PDA

View Full Version : Weber State DL furious over Montana crackback

I Bleed Purple
October 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'll fuel the fire here. Stupid Standard article is registration only, so I can't link to it. Basically Derek Johnson is pissed off that nothing is happening to the guy that ended his career. The reason the BSC hasn't done anything is because they can't prove intent. DJ doesn't buy it, saying there's no way a 6'7" guy could intend to go high and hit the knee.

He's also upset that McBride got a game for questioning a play call last year and the guy that ends a person's career on an illegal and completely classless block (intentional or not) has nothing done to him.

Another reason to hate UM. ;)

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I'll fuel the fire here. Stupid Standard article is registration only, so I can't link to it. Basically Derek Johnson is pissed off that nothing is happening to the guy that ended his career. The reason the BSC hasn't done anything is because they can't prove intent. DJ doesn't buy it, saying there's no way a 6'7" guy could intend to go high and hit the knee.

He's also upset that McBride got a game for questioning a play call last year and the guy that ends a person's career on an illegal and completely classless block (intentional or not) has nothing done to him.

Another reason to hate UM. ;)

Bad Grizzly. BAD!

xmadx

But, Bleeder, they make SO MUCH MONEY! Suspending a guy on their team would cause bad press for the BSC.

saccat
October 4th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Bad Grizzly. BAD!

xmadx

My opinion ( and it is just that) from watching the replay is that the Griz linemen looks over and dives into his knee. He didn't slip he dove.

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2007, 06:59 PM
My opinion ( and it is just that) from watching the replay is that the Griz linemen looks over and dives into his knee. He didn't slip he dove.

BAD, BAAAAAD Grizzly!!

xnonono2x

uofmman1122
October 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Another reason to hate UM. ;)This is an embarrassment, and we're ashamed.

What do you want us to do? Dismantle the Football program and give the money to the volleyball squad?

It's all he said/she said at this point. If they can somehow prove intent, then it will be dealt with, but until then there's nothing that can be done. However, blaming the entire program, school, and fans isn't going to help anything.

I wish him a speedy recovery, as it is very unfortunate. It's a terrible thing that's happened, and hopefully it can all get smoothed over.

blukeys
October 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Weren't all the reserves in the Weber State Game by the time of the injury???

Montana's reserves have played 90% of the games so far so you really can't blame the Griz. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

patssle
October 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
At least he didn't shoot him in the knee ;)

pantherfan
October 4th, 2007, 07:45 PM
xlolx xbowx
At least he didn't shoot him in the knee ;)

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Weren't all the reserves in the Weber State Game by the time of the injury???

Montana's reserves have played 90% of the games so far so you really can't blame the Griz. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

I hate to contribute to this but I believe the hit was in the 1st quarter.

I Bleed, it's fair that you are all upset over this. I didn't see the hit so I can't comment on it, but it sounded pretty nasty. What's the status on the medical redshirt?

I heard that Balogh and Hauck called personally and apologized. I'm sure that's no consolation, but hopefully you realize that this is not the kind of act that ANY Montana coach would condone.

blukeys
October 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I hate to contribute to this but I believe the hit was in the 1st quarter.

I Bleed, it's fair that you are all upset over this. I didn't see the hit so I can't comment on it, but it sounded pretty nasty. What's the status on the medical redshirt?

I heard that Balogh and Hauck called personally and apologized. I'm sure that's no consolation, but hopefully you realize that this is not the kind of act that ANY Montana coach would condone.

Care to update us on the actions the coaching staff took on the player who destroyed a player's year and maybe career??

Word are nice. Actions speak louder.

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Care to update us on the actions the coaching staff took on the player who destroyed a player's year and maybe career??

Yeah, you Griz buttface poopy butt!

xmadx xmadx

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM

I don't know. I know that they technically have no proof that it was intentional. I'm not defending it, I'm just sayin.

No_Skill
October 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM
This is the first I've heard of this. Any YouTube video?

DuckDuckGriz
October 4th, 2007, 09:48 PM
This is the first I've heard of this. Any YouTube video?

There isn't, but you can catch it I'm told after about 17 minutes on the Grizzly Replay- there is a link off of kpax.com

EastCoast
October 4th, 2007, 10:34 PM
The tape also shows that Weber had 2 uncalled chop blocks in the game.

