PDA

View Full Version : FCS Schools That Have Never Made The Playoffs

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2022, 12:32 PM
There are six schools with at least 20 years in the subdivision (and are in playoff-eligible conferences) that have never made the playoffs. Who is the next to be invited?

1. Bucknell (Patriot League, joined 1978)
2. Morehead St. (Pioneer, 1978)
3. Georgetown (Patriot League, 1993)
4. Marist (Pioneer, 1993)
5. Valparaiso (Pioneer, 1993)
6. Gardner-Webb (Big South, 2002)

FUBeAR
June 15th, 2022, 12:56 PM
There are six schools with at least 20 years in the subdivision (and are in playoff-eligible conferences) that have never made the playoffs. Who is the next to be invited?

1. Bucknell (Patriot League, joined 1978)
2. Morehead St. (Pioneer, 1978)
3. Georgetown (Patriot League, 1993)
4. Marist (Pioneer, 1993)
5. Valparaiso (Pioneer, 1993)
6. Gardner-Webb (Big South, 2002)
From this list, FUBeAR would have to say Morehead State is the best bet (didn’t say it was a great bet, but it’s the best one from this group). In 2021, the Eagles finished just a game behind PFL Champion & (by head-to-head loss) runner-up San Diego. Morehead lost to both by a single TD in back-to-back weeks, which included a cross-country trip to Cali, after leading during both of those games.

They are following the same schedule formula as last year…
1) 2 early games on the road against ranked Playoff-quality FCS Teams - JMU & APSU in ‘21 and Mercer & Montana State in ‘22.
2) Winnable home game vs. Sub D1 - Point in ‘21 & Kentucky Christian in ‘22
3) PFL schedule (with no LONG Cali trip in ‘22).

If they can measure up against Mercer & Montana State, then beat the Toreros at home and find a way to steal one from Davidson on the road, they can slide into the PFL auto-bid.

Sader87
June 15th, 2022, 12:58 PM
Technically, Bucknell was a 1-AA Independent from 1978-1985 before joining or the formation of the PL (then Colonial League) in 1986.

While nevah being in the 1-AA/FCS playoffs, both Bucknell and GTown have been invited to major bowl games in their football history.

crusader11
June 15th, 2022, 01:07 PM
Technically, Bucknell was a 1-AA Independent from 1978-1985 before joining or the formation of the PL (then Colonial League) in 1986.

While nevah being in the 1-AA/FCS playoffs, both Bucknell and GTown have been invited to major bowl games in their football history.

Worth noting that Bucknell won the PL in 1996, but the league was not participating in the postseason at that point.

The next year, Bucknell went 10-1 and finished the year ranked 24th in the country, but Colgate got the auto-bid (first time in the PL) and went to the playoffs.

Bucknell was pretty good under Tom Gadd. It's sad to say, but Bucknell has never really recovered / seen the same success they had under Gadd since his passing.

I get the sense the school doesn't really give two poops about football, which is curious given the high school talent in Central PA and then not far away in Ohio and NJ.

taper
June 15th, 2022, 01:24 PM
There's a good chance none of them make the FCS playoffs before D1 football is reorganized. That might be decades away but doesn't change my opinion.

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 15th, 2022, 01:57 PM
Here is the list of who has made it and how many W's and L's and overall playoff record. Alot of teams have never won a game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_playoff_appearances_by _team

DFW HOYA
June 15th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Bucknell was pretty good under Tom Gadd. It's sad to say, but Bucknell has never really recovered / seen the same success they had under Gadd since his passing.
I get the sense the school doesn't really give two poops about football, which is curious given the high school talent in Central PA and then not far away in Ohio and NJ.

Bucknell has every opportunity for a PL title. I think everyone in the PL knows (but will not say it in public) that Georgetown does not.

As long as Georgetown is unable to recruit talent given the rules of the league, it cannot compete for the playoffs, period. A total of 19 losing seasons out of 20 since joining the league are not only past, but prologue.

Mocs123
June 15th, 2022, 02:41 PM
I think Mercer would be in that list also except they haven't been in the subdivision 20 years. I do expect to see them make the playoffs in the next few years though as they have an administration that wants to win and a good coach. They almost made the playoffs this past year.

NY Crusader 2010
June 15th, 2022, 02:44 PM
I think Mercer would be in that list also except they haven't been in the subdivision 20 years. I do expect to see them make the playoffs in the next few years though as they have an administration that wants to win and a good coach. They almost made the playoffs this past year.

Mercer is in a much, much better place than any of the schools on this list.

