PDA

View Full Version : DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 11th, 2007, 09:48 AM
The slogan, "Defense wins Championships",which teams do you think have a national championship caliber defense to march to Chatty? Your thoughts...

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 11th, 2007, 09:57 AM
In no particular order:

UNI
UMass
Montana
Montana St.
JMU
McNeese St.
SIU

Other teams have high powered offenses, I like these teams to go deep in November / December baring injuries.

89Hen
October 11th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I'm hoping the addage does not ring true. :(

lizrdgizrd
October 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hopefully the next few weeks will show that App has improved its defense sufficiently. xprayx

catbob
October 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Well discarding the Texas A&M game, the Cats defense has given up 2 TDs all season, for an 8.75 PPG average (they have also returned 4 INTs for TDs and registered a safety). They face their first true test though, this week against Eastern Washington. We will know how good our D is after that game.

appstate38
October 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM
The slogan, "Defense wins Championships",which teams do you think have a national championship caliber defense to march to Chatty? Your thoughts...

Our defenses in 05 and 06 were solid but I am not sure that is the whole story because our offense put enough pressure on our opponents to make them do things that were out of character which played to the strenghs of our defense. The ASU offense can roll 30 points or more without breaking a sweat and knowing that and having to game plan to keep up can make things tough.

appfan2008
October 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM
the key to asu winning a third title in a row is the defense turning it around... our offense is already there have put up thirty or more in every game and as long as our defense can hold the defense to less than thirty we have a chance to go all the way... they dont have to be great for asu to win... just good enough and i think they can be just that

blueballs
October 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
You've got to put Wofford in the argument. Wofford held ASU to less than Michigan did and The Citadel to way less than Wisconsin did.

DrG
October 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
The UMass defense really grew up in the BC game. I feel more confident about the future than I did a few weeks ago.

appstate38
October 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM
You've got to put Wofford in the argument. Wofford held ASU to less than Michigan did and The Citadel to way less than Wisconsin did.

Yeah, a whole 3 points... Alert the media!xlolx

montanafan
October 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Well discarding the Texas A&M game, the Cats defense has given up 2 TDs all season, for an 8.75 PPG average (they have also returned 4 INTs for TDs and registered a safety). They face their first true test though, this week against Eastern Washington. We will know how good our D is after that game.
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I think the correct phrase is how bad your defense is. EWU will be taking the cats to the house.

CrazyCat
October 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

I think the correct phrase is how bad your defense is. EWU will be taking the cats to the house.

Back at yaxconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

UNHWildCats
October 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM
New Hampshire...
If it were arena league football :p

DrG
October 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Good one!!! xlolx

skinny_uncle
October 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
It's a nice theory and sounds good.................
http://www.salukitalk.net/st/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

blueballs
October 11th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, a whole 3 points... Alert the media!xlolx

But enough to win in each case...

JMU-MRD-DAD
October 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM
In no particular order:

UNI
UMass
Montana
Montana St.
JMU
McNeese St.
SIU

Other teams have high powered offenses, I like these teams to go deep in November / December baring injuries.

I was feeling a lot better about JMU's defense but after giving up a ton of rushing yards last week......I'm back on the fence. It will be interesting to see how much yardage Rhody picks up......I did not research last year's game, but I know they moved the ball on us.

McNeese_beat
October 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM
McNeese has played outstanding defense. They give up 15 points a game, which is deceiving, because they've been blowing people out and emptying the bench, often in the third quarter. Against Texas State, they played 33 defensive players and they say 32 recorded some sort of tackle (unassisted or assisted).

Southern Utah didn't score until it was 34-0 in the third (final was 41-20). Texas State scored a meaningless touchdown in the final minute to make it 41-20.

McNeese has not allowed a touchdown longer than 18 yards and in the redzone, opponents have scored touchdowns on eight of 27 red zone trips. So big plays are highly unlikely and they are tough in the red zone. That's a salty combination.

Despite playing limited snaps because of the blowouts, Bryan Smith leads the nation with 7.5 sacks.

UMass922
October 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM
"Defense wins Championships"

That's never meant a whole lot to me. I prefer the truism "Scoring More Points than the Other Team Wins Championships." Whether you win 14-7 or 49-42, it's all the same.