Peems
October 4th, 2007, 10:41 PM

WOW. So any player that "hurts" someone on an illegal play, should be suspended? I mean there is no proof that he did intentionally and while it was a terrible thing, Coach Hauck and Balogh did the right thing by apologizing.

WyomingGrizFan
October 5th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Whether it's a crackback, chop block or whatever the NCAA Rules Committee has shown a shallowness on this regard by allowing blocks below the waist as long as it's one-on-one. There should not be any confusion in this regard as there should never be any blocks below the waist allowed in the first place.

To hide behind the word 'intention' is also pretty shallow. Actions speak louder than words and, as far as I'am concerned, I'd say Cody Balogh should be suspended for the rest of the season. It's dreadfully unfortunate that one career is threatened, so too, both should be placed on an equal footing. He didn't have to even bother himself with trying to block anyone on that play to begin with, let alone block from the side and below the waist on someone already dealt with by a fellow OL member. Jeez, how easy it is to sit in judgement.

AZGrizFan
October 5th, 2007, 12:59 AM

Shocking, coming from a Cat fan. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

qatifi
October 5th, 2007, 01:31 AM
The whole game is available over on the Griz blog, if anyone wants to watch the hit. It's in the first quarter.

Green26
October 5th, 2007, 03:05 AM
WyoGriz, would you suspend the Weber players who also threw chop blocks that game? Would you suspend players who commit penalties, if someone got hurt by the penalty? For example, if there's a late hit, and the receipient of the hit gets hurts, would person receiving the penalty be suspended?

The word is that Balogh was supposed to do a cut block on that play, and the other blocker was supposed to block someone else, or hit and release. Does that not influence your view of the situation?

Poly Pigskin
October 5th, 2007, 04:52 AM
WyoGriz, would you suspend the Weber players who also threw chop blocks that game? Would you suspend players who commit penalties, if someone got hurt by the penalty?

That's not an unreasonable stance to take. I really think that anything that has a high probability of causing a serious injury should be completely removed from the game. In general, the vast majority of games are very clean, but by enforcing severe penalties on violators, it would make it that much safer for the players. Chop blocks are never excusable, and I think the NCAA needs to look at the so-called "horse collar" tackle rule that the NFL now enforces.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I think football players should all wear flags. All this contact makes me worry about everyones safety. Weeeee weeeee weeeeeee!

uofmman1122
October 5th, 2007, 11:04 AM
That's not an unreasonable stance to take. I really think that anything that has a high probability of causing a serious injury should be completely removed from the game. In general, the vast majority of games are very clean, but by enforcing severe penalties on violators, it would make it that much safer for the players. Chop blocks are never excusable, and I think the NCAA needs to look at the so-called "horse collar" tackle rule that the NFL now enforces.Who's up for two-hand-touch? xlolx

pantherfan
October 5th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Regardless of intent (he obviously did not INTEND to end this players career...hopefully), this was a blatantly illegal play that did result in a serious injury. I'm not for ending his season, but a one game suspension or even sitting him for a quarter/half would send the message that this type of behavior will NOT be tolerated at Montana. Drunk drivers don't INTEND to cause an accident that injures someone, but that doesn't let them off the hook!xcoffeex

Cleets
October 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I think football players should all wear flags. All this contact makes me worry about everyones safety. Weeeee weeeee weeeeeee!

Post of the week....!!!! xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
The tape also shows that Weber had 2 uncalled chop blocks in the game.

See, that's the thing. Do we crucify Balogh because his chop block actually injured someone, and let the other two go because they got lucky?

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Proud Griz Man
October 5th, 2007, 11:16 AM
No fan, coach or player wants to see career-ending injuries and what happened to Mr. Johnson was terrible. If the BSC levies suspensions for each flagrant penalty, that would be overzealous. Balough's hit on Johnson did not look appropriate, from what little I saw or know about the play.

That said, Weber has no room to complain. Numerous Weber players started a confrontation with UM during pre-game warmups last year. That's not part of the game.

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Everytime we play a option team like Cal Poly and SUU our players complain that they were chop blocked. Doesn't make it right but it happens especially with option teams.

