PDA

View Full Version : 2022 Youngstown St. football season

Paladin1aa
July 31st, 2022, 10:01 PM
The MVFC will soon announce the projected rankings for 2022. Id expect YSU to be placed in the bottom half of the MVFC and consider that fair. My current outlook projects 4-5 wins given the easy early schedule.

With practice about to open, I’ll be updating by positions and critiquing the team. Lots of roster turn over , so there may be much better competition which could improve prospects.

Paladin1aa
August 2nd, 2022, 01:32 PM
As expected, YSU was ranked 9th in the 11 team MVFC preseason poll and that’s fair. They rank ahead of Indiana St. and Western Ill. I would project YSU to beat both of those teams in addition to their first 2 non league games for a 4 win season and a shot at a 5th win with N. Dakota or Ill. St.

The Guins had offensive line problems last year. All starters return and barring injury or one of the new studs beat them out, I project the returning starters as Center - McAllister (305), OGs Parker (280) and Johnson (295) and OTs Williams (310) and Metzler(290). A year of playing together may have improved them, but this was the weakest part of the team, especially in pass blocking. With an All American RB returning, the ground game should be a strength. Add in a returning strong running QB and the OL may look improved. However, depth remains a problem with poor upperclassmen backups that may open up chances for several incomingFrosh to back up the starters and play if injury happens. There are several future OL stars in the Frosh class so while I never look for much help from Frosh OL, this year may be different.

Paladin1aa
August 3rd, 2022, 09:55 AM
YSUs offense will revolve around RB McLaughlin and QB Crenshaw. McLaughlin ran for around 1100 yds and was an effective relief value on passes from Crenshaw. We will see more of the same this year. While Crenshaw was the MVFC Frosh of the year, he needs to show better at passing. His strength is as a runner and YSU throws a lot of play action passes. Most patterns were short underneath throws to backs and TEs. This was because of limited pass protection from the OL. If that improves they may have WRs that they can be more effective throwing to. New transfers have come in from FBS programs and WR abilities are improved. A Mich. St. TE transfer also adds to the arsenal.

Id look for more wins coming from better red zone results this year and improving the passing attack to go with the strong run game from the RB and QB. For sure, both have to stay healthy as there is a severe drop off in abilities in the back ups. Some Frosh show real potential but the upper class RBs and QBs simply aren’t very good. Injuries to either position will leave a weak O that will severely limit their chances to win.

Paladin1aa
August 3rd, 2022, 10:23 AM
The WRs and TEs should be better this year. Oliver, a returning transfer from Kentucky and incoming transfer Fordham from E. Mich. will play a lot. Returning TE Benio was effective both blocking and receiving. New Mich St. TE transfer Gillison,6’4, 250 will add to YSUs attack. He played 25 games for Mich St and had 6 starts. He also is a former h.s. Team mate of Crenshaw where they won an Ohio big school state title together. Crenshaw favors him in the pass game. Add in returning slot WR Charleston and YSU has the mix to improve the pass game.

The incoming Frosh class has a number of players at both WRs and TEs that may get play time over the upper class back ups. Both groups are strong and an upgrade in abilities over much of the roster. Future here looks very good.

The Yo Show
August 3rd, 2022, 10:38 AM
I was encouraged to see DP's comments about how the OL has bulked up (last fall could count on one hand the number of OL that were at least 300lbs, now after spring Strength and conditioning, out of 20 OL, only 3 are NOT at least 300 lbs). I think the o-line is going to be improved and exactly how much it has improved is going to go a long way towards knowing how well this team will do this year.

Paladin1aa
August 3rd, 2022, 10:50 AM
Take DPs comments with a grain of salt. While added size is nice, it did nothing to improve their abilities. For sure the returning starters (5) should be better after a year of playing together. I expect them to be better. But size alone in the backups doesn’t improve pass blocking or dominating run blocking. Techniques and strength do. Sadly, most are not ready for prime time. They are thin on the OL. You heard it here first.

