PDA

View Full Version : This is what FCS Non conference slate should look like

caribbeanhen
June 22nd, 2022, 09:47 AM
Kennesaw St at Montana - Hooty takes flight so he can see a real FCS venue

Dartmouth at Jackson State - Dartmouth finally goes prime time and as word spreads through the tailgate that Dartmouth is ahead in the fourth quarter the Jackson State fans actually enter the stadium

Delaware at Southeastern Louisiana - Hens have long history in the Bayou state but never Hammond

North Dakota State at Alabama - let’s find out

Sacramento State at Furman - Big Sky vs Southern Classic

Northern Iowa at Mississippi Valley State - What New Jersey will Clenz dawn

Holy Cross at McNeese State - prayers to keep Hurricanes away

Eastern Washington at Harvard - nightmare for the oddsmakers

SF Austin at South Dakota State - early reality check for the hype coming out of Texas

Montana State at East Tennessee State - a playoff game in September

Mercer at Fordham - So I can treat FuBear at Chuchifritos to lift his spirits after mind numbing loss

Northern Arizona at Maine - because Arizona has no scary woods or even trees

Prairie View at Villanova - battle of The Country Panther vs the Urban Wildcat

North Carolina A&T at UC Davis - Farmers bowl

The Citadel at Columbia - will El Cid enter NYC

Florida A&M at Monmouth - because Monmouth fan wants 3000 fans to show up

North Dakota at Princeton - Ivies need these games

Richmond at VMI - The homecoming for Richmond transfers

Missouri State at Chattanooga - solid match up

Central Arkansas at New Hampshire - good game

Albany at Delaware State - State Capitol bowl

W Illinois at San Diego - Just because Illinois people need to see a pretty place

Lehigh at Long Island U - no particular reason other than Lehigh might actually win a game

Colgate at North Alabama - I figured those northern Alabama people could use as much toothpaste as they can get

Yale at Cal Poly - Good people of New Haven see real beach and never go back to Connecticut

Hampton at William and Mary - All the makings of a future rivalry

Incarnate Word and South Carolina State - ?

Jacksonville State at Sam Houston State - Capt Quint sings adios and farewell to my fair Spanish traders

DFW HOYA
June 22nd, 2022, 09:54 AM
If a school can get those games, of course. Not everyone can.

Sitting Bull
June 22nd, 2022, 10:11 AM

Dartmouth at Jackson State - Dartmouth finally goes prime time and as word spreads through the tailgate that Dartmouth is ahead in the fourth quarter the Jackson State fans actually enter the stadium

Delaware at Southeastern Louisiana - Hens have long history in the Bayou state but never Hammond

North Dakota State at Alabama - letÂ’s find out

SF Austin at South Dakota State - early reality check for the hype coming out of Texas

Mercer at Fordham - So I can treat FuBear at Chuchifritos to lift his spirits after mind numbing loss

W Illinois at San Diego - Just because Illinois people need to see a pretty place

Lehigh at Long Island U - no particular reason other than Lehigh might actually win a game

Colgate at North Alabama - I figured those northern Alabama people could use as much toothpaste as they can get

Yale at Cal Poly - Good people of New Haven see real beach and never go back to Connecticut

Jacksonville State at Sam Houston State - Capt Quint sings adios and farewell to my fair Spanish traders

I found this interesting until the Hampton at W&M. Nothing new there. We played as recently as 3 years ago and lead the series 8-0. Instead of an every other year OOC, this will now be an annual in conference game starting this year.

I would rather see W&M play Cal Poly, South Dakota or Cornell. Any would be first time events.

POD Knows
June 22nd, 2022, 11:01 AM

Northern AZ is in Flagstaff, Flagstaff is on top of a mountain and they have tons of trees..

ST_Lawson
June 22nd, 2022, 11:19 AM

Northern AZ is in Flagstaff, Flagstaff is on top of a mountain and they have tons of trees..

They are literally the "Lumberjacks" and are located in the middle of the Coconino National Forest.
This is what the campus looks like right next to the Walkup Skydome: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1819647,-111.6529254,3a,60y,248.79h,88.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sErj1W_Ge9qvsj8gcUZdihg!2e0!7i1 6384!8i8192

It's one of the most wooded college campuses I've ever seen.

WestCoastAggie
June 22nd, 2022, 11:19 AM
The Farmers Bowl. LOL

MR. CHICKEN
June 22nd, 2022, 11:22 AM

....HE WAS GOIN' FOR HUMOR...NOT FACT.........(AN' DAT LINE...WAS THE BEST OF 'EM ALL)........BIZONSSSSS ARE SO UPTIGHT......xsighx....BRAWK!

caribbeanhen
June 22nd, 2022, 11:23 AM
They are literally the "Lumberjacks" and are located in the middle of the Coconino National Forest.
This is what the campus looks like right next to the Walkup Skydome: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1819647,-111.6529254,3a,60y,248.79h,88.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sErj1W_Ge9qvsj8gcUZdihg!2e0!7i1 6384!8i8192

It's one of the most wooded college campuses I've ever seen.

I figured that comment was gonna earn me an education! Thanks

I went through Arizona about four decades ago on a family trip in a green and brown station wagon. The route we took certainly wasn’t the Trees Route....

caribbeanhen
June 22nd, 2022, 11:29 AM
....HE WAS GOIN' FOR HUMOR...NOT FACT.........(AN' DAT LINE...WAS THE BEST OF 'EM ALL)........BIZONSSSSS ARE SO UPTIGHT......xsighx....BRAWK!

Mixing in some humor, insults and compliments with some actual interesting games Mr C

caribbeanhen
June 22nd, 2022, 11:33 AM
I found this interesting until the Hampton at W&M. Nothing new there. We played as recently as 3 years ago and lead the series 8-0. Instead of an every other year OOC, this will now be an annual in conference game starting this year.

I would rather see W&M play Cal Poly, South Dakota or Cornell. Any would be first time events.

Well bring Howard down to Colonial town and call it the wine and cheese bowl

thanks for the background.... like I said, lots of learning left to do yet. I had totally forgotten you played Hampton

ST_Lawson
June 22nd, 2022, 11:36 AM
I figured that comment was gonna earn me an education! Thanks

I went through Arizona about four decades ago on a family trip in a green and brown station wagon. The route we took certainly wasn’t the Trees Route....

