PDA

View Full Version : Montana State vs SUU questions

SeattleGriz
October 6th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hey Bobcat fans. What was up with your game today?

I find it hard to believe only 10 points were scored. Was the field just sloppy as hell?

By the way, no smack intended here, just curious.

Peems
October 6th, 2007, 11:22 PM
The field was HORRIBLE, it was muddy and snowy. Something should be done to fix it

Zoo
October 6th, 2007, 11:24 PM
The field was HORRIBLE, it was muddy and snowy. Something should be done to fix it

Are you serious? snow and mud are just absolutely dreadful conditions.

GeauxLions94
October 7th, 2007, 04:26 AM

They should get the same surface (SprinTurf) as their friends xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex over in Missoula :D

Poly Pigskin
October 7th, 2007, 04:40 AM

It's football, the way it was meant to be played. The games I have enjoyed the most are right after (or during) a big storm when the field is in terrible shape. I don't know about you guys, but I love games where bodies are falling all over the place and the players are so muddy you can't read the numbers.

appfan2008
October 7th, 2007, 08:31 AM
snow already???
awesome!
hey still a lot closer than i would have expected

BisonBacker
October 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Are you serious? snow and mud are just absolutely dreadful conditions.

Come on guys DaveK says thats the best football. Outdoor football is always best according to DaveK xcoffeex

DaGriz
October 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM
snow already???
awesome!
hey still a lot closer than i would have expected

I love it. Cat fans like to rip us for our weak schedule. In addition they like to remind us when we lost to James Madison in the N.Champ. a few years ago that both teams had to play in bad field conditions. The spin on this game should be interesting.

cats2506
October 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM
This game was a Mud Brawl. SUU's read option running game had an advantage in the slow conditions. Players numbers could not be read because of the mud. Bozeman had about 4 inches of wet slushy snow saturday morning. The it was still lightly snowing and the temp was in the mid 30's throughout the first half. In the second half the temp rose a little and it stopped snowing. The game came down to the wire but the Bobcat D pulled us through.

I have always been an advocate of grass fields, but after this game maybe we should think about turf. Until it freezes up the field will be in poor shape for the rest of the year.

cats2506
October 7th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I love it. Cat fans like to rip us for our weak schedule. In addition they like to remind us when we lost to James Madison in the N.Champ. a few years ago that both teams had to play in bad field conditions. The spin on this game should be interesting.

Last I checked, SUU scored 17 on your D and only 3 on our D. The Cat D has only given up 2 TD's in the last 4 games, how does that compare to your D. We won so why do we gotta spin it. I hear an unranked mid BSC team hung 500+ yards on you and took you down to the wire and you only won by 1 point. Lets hear the spin on that one huh. #1 yea right.

catbob
October 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Cat fans are not the only one to rip on your schedule, so don't act like we are the only fans in the nation thinking that. Hell, didn't I just read a CSN article on that very subject?

The spin is we didn't play like a top 25 team, Rolovich can't play against true man-to-man coverages worth a hoot, our O-Line was shoved all over the place, and our defense failed to get pressure on their QB. But after all that, we only allowed 3 points, won the turnover margin, and scored the only touchdown of the game. I am worried like hell against offensive teams like Eastern and PSU, but our offense should perform better in those games to. Our defense was on the field for 8 minutes more than theirs, and they wore down but still made the big play at the end of the game to seal the deal.

Now for some koolaid analysis:

SUU had two weeks to prepare for us, coming off a bye. They had a solid gameplan, and stuck to it. We didn't seem to make any adjustments - in fact our second half was even more atrocious than the first.

Our defense is built on speed, and bad conditions somewhat negate that. I really can't speak for the offense on this one though. We ran the ball just OKay, but couldn't do a single thing through the air.

Overall, considering last year we lost do a DII school, a mediocre UC Davis team 45-0, and a rebuilding EWU team all at home, I'll take an ugly 7-3 win over anybody any day.

uofmman1122
October 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Last I checked, SUU scored 17 on your D and only 3 on our D. The Cat D has only given up 2 TD's in the last 4 games, how does that compare to your D. We won so why do we gotta spin it. I hear an unranked mid BSC team hung 500+ yards on you and took you down to the wire and you only won by 1 point. Lets hear the spin on that one huh. #1 yea right.Can't wait till you guys have to play EWU. xrolleyesx

Peems
October 7th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Whoa, no need to attack the Cat fans, if you had seen the field you would understand how horrible it was. Plus we aren't ones to talk after our "escape" against Eastern. A W is a W and I'm sure both of our teams are glad we got one.

DaGriz
October 7th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Whoa, no need to attack the Cat fans, if you had seen the field you would understand how horrible it was. Plus we aren't ones to talk after our "escape" against Eastern. A W is a W and I'm sure both of our teams are glad we got one.