Paladin1aa
August 3rd, 2022, 11:14 AM
YSU strength lies in the secondary this year. Last years D gave up over 35 points a game. That has to improve. New DC this year may help. YSU returns a number of starters plus have added some exceptional transfers. Former Ohio St. S transfer Hooker, an HM B1G player is a big time player. So too is Burr, a transfer from Lafayette where he played 35 games with 26 starts for the Leopards. Burr is a former Ohio All state player from Avon Lake returning home. Add in starters from Lenton, Jakubec, Augustin, Blake and Payne. YSU looks to have great abilities and is deep.

To be sure, the incoming Frosh look very good. Would not be surprised to see several play special teams getting them groomed for future play.

If YSU front gets pressure on the QB, the secondary will provide good coverage skills to iNT or bat down passes. Run support also looks to be pretty strong. Without a doubt, this is the strength of this years D.

Paladin1aa
August 3rd, 2022, 01:16 PM
The DL isn’t a strength but not a limp wrist either. They returner starters at DE in Wudke and Jackson. Their backups in the rotation, Allen and Lehrmann, also return. Wudke is probably the best but nothing here jumps out as outstanding. At DTs, Fitzgerald returns as a starter. They lost Stafford to UConn. Transferring in is Crider from Toledo and JUCO Lee.

The group as a whole is simply pedestrian with no real star or stand out. If they can stay healthy and play well as a group they won’t hurt us and may help with a years experience. The roster doesn’t show much help but again there are a few Frosh who may be better in a few years than what we have now. For sure, they can’t continue to give up over 35 points a game. Expect them to be better.

Paladin1aa
August 3rd, 2022, 01:50 PM
Last but not least, the LBs look to be decent. Multi-year starter Hoak, 6’1, 220 returns. Add in WIU transfer Benton, a 6’1, 230 preseason MVFC 2nd team selection. Then add Freeman, a 6’3, 230 transfer from Charlestown where he was dominant. We also return both Howard, 6’2, 230 and Pasco who both played a lot. And YSU recruited a TON of outstanding Frosh LBs, more than any other position. Some may be good enough to start now. However with experienced capable players, many will be red shirted. Some may end up playing.

While I list the secondary as the strongest unit, this LB group was just edged out. Expecting good things from them. The new DC played and coached at Bowling Green where they turn their LBs loose and created havoc with Os. With athletic LBs here, we may see the same.

Paladin1aa
August 3rd, 2022, 09:29 PM
Here’s my preseason outlook for the YSU schedule-

Duquesne ————- YSU favored

Dayton —————— YSU favored

Kentucky —————- YSU underdog

NDSU ——————— YSU underdog

N. Dakota ————— toss up

Indiana St ————— YSU favored

W. Illinois —————- YSU favored

S. Dakota —————- YSU underdog

Illinois St —————— toss up

Missouri St —————- YSU underdog

S. Illinois ——————- YSU underdog

Potentially 4 wins, 5 losses, 2 toss ups . If they stay healthy and improve, they might win 5 games. Anything beyond that will be a staggering success. They appear to be a year away from returning to winning record and solid shot at playoffs. But don’t see it for this year.

MR. CHICKEN
August 4th, 2022, 08:37 AM
DON'T YOUSE TWO HAVE UH PHONE??...........BRAWK!

Paladin1aa
August 5th, 2022, 11:09 AM
YSU brought in a solid Frosh class. It’s fun to speculate who might play immediately. Here’s my outlook considering who they would play behind and considering injuries might limit them. That’s not to say other Frosh not could with a season or two under their belt break out to stardom in future years. But chance to play now -

DBs - the Julius brothers, 6’2, 180........6’3, 195

TE - McDonald. 6’4, 245

WR - Keneally , 6’6, 210

TB - Whatley ,5’9 ,185

OL - Korody , 6’4, 280

OL - Keen, 6’4 , 285

DL - Boyd , 6’2 ,280

Given the quality of the Frosh recruits, red shirting would not be surprising. It’s a monster class.

BeamMeUp
August 5th, 2022, 06:00 PM
What are your thoughts on the 4 star WR Tayshawn Trent? Can he play right away?