You take I-10/8 through the south/past Tucson and Phoenix and you're not going to get much greenery outside of some cactus, so that's understandable.
There is, however, a band across much of central AZ (actually starts in western NM) and curves up towards the Grand Canyon that is higher altitude, gets a bit more rain, and is heavily wooded.

I was out there for the first time in October last year (Sedona/Flagstaff/Grand Canyon areas) and was also quite surprised at the level of greenery I found.

Maybe you could have NAU play SFA and work with the Lumberjack theme. Looks like they've only played each other 3 times total, all games between 2001 and 2016, and in general it seems like it would be a fairly even matchup many years. That'd be a fun non-conference matchup to see every now and then.

JALMOND
June 22nd, 2022, 11:36 AM

Portland State at Maine---Portland, Oregon was actually named for Portland, Maine, thanks to a coin flip.

FUBeAR
June 22nd, 2022, 12:18 PM
LOL - very nice work…and FUBeAR would LOVE Chuchifritos for a victory celebration after the Bears mauled Fordham. They prolly know how to cook up some excellent cabritas!

Sitting Bull
June 22nd, 2022, 12:44 PM
Well bring Howard down to Colonial town and call it the wine and cheese bowl

thanks for the background.... like I said, lots of learning left to do yet. I had totally forgotten you played Hampton

Yawn. Prefer burgers and dope with the Cal Poly crew. We can play Jeopardy at halftime.

Henny
June 22nd, 2022, 12:49 PM

The Hens have three great playoff wins including a National Championship in that state.!

San Louis Obispo (Cal Poly) is not on the beach but its a great college town and a nice stop on the El Camino between SF and LA!

Libertine
June 22nd, 2022, 12:51 PM

I've driven the cliff-hugging "highway" from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Arizona does not need an expanse of trees to help it be scary.

xlolxxlolx It's funny cuz it's true.

POD Knows
June 22nd, 2022, 12:54 PM
....HE WAS GOIN' FOR HUMOR...NOT FACT.........(AN' DAT LINE...WAS THE BEST OF 'EM ALL)........BIZONSSSSS ARE SO UPTIGHT......xsighx....BRAWK!I get it was humor and all good humor has a basis in fact, just sayin, a lot of people don't know that Flagstaff is located in and near major forest areas, but yea, not a lot of trees in the rest of the wasteland of AZ

TribeNomad1
June 22nd, 2022, 01:00 PM
I get it was humor and all good humor has a basis in fact, just sayin, a lot of people don't know that Flagstaff is located in and near major forest areas, but yea, not a lot of trees in the rest of the wasteland of AZ

Northern Arizona is one of my fav. places. Sedona a bit too New Age, but beautiful. We have been out there a few times in the last few years. S. Arizona, though the desert has its own beauty, too hot for me.

TribeNomad1
June 22nd, 2022, 01:06 PM
Yawn. Prefer burgers and dope with the Cal Poly crew. We can play Jeopardy at halftime.

I recall a game with HU at the burg. If I recall they had a super speedy wideout that we could not cover, if they had more at other places, we would not have prevailed. Early round playoff game. Then the game there with the controversial down/not down call that enraged the HU Prez. so much he came onto the field.

taper
June 22nd, 2022, 01:08 PM
NDSU has a better chance of beating Alabama than an Ivy school traveling to Jackson St.

POD Knows
June 22nd, 2022, 01:28 PM
NDSU has a better chance of beating Alabama than an Ivy school traveling to Jackson St.Disagree, I could absolutely see an Ivy going to Jackson State.

caribbeanhen
June 22nd, 2022, 01:48 PM
I inadvertently left Youngstown State off the schedule, probably several more

atthewbon
June 22nd, 2022, 02:07 PM
We need a three way series between SFA, NAU, and SDSU to see who truly holds the “jacks” nickname.

caribbeanhen
June 22nd, 2022, 02:15 PM

Seriously though, have you played Cal Poly? Did Marsha Brady or Michelle Phillips show up?

Sitting Bull
June 22nd, 2022, 03:01 PM
Seriously though, have you played Cal Poly? Did Marsha Brady or Michelle Phillips show up?

I guess it’s my age, I would be looking for Angie Dickinson. No, we’ve never played but based on your theme, I thought it was to pair possible intriguing match-ups within FCS. I think given the academic profiles, Cal Poly would be a cool option for W&M. We’re still waiting to see if the game we had set at Stanford in 2020 (cancelled by covid) is being rescheduled.

ST_Lawson
June 22nd, 2022, 04:08 PM
I've driven the cliff-hugging "highway" from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Arizona does not need an expanse of trees to help it be scary.

Almost 6k feet of elevation increase in that stretch. It's not quite like going straight up a mountain in Colorado or something, but that stretch is pretty much just all a gradual incline.
Elevation 4000 sign...4 minutes later....Elevation 5000 sign...6 minutes later...Elevation 6000 sign.

NY Crusader 2010
June 22nd, 2022, 04:11 PM
Disagree, I could absolutely see an Ivy going to Jackson State.

Nah, too many NIL deals getting signed at Jackson State under Prime Time. I could see Harvard playing a series with Howard, Yale scheduling someone like NC A&T or Princeton doing a home-and-home with Hampton or Delaware State.

NY Crusader 2010
June 22nd, 2022, 04:17 PM

Holy Cross v. McNeese State could have happened in the 2009 NCAA Quarterfinals. Unfortunately we lost a fairly competitive game against seeded and eventual national champ Villanova while McNeese was defeated on their home field by New Hampshire.

Had Holy Cross upset 'Nova and the other result upheld, I actually think we end up beating UNH in the quarters that year. Assuming a Saturday afternoon kickoff, that game would have been held during a winter storm in either Worcester or Durham and for whatever reason our team played very well in bad weather that year -- strange considering our pass-heavy offense in '09. I have no idea how we would have matched up against McNeese in Lake Charles had both first round results been flipped -- but I would've enjoyed the trip.

bonarae
June 22nd, 2022, 04:59 PM
Wow. What an amazing wish list that you compiled, CaribbeanHen.

But sometimes, wish lists are still wish lists... especially Ivy OOCs. xsmhx

SFA 93
June 22nd, 2022, 06:04 PM
Jacksonville State (in Alabama)
@ Alcorn State
@ Louisiana Tech

Is well enough for SFA.

taper
June 22nd, 2022, 06:11 PM
Disagree, I could absolutely see an Ivy going to Jackson State.
Wake me up the next time an Ivy travels to a low academic public school for football. Maybe they do Jackson St for reasons I don't want to get into but I'll believe it when I see it.

