PDA

View Full Version : Way-too-early 2022 FCS playoff bracket predictions

atthewbon
May 5th, 2022, 07:29 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-05-05/way-too-early-2022-fcs-playoff-bracket-predictions

NCAA.com is finally producing some FCS content. Here is the way too early playoff predictions. I think Kennesaw St could be good this year but the 2 seed seems a little too high.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 5th, 2022, 08:43 PM
I like Holy Cross with the bye. This will easily be the best PL team since 2018 Colgate.....

atthewbon
May 5th, 2022, 09:24 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2022-05-05/way-too-early-2022-fcs-playoff-bracket-predictions

NCAA.com is finally producing some FCS content. Here is the way too early playoff predictions. I think Kennesaw St could be good this year but the 2 seed seems a little too high.

Looking at their schedule if they end up 10-1 with their only loss to Cincy I could see them as the 2 seed.

DFW HOYA
May 5th, 2022, 09:45 PM
I like Holy Cross with the bye. This will easily be the best PL team since 2018 Colgate.....

Hopefully they won't be tagged with the "strength of schedule" issue given what could be poor seasons ahead at Georgetown and Bucknell.

Go...gate
May 6th, 2022, 12:19 AM

Yes. Good for Cross, good for our conference.

FUBeAR
May 6th, 2022, 06:28 AM
Looking at their schedule if they end up 10-1 with their only loss to Cincy I could see them as the 2 seed.
LOL - the owlets start 0-6, finish 2-9. #HootyKnows

OhioHen
May 6th, 2022, 06:34 AM
Interesting that the author puts Richmond in as an at-large but doesn't include them among those as potentially winning the league. Mentions William & Mary as a contender to win the CAA but doesn't include them as an at-large.

Either way, I'm not convinced picking four CAA teams into the field (and two with byes when they play each other in week 12) is solid prognostication.

SFA 93
May 6th, 2022, 07:12 AM
SFA was returning most of the team that made the 2021 playoffs, but now has taken a beaten in the 2022 off season with transfers and coaches leaving

* starter

GONE
DT: RAYSHAD NICHOLS (SR.) (NFL) ALL CONFERENCE *
DT: DENNIS OSAGIEDE (SR.) (TRANSFER PORTAL) 2X ALL CONFERENCE *
DT: CALEB FOX (SO.) FRESHMAN ALL-AMERICAN (TRANSFER TO TCU)
DE: WILLBURN SMALLWOOD (R/FR.) (TRANSFER PORTAL)

LB: BERT MORRIS (SR.) (GRADUATED) *

S: ARETAVIOUS HENDRIX (SR.) (GRADUATED)
S: TREY RAMOS (SR.) GRADUATED

CB: MYLES BROOKS (JR.) (TRANSFER TO LOUISIANA TECH ALL CONFERENCE) *
CB: WILLIE ROBERTS (JR.) (TRANSFER TO LOUISIANA TECH) *
CB: CALEB LAWTON (SR.) GRADUATED

RB: LARRY JONES III (SR.) GRADUATED
RB: DA’LEON WARD (SR.) GRADUATED *
RB: TRE’JON HENDERSON (JR.) (TRANSFER PORTAL)

WR: QUENTYVIAN BORDERS (SR.) (HAD TO GIVE UP FOOTBALL)

OL: ZACH INGRAM (SR.) (GRADUATED) ALL CONFERENCE *
OL: JACOB FARRELL (JR.) GAVE UP FOOTBALL *
OL: KELLEN CULBERSON (R/FR.) (TRANSFER PORTAL)
OL: DREW BEYMER (SR.) HAD TO GIVE UP FOOTBALL
OL: ZACHARY LORD (SR.) GRADUATED

DT COACH: JAMARKUS MCFARLAND TO TCU
DC: SCOTT POWER TO LOUISIANA TECH
CB COACH: MARCUS WALKER TO LOUISIANA TECH
OL COACH: NATHAN YOUNG TO LOUISIANA TECH
WR COACH: MYLES WHITE TO MIAMI (OH.)
DA: MYLES CARELOCK TO LOUISIANA TECH

caribbeanhen
May 6th, 2022, 08:13 AM
Well we know the guy reads Hero Sports.... they already did a” way to early” article

wapiti
May 6th, 2022, 09:49 AM

Kennesaw has an easy OOC and in an easier conference. This guy is going to be excited by Kennesaw's really good win/loss record.

He also has 4 Big Sky teams in one corner of the bracket. That is not going to happen.

