PDA

View Full Version : UNH 17 Cal Poly 13

ChickenMan
September 4th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Anyone see the game.... looks like UNH had to score in the last minute to win
here's a link to the stats... 4 turnovers for UNH... 5 for Cal.. yardage stats were pretty even... but stats don't always tell the true tale...

any first hand info...???

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores105/105246/NCAAF144931.htm

Hansel
September 4th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Poly or Davis ;)

ChickenMan
September 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM
my mistake... Davis... :o

charliej
September 4th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I heard the game on the net.Not taking anything from a tough Davis D,but Santos DEFINATELY had an off night.Alot of over/underthrown passes.Wasn't till late in the game that they really started to connect.

blukeys
September 4th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I too listened to the game and only wish that Santos would have played that poorly a year ago at the Tub. UNH turned the ball over going in for a touchdown and lost the ball on downs on another occasion. Davis also had its share of turnovers and also lost the ball on downs in a drive. Both teams had their share of opening game mistakes. The UNH - Davis thread catalogues the game well.

lucchesicourt
September 4th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Sometimes a QB may have an off night, and sometimes a little of his off night may be due to the quality of the defense, wouldn't you say?

OrneryAggie
September 4th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I'd love to say that UNH is rightfully a top 10 team and the aggies close loss means they're worthy of a top 20 ranking but it just ain't so. Neither of these teams impressed me. I've seen less slop on a hog farm. It's easy to see how a balanced and consistent team like Montana could walk all over UNH last season. I understand that Ball was a little hurt, he seemed to be walking gingerly at times, but I would take the aggie receiving corps in a second over the UNH group I saw last night. If only we had a QB who wouldn't fumble the ball under center everyother play and who wouldn't underthrow the good hands who had an easy height and step advantage over the UNH D. It seemed he was trying to place the ball instead of just airing it out and letting the receivers make the plays they're capable of. And don't even get me started on the kicker, a missed PAT and missed FG equals a tie game. The coaches had so little confidence that they went for it on 4th & 3 in the red zone later in the game. Even though they didn't convert it was the smart thing to do.

For those of you who've never seen the aggies play, here's a little observation from an alum who's only missed one home game in the past decade. The aggie D is notorious for playing 3 tough quarters of D against the good teams then acting like the autobahn and letting everyone drive as fast as they want in the 4th. It happened against SFA last year. In 2000 the ags gave up 29 unanswered points in the 4th to Bloomsburg in the DII semi's. It just seems to be their M.O. in big games. I'll give some credit to Santos for finding his open men but that was just blown D by the ags. All game aggie LB's had stuffed the short passing game, the line applied good pressure, and the DB's had managed to front their receivers. Then UNH goes to their 2 minute drill and the aggies implode. I wish I were a football guru like Ron Jaworski so I could break down the change in aggie defensive playcalling in the 4th but you all will just have to take my word for it. I'm sorry for the rant but it's very frustrating to see a talented and disciplined team like the ags consistently lose control down the stretch.

Most everyone knew this game would come down to the wire and the last score would be the winning one. So I guess the Ag's biggest mistake of the night was leaving too much time on the clock (1:31) after their last TD. Driving 84 yards in under 50 seconds, how do you let that happen?

dwtime
September 4th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I'd love to say that UNH is rightfully a top 10 team and the aggies close loss means they're worthy of a top 20 ranking but it just ain't so. Neither of these teams impressed me. I've seen less slop on a hog farm. It's easy to see how a balanced and consistent team like Montana could walk all over UNH last season. I understand that Ball was a little hurt, he seemed to be walking gingerly at times, but I would take the aggie receiving corps in a second over the UNH group I saw last night. If only we had a QB who wouldn't fumble the ball under center everyother play and who wouldn't underthrow the good hands who had an easy height and step advantage over the UNH D. It seemed he was trying to place the ball instead of just airing it out and letting the receivers make the plays they're capable of. And don't even get me started on the kicker, a missed PAT and missed FG equals a tie game. The coaches had so little confidence that they went for it on 4th & 3 in the red zone later in the game. Even though they didn't convert it was the smart thing to do.