POD Knows
June 22nd, 2022, 06:24 PM
Wake me up the next time an Ivy travels to a low academic public school for football. Maybe they do Jackson St for reasons I don't want to get into but I'll believe it when I see it.Your last sentence is the key driver here, the things that can’t be said are what would drive a game. The academics are irrelevant but the odds of an Ivy game vs JSU are better than NDSU ever playing Alabama as long as NDSU is FCS.

Tribe4SF
June 22nd, 2022, 06:35 PM
I recall a game with HU at the burg. If I recall they had a super speedy wideout that we could not cover, if they had more at other places, we would not have prevailed. Early round playoff game. Then the game there with the controversial down/not down call that enraged the HU Prez. so much he came onto the field.

Both memorable games. The "98 game at Hampton had them ranked #2 in the country and I refer to that one as "The Robbery by the Sea" game. Watched the key play from the fence with the then head of the HU Physics Department and clearly saw dust rise when receivers hip hit the ground at mid-field. Every ref who had a view of the play was fired by the MEAC the following week.

The 2004 playoff game was The Tribe against Jerome Mathis. One of the greatest coaching jobs I've ever seen as they found limitless ways to get the ball to him in space. We kicked off out-of-bounds at one point and HU made us kick it again. Mathis ran it back for a TD. He was a rookie All-Pro KR the following year for Houston Texans but dynamited his career with bad behavior.

MUHAWKS
June 22nd, 2022, 08:34 PM
this is great

NY Crusader 2010
June 22nd, 2022, 08:51 PM
How about William & Mary @ Cornell -- a "public Ivy" versus an Ivy that's actually partially a public school. Also if the historian in me is correct, Cornell is the only Ivy school that the Tribe has yet to face on the gridiron. I THINK they played Columbia at some point pre-WWII.

ElCid
June 22nd, 2022, 09:01 PM

Eh, I've been there quite a few times. At least a dozen. Just not recently. Back in the 70s and 80s mostly. We did play Princeton in a H&H about 12-13 years ago. But you are right, it would be difficult for me. I do need to take my dad north one more time before he gets too old though.

caribbeanhen
June 23rd, 2022, 05:36 AM
this is great

The replies are golden, so much history

here is Craig Haley’s list of some interesting early FCS games

https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/06/10-best-season-opening-games-in-fcs-college-football/

NY Crusader 2010
June 23rd, 2022, 06:49 AM
Wake me up the next time an Ivy travels to a low academic public school for football. Maybe they do Jackson St for reasons I don't want to get into but I'll believe it when I see it.

Harvard played a 4-year series with URI from 2016-2019. Obviously, Brown plays URI every year.
Dartmouth regularly plays UNH.
Yale played UCONN last year and a series with Maine recently.
Princeton has begun playing Monmouth as of a few years ago.

I don't like to refer to schools as "low academic" because I could care less about any of those rankings they put out there. There are highly successful people that come out of just about every school. But UConn, URI, UNH and Monmouth aren't exactly in the class of William & Mary, UNC, Miami (Ohio), UVA or Cal-Berkeley.

Sitting Bull
June 23rd, 2022, 08:50 AM
Both memorable games. The "98 game at Hampton had them ranked #2 in the country and I refer to that one as "The Robbery by the Sea" game. Watched the key play from the fence with the then head of the HU Physics Department and clearly saw dust rise when receivers hip hit the ground at mid-field. Every ref who had a view of the play was fired by the MEAC the following week.

The 2004 playoff game was The Tribe against Jerome Mathis. One of the greatest coaching jobs I've ever seen as they found limitless ways to get the ball to him in space. We kicked off out-of-bounds at one point and HU made us kick it again. Mathis ran it back for a TD. He was a rookie All-Pro KR the following year for Houston Texans but dynamited his career with bad behavior.

That 2004 opening playoff was a wild game. Mathis had 3 TDS including the 93yd KO return you mentioned. Fortunately we had a gent named Dominique Thompson who had some big plays of his own for the Tribe that allowed the Tribe to pull away.

Box Score

Box Score (Final)
#11 Hampton vs #6 William & Mary (Nov 27, 2004 at Williamsburg, VA)

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Hampton............. 13 0 8 14 - 35 Record: (10-2,6-1)
William & Mary...... 0 7 14 21 - 42 Record: (10-2,7-1)

Scoring Summary:
1st 10:59 HAM - Daniels,Ardell 1 yd run (Paterini,Andrew kick), 4-51 1:35, HAM 7 - WM 0
03:31 HAM - Mathis,Jerome 80 yd pass from Shepherd,Prince (Paterini,Andrew kick blockd), 1-80 0:14, HAM 13 - WM 0
2nd 09:23 WM - Adam Bratton 8 yd pass from Lang Campbell (Greg Kuehn kick), 8-80 3:06, HAM 13 - WM 7
3rd 13:08 WM - Domin. Thompson 27 yd pass from Lang Campbell (Greg Kuehn kick), 4-74 1:52, HAM 13 - WM 14
12:55 HAM - Mathis,Jerome 93 yd kickoff return (Morgan,Jason pass from Shepherd,Prince), , HAM 21 - WM 14
05:33 WM - Jon Smith 4 yd run (Greg Kuehn kick), 5-56 1:27, HAM 21 - WM 21
4th 12:01 HAM - Mathis,Jerome 43 yd pass from Shepherd,Prince (Paterini,Andrew kick), 7-78 2:59, HAM 28 - WM 21
11:47 WM - Domin. Thompson 92 yd kickoff return (Greg Kuehn kick), , HAM 28 - WM 28
09:58 WM - Domin. Thompson 45 yd pass from Lang Campbell (Greg Kuehn kick), 1-45 0:09, HAM 28 - WM 35
01:56 WM - Jon Smith 4 yd run (Greg Kuehn kick), 4-60 1:53, HAM 28 - WM 42
00:32 HAM - Shepherd,Prince 7 yd run (Paterini,Andrew kick), 8-56 1:24, HAM 35 - WM 42

This win led to the quarterfinal game against Delaware where the Tribe came back down 35-14 in Q4 to win in OT, 44-38. Then the semifinal loss to JMU on ESPN national tv and sold out Zable. This run totally re-ignited W&M football - led to lights and night games, regular sellouts on big games, the Laycock Center and the eventual reconstruction of Zable Stadium.

