View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week Seven

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2007, 08:05 AM
TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 21-9
SLC Record: 4-1
Overall: 25-10

Texas State at Central Arkansas
Bears were very strong at SHSU and will come home with a lot of motivation after the win and being on the road. Conque's squad beats the Bobcats. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State
Northwestern St has a quarterback situation. Not sure what is going to happen with it right now. They are shell-shocked and are just completely at a loss. With SELA putting it to SFA, I'm going to have to go with SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Sam Houston State at McNeese State
McNeese is tough in Lake Charles. Sam has lacked success in Lake Charles over the years. Coming in with a three-game losing streak, it is not looking good for Sam. I think they'll look better against the Pokes than they did against UCA, but I've got to lean with McNEESE STATE

Nicholls State at Stephen F Austin
Colonels defense looked very solid at home against Northwestern St. While the Demons did have some QB issues, the defensive showing can not be overlooked. SFA struggled to only three points against SELA, so it looks as if the Colonels are going to like the cards they are dealt to make it 2-0 heading into Lake Charles. NICHOLLS STATE

blackfordpu
October 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Texas State at Central Arkansas - UCA is now in the SLC title hunt with their showing over SHSU. They keep it rolling against the bobcats.
Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State - Northwestern St. just can't seem to figure it out and lose at home.
Sam Houston State at McNeese State - Gotta go with the pokes on this one. The Kats have shown nothing and won't get their first DI win in Lake Charles.
Nicholls State at Stephen F Austin - Nicholls St. also is in the hunt for another SLC title and lay another butt kicking on SFA.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Texas State at Central Arkansas - UCA is now in the SLC playoff hunt with their showing over SHSU. They keep it rolling against the bobcats.

UCA is ineligible for the playoffs as they continue their transition (see NDSU that becomes eligible next year). They could win the SLC title and that'd be a great thing for them, but the playoffs is a few years off (2010, I think)...

Freightliner
October 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
xrulesx Freightliner's Record xrulesx
OOC Record: 23-7
SLC Record: 4-1
Overall: 27-8

I'll comment on these later......

slycat
October 7th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Texas State at Central Arkansas - texas st looked a little better against mcneese but still have no defense. uca looks good and wins at home.
Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State - sela is starting to look like the team i expected them to the last couple years. nwst is tough at home but lions find a way.
Sam Houston State at McNeese State - the bearkats hype is over for me. mcneese st is the real deal and i expect a win from the pokes at home.
Nicholls State at Stephen F Austin - nicholls st looks great this year and i think they could rival mcneese for the slc crown.

Seat16Demon
October 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Northwestern St has a quarterback situation. Not sure what is going to happen with it right now. They are shell-shocked and are just completely at a loss. With SELA putting it to SFA, I'm going to have to go with SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

That's a very diplomatic and kind way of saying we are needing a miraculous recovery from injury. Hopefully Edmond can recover and be back, if not we may hobble (sorry Drew, no pun intended!) through the rest of the season.

blackfordpu
October 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM
UCA is ineligible for the playoffs as they continue their transition (see NDSU that becomes eligible next year). They could win the SLC title and that'd be a great thing for them, but the playoffs is a few years off (2010, I think)...

Yea, I meant the SLC title hunt. It has been changed.

BEAR
October 7th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I'll agree with those picks. I never thought, after losing to the Demons and the Bears of Missouri State, that UCA would be favored in any game...xlolx

I guess when "Brown" delivers...xrulesx

GeauxColonels
October 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
TT's Predictions

Colonels defense looked very solid at home against Northwestern St. While the Demons did have some QB issues, the defensive showing can not be overlooked. SFA struggled to only three points against SELA, so it looks as if the Colonels are going to like the cards they are dealt to make it 2-0 heading into Lake Charles. NICHOLLS STATE
Just a correction, the Nicholls State/McNeese State game is in Thibodaux this year.

TexasTerror
October 7th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Just a correction, the Nicholls State/McNeese State game is in Thibodaux this year.

