PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh 'Turnsover' for Fordham

ngineer
October 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM
It was very ugly in the Bronx today for those with Brown eyes. Lehigh was inside Fordham's 15 yard line 4 times today and scored zero points, on the way to losing to the Rams 28-18. Kudos to the Rams who came to play and obviously were carrying a lot of momentum from their win over Colgate. Lehigh's players came out flat and uninspired and it showed. While everyone was broiling in the 87 degree sun, Fordham put on good pressure on Threatt who was horrible today, throwing over, behind and at the feet of his receivers. Despite this Lehigh was in position to still try and pull the game out trailing 21-18 with just over 2 minutes to play. Threatt's first pass went right into the arms of a Ram defender who took it 40 yards to the house to seal the game. It was the FOURTH turnover of the day.

After such an emotional win last week over Harvard, this was extremely disappointing. Indeed, I'd call it one of the most embarrassing losses a Lehigh team has suffered in years. While everyone had a hand in the debacle, the primary responsibility lays at the feet of the coaching staff in not having this team ready to play. They came out WALKING onto the field. No energy or spirit. While the defense did play well at times, the offense was horribly inconsistent which seemed to reflect a lack of focus.
This team is at a crossroads. It can win out and still have a shot at a co-championship, because there is a lot of parity in the PL this year. If we play like we did today, next week at Yale, we'll lose by 50. Coen has a big job to do in righting a ship that seems to be sputtering badly. Lehigh is not good enough to just 'turn it on' when they want to; but that is the attitude that I detect from this team--yes they are talented, but the focus and execution is only there half the time. The 'heart' I saw last week against Harvard was not there today in the first half. xsmhx xsmhx

LehighFan11
October 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM
This team is horrible. I didnt get a chance to watch the game but 4 ints is really bad. Lehigh has been getting outplayed in almost every half expect 2 this year. Lehigh needs to wake up and use next weeks game as a prepartion for Holy Cross. Forget about beating Yale, there is no chance. Lehigh's offense needs to be ready in 2 weeks or this season is over. I dont know what is wrong with Sedale but did something happen to him mentally or physically beacuse i have never seen him play this bad.

Franks Tanks
October 6th, 2007, 09:31 PM
It was very ugly in the Bronx today for those with Brown eyes. Lehigh was inside Fordham's 15 yard line 4 times today and scored zero points, on the way to losing to the Rams 28-18. Kudos to the Rams who came to play and obviously were carrying a lot of momentum from their win over Colgate. Lehigh's players came out flat and uninspired and it showed. While everyone was broiling in the 87 degree sun, Fordham put on good pressure on Threatt who was horrible today, throwing over, behind and at the feet of his receivers. Despite this Lehigh was in position to still try and pull the game out trailing 21-18 with just over 2 minutes to play. Threatt's first pass went right into the arms of a Ram defender who took it 40 yards to the house to seal the game. It was the FOURTH turnover of the day.

After such an emotional win last week over Harvard, this was extremely disappointing. Indeed, I'd call it one of the most embarrassing losses a Lehigh team has suffered in years. While everyone had a hand in the debacle, the primary responsibility lays at the feet of the coaching staff in not having this team ready to play. They came out WALKING onto the field. No energy or spirit. While the defense did play well at times, the offense was horribly inconsistent which seemed to reflect a lack of focus.
This team is at a crossroads. It can win out and still have a shot at a co-championship, because there is a lot of parity in the PL this year. If we play like we did today, next week at Yale, we'll lose by 50. Coen has a big job to do in righting a ship that seems to be sputtering badly. Lehigh is not good enough to just 'turn it on' when they want to; but that is the attitude that I detect from this team--yes they are talented, but the focus and execution is only there half the time. The 'heart' I saw last week against Harvard was not there today in the first half. xsmhx xsmhx

Wow even more embarresing that last years loss to Lafayette

JoltinJoe
October 7th, 2007, 06:22 AM

It was great catching up with you before the game and being able to place a name with a face.

You are absolutely correct that the turnovers in this game were the difference. Statistically the game was otherwise pretty even, with a slight tilt in Lehigh's favor.

I don't even recall seeing a Lehigh team make so many mistakes. If you had told me before the game that the losing team would turn the ball over four times, I would have been very concerned because Lehigh doesn't do that.

Pards Rule
October 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Wow - couldnt believe the score this AM. Rams are for real!

hc12
October 7th, 2007, 10:17 AM
the rams are the sleeper in the pl. watch out they will be sneeking up on everybody.Way to go fordham from your jesuits brother HC.

ngineer
October 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Wow even more embarresing that last years loss to Lafayette

Absolutely. Despite the score, we played with heart last year in that loss. We battled back to virtually tie the game before we ran out of gas. Furthermore, you had a stronger team on the field. While Fordham deserved to win because they played better, I did not see them as being superior in size, strength or speed. They played better as a team, though. We moved the ball "when we had to" which seems to get to the mentality of the team. But then, four trips inside the 15 and ZERO points? Two INTs and three blown field goals.

Franks Tanks
October 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Absolutely. Despite the score, we played with heart last year in that loss. We battled back to virtually tie the game before we ran out of gas. Furthermore, you had a stronger team on the field. While Fordham deserved to win because they played better, I did not see them as being superior in size, strength or speed. They played better as a team, though. We moved the ball "when we had to" which seems to get to the mentality of the team. But then, four trips inside the 15 and ZERO points? Two INTs and three blown field goals.

I hear what your saying, I was just taking a little shot there xlolx. Also we have another wide open PL race. Colgate, Lehigh, Fordham, The Cross, and Lafayette are all pretty close and all have there flaws. If I has to pick a favorite I think it would be Holy Cross at this point. If they could play even a lick of Defense they would be exteremly hard to beat.

RichH2
October 7th, 2007, 01:31 PM
N

you nailed it. only game I can make this yr. A debacle would be a charitable assessment. Seems coen wants to run the Tebow offense, I love sedale but he is not Tebow.
I go back to the OL I lost count of the missed assignments early on. They are surprisingly bad. I thought the Ol would be our strength on offense. Coen needs to talk to hie OL coach.

