PDA

View Full Version : Some useless I-AA/FCS trivia

jajfitz
July 13th, 2022, 06:18 PM
I consider 1992 as the start of a new era of college football. The "Dayton Rule" was taking effect. Conferences like the Big 10 and SEC started the expansion frenzy. So did some research and found some useless but somewhat interesting facts about what was I-AA and is now FCS football.

74 schools that were I-AA still are.
1 school was. Moved up to I-A. Moved back down.
22 schools that were D-II have moved up voluntarily.
1 school was D2 and moved up due to the Dayton Rule and is still I-AA.
11 schools were D3 and moved up due to the Dayton Rule and still are.
4 were D-III and moved up afterwards.
1 school started I-AA football but has since dropped it.
12 have started football and are still I-AA
2 were D-II. Moved up to I-AA due to the Dayton Rule but have dropped football.
6 were D-III. Moved up to I-AA due to the Dayton Rule but have dropped football.
I school was scheduled to move up to I-AA due to the Dayton Rule but decided to drop football before moving.
3 schools were NAIA.
1 school was D-II and is transitioning.
1 school was D-III and is transitioning.
1 school was NAIA and is transitioning.
1 school was D-II moved up to I-AA but moved backed down.
1 school was D-II started transitioning to I-AA but moved back down.
1 school was D-II started transitioning to I-AA but dropped football (and most everything else).
I school had a D-iii team at a different campus but has since moved it to its D-I campus and plays I-AA football.

ElCid
July 13th, 2022, 06:26 PM
I consider 1992 as the start of a new era of college football. The "Dayton Rule" was taking effect. Conferences like the Big 10 and SEC started the expansion frenzy. So did some research and found some useless but somewhat interesting facts about what was I-AA and is now FCS football.

6 were D-III. Moved up to I-AA due to the Dayton Rule but have dropped football.
I school was scheduled to move up to I-AA due to the Dayton Rule but decided to drop football before moving.
3 schools were NAIA.
1 school was D-II started transitioning to I-AA but dropped football (and most everything else).
I school had a D-iii team at a different campus but has since moved it to its D-I campus and plays I-AA football.

Interesting, if also confusing at times. But thanks in any event. Kind of wished you had attached names to each situation. Some are easy to recall, some not so much.

aceinthehole
July 13th, 2022, 07:46 PM
"1 school was D2 and moved up due to the Dayton Rule and is still I-AA"

------

I assume that is CCSU, unless you are referencing another program.

Central Connecticut was D-II since the beginning of the split in 1973 and reclassified to I-AA for the 1993 season, pursuant to the "Dayton Rule"

bonarae
July 13th, 2022, 07:49 PM

3 schools were NAIA.

Thanks for sharing... random facts at that. :)

tigonian02
July 13th, 2022, 08:17 PM

3 schools were NAIA.

That's gotta be Savannah State

UAalum72
July 13th, 2022, 09:52 PM

3 schools were NAIA.
I'd guess that's Long Island U, but not exactly. The football field has always been on the CW Post campus in Brookville, Nassau County, but it's Ath Dept is now combined with LIU-Brooklyn. Most outdoor sports are on the Post campus, and indoor sports in Brooklyn 27 miles away.

DFW HOYA
July 13th, 2022, 10:59 PM
Maybe it's easier to focus on the singular candidates:

1 school was I-AA. Moved up to I-A. Moved back down.
1 school started I-AA football but has since dropped it. (Actually, there are at least two.)
1 school was scheduled to move up to I-AA due to the Dayton Rule but decided to drop football before moving.
1 school had a D-iii team at a different campus but has since moved it to its D-I campus and plays I-AA football.

wapiti
July 14th, 2022, 09:02 AM
1 school was I-AA. Moved up to I-A. Moved back down.

This has to be Idaho

Baron Sardonicus
July 14th, 2022, 09:19 AM
I consider 1992 as the start of a new era of college football. The "Dayton Rule" was taking effect.

Wasn't Dayton still in Division III in 1992?

UAalum72
July 14th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Wasn't Dayton still in Division III in 1992?
Yes, the Dayton Rule took effect in 1993, Dayton was a first-round loser in the 1992 Division III playoffs.