Doh! I knew that...thanks for the head's up. Wish I could make it down to Thibodaux for that game...

Dallas Demon
October 8th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Texas St. at Central Arkansas - Bears starting to play good ball now.

Southeastern La. at Northwestern St. - Demons likely without ALL 3 QBs after they substained injuries last week. OT Bell (6-6, 285) could be the starting QB (just trying to find some humor in a sad situation). Besides, it hasn't worked when I've picked the Demons recently so I'm using reverse psychology.

Sam Houston St. at McNeese St. - Cowboys and Bearkats going in different directions.

Nicholls St. at Stephen F. Austin - Colonels and Lumberjacks going in different directions.

JoshUCA
October 8th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Texas St. at Central Arkansas
Southeastern La. at Northwestern St.
Sam Houston St. at McNeese St.
Nicholls St. at Stephen F. Austin

blackfordpu
October 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Doh! I knew that...thanks for the head's up. Wish I could make it down to Thibodaux for that game...

Is this game going to be on TV? If it isn't it should be.

TexasTerror
October 8th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Is this game going to be on TV? If it isn't it should be.

CST does not have it...

Nicholls St homecoming against McNeese which always causes problems (namely due to lack of flexibility in moving it for TV)..

GeauxLions94
October 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Dunkel index - Central Arkansas 68.458, Texas State 60.852
Bobcats make the long trip to Conway to face an explosive UCA team. Go with .... CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Dunkel index - Southeastern Louisiana 55.349; Northwestern State 45.251
Two teams heading in different directions meet in afternoon tilt on COX Sports Television ... Lions coming off first conference-opening win since 1976 (first win in three opening games in the Southland) and held Stephen F. Austin to a field goal ... the Purple Swarm returns this week after three rough games on the road, but not enough thanks to the all-purpose play of SLU's Jay Lucas along with the continued maturation of QB Brian Babin ... SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Dunkel index - McNeese State 78.477; Sam Houston State 59.443
Looked to be battle for first-place with Bomar making his first trip to the Hole ... will need a great game from RB to stay alive and avoid 0-2 start ... unfortunately, McNeese is playing with a little too much cowbell ... McNEESE STATE

Dunkel index - Nicholls State 70.801; Stephen F. Austin 53.572
SLU's Jay Lucas gashed a solid SFA defense last week for 158 yards (on 13 carries) and Colonel ground game can drive any coach nuts ... Jacks have won last two meetings, including 27-21 overtime win in Nacogdoches in 2005 against a favored Colonel team ... NSU defense, behind Kareem Moore and LaDarius Webb will be too much for Southall and Co. ... NICHOLLS STATE

MaximumBobcat
October 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Texas St. at Central Arkansas
Southeastern La. at Northwestern St.
Sam Houston St. at McNeese St.
Nicholls St. at Stephen F. Austin

BayouColonel
October 9th, 2007, 10:32 AM
TSU @ UCA Central Ark is my sleeper pick to make a run at the title.

SLU @ NW ST NW ST hasn't yet recovered from plague of injuries.

SHSU @ McNeese Bomar keeps this interesting but Cowboys too tough at home.

Nicholls @ SFA Home field advantage keeps the Jacks in it but hopefully the Colonels ride their defense to another W.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 9th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Texas St. at Central Arkansas - Bears starting to play good ball now.

Southeastern La. at Northwestern St. - Demons likely without ALL 3 QBs after they substained injuries last week. OT Bell (6-6, 285) could be the starting QB (just trying to find some humor in a sad situation). Besides, it hasn't worked when I've picked the Demons recently so I'm using reverse psychology.

Sam Houston St. at McNeese St. - Cowboys and Bearkats going in different directions.

Nicholls St. at Stephen F. Austin - Colonels and Lumberjacks going in different directions.

Wildcat (Excuse me...Wildhog) Formation anyone????

It could happen :D

MSU_77
October 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Bomar will need to have an unbelievable game for Sam Houston to have any chance against McNeese this Saturday. McNeese's five opponents have only scored 30% of the time inside the redzone, and the Cowboys first team defense, which rarely plays past the 3rd quarter, has done even better. Next week's McNeese game at Nicholls State, however, looks interesting.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Bomar will need to have an unbelievable game for Sam Houston to have any chance against McNeese this Saturday. McNeese's five opponents have only scored 30% of the time inside the redzone, and the Cowboys first team defense, which rarely plays past the 3rd quarter, has done even better. Next week's McNeese game at Nicholls State, however, looks interesting.

ok. go ahead and look past them then. i'm sure you won't get any complaints from da kats.xnonox

JohnStOnge
October 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM

NO LOOKING AHEAD!!!!

Just remember that Sam Houston should have beaten North Dakota State. I know some have said North Dakota State doesn't have that great a defense, etc., but the BearKats basically snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against what might be the best team in the subdivision.

blackfordpu
October 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
NO LOOKING AHEAD!!!!

Just remember that Sam Houston should have beaten North Dakota State. I know some have said North Dakota State doesn't have that great a defense, etc., but the BearKats basically snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against what might be the best team in the subdivision.

Yea, where did that team go? If that is the team that shows up to Lake Charles we will be in for a heck of a show.

McNeese75
October 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM

I sure hope you are NOT a player xrolleyesx

One game at at time!!! And based on what the Matt Viator said at a booster meeting yesterday, that is exactly how they play them. Sam Houston week began yesterday afternoon at practice xnodx

JohnStOnge
October 9th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Yea, where did that team go? If that is the team that shows up to Lake Charles we will be in for a heck of a show.

That's what I'm concerned about. I'd rather have the team that played Angelo State show up.

blackfordpu
October 9th, 2007, 06:41 PM
That's what I'm concerned about. I'd rather have the team that played Angelo State show up.

I'm sure you would. xrolleyesx :)

MSU_77
October 9th, 2007, 07:29 PM
NO LOOKING AHEAD!!!!

LOL, ok I'm duly chastised. However, I wasn't guaranteeing a win; I just made what I think is a valid point. For SHSU to win, Bomar will need to have a big game. I'm sure Matt is not overlooking this opponent and will give them their due respect.

Tillou
October 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM
The Colonels defense looked great against Northwestern. The people I was sitting around on the home side seemed to be surprised by how well Nicholls played and how poorly Northwestern played. Its not looking good for Nortwestern though. It seems as though they just gave up during the first half.

Anyone know why the Northwestern Band did not go to the game? They played at the Saints game the next day. Maybe they knew something about Northwestern football team that everyone else dosen't.

FormerPokeCenter
October 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
The Colonels defense looked great against Northwestern. The people I was sitting around on the home side seemed to be surprised by how well Nicholls played and how poorly Northwestern played. Its not looking good for Nortwestern though. It seems as though they just gave up during the first half.

Anyone know why the Northwestern Band did not go to the game? They played at the Saints game the next day. Maybe they knew something about Northwestern football team that everyone else dosen't.

If memory serves me correctly, they covered the whole band issue on the Demon board. The Saints paid for the NSU band to go to the Superdome, but wouldn't foot the bill for the Nicholls trip. The only way to do both would be to pay for hotel rooms and that apparently wasn't in the budget for either Northwestern or the Saints....

Purple Pride
October 9th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Blah....blah....blah..... An away game would work, but we'd love to work any of ya'll over in Conway.xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 9th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Texas State at Central Arkansas--Bobcats have no defense...UCA has an offense. Bobcat offense is struggling...Bear defense just held Bomar & The Pips in check. uh oh...xsmhx
Southeastern Louisiana at Northwestern State--is this the year the lions finally climb into the upper tier of the SLC?;)
Sam Houston State at McNeese State--Kats need it more. However, everytime I pick them, they lose. xrulesx
Nicholls State at Stephen F Austin--i think nicholls can reach the 600 yds rushing mark in this game...lol (though i'm not certain our defense would fair much better.)xeekx

patssle
October 9th, 2007, 11:53 PM
is this the year the lions finally climb into the upper tier of the SLC?

upper tier? I didn't know the SLC had one!