Pard 82
October 7th, 2007, 04:58 PM
the rams are the sleeper in the pl. watch out they will be sneeking up on everybody.Way to go fordham from your jesuits brother HC.

Not any more. After this win, I don't think they will be sneaking up on anybody.

Go...gate
October 7th, 2007, 05:07 PM

Wow, strong stuff. It was a conference game and these things do happen. Fordham is clearly a revitalized and damn good program deserving of congratulations. They also killed Colgate in the second half last week in Hamilton. Still a lot of football to be played, but they may be the team to beat, along with Lafayette (I cannot figure out how they let that Princeton game get away).

Lehigh Football Nation
October 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Sunday's Word on this game is up, and it's "If".

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Fordham
October 8th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Incredible win for our young team this weekend. While I understand a Lehigh fan's frustration, I gotta tell you I'm really put out when I read things like this is the most embarrassing loss in years or that converting some of those red zone opportunities would have meant a guaranteed win or that it was clear that Lehigh had bigger, faster & better overall players. As a Fordham fan it was extremely frustrating to see the team that so dominated the first half come out so flat in the second half as you guys marched right up the field. We looked lifeless and the third quarter was just abysmal for us. Throw in the fumbled punt return after our first good defensive stand of the 2nd half and there were many fans (me included) bemoaning the fact that we didn't come out like we wanted to put you guys away but instead came out ridiculously flat and let you right back into it. Again, it's one thing to say that this was an incredible disappointment for you guys but calling it the "most embarrassing loss in years" really connotes that you lost to a team that you had no business losing to and that's outrageous for anyone who watched that game. I really feel that we had the better team out there with the better athletes (particularly speed-wise). I understand Lehigh fans may feel differently but to think that these weren't at least two pretty fairly matched teams really confounds me. If you agree that there was athletic parity, then I don't know how this could be the most embarrassing loss in years.

To me, the key reasons for our win were:

*Vastly superior QB play - Skelton was tremendous - he showed great poise, decision making, his arm is great and he can run very well when needed. Perhaps most important, he is big in the clutch - when we get in the red zone or the game is close, he's at his best. Pretty much the exact opposite could be said of Threatt. I don't want to belabor points that have been made here and on the Lehigh board but this was the first time I had seen him in person and I was stunned. He had the worst accuracy of any QB I've seen play in a long time. Perhaps worse was his decision making. For example, there were times when he was clearly way outside of the tackles and could have thrown it away but he ended up taking losses ... as if he thinks he can still make something out of nothing even when it's far past the point that a more mature QB or better decision maker would have bailed and never taken the loss. Perhaps most telling, I can tell you that when the game was close and far from over in the last few minutes, I leaned over a told my father that there's no way that Threatt could beat us and I had complete confidence that if you guys found another way to go up on us, that Skelton would lead us back. As a Fordham fan I can't tell you how weird and great that feeling is. Best description I could provide of Threatt is that he played most of the game as though he was rattled.

*Defensive Speed - the staff moved some LB's like Fonzie Culver to down linemen and recruited some great, great speed guys these past two seasons. An example is one of our marquee recruits, LB Nick Magiera, who was a track champ in IL and had I-A offers. There were several plays where I saw Threatt move to run with the ball and you just saw Magiera fill in so quickly and make him pass or else tackle him. Magiera was also the kid who flew down the field to cover the punt return right before Threatt's huge INT for a TD, where he got clipped because he made it down on coverage so quickly. That was a huge, huge play as it meant the difference between going around 70 yds for the score and going maybe 45.

*Heavy substitutions on a brutally hot day - in that dominant first half we seemed to have the ball forever and we were really starting to wear down your Dline. I remember commenting at how few subs you guys were making while on pretty much every play when we were on D, you'd see our D line & LB's coming in and out. That day was so brutally hot that this had to have taken a toll. It's also a reason that I was so disappointed with how flat we came out in the 2nd half. I really thought we had a chance to pound on you guys in the 2nd half if we came out strong and tried to really force the running game but unfortunately that didn't happen.

*Offensive playcalling - sometimes it can drive us fans a little nuts (like going for it on 4th and 1 from our own 30 so early in the game) but I really think that you guys were a bit flat footed by our playcalling. I don't think there was a down where you guys knew we were going to run and I really think that helped keep you guys off balance on D, which was critical for some of the success we had ... particularly in the red zone.

Again, this staff has done a remarkable job in turning things around so quickly. I still see us as underdogs v. HC and Lafayette but our team is definitely for real and only getting better as they gain confidence. Hopefully that can continue this week at Georgetown. I've said from the pre-season that I could see us surprising some teams and then losing to teams that most would expect us to beat ... just the nature of playing so many frosh & sophs. So I'm very nervous with this week's away game following two emotional back-to-back wins and with Lafayette on deck ... and I hope we're fully prepared and 'up' to play our rivals this week. So far, though, they've really exceeded expectations and that means that we need to win at Georgetown next week and get ready for a huge & very, very difficult matchup for us v. Lafayette the following week.

colgate13
October 8th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Good job Fordham. Parity reigns right now. That's hard to swallow for some (myself included). When the dust settles though, we'll all realize it's good for the league.

Doc QB
October 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Congrats to Fordham. While no disrespect was meant by those of us who feel this was such an embarrassing loss, it could have been ANY team this week that we typically handle, beating our butt that would get our collective panties in a bunch. We are obviously not where we need to be, and it is frustrating. That being said, wins like this are perception changers, statement games, and I doff my hat in your direction on a job well done.

On another note, our QB play is poor. Period. I take great issue with LFN's comments on his blog regarding Sedale as the best to put on a uniform and play QB for the Brown and White. I enjoy his blog, share his enthusiasm for our team, and agree with most of his views. His comments on Sedale diminish the efforts of all QB's on South Mountain who preceded him. Having stepped under center at Goodman when the band was playing gives one differerent perspective (admittedly, I was NEVER a Kempa, Semtimphelter, Stambaugh, Hall, relegated to mop up and brief series for injuries). But, talented as he may bem Sedale is not in that class either, no way. And his NFL prospects are really non-existent.

The local paper in Bethlehem ran an article on how Coen wants so much to run the ball. I am not sure if he gets some kind of incentive for grinding out yards on the ground, but this effort seems to make us all grind our teeth. I personally feel that LU played their best ball when they lit up the skies with the air game.

We should have hired, Dave Cecchini. Discuss.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM
His comments on Sedale diminish the efforts of all QB's on South Mountain who preceded him. Having stepped under center at Goodman when the band was playing gives one differerent perspective (admittedly, I was NEVER a Kempa, Semtimphelter, Stambaugh, Hall, relegated to mop up and brief series for injuries). But, talented as he may bem Sedale is not in that class either, no way. And his NFL prospects are really non-existent.

Doc, I respect your opinion, but in no way am I diminishing the efforts of those preceding QBs. What I said was "I feel he's the most talented quarterback I've ever seen put on a Lehigh uniform. He can do things with the football that quarterbacks on classic Lehigh teams could only dream of doing." That does NOT mean he is the most successful.

For lack of a better analogy, Michael Vick could have been the most talented QB ever for the Falcons, but he was not the most successful - Steve Bartowski or Chris Chandler gave the Falcons the most success. Calling Michael Vick the most talented doesn't take away from Bartowski or Chandler's success.

And I respectfully disagree about Sedale's NFL prospects too.

bobcat7
October 8th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I was there on saturday as an impartial fan of this level of ball and was looking forward to seeing Threatt do his sweet thing. I sat among the Lehigh people who whined non-stop for more dead ball fouls to be called. Fortunately, I thought, the officials let them play.
Several things:
1) Taking in all aspects of the position, Skelton is probably a quarterback I'd rather have than Threatt (blasphemy!);
2) I counted at least 6 offensive plays for Lehigh of 25 yards or more, none of which ended in the end zone. Fordham's defense pursued and closed to the ball non-stop for 60 minutes;
3) As someone else pointed out, Fordham seemed to use more people more extensively on a hot day;
4) Fordham had much the better of the interior line play for almost the entire game. Because of this, they were able to use more of their offensive repertoire (despite excessive use of the "spread"). Lehigh, on the other hand, was only effective to the outside and mostly on broken or salvaged plays. As bad as the criticism has been of Threatt, it was only his resourcefulness that kept it close.
5) Lehigh kept coming back relentlessly as Threatt apparently has their faith and he was deadly calm and effective during the closing minutes.

This was, in no way, an embarrassment to anyone (except perhaps for the whiners).
xcoolx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM
1) Taking in all aspects of the position, Skelton is probably a quarterback I'd rather have than Threatt (blasphemy!);

4) Fordham had much the better of the interior line play for almost the entire game. Because of this, they were able to use more of their offensive repertoire (despite excessive use of the "spread"). Lehigh, on the other hand, was only effective to the outside and mostly on broken or salvaged plays. As bad as the criticism has been of Threatt, it was only his resourcefulness that kept it close.
5) Lehigh kept coming back relentlessly as Threatt apparently has their faith and he was deadly calm and effective during the closing minutes.
xcoolx

I agree with everything posted here. Skelton is better at this point because he made fewer mistakes, which justifies why you'd prefer to have him over Threatt; but without Threatt, this would have been even worse. This demonstrates perfectly that this was a team loss.

carney2
October 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
We should have hired, Dave Cecchini. Discuss.

Here's hoping that this isn't the beginning of something or the tip of some iceberg. While I stated early on that sacking Air Lehigh in favor of a "balanced attack" was a mistake, making Lehigh just another cookie cutter team that would almost certainly cause them to lose their greatest recruiting advantage - getting automatic interest from quality QBs and receivers - it is way too early to give up on Andy Coen or start a whispering campaign a'la Pete Lembo. Coen is a member of the family, knows what is expected of him, and gives no indication that, in the long run, he won't move things in the right direction. C'mon, guys, three years minimum - four if you have a heart.

flyenhigh
October 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Jeese didnt Dayton beat Fordham?? Interesting none the less. Seems as if pioneer and patriot are more simular that most of u think. I have known this for years but it is recently really starting to show.

DetroitFlyer
October 8th, 2007, 06:37 PM
AND, The PL Champion receives an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs.....

Kind of interesting that the first place team in the PL today has only lost to a NEC and a PFL team....

I also think that Fordham is no fluke. I could see a ton of talent when I was there for the Dayton game. It was the turnovers that killed Fordham that day, not a lack of talent. I think that Fordham will be in the thick of the PL race to the end, and with some good fortune, they just might win it all!

DetroitFlyer
October 8th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Kind of interesting that the first place team in the PL today has only lost to a NEC and a PFL team....

I also think that Fordham is no fluke. I could see a ton of talent when I was there for the Dayton game. It was the turnovers that killed Fordham that day, not a lack of talent. I think that Fordham will be in the thick of the PL race to the end, and with some good fortune, they just might win it all!

Doc QB
October 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Since I am quite computer illiterate and cannot capture specific quotes to comment, please bear with me:

Carney...I was merely giving a plug to my buddy Cecc, whom I shared a locker next to for a few seasons. I was disappointed he did not get his shot, and think he is more "in the family" than Coen. I agreed with you way back when you did first state LU should never turn in its frequent flier miles.

LFN...I must, respectfully (damn, we are CORDIAL here!) agree with your reply; I am merely disappointed with our QB play, something I hold dear to my heart as a former Engineer signal caller who understands everything it takes to prepare for each game (and would have killed to get more meaningful snaps, too, other than PAT holding).

BUT, Sedale is not an NFL QB. He almost has the dimensions, may have the arm, does not have the stats, and really does not have that impressive feet. Look at all Stambaugh did with his dimensions, stats, four years under center, league titles, LU-Laff wins...and he struggles. It is not really a criticism of Sedale as much as a realization of what it really takes to play at that level. My opinion, only.

And frustrating as it may be to LU fans, for the league in general, this parity is pretty interesting...hopefully because all of our play has elevated and not that we all stink.

Pard4Life
October 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM

..and the PL does rightly deserve that automatic playoff bid. That other first-place PL team lost to an Ivy team.. and has never lost to an NEC and PFL team..

On that note... NEC and PFL should not be placed on the same level any longer, even though both are non-auto playoff bid leagues. I agree that the NEC deserves a berth.. if they expand the field we will not even be having this conversation.

Furthermore, one game (Fordham v Dayton) is not a representative sample worthy of comparing league play. Fordham's lost to Dayton is the 'worst' loss by a league team this season I believe.

It's like saying "App St. beat Michigan, so the SoCon is equal or better than the Big 10"

Pard4Life
October 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Not to be an arrogant Pard fan here towards Lehigh, but I am not surprised at all (well only a little considering Fordham is 1-16 vs. Lehigh or something) that Lehigh lost. I can't say though "I told you so" but one could have seen it coming.

I was at the Harvard game and was very unimpressed with Lehigh. As I said last week, Harvard lost that game themselves. The final moments were just drama because Harvard didn't 'finish the job' at various points. Lehigh didn't even have an offensive touchdown in that game.

The defense was equally questionable.. particularly in pass coverage. The fans kept railing on #12 and they had a point... no hands up or facing the ball after the receiver positions self for a catch..

And yes as for Threatt.. he is all over the place.. there seems to be no chemistry with his recievers, as well as bad passes.

DFW HOYA
October 8th, 2007, 09:42 PM
And frustrating as it may be to LU fans, for the league in general, this parity is pretty interesting...hopefully because all of our play has elevated and not that we all stink.

xbangx

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Yep, pretty embarassing when the first place team in the "mighty" Patriot League has lost to the "lowly" Flyers, (LOL)!! I have no problem with any fan having an inflated view of their team or league, but here is the deal.... Drake, San Diego, Morehead State and Dayton could all have a legitimate shot at winning the PL this year. I think the same is true for Albany, and maybe CCSU.

As for the NEC and PFL, the leagues are about even. The top of the PFL is better than the NEC, ( Drake and San Diego ). MSU and Dayton are on a par with Albany IMHO. I have little doubt that the PFL will win the Gridiron Classic again this year, even if our second place team plays because the champion goes to playoffs.

carney2
October 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Lots of bluster and gloating here from the mid-majors based on one victory in a lifetime of trying. Let's see, Dayton beat Fordham and Fordham beat ____ who beat... Pretty soon these D-III escapees will have the Flyers beating LSU and Sothern Cal - on the same day.

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2007, 07:58 AM
PL fans embarrased by losing to Mid-Majors.... Kind of funny.... All I can say is that you might want to get used to it.... And saying the PL is mighty because you lose to Ivy teams? Is that the same Ivy League whose co-champion was dismantled by some team out in California? You may not like it, or even care to believe it, butt there are teams in both the PFL and NEC that can play with ANY team in the PL or Ivy....

carney2
October 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM
there are teams in both the PFL and NEC that can play with ANY team in the PL or Ivy....

Undoubtedly true, but based on the sample I see here, their fans have no class.

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Carney2:

Fans of the PFL and NEC have more "class" than almost anyone on AGS. For the most part, we spend all of our time on the defensive listening to people like you cast dispersions on our teams and leagues. This is especially true for the PFL.... Even when we win games against traditional conference teams, we still get no respect.... Frankly, I find your comment offensive, unwarranted, and a direct reflection on your personal level of "class" Ever hear of that glass houses thing?

LUHawker
October 9th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Carney2:

Fans of the PFL and NEC have more "class" than almost anyone on AGS. For the most part, we spend all of our time on the defensive listening to people like you cast dispersions on our teams and leagues. This is especially true for the PFL.... Even when we win games against traditional conference teams, we still get no respect.... Frankly, I find your comment offensive, unwarranted, and a direct reflection on your personal level of "class" Ever hear of that glass houses thing?

Once again, DetroitFlyer has hijacked another non-PFL related thread to talk about U of Dayton. Amazingly, for as poorly as Lehigh played (4 INTs, 3 bothced FGs, etc) and as well as Fordham played (strong D, good O), Lehigh still had a chance to win with a couple of minutes left. We Lehigh folks are a demanding bunch so we have found a lot of areas for improvement. Just a couple of better plays and Lehigh may have won, but that is part of the game. However, using a single victory over FU to claim that Dayton would be at the top of the PL is wishful thinking, the same way that I think Mr. DetroitFlyer believes that UDayton is academically close to the PL schools.

Now then, let's move on to Lehigh-Fordham, once again.

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM
OK, let's talk academics.... What program in FCS has produced the most Academic All Americans? I'll give you a hint.... The program is not in the so academically gifted Patriot League or the Ivy League!!

LUHawker
October 9th, 2007, 10:31 AM
OK, let's talk academics.... What program in FCS has produced the most Academic All Americans? I'll give you a hint.... The program is not in the so academically gifted Patriot League or the Ivy League!!

Academic All Americans is not the same as academic standing, but good try anyway. xpeacex

DetroitFlyer
October 9th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Well, this is a football board the last I checked. If you want to argue university academic standing, find an academic board and go to town. If you want to know which FCS football program has produced the most Academic All Americans, look no further than Dayton, Ohio my friend.

It sure seems like my little non-scholarship football team can compete with the "mighty and academically gifted" Patriot League on the field and in the classroom. It is a shame that you find that to be embarassing....

And to get back on track, Fordham will be a force to be dealt with the rest of this season and into next year!

LUHawker
October 9th, 2007, 11:06 AM
And to get back on track, Fordham will be a force to be dealt with the rest of this season and into next year!

Now we are getting somewhere. I also think Fordham will be tough the rest of this year and next. Glad to see we're talking Lehigh, Fordham and the PL again.

colorless raider
October 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Please give us the entering class SAT's and GPA's.

crusader11
October 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
DetroitFlyer- it is proposterous for you to argue that the University of Dayton is up to par on an academic level with the Patriot League.

Model Citizen
October 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM
DetroitFlyer- it is proposterous for you to argue that the University of Dayton is up to par on an academic level with the Patriot League.

Here's a rule to live by. If you're going to insult someone's education, don't expose the shortcomings of your own education. That's especially applicable to misspelling the most provocative word in your sentence.

Your name implies you attended Holy Cross. Your SAT score must have been impressive.

danefan
October 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Here's a rule to live by. If you're going to insult someone's education, don't expose the shortcomings of your own education. That's especially applicable to misspelling the most provocative word in your sentence.

Your name implies you attended Holy Cross. Your SAT score must have been impressive.

:D :D xlolx xlolx

crusader11
October 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Oh no, ya got me on the typo. Guess I should have paid closer attention to my keyboarding skills in Elementary School. You are correct with one thing, my SAT score was in fact impressive.

carney2
October 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM
So, Brown guys, you lost a football game. It happens. What in the world did you do to attract all of this gloating no class nonsense from the PFL/NEC tribe?

xnonox xoopsx Enough, already!xoopsx xnonox

letsgopards04
October 9th, 2007, 03:01 PM
The PFL should be relegated to a separate message board with all the other non-auto bid leagues so they have a good cry without hijacking everybody's discussions.

danefan
October 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Hey hey hey....nobody from the NEC hijacked anything and none of the the NEC fans on here have done anything to be considered "no class". Talk about an overgeneralization.

letsgopards04
October 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I apologize. I retract my previous statement. We should put Dayton fans and the rest of the PFL on its own board so they have a good cry.

DetroitFlyer
October 10th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Welcome to our PFL boards.

http://www.geocities.com/lurkingd/

http://pflfan.proboards26.com/index.cgi

Welcome to the Dayton board!

http://www.udpride.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

And we do not cry, we sit around and celebrate our victories over the first place team in the Patriot League! ( LOL )!!

By the way PL fans, Fordham is now predicted to be the champion and AQ from the PL by at least two media members:

http://www.smebroadcasting.com/fcsbrackets.html

So, at this point in the season, at least a few folks other than me think that my Flyers have defeated the likely PL champion! Keep trying, and maybe we'll back your petitions to join the mighty PFL!!!!:D

JoltinJoe
October 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
By the way PL fans, Fordham is now predicted to be the champion and AQ from the PL by at least two media members:

http://www.smebroadcasting.com/fcsbrackets.html

So, at this point in the season, at least a few folks other than me think that my Flyers have defeated the likely PL champion! Keep trying, and maybe we'll back your petitions to join the mighty PFL!!!!:D

I don't think that's a prediction. These guys are simply listing Fordham in their brackets because Fordham is currently the leader in an auto-bid conference.

Please, no predictions. Fordham is a young, talented team which still needs to focus on bringing its best game every week. Fordham has played two excellent games in a row. That's all it has proven so far.

I'd hate to see these kids start thinking they are the best in the PL.

Fordham
October 10th, 2007, 09:18 AM
oh, Joe, who did you lose the bet with to have to put that avatar up?

and, 'yikes', I'll echo Joe's comment that they're simply putting the various league leaders in there and we're only at the top of the PL because we've played one more league game than HC and Lafayette, both of whom we'd rightfully be considered underdogs against right now. Again, I'm definitely expecting a battle this weekend against a very young Hoyas team given how tough they usually play us AND the fact that this game couldn't fit the definition of a 'trap game' better following two huge conference wins and coming right before our trip to Easton. I really, really hope that we're able to run effectively in order to set the tone and control the ball this weekend against what I've read is a young and somewhat small G-town Dline.

Hope the Engineers can take advantage of what appears to be a cocky Yale team. Sports section front page article on Sedalle in today's NY Times, by the way. Talks about his positive attitude while dealing with an absentee father. Just really sounds like a great, great kid - definitely someone you root for.

Also going to be very interesting to see how Lafayette does v. a team that played very close games with both HC and Lehigh already.

Franks Tanks
October 10th, 2007, 09:30 AM

and, 'yikes', I'll echo Joe's comment that they're simply putting the various league leaders in there and we're only at the top of the PL because we've played one more league game than HC and Lafayette, both of whom we'd rightfully be considered underdogs against right now. Again, I'm definitely expecting a battle this weekend against a very young Hoyas team given how tough they usually play us AND the fact that this game couldn't fit the definition of a 'trap game' better following two huge conference wins and coming right before our trip to Easton. I really, really hope that we're able to run effectively in order to set the tone and control the ball this weekend against what I've read is a young and somewhat small G-town Dline.

Hope the Engineers can take advantage of what appears to be a cocky Yale team. Sports section front page article on Sedalle in today's NY Times, by the way. Talks about his positive attitude while dealing with an absentee father. Just really sounds like a great, great kid - definitely someone you root for.

Also going to be very interesting to see how Lafayette does v. a team that played very close games with both HC and Lehigh already.

I agree Fordham is certainly one of the league front runners-- but we have a lot of football to be played. Also Flyer did it ever occur to you that perhaps Dayton was exteremly jacked up for the Fordham game? It was a playup game for you and play down for Fordham-- Fordham may have been looking past while it was your game of the year. One game isnt a hard and fast indicator of conference strength.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on the NY Times article. (I thought he was a finance major, but I could see why they said he was a marketing major xlolx )

It's funny to be vindicated by the NYT, of all publications. After I wrote on my blog that he definitely has the talent to play at the next level, I got plenty of mail asking me if I was kidding. Now the NYT says that the scouts are watching him.

Fordham, are you serious about G'Town giving you a challenge? I cannot see how the Hoyas possibly beat you. If you give up more than 13 points to Georgetown I'd be surprised.

DetroitFlyer
October 10th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Wow, it would have never occured to me that my Flyers were pumped up for the Fordham game.... I know that as a fan that drove the almost 1300 mile round trip to see the game in person, I was not pumped up.... ( LOL ). Of course the Flyers were pumped up. The following week we went to Morehead State and lost.... "Trap game", maybe, but Morehead State is looking like a darn good team....

As for the PFL, we are not as strong top to bottom as the PL, but I will say this, we have three teams receiving votes in the TSN poll! In a normal season, MAYBE one team will receive votes, VERY rarely, two, but three...! It is not just me that is noticing that the PFL is playing some darn good football!

And since this is a "Fordham" thread, TSN says the following:

28 - San Diego

38- Drake

47 - FORDHAM!!