NDSU1980
May 6th, 2022, 12:43 PM
SDSU ain't gonna like being on the NDSU side of the bracket.

katss07
May 6th, 2022, 01:24 PM
Holy Cross being seeded would be wild, hasn't happened for a Patriot League team since Colgate in 2018 and before that... Colgate in 2003 (I was a tad surprised to see Fordham never received one in that time frame). I'd imagine they'd have to go 10-1 at worst to be seeded, especially if you think SIU, Missouri State, USD, Sac State, EWU and ETSU are in. If any of those schools get to 9 wins, they're probably seeded before the Crusaders IMO.

I'd love to see Holy Cross do it though. Hosting a second round game against a CAA school. That would be awesome. That JMU/Colgate DiNucci 5 pick game is an all-timer.

Looks like an accurate bracket to me. Another WAC v Southland playoff matchup... I imagine those will be happening often.

lionsrking2
May 6th, 2022, 01:46 PM
Holy Cross being seeded would be wild, hasn't happened for a Patriot League team since Colgate in 2018 and before that... Colgate in 2003 (I was a tad surprised to see Fordham never received one in that time frame). I'd imagine they'd have to go 10-1 at worst to be seeded, especially if you think SIU, Missouri State, USD, Sac State, EWU and ETSU are in. If any of those schools get to 9 wins, they're probably seeded before the Crusaders IMO.

I'd love to see Holy Cross do it though. Hosting a second round game against a CAA school. That would be awesome. That JMU/Colgate DiNucci 5 pick game is an all-timer.

Looks like an accurate bracket to me. Another WAC v Southland playoff matchup... I imagine those will be happening often.

Highly doubtful Holy Cross is a seed.

KnightoftheRedFlash
May 6th, 2022, 03:39 PM
I want to rage against the Duquesne selection but I can't. The 8 road game schedule crafted by the AD will hinder SFU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 6th, 2022, 08:15 PM

Wasn't a seed but Lehigh did receive a bye in 2011 when they went 10-1. Ironically, they went 10-1 the next year and failed to earn an at-large bid.

Holy Cross has a great chance to earn a bye this year imo. There's a very legit chance they're the best team in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic this season. I think they could/would win the CAA in 2022. They'll be that good....

HootyHoo
May 6th, 2022, 08:22 PM
IT IS TIME. LET THE TASK BE UNDERTAKEN.

The Year of the Owl is upon us. All shall bow before the Option Overlord this season. For 7 years we have plotted, schemed, and maneuvered and now KSU sits on the precipice of Greatness.

Consensus Pre-Season All American Xavier Shepherd is the best returning QB in FCS and the Favorite for the Walter Payton award.

I expect the unwashed masses here at AGS to vote KSU as a top 4 team to start the 2022 season. Nothing less will be acceptable. Know your betters peasants.

FUBeAR
May 6th, 2022, 11:04 PM

The Year of the Owl is upon us. All shall bow before the Option Overlord this season. For 7 years we have plotted, schemed, and maneuvered and now KSU sits on the precipice of Greatness.

Consensus Pre-Season All American Xavier Shepherd is the best returning QB in FCS and the Favorite for the Walter Payton award.

I expect the unwashed masses here at AGS to vote KSU as a top 4 team to start the 2022 season. Nothing less will be acceptable. Know your betters peasants.
When he makes his projections, FUBeAR, will consider the owlets for the #4 spot in the ASUN, but FUBeAR struggles to keep up with the new math that the peeps in the ASUN League Office use…

“Six teams (Austin Peay, Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, Kennesaw State, North Alabama) are set to face each other one time throughout the season providing five conference games per squad.” https://asunsports.org/sports/fball/2021-22/releases/20220217j44h9a

….so…who knows, the flying barn rats just may be FUBeAR’s #7 ASUN squad….hard to say.

Daytripper
May 6th, 2022, 11:25 PM
This bracket and playoff talk has me committing to continuing as an AGS poll voter even though I will no longer have a dog in the hunt. It may make me a better voter.

Go...gate
May 6th, 2022, 11:57 PM
I want to rage against the Duquesne selection but I can't. The 8 road game schedule crafted by the AD will hinder SFU.

11 or 12 game schedule?

JSUSoutherner
May 7th, 2022, 07:15 AM

Hasn't it been "Time" for like the past 3 years?

NY Crusader 2010
May 7th, 2022, 09:16 AM
I would be pleasantly shocked to see us get a bye. Getting ranked in the top 8 in the country is going to require us to win at least 10, maybe 11 games. And we'll also have to beat Harvard on the road for the first time in 22 years.

Bye or no bye, I'd love to see Holy Cross win a Round of 16 playoff game for first time in school history.

