PDA

View Full Version : New teams on your 2022 schedule

AmsterBison
May 1st, 2022, 08:07 AM
One of my favorite things is seeing new teams on the schedule - that's part of what made going to DI interesting.

NDSU has Arizona and North Carolina A&T.

NDSU also has Drake on the schedule - and the Bison haven't played them in 60 years (Drake leads the series 2-0 too.)

Sitting Bull
May 1st, 2022, 08:53 AM
Agree.

For W&M, we play Charlotte and Campbell, both firsts. Also the first two games.

aceinthehole
May 1st, 2022, 10:00 AM
Central Connecticut hosts Brown this year (and returns a game to them next year).

This is the 4th Ivy League opponent for CCSU. Blue Devils have previously played Columbia, Dartmouth, and Penn.

ElCid
May 1st, 2022, 06:28 PM
All three, sort of.

Campbell

App St* .... as FBS ...otherwise it's like game 43. I can't believe it's been 9 nine years since we beat them their last two FCS seasons.

Virginia Lynchburg ...Eek. only reason was to fill hole left by SC ST since they bailed to play an FBS late.

DFW HOYA
May 1st, 2022, 07:00 PM
Virginia Lynchburg ...Eek. only reason was to fill hole left by SC ST since they bailed to play an FBS late.

Three buildings, one residence hall, no home games.

https://athletics.vul.edu/sports/fball/2022-23/schedule

Ridge1982
May 1st, 2022, 07:23 PM
All of them

Iridebikes
May 1st, 2022, 07:40 PM
EWU gets to go to Gainesville and play Florida for the first time. However, before that happens Tennessee State is coming to Cheney for our inaugural game with them.

bonarae
May 1st, 2022, 07:56 PM
Harvard is playing an FCS transitional team for the very first time. Merrimack will visit Boston to open our season.

UAalum72
May 1st, 2022, 08:09 PM
Besides the money game at Baylor, Albany plays new CAA opponent Hampton for the first time, at home.

katss07
May 1st, 2022, 09:25 PM
SHSU is going to host new FCS program Texas A&M Commerce this fall, marking just their second meeting in the past four decades.

They have met 63 times before, however, playing continuously from the early 1900s through SHSU's move to D1, only breaking for WW2.

Kats will also host NAU and SUU for the first time since their respective playoff trips to Huntsville in 2001 and 2015. Got handed Ls, of course.

KPSUL
May 1st, 2022, 09:49 PM
New Hampshire playing 3 opponents who have never been on the schedule: NC Central, Western Michigan and new CAA member Monmouth.

ElCid
May 1st, 2022, 10:51 PM
Three buildings, one residence hall, no home games.

https://athletics.vul.edu/sports/fball/2022-23/schedule

Yeah I guess a home game, even against an NCCAA school is better than 10 games. They are playing 6 FCS teams this year. Wow.

lionsrking2
May 2nd, 2022, 01:17 AM
For Southeastern Louisiana, the only 2022 opponent we have never played is Florida Atlantic, but we're playing Murray State for only the second time ever, with the first meeting in 1979. We're playing Texas A&M-Commerce for the first time since 2009, and the ninth meeting all-time. We play Jacksonville State for the second time since 2019—they were an old GSC foe in the 1970's.

Go...gate
May 2nd, 2022, 01:55 AM
Colgate travels to Stanford.

McCowboys
May 2nd, 2022, 07:14 AM
McNeese will travel to Montana State. The two teams met in the playoffs in Lake Charles once, but I believe this will be the first regular season contest between the two.

McNeese will also travel to FBS Rice for the first-ever football meeting between the two programs.

I honestly do not know if the Cowboys have ever faced Eastern Illinois, A&M-Commerce, or Mississippi College before. Maybe some other McNeese fans will know. There are certainly quite a few unfamiliar foes for McNeese this season.

FUBeAR
May 2nd, 2022, 08:20 AM
Mercer has 2 new Teams on their 2022 schedule…

Morehead State - Even though Mercer opened their restart of Football with a year in the PFL, they did not meet Morehead State in 2013. They’ll tee it up in 2022, though, in a Week 0 game in Macon, GA on Saturday 8/27. The Eagles are coming off a very solid 7-4/6-2 season in 2021, only losing to powerhouse JMU, solid APSU, and PFL front-runners, Davidson & San Diego. As horrible scheduling, combined, of course, with terrible decision-making by the FCS Playoff Selection Committee kept the Bears out of the Playoffs last season, they were very glad to add this game to their 2022 schedule. That said, Morehead State looks strong and will not be a pushover for Mercer. Also, as the MSU Eagles travel to Montana State (MSU vs. MSU) on 9/10, the comparisons of those 2 games should give us a much better perspective where Mercer stands vs. the FCS Top 5 than perceived-stronger-conference-biased human polls and individual pundits rankings or computer rankings relying on historical results and circular-logic-driven algorithms to, somehow (nonsensically, to be honest), assess current capabilities.