That said, I think UMass has a championship-caliber defense. It was good enough to stop everyone but ASU last year. And I think an ASU team that clicks like it did last year--especially with a healthy Edwards, but possibly/probably even without--will be difficult for teams to outscore.

ASUdrummer
October 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
As potent as our offense is this thread does have a bit of truth to it. Yes, if we score more than 30 every game our defense doesn't have to be stellar. But what if that one bad offensive game comes in the playoffs??? Our defense has to start preparing now to be able to win a game. It's a great year for some PLAYOFF football. I can't wait!

lizrdgizrd
October 11th, 2007, 08:22 PM
As potent as our offense is this thread does have a bit of truth to it. Yes, if we score more than 30 every game our defense doesn't have to be stellar. But what if that one bad offensive game comes in the playoffs??? Our defense has to start preparing now to be able to win a game. It's a great year for some PLAYOFF football. I can't wait!
Slow down there, drummer. We've got to make the playoffs first. xrulesx xcoffeex

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 11th, 2007, 08:36 PM
GSU is giving up 30.4 points a game (for regulation time) so, well, we can't really talk. :(

As for the adage, it is exactly that - an adage that shouldn't be taken any more seriously than "rain before 7 quit before 11". Football is a game where your offense must put more points on your opposing team's defense than your opposing team's offense. You can win championships with a good offense and mediocre defense.

DB_Atlantic10
October 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I was feeling a lot better about JMU's defense but after giving up a ton of rushing yards last week......I'm back on the fence. It will be interesting to see how much yardage Rhody picks up......I did not research last year's game, but I know they moved the ball on us. You have to put much more of a premium on playing at NE...

ASUdrummer
October 11th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Slow down there, drummer. We've got to make the playoffs first. xrulesx xcoffeex

Every now and then I get excited. I have confidence in my team but I've also knocked on a lot of wood in the past xthumbsupx

minuteman65
October 11th, 2007, 10:34 PM
The UMass defense really grew up in the BC game. I feel more confident about the future than I did a few weeks ago.

Agreed. If this was two weeks ago, I'd say "Not UMass." They scared me at points earlier this season, especially the pass D early against Towson.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 12th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Football is a game where your offense must put more points on your opposing team's defense than your opposing team's offense.

Is that you John Madden? xeyebrowx

Walkon79
October 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM
In no particular order:

UNI
UMass
Montana
Montana St.
JMU
McNeese St.
SIU

I think the MSU defense could be really special this year. Great LB's and defensive front. Opportunistic secondary with 4 pics for scores already this year. Eastern will provide a serious challenge tomorrow, however. If our D shuts them down, this could be a fun October and November for Cat fans.

I love Smash Mouth!!

Screamin_Eagle174
October 12th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Eastern will provide a serious challenge tomorrow, however. If our D shuts them down, this could be a fun October and November for Cat fans.

That's a big if, because we have a big O. Montana has / had a nationally ranked defense, but that didn't stop us from putting up 565 yards in Missoula. I hope you guys bring everything you got, it'll be a slugfest!

Walkon79
October 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM
That's a big if, because we have a big O. Montana has / had a nationally ranked defense, but that didn't stop us from putting up 565 yards in Missoula. I hope you guys bring everything you got, it'll be a slugfest!

Not very fond of the picture by-the-way. That might be the worst game of Travis's career as a Bobcat.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I was feeling a lot better about JMU's defense but after giving up a ton of rushing yards last week......I'm back on the fence. It will be interesting to see how much yardage Rhody picks up......I did not research last year's game, but I know they moved the ball on us.

Give a team that much time with the ball, yeah, they'll put up yards on you. JMU has a good red zone D, the most important part of the D, and JMU also is creating TOs to help out when 3-and-outs aren't happening. Although JMU is missing Akeem Jordan, Barnes has played well at LB and overall the depth in the secondary is perhaps the best it has ever been.

I expect a tough win at Rhody. Also, keep in mind both NU and URI are coming off of BYE weeks - always makes the opponent that much fresher. It will be a bigger feat than it looks on paper to come 6-1 out of New England.

MSU seems to have the defense everyone is talking about. EWU will be a good test.

ASU - agreed - the Offense is there, the D is not there yet, still plenty of tough conference games to get prepared for a third run at the title.