The Eagle's Cliff
June 23rd, 2022, 09:03 AM
I would pay money just to see the Ivy's get curb-stomped by any middle-of-the-pack scholarship FCS team. It's amazing that they expand their echo chamber to include athletics.

caribbeanhen
June 23rd, 2022, 09:17 AM
I would pay money just to see the Ivy's get curb-stomped by any middle-of-the-pack scholarship FCS team. It's amazing that they expand their echo chamber to include athletics.

Ironically money. As in getting paid off, might be the only thing that could keep these games close as the Ivies actually handle middle of the road FCS teams these days, just check the scores

ysubigred
June 23rd, 2022, 09:49 AM
I inadvertently left Youngstown State off the schedule, probably several moreUmm.. Pengino envy?

[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sitting Bull
June 23rd, 2022, 11:49 AM
Ironically money. As in getting paid off, might be the only thing that could keep these games close as the Ivies actually handle middle of the road FCS teams these days, just check the scores

I would agree with this. W&M has played a fair number of Ivies over the past 30 years and despite winning most, the games have been more competitive overall than I would have thought. We last played Penn about 10 years ago and escaped there with a 34-28 win. I wish we played some league members more often.

Iridebikes
June 23rd, 2022, 02:27 PM
Thats what I thought with the EWU at Harvard game. They're not going to play us. We don't have the presumed academic creds nor the money

POD Knows
June 23rd, 2022, 05:36 PM
Thats what I thought with the EWU at Harvard game. They're not going to play us. We don't have the presumed academic creds nor the moneyThat isn't why they won't play you, you BRING nothing to the TABLE, no MARKERS in the big game. No Social Credits at play, you are just some western directional college.

KPSUL
June 23rd, 2022, 07:06 PM

Is this enough varsity teams to expand Harvard's echo chamber:

WOMEN'S SPORTS
Basketball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-basketball?path=wbball)
Cross Country (https://gocrimson.com/sports/cross-country?path=cross)
Fencing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-fencing?path=wfence)
Field Hockey (https://gocrimson.com/sports/field-hockey?path=fhockey)
Golf (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-golf?path=wgolf)
Ice Hockey (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey?path=whockey)
Lacrosse (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-lacrosse?path=wlax)
Heavyweight Rowing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-heavyweight-rowing?path=whrow)
Lightweight Rowing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-lightweight-rowing?path=wrom)
Rugby (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-rugby?path=wrugby)

Sailing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-sailing?path=sail)
Skiing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/alpine-skiing?path=skiing)
Soccer (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-soccer?path=wsoc)
Softball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/softball?path=softball)
Squash (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-squash?path=wsquash)
Swimming and Diving (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-swimming-and-diving?path=wswim)
Tennis (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-tennis?path=wten)
Track & Field (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-track-and-field?path=track)
Volleyball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-volleyball?path=wvball)
Water Polo (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-water-polo?path=wwpolo)

MEN'S SPORTS
Baseball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/baseball?path=baseball)
Basketball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-basketball?path=mbball)
Cross Countr (https://gocrimson.com/sports/cross-country?path=cross)y
Fencing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-fencing?path=mfence)
Football (https://gocrimson.com/sports/football?path=football)
Golf (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-golf?path=mgolf)
Ice Hockey (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey?path=mhockey)
Lacrosse (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-lacrosse?path=mlax)
Heavyweight Rowing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-heavyweight-rowing?path=mhrow)
Lightweight Rowing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-lightweight-rowing?path=mrow)

Sailing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-sailing?path=sail)
Skiing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/alpine-skiing?path=skiing)
Soccer (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-soccer?path=msoc)
Squash (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-squash?path=msquash)
Swimming and Diving (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-swimming-and-diving?path=mswim)
Tennis (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-tennis?path=mten)
Track & Field (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-track-and-field?path=track)
Volleyball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-volleyball?path=mvball)
Water Polo (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-water-polo?path=mwpolo)
Wrestling (https://gocrimson.com/sports/wrestling?path=wrestling)

POD Knows
June 23rd, 2022, 07:09 PM
Is this enough varsity teams to expand Harvard's echo chamber:

WOMEN'S SPORTS
Basketball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-basketball?path=wbball)Tickets (https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/default.asp?doWork%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle =Load&BOparam%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle%3A%3Aartic le_id=E8F0ABAB-F250-48ED-8F64-9812ECA9A7D1&utm_source=GoCrimson&utm_medium=Drop%20Down%20Menu&utm_campaign=WBasketball_GoCrimson_Dropdown)Schedu le (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wbball)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardWBB)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardwbb)
Cross Country (https://gocrimson.com/sports/cross-country?path=cross)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=cross)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=cross)Twitter (https://twitter.com/harvardtrack_xc)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardtrack_xc)
Fencing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-fencing?path=wfence)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wfence)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wfence)Twitter (https://twitter.com/harvardfencing)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardfencing)
Field Hockey (https://gocrimson.com/sports/field-hockey?path=fhockey)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=fhockey)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=fhockey)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardFH)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardfieldhockey)
Golf (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-golf?path=wgolf)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wgolf)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wgolf)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Harvardwgolf)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardgolf)
Ice Hockey (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey?path=whockey)Tickets (https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/default.asp?doWork%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle =Load&BOparam%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle%3A%3Aartic le_id=0B97FC75-4479-48C9-8421-B8A178F639EF&utm_source=GoCrimson&utm_medium=Drop%20Down%20Menu&utm_campaign=WHockey_GoCrimson_Dropdown)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=whockey)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=whockey)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardWHockey)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardwomenshockey)
Lacrosse (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-lacrosse?path=wlax)Tickets (https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/default.asp?doWork%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle =Load&BOparam%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle%3A%3Aartic le_id=17495B0F-D30D-4EF3-B310-684E39CEFCCB&utm_source=GoCrimson&utm_medium=Drop%20Down%20Menu&utm_campaign=WLax_GoCrimson_Dropdown)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wlax)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wlax)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardWLax)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardwlax)
Heavyweight Rowing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-heavyweight-rowing?path=whrow)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=whrow)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=whrow)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Radhwtcrew)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Radhwtcrew)
Lightweight Rowing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-lightweight-rowing?path=wrom)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wrom)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wrom)Twitter (https://twitter.com/radlwtcrew)Instagram (https://instagram.com/radlwtcrew)
Rugby (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-rugby?path=wrugby)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wrugby)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wrugby)Twitter (https://twitter.com/RadcliffeRugby)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardwrugby)