Gardner-Webb - Mercer will travel to the metropolis of Boiling Springs, NC on 9/24 for Game 4. Gardner-Webb is led by Head Coach & former Mercer Offensive Cooordinator, Tre Lamb. Former Mercer DB Coach, Josh Reardon, is G-W’s DC. Also on staff at G-W are former Mercer DB Coach, Dominique Davenport, who coaches RB’s for the Runnin’ Bulldogs and shares Special Teams Coordinator duties with former star Mercer Safety, Mike Gray. Of course one of Mercer’s outstanding Players is WR/RS, Devron Harper (https://mercerbears.com/sports/football/roster/devron-harper/9501 - see #1 in Twitter clip below), who transferred to Mercer from G-W after 2019. Although G-W finished a disappointing 4-7/2-5 (Big South) last season, they are definitely a Team on the rise. They lost very close games to FBS Georgia Southern and FCS Top 10 Kennesaw State while defeating new CAA member NC A&T and rising SoCon-member, WCU. Again, with the scheduling/playoffs issues of 2021, Mercer was very grateful to get this game on the 2022 schedule, but Gardner-Webb will be looking to make a statement at home and set the tone as they head into their conference schedule. Actually, this game should also tell us a lot about Mercer as G-W faces FBS-ranked Coastal Carolina & the 2nd best CAA Team, Elon, in the weeks before their matchup with the Bears. Then the Bulldogs go get some MACtion as they travel to Marshall. That’s a 4 game gauntlet for them and how they compete against each of those Teams should inform us about the Bears’ status on a national level.

https://twitter.com/mercerfootball/status/1481311393081090057

Side note - though they have met 3x previously (1896, 1897, 2017), the Bears gave Auburn all they wanted in that 2017 game. Mercer was within 1 score until under 5 minutes were left to play. They had their chances to tie or take the lead, but couldn’t quite get ‘over the hump.’ With the improvement the Bears have made since then and with the challenges on The Plains this off-season, FCS fans might want to circle 9/3 on their calendars as Mercer travels to Auburn that day. We just might see, as we saw last season, another SoCon Team take a scalp from an SEC Squad - the Conference that is clearly the Gold Standard of FBS and all of College Football.

ST_Lawson
May 2nd, 2022, 10:54 AM
We don't have any completely new teams on our schedule this year. Two that we've only met up with once.
UT-Martin - we beat them 56-0 in 2003
Minnesota - we lost to them 29-12 in 2013

CenMEBlackBearFan
May 2nd, 2022, 11:33 AM
I believe Maine has 3 first time opponents-
@ New Mexico
@ Hampton
Homecoing with Monmouth, was supposed to have played them in 2020 but dam Covid screwed that up.

AmsterBison
May 2nd, 2022, 11:35 AM
McNeese will travel to Montana State. The two teams met in the playoffs in Lake Charles once, but I believe this will be the first regular season contest between the two.

McNeese will also travel to FBS Rice for the first-ever football meeting between the two programs.

I honestly do not know if the Cowboys have ever faced Eastern Illinois, A&M-Commerce, or Mississippi College before. Maybe some other McNeese fans will know. There are certainly quite a few unfamiliar foes for McNeese this season.

Now, this is the type of question that I am ideally suited for!

Eastern Illinois: twice, last time was 1993
TAMUC: twice, last time was in 1971
Mississippi College: thrice, last time in 2015

JALMOND
May 2nd, 2022, 11:45 AM
Portland State OOC this year;

San Jose State---played them a few years back but they are not a regular opponent.
Washington---part of the round robin regional Pac-12 teams in the next few years (Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State).
Lincoln, CA---first time opponent, but still looking to replace them if someone better comes along at the last minute.

WestCoastAggie
May 2nd, 2022, 11:54 AM
All three, sort of.

Campbell

App St* .... as FBS ...otherwise it's like game 43. I can't believe it's been 9 nine years since we beat them their last two FCS seasons.

Are they going to play you all in the future or will they be giving you a check for breaking or buying out the contract?

ElCid
May 2nd, 2022, 12:20 PM
Are they going to play you all in the future or will they be giving you a check for breaking or buying out the contract?