48 - Morehead State

So, according to TSN, the current first place team in the PL would be the third place team in the PFL and only a whisker away from being the fourth place team, AND, they would have lost to a team that I guess we could call the fifth place team.... Kind of interesting way to look at things don't you think....

No Dayton to be seen....xsmhx

And, since I am on a roll, not a single NEC team to be seen....

Franks Tanks
October 10th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Wow, it would have never occured to me that my Flyers were pumped up for the Fordham game.... I know that as a fan that drove the almost 1300 mile round trip to see the game in person, I was not pumped up.... ( LOL ). Of course the Flyers were pumped up. The following week we went to Morehead State and lost.... "Trap game", maybe, but Morehead State is looking like a darn good team....

As for the PFL, we are not as strong top to bottom as the PL, but I will say this, we have three teams receiving votes in the TSN poll! In a normal season, MAYBE one team will receive votes, VERY rarely, two, but three...! It is not just me that is noticing that the PFL is playing some darn good football!

And since this is a "Fordham" thread, TSN says the following:

28 - San Diego

38- Drake

47 - FORDHAM!!

48 - Morehead State

So, according to TSN, the current first place team in the PL would be the third place team in the PFL and only a whisker away from being the fourth place team, AND, they would have lost to a team that I guess we could call the fifth place team.... Kind of interesting way to look at things don't you think....

No Dayton to be seen....xsmhx

And, since I am on a roll, not a single NEC team to be seen....

Ranking in FCS, especially mid-season, are worthless. We have a playoff and it gets decided on the field. Dayton has a good team congrats, but Fordham isnt the clear cut best team in the PL as you continue to assert. They may be, but it is impossible to say with certainity at this point.

Fordham
October 10th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Fordham, are you serious about G'Town giving you a challenge? I cannot see how the Hoyas possibly beat you. If you give up more than 13 points to Georgetown I'd be surprised. Absolutely serious, LFN. Look, I know we're the favorites and possibly even considerable ones. As I stated above, though, G-town always plays us tough AND this is the classic trap game. Throw in how many frosh and sophs we play AND just look at our record last year and we haven't established ourselves as consistent enough 'winners' yet to be able to overlook anyone. Don't get me wrong, I'm picking us to win and if we come out to play, there's no doubt we should. We just haven't seen enough of the team yet to know that they've learned how to play tough every single week.

Along those lines, I'm going to be very interested to see how Yale comes out this week v. you guys. That flippant quote about one of their TD's last week really didn't sound like a mature team to me. I hope you catch them with their noses in the air and their inflated heads in the sky and turn your season around by teaching them a lesson.

Further, just take a look at Monday's Bills-Cowboys game to see how quickly any expected blow out can turn into a battle.

LBPop
October 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM
G-town always plays us tough AND this is the classic trap game.

With the way this season has gone for the Hoyas, that one factor gives us a glimmer of hope...but just a glimmer. The talent level in DC is simply not as inferior as the level of play this season, but there's no way of knowing if that trend can or will change. I expect the same loyal core of Georgetown fans to cheer for their guys this Saturday and if these Hoyas can just throw their fans a bone by starting strong, it could get kind of loud in that little stadium. We're all starving for a reason to shout and we would love to release 6 weeks of frustration on someone...why not Fordham?

flyenhigh
October 10th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Some members on this board are so hard headed that it amazes me each time I read a discussion. Simply stated you guys are starting to get nervous that the gap between the top mid majors and regular 1AA teams are diminishing. PFL and NEC are beating good full blown 1AA teams.

It is good to be a hard "core" fan but come on where is the respect? By the way I would watch the academic talk bc frankly some PFL schools are more similar than you would think vs the Patriot L. I better get back to bagging groceries.

HARD HEADED FOOLS xnonox

colgate13
October 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Some of us aren't so much fools. I think much of FCS football is on par with each other. The NEC is very much there. I don't know much about the PFL, but to think they aren't on par with us is silly.

DetroitFlyer
October 11th, 2007, 07:43 AM
What possible basis do you have to say the NEC is "there" other than your own personal bias? ( I gather that you did not bother to follow the results of the Gridiron Classic last year )? We always hear about that "East Coast Bias" here in the Midwest, and boy does it play out in your world!

Let me refresh your memory a bit....

9/22/07 in the Bronx.... Dayton 31 Fordham 24

9/29/07 in some place called Hamilton, NY, ( huh? ), Fordham 34 Colgate 31

Oh and let's see what the current PL standings say....

2007 STANDINGS

TEAM PLPCTOVERALLPCT
Fordham 2-01.0004-2.667
Lafayette 1-01.0004-1.800
Holy Cross 1-01.0003-2.600
Colgate 1-1.5003-2.600
Lehigh 0-1.0003-2.600
Bucknell 0-1.0002-4.333
Georgetown 0-2.000

Hmmmmmmmm.... Who is that team in first place in the Patriot League...? You mean that is the team that defeated Colgate, ( on your home field ), and LOST to Dayton? Well, what do you know....

Yeah, the PFL is no where near as good as the PL....xcoolx

Do some research and work to get beyond your little world on the East Coast!

Top to bottom, the PL is still more solid than the PFL, but San Diego of the PFL would EASILY win the PL, Drake would seriously contend, as would Dayton and Morehead State. Where the Patriot League has Georgetown, the PFL has Butler, Valparaiso, Jacksonville. Davidson is probably on a par with Georgetown. Butler, Valparaiso and Jacksonville are all working hard to improve their programs. In fact, anyone of them has the potential to pull an upset in the PFL this year! As a league, the PFL is not as strong as the PL, but the top four teams in the PFL just might be better than the first place team in the PL....

And for the record, I have been a fan of Colgate since I was a little kid growing up in Harrisburg, PA. I was a big football fan as a lad, and I always watched the scores at halftime of whatever game was on TV that week. I remember thinking it was cool for a school to be named after a toothpaste, so I started to follow Colgate each week. To this day, I always notice the Colgate scores on TV, the Internet or the paper.... ( TRUE STORY )!!:D

JoltinJoe
October 11th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I better get back to bagging groceries.

xlolx xbowx

Franks Tanks
October 11th, 2007, 07:56 AM
What possible basis do you have to say the NEC is "there" other than your own personal bias? ( I gather that you did not bother to follow the results of the Gridiron Classic last year )? We always hear about that "East Coast Bias" here in the Midwest, and boy does it play out in your world!

Let me refresh your memory a bit....

9/22/07 in the Bronx.... Dayton 31 Fordham 24

9/29/07 in some place called Hamilton, NY, ( huh? ), Fordham 34 Colgate 31

Oh and let's see what the current PL standings say....

2007 STANDINGS

TEAM PLPCTOVERALLPCT
Fordham 2-01.0004-2.667
Lafayette 1-01.0004-1.800
Holy Cross 1-01.0003-2.600
Colgate 1-1.5003-2.600
Lehigh 0-1.0003-2.600
Bucknell 0-1.0002-4.333
Georgetown 0-2.000

Hmmmmmmmm.... Who is that team in first place in the Patriot League...? You mean that is the team that defeated Colgate, ( on your home field ), and LOST to Dayton? Well, what do you know....

Yeah, the PFL is no where near as good as the PL....xcoolx

Do some research and work to get beyond your little world on the East Coast!

Top to bottom, the PL is still more solid than the PFL, but San Diego of the PFL would EASILY win the PL, Drake would seriously contend, as would Dayton and Morehead State. Where the Patriot League has Georgetown, the PFL has Butler, Valparaiso, Jacksonville. Davidson is probably on a par with Georgetown. Butler, Valparaiso and Jacksonville are all working hard to improve their programs. In fact, anyone of them has the potential to pull an upset in the PFL this year! As a league, the PFL is not as strong as the PL, but the top four teams in the PFL just might be better than the first place team in the PL....

And for the record, I have been a fan of Colgate since I was a little kid growing up in Harrisburg, PA. I was a big football fan as a lad, and I always watched the scores at halftime of whatever game was on TV that week. I remember thinking it was cool for a school to be named after a toothpaste, so I started to follow Colgate each week. To this day, I always notice the Colgate scores on TV, the Internet or the paper.... ( TRUE STORY )!!:D

Lafayette and Holy Cross are also undefeated in league play and most likely better than Fordham. If Fordham wins the league I will be the first to congratulate Dayton for toppling the Patriot best, but until then shut -up nobody is buying your faulty logic.

DetroitFlyer
October 11th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Frankly, Frank, I do not really care if you are buying my logic or not.... What you call "logic", is simply FACT to this point in the season. Here is a free tip on interpersonal communication for a Patriot Leaguer, ( I'm assuming that you actually graduated from college )....xcoolx Apparently, "communication" is not offered in the "vaunted and academically gifted" Patriot League. LOL!! Telling someone to "shutup" is an open invitation for confrontation. It will put the target of you comment on the defensive and most likely, you will obtain the exact opposite of what you desire. Glad to have been of service filling in the gaps in your "education".xnodx

Franks Tanks
October 11th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Frankly, Frank, I do not really care if you are buying my logic or not.... What you call "logic", is simply FACT to this point in the season. Here is a free tip on interpersonal communication for a Patriot Leaguer, ( I'm assuming that you actually graduated from college )....xcoolx Apparently, "communication" is not offered in the "vaunted and academically gifted" Patriot League. LOL!! Telling someone to "shutup" is an open invitation for confrontation. It will put the target of you comment on the defensive and most likely, you will obtain the exact opposite of what you desire. Glad to have been of service filling in the gaps in your "education".xnodx

You should care if I am buying your logic as I am one of the intended audience of who you are attempting to persuade. Otherwise you continued arguement is pointless. Also the point of my prior post was made, to create confromtation xlolx. Fordham has played 2 league games and had a worse overall record than Lafayette. If Lafayette better than Fordham? I have no idea we will find out soon enough. My point is your argument is faulty as the whole season hasnt played out. The line of logic you are using is the same as this. Michigan was the highest ranked team in the Big 10 at one point this year. App State beat Michigan and therefore App would be the best team in the Big 10. This is the crux of your point and its faulty.

Franks Tanks
October 11th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Also Flyer I have been a defender of the NEC and PFL on this board many times. I have no ax to grind againt you or these leagues, I am pointing out a flawed arguement.

Fordham
October 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM
DF, check gate13's quote again - he was pretty much making your point, particularly if you read his last line again. The NEC quote, I'm pretty sure, was simply him saying that he's actually seen a few Colgate-NEC games, tip-to-tail, and therefore can comment with the certainty that comes with having watched entire games as opposed to just seeing final scores and reading follow-up posts by fans in here, as he's done w/PFL matchups. Again, read the last line since he's arguing that you guys actually are on par.

And I'm absolutely with gate13 on this and it's pretty clear what the reason why is - we've lost to both. Once that happens, particularly more than once, you tend to have an epiphany or paradigm shift or whatever. So, I hope that my PL brothers on here don't have the same 'forced' epiphany like we did (mine came after our shellacking at the hands of Albany two years back). I can also tell you guys that in the games I've seen thus far in person (Albany, Columbia, Lehigh), Albany was clearly the most physical of the group on both sides of the ball. Unfortunately for DF, the downpour with Dayton meant I had my younguns under the tent until the 4Q where I pretty much saw us dominate that quarter to tie it up before they beat us on the bomb to take the lead again. I can tell you, though, that no one I spoke to who saw the first 3 quarters said that Dayton got lucky to win, etc. If anything, we got some breaks (created some of them) that allowed us to sneak back in the 4Q. Point being, that there wasn't a feeling after the game from the fans who had seen them play, that Dayton was in any way inferior to us. If anything, I heard people complaining that we didn't schedule a patsy to play for homecoming when the more casual fan who only makes it back for a game or two per year would have seen a convincing victory. Long-short, imo, throw the top NEC/PFL teams on your skid and expect a battle.

In terms of this thread, I think there are two things going on. One is that many PL fans are speaking to or about NEC/PFL programs & fans the same way that CAA and other scholarship conferences often refer to the PL. It's always maddening when so much disrespect is shown and I think DF and others are responding in a similar way that we all feel when we're spoken to in the same fashion by the scholly conferences.

