18. Hampton Pirates 4-1 814 21
19. Western Illinois Leathernecks 4-2 775 22
20. Richmond Spiders 3-2 551 14
21. Georgia Southern Eagles 4-1 454 NR
22. Cal Poly Mustangs 3-2 442 24
23. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 4-2 259 NR
24. Eastern Illinois Panthers 3-3 252 16
25. Grambling State Tigers 4-1 228 NR
Others receiving votes: Alabama A&M 221, Lafayette 138, San Diego 127, Missouri State 105, Southern 99, Sam Houston State 97, Eastern Washington 95, Villanova 85, Norfolk State 78, Elon 76, The Citadel 62, Furman 32, Drake 23, Towson 23, South Carolina State 14, Illinois State 14, Lehigh 12, Central Arkansas 11, Holy Cross 11, Northern Arizona 11, Austin Peay 7, Fordham 5, Morehead State 4, Southeastern Louisiana 3, Tennessee Tech 2, South Dakota State 2, Portland State 2, UC Davis 1.
As of October 8, 2007, at 01:38 PM ET

Hansel
October 8th, 2007, 12:53 PM
As always AGS>Coaches>SNW

GannonFan
October 8th, 2007, 01:01 PM

I dunno, the coaches poll looks weak - I can't see how that poll is any better than another out there.

Dane96
October 8th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Both polls look weak...really weak. And not to start an uproar with some posters (ok...I know it will) but the fact that DRAKE is getting votes is ridiculous. They had ONE good win...and that's it. They played g-d knows how many sister's of the poor.

At 2-3, with a 2 point loss to the 'Gate, a good game with Hofstra, and a game against the number 1 team (allegedly) that was within a 15 yard completion to being a one TD game with 8 minutes to go-- I don't think Albany deserves votes yet they have played better against tougher teams.

How on earth does DRAKE get votes then? The one other good team they played...THROTTLED THEM...and THROTTLED THEM EARLY. They were never, ever in that game after the first four minutes or so.

Just not understanding this...in both the coaches and TSN polls.

DOME
October 8th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Its not like Drake is ranked in the top five. They are 5-1 so who cares if they get a few votes.

EmeryZach
October 8th, 2007, 01:52 PM
How does Montana stay at #1? HOW!? 530 yards against them!!!

89Hen
October 8th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I actually think this one looks pretty good with the exception of Montana at #1. Before all you Griz get upset, I had the Griz #1 since pre-season but have only recently dropped you as you keep adding up close wins to teams you should be beating by bigger margins. Too many other teams racking up big wins and wins over top oppponents at this point. That's just my xtwocentsx

USDFAN_55
October 8th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Both polls look weak...really weak. And not to start an uproar with some posters (ok...I know it will) but the fact that DRAKE is getting votes is ridiculous. They had ONE good win...and that's it. They played g-d knows how many sister's of the poor.

At 2-3, with a 2 point loss to the 'Gate, a good game with Hofstra, and a game against the number 1 team (allegedly) that was within a 15 yard completion to being a one TD game with 8 minutes to go-- I don't think Albany deserves votes yet they have played better against tougher teams.

How on earth does DRAKE get votes then? The one other good team they played...THROTTLED THEM...and THROTTLED THEM EARLY. They were never, ever in that game after the first four minutes or so.

Just not understanding this...in both the coaches and TSN polls.

But did you win any of those games? You don't get credit for being competitive. I will give you guys credit for a tough schedule, but you need to win 1 or 2 of those games to be note worthy. The fact is Drake did win a big game, therefore they are given credit (votes) for that win.

G.S.Green
October 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
How does Princeton drop so low? They lost to a good Hampton Team at home and held their own in the first half. Give them some respect!!!

G.S.Green

unigriff
October 8th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Drake is very good for the program they have and could quite easily go 10-1 this season only losing national title contender #2 UNI.

appfan2008
October 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM
something is very wrong with montana being number one...

USDFAN_55
October 8th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Drake is very good for the program they have and could quite easily go 10-1 this season only losing national title contender #2 UNI.