As I understand it, rescheduled. Two or three game series I think.

wapiti
May 2nd, 2022, 12:34 PM
For MSU:
MSU has played McNeese in playoffs, but I do not remember them playing a regular season game.

MSU hosting Morehead

MSU playing at FBS Oregon State

ysubigred
May 2nd, 2022, 09:27 PM
YSU - Kentucky, would rather play them in basketball than football of lately [emoji848] good payday serious arse whooping [emoji2960]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AmsterBison
May 3rd, 2022, 11:52 AM
I looked back at 2021 and there were 211 first time matchups.

St. Thomas had 9 of them, Dixie State had 8. According to St. Thomas's site, all 10 of their games were first-timers, but they've played Northern Iowa before back in the 1920s.

Bonus - if my numbers and logic are right, there were 128 teams in the FCS last year.

The programs who have played the most FCS opponents (counting only those opponents who were FCS in 2021):

Query177
TeamId
Cnt

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

Delaware

Northern Iowa

Liberty

Jacksonville State

Richmond

Dayton

McNeese State

Montana

These numbers might go down in 2022 because of the teams leaving the FCS to go FBS.

Baron Sardonicus
May 3rd, 2022, 12:40 PM
The programs who have played the most FCS opponents (counting only those opponents who were FCS in 2021):

Query177
TeamId
Cnt

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

Delaware

Northern Iowa

Liberty

Jacksonville State

Richmond

Dayton

McNeese State

Montana

Props tp Dayton. In a league where too many teams schedule by paycheck, they are full participants in D-I.

DFW HOYA
May 3rd, 2022, 12:51 PM
On the other side of the ledger is Harvard: 21 FCS opponents.

Minus the Ivy and Patriot, that's seven other FCS schools.

KPSUL
May 3rd, 2022, 01:22 PM
So how far back did you look? Did you include the 1AA era or just FCS? I went back to 2001 and I counted 50 for UNH, and probably missed one or two.

St. Thomas had 9 of them, Dixie State had 8. According to St. Thomas's site, all 10 of their games were first-timers, but they've played Northern Iowa before back in the 1920s.

Bonus - if my numbers and logic are right, there were 128 teams in the FCS last year.

TeamId
Cnt

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

Delaware

Northern Iowa

Liberty

Jacksonville State

Richmond

Dayton

McNeese State

Montana

These numbers might go down in 2022 because of the teams leaving the FCS to go FBS.

ElCid
May 3rd, 2022, 02:36 PM
So how far back did you look? Did you include the 1AA era or just FCS? I went back to 2001 and I counted 50 for UNH, and probably missed one or two.

I think he counted only FCS teams who have teams right now AND are FCS right now. We are at 29, counting only current FCS teams, but can add a bunch more for teams that were either 1AA (after 1978) but now FBS, or that don't have a team any more (so we got +9 from those for 38). The playoffs obviously add quite a bit of teams that you would not normally ever play. If you only looked at the regular season it might change quite a bit.

bonarae
May 3rd, 2022, 07:46 PM

TeamId
Cnt

North Dakota State

Youngstown State

Delaware

Northern Iowa

Liberty

Jacksonville State

Richmond

Dayton

McNeese State

Montana

How did you get these numbers? Did they include the ex-FCS who dropped the sport?

JacksFan40
May 3rd, 2022, 08:21 PM
Jacks play the Hawkeyes to open the season. I do not believe we’ve ever played Iowa before so this is a new one.

Other OOC games are UC-Davis and Butler. We played Davis in the playoffs last season and Butler back in 2013.

Professor
May 4th, 2022, 08:00 AM
A&T plays

NDSU , Bryant and Campbell for the 1st time

ElCid
May 4th, 2022, 08:43 AM
A&T plays

NDSU , Bryant and Campbell for the 1st time

Campbell has 8 first time opponents this year.

KPSUL
May 4th, 2022, 06:42 PM
I think he counted only FCS teams who have teams right now AND are FCS right now. We are at 29, counting only current FCS teams, but can add a bunch more for teams that were either 1AA (after 1978) but now FBS, or that don't have a team any more (so we got +9 from those for 38). The playoffs obviously add quite a bit of teams that you would not normally ever play. If you only looked at the regular season it might change quite a bit.

I counted only teams we played back to about 2000 that were 1AA or FCS when we played them and were still FCS as of Fall 2021. Now if we are only counting regular season games, UNH would be no where near 50. We've played a lot of playoff games 2004-2017.

