PDA

View Full Version : Drake @ San Diego

USDFAN_55
October 10th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I know not many in here care, but for the people that do care.... what are your predictions for this game? I think this is going to be San Diego's high powered passing attack against Drake's high powered running game. Two different styles of football. Should be a great game with San Diego's 21 game home winning streak on the line as well as a 15 game PFL winning streak. I think San Diego will squeak by with a 14 point victory.

The X factor in this game will be how each team's Special Teams performs.

Poly Pigskin
October 10th, 2007, 03:51 AM
2 TDs is squeaking by? xconfusedx

Pauly LB
October 10th, 2007, 06:22 AM
14 points is squeaking by ??? Sounds like a real nail biter to me...

Yawn...

seahawkfan2007
October 10th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Drake is a very solid team but SD has JJ. 34-21 SD.

JayJ79
October 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Have never seen San Diego play.

But I'm definitely cheering for Drake (home state bias)

danefan
October 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Have never seen San Diego play.

If you get a chance you should check out some highlights of Josh Johnson (San Diego QB). he's very very good and fun to watch.

I'll take San Diego in this one. I just don't think Drake is as good. Plus San Diego has all the confidence in the world right now.

DUPFLFan
October 10th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I think this will be a shootout like the 2004 game - last one with the ball wins

Drake 48 SD 44

nmatsen
October 10th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I either want San Diego to win by 50 so I can say they are the real deal, win by 5 or lose so that every one will just call them what they are.

DetroitFlyer
October 10th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Last season, USD went to Drake and won 37-0. As I recall, Drake's QB play that day was dismal. Move ahead to 2007....

USD still has an extremely potent offense with Josh Johnson and J. T. Rogan. USD can pass and run. JJ is essentially another running back with Rogan. So, USD will score points.

USD's defense is not as good this year as last year.... They are not bad, but they do not seem to be dominating PFL competition, ( Valpo put up 27 on USD for example ).

Drake still has Scotty P. and he still can run. Drake also has perhaps the biggest offensive line in the PFL. Scotty will get his yardage against USD, I expect 100 +.

Unfortunately for Drake, they still do not have a QB. This season, they have been rotating two guys, Cole Ingle and Derek Retherford. Just when it seems like one may pull away, it does not happen.

Drake does have a solid defense again, but there have been some injuries that seem to have taken a toll since the big ISU win.

With USD playing at home, and probably feeling like they have something to prove, I expect USD to win handily. The big unknown to me is Drake's QB play.... If Drake could get a respectable outing from the QB position, then they could hang in this game and possibly win.

Prediction: San Diego 35 Drake 17.

Ruler 79
October 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I am rooting for SD because IF UA wins the NEC, I am actually going to be in SD (actually LA but I will go south) on Biz the week of the Grid Iron Classic.

Rather go to SD then Iowa or Ohio. But UA has a tough road to hoe in front of them.

USDFAN_55
October 10th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Last season, USD went to Drake and won 37-0. As I recall, Drake's QB play that day was dismal. Move ahead to 2007....

USD still has an extremely potent offense with Josh Johnson and J. T. Rogan. USD can pass and run. JJ is essentially another running back with Rogan. So, USD will score points.

USD's defense is not as good this year as last year.... They are not bad, but they do not seem to be dominating PFL competition, ( Valpo put up 27 on USD for example ).

Drake still has Scotty P. and he still can run. Drake also has perhaps the biggest offensive line in the PFL. Scotty will get his yardage against USD, I expect 100 +.

Unfortunately for Drake, they still do not have a QB. This season, they have been rotating two guys, Cole Ingle and Derek Retherford. Just when it seems like one may pull away, it does not happen.

Drake does have a solid defense again, but there have been some injuries that seem to have taken a toll since the big ISU win.

With USD playing at home, and probably feeling like they have something to prove, I expect USD to win handily. The big unknown to me is Drake's QB play.... If Drake could get a respectable outing from the QB position, then they could hang in this game and possibly win.