Libertine
July 14th, 2022, 01:55 PM

Definitely Winston-Salem State.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 16th, 2022, 05:21 PM

Morris Brown - I knew a gentleman who went to school there while I was in the Navy. He did not have kind words for the leadership team there. He was in the marching band whose was featured in the movie "Drumline" starring Nick Cannon. Apparently Morris Brown leadership since then worked their keesters off and managed to regain full accreditation this year (with a different entity).

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/georgia/articles/2022-04-27/morris-brown-college-regains-accreditation-after-20-years

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
July 16th, 2022, 06:22 PM
1 school started I-AA football but has since dropped it. (Actually, there are at least two.)

I know Boston, Northeastern, Cal St. Northridge, St. Mary's (CA) and a few other Northeastern teams did. East Tennessee State did a few years ago but had a leadership change several years later (the rest was history). The most recent school whose football program was axed the question was Jacksonville.

DFW HOYA
July 16th, 2022, 06:32 PM
I know Boston, Northeastern, Cal St. Northridge, St. Mary's (CA) and a few other Northeastern teams did. East Tennessee State did a few years ago but had a leadership change several years later (the rest was history). The most recent school whose football program was axed the question was Jacksonville.

All of these teams had a team before 1992. Fairfield and LaSalle started new I-AA teams and dropped them shortly thereafter.

jajfitz
July 19th, 2022, 06:25 AM
Did a little more research and did some updating.

1 school was. Moved up to I-A. Moved back down. IDAHO
22 schools that were D-II have moved up voluntarily. CCSU, SAC ST., S UTAH, CAL POLY, JACKSONVILLE ST., HAMPTON, WOFFORD, NORFOLK ST., ALA A&M, ELON, G-WEBB, UC-D, THE 4 DAKOTA SCHOOLS, N COLO, PRESBYTERIAN, PORT ST., NC CENTRAL, ACU, N ALA
1 school was D2 and moved up due to the Dayton Rule and is still I-AA. VALPO
11 schools were D3 and moved up due to the Dayton Rule and still are. SAN DIEGO, DAYTON, DRAKE, BUTLER, WAGNER, DUQUESNE, MARIST, GTOWN, ST. FRANCIS (PA), DAVIDSON, CHARLESTON SOUTHERN
4 were D-III and moved up afterwards. STONY BROOK, ST THOMAS, SACRED HEART, ALBANY
3 schools have started I-AA football but has since dropped it. JVILLE, FAIRFIELD, LA SALLE
12 have started football and are still I-AA. KEN ST, RMORRIS, LAMAR, MONMOUTH, CAMPBELL, MERCER, STETSON, HOUSTON BAPTIST, BRYANT, UT TECH, IWU, MERRIMACK
2 were D-II. Moved up to I-AA due to the Dayton Rule but have dropped football. CSU-NORTHRIDGE, ST. MARY'S
6 were D-III. Moved up to I-AA due to the Dayton Rule but have dropped football. EVANSVILLE, CANISIUS, ST. JOHN, SIENA, ST. PETER, IONA
I school was scheduled to move up to I-AA due to the Dayton Rule but decided to drop football before moving. SANTA CLARA
3 schools were NAIA. UA-PB, C ARK, TARLETON ST
1 school was D-II and is transitioning. A&M-COMMERCE
1 school was D-III and is transitioning. STONEHILL
1 school was NAIA and is transitioning. LINDENWOOD
1 school was D-II moved up to I-AA but moved backed down. SAV ST.
1 school was D-II started transitioning to I-AA but moved back down. WSSU
1 school was D-II started transitioning to I-AA but dropped football (and most everything else). MORRIS BROWN
I school had a D-iii team at a different campus but has since moved it to its D-I campus and plays I-AA football. LIU

taper
January 16th, 2024, 11:57 AM
Reviving an interesting thread with a new set of useless trivia. Who's played on the most different fields consecutively?

