PDA

View Full Version : 774 College Football Programs (Football Remains Strong)

SFA 93
August 2nd, 2022, 02:07 PM
Football Remains Strong: 774 Colleges and Universities Offering Football

"Having Division I football is going to be a game-changer for our institution," UTRGV Vice President and Director of Athletics Chasse Conque told The Monitor. "Offering football and swimming will give us something a little special to offer to our campus community and region."

UTRGV of the WAC, looks to launch its football program in the 2025 season.

Across the divisions, 88 (by 2025) new football programs have been introduced since 2008.
https://footballfoundation.org/news/2022/8/2/football-remains-strong-774-colleges-and-universities-offering-football.aspx

MR. CHICKEN
August 2nd, 2022, 04:19 PM
WHO THE HELL....IS......UTRGV?.........xdontknowx......... .XWQHJM?

SFA 93
August 2nd, 2022, 04:35 PM
University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley (Vaqueros) located in Edinburg, Texas member of the WAC.

https://content.invisioncic.com/r224567/monthly_2017_04/58f54f226abf6_HomeOrangeHelmetVLogo.png.8d8cd3e203 e746532f8e5bfabebd301f.png

MR. CHICKEN
August 2nd, 2022, 04:44 PM
ORANGE/BLUE/ GREEN......WELL GRIZZWOLD'S.....WERE ONCE.....GOLD/COPPER/SILVER......xeyebrowx......AWK!

Puddin Tane
August 2nd, 2022, 10:34 PM
Utrgv is the merger of ut brownsville, texas southmost college, and ut pan american. Wayyyyy down south near mexico somewhere. Musta kept all the colors from the 3 schools.

UAalum72
August 3rd, 2022, 08:42 AM
Across the divisions, 88 (by 2025) new football programs have been introduced since 2008.

So I guess all the pearl-clutching on here about Title IX being the death of football was premature at best

DFW HOYA
August 3rd, 2022, 10:12 AM
Utrgv is the merger of ut brownsville, texas southmost college, and ut pan american. Wayyyyy down south near mexico somewhere. Musta kept all the colors from the 3 schools.

Uniform trivia: all schools of the University of Texas system (UTEP, UTSA, UTRGV, etc.) each incorporate orange in its colors.

SFA 93
August 3rd, 2022, 11:16 AM
burnt orange :)

MR. CHICKEN
August 3rd, 2022, 12:01 PM
]burnt orange[/B] :)

....OWN-LAH WHEN DEY PLAY ALABAMA.........BRAWK!

taper
August 3rd, 2022, 01:33 PM
So I guess all the pearl-clutching on here about Title IX being the death of football was premature at best
It was the death of wrestling. Around half the programs folded, and counting.

With the drop in youth football players, I wonder if we're going to be able to fill all these college teams with competent players in 20 years.

FUBeAR
August 3rd, 2022, 01:37 PM
It was the death of wrestling. Around half the programs folded, and counting.

With the drop in youth football players, I wonder if we're going to be able to fill all these college teams with competent players in 20 years.
Yep - definitely put the dagger in College Wrestling at MANY schools

Don’t think it’s caused drop in Youth Football participation though - that would be Concussion concerns, Lacrosse, Video Games, Streaming services, really bad super-macho youth football coaches, and the general pussification of America.

OhioHen
August 3rd, 2022, 02:45 PM
Turned out to be the death of a bunch of other men's sports at many schools.

There are many schools that have women's teams but no men's teams in cross country, track & field, volleyball, etc. To keep football while following Title IX requirements, other sports for men (including the previously mentioned wrestling) were sacrificed.

Laker
August 3rd, 2022, 03:35 PM
Lots of schools dropped wrestling. However, D2 University of Sioux Falls just announced adding both men's and women's wrestling.

DFW HOYA
August 3rd, 2022, 03:55 PM
Turned out to be the death of a bunch of other men's sports at many schools.

Not everywhere, but it was particularly eviscerated in California. The following schools have dropped football in that state since 1975:

UC-Riverside (1975)
Cal-State Los Angeles (1977)
Cal Poly Pomona (1985)
UC-Santa Barbara (1991)
Cal-State Long Beach (1991)
Cal-State Fullerton (1992)
Santa Clara (1992)
Cal-State Hayward (1993)
Cal Tech (1993)
San Francisco St. (1994)
Pacific (1995)
Cal-State Chico (1996)
Cal-State Northridge (2001)
St. Mary's (2003)
Cal Poly Humboldt (2018)
Occidental (2018)

FUBeAR
August 3rd, 2022, 04:22 PM
Not everywhere, but it was particularly eviscerated in California. The following schools have dropped football in that state since 1975:

UC-Riverside (1975)
Cal-State Los Angeles (1977)
Cal Poly Pomona (1985)
UC-Santa Barbara (1991)
Cal-State Long Beach (1991)
Cal-State Fullerton (1992)
Santa Clara (1992)
Cal-State Hayward (1993)
Cal Tech (1993)
San Francisco St. (1994)
Pacific (1995)
Cal-State Chico (1996)
Cal-State Northridge (2001)
St. Mary's (2003)
Cal Poly Humboldt (2018)
Occidental (2018)
That’s gotta been something more Cali-specific than Title IX that caused all those schools to drop Football. Don’t ya think?

bonarae
August 3rd, 2022, 05:06 PM
That’s gotta been something more Cali-specific than Title IX that caused all those schools to drop Football. Don’t ya think?

I agree, as DFW HOYA discussed here in another thread related to dropping of football many years ago (last decade).

ElCid
August 4th, 2022, 12:57 AM
Yep - definitely put the dagger in College Wrestling at MANY schools

Don’t think it’s caused drop in Youth Football participation though - that would be Concussion concerns, Lacrosse, Video Games, Streaming services, really bad super-macho youth football coaches, and the general pussification of America.

That about sums it up. I think an earthquake is coming within 20 years, at best. Maybe a lot sooner. As usual, the top tier will survive but bottom each tier will either fold, water down scholarships, or drop down as appropriate for each school situation. Questions will be asked as to the money spent. Not to mention the anti football sentiment among some college elites.

In 1982 there were 189 Div I programs (113/76 FBS/FCS). In 2022 there are 261 (130/131). Rising demand, lower supply. Something will give. Not sure what, or how, but it will not be the same as it has been. I think it is safe to say that quality has already gone down just due to the demand issue and not even taking the growing supply issue into account.

Libertine
August 4th, 2022, 08:07 AM

I think it's a chain reaction. Once a few schools started dropping their programs, it eventually created too many schedule holes for the other schools to keep up with. With fewer population centers and fewer colleges out west, those schools have had to either travel farther -- and spend more money -- or re-evaluate their reasons for having the sport themselves. Azusa Pacific (D2) dropped their program in 2020 specifically because they could no longer foot the bill for an away schedule that had the team flying to every road game.