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Regardless of intent (he obviously did not INTEND to end this players career...hopefully), this was a blatantly illegal play that did result in a serious injury. I'm not for ending his season, but a one game suspension or even sitting him for a quarter/half would send the message that this type of behavior will NOT be tolerated at Montana. Drunk drivers don't INTEND to cause an accident that injures someone, but that doesn't let them off the hook!xcoffeex

Only a sick person would intend to injure a person in such a manner on a football filed. There is a big difference between a clean hard hit and a dirty play. This was clearly a dirty play and uncalled for. I am biased on this however as I myself tore 3 knee ligaments on a pretty dirty play in college and still feel the lingering effects today. I know the player invloved in my injury didnt want to hurt me and was apoligetic afterward, but he was being irresponsible and dirty and there is no place for that in the game. Every player like myself assumes the risk of serious injury, but it is much harder to accept when it is inflicted on a dirty play. The poor kid at Weber is in for a year of extremely painful rehab and his knee bothering him for life just like me. That is a heavy burden to carry on a play that could have been prevented.

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Everytime we play a option team like Cal Poly and SUU our players complain that they were chop blocked. Doesn't make it right but it happens especially with option teams.

Chop blocks on the interior line are part of the game and are expected and not dirty. Diving at the knee without just cause is dirty, and borderline assault

Cleets
October 5th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Only a sick person would intend to injure a person in such a manner on a football filed. There is a big difference between a clean hard hit and a dirty play. This was clearly a dirty play and uncalled for. I am biased on this however as I myself tore 3 knee ligaments on a pretty dirty play in college and still feel the lingering effects today. I know the player invloved in my injury didnt want to hurt me and was apoligetic afterward, but he was being irresponsible and dirty and there is no place for that in the game. Every player liek myself assumes the risk of serious injury, but it is much harder to accept when it is inflicted on a dirty play. The poor kid at Weber is in for a year of extremely painful rehab an dhis knee bothering him for life just like me. That is a heavy burden to carry on a play that could have been prevented.

Great post..!!!
and you have a really cool motorcycle...

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
That's what option teams do. They dive at the back of the lower legs. I've talked to players that dread playing option teams. They say "I'm sick of getting hit just behind my knees by those players."

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
That's what option teams do. They dive at the back of the lower legs. I've talked to players that dread playing option teams. They say "I'm sick of getting hit just behind my knees by those players."

I understand that, I played O-Line for an option team at prep school and cut the daylights out of people all game, but never injured anyone. But a proper cut block is executed by driving you shoulder pad into the thigh of the defender, diving at the back of legs happens a lot when linemen arent in the correct postion. I agree that can also result in injury, but an open filed or blindside cut block it much more dangerous as one or both participants are moving faster.

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Great post..!!!
and you have a really cool motorcycle...

Thanks, and I only crashed it once! xlolx Very minor thankfully.

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM
It was reported at the Montana QB Club today that Montana has sent game film to the Big Sky Headquarters of three instances of blatant chop blocks by three different Weber State players prior to Johnson incident. Live by the sword die by the sword.

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
It was reported at the Montana QB Club today that Montana has sent game film to the Big Sky Headquarters of three instances of blatant chop blocks by three different Weber State players prior to Johnson incident. Live by the sword die by the sword.

But not all chop blocks are illegal, if they are within the tackle box or on the interior of the line, they can and do happen frequently are a very integral part of the game. A blindside chop block is almost always uncalled for. If Weber was also engagning in illegal activity then they should be reprimaned as well.

pantherfan
October 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Chop blocks are penalties; your player committed a penalty that resulted in a serious injury. You can't suspend every player who commits a penalty; but when that penalty results in career ending injury, a line must be drawn. I think that it is a bad decision for Montana to try to justify this...

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Live by the Griz, die by the Griz, homer boy.

http://www.geocities.com/hkhemlock/MorePictures/PandasMating.jpg
"Oh, yeah, Tsu-tsu, call me Lex Hilliard while I grind you up! Oh, yeah, that's it!! Tell me slow and dirty how we're gonna pay off that department debt, you bruin sl*t!"

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx :D :D :D ;) ;) xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hansel
October 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/global/Category.asp?c=84454

click on the first quarter it is around 18 mins in

AZGrizFan
October 5th, 2007, 12:01 PM
It's only because the Griz suck so back this year they've got to cheat to win. xsmhx

Hansel
October 5th, 2007, 12:04 PM
It's only because the Griz suck so back this year they've got to cheat to win. xsmhx

I heard they had to cut back on scholarships and coaching staff due to the deficit xrotatehx

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
It ain't holding if they don't throw the flag.