Sailing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-sailing?path=sail)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=sail)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=sail)Twitter (https://twitter.com/harvardsailing)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardsailing)
Skiing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/alpine-skiing?path=skiing)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=skiing)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=skiing)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Harvardski)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardalpine)
Soccer (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-soccer?path=wsoc)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wsoc)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Harvard_WSoccer)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardwomenssoccer)
Softball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/softball?path=softball)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=softball)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=softball)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardSB)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardsb)
Squash (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-squash?path=wsquash)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wsquash)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wsquash)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Harvardsquash)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardsquash)
Swimming and Diving (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-swimming-and-diving?path=wswim)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wswim)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wswim)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardSwimDive)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardwomenswimdive)
Tennis (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-tennis?path=wten)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wten)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wten)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardWTennis)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardwomenstennis)
Track & Field (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-track-and-field?path=track)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=track)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=track)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardTrack_XC)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardtrack_xc)
Volleyball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-volleyball?path=wvball)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wvball)Twitter (https://twitter.com/harvardwvball)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardwvball)
Water Polo (https://gocrimson.com/sports/womens-water-polo?path=wwpolo)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wwpolo)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wwpolo)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardH2OPolo)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardwopo)

MEN'S SPORTS
Baseball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/baseball?path=baseball)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardBaseball)Instagram (https://instagram.com/HarvardBaseball)
Basketball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-basketball?path=mbball)Tickets (https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/default.asp?doWork%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle =Load&BOparam%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle%3A%3Aartic le_id=8A3BA5DB-EDBD-4174-A76B-8B23D5288B19&utm_source=GoCrimson&utm_medium=Drop%20Down%20Menu&utm_campaign=MBasketball_GoCrimson_Dropdown)Schedu le (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardMBB)Instagram (https://instagram.com/HarvardMBB)
Cross Country (https://gocrimson.com/sports/cross-country?path=cross)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=cross)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=cross)Twitter (https://twitter.com/harvardtrack_xc)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardtrack_xc)
Fencing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-fencing?path=mfence)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mfence)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mfence)Twitter (https://twitter.com/harvardfencing)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardfencing)
Football (https://gocrimson.com/sports/football?path=football)Tickets (https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/default.asp?doWork%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle =Load&BOparam%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle%3A%3Aartic le_id=11B0DCD6-05AC-4759-AF95-70B184A3D972&utm_source=GoCrimson&utm_medium=Drop%20Down%20Menu&utm_campaign=Football_GoCrimson_Dropdown)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=football)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=football)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardFootball)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardfootball)
Golf (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-golf?path=mgolf)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mgolf)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mgolf)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Harvardmensgolf)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardgolf)
Ice Hockey (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey?path=mhockey)Tickets (https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/default.asp?doWork%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle =Load&BOparam%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle%3A%3Aartic le_id=B8136E3F-E591-4F66-A6E8-67724A4F3F81&utm_source=GoCrimson&utm_medium=Drop%20Down%20Menu&utm_campaign=MHockey_GoCrimson_Dropdown)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardMHockey)Instagram (https://instagram.com/HarvardMHockey)
Lacrosse (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-lacrosse?path=mlax)Tickets (https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/default.asp?doWork%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle =Load&BOparam%3A%3AWScontent%3A%3AloadArticle%3A%3Aartic le_id=3A26A2FA-3636-4A7A-B6AB-832D1A35A0AC&utm_source=GoCrimson&utm_medium=Drop%20Down%20Menu&utm_campaign=MLax_GoCrimson_Dropdown)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mlax)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardMLax)Instagram (https://instagram.com/HarvardMLacrosse)
Heavyweight Rowing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-heavyweight-rowing?path=mhrow)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhrow)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mhrow)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Harvardheavies)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardheavies)
Lightweight Rowing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-lightweight-rowing?path=mrow)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mrow)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mrow)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Harvard_Lights)Instagram (https://instagram.com/HarvardLights)

Sailing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-sailing?path=sail)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=sail)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=sail)Twitter (https://twitter.com/harvardsailing)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardsailing)
Skiing (https://gocrimson.com/sports/alpine-skiing?path=skiing)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=skiing)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=skiing)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Harvardski)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardalpine)
Soccer (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-soccer?path=msoc)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=msoc)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=msoc)Twitter (https://twitter.com/harvardmsoccer)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardmsoccer)
Squash (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-squash?path=msquash)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=msquash)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=msquash)Twitter (https://twitter.com/Harvardsquash)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardsquash)
Swimming and Diving (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-swimming-and-diving?path=mswim)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mswim)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mswim)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardSwimDive)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardmenswimdive)
Tennis (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-tennis?path=mten)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mten)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mten)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardMTennis)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardmenstennis)
Track & Field (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-track-and-field?path=track)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=track)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=track)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardTrack_XC)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardtrack_xc)
Volleyball (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-volleyball?path=mvball)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mvball)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mvball)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardMVB)Instagram (https://instagram.com/Harvardmvball)
Water Polo (https://gocrimson.com/sports/mens-water-polo?path=mwpolo)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=mwpolo)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=mwpolo)Twitter (https://twitter.com/HarvardH2OPolo)Instagram (https://instagram.com/harvardwopo)
Wrestling (https://gocrimson.com/sports/wrestling?path=wrestling)Schedule (https://gocrimson.com/schedule.aspx?path=wrestling)Roster (https://gocrimson.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling)

Are they any good at any of those????

bonarae
June 23rd, 2022, 07:25 PM
Are they any good at any of those????

Not really good in the sports we easily recognize... xsighx

Go...gate
June 23rd, 2022, 10:57 PM
Nice matchups for Colgate and Princeton. Great thread!

unknown-swac
June 24th, 2022, 12:13 AM
HBCU fans would be bored to death and probably not show up in numbers to see those games. I mean, if we're being honest. I mean I get it, competition, somethin somethin...but also, money.

caribbeanhen
June 24th, 2022, 06:32 AM
Umm.. Pengino envy?

