PDA

View Full Version : College football fandom map

AmsterBison
June 29th, 2022, 10:12 AM
I really like this map but kinda wish it had more data points.

College Football Fan Map | Tableau Public (https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/matt.sorenson/viz/CollegeFootballFollowerMap/CollegeFootballMap)

ElCid
June 29th, 2022, 12:56 PM
I really like this map but kinda wish it had more data points.

College Football Fan Map | Tableau Public (https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/matt.sorenson/viz/CollegeFootballFollowerMap/CollegeFootballMap)

Hardly definitive as it is apparently only based on Twitter data. So yeah, more data points would be useful. Probably more accurate to say map of college fans who use Twitter.

OhioHen
June 29th, 2022, 01:19 PM
Hardly definitive as it is apparently only based on Twitter data. So yeah, more data points would be useful. Probably more accurate to say map of college fans who use Twitter.
Like the county in North Dakota that is 100% Wisconsin fans - because the ONE Twitter user that officially follows a team happens to follow the Badgers.

Mocs123
June 29th, 2022, 01:38 PM
Honestly I find it amazing that there are more Chattanooga Mocs followers in Hamilton County, TN than there are Alabama or Georgia followers.

Daytripper
June 29th, 2022, 02:09 PM
Can't they at least give Lake Charles to McNeese?

AmsterBison
June 29th, 2022, 05:17 PM
Like the county in North Dakota that is 100% Wisconsin fans - because the ONE Twitter user that officially follows a team happens to follow the Badgers.

Yeah, the smaller the sample size the bigger the margin of error, but NDSU's data does gibe with what I'd expect better than any other of these fandom maps I've seen. 200 people might not sound like a good sample slice but when it represents 1% of a county's population, the percentages probably aren't going to change much with more data. Now, Twitter users skew younger so there's that - and Twitter has a lot of bot accounts trying to do the whole "Hi, fellow USA person, I'm a salt-of-the-earth Alabama fan living in [insert city in battleground state] who has some surprisingly extreme political views that I'm going to share 35-40 times per day. Go Tide!"

I don't see the 100% Wisconsin county in ND, btw.

wapiti
June 29th, 2022, 05:34 PM
Several questions/issues with this map:

Just because a twitter user is following a team does not equal the person being a fan of said team.

I also saw where more teams were listed than the number of twitter users, such as Carter County, MT.

How did this entity harvest this data? This does not seem like something that Twitter would readily give away in mass.

I could probably come up with more questions about this map, but it is not worth the effort.

ElCid
June 29th, 2022, 06:15 PM
Several questions/issues with this map:

Just because a twitter user is following a team does not equal the person being a fan of said team.

I also saw where more teams were listed than the number of twitter users, such as Carter County, MT.

How did this entity harvest this data? This does not seem like something that Twitter would readily give away in mass.

I could probably come up with more questions about this map, but it is not worth the effort.

Exactly. All great points. Not the best method for making an evaluation, but it sells with the 5 second article reader.

OhioHen
June 29th, 2022, 07:54 PM
I don't see the 100% Wisconsin county in ND, btw.
Sheridan County

Puddin Tane
June 29th, 2022, 09:46 PM
Can't they at least give Lake Charles to McNeese?

naw. Ate in Lake Chuck by the campus. There was gawd awful purple and gold lsu crapola all over the restaurant walls.

looking at the map, they gave 1/2 of Beaumont to lsu also

Puddin Tane
June 29th, 2022, 09:53 PM
Hmm..clicked on the “data”..says lamar 28%, followed by lsu, then ut, then aggy.