PDA

View Full Version : Can a whole Conference (like the SOCON) move up to 1A?

DHill
October 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
I was wondering can a whole Conference move up to 1A? If so, who has done it and why isn't it done more often?

Franks Tanks
October 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I was wondering can a whole Conference move up to 1A? If so, who has done it and why isn't it done more often?

When Division I split into I-A and I-AA conferences chose in which level they would lie. If my understanding is correct the SoCo at first decided I-A and then instead chose I-AA, is that correct. Also it would be highly unlikely an entire conference make the move. It takes a lot of resources and planning to make the move, and for all members to agree to move at at the same time would be virtually impossible.

DFW HOYA
October 7th, 2007, 08:47 PM
It could move up, but if all members did not meet minimum attendance and funding guidelines, there would be some "associate members" aplenty...

PaladinFan
October 7th, 2007, 08:54 PM
In the early days, the SoCon sported basically every team that makes up what today is the SEC and ACC as well as other conference schools like West Virginia, Tulane, and Marshall.

If there was a time to move up as a conference, that time has since passed.

RabidRabbit
October 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM
The North Central Conference was about set to move DII to D-I in 2002-2004. It's a shame that that DIDN'T happen, as the NCC sponsored most sports of the D-I, and over 1/2 of NCC will be in D-I starting next year (UNI, UNC, UND, USD, SDSU, NDSU).

NCC was always very successful in football, basketball, wrestling, track & field & cross-country.

But this Jackrabbit is also very happy with how things have shaken out for the Rabbits (and our partner in move, Bison)

star2city
October 7th, 2007, 09:00 PM
With the moratorium on IA move ups until 2011, it is impossible until then. Even beyond 2011, don't hold your breath.

The Sunbelt Conference with membership changes and good leadership by its commissioner Wright Waters was able to accomplish a transition from a hodge-podge of IA independents and IA wannabes to the IA level, although it was never technically a IAA league.

The Big Sky's Commissioner has publicly talked about becoming a IA league, but as mentioned, a huge amount of resources and planning would be required, and associate membership (for schools like UC-Davis and Cal Poly) would almost certainly have to be used to obtain the required 8 members as members like UNC wouldn't be able to make the transition in football.

Here's an old link:
Big Sky I-A ?? (http://pioneer.olivesoftware.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=QkRDLzIwMDcvMDEvMTQjQXIwMTEwMg==&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom)

The Colonial possibly has a remote chance of obtaining critical mass to move up sometime next decade, but there would be huge numbers of "if's" (UMass, JMU, and even ODU find the finances to move up, Appy State moves over, Ga State starts football and finds the finances for IA, Charlotte starts football and finds finances for IA, Kennesaw St adds football and gets associate membership in the Colonial and finds finances for IA, etc, etc, etc) and there would be conference stability problems among members who can't move to IA or don't play football.

woffordgrad94
October 7th, 2007, 09:53 PM
There is no way the whole SoCon could become FBS. Some of its schools (like my Wofford Terriers) could NEVER meet attedance requirements. And besides, why would we want to? We are happy in the FCS. If we were in the FBS, we'd probably have a losing record every year, along with all the oteher SoCon teams (yes, even you Appy, your Michigan win notwithstanding)

Eyes of Old Main
October 7th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I see no way a current conference could make the move intact, but I could see a scenario down the road when maybe enough team from several conferences all moved together and formed a new FBS conference.

Something like if Appalachian and Georgia Southern from the SoCon, Delaware and some fo the CAA schools, and maybe a few from the Gateway or OVC all came togther, but even that would be tough.

Appdad
October 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
There is no way the whole SoCon could become FBS. Some of its schools (like my Wofford Terriers) could NEVER meet attedance requirements. And besides, why would we want to? We are happy in the FCS. If we were in the FBS, we'd probably have a losing record every year, along with all the oteher SoCon teams (yes, even you Appy, your Michigan win notwithstanding)

But, if the schools limited play to the Socon it could be done. It would mean bigger paydays for "money games" and a chance at a bowl. the loss would be no playoffs.

OL FU
October 8th, 2007, 10:35 AM
In the early days, the SoCon sported basically every team that makes up what today is the SEC and ACC as well as other conference schools like West Virginia, Tulane, and Marshall.

If there was a time to move up as a conference, that time has since passed.

Technically there was no I-AA in those days (West Va etc) . We have always been D-1, For four years we (being the SoCon) were D-IA and in 82 joined I-AA. I am not sure if it was a matter of selecting to move to I-AA. I believe based on the I-A criteria at the time, the SoCon did not meet it so we were made I-AA.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 8th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Most of our schools could not, and do not want to compete with 1-A on a weekly basis. Like said above, Furman, Wofford, UTC, WCU, Elon could NEVER pull the attendance requirements.