Delaware, UNH and Towson all have issues on D. JMU, UR and UMass are the defensive teams to beat in the CAA right now. Towson got lucky despite a great performance from QB Schaefer (UR missed 3 FGs, any one of them would have given the Spiders the win last week).

CrazyCat
October 12th, 2007, 09:15 PM

I'd listen to your QB.

Nichols said Montana State has a fast defense, "and they do a lot of things better than Montana did. They blitz more. Montana has more of a run defense. Montana State can do both. There are a lot less holes in their defense. It's going to be harder to put up points against them."

http://www.mtstandard.com/articles/2007/10/12/ap-state-mt/d8s7qc302.txt

PantherRob82
October 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM
not Indiana State.

YoUDeeMan
October 13th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Yes, it does.

ysubigred
October 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM
YSU's D if it can get healthy the next few weeks has potential. With a lot of starters hurt we held MO State (W) and SIU (L) well below their adverage. Our "O" is even more banged up so that is our concern as of right now. xbawlingx

TokyoGriz
October 13th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I'd listen to your QB.

Nichols said Montana State has a fast defense, "and they do a lot of things better than Montana did. They blitz more. Montana has more of a run defense. Montana State can do both. There are a lot less holes in their defense. It's going to be harder to put up points against them."

http://www.mtstandard.com/articles/2007/10/12/ap-state-mt/d8s7qc302.txt

As much as it pains me I think MSU will hold EW to less than 300 yards tommorow. SHould be a lo better than the 560 or so they pasted on Montana last week.

I`d vote Montana State best defense in Big Sky so far. Offense, no...

UNHWildCats
October 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM
xeyebrowx xeyebrowx TokyoGriz.... Asian by any chance xsmiley_wix xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex :p

Maroons
October 13th, 2007, 12:07 PM
How about some stats? Where do the top 25 teams rank in defensive categories?

CrazyCat
October 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM
How about some stats? Where do the top 25 teams rank in defensive categories?

Any Given Saturday Poll Top 25
10/8/2007
(First place votes in parenthesis)

total defense
1. Northern Iowa (72) 14
2. North Dakota St. (19) 58
3. Massachusetts (3) 20
4. Montana (3) 33
5. Wofford (2) 50
6. McNeese St. (1) 45
7. Appalachian St. (2) 49
8. Southern Illinois (2) 21
9. James Madison 15
10. Youngstown St. 13
11. Hofstra 16
12. New Hampshire 13
13. Yale 8
14. Nicholls St. 18
15. Montana St. 44
16. Delaware 23
17. Delaware St. 48
18. Cal Poly 67
19. Hampton 70
20. Western Illinois 9
21. Richmond 37
22. Georgia Southern 66
23. Furman 60
24. The Citadel 12
25. Eastern Kentucky 110

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/mainpage.jsp?year=2007

Maroons
October 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Well, that doesn't bode well for the old Colonels. Is total defense just total number of yards allowed?

McNeese75
October 13th, 2007, 01:49 PM
xeyebrowx xeyebrowx TokyoGriz.... Asian by any chance xsmiley_wix xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex :p

Stop it!!! xlolx

lizrdgizrd
October 13th, 2007, 02:24 PM
As much as it pains me I think MSU will hold EW to less than 300 yards tommorow. SHould be a lo better than the 560 or so they pasted on Montana last week.

I`d vote Montana State best defense in Big Sky so far. Offense, no...

Stop it!!! xlolx
How long will it take TG to figure it out? xlolx xlolx

uofmman1122
October 14th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I'd listen to your QB.

Nichols said Montana State has a fast defense, "and they do a lot of things better than Montana did. They blitz more. Montana has more of a run defense. Montana State can do both. There are a lot less holes in their defense. It's going to be harder to put up points against them."Funny....it didn't seem that hard. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Maroons
October 14th, 2007, 11:19 AM
I thought scoring defense might be interesting as well...

Scoring Defense
1. Northern Iowa (72) 6
2. North Dakota St. (19) Not Included
3. Massachusetts (3) 19
4. Montana (3) 2
5. Wofford (2) 39
6. McNeese St. (1) 9
7. Appalachian St. (2) 43
8. Southern Illinois (2) 11
9. James Madison 21
10. Youngstown St. 17
11. Hofstra 10