PDA

View Full Version : UNC-Wilmington Football?

henfan
October 11th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Seahawk Football?
Submitted by Meghan Torjussen on 10 October 2007

A forum at UNCW Wednesday night discussed the possibility of adding a football team to the university's athletic program. Students and Administration got together for a forum. Most students were in favor of adding football team.

Student fees would have to go up to foot the bill, but for foot ball, it's a price some students say they're willing to pay.

More at:
http://wwaytv3.com/seahawk_football/10/2007

aust42
October 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Whose next, VCU, George Mason? I say we go back and reform the football only Yankee Conference.

citdog
October 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM
reform the football only Yankee Conference.

i would like this as well. Headlines could be "Yankee loses to Southern Again"

appstate38
October 11th, 2007, 09:24 AM
There is no reason that UNCW shouldn't have a football team. The school is big enough and it could support one if the administration would get off their butts and get it done. Instant recruiting bonus... Who wouldn't want to live here at the beach and play football.

henfan
October 11th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Whose next, VCU, George Mason? I say we go back and reform the football only Yankee Conference.

Well that obviously isn't going to happen and for a lot of reasons.

George Mason is evaluating FB beyond its current club team. There's been no talk of VCU considering the sport.

Interested to learn that UNH practiced on Mason's field a few weeks back, prior to their road game vs. JMU.

Kosty
October 11th, 2007, 09:28 AM

A Yankee conference consisting of teams from the South??? That's a good one!!

Kosty
October 11th, 2007, 09:29 AM

A Yankee Conference consisting of teams from the South?? That's a good one!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

henfan
October 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM
A Yankee Conference consisting of teams from the South?? That's a good one!!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I think he was referring to reconstituting the YankCon circa 1990. Of course, that'll be hard to do without UConn, BU, an administrative staff, an NCAA vote in D-I matters, an auto-bid, a media deal, and on and on and on.

The YankCon was fun while it lasted though, albeit not nearly as competitive as the current CAA. RIP, YankCon.
http://www.jumpingfrog.com/images/mags05mar26/mag6113.jpg

Husky Alum
October 11th, 2007, 09:45 AM
UNCW would instantly have the best looking cheerleaders in the CAA for football.

That's a bonus in and of itself.

andy7171
October 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
If this happens does the CAA kick out the other schools that are in the CAA for football only(Villanova, UNH, Maine, URI, UMass? Giving us a 10 team Delaware, Georgia State, Hofstra, JMU, UNC-W, Northeastern, ODU, Towson, ODU and W&M.

aust42
October 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM
UNCW would instantly have the best looking cheerleaders in the CAA for football.

That's a bonus in and of itself.

I'd put Delaware's cheerleaders up against anyone. Their Yummy HOT!

89Hen
October 11th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Most students were in favor of adding football team.
And most inmates are in favor of more yard time. xsmiley_wix OK, bad analogy but that statement is rather silly IMO.

89Hen
October 11th, 2007, 09:57 AM
If this happens does the CAA kick out the other schools that are in the CAA for football only(Villanova, UNH, Maine, URI, UMass? Giving us a 10 team Delaware, Georgia State, Hofstra, JMU, UNC-W, Northeastern, ODU, Towson, ODU and W&M.
If... yes, I'd definitely be in favor of that. But obviously, 'if' is the key word. I'm not saying UNC-W will never have football, but it's probably a long way off. My guess is they will see how ODU does with it... now that I've said that, because I think ODU will have a successful program, I guess I could see UNC-W stepping up. xeyebrowx xthumbsupx

henfan
October 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM
If this happens does the CAA kick out the other schools that are in the CAA for football only(Villanova, UNH, Maine, URI, UMass?

I don't believe there is a mechanism in place to 'kick out' any members. UNH, UMaine, URI & UMass are founding members of this conference, let's remember. They have history & records tied up in this affiliation. You don't just walk away from that. IMO, I think it's looking less and less like anyone is going anywhere, especially with the CAA's excellent administration so far.

And with the playoffs expanding also, the conference is in a better position to get even more at-large bids. No reason for most of the affiliates to go elsewhere, not to mention the ease of conference scheduling.

