PDA

View Full Version : Great moments in the SoCon

appstate38
October 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Thinking about some truly great plays that I have seen in SoCon football and the 3 that come to mind the quickest are:

1. GSU's Adrian Peterson running over what seemed to be the entire Penguin defense in rout to another National Championship. One of the greatest runs ever.

2. Sorry Paladins... Miracle on the Mountain. Going for 2 when 1 would do!

3. Finally Jason Hunter and Marques Murrell on the strip and recovery to seal the win in the '05 championship game.

What are some others that you can think of?

DuckDuckGriz
October 9th, 2007, 03:42 PM
From an outsider's perspective:
Ya gotta go with the Furman-GSU rivalry in 2000-2001 -- often #1 vs #2 or atleast a top 5 matchup. Furman upset the Eagles in 2000 when they didn't have AP, GSU beat em in the 1 vs 2 matchup in Statesboro in 01 - then the Paladins seek revenge when the two meet in the semis (which should be a great moment for the SoCon over all). Didn't Napier go 100% passing on the day?

Also Marshall's game winning kick in the 92 national championship.

KJ Eagle
October 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I like AP's "Son of The Run" against Montana in '00 as well.

DuckDuckGriz
October 9th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I like AP's "Son of The Run" against Montana in '00 as well.

I am not a fan.

KJ Eagle
October 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I am not a fan.

I wonder why??? xsmiley_wix

citdog
October 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Stump Mitchell running for Bobby Ross and the 'Dogs. Jack Douglas going in on 4th and goal with 22 seconds remaining to beat the Carolina Gamecocks. Beating Arkansas. RUINING GSU's Homecoming, which we will do again this year!

blueballs
October 9th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Corey Lynch's block of Michigan's game tying FG attempt on the last play of the game in September and ASU's win in general.

Adrian Peterson breaking the all time NCAA career rushing record against Wofford in 2001.

Adrian Peterson rushing for 333 yards, 5 TD's and a 2 point conversion against defending champion UMass in the 1999 playoffs.

The Citadel defeating Arkansas and AD Frank Broyles firing the Arkansas coach the next day.

Baldy
October 9th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Stump Mitchell running for Bobby Ross and the 'Dogs. Jack Douglas going in on 4th and goal with 22 seconds remaining to beat the Carolina Gamecocks. Beating Arkansas. RUINING GSU's Homecoming, which we will do again this year!
Strange...of all of GSU's greatest moments in history, not one of them include anything to do with Citadel. Wonder why? xeyebrowx xlolx

ElonPride
October 9th, 2007, 04:15 PM
How about Mike Mayers breaking 2 SoCon single game records against the defending national champs this season::D

1. Single game return yards (225)
2. Total All Purpose yards (387)

citdog
October 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Strange...of all of GSU's greatest moments in history, not one of them include anything to do with Citadel. Wonder why? xeyebrowx xlolx

because baldy is a nutless douchebag?

GaSouthern
October 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM
"2. Sorry Paladins... Miracle on the Mountain. Going for 2 when 1 would do!"

Still more amazing to me than the michigan upset!

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Thinking about some truly great plays that I have seen in SoCon football and the 3 that come to mind the quickest are:

1. GSU's Adrian Peterson running over what seemed to be the entire Penguin defense in rout to another National Championship. One of the greatest runs ever.

2. Sorry Paladins... Miracle on the Mountain. Going for 2 when 1 would do!

3. Finally Jason Hunter and Marques Murrell on the strip and recovery to seal the win in the '05 championship game.

What are some others that you can think of?

Umm...didn't one of our teams beat Michigan one year? xcoolx

I would add this...GSU's 38 point rally beggining at about 9 minutes or so left in the 3rd quarter to beat Furman 44-42...and the catch that scored the go-ahead TD.

Also, GSU's comeback against Furman in the '99 game.

This is a terrible moment for GSU and a great one for Furman: Furman being the first team ever to beat GSU in a home in a playoff game and getting their first ever win in Statesboro.