For those of you who've never seen the aggies play, here's a little observation from an alum who's only missed one home game in the past decade. The aggie D is notorious for playing 3 tough quarters of D against the good teams then acting like the autobahn and letting everyone drive as fast as they want in the 4th. It happened against SFA last year. In 2000 the ags gave up 29 unanswered points in the 4th to Bloomsburg in the DII semi's. It just seems to be their M.O. in big games. I'll give some credit to Santos for finding his open men but that was just blown D by the ags. All game aggie LB's had stuffed the short passing game, the line applied good pressure, and the DB's had managed to front their receivers. Then UNH goes to their 2 minute drill and the aggies implode. I wish I were a football guru like Ron Jaworski so I could break down the change in aggie defensive playcalling in the 4th but you all will just have to take my word for it. I'm sorry for the rant but it's very frustrating to see a talented and disciplined team like the ags consistently lose control down the stretch.

Most everyone knew this game would come down to the wire and the last score would be the winning one. So I guess the Ag's biggest mistake of the night was leaving too much time on the clock (1:31) after their last TD. Driving 84 yards in under 50 seconds, how do you let that happen?

Sounds like sour grapes to me, sad that the home town refs couldn't give you the game at the end?

I'm sure every team in the A-10 would rather see the Aggie WR's on UNH than Ball too. First game of the year after flying 3000 miles, no they did not look like top 10 or even top 25 but the UNH offense will be just fine thank you very much and we will keep our receivers too.

blukeys
September 4th, 2005, 11:22 PM

Obviously you have never seen an A-10 game. This happens ALL THE TIME. Especially if UNH is involved

ngineer
September 4th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Obviously you have never seen an A-10 game. This happens ALL THE TIME. Especially if UNH is involved

You got that right. I can't remember the number of times I've heard A-10 scores being announced that are relatively low scoring and tight until the fourth quarter and all hell breaks loose. It's almost like 2 1/2 hours of foreplay before the frantic finish. :D

blukeys
September 4th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Sometimes a QB may have an off night, and sometimes a little of his off night may be due to the quality of the defense, wouldn't you say?

Sorry Lucchesi I didn't get to watch the game so I am at a disadvantage. I listened to the Davis audio feed and based on this and my first hand view of Santos in '04 I say Santos had an off night until the last drive.

It is truly hard to assess any football team based on their 1st game of the season. I saw this as a very below average performance BY BOTH TEAMS. I will keep an open mind and watch what UNH, Davis and Poly do in the upcoming weeks. But, In all honesty I don't think much can be learned from this one game.

OrneryAggie
September 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM

If that's the A-10 gameplan then every A-10 team should schedule UCD because blowing 4th quarter leads seems to be standard procedure in aggieland.

I don't know what the radio announcers were telling you but Santos didn't look bad at all. I'll forgive you for believing them but my mom could call a better game than those schmucks. Santos completed nearly 70% of his passes even under constant pressure from the aggie front 4. His first INT looked to be a blown route by the receiver and not just a dumb throw. The thing that did't impress were the UNH receivers who were supposed to be able to shake off the D with ease. For 55 minutes they couldn't do a damn thing (254yds total offense) and then the Ags went to their prevent D. (by 'prevent D' I mean prevent the ags from holding a lead) The prevent D is what left Levan wide open in midfield and allowed him to run another 20yards after the catch to set up McCoy's rushing TD. The prevent D is why Cook got burned on the sideline by Ball for a 40yd gain on the final drive. It's a shame that a great defensive effort was overshadowed by 5 minutes of bad playcalling.

Williams is a good TE and I can see Ball definitely being a threat but I still say this game was blown by the Ags more than won by cats. The fact of the matter is that if the Ags didn't have butterfingers this game would've been over in the 3rd. I expect to see a Thank You card and flowers from the wildcats for the aggies' gift later this week.

And for anyone 'watching the game' at home in front of the computer who feels they can question the hometown refs just ask your coach for the gametape and take a look at the call. The head linesman ruled the ball down and had called for 2nd down before the wildcats grabbed the football and started jumping around like maniacs. The head linesman and referee both had the correct angle on the play but the referee didn't make a call until talking with the umpire and linesman. If there was any confusion it was because the referee didn't make an initial call on the play.

blukeys
September 5th, 2005, 04:08 PM
For 55 minutes they couldn't do a damn thing (254yds total offense) and then the Ags went to their prevent D. (by 'prevent D' I mean prevent the ags from holding a lead) The prevent D is what left Levan wide open in midfield and allowed him to run another 20yards after the catch to set up McCoy's rushing TD. The prevent D is why Cook got burned on the sideline by Ball for a 40yd gain on the final drive. It's a shame that a great defensive effort was overshadowed by 5 minutes of bad playcalling.

No doubt your defensive coordinator was hired from Delaware as this is our MO as well. Our prevent D is constantly preventing folks from leaving any game we lead by 3 TD's.