GeauxColonels
October 9th, 2007, 11:53 PM
If memory serves me correctly, they covered the whole band issue on the Demon board. The Saints paid for the NSU band to go to the Superdome, but wouldn't foot the bill for the Nicholls trip. The only way to do both would be to pay for hotel rooms and that apparently wasn't in the budget for either Northwestern or the Saints....
Ah OK. I was wondering when I saw them in the Dome the next day. They usually bring a pep band to Thibodaux.

As for this week against SFA, I just hope the Colonels don't get big-headed after the win over Northwestern State and completely look past the Lumberjacks. Sort of a "trap" game for Nicholls State if you ask me.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 10th, 2007, 08:05 AM
upper tier? I didn't know the SLC had one!

yah, maybe a bad choice of words. maybe "top 3" would have been more appropriate. regardless, SELA is 1-0 with a great chance to go 2-0. maybe a little momentum can carry them...

...then again, maybe not.

NSUDemon98
October 10th, 2007, 12:12 PM

B/C there is a waste performing to 5,000 people. The decided to take the band to McNeese instead and perform for 17,000. Also, the Saints were so impressed with the DVD of the Demon Band they paid for their transportation this past Sunday. xbowx

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM
i remember when we (bobcat marching band) were invited to play for LOS SANTOS ("the saints") when they played in San Antonio. it was alot of fun...i even got to run one of the big flags across the field.

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
but, back to the predictions...

i'm expecting a few upsets this week, as the SLC begins its normal state of unpredictability.

patssle
October 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
but, back to the predictions...

i'm expecting a few upsets this week, as the SLC begins its normal state of unpredictability.

Agreed. I think SFA will be one of those upsets

blackfordpu
October 10th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Agreed. I think SFA will be one of those upsets

Are you serious? I would not be suprised if they did not win one game this season. Has a team ever gone winless in the SLC?

GeauxColonels
October 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I posted this in another discussion, but felt it to be pretty relevant for this thread as well:

I would LOVE to see 9-2, but we can't start thinking like that. Right now, we need to focus on getting a "W" in Nacogdoches. The Colonels have lost 2 in a row to the Lumberjacks and haven't won THERE since 1986 - that's right - over 20 years since the Colonels went to SFA and came out victorious. In fact, Nicholls State is 4-17 against SFA since 1986 (and that INCLUDES the 1986 win).

They were the only SLC team to defeat Nicholls State in 2005 when the Colonels won SLC co-champs with Texas State. Needless to say, our luck has been pretty bad against the Lumberjacks.

GeauxLions94
October 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I posted this in another discussion, but felt it to be pretty relevant for this thread as well:

I would LOVE to see 9-2, but we can't start thinking like that. Right now, we need to focus on getting a "W" in Nacogdoches. The Colonels have lost 2 in a row to the Lumberjacks and haven't won THERE since 1986 - that's right - over 20 years since the Colonels went to SFA and came out victorious. In fact, Nicholls State is 4-17 against SFA since 1986 (and that INCLUDES the 1986 win).

They were the only SLC team to defeat Nicholls State in 2005 when the Colonels won SLC co-champs with Texas State. Needless to say, our luck has been pretty bad against the Lumberjacks.

Try us not winning in Natchitoches since 1968 xeekx (kind of like the recent LSU streak where it couldn't beat Alabama in Tiger Stadium even if they purposedly gave Bama the wrong playing date). Granted we were out of the football business for 18 years, but we have not won there in last nine contests.

patssle
October 10th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Last time Bearkats won at Lake Charles - 1999
Last time Nicholls won at Naca-nowhere - 1986
Last time SELa won at Naca-nowhere-LA - 1968

McNeese75
October 10th, 2007, 11:26 PM
i remember when we (bobcat marching band) were invited to play for LOS SANTOS ("the saints") when they played in San Antonio. it was alot of fun...i even got to run one of the big flags across the field.