[emoji1787]

You know I love my Antarctic Penguino’s, not sure why one would ever end up in Youngstown though

I admit I have no clue on why you are called the penguins ....please tell as I suspect I’m not the only one

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
June 26th, 2022, 05:26 PM
If there are any two teams I would like to see ETSU play, they would be:

- Incarnate Word - especially if the Bucs make the trek to San Antonio (I live there these days)
- Norfolk State - they are my grad school alma mater (the men's BB teams faced off in El Paso a few years ago with the Bucs coming out on top)

bonarae
June 26th, 2022, 07:44 PM
Meanwhile....

Why are some of you not buying inter-regional regular season games between full-scholarship FCS teams (HBCUs excepted)? xchinscratchx

The Ivies should schedule these types of games before I go crazy on them and desert my support of them in football at least.

caribbeanhen
June 26th, 2022, 10:35 PM
Meanwhile....

Why are some of you not buying inter-regional regular season games between full-scholarship FCS teams (HBCUs excepted)? xchinscratchx

The Ivies should schedule these types of games before I go crazy on them and desert my support of them in football at least.

The Ivy Non conference schedule is as boring and weak as it gets in 2022

AmsterBison
June 29th, 2022, 10:59 AM

North Dakota State at Wisconsin would be so much better.

MSUBobcat
July 1st, 2022, 10:36 AM
Not really good in the sports we easily recognize... xsighx

Harvard holds their own in men's hockey. Maybe that's not a sport this board easily recognizes. xdontknowx

ElCid
July 1st, 2022, 07:15 PM
Harvard holds their own in men's hockey. Maybe that's not a sport this board easily recognizes. xdontknowx

Hoc-key. What's that?

NY Crusader 2010
July 1st, 2022, 09:56 PM

Harvard basketball has also been pretty darn good the last 15 years.

caribbeanhen
July 2nd, 2022, 05:25 AM
North Dakota State at Wisconsin would be so much better.

thats a pick em game

ysubigred
July 2nd, 2022, 07:57 AM
You know I love my Antarctic Penguino’s, not sure why one would ever end up in Youngstown though

I admit I have no clue on why you are called the penguins ....please tell as I suspect I’m not the only oneHere is the story... "Penguins" nickname came to be. Both stories come from the same cold evening on Jan. 30, 1933, when the men's basketball team was playing at West Liberty State.
The first account is that a spectator said the team looked like Penguins as they stomped the floor and swung their arms. Without the team having an official nickname, fans took a liking to the word. A second account states that, on the way to West Liberty State with up to two feet of snow on the roads, passengers in Bennett Kunicki's car were discussing possible nicknames. "Penguins" was brought up and was well received by everyone in the car. The nickname was mentioned to members of the team at the gym that evening, and they thought it was perfect.

caribbeanhen
July 2nd, 2022, 09:20 AM
Here is the story... "Penguins" nickname came to be. Both stories come from the same cold evening on Jan. 30, 1933, when the men's basketball team was playing at West Liberty State.
The first account is that a spectator said the team looked like Penguins as they stomped the floor and swung their arms. Without the team having an official nickname, fans took a liking to the word. A second account states that, on the way to West Liberty State with up to two feet of snow on the roads, passengers in Bennett Kunicki's car were discussing possible nicknames. "Penguins" was brought up and was well received by everyone in the car. The nickname was mentioned to members of the team at the gym that evening, and they thought it was perfect.

good stuff!

ngineer
July 5th, 2022, 04:10 PM

Any given year, the top 3 or 4 Ivy schools can play with anyone in the top 10 FCS. Their current ability to recruit nationwide with high name recognition and, in essence, giving full rides to many of their players based upon their "need based aid formulas" provides them with the ability to walk into any living room in America and go head to head. Princeton regularly has a roster well in excess of 100. It's a damn shame the IL has their 'holier than thou' attitude by not participating in the playoffs. A lot of eyes would be opened.

caribbeanhen
July 5th, 2022, 05:00 PM
Any given year, the top 3 or 4 Ivy schools can play with anyone in the top 10 FCS. Their current ability to recruit nationwide with high name recognition and, in essence, giving full rides to many of their players based upon their "need based aid formulas" provides them with the ability to walk into any living room in America and go head to head. Princeton regularly has a roster well in excess of 100. It's a damn shame the IL has their 'holier than thou' attitude by not participating in the playoffs. A lot of eyes would be opened.

I couldn’t agree more

DFW HOYA
July 5th, 2022, 08:05 PM

As a fan of a school "with high name recognition and, in essence, giving full rides to many of their players based upon their "need based aid formulas" provides them with the ability to walk into any living room in America and go head to head..." it doesn't work like that.

taper
July 5th, 2022, 09:31 PM

I couldn't disagree more. Saying the Ivy should have 3-4 in the top 10 is pure stupidity. The unwillingness of east coast privates to travel means they play such an insular schedule they have no comparison to the wider FCS. There are tons of schools west of the Mississippi that would jump at the chance for an Ivy home and home. The only thing stopping that is the Ivy secretly knows they'd be destroyed. I don't care about cherry picked CAA match ups from 10 years ago. The Ivy would show they're little different from the PL. Think I'm wrong? Get Ivy ADs on the phone and schedule games.

caribbeanhen
July 5th, 2022, 11:08 PM
I couldn't disagree more. Saying the Ivy should have 3-4 in the top 10 is pure stupidity. The unwillingness of east coast privates to travel means they play such an insular schedule they have no comparison to the wider FCS. There are tons of schools west of the Mississippi that would jump at the chance for an Ivy home and home. The only thing stopping that is the Ivy secretly knows they'd be destroyed. I don't care about cherry picked CAA match ups from 10 years ago. The Ivy would show they're little different from the PL. Think I'm wrong? Get Ivy ADs on the phone and schedule games.

