PDA

View Full Version : The CAA Today: Weeks Six & Seven – Ranking the Quarterbacks <---CSN

CSN-info
October 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
The CAA Today: Weeks Six & Seven – Ranking the Quarterbacks
Bruce Dowd, CSN columnist

Maybe if we all just keep complaining, the people doing the polls will pay more attention to the schedule and spend more time truly evaluating the rankings. I do vote in one of the polls, but I won’t mention which one. After my tirades the last two weeks I thought it only fair to let everyone know how I have them ranked.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=88143

BDKJMU
October 12th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I did e-mail Bruce about not making JMU's run defense against NU look any worse than it was. Murray had 184 rushing yards under "Gain", 2 under "Loss", for a "NET" of 182. He was obviously just looking at the gain column. Know I'm being technical, minor mistake.

Tailbone
October 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM
The CAA Today: Weeks Six & Seven – Ranking the Quarterbacks

THE RANKINGS MADNESS

...... I did some sole searching after these last two weeks .......

As in checking the bottom of your shoes? Looking by yourself (unassisted)?
Obviously not looking for fish, as "Sole" would then be capitalized. xconfusedx

Is it too much to ask that "professional" writers spell simple words correctly or use the correct four letter word? xrolleyesx

Maybe CSN could hire a proof-reader. xcoffeex
Does a local high school provide journalism interns (who can spell)?
Can't be any old high school or college grad....spelling appears to no longer be a requirement of academic progression.

Seawolf97
October 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Read the piece on Stonybrook at Richmond. We lost our last 2 games but were in both until the end. Many predicted a blowout at Hofstra-should be an interesting matchup tomorrow.

Hofstra76
October 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Read the piece on Stonybrook at Richmond. We lost our last 2 games but were in both until the end. Many predicted a blowout at Hofstra-should be an interesting matchup tomorrow.

You guys sure are hanging a lot on the Hofstra game. Keep in mind, Hofstra handed you two touchdowns. You were outgained 425 to 270 and you only managed 29 yards on 32 carries for the game. That's about 30 inches a carry.

Uncle Buck
October 12th, 2007, 07:55 PM
You guys sure are hanging a lot on the Hofstra game. Keep in mind, Hofstra handed you two touchdowns. You were outgained 425 to 270 and you only managed 29 yards on 32 carries for the game. That's about 30 inches a carry.

i agree with you 76, we played terrible. Credit to SBU though, they fought till the end.

blukeys
October 13th, 2007, 06:11 PM
As in checking the bottom of your shoes? Looking by yourself (unassisted)?
Obviously not looking for fish, as "Sole" would then be capitalized. xconfusedx

Is it too much to ask that "professional" writers spell simple words correctly or use the correct four letter word? xrolleyesx

Maybe CSN could hire a proof-reader. xcoffeex
Does a local high school provide journalism interns (who can spell)?
Can't be any old high school or college grad....spelling appears to no longer be a requirement of academic progression.

I too am annoyed at these types of errors by "professionals". However, one can see this type of mistake all over publications and I see this trend increasing as opposed to decreasing. Part of the problem is turning the proof reading function over to the spell checker in the word processing program. (sole is spelled correctly it is just the wrong word for the context)

I have always told students to turn their term papers over to a friend to read as picking out someone else's mistakes is easier than seeing your own.

In fairness to Mr. Dowd his articles are usually well reasoned and well written. As annoying as these mistakes are, I don't allow it to detract from the overall content of Mr. Dowd's pieces.

blukeys
October 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Another faux pas, is the title which suggests that it is a QB ranking when it is none such thing. More word processing sloppiness IMHO.

Uncle Buck
October 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Tell me about it. Back in grad school i had am extremely demanding teacher for one of my courses. His term paper was a 30+ page horror show. People turned in sections only to get torn to pieces by him. I procrastinate and turn in nothing but the finished product. I recieved a 99 1/2 becuase i titled a section as "Rational" instead of "Rationale". Damn spell check.