PDA

View Full Version : D2/NAIA/D3 over FCS Scalped Watch 2022 Edition

CHIP72
May 15th, 2022, 08:45 AM
Inspired by the "FCS over FBS Scalp Watch 2022 Edition" thread, I figured there should also be a thread dedicated to games focused on FCS teams playing lower NCAA division (mostly D2) and non-NCAA opponents. Obviously seeing FCS teams lose to lower level teams is not something many people on this message board want to see (unlike the FCS over FBS upsets), but those games are still worth monitoring.

As of this writing there are 47 FCS vs non-D1 games scheduled in 2022, with the possibility of more games being added. The breakdown by division is as follows:

*28 FCS vs D2 games
*10 FCS vs NAIA games
*8 FCS vs NCCAA games (all involving Virginia-Lynchburg)
*1 FCS vs D3 game

More information can be found at the following website:

FCS vs. Non-D1 Games in 2022 (https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2022-non-counter-games-bzbz/)

The same website (Hero Sports) provided the list of 2022 FCS vs FBS games discussed in the thread mentioned above.

Baron Sardonicus
May 15th, 2022, 08:46 PM
Indiana Wesleyan is the best team you've never heard of...maybe better than Dartmouth, judging from video I saw of Valpo games last fall.

Missouri S&T is nothing special, but they might take down Drake. Following a beatdown by NDSU, a Drake loss to the Miners would be a different kind of pain. MST, by the way, is rumored to have changed its name because Dartmouth grads couldn't pronounce Rolla.

bonarae
May 15th, 2022, 09:45 PM
Indiana Wesleyan is the best team you've never heard of...maybe better than Dartmouth, judging from video I saw of Valpo games last fall.

But are they the same level as Morningside, Grand View or St. Xavier? Not quite there yet. In the last NAIA poll last year, they were ranked #17, down from #5 the previous time as they lost in the first round.

Go Green
May 16th, 2022, 12:26 PM

We did not play well against Valpo last September. You could see it in the guys' faces walking off the field after the game-- "Man, we're BETTER than what we just showed..."

Baron Sardonicus
May 16th, 2022, 01:02 PM
We did not play well against Valpo last September. You could see it in the guys' faces walking off the field after the game-- "Man, we're BETTER than what we just showed..."

Valpo was DEFINITELY better than they showed in that game. Their leader was the quarterback, Nimz. He took them to a win over USD the previous spring, but got hurt again and saw little time early in the fall '21 schedule. His replacement had very limited ability.

NY Crusader 2010
May 16th, 2022, 02:31 PM
Well, Valpo gets another shot at Dartmouth in Hanover on September 17th. Will be Valpo's 3rd game and I'm assuming Dartmouth's first, which is typically how it goes for the Ivies.

NY Crusader 2010
May 16th, 2022, 02:33 PM

Maybe because at that point they hadn't played a live game since beating Princeton at Yankee Stadium in November 2019?

Valparaiso did have a pulse last year, going 4-4 in the PFL.

Baron Sardonicus
May 16th, 2022, 02:51 PM
Well, Valpo gets another shot at Dartmouth in Hanover on September 17th. Will be Valpo's 3rd game and I'm assuming Dartmouth's first, which is typically how it goes for the Ivies.

Are you saying that Dartmouth won't scrimmage anyone this fall? You know the NCAA counts those against the 11-game schedule limit, don't you? Even if it's a controlled scrimmage. Even if they don't put it on the official schedule or issue a press release about it.

Baron Sardonicus
May 16th, 2022, 02:56 PM
Nimz portaled himself. Robert Washington is gone.

I see Valparaiso taking a step back.

NY Crusader 2010
May 16th, 2022, 06:07 PM
Are you saying that Dartmouth won't scrimmage anyone this fall? You know the NCAA counts those against the 11-game schedule limit, don't you? Even if it's a controlled scrimmage. Even if they don't put it on the official schedule or issue a press release about it.

In the last 15 years, I have not heard of an Ivy, or any other DI football team, playing a VARSITY scrimmage. Especially since a number of the Ivy schools, including Dartmouth, have gone so far as banning tackling in practice. I believe the Ivies might still play JV games on Sundays against other Ivies within day-trip driving range. When I was at Holy Cross, we used to play JV games against Harvard, Brown, Bridgton Academy (a prep school in Maine) and Assumption -- underclassmen who didn't play on Saturday would participate in this game the following day. These went away when we went scholarship and the roster sizes were reduced. For all I know, the Ivies still play these games.

bonarae
May 16th, 2022, 06:22 PM
In the last 15 years, I have not heard of an Ivy, or any other DI football team, playing a VARSITY scrimmage. Especially since a number of the Ivy schools, including Dartmouth, have gone so far as banning tackling in practice. I believe the Ivies might still play JV games on Sundays against other Ivies within day-trip driving range. When I was at Holy Cross, we used to play JV games against Harvard, Brown, Bridgton Academy (a prep school in Maine) and Assumption -- underclassmen who didn't play on Saturday would participate in this game the following day. These went away when we went scholarship and the roster sizes were reduced. For all I know, the Ivies still play these games.

And I'm afraid they still play them to this day. These need to go away outright for us to progress, football-wise. xbawlingx

Baron Sardonicus
May 16th, 2022, 06:34 PM
The Ivies go to great lengths to hide these, but occasionally something shows up in a school newspaper: https://cornellsun.com/2007/08/27/football-makes-gains-in-i-c-scrimmage/

I'd guess they still play them. Regarding Dartmouth, I'll let one of its fans deny they play an annual Aug/Sep scrimmage. Except that's what they do, and it's not a jv game.

