View Full Version : Big Sky enters new TV broadcast rights

wapiti
May 18th, 2022, 03:35 PM
https://www.kbzk.com/big-sky-conference/scripps-tv-stations-to-air-big-sky-conference-games-starting-in-2022

Games will be over the air for local markets.
I have no idea is Scripps or MTN has broadcast over the internet. There is none that I know of.

Games will no longer be on Root sports.

Edit:
Somehow I missed this gem in the article:
The conference will retain rights to digitally distribute and stream programming via the ESPN+ app

So sounds like there will be an internet stream of games.

AmsterBison
May 18th, 2022, 04:01 PM
I'd love the Big Sky to be on ESPN+!

nodak651
May 18th, 2022, 05:11 PM
Does the BigSky basically hijack the TV rights to the Montana schools by calling this a leaguewide TV deal? Are Montana and Montana State able to negotiate their own TV deals or does the Big Sky prevent that by signing contracts like this one and the root contract? Does either school currently have a separate TV deal?

- - - Updated - - -

Also thank god no more Root blackouts.

katss07
May 18th, 2022, 05:33 PM
For me living in Texas, the Root games were convenient because they were broadcasted nationally. So this kind of sucks, hopefully it’s free… can’t seem to tell in the article.

MR. CHICKEN
May 18th, 2022, 09:23 PM
For me living in Texas, the Root games were convenient because they were broadcasted nationally. So this kind of sucks, hopefully it’s free… can’t seem to tell in the article.

.......ESPN+....IS NOT FREE........BRAWK!

ST_Lawson
May 19th, 2022, 09:09 AM

It's not free, but with the number of FCS games that are aired on ESPN+, it's absolutely worth it for the $7/month through football season.

JALMOND
May 19th, 2022, 12:20 PM
https://www.kbzk.com/big-sky-conference/scripps-tv-stations-to-air-big-sky-conference-games-starting-in-2022

Games will be over the air for local markets.
I have no idea is Scripps or MTN has broadcast over the internet. There is none that I know of.

Games will no longer be on Root sports.

Edit:
Somehow I missed this gem in the article:
The conference will retain rights to digitally distribute and stream programming via the ESPN+ app

So sounds like there will be an internet stream of games.

Sounds to me more like the Big Sky is selling out at the expense of the non-Montana schools (bowing down to the two cash cows). Scripps has no coverage in Oregon or Washington and none in the Big Sky California markets. Granted, ROOT was getting crowded with the addition of the Kraken (NHL) and the Trail Blazers (NBA) so I guess the conference had to do something, but to claim that Scripps is in the same footprint as the conference is laughable.

Here is a list of Scripps' markets.

https://scripps.com/our-brands/local-media/

wapiti
May 19th, 2022, 01:19 PM
Sounds to me more like the Big Sky is selling out at the expense of the non-Montana schools (bowing down to the two cash cows). Scripps has no coverage in Oregon or Washington and none in the Big Sky California markets. Granted, ROOT was getting crowded with the addition of the Kraken (NHL) and the Trail Blazers (NBA) so I guess the conference had to do something, but to claim that Scripps is in the same footprint as the conference is laughable.

I think you missed seeing Scripps being in the Cal Poly market - San Luis Obispo

JALMOND
May 19th, 2022, 05:57 PM
I think you missed seeing Scripps being in the Cal Poly market - San Luis Obispo

My apologies. Having the Cal Poly market to go with the Montana markets will definitely be a boom for the conference. Definitely better than a presence in the Spokane, Portland or Sacramento markets.

Next time I'm in Lompoc, I'll look it up.

wapiti
May 19th, 2022, 06:13 PM
My apologies. Having the Cal Poly market to go with the Montana markets will definitely be a boom for the conference. Definitely better than a presence in the Spokane, Portland or Sacramento markets.

Next time I'm in Lompoc, I'll look it up.

I have seen the MTN network work with tv stations in the Spokane market. So there is potential Spokane will be a part of this too, but that is speculation on my part.

Weber St. could be included since Scribbs has a presence in Salt Lake. Odgen is not that far from Salt Lake.

It seems that Portland State, NAU, UNCU, Sac, and UC Davis are being left out in the cold. Not sure on the Idaho schools.