The other thing, though, is simply that this was a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with the PFL, yet much of it turned into a "dump-on" or "praise" the PFL discussion, instead of a PL review. I think the thread hijacking brought out stronger anti-PFL comments since the perception is that many threads to turn into that and it can be exhausting. Much of that blame comes from the lack of class exhibited by San Diego fans last year, imo. For what it's worth, DF has spent alot of time on our board and has been a great poster (maybe it's easy to be magnanimous when you win?), so with that experience I definitely put him the category of a guy who is simply frustrated at being spoken of in a way that the other conferences speak of us. That said, hopefully this discussion can just be carried on in a different thread or at least hopefully future "PL threads" won't turn into a PL v. PFL discussion as the season progresses.

Along those lines, and in effort to move this thread back to the PL, I'm dying to see the results of the Laffy-Hahvahd game this weekend, given the common opponents (Lafayette fans - what are you expecting?) and also just hoping that a seemingly cocky Yale squad gets knocked back down to size by a Lehigh squad looking to right their ship.

letsgopards04
October 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Frank you are taking a hammering from Flyer. I was trying to be an ass to the guy because he comes on all the time talking smack about the PFL and NEC (which I am sure plays very good football--I am just not that familiar outside of SUNY-Albany). I seemed to have opened a can of worms.

Franks Tanks
October 11th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Frank you are taking a hammering from Flyer. I was trying to be an ass to the guy because he comes on all the time talking smack about the PFL and NEC (which I am sure plays very good football--I am just not that familiar outside of SUNY-Albany). I seemed to have opened a can of worms.

xlolx How I am taking a hammering from Flyer? I have been supportive of the NEC and PFL. In my PL picks I picked Albany to beat Colgate and Fordham earlier in the season, does that sound like someone who doesnt understand that the PFL and NEC have good teams? He is overstepping to assert that Dayton would without a doubt be the best team in the Patriot, that is all.

letsgopards04
October 11th, 2007, 09:03 AM
His overstepping is what I am referring to. He is relentless with his flawed logic.

Franks Tanks
October 11th, 2007, 09:09 AM
His overstepping is what I am referring to. He is relentless with his flawed logic.

Ok, now I am following

colgate13
October 11th, 2007, 09:36 AM
DetriotFlyer - yes, you missed the intent of my post! Fordham rebutted accurately. I was trying say I've seen the NEC and think it's even-steven. I haven't seen the PFL but to say it's not even-steven is silly.

It's OK. I know it's easy to get defensive around here. In reality, the PL should be supporting the growth and competitiveness of the PFL and NEC because it helps us all out. PL fans need to remember, we're still very much a red-headed stepchild to the rest of the FCS. The other conferences tolerate us only so much as we win a playoff game or two. They will be calling for our autobid and calling us inferior if we don't win again soon - if they aren't already calling for it already.

Nonscholarship football in FCS can and is already quite good in many areas. I'm glad to see the Daytons of the world show us what they can do. Don't look down upon them. We should be on their side, even if they do beat us. It will help the PL in the long run.

DetroitFlyer
October 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah, I get a bit defensive relative to my Flyers and the PFL. The crowd at AGS is not exactly PFL friendly, and many firmly believe that we should be booted out of FCS at all costs.... ( see the proposal by the OVC relative to minimum funding ). There are even folks here that would rather see the likes of Dayton or Drake, teams with over a hundred years of football history each, drop football completely if we do not wish to conform to their "vision" of FCS football, ( generally providing 63 scholarships / equivalents ).

The truth is that nobody should be a "red headed step child" in the world of FCS.... The rules are the rules, EVERY team in FCS complies, end of story.... Fix the lack of playoff access for some conferences and all will be well with the world....

I hope that my Flyers continue to work to schedule PL teams. It sure seems like a series with Georgetown would be ideal.... We play Fordham at least two more times. Next year in Dayton and the following year back in the Bronx. I'm already worried about next year's game. Our QB, Kevin Hoyng will graduate and Fordham will have a much more experienced and probably deeper team.... At least the drive to Dayton is a bit shorter than the drive to the Bronx!

Franks Tanks
October 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I get a bit defensive relative to my Flyers and the PFL. The crowd at AGS is not exactly PFL friendly, and many firmly believe that we should be booted out of FCS at all costs.... ( see the proposal by the OVC relative to minimum funding ). There are even folks here that would rather see the likes of Dayton or Drake, teams with over a hundred years of football history each, drop football completely if we do not wish to conform to their "vision" of FCS football, ( generally providing 63 scholarships / equivalents ).

The truth is that nobody should be a "red headed step child" in the world of FCS.... The rules are the rules, EVERY team in FCS complies, end of story.... Fix the lack of playoff access for some conferences and all will be well with the world....

I hope that my Flyers continue to work to schedule PL teams. It sure seems like a series with Georgetown would be ideal.... We play Fordham at least two more times. Next year in Dayton and the following year back in the Bronx. I'm already worried about next year's game. Our QB, Kevin Hoyng will graduate and Fordham will have a much more experienced and probably deeper team.... At least the drive to Dayton is a bit shorter than the drive to the Bronx!

Yes! I would love to see the PFL and NEC in the Playoffs--just not sure how we can do this logistically without putting the PL auto in Jeopardy xbawlingx.

colgate13
October 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Another week of playoffs with top teams getting a bye. That's how.

Franks Tanks
October 11th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Another week of playoffs with top teams getting a bye. That's how.

Well of course that will work--but I meant not sure if enough support can be created for such changes. I just hope it doesnt resort to a play in game scenario like hoops.

carney2
October 11th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Well of course that will work--but I meant not sure if enough support can be created for such changes. I just hope it doesnt resort to a play in game scenario like hoops.

Lafayette AD, Bruce McCutcheon, is on an NCAA committee that is considering all of this. His next meeting requires him to be on a plane November 17th, which has him p_s_ed. My impression is that all of this is closer than you might think (2008?), and the need for more auto-bids is the driving force.