Paladin1aa
August 5th, 2022, 06:34 PM
What are your thoughts on the 4 star WR Tayshawn Trent? Can he play right away?

Trent is a special talent. 6’4,220. As I noted, it depends on who the Frosh are playing behind. They love the Kentucky transfer Oliver. I suspect they will give every opportunity to E. Mich transfer Fordham to start. Those two should start. Charleston will be in the slot. Trent probably plays if injury or problems occur on the outside. He will play, as several of the Frosh will ,just to the limit to keep their red shirts. Don’t know the coaches overall plan for this class, but these guys will be in the playoffs soon. Not this year, but very possibly next year. How much they want to stockpile for full 4 year playing decides how they play most of the Frosh. Trent, I’m sure, can play now and may very well win a starting position. He is big, fast, great hands, runs good routes and gets separation. Trent had a lot of solid offers, rated a 3-4 star player, so he has a pedigree. It also boils down to how they play the QB this year. Crenshaws strength is his legs. They limited him last year to short underneath throws to the backs and tight ends. If they feel he is better prepared with a stronger arm, we may see them throw more to the WRs and that opens it up for Trent. Potentially, he may be the best home run threat we have. Oliver is more of a possession WR. Fordham was limited at E. Mich and came here to be a #1 threat on the long ball. Trent, I am sure can play either way. So with injuries or abject failure from the transfer WRs, he could be starting. It will be fun watching how it developes.

BeamMeUp
August 5th, 2022, 08:14 PM
Trent is a special talent. 6’4,220. As I noted, it depends on who the Frosh are playing behind. They love the Kentucky transfer Oliver. I suspect they will give every opportunity to E. Mich transfer Fordham to start. Those two should start. Charleston will be in the slot. Trent probably plays if injury or problems occur on the outside. He will play, as several of the Frosh will ,just to the limit to keep their red shirts. Don’t know the coaches overall plan for this class, but these guys will be in the playoffs soon. Not this year, but very possibly next year. How much they want to stockpile for full 4 year playing decides how they play most of the Frosh. Trent, I’m sure, can play now and may very well win a starting position. He is big, fast, great hands, runs good routes and gets separation. Trent had a lot of solid offers, rated a 3-4 star player, so he has a pedigree. It also boils down to how they play the QB this year. Crenshaws strength is his legs. They limited him last year to short underneath throws to the backs and tight ends. If they feel he is better prepared with a stronger arm, we may see them throw more to the WRs and that opens it up for Trent. Potentially, he may be the best home run threat we have. Oliver is more of a possession WR. Fordham was limited at E. Mich and came here to be a #1 threat on the long ball. Trent, I am sure can play either way. So with injuries or abject failure from the transfer WRs, he could be starting. It will be fun watching how it developes.
Good problems to have. Need to keep our QB injury free as I do fear a substantial drop-off at that position

Paladin1aa
August 6th, 2022, 08:30 AM
Good problems to have. Need to keep our QB injury free as I do fear a substantial drop-off at that position

You know it. This is the worst position recruiting at YSU for decades. Crenshaw is it and nothing is close. Even he is still suspect. QB for 2 Ohio big school state titles, he had a ton of offers from Major D-Is but they wanted him as a RB. At 6’1, 220, he excels as a runner. Came to YSU because they promised to play him at QB.

Davidson, the backup has only played QB for 2 games and spent the rest of his time as a holder. At 6’4, 205, his weakness is he is not very mobile, not a strong runner, has accuracy problems and limited arm strength.

The other QBs are both Frosh. Brungard, 6’0, 200 I see as a DB. But Daddy was a QB on 2 YSU National Champs and this is a legacy recruit. Had good numbers in h.s. Playing at small school Springfield where he lead them to 2 state champ games, losing both to Carey and Coldwater. Blanc, 6’5, 205 from Bethel Park, Pa., I view as a project. Limited numbers in h.s. Until his senior year when he had breakout numbers. Yet when you see him, he has flaws, needs work, isn’t very mobile and doesn’t really project for this level of play.