That's very true about San Diego's defense. There is some talent on that side of the ball, but there is some inexperience in places. If they can hold Scotty P to around 100 yards rushing, they should be fine. There's no doubt in my mind that San Diego will be able to put up the points needed to win, but I am worried just a little bit about limiting Drake's points as well. Maybe the defense will step up this game (keeping my fingers crossed)

DUPFLFan
October 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Actually DF - Drake's QB's have been playing pretty well. Defenses have been putting 8-9 in the box in an all out effort to stop Scotty. I don't think it is a matter of neither stepping up but both playing well.

Four things are different than last year:

1. Harbaugh is not the SD Coach

2. Ash is not the Drake Coach

3. Our QB's are healthy and playing well

4. We have that crap they pulled last year on tape...

The Tank
October 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Actually DF - Drake's QB's have been playing pretty well. Defenses have been putting 8-9 in the box in an all out effort to stop Scotty. I don't think it is a matter of neither stepping up but both playing well.

Four things are different than last year:

1. Harbaugh is not the SD Coach

2. Ash is not the Drake Coach

3. Our QB's are healthy and playing well

4. We have that crap they pulled last year on tape...

One thing not different, San Diego still has Def. Coordinator Dave Adolph, with 21 years of NFL experience. The same guy who limited Scott P to 51 yards on 19 attempts last year!

This needs to be a statement game for USD, and put the same kind of beating UNI put on Drake, if we are to have any shot at running the table and getting considered for the playoffs.

What crap are you referring to from last years game?

DetroitFlyer
October 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Has to be all of the shifting around on offense....

If Drake gets good QB play, this will be a good game.

DUPFLFan
October 10th, 2007, 02:51 PM
One thing not different, San Diego still has Def. Coordinator Dave Adolph, with 21 years of NFL experience. The same guy who limited Scott P to 51 yards on 19 attempts last year!

And we have Steve Loney who has a few years of NFL experience too...

Last year our QB's were hurt so Adolph put nine in the box - Ash never adjusted - Loney won't make the same mistake...

The crap I am referring to is the multiple shifting on offense right before the snap. Drake was not ready for that and it caused confusion. I think they will be ready this time.

BTW - Did you guys catch Nate Snead running the spread offense last week for a few plays???

USDFAN_55
October 10th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Last year our QB's were hurt so Adolph put nine in the box - Ash never adjusted - Loney won't make the same mistake...

The crap I am referring to is the multiple shifting on offense right before the snap. Drake was not ready for that and it caused confusion. I think they will be ready this time.

BTW - Did you guys catch Nate Snead running the spread offense last week for a few plays???

I haven't seen nearly as much shifting this year as I did last year.

GOTOREROS
October 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM

Sorry to hear your staff couldn't make in-game adjustments......:D

Don't think you will have to adjust to shifts on offense this year - pretty straight forward offense......xnodx

flyenhigh
October 10th, 2007, 08:40 PM
This is the most interesting game the PFL has had in a few years. I can't wait to find out who will come out on top. My guess is USD.

GOTOREROS
October 10th, 2007, 09:51 PM
This is the most interesting game the PFL has had in a few years. I can't wait to find out who will come out on top. My guess is USD.

That's what they said last year - USD 37 Drake 0........xnodx

nmatsen
October 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM

This needs to be a statement game for USD, and put the same kind of beating UNI put on Drake, if we are to have any shot at running the table and getting considered for the playoffs.

Yes but can you put the kind of beating on Drake that we put on them by only throwing approximately 20 passes? Oh, and taking a knee inside the five on the last play of the game. Hey, if you do I will be the first person to jump on the SD band wagon.

I can't believe that I am making a prediction for a mid major game:

Drake 24
San Diego 21

Nate Snead gets in the game and shows everyone why he was the most under rated player in the State of Iowa last year and should have been wearing purple this fall. Way to F$*K that one up Farley (sorry App frat doctor guy for the abbreviated swear word)

GOTOREROS
October 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Yes but can you put the kind of beating on Drake that we put on them by only throwing approximately 20 passes? Oh, and taking a knee inside the five on the last play of the game. Hey, if you do I will be the first person to jump on the SD band wagon.