NDSU - 6 games from 2011 playoffs to 2012.
Home on V2
Champ in Frisco, TX
Home on V3
At Colorado St
Home on V4
At UNI
NDSU replaced their 2nd turf between seasons. There was an installation problem and it had to be replaced after the first game. We had 3 consecutive home games on different turfs, plus some interspersed away games. Won them all too.

Illinois State - 6 games from 2014 playoffs to 2015.
At EWU
At UNH
Champ in Frisco, TX
At Iowa
Home
At EIU

NDSU - 6 games from 2023 playoffs to 2024
At UNI
Home
At Montana St
At USD
At Montana
At Colorado(in the future)
That OT loss at MT stopped us from having 7.

Any others?

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2024, 12:20 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jajfitz again.

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2024, 12:25 PM

Reviving an interesting thread with a new set of useless trivia. Who's played on the most different fields consecutively?

Home on V2
Champ in Frisco, TX
Home on V3
At Colorado St
Home on V4
At UNI
NDSU replaced their 2nd turf between seasons. There was an installation problem and it had to be replaced after the first game. We had 3 consecutive home games on different turfs, plus some interspersed away games. Won them all too.

At EWU
At UNH
Champ in Frisco, TX
At Iowa
Home
At EIU

At UNI
Home
At Montana St
At USD
At Montana

Any others?

Frisco shouldn't count for Bison

https://media1.giphy.com/media/98maV70oAqIZtEYqB4/giphy.gif

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2024, 12:42 PM

Home on V2
Champ in Frisco, TX
Home on V3
At Colorado St
Home on V4
At UNI

At EWU
At UNH
Champ in Frisco, TX
At Iowa
Home
At EIU

At UNI
Home
At Montana St
At USD
At Montana

Any others?

Not sure how you did this for other schools, but 2019 to 2020, ISUr had 7 !!! And would have had 8, if not for Patty V caving to Petrino to cancel our spring opener at MoST.

2019:
At YSU (reg season)
At SEMO (playoff)
At UCA (playoff)
At NDSU (playoff)

2020 spring:

at MoST - canceled
Home USD (week 2 reg season)
At UNI
At NDSU

Fun fact, our week 1 opener was supposed to be at Missouri, so we would have had 8 straight different fields.

Funner fact ... this MoST canceled game in week 1 was part of Spack's rationale for canceling the spring 2021 season after 4 games. Petrino convinced Patty V to cancel it because "they couldn't clear snow from their field in time". Which was complete BS ... Normal, IL had more snow and colder weather, our field was perfectly ready to play. That's the thing about turf, once you clear it and sun shines, it warms up the surface fast. Note, Spack had initially balked at playing spring at all, but was talked into it by Patty V and probably other coaches. Then to have Patty allow Petrino to cancel game for BS reason. They likely weren't ready yet, despite nicer weather than my Redbirds and their having an indoor practice field option, which we didn't. So after all the FBS transfers we lost from fall, 4 games, several injuries and covid, Spack told Patty V to f off (my words = D), and he canceled the rest of games.

Ironically, this is all why we only lose 8 SRs from the 2023 season ... combination of fall 2020 pandemic transfers and Spack canceling spring season, then even more transfers. Leading to the first time Spack had 2 straight losing seasons .. 1-3, and 4-7, then two 6-5 seasons.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/933/492/bd8.gif

JALMOND
January 16th, 2024, 01:04 PM

Home on V2
Champ in Frisco, TX
Home on V3
At Colorado St
Home on V4
At UNI

At EWU
At UNH
Champ in Frisco, TX
At Iowa
Home
At EIU

At UNI
Home
At Montana St
At USD
At Montana

Any others?

Portland State had 6 consecutive games in 2018

At Idaho---Kibbie Dome, Moscow
At Montana---Wash/Griz, Missoula
N Colorado---Providence Park, Portland
At Sac State---Hornet Stadium, Sacramento
Idaho State---Hillsboro Stadium, Hillsboro
At N Dakota---Alerus Center, Grand Forks

No Playoff games. Just transitioning from Providence Park to Hillsboro back then.

ST_Lawson
January 16th, 2024, 01:13 PM
We've had at least a couple of instances of 6. Can't find a 7-game stretch, at least not in the last couple of decades.