GannonFan
October 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Hey, after Richmond was added in 1986 the former capital of the Confederacy was therefore in the Yankee Conference. I would've paid money to have a board like this back then to see citdog's reaction.

GannonFan
October 11th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I don't believe there is a mechanism in place to 'kick out' any members. UNH, UMaine, URI & UMass are founding members of this conference, let's remember. They have history & records tied up in this affiliation. You don't just walk away from that. IMO, I think it's looking less and less like anyone is going anywhere, especially with the CAA's excellent administration so far.

And with the playoffs expanding also, the conference is in a better position to get even more at-large bids. No reason for most of the affiliates to go elsewhere, not to mention the ease of conference scheduling.

I agree, at one time it seemed inconceivable to have a conference with 12+ members, but if the playoffs are intent on expanding there's no real need to break the conference up. A playoff system with 24 slots means the CAA would be looking at 6-7 slots per year - no sense forming a different conference then. I think you may see everyone hang around for quite some time since there's no ALeast alternative yet (if that does get launched you may see some defection from the North) but there's nothing on the horizon right now so those schools are staying.

appfan2008
October 11th, 2007, 11:03 AM
6-7 slots per year?

i would say the caa should get about 3-5 if the playoffs were at 24

appfan2008
October 11th, 2007, 11:05 AM
uncw is a great school at a great location but i dont know how well football would do there! whether it is a lack of interest from locals... more interest in the beach... or too many other football schools in the state i dont know how well it will do...

on the other hand it would be the only nc school to offer football on the coast and that could be a major incentive to the athletes like sunshine from remember the titans:)...

BearsCountry
October 11th, 2007, 11:12 AM
If UNCW and Mason get football, if I was the CAA, would keep Richmond and Villanova as the football "replacements" for VCU and Drexel.

GannonFan
October 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM
6-7 slots per year?

i would say the caa should get about 3-5 if the playoffs were at 24

We get 3-4 right now with 12 schools in a 16 team playoff. You add in ODU, GMU, Georgia St, and say for sake of argument UNCW and you have 16 schools. The same ratio then gives you 5-6 schools. But with the imbalanced scheduling that would obviously occur, you're going to have lots of times where some of the real good teams miss each other (like this year with UMass missing most of the good part of the CAA South). If the playoffs went to 24 teams, and say the Big South, NEC, and PFL get an auto, that's still 13 at larges (or 5 more than there are now). Smaller conferences (smaller in number of participants) just don't have that many teams at 8-3 or better (or even 7-4 or better). A bigger conference, like the CAA with its imbalanced schedule, would be much more likely to have more teams at the 7-4 threshold. Therefore, getting 5, 6, or 7 teams won't be outside the realm of possibility. Heck, even at 7 teams that's a lower % of the conference making it than the Gateway did when they had 4 out of 9 make it back in 2003, and that was only with a 16 team playoff.

Watch out, even though posters from the CAA aren't real vocal proponents of expanding the playoffs (and a lot of us aren't) if it does come to pass the CAA may be one of the bigger beneficiaries of the extra at-large slots.

URMite
October 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Hey, after Richmond was added in 1986 the former capital of the Confederacy was therefore in the Yankee Conference. I would've paid money to have a board like this back then to see citdog's reaction.

You should have seen some of the alumni (from the 50s) reaction!

89Hen
October 11th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I don't believe there is a mechanism in place to 'kick out' any members. UNH, UMaine, URI & UMass are founding members of this conference, let's remember.
xeyebrowx Not sure I'd say that. They were founding members of the Yankee conference... that's two generations ago already. This is the CAA's baby now.

89Hen
October 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Watch out, even though posters from the CAA aren't real vocal proponents of expanding the playoffs (and a lot of us aren't) if it does come to pass the CAA may be one of the bigger beneficiaries of the extra at-large slots.
xnodx Yet we still get called 'old guard' for being against expansion. xlolx

URMite
October 11th, 2007, 12:08 PM

So Richmond was never in CAA football? But ODU will be in twice?

andy7171
October 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM
So Richmond was never in CAA football? But ODU will be in twice?
Nit picky! Does Richmond have a football team? xcoolx

henfan
October 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
xeyebrowx Not sure I'd say that. They were founding members of the Yankee conference... that's two generations ago already. This is the CAA's baby now.