NY Crusader 2010
May 16th, 2022, 07:01 PM
The Ivies go to great lengths to hide these, but occasionally something shows up in a school newspaper: https://cornellsun.com/2007/08/27/football-makes-gains-in-i-c-scrimmage/

I'd guess they still play them. Regarding Dartmouth, I'll let one of its fans deny they play an annual Aug/Sep scrimmage. Except that's what they do, and it's not a jv game.

Interesting stuff Baron. Perhaps the schools "hide" them because they are taking place against lower division schools. And because they don't want their initial DI opponents to have any film. But I have to say, even when I was "in the loop", I never heard rumblings of a varsity scrimmage between Harvard and Tufts for example, or Brown and Bryant (they were DII back then). I have my doubts that these games still take place now, again, due to Ivy schools enforcing strict no-tackling rules during practice during the last 5 years.

I actually found some official press releases from Dartmouth on their JV game results. Doesn't seem like any have been posted since 2018. Here's one of them --

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/2018/10/7/jv-hands-franklin-pierce-53-0-defeat.aspx

Baron Sardonicus
May 16th, 2022, 07:42 PM
Seems Ivy v. Ivy scrimmages have been most common.

Could the Ivies make the obvious adjustment and transform scrimmage week into the start of an 11-game season?

I'm thinking that while it might be easy to swap a practice game for an official game (Marist, anyone?), even one Ivy starting classes late could make an 11-game slate impossible.

bonarae
May 16th, 2022, 08:04 PM
Seems Ivy v. Ivy scrimmages have been most common.

Could the Ivies make the obvious adjustment and transform scrimmage week into the start of an 11-game season?

I'm thinking that while it might be easy to swap a practice game for an official game (Marist, anyone?), even one Ivy starting classes late could make an 11-game slate impossible.

True. xsmhx

CHIP72
August 31st, 2022, 05:58 PM
Just bumping this thread up now that the season is about start.

CHIP72
August 31st, 2022, 06:10 PM
I'll note at least one Week 1 DI-AA/FCS vs D2 matchup is not included in the link in Post #1; Stonehill, who just moved up from D2 this season and joined the NEC (similar to Long Island and Merrimack in recent years, both of whom, like Stonehill, were previously in the D2 NE-10 Conference), will play at Bloomsburg in Week 1. It is the second half of a home-and-home between the two teams, and because Bloomsburg was the road team last season, they'll have the rare opportunity as a D2 team to host a DI-AA/FCS team.

bonarae
September 4th, 2022, 01:02 AM
Near-misses still abound in Week 1 of 2022.

Valpo over Indiana Wesleyan 20-17
Stonehill over Bloomsburg in 2 OTs 33-30
Butler over St. Thomas Florida 31-26
Alabama State over Miles College 21-13
UAPB over Lane College 48-42

NY Crusader 2010
September 4th, 2022, 06:32 AM
That's actually a very solid road win for Stonehill....assuming Bloomsburg is a strong PSAC team per usual.

CHIP72
September 4th, 2022, 01:52 PM
That's actually a very solid road win for Stonehill....assuming Bloomsburg is a strong PSAC team per usual.

Bloomsburg has actually been down the last 4-5 years and wasn't particularly good last year. While still in D2 last year, Stonehill won much more easily last year at home against the Huskies.

97Torero
September 4th, 2022, 02:56 PM
San Diego beat D3 Laverne 58-0, holding them to less than 100 yards of offense. QB play was not great. Will need to improve as they head into Big Sky play.

Baron Sardonicus
September 4th, 2022, 04:43 PM
Valpo may be ok after all. They got the win over Indiana Wesleyan, with help from a NEC transfer running back and good defense. Injuries are a concern, but the Beacons have some depth.

bonarae
September 10th, 2022, 06:21 PM
D-II Missouri S&T beats Drake 17-14.

CHIP72
September 17th, 2022, 08:48 PM
It wasn't a big surprise, but Delta State knocked off Mississippi Valley State 28-17 to claim another D2 over DI-AA/FCS scalp.

mvfcfan
October 1st, 2022, 05:42 PM
Lane just beat Tennessee State 28-27 in OT. It was 20-20 going into OT, so Lane apparently went for 2 and got it. Not sure what division Lane is in, but obviously they are not D1.

Libertine
October 1st, 2022, 08:01 PM
Lane just beat Tennessee State 28-27 in OT. It was 20-20 going into OT, so Lane apparently went for 2 and got it. Not sure what division Lane is in, but obviously they are not D1.

D2 in the SIAC conference. Congrats to the Lane Dragons.

As for TSU, Exhibit #572 as to why just hiring a famous ex-NFL player with no coaching experience as your HC rarely works out.

NY Crusader 2010
October 1st, 2022, 11:10 PM
D2 in the SIAC conference. Congrats to the Lane Dragons.

As for TSU, Exhibit #572 as to why just hiring a famous ex-NFL player with no coaching experience as your HC rarely works out.

At least he got them a game at Notre Dame.

Libertine
October 1st, 2022, 11:34 PM
At least he got them a game at Notre Dame.

Yeeaaah, I don't know how much Eddie George had to do with booking ND.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2022/04/06/eddie-george-marcus-freeman-how-2023-tennessee-state-notre-dame-game-came/9477664002/

George also said he was taken aback when he learned Notre Dame had reached out to TSU about playing the game and that school president Glenda Glover and athletics director Mikki Allen had jumped at the opportunity...."When I got wind we were playing Notre Dame I was like, 'Oh my gosh,' " George said.

And, rather ironically in light of today's result, from the same article:

Earlier, however, George had talked about the vast gap that exists between TSU and Notre Dame. He said the Tigers, who went 5-6 in his first season, must first become competitive with some of the nation's top FCS programs before hoping to challenge an iconic football team like Notre Dame.

For perspective, Lane is typically a .500-ish D2 team.