I think the same applies here. You all sound like a bunch of wussies.

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I doubt Hauck would have sent the film showing chop blocks on our players unless they were the same type and severity as the one that caused the injury. Weber is a chippy team. If they want to play that way we can play that game too. 240 yards of penalties by the two teams in the Weber game and we had the lowest penalties in the Conference going in. We had only 120 yards of penalties total in the first three games.

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:08 PM

I'll assume you meant "bad".

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

But, Z, remember, the issue isn't that Montana is necessarily bad, it's the conference that's bad. Montana can't help that. However, a BSC sked ain't gonna get you guys ready for UNI or Delaware of App State or Youngstown or Wofford in the playoffs.

Be cool.

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I doubt Hauck would have sent the film showing chop blocks on our players unless they were the same type and severity as the one that caused the injury. Weber is a chippy team. If they want to play that way we can play that game too. 240 yards of penalties by the two teams in the Weber game and we had the lowest penalties in the Conference going in. We had only 120 yards of penalties in the first three games.

And, popcorn sales at Wash-Griz concessions this year paid for the entire travel budget of the women's track and men's golf team.

xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Ronbo
October 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM
And, popcorn sales at Wash-Griz concessions this year paid for the entire travel budget of the women's track and men's golf team.

xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

For an ex-football jock you certainly don't talk much about football. Tell us about the guys you put out for the season. Bet it was more than one.xnodx

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I watched that video and that play was total BS. It occured on a pass play, where chop blocks are certainly not the norm and not a part of the usual blocking scheme. Now the Weber player was engaged with the Montana Guard who was blocking him easily. For no reason whatsoever the Montana Left tacke dove his fat ass into the Weber players knee leaving the poor kid writhing on the ground in pain. Now that I actually see the video anyone who defends this dirty plan ceratinly never played the game or understand what line play is all about.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I watched that video and that play was total BS. It occured on a pass play, where chop blocks are certainly not the norm and not a part of the usual blocking scheme. Now the Weber player was engaged with the Montana Guard who was blocking him easily. For no reason whatsoever the Montana Left tacke dove his fat ass into the Weber players knee leaving the poor kid writhing on the ground in pain. Now that I actually see the video anyone who defends this dirty plan ceratinly never played the game or understand what line play is all about.
Well that definately sounds bogus then. Where'd you get the link to the video? What time into the game does this happen?

putter
October 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM

But, Z, remember, the issue isn't that Montana is necessarily bad, it's the conference that's bad. Montana can't help that. However, a BSC sked ain't gonna get you guys ready for UNI or Delaware of App State or Youngstown or Wofford in the playoffs.

Be cool.

Your opinion only. xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Be cool.

Hmmm...seemed to get us ready for SIU last year just fine.... xeyebrowx xlolx

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM
For an ex-football jock you certainly don't talk much about football. Tell us about the guys you put out for the season. Bet it was more than one.xnodx

Um, do I NEED to talk about football? Kind of a been-there-done-that thing for The Cap'n. You wouldn't understand.

Cap'n Cat was a mean and dirty player. He was known as the Conrad Dobler of the Gateway Conference by opposing coaches back then.

HOWEVER, He was a sportsman. When Cap'n Cat saw you writhing on the field after that Adam's apple squeeze HE gave you in pass protection, He helped you up and walked you to your trainers. If He ever "accidentally" got his fingers in your eye, He did the same.

xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Hmmm...seemed to get us ready for SIU last year just fine.... xeyebrowx xlolx

Key phrase: "last year".

This Montana sked is MUCH worse than last year.

xwhistlex xwhistlex

AZGrizFan
October 5th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Key phrase: "last year".

This Montana sked is MUCH worse than last year.

xwhistlex xwhistlex

How can it be MUCH worse when 8 of the 11 games are against the same teams? What, the fact that we didn't play Iowa this year? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

It's not like we moved to the MEAC all the sudden. xcoolx

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Um, do I NEED to talk about football? Kind of a been-there-done-that thing for The Cap'n. You wouldn't understand.

Cap'n Cat was a mean and dirty player. He was known as the Conrad Dobler of the Gateway Conference by opposing coaches back then.