Why not? If we lost yesterday they would be all over us. Who cares. That's the fun part of rivalries and the football season. They can take it just like we can. And an escape against EWU is a little different then an escape to 0-4 S.Utah.

DaGriz
October 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Cat fans are not the only one to rip on your schedule, so don't act like we are the only fans in the nation thinking that. Hell, didn't I just read a CSN article on that very subject?

The spin is we didn't play like a top 25 team, Rolovich can't play against true man-to-man coverages worth a hoot, our O-Line was shoved all over the place, and our defense failed to get pressure on their QB. But after all that, we only allowed 3 points, won the turnover margin, and scored the only touchdown of the game. I am worried like hell against offensive teams like Eastern and PSU, but our offense should perform better in those games to. Our defense was on the field for 8 minutes more than theirs, and they wore down but still made the big play at the end of the game to seal the deal.

Now for some koolaid analysis:

SUU had two weeks to prepare for us, coming off a bye. They had a solid gameplan, and stuck to it. We didn't seem to make any adjustments - in fact our second half was even more atrocious than the first.

Our defense is built on speed, and bad conditions somewhat negate that. I really can't speak for the offense on this one though. We ran the ball just OKay, but couldn't do a single thing through the air.

Overall, considering last year we lost do a DII school, a mediocre UC Davis team 45-0, and a rebuilding EWU team all at home, I'll take an ugly 7-3 win over anybody any day.

With Kramer you would have lost this game. I felt if you lost this game you really hadn't changed much since Kramer. Ash is turning your program around. Cats always win the games they shouldn't and then take a crap against weak teams. I always say I'll take a win no matter how ugly it is. Your offense better shore it up before next weekend though. EWU is going to be tough.

Bronco
October 7th, 2007, 04:50 PM
You can't blame the field for a poor game...that's what we do.

That "field' should be in fine shape by the end of November.

CrazyCat
October 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM
The only good thing to come out of this mud wrestling game was that LB Bobby Daly had 17 ttl tackles(11 solo, 2 sacks). He is 1st in the Big Sky and 5th in the nation.

http://images.townnews.com/bozemandailychronicle.com/content/articles/2007/10/07/sports/10msu_thumb.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:thumbnailWindow('/articles/2007/10/07/sports/10msu.img', 600, 626))

uofmman1122
October 7th, 2007, 05:28 PM
The only good thing to come out of this mud wrestling game was that LB Bobby Daly had 17 ttl tackles(11 solo, 2 sacks). He is 1st in the Big Sky and 5th in the nation.That's pretty impressive. xthumbsupx

Also, that's the first picture I've seen of the game....tough conditions, indeed.

CrazyCat
October 7th, 2007, 06:06 PM
That's pretty impressive. xthumbsupx

Also, that's the first picture I've seen of the game....tough conditions, indeed.

http://images.townnews.com/billingsgazette.net/content/articles/2007/10/07/sports/local/24-bobcats.jpg

GOKATS
October 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Why not? If we lost yesterday they would be all over us. Who cares. That's the fun part of rivalries and the football season. They can take it just like we can. And an escape against EWU is a little different then an escape to 0-4 S.Utah.

Not necessarily so- SUU is now 0-5 with losses to McNeese St., Montana, S. Ill., UND and Montana St. A lot of FCS teams could be 0-5 with their schedule (and it doesn't get any better from here on).

Peems
October 7th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Not necessarily so- SUU is now 0-5 with losses to McNeese St., Montana, S. Ill., UND and Montana St. A lot of FCS teams could be 0-5 with their schedule (and it doesn't get any better from here on).

So true.

CatFan22
October 7th, 2007, 06:39 PM
So far, the teams SUU has played are 26-1. That one loss coming from Texas A&M against MSU.

I Bleed Purple
October 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Conditions don't look to be that different from Ogden on Saturday and we threw for 250 and four touchdowns. xcoffeex

Yes, I was as surprised as anybody at that.

GOKATS
October 7th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Conditions don't look to be that different from Ogden on Saturday and we threw for 250 and four touchdowns. xcoffeex

Yes, I was as surprised as anybody at that.

Yea, WSU is such a powerhouse- congrats on your first win of the season.xrolleyesx

Did you have 4" of snow to get off the field a couple hours before kickoff? It's not anything we're not used to, but it was very wet sloppy snow and the conditions were pretty bad. Later in the year snow doesn't matter because the field is frozen so it doesn't just turn into a mud bog.

Mike Johnson
October 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Yea, WSU is such a powerhouse- congrats on your first win of the season.xrolleyesx

Did you have 4" of snow to get off the field a couple hours before kickoff? It's not anything we're not used to, but it was very wet sloppy snow and the conditions were pretty bad. Later in the year snow doesn't matter because the field is frozen so it doesn't just turn into a mud bog.