You might want to check some scores and watch some games

bonarae
July 6th, 2022, 02:36 AM

Yes, I agree with your opinion. We seem to be running out of ideas for Ivies to stay relevant in the FCS xbawlingx xsighx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
March 25th, 2023, 02:59 PM

South Dakota State st Furman on August 30th

FUBeAR
March 25th, 2023, 03:17 PM

South Dakota State st Furman on August 30th
Hmm? … an exciting Wednesday night showdown that will be a tune-up for when Tennessee Tech visits the Paladins the following evening.
https://media.istockphoto.com/id/1297143254/vector/sailor-man-confused-cartoon-character-vector-illustration-in-a-flat-style-isolated.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=m0sX7ku3RPKPJQGek5suG5n0rf1oQviUm2Awiu8ixg0=

KPSUL
March 25th, 2023, 04:11 PM

Top 3 or 4 "any given year" and "top 10" is way to generous. And you have absolutely no data to prove that. Any Ivy league team playing an FCS top 10 team is a rare occurrence.

I'm aware of only two significant series where an Ivy plays an FCS Team that occasionally cracks the Top 10. Over the past 30 years Dartmouth has played UNH about every other year, the Big Green have won twice, neither time was UNH anywhere near the top 10. The one season Dartmouth won decisively they were ranked in the Top 25 and went on to be Ivy Champs - UNH had it's only losing record in 20 years. That would make Dartmouth 2-15 vs UNH since the 1980s. Penn is 1 -13 vs Villanova over the past 30 years.

Any given year the top FCS 10 is comprised of a majority of teams from the Big Sky and MVFC - how many times have you seen a game between a ranked BSky or MVFC team and an Ivy over the past 20 years? My guess is zero. How about a ranked SoCon team? Harvard played the perennial last place team in the CAA frequently over the past 10 years - until URI got a lot more competitive and beat them a couple times - URI may have been Top 25 at some point in those two seasons, but never anywhere near the Top 10.

The fact that Princeton puts 100 students in uniform for home games speaks to a general philosophy of participation in varsity sports which starts at the New England Prep School system that traditionally feeds the Ivy schools. Take a look at an Ivy School's Athletic Department website - they sponsor twice as many sports as other FCS schools.

I Believe the only 2022 game played between an Ivy League team and end-of-season Top 10 team was Ivy Champ Yale vs Holy Cross. Holy Cross won 38-14, but it really wasn't that close. Holy Cross was up 35-7 at the end of the 3rd Quarter.

DFW HOYA
March 25th, 2023, 08:20 PM
At this point it's difficult to see a top 4 Ivy team competing with any Top 10 team outside the Northeast corridor. South Dakota State would have run Yale off the field.

bonarae
March 25th, 2023, 10:30 PM
At this point it's difficult to see a top 4 Ivy team competing with any Top 10 team outside the Northeast corridor. South Dakota State would have run Yale off the field.

So I’ll peg the Ivy leader at the bottom rung of the Top 25 every week when the League’s teams are playing… spot on. What if a bottom feeder MVFC or Big Sky plays an Ivy? Will the result be the same as well? xchinscratchx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
March 26th, 2023, 07:13 AM
Hmm? … an exciting Wednesday night showdown that will be a tune-up for when Tennessee Tech visits the Paladins the following evening.
https://media.istockphoto.com/id/1297143254/vector/sailor-man-confused-cartoon-character-vector-illustration-in-a-flat-style-isolated.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=m0sX7ku3RPKPJQGek5suG5n0rf1oQviUm2Awiu8ixg0=

but nobody cares about Tenny Tech at Furman ….. my game is about your hopes and dreams 😂

next

how bout Youngstown State at Harvard

NY Crusader 2010
March 26th, 2023, 07:44 AM
Top 3 or 4 "any given year" and "top 10" is way to generous. And you have absolutely no data to prove that. Any Ivy league team playing an FCS top 10 team is a rare occurrence.

I'm aware of only two significant series where an Ivy plays an FCS Team that occasionally cracks the Top 10. Over the past 30 years Dartmouth has played UNH about every other year, the Big Green have won twice, neither time was UNH anywhere near the top 10. The one season Dartmouth won decisively they were ranked in the Top 25 and went on to be Ivy Champs - UNH had it's only losing record in 20 years. That would make Dartmouth 2-15 vs UNH since the 1980s. Penn is 1 -13 vs Villanova over the past 30 years.

Any given year the top FCS 10 is comprised of a majority of teams from the Big Sky and MVFC - how many times have you seen a game between a ranked BSky or MVFC team and an Ivy over the past 20 years? My guess is zero. How about a ranked SoCon team? Harvard played the perennial last place team in the CAA frequently over the past 10 years - until URI got a lot more competitive and beat them a couple times - URI may have been Top 25 at some point in those two seasons, but never anywhere near the Top 10.

The fact that Princeton puts 100 students in uniform for home games speaks to a general philosophy of participation in varsity sports which starts at the New England Prep School system that traditionally feeds the Ivy schools. Take a look at an Ivy School's Athletic Department website - they sponsor twice as many sports as other FCS schools.

I Believe the only 2022 game played between an Ivy League team and end-of-season Top 10 team was Ivy Champ Yale vs Holy Cross. Holy Cross won 38-14, but it really wasn't that close. Holy Cross was up 35-7 at the end of the 3rd Quarter.

We also played Harvard in Cambridge mid-season and won 30-21. Was basically a dead even game for most part FWIW and was our first win at Harvard Stadium since 2000. We iced that game with a long FG with a couple minutes left.

Top of the Ivy was definitely weaker than usual this past year.

The UNH-Dartmouth series was also temporarily suspended in 2008 or so because the games were not competitive. At that time, Dartmouth was the Ivy equivalent of Bucknell in football. They dropped long-standing series with Colgate and UNH to in favor of lighter competition for a little while. Only a few years into Teevens' recent run of success did the UNH series go back on the docket. Prior to Dartmouth beating you guys in 2015 or '16. they last beat UNH in the late 1970's. Coincidentally, however, the early-to-mid 1990's Dartmouth teams that were very good did not play UNH. Dartmouth probably would've picked up at least a couple wins then but quality of Ivy play then was considerably below what it is today so even an 8-2 Ivy team losing to a mediocre YanCon team wouldn't have been that surprising.

KPSUL
March 26th, 2023, 10:49 AM
We also played Harvard in Cambridge mid-season and won 30-21. Was basically a dead even game for most part FWIW and was our first win at Harvard Stadium since 2000. We iced that game with a long FG with a couple minutes left.

Top of the Ivy was definitely weaker than usual this past year.