I can't wait to see how good they are this weekend when they come to San Diego. San Diego has a 21 game home winnig streak on the line. Should be a good one.xthumbsupx

putter
October 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I actually think this one looks pretty good with the exception of Montana at #1. Before all you Griz get upset, I had the Griz #1 since pre-season but have only recently dropped you as you keep adding up close wins to teams you should be beating by bigger margins. Too many other teams racking up big wins and wins over top oppponents at this point. That's just my xtwocentsx

I disagree. I will put EWU's offense up against anyone in the country as they are that good. The Griz had some mistakes and ill timed penalties which hurt them but don't think the 1 point win was not against a quality team. I watched the SIU /YSU game and Eastern could run with either of those teams xnodx

McNeese_beat
October 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM

I'm with you. I never voted Montana No. 1. I had them No. 2 in the preseason, but I have since dropped them...Barely getting by mediocre teams while other teams right behind them are picking up quality wins makes it awful hard to leave them at/near the top.

AZGrizFan
October 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM

2 comments:

This poll has all the right teams in the top 10, just in slightly different order. Things will continue to sort themselves out the deeper we get into the season.

I had Montana as my #1 team in preseason, but despite winning, they've sunk to #5 in my poll for the exact reasons stated above. xpeacex

montanafan
October 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I'm with you. I never voted Montana No. 1. I had them No. 2 in the preseason, but I have since dropped them...Barely getting by mediocre teams while other teams right behind them are picking up quality wins makes it awful hard to leave them at/near the top.

You guess are just jealus. The last time we played you (McNeese) we beat you up 31-6. Just keep playing good and we will see you in the playoffs and remind you of how bad we are again.xbowx xbowx xbowx

terrierbob
October 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I think the loss to NC State is hurting us. Hmmm.6-0 looks better than 5-1, no matter what level the competition.

Grizaholic17
October 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM
How does Montana stay at #1? HOW!? 530 yards against them!!!

It is dumb I agree, but I know the answer. Respect...

bigskyrocks
October 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
montana deserves to be number 1 (imo) because they have beaten every team theyve played, one catch here or there and the game is 34-0 before you know it look at the packer bears game last night the packers should have won 28-7 but two fumbles hurt the pack. just like penalties hurt hurt the griz and ewu for that matter. and since when was ewu a mediocre team they were 3-1 coming into the game with a awesome offense *(489 yds a game), and look for them to beat Montana state next week. And one last thing good teams find ways to win

OL FU
October 8th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I think the loss to NC State is hurting us. Hmmm.6-0 looks better than 5-1, no matter what level the competition.

A couple of those 6-0's beat I-As so it is hard to argue, and as usual hard to comparexnodx

EmeryZach
October 8th, 2007, 04:40 PM
It is dumb I agree, but I know the answer. Respect...

Or no one who votes in this poll actually watches or listens to the games. Whatever, it doesn't matter because we have playoffs.

AlphaSigMD
October 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I disagree. I will put EWU's offense up against anyone in the country as they are that good. The Griz had some mistakes and ill timed penalties which hurt them but don't think the 1 point win was not against a quality team. I watched the SIU /YSU game and Eastern could run with either of those teams xnodx

But this was Montana at Wa-Griz...and they were dominated at home. The Weber game was ugly too. Both games montana was very fortunate to win. Sure, you can say that montana gets everyone's best shot...but so does UNI, ASU, NDSU and half the colonial conference.

JALMOND
October 8th, 2007, 10:04 PM

It's all based on perception. EWU has a good team this year as does six or seven teams in the Big Sky. But a close game against the Griz, where it should elicit a "EWU must have a good team to hang close to the Griz", instead we get the typical east coast response of "Geez, what happened to the Griz today???!!!"

And somehow they can gloat over Yale winning against the likes of G'Town, Holy Mary Mother of God and the rest of that strong Ivy League, even implying the notion that Yale would be the second best team in the Big Sky. How's that for perception.

Peems
October 8th, 2007, 10:10 PM
But this was Montana at Wa-Griz...and they were dominated at home. The Weber game was ugly too. Both games montana was very fortunate to win. Sure, you can say that montana gets everyone's best shot...but so does UNI, ASU, NDSU and half the colonial conference.

Did you watch the game? I'm not saying the Griz should be #1 but unless you watched the game you don't know how it played out. Just like I don't know how App. lost to Wofford, I just saw the final score.

McNeese75
October 8th, 2007, 10:36 PM
You guess are just jealus. The last time we played you (McNeese) we beat you up 31-6. Just keep playing good and we will see you in the playoffs and remind you of how bad we are again.xbowx xbowx xbowx

Brilliant Post!!! Now recess is over so back to class for you xrotatehx xcoffeex

McNeese_beat
October 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM

You didn't play *me.* I cover McNeese, I am not McNeese. And the last time Montana played McNeese was 2006. If you played McNeese in 2007, fans of just about every other team on this board wouldn't be bitching about your schedule.

I don't think McNeese could afford to play a schedule as weak as yours because the conference isn't strong enough. Montana gambled that the Big Sky would be strong enough to make up for a terrible non-conference schedule, but it doesn't appear it has been.

Bottom line is you had better go unbeaten or you won't have home field advantage, no matter where you are ranked.

SeattleGriz
October 8th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Seems to me the majority of the posters who feel Montana stinks are fairly new to this board. While I recognize that doesn't mean they haven't followed FCS ball for years, it does mean they are new to this board, and hence most likely didn't know much about other teams before their arrival.

Case in point. I remember when I first found this board and had to ask how Georgia Southern could be ranked so high when they were only beating teams like Furman and Wofford. Who the hell were they?

My FCS world was pretty small before this board.

MSUfan2010
October 8th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Seems to me the majority of the posters who feel Montana stinks are fairly new to this board. While I recognize that doesn't mean they haven't followed FCS ball for years, it does mean they are new to this board, and hence most likely didn't know much about other teams before their arrival.

Case in point. I remember when I first found this board and had to ask how Georgia Southern could be ranked so high when they were only beating teams like Furman and Wofford. Who the hell were they?

As was mine. Good points

98chev
October 8th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I still don't see why montana is number one. I mean come on NDSU and UNI both deserve that spot way more.

DuckDuckGriz
October 8th, 2007, 11:35 PM
It's all based on perception. EWU has a good team this year as does six or seven teams in the Big Sky. But a close game against the Griz, where it should elicit a "EWU must have a good team to hang close to the Griz", instead we get the typical east coast response of "Geez, what happened to the Griz today???!!!"

And somehow they can gloat over Yale winning against the likes of G'Town, Holy Mary Mother of God and the rest of that strong Ivy League, even implying the notion that Yale would be the second best team in the Big Sky. How's that for perception.

You hit the nail right on the head, JAL. In all the years no matter how good Montana has done in the postseason, they've always "struggled" or had mostly close games in conference. There has yet to be a season where Montana goes through the Big Sky undefeated and does not end up in either the semis or national championship game. The Big Sky teams knows eachother's strenghts and weaknesses, just like any other conference. It's funny that all these BSC teams play us close and then we get to the playoffs and, the games we win, are usually a hell of alot easier.

Tod
October 8th, 2007, 11:54 PM
You hit the nail right on the head, JAL. In all the years no matter how good Montana has done in the postseason, they've always "struggled" or had mostly close games in conference. There has yet to be a season where Montana goes through the Big Sky undefeated and does not end up in either the semis or national championship game. The Big Sky teams knows eachother's strenghts and weaknesses, just like any other conference. It's funny that all these BSC teams play us close and then we get to the playoffs and, the games we win, are usually a hell of alot easier.

Good point. Never thought of it quite that way. xeyebrowx :)

McNeese75
October 9th, 2007, 12:05 AM

Makes sense to me xrolleyesx

How about this one? Every five years the stars align for McNeese. On those years the Griz have to travel to the "Hole" in the playoffs and that is where their season ends at the hands of the Cowboys. See 1997, 2002 and ...... :D

One is about as good as the other don't you think?? xwhistlex

DuckDuckGriz
October 9th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Makes sense to me xrolleyesx

How about this one? Every five years the stars align for McNeese. On those years the Griz have to travel to the "Hole" in the playoffs and that is where their season ends at the hands of the Cowboys. See 1997, 2002 and ...... :D

One is about as good as the other don't you think?? xwhistlex

I said usually the games we won. Winning at the Hole aint easy for no one, but hey we made those games!! When you were the #1 seed we lost a 17-0 lead, that was a great game and comeback by MacNeese nonetheless.

But - keep this in mind every six years the stars align for the Griz..
1995 (beat MacNeese in the playoffs the year before)
2007 (beat MacNeese in the playoffs the year before).... ?

:D

Grizaholic17
October 9th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I said usually the games we won. Winning at the Hole aint easy for no one, but hey we made those games!! When you were the #1 seed we lost a 17-0 lead, that was a great game and comeback by MacNeese nonetheless.

But - keep this in mind every six years the stars align for the Griz..
1995 (beat MacNeese in the playoffs the year before)
2007 (beat MacNeese in the playoffs the year before).... ?

:D

touche duckduckgriz...touche

UCABEARS75
October 9th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Here ya go...