In 2015/16 we had:
@ North Dakota State
@ Indiana State
vs South Dakota State
@ Dayton (playoffs)
@ Illinois State (playoffs)
@ Eastern Illinois (start of 2016 season)

That overlaps with (also 15/16)
@ Dayton (playoffs)
vs Northern Arizona
@ Northern Illinois
@ South Dakota State

Then there was the end of 2016 into the 2017 season:
@ SIU (end of 2016 season)
@ Tennessee Tech (start of 2017 season)
@ Northern Arizona
@ Coastal Carolina
vs South Dakota
@ Northern Iowa

MSUBobcat
January 16th, 2024, 03:36 PM
We've had at least a couple of instances of 6. Can't find a 7-game stretch, at least not in the last couple of decades.

In 2015/16 we had:
@ North Dakota State
@ Indiana State
vs South Dakota State
@ Dayton (playoffs)

That overlaps with (also 15/16)
@ Dayton (playoffs)
vs Northern Arizona
@ Northern Illinois
@ South Dakota State

Then there was the end of 2016 into the 2017 season:
@ SIU (end of 2016 season)
@ Tennessee Tech (start of 2017 season)
@ Northern Arizona
@ Coastal Carolina
vs South Dakota
@ Northern Iowa

Wait.... WIU got outbid by PFL Dayton?!?!? Ouch. From the box scores, they averaged about 64% of the Leathernecks' attendance for the year (3,058 vs 4,774), but WIU's attendance in the last 2 games fell off a cliff (2,610 and 1,853 after 3 games of ~6k-7k). Dayton brought in just under 1k for that playoff game.

taper
January 16th, 2024, 03:47 PM
Wait.... WIU got outbid by PFL Dayton?!?!? Ouch. From the box scores, they averaged about 64% of the Leathernecks' attendance for the year (3,058 vs 4,774), but WIU's attendance in the last 2 games fell off a cliff (2,610 and 1,853 after 3 games of ~6k-7k). Dayton brought in just under 1k for that playoff game.
WIU didn't even bid that year. They were 6-5 and IIRC had already put away all their equipment when they were selected. A last week win against #5 SDSU got them on the bubble.

Redbird 4th & short
January 16th, 2024, 03:57 PM
WIU didn't even bid that year. They were 6-5 and IIRC had already put away all their equipment when they were selected. A last week win against #5 SDSU got them on the bubble.
They had #2 Massey SOS .. played 6 playoff teams and went 3-3, plus an FBS loss to U of I .. so that was 4 of their 5 reg season losses. They deserved the bid at 6-5 .. it was a UNI kind of season for them. They had beaten 3 at large playoff bids .... so SDSU win may have put them on the bubble, but they earned the bid. Check the other bubble teams for SOS .. did tey go 3-3 against playoff teams. Did they play anywhere close to 6 playoff teams, much less beat 3 of them.

bobcathpdevil56
January 16th, 2024, 04:01 PM

That is interesting. Another interesting topic, when did we get to change our avatars back? I thought it was kickoff next season?

mmiller_34
January 16th, 2024, 06:08 PM

Home on V2
Champ in Frisco, TX
Home on V3
At Colorado St
Home on V4
At UNI

At EWU
At UNH
Champ in Frisco, TX
At Iowa
Home
At EIU

At UNI
Home
At Montana St
At USD
At Montana

Any others?

UNI could probably make a run for that this year. Haven’t they scheduled on 4 home games in a 12 game season?

bonarae
January 16th, 2024, 07:16 PM
Meanwhile...

The Ivies' OOC schedule in football, quality-wise, has gone considerably down over the years since at least 2014, when they last played an FBS in Army. Scholarship FCS nationwide have ducked from us. xbawlingx xsighx

NY Crusader 2010
January 16th, 2024, 07:32 PM
All of these teams had a team before 1992. Fairfield and LaSalle started new I-AA teams and dropped them shortly thereafter.