The UNH-Dartmouth series was also temporarily suspended in 2008 or so because the games were not competitive. At that time, Dartmouth was the Ivy equivalent of Bucknell in football. They dropped long-standing series with Colgate and UNH to in favor of lighter competition for a little while. Only a few years into Teevens' recent run of success did the UNH series go back on the docket. Prior to Dartmouth beating you guys in 2015 or '16. they last beat UNH in the late 1970's. Coincidentally, however, the early-to-mid 1990's Dartmouth teams that were very good did not play UNH. Dartmouth probably would've picked up at least a couple wins then but quality of Ivy play then was considerably below what it is today so even an 8-2 Ivy team losing to a mediocre YanCon team wouldn't have been that surprising.

The Ivy League occasionally produces a team that could "probably" compete vs Top 10 FCS teams, such as 2014 Harvard and 2021 Dartmouth; however, due to the insular scheduling we'll never really know. But to suggest that 3 or 4 teams could compete with the Top 10 year after year is simply wrong. Way wrong.

I enjoy watching Ivy League games, I rarely miss one of their Friday evening games on ESPNU. The Ivy always has some amazing athletes and the game are frequently very competitive. There are also a fair number of surprises and upsets. I also don't have any issue with how or why they schedule or the fact they choose not to participate in the playoffs. Whether they do, or don't, will have no impact on my enjoyment of FCS football.

Dartmouth and UNH have played 14 times since 2000, UNH leads 12-2. The teams actually played quite frequently in the early 90s. 1990 was a tie, UNH won 92 and 93. So if you want to add the 90's, the Series is 14-2-1. I have no idea which team would have won 1994 -99.

NY Crusader 2010
March 26th, 2023, 11:53 AM
The Ivy League occasionally produces a team that could "probably" compete vs Top 10 FCS teams, such as 2014 Harvard and 2021 Dartmouth; however, due to the insular scheduling we'll never really know. But to suggest that 3 or 4 teams could compete with the Top 10 year after year is simply wrong. Way wrong.

I enjoy watching Ivy League games, I rarely miss one of their Friday evening games on ESPNU. The Ivy always has some amazing athletes and the game are frequently very competitive. There are also a fair number of surprises and upsets. I also don't have any issue with how or why they schedule or the fact they choose not to participate in the playoffs. Whether they do, or don't, will have no impact on my enjoyment of FCS football.

Dartmouth and UNH have played 14 times since 2000, UNH leads 12-2. The teams actually played quite frequently in the early 90s. 1990 was a tie, UNH won 92 and 93. So if you want to add the 90's, the Series is 14-2-1. I have no idea which team would have won 1994 -99.

This is definitely about right. The most recent Ivy team that could've made a deep playoff run was probably Princeton in 2018. Ivy League for the most part is good football but it's definitely not elite-level FCS football by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as the 90's go, Dartmouth was still very good through 1996, when they went 10-0. 1997 was the year UNH upset #2 ranked William & Mary early in the season (Tribe starting QB Mike Cook had been knocked out against VMI week prior; I was at that game and thought I was super cool b/c I caught a PAT on the open side of the stadium) and had the great Jerry Azumah setting records out of the backfield.

caribbeanhen
March 26th, 2023, 02:54 PM
This is definitely about right. The most recent Ivy team that could've made a deep playoff run was probably Princeton in 2018. Ivy League for the most part is good football but it's definitely not elite-level FCS football by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as the 90's go, Dartmouth was still very good through 1996, when they went 10-0. 1997 was the year UNH upset #2 ranked William & Mary early in the season (Tribe starting QB Mike Cook had been knocked out against VMI week prior; I was at that game and thought I was super cool b/c I caught a PAT on the open side of the stadium) and had the great Jerry Azumah setting records out of the backfield.

that team was good, so good they got my attention
Dartmouth had some really good teams about this time as well

both close to top 10 easy and would have loved seeing those teams in the playoffs doing some damage

the last few years they both have not been as good

bonarae
March 26th, 2023, 08:32 PM
A bigger question: does schedule insularity as the Northeast FCS teams often do hurt them more in the long run? xchinscratchx

ST_Lawson
March 27th, 2023, 08:30 AM
What if a bottom feeder MVFC or Big Sky plays an Ivy? Will the result be the same as well? xchinscratchx

As the designated representative of the current MVFC bottom feeder, I would say that any Ivy League team outside of Brown and maybe Dartmouth would absolutely smoke us if we played last season.

NY Crusader 2010
April 1st, 2023, 12:05 PM
that team was good, so good they got my attention
Dartmouth had some really good teams about this time as well

both close to top 10 easy and would have loved seeing those teams in the playoffs doing some damage

the last few years they both have not been as good

Dartmouth definitely had a couple of teams between 2016 and 2021 that were very good. IMO the Holy Cross team that almost beat Villanova in the playoffs in Fall 2021 would've lost to Dartmouth by multiple scores. There was one year ('16 or '17) where Dartmouth and Harvard finished #5 and #6 in the Sagarin ratings for FCS. Of course they didn't get anywhere close to that in the human polls -- maybe mid-teens.

caribbeanhen
April 3rd, 2023, 10:22 AM
Dartmouth definitely had a couple of teams between 2016 and 2021 that were very good. IMO the Holy Cross team that almost beat Villanova in the playoffs in Fall 2021 would've lost to Dartmouth by multiple scores. There was one year ('16 or '17) where Dartmouth and Harvard finished #5 and #6 in the Sagarin ratings for FCS. Of course they didn't get anywhere close to that in the human polls -- maybe mid-teens.

I agree and am really impartial to Ivy football but noticed how good they looked in that time frame you mentioned and pumped my impression hard on here… let’s just say not many agreed or if they did, just hate the Ivies and wouldn’t admit it

KPSUL
April 3rd, 2023, 04:11 PM

It wasn't Dartmouth in either of those years. But Dartmouth went 9-1 (6-1 in the Ivy League) each year 2018,19 and 21. I'm sure they were likely ranked at the end of each of those years. They beat Harvard and Yale each of those years with the 3 losses coming against Columbia, Princeton and Cornell.

ysubigred
April 5th, 2023, 07:15 AM
but nobody cares about Tenny Tech at Furman ….. my game is about your hopes and dreams [emoji23]

next

how bout Youngstown State at HarvardYtown vs. Harvard, two academic schools are going at it nice.. [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk