PDA

View Full Version : Portland St - WAC Talk?

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2007, 02:49 PM
WAC for Portland St?

Pigskin Pete: New PSU AD Looks Beyond Big Sky

By Fred Delkin
Marketing Budget Doubled

The PSU administration has given Chisholm twice the budget he inherited. He and his associates have added 18 new corporate sponsors for football promotion. "Our goal for this season is to average 12,000 fans per home game," Chisholm states, "and we want to create an exciting, event
atmosphere at our games." We've seen some of this already, along with a greater influx of student fans.

Winning, Chisholm admits, is the bottom line for putting fans in the stands. The Vikings now have the coaching credentials to build a winner, and may even dominate the Big Sky in 2007. Then, what's next? Chisholm foresees a move up to the Western Athletic Conference in the Viking future. The WAC now numbers nine members (Hawaii, Boise State, Fresno St , San
Jose State, Nevada, Idaho, Utah St., New Mexico St., Louisiana Tech). The last three are in small markets. Conference administrators are well aware of the value of population centers to generate television revenue.

http://oregonmag.com/PigPete1007.html

AZGrizFan
October 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM
WAC for Portland St?

By Fred Delkin
Marketing Budget Doubled

The PSU administration has given Chisholm twice the budget he inherited. He and his associates have added 18 new corporate sponsors for football promotion. "Our goal for this season is to average 12,000 fans per home game," Chisholm states, "and we want to create an exciting, event
atmosphere at our games." We've seen some of this already, along with a greater influx of student fans.

Winning, Chisholm admits, is the bottom line for putting fans in the stands. The Vikings now have the coaching credentials to build a winner, and may even dominate the Big Sky in 2007. Then, what's next? Chisholm foresees a move up to the Western Athletic Conference in the Viking future. The WAC now numbers nine members (Hawaii, Boise State, Fresno St , San
Jose State, Nevada, Idaho, Utah St., New Mexico St., Louisiana Tech). The last three are in small markets. Conference administrators are well aware of the value of population centers to generate television revenue.

Boy, if that ain't BS. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JALMOND
October 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM
WAC for Portland St?

By Fred Delkin
Marketing Budget Doubled

New AD---PSU will dominate the Big Sky and move to the WAC.
Glanville shortly after he's hired---PSU will be in the WAC before he leaves.
When we moved into the FCS (I-AA at the time)---This is just a stepping stone until we get the support and facilities to move to full DI and the WAC.

Not that I've heard this all before. But eleven years later we are still in the Big Sky and far from "dominating" the conference in any sport. Yes Portland the city has more in common with Fresno the city and Boise the city than Bozeman or Odgen, but the Big Sky is still the best place for a finacially strapped university like PSU. The WAC stretched from Hawaii to Louisiana in all sports whereas the Big Sky goes from the west coast to the Front Range. Our facilities still lag behind those in the Big Sky, let alone those in the WAC. Talk like this always comes up, it is inevitable in Portland with those "uneducated" about Big Sky athletics. Supposedly, those people who spend Saturday watching the Ducks and Beavers have told PSU athletics that they would support the Vikings if they were to move to the WAC. But none of those people have offered to help financially (hello, Phil Knight!). It's good to have a plan, and I do see us in the WAC eventually, but I don't see it happening for another 10-15 years.

A sidenote to this and this is just rumor (and has been made into a joke around Portland): Glanville went up to the now former AD and said "PSU will be in the WAC. I guarantee it!", and the former AD said "Just beat Montana in Missoula and we'll talk."

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I stopped reading after I got to this part of the article.

Winning, Chisholm admits, is the bottom line for putting fans in the stands. The Vikings now have the coaching credentials to build a winner, and may even dominate the Big Sky in 2007.

Ahh you better start winning first xcoffeex

griz8791
October 5th, 2007, 04:30 PM
. . . Conference administrators are well aware of the value of population centers to generate television revenue.

Uh huh. That theory has worked out FABULOUSLY for the Big Sky. xmadx

Grizaholic17
October 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM
That is bogus. If Portland State moves up before the Griz (which the griz probably never will), then I am officially going to be P.Oed. It was the same with Boise State, why did they move up? They were that dominating, we beat them alot. UGH!

brownbear
October 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM
That is bogus. If Portland State moves up before the Griz (which the griz probably never will), then I am officially going to be P.Oed. It was the same with Boise State, why did they move up? They were that dominating, we beat them alot. UGH!

Boise State regrets the move up every day!

brownbear
October 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM
In the article, it said Portland State averages 12,000 fans a game.

Don't you need 15,000 in FBS?

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM

I am usually pretty critical of mediocre FCS schools moving to FBS, but Montana isnt mediocre. I do have to say it makes perfect sense, if it works financially, for say Montana and NDSU to move to FBS. You are both the main public institutions in your state, and both of you can certainly compete at that level.

Casey_Orourke
October 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM
WAC for Portland St?

By Fred Delkin
Marketing Budget Doubled

There was a similar article in the San Antonio newspaper on UTSA starting a football program, joining the Southland conference for a few years, then moving up to the FBS level. They have about as much a chance of doing that as PSU does of joining the WAC in the near future.

TexasTerror
October 5th, 2007, 07:19 PM
There was a similar article in the San Antonio newspaper on UTSA starting a football program, joining the Southland conference for a few years, then moving up to the FBS level. They have about as much a chance of doing that as PSU does of joining the WAC in the near future.

Not sure about that...

UTSA has a better shot than Portland State and I'd say, a better shot that Texas State - San Marcos, which continually talks about an FBS move. We'll see...

Dallas Demon
October 5th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Anybody in a major population center has a shot. South Florida has shown that this is possible. Leagues want money, and money comes from the larger population centers - not the rural ones.

Fresno St. Alum
October 5th, 2007, 11:04 PM
UTSA would have a 65,000 seat stadium. That puts them way up on PSU

WAC wants it like this if it wanted anyone (If someone else left add Montana St. as a co#1)
1.Montana
2.UC Davis
3.Portland St.
4.Sacramento St.

GOKATS
October 5th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Boise ST. and Idaho both had proven themselves highly successful at the I-AA level in FB and D-I in mens and womens BB before they made the jump. The Boise St. move has proved successful, Idaho is a flop.

PSU, has not shown themselves to be a serious contender at any of the above. Portland may be a city, but PSU, if they join the WAC, will be a bigger dud than Idaho.

IaaScribe
October 5th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah, Boise regrets its move. It was only involved in one of the greatest bowl games in college football. Surely, they would have enjoyed the same notoriety had they played App State on a Friday night in mid-December when no one was watching.

(NOTE: If the Boise post was made in sarcasm, I apologize.)

JALMOND
October 6th, 2007, 01:44 AM
The truth of the matter is this, the WAC talk has been going on ever since we joined I-AA, yet we have never had the resources to upgrade our facilities to even the Big Sky level, let alone the WAC. A couple years ago when we scared Boise at Boise, the writeup in the paper barely received any notice from the Beavers and Ducks. The travel costs in a conference stretching from Hawaii to Louisana would be astronomical and would impact our already tight athletic budget, not to mention setting up "money" games against our former Big Sky opponents. Portland is a "Duck" town, not even the Beavers have cut into the support this city gives to the U of O. What makes us think we would have instant support from this city if we were in the WAC? No one rushes down to Sacramento to see us play there, what makes us think they would go to Fresno?

Walsh and the previous administration wanted this to be a stepping stone for the WAC, then they saw the type of football played at this level and in this conference. They saw the support fans gave their teams in Bozeman and Missoula and realized that they needed to work on that. They found out that this is no bush league, small college, Linfield type conference and classification. When others would bring up the topic, Walsh would stay mum on it, knowing that Portland State had a long way to go. Glanville and the new administration will see it too, if not this year then next year. The topic will always be discussed by fans, yet PSU is in no position to go anywhere outside the Big Sky, for a long time.

appfan2008
October 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM
In the article, it said Portland State averages 12,000 fans a game.

Don't you need 15,000 in FBS?

it said they want to average 12k which means they dont yet... which is not very good

appfan2008
October 6th, 2007, 08:37 AM
by the way if you are not very good at fcs why go fbs???