The Fairfield situation was strange. Started a non-scholarship I-AA program and played in the MAAC. Were highly successful, albeit a much lower level of play than even middle-of-the-road I-AA. MAAC was basically the 90's version of Pioneer-level play, maybe even a notch below that. The really bad Holy Cross teams in the late 1990's apparently had a pretty big rivalry with Fairfield when the Stags were winning 8 or 9 games / year. They had a great little on-campus stadium which doubled as, and still is the LAX stadium. Similar vibes to Georgetown's setup -- intimate, on campus, right down the hill from upperclassmen townhouses. Abruptly cancelled the program in 2003 I think it was. When I went to visit a friend there in February 2009, I remember they still had the football hashes on the turf.

Fairfield with football would be a great addition to the Patriot League. Wasn't meant to be. FU also dropped hockey right around the same time, early 2000's. I think their dropping the sport is the reason the MAAC stopped sponsoring hockey, giving birth to the Atlantic Hockey Association, home to Holy Cross, Army, Niagara, Canisius, Sacred Heart, Bob Morris and numerous others.

JALMOND
January 16th, 2024, 11:58 PM
Portland State had 6 consecutive games in 2018

At Idaho---Kibbie Dome, Moscow
At Montana---Wash/Griz, Missoula
N Colorado---Providence Park, Portland
At Sac State---Hornet Stadium, Sacramento
Idaho State---Hillsboro Stadium, Hillsboro
At N Dakota---Alerus Center, Grand Forks

No Playoff games. Just transitioning from Providence Park to Hillsboro back then.

Had another one to start the 2014 season. No playoff games

at Oregon State---Reser Stadium, Corvallis, OR
Western Oregon---Hillsboro Stadium, Hillsboro, OR
at Washington State---Martin Stadium, Pullman, WA
at Cal Poly---Spanos Stadium, San Luis Obispo, CA
UC Davis---Providence Park, Portland, OR
at North Dakota---Alerus Center, Grand Forks, ND

ST_Lawson
January 17th, 2024, 08:35 AM

Pretty much, yeah. We thought maybe we had an outside chance at being selected due to SOS, although until then, no 6-5 team had ever received an at-large bid. Adding to that, we were not in a financial situation to be putting forth much of a bid anyway and probably figured that anyone we were likely to be matched up with, we would be outbid by, so we didn't submit a bid. Getting Dayton was a pretty big surprise to us since EIU was also an unseeded team in the playoffs that year and Chattanooga also might have been bus ride distance. This was that bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/football/fcs/2015

Catbooster
January 17th, 2024, 02:14 PM
That is interesting. Another interesting topic, when did we get to change our avatars back? I thought it was kickoff next season?
I thought it was through the championship game.

Edit: went back and checked:

Losers: Once you've been claimed you must display the avatar given to you for the remainder of the FCS season. That means through the national championship game in January.

OhioHen
January 18th, 2024, 01:47 PM
According to the NCAA, as of the 2022 season 23 schools have been 1-AA/FCS every year since the split of Division 1 took place (1978). http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2022/FCS.pdf
Alcorn State
Austin Peay
Bucknell
Eastern Kentucky
Grambling
Idaho State
Jackson State
Lafayette
Lehigh
Maine
Montana
Montana State
Morehead State
Murray State
New Hampshire
Northern Arizona
Northwestern State
Prairie View A&M
Rhode Island
Southern
Tennessee Tech
Texas Southern
Weber State

Oddly, four (at the time) MEAC schools are listed as being 1-AA in 1978 and continuously since 1980 but NOT in 1979. Anyone have insight on why this is?
Delaware State
Howard
North Carolina A&T
South Carolina State

taper
January 18th, 2024, 02:03 PM
According to the NCAA, as of the 2022 season 23 schools have been 1-AA/FCS every year since the split of Division 1 took place (1978). http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/2022/FCS.pdf
Alcorn State
Austin Peay
Bucknell
Eastern Kentucky
Grambling
Idaho State
Jackson State
Lafayette
Lehigh
Maine
Montana
Montana State
Morehead State
Murray State
New Hampshire
Northern Arizona
Northwestern State
Prairie View A&M
Rhode Island
Southern
Tennessee Tech
Texas Southern
Weber State

Oddly, four (at the time) MEAC schools are listed as being 1-AA in 1978 and continuously since 1980 but NOT in 1979. Anyone have insight on why this is?
Delaware State
Howard
North Carolina A&T
South Carolina State
Alcorn St and Montana St didn't play the 2020 season(including spring). I would take them off the list as a suspended program. If the season had been cancelled it would be different, but most teams played at least some games.