1. Montana Grizzlies (55) 5-0 2,683 1
2. Northern Iowa Panthers (29) 5-0 2,659 2
3. North Dakota State Bison (24) 5-0 2,612 3
4. Massachusetts Minutemen (5) 4-1 2,487 4
5. Appalachian State Mountaineers (2) 5-1 2,356 5
6. McNeese State Cowboys (2) 5-0 2,260 6
7. Southern Illinois Salukis (1) 6-0 2,218 7
8. Wofford Terriers (3) 5-1 2,217 8
9. James Madison Dukes 5-1 1,917 9
10. Hofstra Pride 5-0 1,719 12
11. Montana State Bobcats 4-1 1,473 13
12. Youngstown State Penguins 4-2 1,434 10
13. New Hampshire Wildcats 3-2 1,433 15
14. Nicholls State Colonels 4-1 1,278 17
15. Delaware Blue Hens 5-1 1,244 11
16. Yale Bulldogs 4-0 1,039 18
17. Delaware State Hornets 4-1 923 20
18. Hampton Pirates 4-1 814 21
19. Western Illinois Leathernecks 4-2 775 22
20. Richmond Spiders 3-2 551 14
21. Georgia Southern Eagles 4-1 454 NR
22. Cal Poly Mustangs 3-2 442 24
23. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 4-2 259 NR
24. Eastern Illinois Panthers 3-3 252 16
25. Grambling State Tigers 4-1 228 NR
Others receiving votes: Alabama A&M 221, Lafayette 138, San Diego 127, Missouri State 105, Southern 99, Sam Houston State 97, Eastern Washington 95, Villanova 85, Norfolk State 78, Elon 76, The Citadel 62, Furman 32, Drake 23, Towson 23, South Carolina State 14, Illinois State 14, Lehigh 12, Central Arkansas 11, Holy Cross 11, Northern Arizona 11, Austin Peay 7, Fordham 5, Morehead State 4, Southeastern Louisiana 3, Tennessee Tech 2, South Dakota State 2, Portland State 2, UC Davis 1.
As of October 8, 2007, at 01:38 PM ET

Hey Terror,

Wonder how bad we need to whup ya'll to get more votes than you?

Griz0383
October 9th, 2007, 10:44 AM
We are all #1 in my poll! I feel better now! it's not politically correct to have polls! Dog gonit, we are all winners! hugs for everyone

Hansel
October 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM

I haven't read many (if any) posts where people say Montana truly stinks- most just say they are currently unworthy of the #1 ranking as they unproven against quality teams (and have not played a road game)

:)

AZGrizFan
October 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
You didn't play *me.* I cover McNeese, I am not McNeese. And the last time Montana played McNeese was 2006. If you played McNeese in 2007, fans of just about every other team on this board wouldn't be bitching about your schedule.

I don't think McNeese could afford to play a schedule as weak as yours because the conference isn't strong enough. Montana gambled that the Big Sky would be strong enough to make up for a terrible non-conference schedule, but it doesn't appear it has been.

Bottom line is you had better go unbeaten or you won't have home field advantage, no matter where you are ranked.

While the bottom of the BSC (Idaho State, UNC, Weber, PSU, Sac State) hasn't been "strong", I've got very few complaints about Montana, MSU, EWU or NAU. 6 losses total among those 4 teams, 2 to I-A schools, 1 to App State and 1 to Montana (EWU last weekend).

And I will take that bet about home field advantage. I will almost guarantee a 1-loss Griz team gets at least one home game....possibly two.

And the first one will probably be McNeese! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

DB_Atlantic10
October 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
montana deserves to be number 1 (imo) because they have beaten every team theyve played, one catch here or there and the game is 34-0 before you know it look at the packer bears game last night the packers should have won 28-7 but two fumbles hurt the pack. just like penalties hurt hurt the griz and ewu for that matter. and since when was ewu a mediocre team they were 3-1 coming into the game with a awesome offense *(489 yds a game), and look for them to beat Montana state next week. And one last thing good teams find ways to winxwhistlex

DB_Atlantic10
October 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Or no one who votes in this poll actually watches or listens to the games. Whatever, it doesn't matter because we have playoffs.It does matter since it determines the seedings...I can see this set up from a mile away..... One side of the bracket is going to have to go through Mizzoula if they are going to make it to the NC game...I'll call this now.....xcoffeex

89Hen
October 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I don't think I said EWU wasn't quality, but if you guys are #1 you should be beating them by more than 1 point at home... same goes for come from behind win over Weber. CalPoly thumped Weber and even Montana State (who I have questions about after a 7-3 win over horrible SUU) beat them more easily.

Again, not saying Montana won't end up the best team in the country, but IMO so far they haven't shown it. xpeacex