Oh, without question this is the CAA's deal now, however... it's hard to ignore conference lineage, all-time records & the point from which our auto-bid originated. Arguably, without the YankCon (and A-10), there would be no CAA or, at the very least, it would likely be a very different conference right now.

The point I was attempting to make was that UMaine, UNH, UMass & Rhody all have a considerable stake in the CAA football league beyond present affiliate membership. That's not to say some or all couldn't or wouldn't move on at some point. They just all have a lot more vested than your typical affiliate members. Right now, there's little impetus for any affiliate school to leave and there certainly will be no "kicking out".

URMite
October 11th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Nit picky! Does Richmond have a football team? xcoolx

:p Sorry, there are just a lot of people at other schools who want us out of CAA football and I don't want to give them a head start.

We started the season with one, just not sure we will finish with one if we keep losing starters. BTW you can thank UNH for a little help on that final drive. They knocked out 2 all conference defenders in the last minute of that game. (Not that I have to tell TU about injuries)

blur2005
October 11th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Great, the CAA will become the college football equivalent to the Big East in college basketball...oh wait, they had like 8 teams get into the tournament last year! xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

WUTNDITWAA
October 11th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Wilmington could add football, leave the CAA and move to the SoCon...just sayin'.xwhistlex

RadMann
October 11th, 2007, 05:45 PM
While I have nothing against UNCW or Georgia State, that is just stretching a conference too far. Why not add Cal Poly while we are at it? Personally, I like the prospect of the old Yankee Conference coming back more than the prospect of adding members so far away. Those schools are far from UD let alone UNH... UD is sort of stuck now that we are all-sports in the CAA, but these are not natural rivalries...

blur2005
October 11th, 2007, 07:20 PM
While I have nothing against UNCW or Georgia State, that is just stretching a conference too far. Why not add Cal Poly while we are at it? Personally, I like the prospect of the old Yankee Conference coming back more than the prospect of adding members so far away. Those schools are far from UD let alone UNH... UD is sort of stuck now that we are all-sports in the CAA, but these are not natural rivalries...
Uh, it's 2007, not 1985. Deal.

mainejeff
October 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Uh, it's 2007, not 1985. Deal.

Just remember that when you guys down South act like you're traveling by horse and buggy to Orono.......xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Deal.

BearsCountry
October 11th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Now correct me if I am wrong but didnt the America East used to have as all-sports members that would have made up the Yankee Conference or sort of one? Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Hofstra, Towson werent they all members of the America East at one time.

Husky Alum
October 11th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Now correct me if I am wrong but didnt the America East used to have as all-sports members that would have made up the Yankee Conference or sort of one? Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Hofstra, Towson werent they all members of the America East at one time.

Oh boy, here we go again...

Yes, BC, you are correct.

However, the AE had conference powers Vermont and Hartford (and UNH) vote against a merger which would have added CAA schools to the America East. The vote against the merger of the CAA and the AE led the "CAA 4" to bolt, and thereafter, NU followed along.

The UD folk at one point in time had a link to the proposal to merge conferences that I think was on UVM's website.

BearsCountry
October 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Oh boy, here we go again...

Yes, BC, you are correct.

However, the AE had conference powers Vermont and Hartford (and UNH) vote against a merger which would have added CAA schools to the America East. The vote against the merger of the CAA and the AE led the "CAA 4" to bolt, and thereafter, NU followed along.

The UD folk at one point in time had a link to the proposal to merge conferences that I think was on UVM's website.

BigApp
October 11th, 2007, 10:05 PM

why not? all your residents are moving there!

RadMann
October 12th, 2007, 05:37 AM
True, like much of Florida, most of the Carolinas will soon be basically the northeast US moved south....

henfan
October 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM
While I have nothing against UNCW or Georgia State, that is just stretching a conference too far... UD is sort of stuck now that we are all-sports in the CAA, but these are not natural rivalries...

UNCW & GSU are CAA conference members already. The conference wouldn't be stretched at all. UD already travels to Wilmington & Atlanta several times a year for Olympic sports. A FB trip or two south every two or four years wouldn't kill us. If anything, FB games between the teams would only serve to foster the all-sport rivalries. Those games aren't any more 'natural' than games vs. UMaine, UNH, UMass or NU.

Besides, UNCW was already a CAA member when UD agreed to join the conference, so we can assume the UD understood what they were getting in to by joining the conference. UD flys to Orono, Durham, Boston & Amherst already. What's the difference between a flight there or Atlanta or Wilmington?

Personally, I think UNCW FB is a longshot at this point. Time will tell. GSU appears well on their way and George Mason will be giving the issue a more serious look. FB is clearly a major initiative for CAA conference members (urban campuses Drexel & VCU being the exceptions.)

Husky Alum
October 12th, 2007, 08:42 AM
It's my understanding that the "affiliate" members of the CAA (UMass, Maine, UNH, URI, Villanova, Richmond) can leave almost at will, and won't have to pay a penalty for their departure - if such a departure were ever to take place.

Now that the CAA sponsors football (and has NU to thank for it), the deal with the affiliates isn't strong at all - and I was told by our former AD that it was intentionally done that way so if the AE wanted to do a football conference, the CAA wouldn't stand in its way.

I believe minimal notice is required for any of the affiliates to depart. The CAA also has ODU in the wings with a football program.

I can't see UNCW ever getting football, and I think Mason may be a longshot. The GSU folks are real hopeful for football, but a FCS team playing its games in the Georgia Dome (at least that's what they're telling people) seems a bit farcial.

89Hen
October 12th, 2007, 08:54 AM
It's my understanding that the "affiliate" members of the CAA (UMass, Maine, UNH, URI, Villanova, Richmond) can leave almost at will, and won't have to pay a penalty for their departure - if such a departure were ever to take place.... and I was told by our former AD that it was intentionally done that way so if the AE wanted to do a football conference, the CAA wouldn't stand in its way.

I believe minimal notice is required for any of the affiliates to depart.
That's a little backwards IMO... the affiliates need the CAA more than the CAA will need the affilitates if these other full CAA members start football. Having no or little notice/penalty for leaving is rather superfluous for lack of a better word. If there is a departure, it will be from the CAA coaxing them out. Henfan always likes to say there is no mechanism in place to kick out the affiliates, but I have to believe it can be done.

89Hen
October 12th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Personally, I think UNCW FB is a longshot at this point. Time will tell.

I can't see UNCW ever getting football, and I think Mason may be a longshot.
I used to agree with those sentiments, but IMO I think ODU's venture into football will be an unqualified success. They are doing all the right things as far as I can tell: consulting with and hiring the right people, being reasonable about facilities and upgrades to them, taking their time to get it right, etc... If I am correct, I think once UNC-W sees ODU's success, they will make a big push to try to duplicate it. They also have a state school to the south in Coastal that has successfully done it. IMO they'd have to think if ODU and Coastal can do it in such relative proximity and similar circumstance... surely we can. xtwocentsx

henfan
October 12th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Henfan always likes to say there is no mechanism in place to kick out the affiliates, but I have to believe it can be done.

Maybe I need to clarify. I'm reasonably sure there would be a mechanism in place to remove a conference member or affiliate for particular violations of league bylaws, etc. However, I seriously doubt affiliates could be forceably removed without legitimate cause. Regardless, that action would be subject to a vote of the entire membership, which would include all of the affiliates.

Husky Alum, I wouldn't be shocked if the CAA and the affiliates came to some agreement prior to assuming control of league that would allow lieniency to members wanting to leave. They very well may have changed the league bylaws to allow members & affiliates to walk away without penalty, but that's highly unlikely. In fact, in the final years of its existence, A-10 league members had voted to stiff impose fines for any team leaving the league without proper notice. If I'm not mistaken, that agreement runs through the 2009 season. Imposing some limits just makes sense from the scheduling standpoint. The intention isn't to be onerous.

If a better deal came along for the affiliates, I'm sure both sides would work something out. There just doesn't apear to be a better deal on the horizon.

89Hen
October 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Maybe I need to clarify. I'm reasonably sure there would be a mechanism in place to remove a conference member or affiliate for particular violations of league bylaws, etc. However, I seriously doubt affiliates could be forceably removed without legitimate cause. Regardless, that action would be subject to a vote of the entire membership, which would include all of the affiliates.
FWIW, the Big East certainly had provisions to be able to forceably remove Temple as a football affiliate... I just think that if the CAA wanted to go that route, they could get it done.