NY Crusader 2010
June 15th, 2022, 02:45 PM
Worth noting that Bucknell won the PL in 1996, but the league was not participating in the postseason at that point.

The next year, Bucknell went 10-1 and finished the year ranked 24th in the country, but Colgate got the auto-bid (first time in the PL) and went to the playoffs.

I've always thought the same thing. Not to mention Lewisburg is right down the road from football-crazy State College.

Patriot League also must've been awful in 1996 because I know that year Bucknell lost 49-0 to Yankee Conference Champion and I-AA quarterfinalist William & Mary.

Laker
June 15th, 2022, 03:23 PM
Here is the list of who has made it and how many W's and L's and overall playoff record. Alot of teams have never won a game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_FCS_playoff_appearances_by _team

From that list: No appearances
Big Sky- Northern Colorado
Big South- Campbell, Gardner-Webb, North Alabama
MEAC- NC Central
NEC- Bryant, LIU, Merrimack
OVC- Lindenwood- eligible 2026
Patriot- Bucknell, Georgetown
Pioneer- Drake, Marist, Morehead St, Presbyterian, St Thomas- eligible 2025, Stetson, Valparaiso
Southern- Mercer
Southland- Houston Baptist, TAM-Commerce-eligible 2026
SWAC- Alabama A&M, Alabama St, AR-Pine Bluff, Prairie View A&M, Southern, Texas Southern
WAC- Abilene Christian, Utah Tech eligible 2024, Tarleton State- eligible 2024

And of course the Ivy.

taper
June 15th, 2022, 08:14 PM
From that list: No appearances
Big Sky- Northern Colorado
Big South- Campbell, Gardner-Webb, North Alabama
MEAC- NC Central
NEC- Bryant, LIU, Merrimack
OVC- Lindenwood- eligible 2026
Patriot- Bucknell, Georgetown
Pioneer- Drake, Marist, Morehead St, Presbyterian, St Thomas- eligible 2025, Stetson, Valparaiso
Southern- Mercer
Southland- Houston Baptist, TAM-Commerce-eligible 2026
SWAC- Alabama A&M, Alabama St, AR-Pine Bluff, Prairie View A&M, Southern, Texas Southern
WAC- Abilene Christian, Utah Tech eligible 2024, Tarleton State- eligible 2024

And of courst the Ivy.
I have to think St Thomas, Tarleton St, and Lindenwood are just a matter of time. Campbell, North Alabama, TAM-C, ACU, and Utah Tech seem to want to but remains to be seen if they can. Others are less likely.

ElCid
June 15th, 2022, 10:20 PM
I have to think St Thomas, Tarleton St, and Lindenwood are just a matter of time. Campbell, North Alabama, TAM-C, ACU, and Utah Tech seem to want to but remains to be seen if they can. Others are less likely.

Pretty sure Campbell is just a matter of time. And I'm sure you just missed Mercer. They are highly probable in the near future. They got hosed by schedule last year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 15th, 2022, 11:42 PM
When Northern Colorado transitioned to 1-AA/FCS 15+ years ago I wonder if anyone foresaw the Bears becoming a Big Sky tomato can and based on W/L's arguably one of the worst FCS programs in the country. To be fair, college football in Colorado has really hit the skids the last 20 years. The Bears, Buffs and to a lesser extent Rams rode a wave of momentum from the late 80s through the mid-00's that has yet to be recaptured. Air Force has emerged as the most consistent program in the state at the D1 level.

caribbeanhen
June 16th, 2022, 05:48 AM
When Northern Colorado transitioned to 1-AA/FCS 15+ years ago I wonder if anyone foresaw the Bears becoming a Big Sky tomato can and based on W/L's arguably one of the worst FCS programs in the country. To be fair, college football in Colorado has really hit the skids the last 20 years. The Bears, Buffs and to a lesser extent Rams rode a wave of momentum from the late 80s through the mid-00's that has yet to be recaptured. Air Force has emerged as the most consistent program in the state at the D1 level.

maybe it’s all the weed in that state

Libertine
June 16th, 2022, 08:24 AM
When Northern Colorado transitioned to 1-AA/FCS 15+ years ago I wonder if anyone foresaw the Bears becoming a Big Sky tomato can and based on W/L's arguably one of the worst FCS programs in the country.

It doesn't help that NoCo hasn't really done anything to upgrade the program since their D2 heyday in the late 90's. Sure, the stadium is new(ish) but, as of just a couple years ago, the locker rooms hadn't been upgraded since the Clinton administration, coaches were still having to share office space and the recruiting budgets were on a shoestring. Given that NoCo's home attendance has never -- ever -- hit five digits and hasn't come close in nearly two decades, I have to wonder what the university's expectations for the program actually are.

Libertine
June 16th, 2022, 08:32 AM
Campbell...seem to want to but remains to be seen if they can.

Campbell has dramatically shifted their recruiting strategy in the last two years and, initially, it seems to be paying off. Expect to hear more about the Fighting Camels of North Carolina.

ST_Lawson
June 16th, 2022, 08:40 AM

That chart really shows why there's some bitterness in the UNI fandom (and a few others as well).
UNI - 2nd most playoff appearances, 2nd most total playoff games played, 4th most playoff wins...zero championships.

You've also got teams like New Hampshire, McNeese State, and Eastern Illinois all at 16 appearances with no championships, although it looks like EIU often "craps the bed" in the playoffs, with only 4 total wins in their 16 appearances.
UNI, UNH, and SDSU have the most playoff wins without a championship.

Go...gate
June 17th, 2022, 02:38 AM
Has VMI ever been in the playoffs?

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 17th, 2022, 05:31 AM
Has VMI ever been in the playoffs?

They made the spring 2021 playoffs.....

Professor Chaos
June 17th, 2022, 07:48 AM
That chart really shows why there's some bitterness in the UNI fandom (and a few others as well).
UNI - 2nd most playoff appearances, 2nd most total playoff games played, 4th most playoff wins...zero championships.
Couple that with the fact that many of them are Vikings (and Twins/T-Wolves/Wild) fans and it's a wonder there isn't a nut house devoted to UNI football fans. Speaking as a Vikings and Twins fan I know I would have gone insane long ago if it weren't for the Bison.

FUBeAR
June 17th, 2022, 08:16 AM
…and the SoCon’s VMI Keydets dang near took out #3 seed, JMU. Couldn’t recover the onside kick to give themselves a chance to win it with :09 to play.

Iridebikes
June 17th, 2022, 08:22 AM
In Football UNC has certainly struggled in the Big Sky. It appears that they don't have the ability to create a path or plan for success. However, in other sports UNC has been very competitive, competing for championships in men's and women's BB, soccer and volleyball.

ST_Lawson
June 17th, 2022, 08:31 AM
Couple that with the fact that many of them are Vikings (and Twins/T-Wolves/Wild) fans and it's a wonder there isn't a nut house devoted to UNI football fans. Speaking as a Vikings and Twins fan I know I would have gone insane long ago if it weren't for the Bison.

As a Leathernecks + Chicago Bears & Cubs fan, I am somewhat familiar with that feeling. Only thing I can hang my hat on is the '85 Bears and '16 Cubs. Twins have two championships that a number of people who are alive would remember...Vikings have nothing. And of course, my Leathernecks have never made the championship game...closest was losing to GA Southern in the Semifinal game in 1998. I'm not sure if it's better to have never even been close (like us) or to have been close as many times as UNI has without winning though.

Go Green
June 17th, 2022, 08:41 AM
And of course the Ivy.

If the Ivy had allowed I-AA/FCS playoff participation from the get-go, only Columbia would be on this list. Every other team has either won a title outright, or won the head-on game when the teams finished tied for the title since the creation of the playoffs.

Of course, to put it charitably, some Ivy teams would have gone to the playoffs under this scenario more often than others....

kdinva
June 17th, 2022, 11:31 AM
…and the SoCon’s VMI Keydets dang near took out #3 seed, JMU. Couldn’t recover the onside kick to give themselves a chance to win it with :09 to play.

...but it was two interceptions by Morgan (one in the JMU end zone, one at the JMU 25) that hurt VMI big time.

DFW HOYA
June 17th, 2022, 12:38 PM
If the Ivy had allowed I-AA/FCS playoff participation from the get-go, only Columbia would be on this list. Every other team has either won a title outright, or won the head-on game when the teams finished tied for the title since the creation of the playoffs.

What does Columbia need to do to win the Ivy League; and if it is infeasible for them to ever win whatsoever, can we all say it out loud?

The same question could be asked of Georgetown, and to a lesser extent. Bucknell.

FUBeAR
June 17th, 2022, 01:54 PM
...but it was two interceptions by Morgan (one in the JMU end zone, one at the JMU 25) that hurt VMI big time.
Oh yeah…that’s right…

…the SoCon’s VMI Keydets, with their All-American Starting QB out injured & his backup throwing 2 very costly INT’s, STILL dang near took out #3 seed, JMU. Couldn’t recover the onside kick to give themselves a chance to win it with :09 to play.

Sader87
June 17th, 2022, 04:11 PM
What does Columbia need to do to win the Ivy League; and if it is infeasible for them to ever win whatsoever, can we all say it out loud?

The same question could be asked of Georgetown, and to a lesser extent. Bucknell.

The Lions have been decent a few years in the 1-AA playoff era....but much like Vandy, Duke and Northwestern somewhat, they are in a league for football that has always been dominated by the Dartmouths, Yales, Harvards, Princetons and Penns of the world....tough group to jump ahead of in any given year. Rooting for them to do so some year.

UNAPride
June 17th, 2022, 04:38 PM

Neither were very good in D2. We'll see what their FCS versions are able to do. UNA and TAMUC were much better as far as playoff and national championship success in D2.

clenz
June 17th, 2022, 07:12 PM
To Lawson's point about how UNI has done literally everything as long/longer than anyone in the FCS sans actually have a title, and you mention the Vikings

The Vikings have the 5th best win % of the Super Bowl era (IIRC), 6th most playoff appearances all time, 7th best win % all time for all eras, the most playoff appearances all time, 7th most playoff games played all time, the most division championships in the history of the Central and North, and have just 1 less Super Bowl appearance than the Packers.

Yet **** all to show for it.

caribbeanhen
June 18th, 2022, 09:44 AM

This bodes well for Richmond

Go...gate
June 18th, 2022, 09:11 PM

I was on a long journey of recovery from a 2019 Hemorrhagic Stroke and missed that.

caribbeanhen
June 19th, 2022, 06:17 AM
I was on a long journey of recovery from a 2019 Hemorrhagic Stroke and missed that.

It’s good to have you back!

Go Green
June 20th, 2022, 10:42 AM

It could also be asked of Dartmouth basketball.

F'N Hawks
June 20th, 2022, 12:53 PM
UNC would fit in well in the RMAC. Overmatched in FCS and honestly, Colorado HS football isn't as good as people think. Part of the reason why all the in-state D1 schools are so bad

SDFS
June 20th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Neither were very good in D2. We'll see what their FCS versions are able to do. UNA and TAMUC were much better as far as playoff and national championship success in D2.

Lindenwood has had some success in football. In 2010 at the NIAI level they played in the National Championship Game. They then transition to DII as an Independent in 2011, becoming a full DII member in 2012 and joining the Mid-American conference. In 2019 they moved to GLV and qualified for the playoffs in both 2019 and 2020. Not saying that they are unbelievably great team. But, given that fact that they started the program in the 1990s and within 30 years they have made the commitment to D1-FCS. It is a sign of commitment to football and they are in a nice recruiting area. I can see them being competitive in the OVC in short order.

SDFS
June 20th, 2022, 01:45 PM
To Lawson's point about how UNI has done literally everything as long/longer than anyone in the FCS sans actually have a title, and you mention the Vikings

The Vikings have the 5th best win % of the Super Bowl era (IIRC), 6th most playoff appearances all time, 7th best win % all time for all eras, the most playoff appearances all time, 7th most playoff games played all time, the most division championships in the history of the Central and North, and have just 1 less Super Bowl appearance than the Packers.

Yet **** all to show for it.

Hey according to NFL Films that have a couple of missing rings.

SDFS
June 20th, 2022, 01:52 PM
UNC would fit in well in the RMAC. Overmatched in FCS and honestly, Colorado HS football isn't as good as people think. Part of the reason why all the in-state D1 schools are so bad

I was chatting with a UNC guy from the Denver area and he said the program's drop coincided with the school losing support from a booster associated with the Coors family. Not sure about all of the details or how true, but that is the general story that I was told.

Go...gate
June 20th, 2022, 02:56 PM
It’s good to have you back!

Thank you! I really missed AGS and all of you!

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 20th, 2022, 03:13 PM
Thank you! I really missed AGS and all of you!

Glad you are back as well, any plans on heading to Orono on 9/10?

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 20th, 2022, 03:39 PM

Welcome back!

It's been quiet around here in regards to the PL "regulars"......

NY Crusader 2010
June 20th, 2022, 08:33 PM
It could also be asked of Dartmouth basketball.

Has Dartmouth ever won an Ivy League basketball title? I know they have made the NCAA tournament as I think they either won or made the final in one of the first couple ever held in the late 1930's -- but that was before the Ivy League officially existed as a conference if I'm not mistaken.

For those who don't know, the only four schools to have been Division I for the entire history of the NCAA Tournament but never made the tournament are:

Army, The Citadel, St. Francis (NY), William & Mary

Here's a mind-boggling fact -- Army Men's Basketball hasn't even made it to a Patriot League championship game in 32 seasons in the league.

W&M was a CAA punching bag during the majority of the 80's, 90's and '00s before making it to the CAA tournament final about 6 times between 2008 and 2018 under Tony Shaver, but never winning.

DFW HOYA
June 20th, 2022, 10:21 PM
Has Dartmouth ever won an Ivy League basketball title? I know they have made the NCAA tournament as I think they either won or made the final in one of the first couple ever held in the late 1930's -- but that was before the Ivy League officially existed as a conference if I'm not mistaken.

The Indians won the title in 1957-58 and 1958-59. Among their players was a 5-11 guard named Dave Gavitt and forward Gary Vandeweghe, uncle of NBA player Kiki Vandeweghe.

caribbeanhen
June 21st, 2022, 05:32 AM
The Indians won the title in 1957-58 and 1958-59. Among their players was a 5-11 guard named Dave Gavitt and forward Gary Vandeweghe, uncle of NBA player Kiki Vandeweghe.

Some good hoops history right there

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 21st, 2022, 06:49 AM

For those who don't know, the only four schools to have been Division I for the entire history of the NCAA Tournament but never made the tournament are:

Here's a mind-boggling fact -- Army Men's Basketball hasn't even made it to a Patriot League championship game in 32 seasons in the league.

W&M was a CAA punching bag during the majority of the 80's, 90's and '00s before making it to the CAA tournament final about 6 times between 2008 and 2018 under Tony Shaver, but never winning.

Add to the list UNH and UMaine has neither has ever been to the Dance and Maine has the unfortunate distinction of being the only state not to have gone dancing.

ElCid
June 21st, 2022, 11:00 AM

Thank you for bringing up such a painful fact. xdrunkyx Fairly sure we haven't been to the SOCON Championship game for a longer time than Army hasn't been to theirs. I think we last went in 59. Although we won the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association Tournament once. Too bad it was BEFORE the NCAA tournament existed. Maybe one day.

Go Green
June 21st, 2022, 02:25 PM

When I was a student, it was really weird seeing those 1950s "Men's Basketball Champions" banners across the wall from the numerous "Women's Basketball Champions" banners. Throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, Dartmouth women's basketball was the USC of the Ivy League (i.e., the unquestioned powerhouse).

Not sure either Dartmouth or the Women of Troy have won a title since i graduated...

Sader87
June 21st, 2022, 05:20 PM
Al McGuire was an assistant at Dartmouth in the mid/late '50s. Head coach at the time was Doggie Julian who was head coach at Holy Cross when HC won the NCAA title in 1947.

Go...gate
June 21st, 2022, 11:52 PM

Vandewghe's brother, Dr. Ernie Vandeweghe, was an All-American basketball player at Colgate who played six seasons in the NBA with the Knicks as a valued sixth man.

Go...gate
June 21st, 2022, 11:59 PM
Glad you are back as well, any plans on heading to Orono on 9/10?

Probably not, I'm afraid. How do the Black Bears look for the Fall?

CenMEBlackBearFan
June 22nd, 2022, 11:30 AM
Probably not, I'm afraid. How do the Black Bears look for the Fall?

6-5 last year but finished strong winning 4 of their last 5.
Lost our best WR & LB but returning 16 of the 22 starters. Anything less than a playoff would be a dissappointment.
We have two away FBS games sandwhiched around your game. A loss to you guys would be devastating to a playoff spot.

How about you guys for this year?

NY Crusader 2010
June 22nd, 2022, 09:06 PM
Add to the list UNH and UMaine has neither has ever been to the Dance and Maine has the unfortunate distinction of being the only state not to have gone dancing.

The distinction shared by St. Francis, W&M, Citadel and Army is that all have been Division I throughout the entire history of the NCAA Tournament. UNH and Maine were not DI that entire time.

Interesting fact about Maine being the only state that's never been represented in the dance....other than Alaska which doesn't have a DI school of course (I'm sure both states have been represented in the DII or DIII tourneys).

Go...gate
June 22nd, 2022, 11:30 PM
6-5 last year but finished strong winning 4 of their last 5.
Lost our best WR & LB but returning 16 of the 22 starters. Anything less than a playoff would be a dissappointment.
We have two away FBS games sandwhiched around your game. A loss to you guys would be devastating to a playoff spot.

How about you guys for this year?

Tough to tell. IMO, six wins would be a successful season.