HOWEVER, He was a sportsman. When Cap'n Cat saw you writhing on the field after that Adam's apple squeeze HE gave you in pass protection, He helped you up and walked you to your trainers. If He ever "accidentally" got his fingers in your eye, He did the same.

xthumbsupx

Come on now. I saw that game clip of you pulling around the right side and falling down through the hole like the rest of us did on occasion. No need to dietize yourself with capital letters.

I know Tony Munoz, Tony Munoz is a friend of mine. You're no Tony Munoz!

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Well that definately sounds bogus then. Where'd you get the link to the video? What time into the game does this happen?

It was posted by someone a few pages back-- it was at the 18 minute mark or so of the video. you only see it on the replay at about 18.30 or so i believe

griz8791
October 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I don't think much of the rapidly-evolving current excuse that the game film shows Weber was also chop-blocking. First, as I understand it, the chop block that crippled Johnson and ended that drive was near the beginning of the game and can't be justified by anything Weber did later in the game. Second, if it's against the rules it's against the rules even if the other side is doing it too and even if the other side breaks the rules first.

putter
October 5th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I think every fan, including Griz fans, feel terrible what happened to Johnson. No one ever wants to see someone's career ended whether it is from a legal or illegal play. This has been debated on eGriz for a week now and perpetually keeping this on the front page is no use to anyone. Take the apologies and well-wishes and move on to the next game.

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Come on now. I saw that game clip of you pulling around the right side and falling down through the hole like the rest of us did on occasion. No need to dietize yourself with capital letters.

I know Tony Munoz, Tony Munoz is a friend of mine. You're no Tony Munoz!

That was ONE play in the thousands I ran for UNI. Besides, Android, the ******ing guard tripped in front of me, the puss!

And I'm not deifying myself. I was deified years ago!

:D :D :D

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM
It was posted by someone a few pages back-- it was at the 18 minute mark or so of the video. you only see it on the replay at about 18.30 or so i believe

Yeah, but it's not there anymore.

lizrdgizrd
October 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM
It's right at the 18:00 mark on that link.

Dirty shot and unnecessary, the guard had him handled easily. xnonono2x

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
It's right at the 18:00 mark on that link.

Dirty shot and unnecessary, the guard had him handled easily. xnonono2x

BAD Griz!! BAD, BAD, BAD, BAAAAAD!!!

xmadx

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah just saw it. Bogus block. The Weber State lineman probably whipped Griz #71 a play or two before.
At first I thought it was the RT who had a poor but legal cut block on the other side. I didn't see the chop until the second replay.

Khan4Cats
October 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I would argue that that was a blatant/flagrant foul regardless of whether an injury occurred. The DL was engaged when the second player clearly aimed at the knee. Was there intent to injure? Only the lineman knows for certain. Does it matter? NO. That's the kind of cheap shot that needs to be addressed. Montana should have handled it themselves, otherwise the BSC or NCAA should make a ruling. Totally unacceptable to be allowed to continue with only a penalty flag and yards lost. (And yes, if there are other documented actions, flagged or not, there needs to be some action.)
Kind of like stomping on a player's head when they are on the ground.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
BTW, the title says its a crackback, it's not.

lizrdgizrd
October 5th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Yeah just saw it. Bogus block. The Weber State lineman probably whipped Griz #71 a play or two before.
At first I thought it was the RT who had a poor but legal cut block on the other side. I didn't see the chop until the second replay.
I thought the same at first and didn't understand the problem. Then I saw the replay. xeekx

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
BTW, the title says its a crackback, it's not.

Yup, a crackback is different, and it also sucks being on the recieving end of one of those.

andy7171
October 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Yup, a crackback is different, and it also sucks being on the recieving end of one of those.

We had a big WR in HS that would blow up DEs! I think they made those illegal too. I still don't know what's the problem with bull in the ring.

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 01:58 PM
We had a big WR in HS that would blow up DEs! I think they made those illegal too. I still don't know what's the problem with bull in the ring.

HaHa.. I think Bull in the Ring killed quite a few of my brain cells. I played a little DE in high school and got destroyed a time or two on a crackback, so they were legal a few years ago in high school but not sure about now.

lizrdgizrd
October 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Anybody got a good video demonstrating a crackback block?