And if we counted teams that either moved up to FBS after we played'em, or dropped their football program, the number would be close to 60. UMASS, UConn, Hofstra, Northeastern, BU, ODU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and likely a few more.

ElCid
May 5th, 2022, 11:17 AM
I counted only teams we played back to about 2000 that were 1AA or FCS when we played them and were still FCS as of Fall 2021. Now if we are only counting regular season games, UNH would be no where near 50. We've played a lot of playoff games 2004-2017.

And if we counted teams that either moved up to FBS after we played'em, or dropped their football program, the number would be close to 60. UMASS, UConn, Hofstra, Northeastern, BU, ODU, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and likely a few more.

Yup, we played 6 of those teams you mentioned as well.

Puddin Tane
May 5th, 2022, 11:41 PM
Lamar plays SMU, Dixie not Dixie St and Southern Utah. We also have New Mexico St, havent played them in about 50 years.

ElCid
May 6th, 2022, 11:51 AM
Just to give people a tool that some may not know about, here is a way to see past games of all teams. I know there may be a couple errors, especially from the early 20th century, but it is fairly accurate.

Go to Massey.

https://masseyratings.com/cf2022/fcs/ratings

Select to team of your choice.

Look at the schedule and select "x%" under the "results" column of the opponent of your choice, its hyperlinked.

Once the resulting page loads, select "Rivalry Historical Results" It's near the top under the "submit" button.

The resulting page will give you every game against the chosen opponent, by year. No details about the game other than the year, location, score, and if it was a playoff game. It also gives the series record against that opponent at the top.

Again, I know most of you probably know this, but this is for those who didn't know.

Have fun.

Ridge1982
May 7th, 2022, 03:34 PM
Thanks !

caribbeanhen
May 7th, 2022, 06:48 PM
Just to give people a tool that some may not know about, here is a way to see past games of all teams. I know there may be a couple errors, especially from the early 20th century, but it is fairly accurate.

Go to Massey.

https://masseyratings.com/cf2022/fcs/ratings

Select to team of your choice.

Look at the schedule and select "x%" under the "results" column of the opponent of your choice, its hyperlinked.

Once the resulting page loads, select "Rivalry Historical Results" It's near the top under the "submit" button.

The resulting page will give you every game against the chosen opponent, by year. No details about the game other than the year, location, score, and if it was a playoff game. It also gives the series record against that opponent at the top.

Again, I know most of you probably know this, but this is for those who didn't know.

Have fun.

A great tool indeed

AmsterBison
May 10th, 2022, 11:23 AM
How did you get these numbers? Did they include the ex-FCS who dropped the sport?

I only counted opponents who were in FCS last year - I kinda wanted to see how many of the 128 FCS opponents teams have played / have left to play.

It gets trickier when you count opponents who were in the FCS at the time of the game. I counted 21 all-time FCS opponents for Harvard that way.

tblGamesScores_1.TeamId

Lehigh

Massachusetts

Brown

Bucknell

Colgate

Columbia

Cornell

Dartmouth

Fordham

Georgetown (DC)

Holy Cross

Howard

Lafayette College

Northeastern

Pennsylvania

Princeton

Rhode Island

San Diego

William & Mary

Yale

Boston University

Redbird 4th & short
May 14th, 2022, 09:28 PM
ISUr opens against Wisconsin ... i dont believe weve played them before.

AmsterBison
July 1st, 2022, 10:23 AM
I don't believe all the schedules were final when I ripped down the data, but here's what I've got for the teams with the highest numbers of first-time matchups:

Query177
TeamId
Cnt

Lindenwood

Campbell

Kennesaw State

Hampton

Utah Tech

Southern Utah

Bryant

Robert Morris

Abilene Christian

Eastern Kentucky

North Carolina A&T

Austin Peay

Charleston Southern

Incarnate Word

North Alabama

Murray State

Around 30 teams don't have anybody new on the schedule.

McCowboys
July 1st, 2022, 11:31 AM
I don't believe all the schedules were final when I ripped down the data, but here's what I've got for the teams with the highest numbers of first-time matchups:

TeamId
Cnt

Lindenwood

Campbell

Kennesaw State

Hampton

Utah Tech

Southern Utah

Bryant

Robert Morris

Abilene Christian

Eastern Kentucky

North Carolina A&T

Austin Peay

Charleston Southern

Incarnate Word

North Alabama

Murray State

Around 30 teams don't have anybody new on the schedule.

Was this compiled before UIW decided to remain in the Southland Conference?
What about transitioning to FCS new member Texas A&M - Commerce?