PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky predictions-Week 7

JALMOND
October 11th, 2007, 12:58 AM
So here it is week 7 already and the Big Sky has come down to the State of Montana show (Big Sky aptly named as it is also Montana's state nickname). Four exciting games on the panel for this weekend and Portland State is the only one taking the weekend off. So far I am sitting at 32-4 for the year. Only PSU's failed gamble last week prevented me from having another perfect weekend (more ways than one). Anyway, here are this week's conference predictions...

ISU @ NAU---The Bengals have found a little offense having scored 20 points against Montana State and 26 against Northern Colorado. The Jacks defense seems to have taken a couple weeks off, allowing 38 against Sacramento State and 44 against Portland State. Things shaping up for a shootout at Flagstaff so don't bet against the Jacks at 7000+ feet...NAU 52, ISU 30.

WSU @ UNC---How's this for defense for the Wildcats, UM's offense scored only one touchdown, MSU's offense scored only one touchdown, and Sac State scored only one touchdown. For UNC, a little hope in that its homecoming in Greeley, not just for the festivities, but also because their last four games have been on the road. Will it really make a difference?...WSU 24, UNC 7.

OK, thank you everyone. We will see you...oh wait, there's more. The two best games in the conference.

UM @ Sac State---The Griz struggled in their first two conference games, but still got the wins. Now they go on the road for the first time all year to face Sac State, a team the Griz have traditionally done pretty well against. The Hornets are a tough bunch to figure out, having destroyed NAU in their last game at home, yet were demolished last week at Weber. Still, home is a great place to be, especially in conference...Sac State 24, UM 21.

MSU @ EWU---EWU has played well all year, yet a 3-2 record is not indicative of that. Great efforts against Montana and Portland State have seen heartbreak in the last moments of each game. MSU has seen their games through, yet the offense has been late to show up, if at all. Could that come to haunt the Cats?...EWU 24, MSU 10.

Putting my record and my neck on the line but it is always tough to win on the road in conference and Sac State and EWU both have the tools to pull off an upset, especially with both playing at home. Good luck to all and for once, I don't have to be too stressed this week.

I Bleed Purple
October 11th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Keep in mind for predictions is that our new starting quarterback looks to be suspended.

Seems to have been an incident involving five fingered discounts at the bookstore.

Not pleased.

TokyoGriz
October 11th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Keep in mind for predictions is that our new starting quarterback looks to be suspended.

Seems to have been an incident involving five fingered discounts at the bookstore.

Not pleased.

Sorry to hear that. I was impressed with the way you guys played us in Missoula.

ncbears
October 11th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I think we beat WSU. We're hungry for a victory and it's homecoming for us. Look for a Bears victory. I agree with the rest of Jalmonds picks though.

putter
October 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Nice picks. Sticking your neck out a little with the Griz but Sac always plays well at home so it can happen. The Cat/EWU game will be a good one especially if the Cat secondary can have a good game against that offense.

AZGrizFan
October 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
So here it is week 7 already and the Big Sky has come down to the State of Montana show (Big Sky aptly named as it is also Montana's state nickname). Four exciting games on the panel for this weekend and Portland State is the only one taking the weekend off. So far I am sitting at 32-4 for the year. Only PSU's failed gamble last week prevented me from having another perfect weekend (more ways than one). Anyway, here are this week's conference predictions...

ISU @ NAU---The Bengals have found a little offense having scored 20 points against Montana State and 26 against Northern Colorado. The Jacks defense seems to have taken a couple weeks off, allowing 38 against Sacramento State and 44 against Portland State. Things shaping up for a shootout at Flagstaff so don't bet against the Jacks at 7000+ feet...NAU 52, ISU 30.

WSU @ UNC---How's this for defense for the Wildcats, UM's offense scored only one touchdown, MSU's offense scored only one touchdown, and Sac State scored only one touchdown. For UNC, a little hope in that its homecoming in Greeley, not just for the festivities, but also because their last four games have been on the road. Will it really make a difference?...WSU 24, UNC 7.

OK, thank you everyone. We will see you...oh wait, there's more. The two best games in the conference.

UM @ Sac State---The Griz struggled in their first two conference games, but still got the wins. Now they go on the road for the first time all year to face Sac State, a team the Griz have traditionally done pretty well against. The Hornets are a tough bunch to figure out, having destroyed NAU in their last game at home, yet were demolished last week at Weber. Still, home is a great place to be, especially in conference...Sac State 24, UM 21.

MSU @ EWU---EWU has played well all year, yet a 3-2 record is not indicative of that. Great efforts against Montana and Portland State have seen heartbreak in the last moments of each game. MSU has seen their games through, yet the offense has been late to show up, if at all. Could that come to haunt the Cats?...EWU 24, MSU 10.