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Anybody got a good video demonstrating a crackback block?

It is basically a reciever or someone split out coming down on a DE or LB and clipping the hell out of them.

FargoBison
October 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Why point the finger back? Just say you were wrong and move on.

lizrdgizrd
October 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
It is basically a reciever or someone split out coming down on a DE or LB and clipping the hell out of them.

Yeah, I was just hoping for a good video so I could explain it for my wife. She likes to learn 1 new football term per week. xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I was just hoping for a good video so I could explain it for my wife. She likes to learn 1 new football term per week. xthumbsupx

Nice my girlfirend is still getting her head wrapped around the whole down and distance thing

lizrdgizrd
October 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Nice my girlfirend is still getting her head wrapped around the whole down and distance thing
So you call it "down and distance"? That's an odd name for the male anatomy. xsmiley_wix

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 5th, 2007, 02:56 PM
If someone breaks a rule that exists for the sake of safety, why should the punishment be different depending on whether or not the victim got hurt? It's like a kid that says "mommy, I shouldn't be put in time out for playing in traffic unless I get hurt!". I'm all for suspensions, but why not be consistant?

Proud Griz Man
October 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM

Nobody is here Defending the chop block. Nobody here knows intent, nor what has happened in plays before that one. I don't think Weber is innocent.

If the Big Sky Conference levies a penalty, it will be publicly disclosed. If UM levies a penalty, it will NOT be disclosed. Discipline is handled internally.

Russ B
October 5th, 2007, 03:04 PM

That's the illegal and/or poorly executed version.

I found a couple pretty good definitions:

"The Crack Back Block is generally defined as a block made on an inside defender against the flow of the play."

"Crackback block – On a running play, this is when a wide receiver comes from the outside and blocks to the inside. Opposite of a kickout block."

It's particularly good on sweeps and such when the defensive player is looking in the backfield at a play coming towards him and the receiver/split TE is therefore coming from his blind side.

Tricky part is to make a legal block, i.e. not in the back of the defender or at their legs (clipping, as mentioned).

proasu89
October 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM
So you call it "down and distance"? That's an odd name for the male anatomy. xsmiley_wix

I got the down part. The distance thing is a bit puzzlingxeyebrowx

Franks Tanks
October 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
That's the illegal and/or poorly executed version.

I found a couple pretty good definitions:

"The Crack Back Block is generally defined as a block made on an inside defender against the flow of the play."

"Crackback block – On a running play, this is when a wide receiver comes from the outside and blocks to the inside. Opposite of a kickout block."

It's particularly good on sweeps and such when the defensive player is looking in the backfield at a play coming towards him and the receiver/split TE is therefore coming from his blind side.

Tricky part is to make a legal block, i.e. not in the back of the defender or at their legs (clipping, as mentioned).

You are certainly correct, but as you said its pretty hard to execute correctly without clipping or drawing a penalty. But you can really lay someone out when you things line up correctly.

Russ B
October 5th, 2007, 03:27 PM
But you can really lay someone out when you things line up correctly.

Word. http://nepopsisty.net/images/smiles/devil-smiley-019.gif

Grizzle G
October 5th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Click on Bobby Hauck show Sept. 30th segment 3. hear from the tackle himself.http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/SearchResults.asp?vendor=wss&qu=bobby+hauck+show

BisonBacker
October 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I listened to him, so what? Sounded pretty lame to me. His comments
It's football, people are going to get hurt? or this
a lot of people got hurt
Sorry but that just sounded pretty hollow. Only he truly knows if it was intentional but seeing the play it sure looks intentional. Yeah Weber may have been doing the same thing but bring it to the refs or coach then don't start the same dirty cheap playing tactics that makes you just as bad.

Peems
October 5th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I listened to him, so what? Sounded pretty lame to me. His comments or this
Sorry but that just sounded pretty hollow. Only he truly knows if it was intentional but seeing the play it sure looks intentional. Yeah Weber may have been doing the same thing but bring it to the refs or coach then don't start the same dirty cheap playing tactics that makes you just as bad.

Coach Hauck doesn't know if it was intentional and he said it wasn't so did the player. It was an illegal dirty play that resulted in a penalty and rightfully so. That a player got injured is the worst part of it all

bkrownd
October 5th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Whether it's a crackback, chop block or whatever the NCAA Rules Committee has shown a shallowness on this regard by allowing blocks below the waist as long as it's one-on-one. There should not be any confusion in this regard as there should never be any blocks below the waist allowed in the first place.

