 2022, 05:59 PM
Yeah they talked a lot of **** coming out on the field. Then got their asses handed to them. Fans were pretty much the same way.

Did you ever hear the story about the BBQ dinner in Frisco?Yea, don't know about their fans so much but back in 2015, a bunch of us were sitting in a bar and it was almost all NDSU folks, they looked around and walked out, little did they know that if they had stayed, they probably wouldn't have had to buy a drink the rest of the night. Their players were always cocky and undisciplined, that came out in later games as well with all the penalties and the underperformance. I remember how fat and out of shape both their O and D lines were.

JSUSoutherner
August 25th, 2022, 06:34 PM
Yea, don't know about their fans so much but back in 2015, a bunch of us were sitting in a bar and it was almost all NDSU folks, they looked around and walked out, little did they know that if they had stayed, they probably wouldn't have had to buy a drink the rest of the night. Their players were always cocky and undisciplined, that came out in later games as well with all the penalties and the underperformance. I remember how fat and out of shape both their O and D lines were.
To Rich Rod's credit, word out of camp is our S&C has improved a lot.

How that actually translates to the field is TBD. But we did turn over a lot of the roster so it will be interesting to see if there's much change from the days of Grass.

Grass and Rich Rod seem to be pretty opposite in their coaching style.

POD Knows
August 25th, 2022, 06:49 PM

How that actually translates to the field is TBD. But we did turn over a lot of the roster so it will be interesting to see if there's much change from the days of Grass.

Grass and Rich Rod seem to be pretty opposite in their coaching style.That is good because I think your S&C in the past was fat and carbs at McD's or something. I still remember how you guys touted your O and D line by size and how awesome it was. Priceless, I followed the 2015 Natty thread before I came on board here, classic.

JSUSoutherner
August 25th, 2022, 06:54 PM
That is good because I think your S&C in the past was fat and carbs at McD's or something. I still remember how you guys touted your O and D line by size and how awesome it was. Priceless, I followed the 2015 Natty thread before I came on board here, classic.
Yeah the thing that bothered me most wasn't that we showed up to 2015 out of shape, it was that even after we got absolutely demolished we never changed anything.

POD Knows
August 25th, 2022, 07:00 PM
Yeah the thing that bothered me most wasn't that we showed up to 2015 out of shape, it was that even after we got absolutely demolished we never changed anything.
Lots of real good skill players but slow and undisciplined in the trenches.

clenz
August 25th, 2022, 10:18 PM

Grass and Rich Rod seem to be pretty opposite in their coaching style.
"Our S&C has improved"

https://i.imgflip.com/5d9tow.png

I mean, Grass was pretty good at turning a roster over yearly as well with 40 FBS transfers too.

JSUSoutherner
August 26th, 2022, 07:03 AM
"Our S&C has improved"

https://i.imgflip.com/5d9tow.png

I mean, Grass was pretty good at turning a roster over yearly as well with 40 FBS transfers too.
Bar may be low but if it raises literally at all that's a big deal here for the Gamecocks.

caribbeanhen
August 26th, 2022, 07:35 AM
Great story Dane 96.
It is going to be hard to root for JSU this year. After we put a beat down on them in the playoffs in 18 and they jumped on our M at midfield I lost some respect but this issue is over the top. Maine has had some serious discipline issues in years gone by but the athlete was always suspened until the issue was resolved. This is so egregious I can't believe they are not addressing now.

I definitely remember that curb stomping you gave Jacksonville State and what everybody is saying about Stoney's breakfast buffet belly fat is true