Monarch History
October 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I used to agree with those sentiments, but IMO I think ODU's venture into football will be an unqualified success. They are doing all the right things as far as I can tell: consulting with and hiring the right people, being reasonable about facilities and upgrades to them, taking their time to get it right, etc... If I am correct, I think once UNC-W sees ODU's success, they will make a big push to try to duplicate it. They also have a state school to the south in Coastal that has successfully done it. IMO they'd have to think if ODU and Coastal can do it in such relative proximity and similar circumstance... surely we can. xtwocentsx

One of the things that has helped financially in Old Dominion's revival of football is Foreman Field a 20,000 seat on campus facility. Even with a beautiful old facility, the school is going to spend 24.8 million on renovations.

For UNC-W to get football there has to be a committment from their President and administration. From what I hear that commitment is not present. UNCW would be a great addition to CAA football, but it looks like Georgia State might have a team before UNCW.

Here is a virtual tour of ODU's Foreman Field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYGWJUzy

Monarch History
October 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM
I hope this link works better on ODU's virtual tour of Foreman Field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYGWJUzy-M

89Hen
October 12th, 2007, 10:25 AM
One of the things that has helped financially in Old Dominion's revival of football is Foreman Field a 20,000 seat on campus facility. Even with a beautiful old facility, the school is going to spend 24.8 million on renovations.

For UNC-W to get football there has to be a committment from their President and administration. From what I hear that commitment is not present.
True, but Coastal did it by building a stadium from scratch and I think that almost everyone at UNC-W that may be opposed to football will reevaluate after seeing ODU. xthumbsupx

henfan
October 12th, 2007, 10:31 AM
FWIW, the Big East certainly had provisions to be able to forceably remove Temple as a football affiliate... I just think that if the CAA wanted to go that route, they could get it done.

Temple did violate league rules and were asked to take steps to improve (facilities & attendance) or be removed as an affiliate from the BEC. It's also important to note that the action was voted on & approved by a group of league members; no other affiliates were involved in the vote.

In the case of the CAA, you'd have other affiliates voting to remove fellow affiliates. It's far-fetched to think a team would be removed from our league without committing a clear violation of league rules. Certainly the conference has no criteria for facilities or attendance.

AppChicago
October 12th, 2007, 12:13 PM
How about this?

Coastal joins the SoCon. UNCW adds football and joins the SoCon as well. We get an instant rivalry AND App fans get to go to the beach at least once a year.

T-Dog
October 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
How about this?

Coastal joins the SoCon. UNCW adds football and joins the SoCon as well. We get an instant rivalry AND App fans get to go to the beach at least once a year.

And I get to go home once a year.

In fact, I'm in Wilmington right now. There's plenty of room at the Dub to build a stadium on campus and there wouldn't be too much opposition to them doing it. People like the beach.

Then they need to establish rivalries with CCU and App. CCU in the battle of the beach and App so it's a battle of the beach vs the mountains (and so we can teach them how to be real football fans) xthumbsupx

henfan
October 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Little chance of UNCW going anywhere, especially with the CAA receiving multiple NCAA bids for MBB & WBB the last few years. There's no discussion of UNCW leaving the CAA.

Here's the link regarding the AEC botched takeover of the CAA to which an earlier poster referred:
http://www.uvm.edu/~tpatters/athletics/confexpand_files/frame.htm

AppChicago
October 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Little chance of UNCW going anywhere, especially with the CAA receiving multiple NCAA bids for MBB & WBB the last few years. There's no discussion of UNCW leaving the CAA.

Here's the link regarding the AEC botched takeover of the CAA to which an earlier poster referred:
http://www.uvm.edu/~tpatters/athletics/confexpand_files/frame.htm

A-HA! But that's before they read these compelling posts!

Wait. Someone's whispering something to me about delusions of grandeur. I need to go look those words up.

89Hen
October 12th, 2007, 05:43 PM
In the case of the CAA, you'd have other affiliates voting
Do you know that or are you assuming that?