OL FU
October 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Umm...didn't one of our teams beat Michigan one year? xcoolx

I would add this...GSU's 38 point rally beggining at about 9 minutes or so left in the 3rd quarter to beat Furman 44-42...and the catch that scored the go-ahead TD.

Also, GSU's comeback against Furman in the '99 game.

This is a terrible moment for GSU and a great one for Furman: Furman being the first team ever to beat GSU in a home in a playoff game and getting their first ever win in Statesboro.

That wasn't a great moment for the SoCon since you weren't in the SoCon thenxrolleyesx :(

but it was an amazing game

TheCatamount
October 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM
* Western Carolina upsets #2 Furman in 2005 SOCON opener

* Western Carolina pulls amazing comeback and beats App State in 2004

* 1983 WCU team reaches NC game, but lose

* Western Carolina becomes the first team to shut out Wofford since they joined the SOCON

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM
2001 deserves some press.

- Furman was without Louis Ivory
- Broke GSU's insanely long winning streak at home and their unbeaten streak in the playoffs.

---

Worth mentioning is 1988 where Furman became, and still remains the only, private school to win a national title.

---

2005 William Freeman blocking Julian Rauch's game winning field goal at Furman for Lamb's first (and only) win over Appalachian.

---

And I will say it just because it was the most incredible football experience I've been a part of, but the 2004 #3 Furman v #2 GSU game.
- Jerome Felton puts the Paladins up
- Ike West runs an end around on the two point conversion to give FU a 7 pt lead
- Chaz Williams comes out passing their way down the field with under a minute to play
- Cam Newton secures victory with a great pass defense in the endzone while Mike Sewak inexplicably leaves a timeout on the field.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I also don't know if you can come up with any better matchups in talent than Ivory v Peterson and a few years later Martin v Williams.

blueballs
October 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I also don't know if you can come up with any better matchups in talent than Ivory v Peterson and a few years later Martin v Williams.

I'm not sure how many times two Payton Award winners have been competing in the same game... I don't think too many.

DuckDuckGriz
October 9th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Quarterbacks: Doug Nussmeier of Idaho (won it in 93) against Dave Dickenson of Monatna (95) might have been the closest but Ivory v. Peterson might be the only time the two had already won the award.

dungeonjoe
October 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Wofford's 2003 Southern Conference championship season and the playoff run stand out for me.

catamount man
October 9th, 2007, 06:47 PM
WCU upsetting #2 Marshall 38-30 on Halloween 1992 in Cullowhee.

WCU knocking off Furman in 1983 on CBS to advance to the national title game.

WCU scoring 10 points in the final minutes against ETSU in Cullowhee in 1983. 2 ETSU defenders tipped the ball into the hands of WR Eric Rasheed. An onside kick and a few plays later, future NFL fg kicker Dean Biasucci would nail a 40 plus fg just inside the uprights as the Cats knock off the Bucs 17-16.

WCU beating ASU in 1998 and 2004. Nothing else needs to be said!xbowx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

gophoenix
October 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
You have to think the 1994 VMI win over Appalachian has to be up there too. VMI was 0-10 at the time, won one game the season before, was on a 15 game losing streak and beat App at Boone 26-23.

i'm not saying this to stir up any App hatred, but this is one of the most unlikely wins ever.

ElonPride
October 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM
How many NC titles have come from teams in the SoCon (old SoCon teams like Marshall included)?

terrierbob
October 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
A slow FB (Michael Hobbs) running a dive play called just to get out of the shadows of our own goalposts and having his cleats sent to the college hall of fame because it went for 99 yards.

catamount man
October 9th, 2007, 07:51 PM
You have to think the 1994 VMI win over Appalachian has to be up there too. VMI was 0-10 at the time, won one game the season before, was on a 15 game losing streak and beat App at Boone 26-23.

i'm not saying this to stir up any App hatred, but this is one of the most unlikely wins ever.

To this day, it's still the biggest upset in the SoCon IMO. That day sucked for us as well. At 6-4, we still had an outside shot to land in the field of 16 until we blew a 24-10 lead and ETSU upended us in Cullowhee 34-31. I still have that heartbreaker on videotape. UGH!!!

GO CATS!!!

Eaglesrus
October 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM

Very interesting that one of your "great moments" centers around someone from south Georgia. I wonder how such a low class, low born guy managed to get into the Citadel?

appstate38
October 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah that blocked field goal at the Big House was kinda nice....
My junior year we beat Furman in 2OT's back in 1991 to win the first overtime game in the SoCon. One of the few times we won in Greenville. It was special.

LarryBoy
October 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
2007: Furman gets off to a disgustingly-bad 1-3 start, then wins 11 in a row to claim the school's second national title.

Don't you remember that?

Eyes of Old Main
October 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
WCU upsetting #2 Marshall 38-30 on Halloween 1992 in Cullowhee.

I was at that game and it was great.

Another memorable Western moment for me was the opening kickoff of a WCU/App game in Boone circa 1993 or 1994. App was kicking off and Western had Kerry Hayes (all-SoCon WR and KR) deep. The kick went over his head, hit the cross bar, bounced back and hit Hayes as he turned around. Knocked the wind right out of him. Amazing...

Eyes of Old Main
October 9th, 2007, 08:58 PM
One Wofford moment for me was the Georgia Southern game in 2003 at Gibbs. Kevious Johnson, a true freshman, scores three touchdowns to account for all Wofford's TD in the win (second in a row against GSU). The last of the three was on a breakaway where KJ met a GSU defender at about the 5 yard line and basically bashed him back intothe endzone. At that moment, I knew he was a special player and now having watched his whole career, I know I was right.

PaladinFan
October 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM
How many NC titles have come from teams in the SoCon (old SoCon teams like Marshall included)?

If you are strictly talking about our I-AA history...

GSU- 6
App- 2
Marshall-2
Furman-1

What is even more impressive is how many national final's have had a SoCon representative. Since IAA started in 1978 the SoCon has had a team in the national championship 18 times out of 29 years.

83,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93,95,96,98,99,00,01,05 ,06

appstate38
October 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM

GSU- 6
App- 2
Marshall-2
Furman-1

What is even more impressive is how many national final's have had a SoCon representative. Since IAA started in 1978 the SoCon has had a team in the national championship 18 times out of 29 years.

Yeap that is about right... The usual suspects. The big 3 (and Marshall xnonono2x )

MarkCCU
October 10th, 2007, 06:53 AM
2006 Season:
Furman Loses to Coastal Carolina University
Georgia Southerns Season

Sorry for the smack :)

ButlerGSU
October 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM
2006 Season:
Furman Loses to Coastal Carolina University
Georgia Southerns Season

Sorry for the smack :)

How many times has Coastal beat GSU? Oh yeah...

thirdgendin
October 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM

GSU- 6
App- 2
Marshall-2
Furman-1

GSU's titles from 85, 86, 89 and 90 don't count for the league since they were independents then.

SoCon national titles: (7) 88, 92, 96, 99, 00, 05, 06
SoCon runners-up: (8) 83, 85, 87, 91, 93, 95, 98, 01

15 times in the national championship game in 25 years (SoCon joined I-AA in 1982).

Appalachian State 2-0
Georgia Southern 2-1
Marshall 2-4
Furman 1-2
Western Carolina 0-1

CID1990
October 10th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Very interesting that one of your "great moments" centers around someone from south Georgia. I wonder how such a low class, low born guy managed to get into the Citadel?

Because there were no decent football teams to play for in south Georgia.

ButlerGSU
October 10th, 2007, 08:56 AM

HA! Notice how no one even mentions citadel in this thread? Because you all haven't ever been important to the SoCon. Win a national championship and then you can talk some smack.

Eaglesrus
October 10th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Okay, except that you miss the point. According to Citdog south Georgia and it's inhabitants are incapable of producing anyone who is worthy of even darkening the door of THE Citadel, so how did Stump Mitchell manage to get admitted?