MSUBobcat
May 20th, 2022, 02:51 PM

When I first heard of this, I also thought, "Wow, the Big Sky is really bending to the will of MSU and UM." There were many folks in MT that were pissed about not being able to see the Brawl. But with Root only airing 1, or on rare occasions 2, BSC games each weekend and combined with adding Kraken and Trailblazers games, I kinda wonder if Root even wanted to continue the relationship. Presumably, ALL Big Sky games will now be available on ESPN+, whereas I believe the Root-aired games were blacked out on ESPN+, which is expanding availability, not contracting it. Granted you have to have ESPN+, but that is cheaper than getting a TV package that includes Root.

As for the team's that are in Scripps' markets, I would imagine the Boise and Twin Falls stations would air the Vandals' games and possibly ISU-o. KSBY will likely air Poly. Bobcats and Griz are a gimme. Weber and SLC I kinda doubt, just because it's a Fox station and they'll likely broadcast an FBS game, but maybe there's enough alumni presence to sway that? I also think NAU may get games aired in Phoenix and Tucson on the CW stations because... CW content on Saturday afternoon can't possibly draw more than 238 eyeballs, can it? I'd say there's 4 teams (UI, UM, MSU and CP) that will have increased availability (local and ESPN+), 2 (ISU-o and NAU) that are possible increases, and 1 that is probably doubtful. The other five aren't really that much worse off, because they probably only had 1 game per season on Root anyway and that game is now on a much more accessible ESPN+. Does the deal favor some teams (2 specifically) more than others? 100%. Are the other teams appreciably worse off? I would almost argue the opposite, with ESPN+ being pretty damn cheap (I get it free with my Verizon cell phone plan, along with Hulu and Disney+).

WestCoastAggie
May 20th, 2022, 05:47 PM
I have seen the MTN network work with tv stations in the Spokane market. So there is potential Spokane will be a part of this too, but that is speculation on my part.

Weber St. could be included since Scribbs has a presence in Salt Lake. Odgen is not that far from Salt Lake.

It seems that Portland State, NAU, UNCU, Sac, and UC Davis are being left out in the cold. Not sure on the Idaho schools.

Hmm... I wonder how the presidents at these schools feel about this?

WestCoastAggie
May 20th, 2022, 05:48 PM
When I first heard of this, I also thought, "Wow, the Big Sky is really bending to the will of MSU and UM." There were many folks in MT that were pissed about not being able to see the Brawl. But with Root only airing 1, or on rare occasions 2, BSC games each weekend and combined with adding Kraken and Trailblazers games, I kinda wonder if Root even wanted to continue the relationship. Presumably, ALL Big Sky games will now be available on ESPN+, whereas I believe the Root-aired games were blacked out on ESPN+, which is expanding availability, not contracting it. Granted you have to have ESPN+, but that is cheaper than getting a TV package that includes Root.

As for the team's that are in Scripps' markets, I would imagine the Boise and Twin Falls stations would air the Vandals' games and possibly ISU-o. KSBY will likely air Poly. Bobcats and Griz are a gimme. Weber and SLC I kinda doubt, just because it's a Fox station and they'll likely broadcast an FBS game, but maybe there's enough alumni presence to sway that? I also think NAU may get games aired in Phoenix and Tucson on the CW stations because... CW content on Saturday afternoon can't possibly draw more than 238 eyeballs, can it? I'd say there's 4 teams (UI, UM, MSU and CP) that will have increased availability (local and ESPN+), 2 (ISU-o and NAU) that are possible increases, and 1 that is probably doubtful. The other five aren't really that much worse off, because they probably only had 1 game per season on Root anyway and that game is now on a much more accessible ESPN+. Does the deal favor some teams (2 specifically) more than others? 100%. Are the other teams appreciably worse off? I would almost argue the opposite, with ESPN+ being pretty damn cheap (I get it free with my Verizon cell phone plan, along with Hulu and Disney+).

My question is whether or not the schools would have to pay these stations to air the games or will they pick them up at no cost and split the ad revenue with them?

ST_Lawson
May 20th, 2022, 09:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dCoq5XL.jpg

walliver
May 23rd, 2022, 12:04 PM
Other than the UM/MSU part, this deal seems very similar to the SoCon's deal with Sinclair.

All the games are still on ESPN+ (except for the ESPN3 games). I live out of market so I watch with ESPN+/ESPN3. The over-the-air games, even when watched on ESPN+, generally have neutral announcers - unlike the locally produced games. There may be a slight bias towards Furman, Wofford and Western Carolina since the TV crew is based out of the Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville market.

They do make the games available to other stations in markets where Sinclair doesn't have a station.