indecent exposure

taper
August 26th, 2022, 01:12 PM

Waiting for legal action is the correct choice here. If you want to live in a country where you're innocent until proven guilty this is what you do. There have been far too many false accusations and rush to convict in the media. Just a few, 2006 Duke lacrosse team. Accused of gang rape by a stripper. DNA evidence didn't match, one of the accused was proven to have been somewhere else at the time. Duke fired the coach, cancelled the season, players and staff faced severe harassment. All charges were dropped and the prosecutor was disbarred and jailed. The players were completely innocent but had their lives destroyed. Roy Moore was running for US Senate in AL 2017(Jeff Sessions empty seat). Career politician, former chief justice of the state supreme court. All of a sudden multiple women said he had raped them decades ago. He lost by just over 20k votes. Court takes longer but he was found innocent of all charges. Recently won an $8M defamation lawsuit against a Democrat party PAC. Small price to pay to upset a Senate seat in a solid red state. His media conviction was so complete I'm sure there's people here that'll try to say it didn't matter he was found innocent, he's obviously still guilty. Remember that woman at Columbia that carried around a mattress in protest of her rapist not being expelled? Allegation was total fabrication. She faked the whole thing as performance art for her senior thesis. Her innocent target was cleared of any wrongdoing and got an undisclosed settlement from the university.
Maybe this guy is guilty, maybe he isn't. If people feel threatened by his continued presence the correct method is a restraining order from the court.

ElCid
August 26th, 2022, 04:44 PM
Waiting for legal action is the correct choice here. If you want to live in a country where you're innocent until proven guilty this is what you do. There have been far too many false accusations and rush to convict in the media. Just a few, 2006 Duke lacrosse team. Accused of gang rape by a stripper. DNA evidence didn't match, one of the accused was proven to have been somewhere else at the time. Duke fired the coach, cancelled the season, players and staff faced severe harassment. All charges were dropped and the prosecutor was disbarred and jailed. The players were completely innocent but had their lives destroyed. Roy Moore was running for US Senate in AL 2017(Jeff Sessions empty seat). Career politician, former chief justice of the state supreme court. All of a sudden multiple women said he had raped them decades ago. He lost by just over 20k votes. Court takes longer but he was found innocent of all charges. Recently won an $8M defamation lawsuit against a Democrat party PAC. Small price to pay to upset a Senate seat in a solid red state. His media conviction was so complete I'm sure there's people here that'll try to say it didn't matter he was found innocent, he's obviously still guilty. Remember that woman at Columbia that carried around a mattress in protest of her rapist not being expelled? Allegation was total fabrication. She faked the whole thing as performance art for her senior thesis. Her innocent target was cleared of any wrongdoing and got an undisclosed settlement from the university.
Maybe this guy is guilty, maybe he isn't. If people feel threatened by his continued presence the correct method is a restraining order from the court.

You are correct of course, but there are folks here who don't care because they are upset at the alleged crimes they automatically want to bypass any investigation and trial and just go directly to passing judgement. Trying hard not to put much politics in this. Mainly because it is a legal issue not a political one. Allegations of wrongdoing are just that, allegations. Whether it is a politician or a college athlete. Nobody here was on the scene to know if any of this is true or not. In any event, I think if the JSU folks did some deeper investigation and got what they feel is a good handle on the situation, I actually think it would be appropriate to take limited action like suspending him pending the legal. Again, by looking at the existing evidence, if any. But outright kicking him off "just" due to the charges based on someone's complaint would not be fair and is not how we do business.

JSUSoutherner
August 26th, 2022, 06:10 PM
JSU isn't a court of law.

And like you said, maybe he is guilty. That should be reason enough for a suspension until this is sorted out because if he is guilty that's what's known as a PR disaster for the university.

It's not passing judgement of guilt upon the kid. It's CYA for the university at large.

If a coworker goes to HR claiming you shoved a pool cue up his rear in the break room, and it's a 'your word against his' situation, do you think you really come to work the next day? At the very minimum you're placed on leave until the situation is sorted out.

POD Knows
August 27th, 2022, 08:53 AM
I see the Buffalo Bills sat their punted in advance of actual guilt involving a rape, WTF is going on with punters. In any event, I didn't think an NFL team would have "character" than a college program, wait, what am I thinking, never mind.

dgtw
August 27th, 2022, 07:42 PM
After seeing his punt today, I am fine with kicking him off the team.

JSUSoutherner
August 27th, 2022, 07:48 PM
After seeing his punt today, I am fine with kicking him off the team.
I mean with a running game like that, do we even need a punter?

Go for it on 4th down.