Not to hijack this thread but I just wanted to say I thought the Cat Band halftime performance was outstanding this past week xthumbsupx (Loved the music selection)

slycat
October 11th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Not to hijack this thread but I just wanted to say I thought the Cat Band halftime performance was outstanding this past week xthumbsupx (Loved the music selection)

how was the texas st student crowd for yall this year? i know theyve been troublesome in the past but im wondering if it changed.

McNeese75
October 11th, 2007, 12:17 AM
how was the texas st student crowd for yall this year? i know theyve been troublesome in the past but im wondering if it changed.

I found the Bobcat Stadium experience very nice this year. The students and McNeese fans were all cheering for their respective teams. I did not notice any bad interaction between the two. xbowx

slycat
October 11th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I found the Bobcat Stadium experience very nice this year. The students and McNeese fans were all cheering for their respective teams. I did not notice any bad interaction between the two. xbowx

thats good to hear. i had to work and missed the game. even though we lost i love watching mcneese st and was sad to miss it. maybe if i have a steady job next year i can make the trip to lake charles.

patssle
October 11th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I look foward to seeing the atmosphere in Lake Charles. I've heard a lot of bad things about Lousiana football games...and my 1 experience there (NWST) certainly fell in line with what I had heard.

I'll hold judgement about McNeese though 'til after Saturday.

FormerPokeCenter
October 11th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Generally, Cowboy Stadium is a great experience. But, like anywhere else, if you go looking for trouble, it's probably pretty easy to find...

McNeese72
October 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM

It was lot better than in year's past because Texas St. honored our request to have a designated section for the McNeese fans so that there wasn't much mixing of the McNeese fans with the Texas St. students. One of our assistant AD's made a call requesting the section.

Also, the McNeese cheerleaders could do their thing on the field in front of the McNeese section instead of in front of the Texas St. students. I know from talking with the cheerleader captain, the cheerleaders weren't planning on being on the field if the seating arrangements were the same as last trip. They weren't going to subject themselves to that situtation again.

Doc

NSUDemon98
October 11th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I look foward to seeing the atmosphere in Lake Charles. I've heard a lot of bad things about Lousiana football games...and my 1 experience there (NWST) certainly fell in line with what I had heard.

I guess maybe the past couple years Texas State has been taking atmosphere tips from Louisiana. xrolleyesx

I know McNeese fans hadn't enjoyed their last couple trips to San Marcos.

McNeese75
October 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Come early, tailgate with us, find your seat and cheer for your team. There are jerks in every stadium but you will not be near the student section and you should enjoy the game atmosphere (I can't promise you anything regarding the game outcome :) )

There have been a few rowdy fans that sit near the visitors section but I think that has been toned down quite a bit by other McFans getting on their azz.

McNeese75
October 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I guess maybe the past couple years Texas State has been taking atmosphere tips from Louisiana. xrolleyesx

I know McNeese fans hadn't enjoyed their last couple trips to San Marcos.

The SM situation was fixed this year xnodx

McTailGator
October 11th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I guess you president and AD got our message loud and clear this time by setting a reserved section for our fans and cheerleaders. NO problems this year.

Last time our fans bombarded the SLC, your AD, and your president with e-mails and our president even approached the SLC to force all SLC schools to place the home team in front of the student sections like it used to be in the SLC years ago.

In fact, that's why McNeese's team is the only SLC team to be on the opposite side of the Press Box. Our students side is right behine our team, which our players love.

Frosty The Snowbuff
October 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Are you serious? I would not be suprised if they did not win one game this season. Has a team ever gone winless in the SLC?

I'll let the Colonel fans answer that one :D

TexasTerror
October 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Looks like a fair share of the folks on here started this weekend 1-0. We'll see what happens in the rest of the games. They look pretty easy to figure out on paper, but this is the SLC...we're bound to see something happen. ;)

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Northwestern State bounced back with a 27-24 win over Southeastern.

From initial glances, it does not seem like any of the Southland prognosticators were able to make any gains with that one...

NWST hits the road for SHSU next week...

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Updated record...

TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 21-9
SLC Record: 7-2
Overall: 28-11