I would defer to somebody that was actually at the game in Ogden, but I do know that there was snow and freezing rain along the Wasatch Front yesterday. But, logically Montana may have had it worst. Still, lack of frozen turf coupled with a lot of moisture could very well have created similar conditions.

I Bleed Purple
October 7th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Yeah, we suck on offense and we got 250 in the snow and another 160 on the ground.

Was rain/rain-snow mix/snow from evening Friday through the game. Lots of water on the ground. Field doesn't hold water well. Pretty bad conditions. Amount of snow doesn't matter, it's the saturation of the ground, which Weber's field was very high.

barechestcat
October 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Right now, we don't play at all well against teams capable of man coverage. Both WSU and SUU have been able to bring lots of pressure on the QB and shut down the run. So, with minimal run game in place, and no time to throw, our offense has struggled mightily in those games.

We've got a long way to go offensively to get to the level of our defense. IMO this stems from both play calling, audibles, and better communication on blocking within the offensive line in recognizing the blitz (on one play yesterday our LG and LT completely let the DT by without touching him and Rolo had to run for his life right off of the snap.

Did the field effect us? Yes! Did the field effect SUU? Yes! I happen to believe they executed their game plan better then we did; I really love watching the read option ran well. It's no wonder they have averaged 20 points per game this year with the way they move the ball.

McNeese_beat
October 7th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I'll say this: SUU had a huge advantage over MSU playing on a bad field. They played on a HORRIBLE field against McNeese at home in their last game. It never rains down there in the high desert of Cedar City but the day of the McNeese game there was a deluge that would make Louisiana proud. You talk about a place not prepared for rain! Even I-15 isn't graded to allow water to drain to the shoulders, so all the water was just sitting on the road (well, actually, running downhill to create pools in the low points of the roads). And the field at Eccles did not drain AT ALL.

It was the slushiest mess I've seen since Nicholls and McNeese played in a downpour a few years back in Lake Charles.

So the field in Bozeman may not have been the worst field they've played on this year...

Bobcat in NC
October 8th, 2007, 07:46 AM
The only good thing to come out of this mud wrestling game was that LB Bobby Daly had 17 ttl tackles(11 solo, 2 sacks). He is 1st in the Big Sky and 5th in the nation.

http://images.townnews.com/bozemandailychronicle.com/content/articles/2007/10/07/sports/10msu_thumb.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:thumbnailWindow('/articles/2007/10/07/sports/10msu.img', 600, 626))

I can almost hear Bobby making a wicked jet plane sound...

Walkon79
October 8th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I can almost hear Bobby making a wicked jet plane sound...

And he's not on the Buchanan Watch? What's up with that?

CatFan22
October 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM
And he's not on the Buchanan Watch? What's up with that?

He better be.

Bobcat in NC
October 9th, 2007, 07:43 AM
He better be.

If his name doesn't appear on the list in the next week or two, there's something VERY wrong (not that I'd be surprised, as Bobby got completely hosed on the preseason lists...) xnonono2x

McNeese72
October 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM
From what I saw of SUU when we played them in Cedar City, they were just plain bad.

The final score was 41-20 but we called off the dogs when the score was 34-0 in the middle of the third quarter and started playing everybody that made the trip. They got most of their yardage and their scores playing against our 2nd and 3rd team defensive players. They had 54 total yards of offense at halftime.

I don't know if the field was as bad as the one in Montana St. but it was in terrible shape after the rain they had. And the grass covering the mud was long.

Doc

saccat
October 9th, 2007, 10:16 AM
A win is a win. Am I happy we didn't win by 30-40? No, but I will take it. I will always be happy with a win. Now the Griz suck because they can't win big...xsmiley_wix

catatac
October 9th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I love how all these Griz fans are coming out of the woodwork telling us how hard it's going to be to beat EWU... xrolleyesx AFTER I've been saying all along that the Griz wouldn't be ready for EWU's speed because UM hadn't played any tough teams yet. Just because they piled up almost 600 yards against the Griz does not mean they'll do the same against the Cats. Hopefully our game doesn't come down to a miracle catch and FG kick to steal a W... xeekx

P.S. I do not mean to discount EWU. They are a very talented and well coached team. I believe Ash will have us ready for them however.

Screamin_Eagle174
October 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Last I checked, SUU scored 17 on your D and only 3 on our D. The Cat D has only given up 2 TD's in the last 4 games, how does that compare to your D. We won so why do we gotta spin it. I hear an unranked mid BSC team hung 500+ yards on you and took you down to the wire and you only won by 1 point. Lets hear the spin on that one huh. #1 yea right.

lol xlolx

Mike Johnson
October 10th, 2007, 12:26 PM
From what I saw of SUU when we played them in Cedar City, they were just plain bad.

The final score was 41-20 but we called off the dogs when the score was 34-0 in the middle of the third quarter and started playing everybody that made the trip. They got most of their yardage and their scores playing against our 2nd and 3rd team defensive players. They had 54 total yards of offense at halftime.

I don't know if the field was as bad as the one in Montana St. but it was in terrible shape after the rain they had. And the grass covering the mud was long.

Doc

True, Southern Utah has struggled this year as they often have in the past. But, this year, I find it somewhat amazing the schedule they have played this year. I wonder who, if anybody, has had a harder schedule in Division I-FCS this year.

All five polls mentioned are the current polls and are found on the CSTV web site.

09/01 at Montana L 37-17
Montana is 5-0 and 4th in the AGS FCS College Football Rankings; 2nd in the FCS Coaches Poll; and 1st in the Sport Network's FCS Rankings.

09/08 North Dakota L 37-10
North Dakota in its last year in Division II is 6-0 and 2nd in the AFCA Division II Coaches' Poll and 2nd in the D2Football.com's Media Top 25 Poll.

09/15 S Illinois L 44-10
Southern Illinois is 6-0 and 8th in the AGS FCS College Football Rankings; 6th in the FCS Coaches Poll; and 7th in the Sport Network's FCS Rankings.

09/22 McNeese St L 41-20
McNesse State is 5-0 and 6th in the AGS FCS College Football Rankings; 7th in the FCS Coaches Poll; and 6th in the Sport Network's FCS Rankings.

10/06 at Montana St L 7-3
Montana State is 4-1 (loss at Texas A&M) and is 15th in the AGS FCS College Football Rankings; 12th in the FCS Coaches Poll; and 11th in the Sport Network's FCS Rankings.

Now they get to go to Youngstown State.
Youngstown State is 4-2 with losses at Ohio State and at Southern Illinois and is 10th in the AGS FCS College Football Rankings; 13th in the FCS Coaches Poll; and 12th in the Sport Network's FCS Rankings.

Talk about shock therapy. Last year they started off with some panzies and this year they have taken the mission impossible route. Of course, last year they had a very close game at McNeese State leading late before losing 30-27.

McNeese72
October 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Of course, last year they had a very close game at McNeese State leading late before losing 30-27.

Yes, that was the first game after we fired our head coach mid-week and the interim head coach and remaining coaches were scrambling to move coaches around and put together a game plan. We eventually turned things around and had a decent season.

Doc

Mike Johnson
October 10th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Yes, that was the first game after we fired our head coach mid-week and the interim head coach and remaining coaches were scrambling to move coaches around and put together a game plan. We eventually turned things around and had a decent season.

Doc

And you appear to be doing something right this year. Good luck on the rest of the season.

Grizalltheway
October 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
A win is a win. Am I happy we didn't win by 30-40? No, but I will take it. I will always be happy with a win. Now the Griz suck because they can't win big...xsmiley_wix

37-17? You're right, that pales in comparison to 7-3. xrolleyesx

Grizzaholic
October 10th, 2007, 03:09 PM
37-17? You're right, that pales in comparison to 7-3. xrolleyesx

Especially when SUU is driving at the end of the 4th and you have to pick off a pass in the endzone to seal the victory.

uofmman1122
October 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Especially when SUU is driving at the end of the 4th and you have to pick off a pass in the endzone to seal the victory.A win's a win. Who cares how or why?

WyomingGrizFan
October 10th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Portent of the future: mud bowl again in Bozeman come third week of november.

Some people may mistakenly assume that football should be played on natural turf. I don't. Baseball, yes, but not football. As been reported many times in the TSN, NFL scouts have repeatedly stated that natural turf causes more injuries, sometimes twice as many, as a decent artificial turf. The slipping and slidding doesn't allow good traction, etc. I guess that might be a good topic for the off-season: whether natural or artificial turf. Knowing that Chattanooga already has an artificial surface, of course.

Griz0383
October 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM
SUU must be dog tired, physically as well as mentaly. I bet they are improving a bit every week with this intense schedule but at what cost. Has it killed their spirit? Will they have anything left for conference play.

ursus arctos horribilis
October 10th, 2007, 10:01 PM
SUU must be dog tired, physically as well as mentaly. I bet they are improving a bit every week with this intense schedule but at what cost. Has it killed their spirit? Will they have anything left for conference play.

Conference gives them a chance at redemption though as none of this matters if they start winning. The chances of them winning are very slim but they haven't lost a game in conference. They are still in the running for the conference title.

Griz0383
October 10th, 2007, 10:13 PM
SUU shouldn't focus on the conference title they should set their goals a bit higher and focus on the national title! ya thats it! the Naaational champioonshiiip! Strange buts not out of the realm of possibilities! GO SUU! just when I thought I couldn't get any dumber I totally redeem my self!