UAalum72
January 18th, 2024, 08:59 PM

Delaware State
Howard
North Carolina A&T
South Carolina State
Even more odd, the MEAC history page says "On June 8, 1980, the MEAC was classified as a Division I conference by the NCAA; prior to that year, the conference had operated on the Division II level. "
https://meacsports.com/sports/2017/9/8/About%20The%20MEAC_0908173619.aspx

OhioHen
January 19th, 2024, 07:02 AM
Alcorn St and Montana St didn't play the 2020 season(including spring). I would take them off the list as a suspended program. If the season had been cancelled it would be different, but most teams played at least some games.
Didn't play, but still classified as FCS by the NCAA.

OhioHen
January 19th, 2024, 07:04 AM
Even more odd, the MEAC history page says "On June 8, 1980, the MEAC was classified as a Division I conference by the NCAA; prior to that year, the conference had operated on the Division II level. "
https://meacsports.com/sports/2017/9/8/About%20The%20MEAC_0908173619.aspx
Just as odd, Florida A&M didn't join the MEAC until 1980 and played in a D2 conference through 1979, yet they were classified as 1-AA and won the national championship in 1979 despite all of their conference games being against D2s.

aceinthehole
January 19th, 2024, 07:32 AM

22 schools that were D-II have moved up voluntarily. CCSU, SAC ST., S UTAH, CAL POLY, JACKSONVILLE ST., HAMPTON, WOFFORD, NORFOLK ST., ALA A&M, ELON, G-WEBB, UC-D, THE 4 DAKOTA SCHOOLS, N COLO, PRESBYTERIAN, PORT ST., NC CENTRAL, ACU, N ALA

This is incorrect. Not all 22 schools moved "voluntarily" and most, in fact, moved as required by the 'Dayton Rule'

As a D-I athletics program in 1992, schools were REQUIRED to reclassify any existing D-II or D-III football programs to I-A or I-AA for the 1993 season.

For example, Central Connecticut has played "small college" football since it began sponsoring the sport in 1935. When the school officially joined the NCAA in 1965, it was classified into the "College Division." In 1973, the school's athletic department was classified into the newly created D-II, including its football program. In Fall 1986, CCSU began its first season in D-I for all sports, except football (which remained in D-II). Then in 1993, the football program was reclassified as a I-AA program, specifically due to the Dayton Rule.

Basically in 1992, all active D-I athletic programs were mandated to reclassify football from D-II or D-III to I-A/AA. You have CCSU incorrectly categorized, and I suspect you did the same with other schools as well.

Baron Sardonicus
January 19th, 2024, 10:13 AM

Several D-II schools, such as St. Mary's, Butler, and...

(Butler still FCS)

aceinthehole
January 19th, 2024, 02:22 PM
Several D-II schools, such as St. Mary's, Butler, and...

(Butler still FCS)

Yes, CCSU is in that group of at least 6 D-I schools that were forced from D-II football in 1992 to I-AA in 1993.

Butler
Cal St. Northridge (dropped after 2001)
Central Conn. St.
Sacramento St.
St. Mary's (dropped after 2003)
Valparaiso

Santa Clara dropped football after 1992 rather than reclass like St. Mary's.

Pards Rule
January 20th, 2024, 12:21 PM
Interesting...can somebody define the Dayton Rule? Interesting fact, Lafayette played two regular season games at neutral sites. An 1890s game vs Lehigh in Wilkes-Barre PA and more recently the 150th game in Yankee Stadium. Maybe some others due to storms?

UAalum72
January 20th, 2024, 01:02 PM
Interesting...can somebody define the Dayton Rule?
At its most basic, any college that wants to play basketball at Division I must play ALL their sports at Division I. Some exceptions (Johns Hopkins lacrosse, RPI and Union ice hockey) were grandfathered in for the reverse, but not for hoops and football.

downbythebeach
January 20th, 2024, 08:01 PM
I got a little fun fact…

Name the 2 current FBS level teams that lost to colleges that no longer exist in the past 15 years.