Putting my record and my neck on the line but it is always tough to win on the road in conference and Sac State and EWU both have the tools to pull off an upset, especially with both playing at home. Good luck to all and for once, I don't have to be too stressed this week.

Montana is 12-0 against Sac State. I highly doubt this is the year that perfect record gets broken. xreadx xreadx xreadx

Mike Johnson
October 11th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Not pleased.

I saw that. And a one game suspension for the misdemeanor he and his two redshirting teammates were charged with. And that right after throwing for four touchdowns on Saturday.

I was confident about the game in Greeley until I read that story yesterday.

So who would be the starter, now that Higgins is out for this game? From the posted roster the QBs are:

Anthony Andrea QB 6'2" 220 Jr. Riverside California Riverside Poly HS Riverside JC

Brendon Doyle QB 6'3" 240 Jr. Burbank California Bellermine Jefferson HS Glendale (CA) JC

Jimmy Barnes QB 6'5" 235 So. Los Alamitos California Los Alamitos HS U. of Alabama

Cameron Higgins QB 6'2" 190 RFr. Honolulu Hawaii St. Louis HS

ncbears
October 11th, 2007, 03:22 PM
We came back from being down by 19 points to you last year in Ogden and it ended up being a good game. We ended up losing by 5 points though.

Walkon79
October 11th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Jalmond: You were doing great before this week. When's the last time the Cats and Griz both lost on the same weekend?

CopperCat
October 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
To say that Sac St. will beat UM is a stretch, and a big one at that. I still think they Griz are beatable after hearing about the EWU game last weekend, but we shall see come Saturday. MSU has some pretty big issues to figure out going into this weekend, mostly why in the hell Rolovich plays lights out one game and then has poor fundamentals the next. I'm pulling for UNC to get a win this week, the could use one to boost mid-season morale a bit, especially at homecoming.

catbob
October 11th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I saw that. And a one game suspension for the misdemeanor he and his two redshirting teammates were charged with. And that right after throwing for four touchdowns on Saturday.

So who would be the starter, now that Higgins is out for this game? From the posted roster the QBs are:

Anthony Andrea QB 6'2" 220 Jr. Riverside California Riverside Poly HS Riverside JC

Brendon Doyle QB 6'3" 240 Jr. Burbank California Bellermine Jefferson HS Glendale (CA) JC

Jimmy Barnes QB 6'5" 235 So. Los Alamitos California Los Alamitos HS U. of Alabama

My guess.

ucdtim17
October 11th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Sac is not "tough to figure out."

they suck

CopperCat
October 11th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Sac is not "tough to figure out."

they suck

But they didn't lose to a DII team this year.....xsmiley_wix

ucdtim17
October 11th, 2007, 10:53 PM
But they didn't lose to a DII team this year.....xsmiley_wix

No they didn't but that doesn't change the fact that they suck and will lose at home to a team that lost to a sorry D2 team at home

Mike Johnson
October 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM

I see ESPN says that Brendon Doyle will start as QB for the Wildcats. It looks like catbob had a good guess.

cats2506
October 12th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I see ESPN says that Brendon Doyle will start as QB for the Wildcats. It looks like catbob had a good guess.

I thought I read somewhere last night that Higgens was "unsuspended", prosecuter dropped the charges due to "lack of evidence"

catbob
October 12th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I thought I read somewhere last night that Higgens was "unsuspended", prosecuter dropped the charges due to "lack of evidence"

Correct, but Doyle is still getting the call. I'm sure he is on a short leash, however.

Mike Johnson
October 12th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Correct, but Doyle is still getting the call. I'm sure he is on a short leash, however.

What ever happened with Jimmy Barnes? I remember some talk about this catch last summer.

And I guess it is good news that Higgins isn't being charged. If he did do it, I hope he learned his lesson. If he didn't, I am glad he isn't going to be prosecuted.

Walkon79
October 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Barnes looked horrible against us. Didn't even have to wonder why he transferred from Bama.

already123
October 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM
really...that bad? what is it..scheme, foot work, not smart enough???

GOKATS
October 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Early in the Cats game he threw an Int that went back for a TD & he was benched. He came back in later, I think sometime in the 3rd qtr. & right off the bat threw another Int that went back for a TD. I don't think he's played since.

I Bleed Purple
October 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Yes.

No charges filed. Lack of evidence. Doyle has been taking the snaps all week, so he'll start. McBride told him he'd start and he said he's not going back on that.

On the subject of Barnes, he didn't dress last week due to injury. I'm unsure to as what (my dad said broken ego), but I think I remember hearing the radio guys mention surgery. Something in the chest/torso region.

GOKATS
October 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Yes.

No charges filed. Lack of evidence. Doyle has been taking the snaps all week, so he'll start. McBride told him he'd start and he said he's not going back on that.

On the subject of Barnes, he didn't dress last week due to injury. I'm unsure to as what (my dad said broken ego), but I think I remember hearing the radio guys mention surgery. Something in the chest/torso region.

Heartbroken?

My bad.:o

01pantherfan
October 12th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Montana is 12-0 against Sac State. I highly doubt this is the year that perfect record gets broken. xreadx xreadx xreadx

Probably a given, another tough 1-4 team for UM xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
October 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM

...he said, giving life to his well-earned nickname of "Mr. Griz Sensitive".....

xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 12th, 2007, 11:19 PM

As much as we'd like to play USC and Oregon every week, we can only play the games that are on the schedule. :)

RockemCats
October 12th, 2007, 11:25 PM
ISU @ NAU---The Bengals have found a little offense having scored 20 points against Montana State

Pretty sure ISU's D was responsible for 7 of the 20.

Mike Johnson
October 12th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Barnes looked horrible against us. Didn't even have to wonder why he transferred from Bama.

Thanks for the info. I wonder what happened. He was a two year starter at a high school famous for providing quarterbacks to the FBS. He was the starting QB for the West in a high school All American bowl. He was recruited by 7 or 8 BCS schools from UCLA to North Carolina, before accepting Alabama's scholarship. He redshirted his first year and as a red shirt freshman, he was the 2nd string at Alabama and got playing time. It was somewhat a surprise that he ended up at Weber State--apparantly he looked at a lot of FCS schools and then supposedly easily won the starting position in the summer. I had wondered if it was a injury or whether he hadn't met expectations. Sounds like maybe it was both.

Griz0383
October 13th, 2007, 12:07 AM
01panther, we take one game at a time and don't get worried about who the griz have or have not played. Until you beat us and hoist the national championship banner I find it hard to take you serious.

Mike Johnson
October 13th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Yes.

Well, Doyle and Higgins both had decent games today in Greeley. But, Weber's defense showed up and again is the star of the game.

mlbowl
October 13th, 2007, 04:06 PM

How refreshingly original!!!xthumbsupx xrolleyesx

ncbears
October 13th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Well, Doyle and Higgins both had decent games today in Greeley. But, Weber's defense showed up and again is the star of the game.

Weber does have a very quick defense. They haven't allowed an FCS team more then one td, correct?

I Bleed Purple
October 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
133 offensive yards...not good at all. 7-0 baby, 7-0.

JALMOND
October 14th, 2007, 01:31 AM

Well, 3-1 this week puts me at 35-5, and why did I go against the Griz? Maybe the same reason why I went against the Cats (thank you EWU). Anyway, I'll take 35-5 at this point. It looks good.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 14th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Well, 3-1 this week puts me at 35-5, and why did I go against the Griz? Maybe the same reason why I went against the Cats (thank you EWU). Anyway, I'll take 35-5 at this point. It looks good.

You're quite welcome! Just another day of Eagle Football! xcoffeex

Mike Johnson
October 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Weber does have a very quick defense. They haven't allowed an FCS team more then one td, correct?

Yeah, I would like to forget the Cal Poly game too. That game (and at Boise State) the defense looked terrible. Cal Poly had four 70+ yard TD drives in the 2nd quarter. Cal Poly had two more offensive touchdowns in the third quarter.

But against four Big Sky teams, the defense allowed 3 offensive touchdowns and the one by Montana came after an interception gave Montana the ball on the Weber State 25.

Peems
October 14th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Man the BSC, once known for Offense has some struggling offensive teams(Weber, UM, MSU) but also some strong one(EWU, PSU) and some who are pretty decent (NAU) The Cat/Griz game might be one of the most ugly offensive games in history of College Football!! xeekx

already123
October 14th, 2007, 09:43 PM
from what I've seen, especially the last few games, I'd say that NAUs offense is a bit better that decent...

dbackjon
October 14th, 2007, 09:52 PM
from what I've seen, especially the last few games, I'd say that NAUs offense is a bit better that decent...

Other than the Sac State game, it has been very good.

Tod
October 14th, 2007, 10:02 PM

Two of those losses to FBS teams. xcoffeex

Peems
October 14th, 2007, 11:12 PM

You're right I would say the top 3 offenses would be NAU, EWU, PSU with EWU at the top.

already123
October 14th, 2007, 11:24 PM
true....that Sac game was dismal. But other than that, that lumberjacks have been pretty impressive! I believe they have totaled well over 1000 yards in the last 2 games, 600+ on the ground. wow!