Drake 24
San Diego 21

Nate Snead gets in the game and shows everyone why he was the most under rated player in the State of Iowa last year and should have been wearing purple this fall. Way to F$*K that one up Farley (sorry App frat doctor guy for the abbreviated swear word)

That's the same prediction every UNI fan made last year about USD vs. Drake.....I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day too....xcoffeex

crunifan
October 11th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Let's go Drake! Show those California boys who's boss!

JALMOND
October 11th, 2007, 01:03 AM
This game will get really boring quickly for us who really don't care.

San Diego 48,
Drake 14.

If I really have to make a prediction.

The Tank
October 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM
My prediction = USD 52, Drake 14

There is not a FBS team in the country that could hold USD to only 3 scores!

USD may not beat them quite as handily as UNI, I don't think you will find a single USD fan that thinks we are the best FBS team in the country, which I think UNI is at this point. But I am highly confident that USD is as good as anyone outside the top 10.

89Hen
October 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM
I know not many in here care...
xnonox I don't think that's a fair statement.

USDFAN_55
October 11th, 2007, 10:18 AM
My prediction = USD 52, Drake 14

There is not a FBS team in the country that could hold USD to only 3 scores!

USD may not beat them quite as handily as UNI, I don't think you will find a single USD fan that thinks we are the best FBS team in the country, which I think UNI is at this point. But I am highly confident that USD is as good as anyone outside the top 10.

xeekx I hope you mean FCS.... and even then that is a bold statement.

The Tank
October 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM
xeekx I hope you mean FCS.... and even then that is a bold statement.

Yes, I meant FCS.

DavisAggie
October 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I know not many in here care, but for the people that do care.... what are your predictions for this game?

JJ is going to be too much for Drake to handle.

Univ. of San Diego wins big. xpeacex

Good luck guys – go out and show them what West Coast 1-AA football is made of.

Ronin
October 11th, 2007, 04:14 PM
While I wish Drake well in the game. I believe the DetroitFlyer has called it correctly.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Drake 24
San Diego 21

You shouldn't look down on "mid-major" teams...that's what the FBS does to the FCS and in my opinion FCS is much more interesting than the FBS

I've been to the USD games this year and they are very good, especially Johnson. PLUS being a non "mid-major" team doesn't make you good. USD killed UNC which I know isn't anything to really brag about haha however UNC isn't a "mid-major" team.

AggieFinn
October 11th, 2007, 05:03 PM
USD 45 - Drake 28

flyenhigh
October 12th, 2007, 06:18 PM
JJ is to much to handle Diego by 21.

I do hope it is much closer though!

skinny_uncle
October 12th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I've got a sneaky feeling Drake might pull this one off. Illinois State did not expect to lose to them either.

BlueHen86
October 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I hope Drake prevails, but I think San Diego will eke out a 21 point win.:D

BlueHen86
October 12th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I know not many in here care, but for the people that do care.... what are your predictions for this game? I think this is going to be San Diego's high powered passing attack against Drake's high powered running game. Two different styles of football. Should be a great game with San Diego's 21 game home winning streak on the line as well as a 15 game PFL winning streak. I think San Diego will squeak by with a 14 point victory.

The X factor in this game will be how each team's Special Teams performs.

I didn't see a "Game of the Week" poll/thread this week, but I think this game would have gotten a lot of votes if there was one.

USDFAN_55
October 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I didn't see a "Game of the Week" poll/thread this week, but I think this game would have gotten a lot of votes if there was one.

There was sort of (not including the UNI vs SIU game)..... they got 10% of the votes. Most cared about the Montana State vs Eastern Washington game.

BlueHen86
October 13th, 2007, 12:09 AM
There was sort of (not including the UNI vs SIU game)..... they got 10% of the votes. Most cared about the Montana State vs Eastern Washington game.
You're right. I found it; San Diego - Drake has about 10% of the vote, and is third out of the 10 games listed.