(Like the entire college is no more)

DFW HOYA
January 20th, 2024, 08:38 PM
At its most basic, any college that wants to play basketball at Division I must play ALL their sports at Division I. Some exceptions (Johns Hopkins lacrosse, RPI and Union ice hockey) were grandfathered in for the reverse, but not for hoops and football.

Clarified: An NCAA member must play all its sports in the same division, unless a sport is not available for championships in that division (e.g., women's bowling, rifle).

Football was the source of the legislation but it can apply to other sports as well.

aceinthehole
January 20th, 2024, 09:09 PM

In 1993, a total of 24 D-I schools reclassified their football team from D-II/III to I-AA to comply with the new NCAA requirement.

Reclassified from D-II

Butler
Central Conn. St.
Sacramento St.
St. Mary’s
Southern Utah
Troy
Valparaiso

Reclassified from D-III:

Buffalo
Canisius
Charleston Southern
Davidson
DAYTON
Drake
Duquesne
Georgetown
Hofstra
Iona
Marist
San Diego
Siena
St. Francis
St. John's (NY)
St. Peter's
Wagner

taper
January 20th, 2024, 09:15 PM
I got a little fun fact…

Name the 2 current FBS level teams that lost to colleges that no longer exist in the past 15 years.

That was relatively easy. Just look at the early years of the teams that started from scratch in the 2010's that played FCS as a planned transition to FBS.
Lambuth over Georgia St in 2010.
Wesley College(DE) over Charlotte in 2013.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 20th, 2024, 09:20 PM
I got a little fun fact…

Charlotte vs Wesley (DE)
Georgia State vs Lambuth

- - - Updated - - -

That was relatively easy. Just look at the early years of the teams that started from scratch in the 2010's that played FCS as a planned transition to FBS.
Lambuth over Georgia St in 2010.
Wesley College(DE) over Charlotte in 2013.

Beat me to it!

DFW HOYA
January 20th, 2024, 09:58 PM
In 1993, a total of 24 D-I schools reclassified their football team from D-II/III to I-AA to comply with the new NCAA requirement.

Actually it's 26 (Santa Clara would have been 27 but their president dropped Division II football by fiat in the interim.)

Division III
18. Alabama-Birmingham
19. Evansville

bonarae
January 21st, 2024, 02:56 AM
19. Evansville

What happened to Aces football? I see it rarely mentioned even here on AGS. BU, Fairfield, Northeastern, La Salle etc. get a lot of press time here.

MR. CHICKEN
January 21st, 2024, 06:35 AM
What happened to Aces football? I see it rarely mentioned even here on AGS. BU, Fairfield, Northeastern, La Salle etc. get a lot of press time here.

The University of Evansville first fielded a football team in 1898. Known early on as the 49ers, Evansville played in the NCAA College Division (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_College_Division) through 1975, after which they played as an NCAA Division III (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_III) non-scholarship program. They were champions of the Ohio Valley Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Valley_Conference) in 1948 (shared with Morehead State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morehead_State_Eagles_football)) with a 6–3 (3–1 OVC) record and 1949 with an 8–2–1 (3–1–1 OVC) mark.Following new NCAA regulations requiring university football and basketball teams to compete at the same division, Evansville became a charter member of the Pioneer Football League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Football_League) (PFL), an NCAA Division I (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I) non-scholarship league. They remained PFL members until their shut down following the 1997 season. Citing financial difficulties and a belief that the PFL was not sustainable, the Purple Aces closed the doors on their football program after almost a century on the gridiron. Evansville's all-time record stands at 268–381–26.
Talk has existed since about 2007 about upgrading football again to a fully funded NCAA Division I team, but, after a year of investigation, the board of trustees voted against this in October 2012 as currently being too expensive.[19] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evansville_Purple_Aces?wprov=srpw1_1#cite_note-19)