Everyone in the PL will be gunning for us again. And we do have to play Colgate on the road, who will be highly motivated after we beat them down at Polar Park last October.

caribbeanhen
May 7th, 2022, 09:22 AM
Wasn't a seed but Lehigh did receive a bye in 2011 when they went 10-1. Ironically, they went 10-1 the next year and failed to earn an at-large bid.

Holy Cross has a great chance to earn a bye this year imo. There's a very legit chance they're the best team in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic this season. I think they could/would win the CAA in 2022. They'll be that good....

is the gritty Holy Cross QB coming back?

9 out of 10 times, the players make the Coach, Chesney is at the top of the 10 %

NY Crusader 2010
May 7th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Our QB, Matt Sluka, is coming back for his junior year.

caribbeanhen
May 7th, 2022, 12:13 PM
Our QB, Matt Sluka, is coming back for his junior year.

thanks! I like him, he’s a winner

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 7th, 2022, 12:24 PM
thanks! I like him, he’s a winner

While Sluka is a baller he has to become a more effective passer. I believe that is the key to the Crusaders season. Their defense is loaded! However, they have to be able to move the ball through the air/have legit balance against Top 10/15 teams if HC is to take the next step nationally.

caribbeanhen
May 7th, 2022, 01:28 PM
While Sluka is a baller he has to become a more effective passer. I believe that is the key to the Crusaders season. Their defense is loaded! However, they have to be able to move the ball through the air/have legit balance against Top 10/15 teams if HC is to take the next step nationally.

I totally agree as I remember the Sacred Heart game

NY Crusader 2010
May 7th, 2022, 01:48 PM

100% We need to be able to utilize the downfield passing game to take that next step. Not to mention, we'd love to ensure Sluka stays healthy, so minimizing his need to tuck it and run every third down is a priority.

KnightoftheRedFlash
May 7th, 2022, 04:50 PM
Go Crusaders!

Kept the awesome moniker unlike Valpo.

KnightoftheRedFlash
May 7th, 2022, 04:51 PM
11 or 12 game schedule?

11 game schedule. Inexcusable error.

Baron Sardonicus
May 7th, 2022, 05:34 PM
The NCAA should not be in the business of predicting conference championships. Stfu and let the games be played.

atthewbon
May 7th, 2022, 06:05 PM
The NCAA should not be in the business of predicting conference championships. Stfu and let the games be played.

It’s just some guy who writes for NCAA.com not the NCAA itself. I think it’s a good thing they are providing some coverage, the NCAA doesn’t have a great track record with promoting the FCS.

PaladinNation
May 8th, 2022, 07:13 AM
I have no idea what FU_Bear is thinking but I would pencil in Furman/Mercer as an option to either ETSU or UTC or both.

The Holy Cross — Furman connection. Furman has four new assistant coaches, one of them is ex HC OC/QB coach Justin Roper.
I became impressed with the HC offense after watching the Nova matchup.

Roper has a lot to work with in the Dins stable — a deep bench of running backs, an underperforming group of receivers, an All-American tight end, and a trio of talented young QBs.

It will be interesting to see the impact Roper has on a Furman offense that often was inconsistent under new ETSU HC George Quarles. This should be an interesting year in the SoCon.

Sader87
May 8th, 2022, 07:49 PM
I have no idea what FU_Bear is thinking but I would pencil in Furman/Mercer as an option to either ETSU or UTC or both.

The Holy Cross — Furman connection. Furman has four new assistant coaches, one of them is ex HC OC/QB coach Justin Roper.
I became impressed with the HC offense after watching the Nova matchup.

Roper has a lot to work with in the Dins stable — a deep bench of running backs, an underperforming group of receivers, an All-American tight end, and a trio of talented young QBs.

It will be interesting to see the impact Roper has on a Furman offense that often was inconsistent under new ETSU HC George Quarles. This should be an interesting year in the SoCon.
HC and Furman have met once on the gridiron, a 21-14 Paladin victory down there in 1975. They should meet again soon...would like to see HC play some SoCon teams every once in awhile.

wapiti
May 9th, 2022, 09:21 AM

That is good and all, but have the players been in the weight room??? xsmiley_wix

(For AGS people that have been a member for some time, may remember what I am referring to.)

TribeNomad1
May 9th, 2022, 09:44 AM
That is good and all, but have the players been in the weight room??? xsmiley_wix

(For AGS people that have been a member for some time, may remember what I am referring to.)

I doxnodx

TheKingpin28
May 9th, 2022, 08:00 PM

(For AGS people that have been a member for some time, may remember what I am referring to.)The weight room days rank right up there with the southern speed days.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk