PDA

View Full Version : MVSU Rice-Totten Stadium temporarily closed?

Laker
August 17th, 2022, 05:20 PM
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/300086191_10227840634382029_4371549154197051400_n. jpg?stp=cp1_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=Wls6HLNIyyQAX-WpuE6&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=00_AT_cq2CCTtfrlScYEoBUd_BwxxvISS1i8uycUcUsvN3H Mw&oe=63017D37

clenz
August 17th, 2022, 05:41 PM
We will be back bigger, better, and stronger than ever.

Don't you worry.

Laker
August 17th, 2022, 05:54 PM
We will be back bigger, better, and stronger than ever.

Don't you worry.

When I saw the story, I didn't think of Deacon Jones or Jerry Rice. I thought of you and your t-shirt.

clenz
August 17th, 2022, 07:48 PM
When I saw the story, I didn't think of Deacon Jones or Jerry Rice. I thought of you and your t-shirt.
The way it should be.

Panther88
August 19th, 2022, 08:27 AM
New turf perhaps? Cryptic way to announce new turf being installed.

Libertine
August 19th, 2022, 09:33 AM
New turf perhaps? Cryptic way to announce new turf being installed.

Wouldn't you announce an improvement like that though? And it is really late to start installing turf. MVSU doesn't play a home game until mid-September but you can't go from grass to turf in four weeks.

Based on Deion's comments back in April (https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/jackson-state/2022/04/29/deion-sanders-wants-build-football-field-mississippi-valley-state/9585385002/)on the condition of the MVSU facilities, I would guess that this is necessary work to get the stadium up to code for hosting games.

DFW HOYA
August 19th, 2022, 09:54 AM
Wouldn't you announce an improvement like that though? And it is really late to start installing turf. MVSU doesn't play a home game until mid-September but you can't go from grass to turf in four weeks. Based on Deion's comments back in April (https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/jackson-state/2022/04/29/deion-sanders-wants-build-football-field-mississippi-valley-state/9585385002/)on the condition of the MVSU facilities, I would guess that this is necessary work to get the stadium up to code for hosting games.

I wouldn't be surprised if the opener with Div. II Delta State moves to Delta (41 miles away), which buys them time for the next home game with Alcorn State on Oct. 8.

Libertine
August 19th, 2022, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the opener with Div. II Delta State moves to Delta (41 miles away), which buys them time for the next home game with Alcorn State on Oct. 8.

Seven weeks is better than four weeks but that's still asking a lot of what is essentially a construction project. You've got to completely regrade the field, rip out and replace the drainage, lay down and regrade multiple layers of gravel, ship in the turf and fill material, hire an install crew that's available within your timeframe, and finally add the fill. There are also inspections required between each step, which I'm sure I'm leaving out a few. Getting the install crew is a major hurdle because turf install is a specialized skill; there are only so many companies that do it and they're all in demand so they book early. If MVSU didn't have plans for this in April, they would have to be "hit the lottery"-level lucky to get a crew within 4-5 months and, even once you have the crew on site, install for a full football field takes at least a calendar week by itself.

And all of this assumes no weather delays during hurricane season.

kdinva
August 19th, 2022, 12:07 PM
Seven weeks is better than four weeks but that's still asking a lot of what is essentially a construction project. You've got to completely regrade the field, rip out and replace the drainage, lay down and regrade multiple layers of gravel, ship in the turf and fill material, hire an install crew that's available within your timeframe, and finally add the fill. There are also inspections required between each step, which I'm sure I'm leaving out a few. Getting the install crew is a major hurdle because turf install is a specialized skill; there are only so many companies that do it and they're all in demand so they book early. If MVSU didn't have plans for this in April, they would have to be "hit the lottery"-level lucky to get a crew within 4-5 months and, even once you have the crew on site, install for a full football field takes at least a calendar week by itself.

And all of this assumes no weather delays during hurricane season.

if this is the reason, why didn't they start in May?

POD Knows
August 19th, 2022, 12:11 PM
My guess is a black mold issue, maybe asbestos removal or a vermin problem.

Libertine
August 19th, 2022, 01:54 PM
My guess is a black mold issue, maybe asbestos removal or a vermin problem.

The Rice-Totten is 50+ years old so it could be this or a lot of things, including simple updating of safety standards. There are much younger stadiums like Aloha in Honolulu or Eagle Stadium in Allen, TX that have had to be completely shut down in recent years.

POD Knows
August 19th, 2022, 01:56 PM
The Rice-Totten is 50+ years old so it could be this or a lot of things, including simple updating of safety standards. There are much younger stadiums like Aloha in Honolulu or Eagle Stadium in Allen, TX that have had to be completely shut down in recent years.I dont understand why they are doing it now, to me, it looks like it flunked some type of inspection and got shut down. I am probably wrong but that is what it "smells" like

Libertine
August 19th, 2022, 02:00 PM
I dont understand why they are doing it now, to me, it looks like it flunked some type of inspection and got shut down. I am probably wrong but that is what it "smells" like

I agree. It seems like whatever the reason probably isn't one that would make MVSU fans happy.