PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings-Week 6

JALMOND
October 8th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Snow. Cold weather. Winter is on its way. The Big Sky conference last week met up with winter weather in almost all of its games (ISU plays in a dome, out of the elements). As a result, a little neutralizing in the way of the final scores. Still, the home team won 4 out of the 5 games involving Big Sky teams. So, here are the power rankings for the Big Sky. Once again, my opinion and all are up for discussion. This week (last week)...

1. Montana (1)---The Griz needed a last second field goal to edge the pesky EWU team, a team that always plays the Griz tough in Missoula. Maybe the final was a little closer than most would expect, but the Griz eeked out a home victory. This week, the first time the Griz leave the cozy confines of Missoula to go to Sacramento to face a good Sac State team. Remains to be seen as to how this Griz team does on the road.

2. Montana State (2)---Snow, sloshing around a torn up field, the Cats could only muster a 7-3 win over Great West foe, Southern Utah. Maybe ugly, but still a win is a win and the Cats are keeping pace with the Griz. This week, a good test as they hit the road to face EWU. Can that Cat defense seal a victory against the Eagles?

3. Northern Arizona (5)---The Jacks took a trip back in time to the old days of Big Sky football when shootouts were common, as they held off PSU's two-point conversion at the end of the game. The offense has reached their stride, however the defense seems to be sorely lacking the last two games. This week, they welcome ISU to Flagstaff. Should be a good test for the defense.

4. Portland State (3)---One thing about this Viking team, do not think you have them beat as they will continue to scrap back until the very end. They stole the win from Sac State, they fought back to beat EWU and they almost got another one from NAU. This week, an odd number of teams means there is an odd one out and PSU is this week's odd team. A bye welcomes the Vikings, giving them two weeks to prepare for ISU.

5. Eastern Washington (4)---A tough loss for the Eagles at Montana last week, that came down to a field goal in the last seconds of the game. The Eagles did everything right except win the game. Can they right the ship this week when they welcome MSU to Cheney? Or will they see a good performance again come up short. Remains to be seen.

6. Weber State (7)---How's this for a fact. In each of the three conference games, the Wildcat defense has allowed each offense, MSU, UM and Sac State, only one touchdown in the contest. That coming even when their best defensive player went out of the UM game with a season ending injury. In the Sac State game, the Wildcats found the offense and got a convincing win. Can the offense continue its emergence? A trip to Northern Colorado should not hurt.

7. Sacramento State (4)---Was it a case of Weber State's defense, or did the Hornet offense disappear in amongst the snow and cold at Ogden? The offense, which looked so strong the week before against NAU, could not get anything started against WSU's defensive front. This week, homecoming at Sacramento as they welcome the ferocious Grizzly team. Which team will show up, the one that made NAU look terrible or the one that got lost in the snow at WSU?

8. Idaho State (8)---Well, well, well. The Bengals got a home win last week against Northern Colorado. Brought smiles all around for the homecoming activities. Congratulations, you have now earned a trip to Flagstaff to play NAU. Will the era of good feelings continue for the Bengals?

9. Northern Colorado (9)---Oh, my. A little progress made by the Bears last week at ISU, but still a loss is a loss is a loss. Things are looking bleak on the horizon, starting this week when WSU comes to town. Oh, well. At least its homecoming. Can the Bears make a wonderful homecoming gift?

I'd have to say the middle five (3-7) really could be called a tossup. If any team in that group of five has any thought of making the playoffs, they better get things going now. Griz still in front, Cats still comfortably in second. Still, the Griz have their first road game of the year and the Cats have to go to EWU, who gave the Griz all they could handle in Missoula. Eagles might have confidence to pull an upset. So, too, could Sac State, who demolished NAU at home. Could they top the mighty Griz? Remains to be seen.

Peems
October 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Once again good as always xthumbsupx

DaGriz
October 8th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Wow, MSU at 2 with a 7-3 win and EWU at 5 with a barn burner loss. Okay, we'll go with what you say this week and this weekend is going to be real interesting. EWU/MSU is game of the week in the Big Sky.

JALMOND
October 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Wow, MSU at 2 with a 7-3 win and EWU at 5 with a barn burner loss. Okay, we'll go with what you say this week and this weekend is going to be real interesting. EWU/MSU is game of the week in the Big Sky.

EWU maybe should be 3-0 in conference. Instead they are 1-2 because of last minute heroics by both UM and PSU. I gave the Cats a pass because of the field and the fact that they have not lost a game other than to FBS Texas A&M. Hard to move the Cats down. But you're right, we'll see how the game turns out in Cheney. EWU needs to finish a game, though.

Bobcat in NC
October 9th, 2007, 07:40 AM

Just as easy to say: Wow, the Griz at #1 after a 1 point escape at home and MSU at #2 after holding SUU to 3 points (the same SUU that scored 17 on the Griz).

All in all, I think Jalmond's rankings are right on point. Well done, once again. xbowx

Screamin_Eagle174
October 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I'm quite fine with JALMOND putting us at 5. We play better as underdogs. And after last week's game in Missoula, we'll be underdogs ready to rip the Montana State kitty cats a new one. Come on over, Cheney will welcome you!

trouthunter
October 9th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Just as easy to say: Wow, the Griz at #1 after a 1 point escape at home and MSU at #2 after holding SUU to 3 points (the same SUU that scored 17 on the Griz).

All in all, I think Jalmond's rankings are right on point. Well done, once again. xbowx

Wow! The cats managed 7 whole points against SUU--The Griz managed 37??? I am very interested to see what happens over at EW this week.xrolleyesx

Mike Johnson
October 9th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I think this is a very good assessment. Of course, I am looking at it from Weber State's perspective. I see Weber State have left the most difficult part of their schedule and one in which they went 0-4 and have entered a stretch where they could be competitive with all opponents they have left. That doesn't mean that they will win all their games that remain and that doesn't mean they won't lose all their remaining games. Only that I think their games from here on out will be competitive for them. I don't think I will face another week expecting them to lose before the game has even started. There are some tough games ahead. I hope their defense plays well and their offense now has some life in them. McBride is a defensive coach and it shows.

I think you are right that 3-7 are very close right now and the Montana teams are a step above the rest, despite their close calls this past weekend. Barring a collapse and loss of a couple of games each, they should both be in the playoffs. Now comes the time for all the 3-7 teams to show what they have.

And with all due respect to Northern Colorado, I hope Northern Colorado doesn't decide to become a part of the 3-7 club this coming week.