Interesting to note, last year QB Alexander has been converted to WR. Never saw him as a QB for this level, but the kid is very athletic and at 6’2, 210 may contribute. Good hands, speed and with some work, might see the field on special teams.

So in a nutshell, you are right. If Crenshaw goes down, we are in deep do do.

Paladin1aa
August 7th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Looking at the TBs, we have a similar problem as QB. McLaughlin, 5’9, 195 is an All American with great skill, but there is little behind him. McLaughlin has escapability and needs it behind our line. Much of his gains came from reversing the field, running away from the point of attack where blocking had failed and using speed, cut backs, and great balance to earn big chunks of yards. Has great field vision. Good hands so they will throw to him.

He will be backed up by Rushton,5’11, 190 from Liberty and Walker, 5’10, 195 from Ursuline. Neither is in McLaughlins class. Smith, 5’8, 165 from Fitch is used exclusively in the kick return game. We also have Mitchell from Steubenville, Edmunds and Harris. Not sure they will see the field.

The Frosh have two potential stars. I like Whatley, 5’9, 185 from Glenville, a scatback type like McLaughlin and Linberger,5’10, 215, a power back from Akron SVSM. I suspect redshirts here but playing time would not surprise me.

McLaughlin has to stay healthy or this position leads to subpar O output. If he does stay healthy, YSU should be in a lot of games even if they lose .

Paladin1aa
August 11th, 2022, 01:32 PM
A little update - players seem to like new DC Brown and his style of D that he brings. Brown was a 4 year starter at Bowling Green and also coached there when they won the MAC and played in 2 bowl games. As a DC, lead D-II Notre Dame College to 2 years of playoffs and then lead D-II Lenior Rhyne to the playoffs as well. BTW, Brown played at Cleveland Benedictine in h.s., so Guins fans should know his level of play was fairly high.

YSU needs to improve over last season where they gave up over 35 points a game. That should happen. YSU returns a ton of starters. Besides returning all the secondary, they return most of the LBs and DL. And besides some Juco D players coming in, they add former Ohio State All B1G HM Marcus Hooker at S and former W. Illinois LB Benton, 6’1, 230, a preseason All MVFC pick. They also appear to have more depth this year on D.

What I think you will see is far fewer points given up per game. That should help YSU to be competitive and be in more games. If they stay healthy, I may have to inch up projected wins from the current outlook of 4-5 wins to 6. Beyond that is anyone’s guess. I look for YSU to win their first two non conference games , then lose to Kentucky and NDSU to be 2-2 entering the meat of the MVFC schedule where they will play ALL of the lower half teams picked in the preseason poll. Might get interesting.

ysubigred
August 11th, 2022, 09:26 PM
A little update - players seem to like new DC Brown and his style of D that he brings. Brown was a 4 year starter at Bowling Green and also coached there when they won the MAC and played in 2 bowl games. As a DC, lead D-II Notre Dame College to 2 years of playoffs and then lead D-II Lenior Rhyne to the playoffs as well. BTW, Brown played at Cleveland Benedictine in h.s., so Guins fans should know his level of play was fairly high.

YSU needs to improve over last season where they gave up over 35 points a game. That should happen. YSU returns a ton of starters. Besides returning all the secondary, they return most of the LBs and DL. And besides some Juco D players coming in, they add former Ohio State All B1G HM Marcus Hooker at S and former W. Illinois LB Benton, 6’1, 230, a preseason All MVFC pick. They also appear to have more depth this year on D.

What I think you will see is far fewer points given up per game. That should help YSU to be competitive and be in more games. If they stay healthy, I may have to inch up projected wins from the current outlook of 4-5 wins to 6. Beyond that is anyone’s guess. I look for YSU to win their first two non conference games , then lose to Kentucky and NDSU to be 2-2 entering the meat of the MVFC schedule where they will play ALL of the lower half teams picked in the preseason poll. Might get interesting.Well as anybody knows D wins championships.. I'm a bit more optimistic.. not quite a homer but if the Guins say healthy I'm seeing 7 W's.. the O needs to do their part and stay relatively penalty free and clean up untimely turn overs.. review last years games the O seemed to start the dumpster [emoji91]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The Yo Show
August 12th, 2022, 08:48 AM

I assume I am one of the two this comment was directed at as I the only other person to comment on page 1 of this thread... I just commented because it was here, and yes I do have a phone and ironically I post on here using it xdrunkyx.

- - - Updated - - -

Well as anybody knows D wins championships.. I'm a bit more optimistic.. not quite a homer but if the Guins say healthy I'm seeing 7 W's.. the O needs to do their part and stay relatively penalty free and clean up untimely turn overs.. review last years games the O seemed to start the dumpster [emoji91]

Will be interesting to see if the offense runs better this year. I'm not sold on the offensive coordinator, but I know the problems last year with the offense were not just on him. He did have weird play calling though.

caribbeanhen
August 12th, 2022, 09:44 AM

haha

I’m sure they do Mr. chicken but we are privy to their private conversation

In all seriousness, Things must be looking up in Youngstown because usually they give a pretty honest assessment about the happenings of Eastern Ohio

I’ll never forget Delawares great come back win in 1979, Penguidos we’re up on the Hens 31 to 7 at halftime, but Disco Lou Mariani unleashed the top 40 on Youngstown state in the second half.

Great game

Paladin1aa
August 12th, 2022, 11:07 AM
haha

I’m sure they do Mr. chicken but we are privy to their private conversation

In all seriousness, Things must be looking up in Youngstown because usually they give a pretty honest assessment about the happenings of Eastern Ohio

I’ll never forget Delawares great come back win in 1979, Penguidos we’re up on the Hens 31 to 7 at halftime, but Disco Lou Mariani unleashed the top 40 on Youngstown state in the second half.

Great game

Let me continue with that honest assessment - YSU while down recently does appear to be on the swing back. However, it must be noted that it’s because they are in the MVFC. Outside of the MVFC they do pretty well and curb stomp much of FCS that they play. The MVFC has had them playing all the top MVFC teams for quite awhile. This year , they will miss playing rated teams in SDSU and UNI. They will play ALL bottom half of the league teams, according to their poll, which gives them a chance at improving their overall record. Much of FCS does not fare well against most of the MVFC, including YSU but many have their overall record hurt with the league schedule. Translation - YSU has been down because of the MVFC schedule, and not when playing the other few non conference FCS teams. YSU could schedule most of FCS and beat most of them, earning a well deserved rank but the reality is the MVFC schedule is the only thing holding them down. It appears we are on the cusps of changing that. I think we are a year away from playoffs again but could be wrong given a lighter league schedule this year. We will see. That’s why we play the games.

Paladin1aa
August 14th, 2022, 10:57 AM
YSU held its first team scrimmage with the D winning 27-21. Most of the players I’ve discussed played and stood out. Only exception is McLaughlin who was held out from playing. Team does appear to be much improved over last year. That comes from much experience returning and addition of transfers and Jucos.

At this point, I expect them to roll in the first 2 games. What follows in the Kentucky and NDSU games should be predictive of the remaining season. If they are competitive and in close ball games, YSU will win often. If not, they will yo yo up and down over remaining schedule. Exception to this is injury to QB or RB. Lose either and all bets are off. If they stay healthy,YSU has a winning record. Either way, they are better than the projected 9th place pick in the MVFC poll.

The real interest is to see how many Frosh make the announced two deep for each game. Many have the ability. Now it’s just acclimating to the college systems and getting reps. Monster class.

The Yo Show
August 14th, 2022, 01:28 PM
That was an interesting part of the reporting on the scrimmage from the local media is coach DP's comments about building depth, evaluating the young players ensuring they get reps to see who can help in the season. I generally agree with your above comments, but will say if YSU loses big to Kentucky I won't be all that down. Kentucky is looking to be the #2 spot in the SEC East.

The Yo Show
August 15th, 2022, 07:22 AM
Ok, I would like to amend my last statement. Kentucky plays Florida the week before YSU... could be a close game again, much like Kentucky had against Chattanooga last year.

Paladin1aa
August 15th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Ok, I would like to amend my last statement. Kentucky plays Florida the week before YSU... could be a close game again, much like Kentucky had against Chattanooga last year.

Now you are catching on, Yo. Also remember Stoops connections to Ytown. There are friends on each sidelines and they will not purposely look to “smash” YSU. It also gives Stoops a chance to play backups for experience and evaluate them for SEC play. Translation - factors should make it a comfortable win for Kentucky but if YSU doesn’t play up, they will get embarrassed.

ysubigred
August 15th, 2022, 08:49 PM
Ole.. KY is getting a preseason #20..

"IF" the Guins can stay within 31 I'll be satisfied.
I'd say YSU is better than last year, MSU is not as good as KY, so it should look about the same type of game for the $$..

The Yo Show
August 16th, 2022, 09:06 PM
Well, CJ Charleston was injured in camp today per Dana Balash. Possibly indefinite injury period. Here's hoping for a good update, and a quick recovery

ysubigred
August 16th, 2022, 10:01 PM
Well, CJ Charleston was injured in camp today per Dana Balash. Possibly indefinite injury period. Here's hoping for a good update, and a quick recoveryHate to see any players hurt BUT CJ wasn't too much of a factor for success IMO,, caught 16 passes for 147 yards last year [emoji848]

Unless you had a break out year predicted?

IDK you know better than I. I hope he's 100% by the season start.

The Yo Show
August 17th, 2022, 06:54 AM
I don't really know all that much, but my take is he was going to be a factor for the offense this year. Either way, I think there is depth behind him, but it certainly hurts to lose him.

caribbeanhen
August 17th, 2022, 09:30 AM
Let me continue with that honest assessment - YSU while down recently does appear to be on the swing back. However, it must be noted that it’s because they are in the MVFC. Outside of the MVFC they do pretty well and curb stomp much of FCS that they play. The MVFC has had them playing all the top MVFC teams for quite awhile. This year , they will miss playing rated teams in SDSU and UNI. They will play ALL bottom half of the league teams, according to their poll, which gives them a chance at improving their overall record. Much of FCS does not fare well against most of the MVFC, including YSU but many have their overall record hurt with the league schedule. Translation - YSU has been down because of the MVFC schedule, and not when playing the other few non conference FCS teams. YSU could schedule most of FCS and beat most of them, earning a well deserved rank but the reality is the MVFC schedule is the only thing holding them down. It appears we are on the cusps of changing that. I think we are a year away from playoffs again but could be wrong given a lighter league schedule this year. We will see. That’s why we play the games.

I know you do good outside of the MVFC
I was all for including you in the playoffs as you’re probably better than half of teams that were in it.

I know there’s been talk that Youngstown would be better off moving to another conference and I get it because several member of Wings eventually had to leave the band to escape the tight grip of the living legend

Paladin1aa
August 17th, 2022, 01:06 PM
I know you do good outside of the MVFC
I was all for including you in the playoffs as you’re probably better than half of teams that were in it.

I know there’s been talk that Youngstown would be better off moving to another conference and I get it because several member of Wings eventually had to leave the band to escape the tight grip of the living legend

Good laugh. Unfortunately there are diehards here who would move to the OVC ( we were there before many years ago). Anything to win. But it wouldn’t be the same National profile program if they did that. The greatest concern is in the travel costs to all the Dakotas. YSU would be better off with an East division of the MVFC to cut costs. Don’t see them leaving, just getting better. And throw in a new AD who doesn’t help.

Paladin1aa
August 17th, 2022, 01:14 PM
I don't really know all that much, but my take is he was going to be a factor for the offense this year. Either way, I think there is depth behind him, but it certainly hurts to lose him.

In fact, Tomczak caught passes for more than 80 yards and a TD in the scrimmage. So there is some depth.

caribbeanhen
August 17th, 2022, 01:25 PM
Good laugh. Unfortunately there are diehards here who would move to the OVC ( we were there before many years ago). Anything to win. But it wouldn’t be the same National profile program if they did that. The greatest concern is in the travel costs to all the Dakotas. YSU would be better off with an East division of the MVFC to cut costs. Don’t see them leaving, just getting better. And throw in a new AD who doesn’t help.

East Division? I like it

Part of the new one that will be forming up after the CAA defections that are coming ....

BeamMeUp
August 17th, 2022, 05:03 PM
In fact, Tomczak caught passes for more than 80 yards and a TD in the scrimmage. So there is some depth.
Guessing the son of the volunteer coach we have who spent time in nfl?

Paladin1aa
August 17th, 2022, 08:31 PM
Guessing the son of the volunteer coach we have who spent time in nfl?

Dont know. I’m guessing that’s correct. Both are from the same Illinois area but Mike Tomczak was divorced. Max is just a RFR. Tomczak was a former Ohio St. QB who spent 14 years in NFL, was an OC for an Arena League team for 4 years and has been a volunteer coach at YSU since 2017. Tomczak is a multi- millionaire and dabbles in a sports management company representing athletes and does some sports broadcasting in Pittsburgh area.

Max certainly played lights out in the scrimmage. He will play a lot.

BeamMeUp
August 18th, 2022, 09:08 PM
Dont know. I’m guessing that’s correct. Both are from the same Illinois area but Mike Tomczak was divorced. Max is just a RFR. Tomczak was a former Ohio St. QB who spent 14 years in NFL, was an OC for an Arena League team for 4 years and has been a volunteer coach at YSU since 2017. Tomczak is a multi- millionaire and dabbles in a sports management company representing athletes and does some sports broadcasting in Pittsburgh area.

Max certainly played lights out in the scrimmage. He will play a lot.
I did not know he had that kind of wealth and that he does broadcasting down in Pittsburgh. Thanks for sharing!

Paladin1aa
August 21st, 2022, 11:30 AM
YSU held its final full scrimmage and put on an explosion of scoring. McLaughlin played and ran wild. They threw to the WRs and got multiple long scores. Tomczak replaced the injured Charleston in the slot and had another good day. They are definitely improved over last year and show some depth. The OL has to stay healthy however.

Still think they are a year away from playoffs, but you never know. Easier league schedule is a wild card.

The Yo Show
August 21st, 2022, 02:44 PM
Crenshaw finished the scrimmage 16-of-18 for 275 yards and three touchdowns, while Oliver nabbed five catches for 129 yards and a score. Hensley caught four passes for 88 yards, and Fordham snagged five catches for 48 yards.
Oliver also had a 74 yard TD.
McLaughlin racked up 130 yards on six carries.

Hmmm... I am both happy and concerned. Usually defense is ahead of the offense. While I'm glad to see the offense doing well, I'm now worried the defense is going to be bad again. Thoughts paladin?

Paladin1aa
August 21st, 2022, 03:19 PM
I hear you, Yo. Remember the D won the first scrimmage. McLaughlin didn’t play. They didn’t throw much to the WRs. It was set up where the D had the upper hand.

Just a guess - McLaughlin only had 6 carries. One for 50 yds and another for 68 yds. That left him with 12 yds on 4 carries. I expect an All American to flash his skills. He is going to tear up again. The key is YSU may now have a pass attack. Crenshaw has gotten better, much better. He was a true Frosh last year.Our OL is experienced and may be better for run and pass blocking. Our DL is not our strong point. The secondary is pretty good and LBs not bad. The scrimmage placed emphasis on the pass game, not the run game. So hard to tell. But I think we are MUCH better on O this year. Transfer WRs paying off.

I still think we are a year away from playoffs but remember we play ALL the projected bottom half of the MVFC, not all the top half like we have been. No SDSU. No UNI. There may be big surprises.

They have to defend the run better than last year. No one needs to pass if they can ram the ball down your throat. Thats why a good showing early against NDSU is important. Be competitive. We may be harder for teams to defend, including ourselves.

BeamMeUp
August 28th, 2022, 07:34 PM
YSU hosts Duquesne Saturday at Stambaugh. Hoping for great weather, a decent crowd, no injuries, and a convincing Penguin victory.