DetroitFlyer
October 13th, 2007, 10:24 PM
San Diego 52 Drake 0 in the third quarter.... No, I'm not kidding.... 6 Drake turnovers in the first half....

Tod
October 13th, 2007, 11:08 PM
San Diego 52 Drake 0 in the third quarter.... No, I'm not kidding.... 6 Drake turnovers in the first half....

59-12 now. Drake getting some garbage points.

USD should be in the AGS top 25, no doubt. xnodx xnodx xnodx

DetroitFlyer
October 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Final: San Diego 59 Drake 19. Drake scores a couple of TD's in garbage time.

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2007, 11:14 PM
59-12 now. Drake getting some garbage points.

USD should be in the AGS top 25, no doubt. xnodx xnodx xnodx

I agree.

USDFAN_55
October 13th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Great game for San Diego. Their defense did a great job causing turnovers and stopping the Drake running attack. Will San Diego get a little more respect after this win? I hope soxnodx

bulldog10jw
October 13th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Great game for San Diego. Their defense did a great job causing turnovers and stopping the Drake running attack. Will San Diego get a little more respect after this win? I hope soxnodx

Who is left on your schedule?

USDFAN_55
October 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Who is left on your schedule?

Jacksonville, Davidson, Dayton, UC Davis, and I think Morehead St.

flyenhigh
October 14th, 2007, 12:10 AM
This game surprised me for sure. No contest......repeat.....no contest for Drake. USD is way better than I originally thought. Respect should now be given to them. Top 25 for sure.

I just hope UD does not get embarrassed when they play em'.:(

Fresno St. Alum
October 14th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I have San Diego at #27 just on the outside. They should get in my poll next week.

GOTOREROS
October 14th, 2007, 12:26 AM
San Diego could have scored 70 easy if they wanted - Drake had no idea what hit them.......

ereiz03
October 14th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Anyone who saw this game would agree that San Diego is easily one of the top 25 1-AA teams in the country. Absolute domination from start to finish. Unbelievable game by USD.

USDFAN_55
October 14th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I really thought it would be a closer game. The defense really surprised me tonight. Drake had no clue what hit them.

flyenhigh
October 14th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Is USD really that good or did Drake just not show up?xconfusedx

ereiz03
October 14th, 2007, 01:56 AM
USD can't possibly be that good...or at least that's what I hear from most posters on this board :P

AggieFinn
October 14th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Jacksonville, Davidson, Dayton, UC Davis, and I think Morehead St.

or...who?, who?, who?, UC Davis, who?

Just teasing man! Nice win! xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
October 14th, 2007, 03:45 AM
USD can't possibly be that good...or at least that's what I hear from most posters on this board :P

oh no, not again. at least beat davis if you want respect this time. :)

Foosball
October 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Is the USD - UC Davis game played before or after the playoff selections?

USDFAN_55
October 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Is the USD - UC Davis game played before or after the playoff selections?

Before.

danefan
October 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Impressive win. Beat Davis and you may be traveling to Montana.

flyenhigh
October 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Not to ruin USD's parade but they still have to play some decent PFL teams before they even think about other things.

Hear me out: UD will upset USD in Ohio for Parents weekend.xeekx

Jaxhen
October 14th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I've had San Diego in my top 25 for the past two weeks. I've got them at #22.

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I was at the game and it was very impressive...although it was the type where it just got boring by the 4th quarter because it was such a slaughter

GOTOREROS
October 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Not to ruin USD's parade but they still have to play some decent PFL teams before they even think about other things.

Hear me out: UD will upset USD in Ohio for Parents weekend.xeekx

That's what the Drake fans said......:D

USDFAN_55
October 16th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I either want San Diego to win by 50 so I can say they are the real deal, win by 5 or lose so that every one will just call them what they are.
Not quite 50 because Drake got some garbage points at the end with the 2nd and 3rd stringers playing. 59-19 with 13 points in garbage time.

Drake 24
San Diego 21

Is 25 passes close enough? You jumping on the band wagon now?xnodx