ElCid
January 21st, 2024, 08:49 AM

Hah, side note, my great uncle, Lincoln B. Hale (paternal grandmother's brother) and Yale grad, was the President of Evansville College from 1940 to 1954. He was embroiled in a political issue there in the late 40s with the Red Menace.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/imh/article/download/11989/17686/29937&ved=2ahUKEwip6tum2O6DAxVAOEQIHQu7AP4QFnoECCYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3bJOeX7ImmOtba3GgWuaPS

Pards Rule
January 21st, 2024, 09:01 AM
Hah, side note, my great uncle, Lincoln B. Hale (paternal grandmother's brother) and Yale grad, was the President of Evansville College from 1940 to 1954. He was embroiled in a political issue there in the late 40s with the Red Menace.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/imh/article/download/11989/17686/29937&ved=2ahUKEwip6tum2O6DAxVAOEQIHQu7AP4QFnoECCYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3bJOeX7ImmOtba3GgWuaPS

Good stuff Cid!

aceinthehole
January 21st, 2024, 09:32 AM
Actually it's 26 (Santa Clara would have been 27 but their president dropped Division II football by fiat in the interim.)

Division III
18. Alabama-Birmingham
19. Evansville

Yep, missed them both. Thank you.

clenz
January 21st, 2024, 10:15 PM

The University of Evansville first fielded a football team in 1898. Known early on as the 49ers, Evansville played in the NCAA College Division (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_College_Division) through 1975, after which they played as an NCAA Division III (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_III) non-scholarship program. They were champions of the Ohio Valley Conference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Valley_Conference) in 1948 (shared with Morehead State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morehead_State_Eagles_football)) with a 6–3 (3–1 OVC) record and 1949 with an 8–2–1 (3–1–1 OVC) mark.Following new NCAA regulations requiring university football and basketball teams to compete at the same division, Evansville became a charter member of the Pioneer Football League (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_Football_League) (PFL), an NCAA Division I (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I) non-scholarship league. They remained PFL members until their shut down following the 1997 season. Citing financial difficulties and a belief that the PFL was not sustainable, the Purple Aces closed the doors on their football program after almost a century on the gridiron. Evansville's all-time record stands at 268–381–26.
Talk has existed since about 2007 about upgrading football again to a fully funded NCAA Division I team, but, after a year of investigation, the board of trustees voted against this in October 2012 as currently being too expensive.[19] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evansville_Purple_Aces?wprov=srpw1_1#cite_note-19)
Tiny ass broke private school in butt **** nowhere.

They should be D2/D3 as an athletics department. They sure as **** aren't adding football.

bonarae
February 27th, 2024, 07:25 PM
The FCS currently has 4 "purple bloods" or "mud bloods" (one fan on FCS Fans Nation identified them, with below .400 win percentage for all):

1. Columbia
2. Austin Peay
3. MVSU
4. St. Francis Red Flash

Source for the inspo: https://www.tiktok.com/@cfbudge/video/7340395627723033902?_t=8kFHN9CDOso&_r=1

NY Crusader 2010
February 27th, 2024, 07:35 PM
Charlotte vs Wesley (DE)
Georgia State vs Lambuth

- - - Updated - - -

Beat me to it!

Wonder if the 2013 Charlotte 49ers were the only team in history to both beat a RANKED I-AA/FCS AND lose to a DIII team. Charlotte beat Gardner-Webb that year, who was ranked FCS #25 at the time.

caribbeanhen
February 27th, 2024, 08:39 PM
Wonder if the 2013 Charlotte 49ers were the only team in history to both beat a RANKED I-AA/FCS AND lose to a DIII team. Charlotte beat Gardner-Webb that year, who was ranked FCS #25 at the time.

and that Div3 team was Wesley of Dover, Delaware

NY Crusader 2010
February 28th, 2024, 04:14 PM
and that Div3 team was Wesley of Dover, Delaware

Wesley had a strong program. They were ranked in DIII at the time they beat Charlotte. A linebacker at HC a year below me had a younger brother who played there. The school was purchased by Delaware State and the campus is now Delaware State-Downtown. When the school closed, all matriculating students were offered admission to DSU.