PDA

View Full Version : Southland: Southeastern at Northwestern State

GeauxLions94
October 13th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Lions go for their first win in Natchitoches since 1968 and first 2-0 conference start since 1974

Baton Rouge Morning Advocate (http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/10521707.html)

LionSports.net (http://www.lionsports.net/index.php?pid=headline&content=user&func=article&id=3337)

NSUDemons.com (http://www.nsudemons.com/story.asp?ID=3195)

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Lions are going to be able to win this one...

We're all happy for Lucas in Huntsville and the Lions may finally be living up to their dark horse status. Then again, NWST and SFA are not world-beaters. We'll learn more about the Lions against Nicholls, McNeese and UCA.

BEAR
October 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM
What's the Lions fan message board? I tried the Delphi one and it didn't work. Anyone have a direct link they could post? Thanks!

McNeese75
October 13th, 2007, 01:05 PM
What's the Lions fan message board? I tried the Delphi one and it didn't work. Anyone have a direct link they could post? Thanks!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/SLULions/start

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM
FYI -- Drew Branch started for NWST today at QB

Lions up 17-14 over the Demons in the 3rd quarter, 10:54 remaining.

Lions trailed 14-0, scored 17 straight in the 2nd quarter...

Jay Lucas has two TDs as the Lions did not need more than 5 plays to score on their three drives...

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Audio: http://www.nsudemons.com/listenToTheGame.asp
Live Stats: http://www.nsudemons.com/livestats/xlive.htm

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM
NWST drives and gets a FG with 3:08 left in the third quarter...17-17

They're deep in SELA territory right now as well...

NWST is putting up a fight!

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Demons FG makes it 20-17 in the early 4th quarter...FG made with 14:55 left in the fourth...

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 05:19 PM
SELA offensive struggles continue...

SELA can't even hold on to the ball 2 minutes before giving it back to NWST...

SELA gets it back a few minutes later, drive starting on their own 16 with 11:36 left...Lions need to score...

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 05:25 PM
HUGE, HUGE PLAY!

Babin, Brian pass complete to Ross, Byron for 72 yards to the NWLA0, 1ST DOWN SLU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 10:41, Turner, Jeff kick attempt good.

SELA 24-20 NWST 10:41 4Q

JoshUCA
October 13th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Go SELA!

JoshUCA
October 13th, 2007, 05:31 PM
NW St scores to go up 27-24

JoshUCA
October 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I am so confunsed by Nw St...last week they couldn't do ANYTHING against Nicholls but now they are hanging with SELA?!?!???

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I am so confunsed by Nw St...last week they couldn't do ANYTHING against Nicholls but now they are hanging with SELA?!?!???

Don't you recall what happened? NWST lost all three of their QBs. It was a snowball effect that kept going downhill for the Demons...they couldn't even pass the ball at the end because their QB could not do much more than handoff as he had a bummed knee...

JoshUCA
October 13th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Don't you recall what happened? NWST lost all three of their QBs. It was a snowball effect that kept going downhill for the Demons...they couldn't even pass the ball at the end because their QB could not do much more than handoff as he had a bummed knee...

I know that, but I didn't realize that they got any of them back...xcoffeex

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Looks as if the Demons are going to win this one to move to 2-1.

They are still in this thing!

Seat16Demon
October 13th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I sat through this one and all I can say is we did it. It wasn't pretty in the second half, but we hung in there and pulled it out. Had it not been for Drew Branch's recovery, we would have been in a bind. He was still somewhat limited in what he could do, but at least he was mobile enough to elude defenders and pass. Our running game really came on and did what it had to do. The defense looked pretty good. They gave up a big play or three, but by and large performed well. I was proud that the guys did not roll over and play dead after last weeks performance. They really tried hard to rebound, and seemed to do it well.
:)

GeauxLions94
October 14th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Branch played like a warrior today and the offensive line did a great job in protecting him and opening holes for Byron Lawrence.

Really questioned some of our play-calling, especially late. Jay Lucas only carries the ball nine times (averaged 8 yards per carry) and caught 4-5 passes with a TD ... did not carry the ball when he drove inside the NWLA 25 (ran option for minus yards, Babin gets sacked for big loss, holding penalty moves ball back even farther and we have to punt. xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

Then when we had stupid penalties in the first half, we have the stupidest one late in the game when we get whistled (and painfully obvious call at that) for late hit out of bounds xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

This was a VERY WINNABLE GAME for us (not too many times we go into Natchitoches as a favorite), but we need to start learning how to win on the road if we want to become a force in this league. xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

Lionsrking
October 14th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Branch played like a warrior today and the offensive line did a great job in protecting him and opening holes for Byron Lawrence.

Really questioned some of our play-calling, especially late. Jay Lucas only carries the ball nine times (averaged 8 yards per carry) and caught 4-5 passes with a TD ... did not carry the ball when he drove inside the NWLA 25 (ran option for minus yards, Babin gets sacked for big loss, holding penalty moves ball back even farther and we have to punt. xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

Then when we had stupid penalties in the first half, we have the stupidest one late in the game when we get whistled (and painfully obvious call at that) for late hit out of bounds xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

This was a VERY WINNABLE GAME for us (not too many times we go into Natchitoches as a favorite), but we need to start learning how to win on the road if we want to become a force in this league. xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx

These are the games we have to learn to win. Northwestern is a much different team at home and Drew Branch looked plenty healthy to me, but we still had chances to win and didn't get it done.

I thought Tommy Condell did a great job mixing stuff up and had them off balance, but I agree that Jay Lucas has to touch the ball more than 14 times (9 runs, 5 pass receptions) in a game for us to beat good teams. We only ran 48 offensive plays and the penalties killed us by sustaining several of their drives. Our defense was on the field all day and they eventually wore us down. Give the Demons credit...their backs were against the wall and they came ready to play. I thought we did too but shot ourselves in the foot way too much.

Seat16Demon
October 14th, 2007, 06:58 AM
SELA has a good team and Lucas is a 'man-child'! He can hang with anybody! I can't understand why he did not carry the ball more (not that I am complaining xsmiley_wix). Good luck to you guys in the rest of the Southland games.