Cry me a river, wimp. Go play flag football.

I Bleed Purple
October 5th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Thought it was a crackback block when I saw the article. Hadn't seen the play yet. My dad had two knee destroying crackbacks.

Can anyone show me any plays of Weber going low on someone engaged high? I've seen plays of Weber going low, but that's incorrectly attempting a legal block. We run a lot of option, swing passes, and quick screens. It is a staple of those plays to cut the DT on the side the ball is going to. What has happened to Weber is that the DT will jump the route and attack the ball. The OT is late and goes low when the DT has turned to the side of him, making it illegal.

This play is absolutely ridiculous. I was disgusted when I saw it. This is so patently illegal, it boggles the mind. There is nothing even remotely legal to this play. It's horrific. No reason at all. No possibly way for the play to be legal. You HAVE to know that going low when engaged high is illegal.

I think every fan, including Griz fans, feel terrible what happened to Johnson. No one ever wants to see someone's career ended whether it is from a legal or illegal play. This has been debated on eGriz for a week now and perpetually keeping this on the front page is no use to anyone. Take the apologies and well-wishes and move on to the next game.
Tell that to Derek Johnson. Plus, he hasn't received any apologies from the player or the coach. Only McBride has received a rather hallow one.

Peems
October 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Thought it was a crackback block when I saw the article. Hadn't seen the play yet. My dad had two knee destroying crackbacks.

Can anyone show me any plays of Weber going low on someone engaged high? I've seen plays of Weber going low, but that's incorrectly attempting a legal block. We run a lot of option, swing passes, and quick screens. It is a staple of those plays to cut the DT on the side the ball is going to. What has happened to Weber is that the DT will jump the route and attack the ball. The OT is late and goes low when the DT has turned to the side of him, making it illegal.

This play is absolutely ridiculous. I was disgusted when I saw it. This is so patently illegal, it boggles the mind. There is nothing even remotely legal to this play. It's horrific. No reason at all. No possibly way for the play to be legal. You HAVE to know that going low when engaged high is illegal.

Tell that to Derek Johnson. Plus, he hasn't received any apologies from the player or the coach. Only McBride has received a rather hallow one.

That is why a flag was thrown.

Also Balogh has apologized.

GOKATS
October 5th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Cry me a river, wimp. Go play flag football.

No problem figuring out why you have a 'red' rep.

I Bleed Purple
October 5th, 2007, 10:16 PM
That is why a flag was thrown.

Also Balogh has apologized.

I feel a flag is insufficient penalty.

SeattleGriz
October 5th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I feel a flag is insufficient penalty.

No doubt. If you can't see that the majority of Montana fans are disappointed in what happened...

Don't think this question hasn't been debated ad nauseum amongst Griz Nation. We are not happy about it, but are trying our best not to convict Cody without knowing all the facts.

Some of the facts we do know is that Cody has always, along with all Montana players, played above board. None of us can remember this type of incident anytime in the past. I especially have been looking at our numerous "chippy" games with Idaho State and Montana State - nothing of this sort.

I know this pity party wont cure his knee, but to continuously deride Montana fans over something they are genuinly disappointed in, serves no purpose.

As lame as it sounds, we all wish him a fantastic recovery, and hope it never happens again.

pantherfan
October 5th, 2007, 11:17 PM
No doubt. If you can't see that the majority of Montana fans are disappointed in what happened...

Don't think this question hasn't been debated ad nauseum amongst Griz Nation. We are not happy about it, but are trying our best not to convict Cody without knowing all the facts.

Some of the facts we do know is that Cody has always, along with all Montana players, played above board. None of us can remember this type of incident anytime in the past. I especially have been looking at our numerous "chippy" games with Idaho State and Montana State - nothing of this sort.

I know this pity party wont cure his knee, but to continuously deride Montana fans over something they are genuinly disappointed in, serves no purpose.

As lame as it sounds, we all wish him a fantastic recovery, and hope it never happens again.

I really don't see much of this as an attack on Montana fans. I see this more as a condemning of the BSC and Montana coaching staff in not doing something further in reaction to this haneous play. This player, whether he wanted to injure or not, did cause a serious injury. On an illegal play. After watching the tape there is ABSOLUTELY no way to deny that this illegal block was pre-meditated. This wasn't an "accident" where the o-lineman slipped or was pushed, he knew exactly what he was doing. I don't think that he wanted to end the other man's career, but that is irrelevant at this point. At the very least, there must be some sort of suspension.xtwocentsx

mvemjsunpx
October 5th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I really don't see much of this as an attack on Montana fans. I see this more as a condemning of the BSC and Montana coaching staff in not doing something further in reaction to this haneous play. This player, whether he wanted to injure or not, did cause a serious injury. On an illegal play. After watching the tape there is ABSOLUTELY no way to deny that this illegal block was pre-meditated. This wasn't an "accident" where the o-lineman slipped or was pushed, he knew exactly what he was doing. I don't think that he wanted to end the other man's career, but that is irrelevant at this point. At the very least, there must be some sort of suspension.xtwocentsx

I think it's hypocritical of you to condemn Montana's coaching staff & the BSC for not issuing a suspension when you know as well as I do that no Division I team or conference would suspend any of their players for committing the same foul.

Also, if players start getting suspended for every cheap shot, then half the teams in college football would run out of players.

SeattleGriz
October 5th, 2007, 11:43 PM

Point taken, but this is a fan board. To constantly deride our program does nothing to solve the problem. None of us on here has the capacity to make any changes. I understand the need to vent, but when the Griz Nation (fans) have apologized profusely for what transpired, one needs to accept it and move on.

If you have issues with the BSC, then take it up with the home office.

Not trying to be short, just realistic.xpeacex

GOKATS
October 6th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I think it's hypocritical of you to condemn Montana's coaching staff & the BSC for not issuing a suspension when you know as well as I do that no Division I team or conference would suspend any of their players for committing the same foul.

Also, if players start getting suspended for every cheap shot, then half the teams in college football would run out of players.

I'll put this post up for 'Stupidest Post of theYear'.

Casey_Orourke
October 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I just read an article on the online Oregonian about Jerry's views of a hard hitting defense

http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/119146835844580.xml&coll=7

This is especially telling.....
His philosophy then is the same as now: Hit to the whistle. Glanville often refers to it as "aggressive" football, but he doesn't want folks to confuse that with "dirty" football, because he doesn't tolerate late hits, hits out of bounds, or anything that could be construed as a cheap shot.

"And if you take a cheap shot at a guy and it's not detected by the officials, but we see it on the film, you're done," Glanville said. "If we get hit in the back by the enemy, that happens. If we do it, it won't happen twice, because I won't play you any more.

"We are squeaky clean that way."

I don't know if Bobby Hauck has made any similar public statements, but I think it is something all coaches should consider.

mvemjsunpx
October 6th, 2007, 12:54 AM
I'll put this post up for 'Stupidest Post of theYear'.

Are you going to make an attempt to explain why that was the "Stupidest Post of the Year"? Or are you just going to assume that everyone agrees with you because you're so magnificent?

I can only find one instance where a guy got suspended for a chop block. In 2005, Virginia's Brad Butler cut blocked BC's Mathias Kiwanuka away from the play. He got suspended 1 game only because the game was on ESPN & their commentators made a big deal over the whole issue. The suspension was quite controversial & seemingly quite rare.

SeattleGriz
October 6th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I just read an article on the online Oregonian about Jerry's views of a hard hitting defense

http://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/119146835844580.xml&coll=7

This is especially telling.....

I don't know if Bobby Hauck has made any similar public statements, but I think it is something all coaches should consider.

I cant speak for Bobby, but I am sure I speak for all FCS coaches that are looking to be promoted. Do you really think the moniker of, "anything goes" will get you a promotion to the next level?

Sorry, but I for one believe it would be a strike against any coach that allows that type of thuggery to flourish.

Hansel
October 6th, 2007, 01:03 AM
OK, fine. Name one instance where a college player got suspended for a chop block.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=24597&pid=1344

mvemjsunpx
October 6th, 2007, 01:09 AM
http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=24597&pid=1344

Yeah, I found that article (I edited my post above). The fact that he got suspended was very controversial & happened only because ESPN made a big deal about it.

BisonBacker
October 6th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Your good Hansel
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx