PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown State @ Southern Illinois: Game Of The Week!

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2007, 10:40 AM
BIG!

What's the dope, Dog and Pen folks?

th0m
October 4th, 2007, 10:48 AM
whaaaat, no UNI as game of the week? ;)

Khan4Cats
October 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
whaaaat, no UNI as game of the week? ;)

Panthers are gearing up for their big game against the Bye Cycles.xthumbsupx

catbob
October 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I'm excited to see this game on CSTV!

unigriff
October 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM
haha...yes a much deserved hiatus before the big showdown on homecoming! the Cedar Valley will be rocking..just under 2 weeks before the big game and ticket sales are near a sellout of over 16,000. :)

unigriff
October 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM
i got Dawgs by 9 at home.

james_lawfirm
October 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I am sure this YSU & SIU will be a great game. Perhaps it is the GOW.

But, another of equal magnitude, IMHO, is the Wofford/Citadel game in Charleston. If Wofford wins, it may very well have sealed the SoCon title just 3 games into the season. If The Citadel wins, there could be a 3-way tie at the end of the season (of course I'm assuming ASU beats The Citadel in Charleston on Oct. 20. - a BIG assumption.)

DOME
October 4th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Correction, UNI v SIU is sold out a week and a half in advance. I went online last night and couldn't get any tickets, *$@#! Guess I'll be talking to the scalpers...

I'm going to say YSU v SIU will be a great game. Nick Hill will work Tommy Zetts but I think the YSU run will put up some numbers. I'm giving it to the home team by a Field Goal. SIU 31 YSU 28

PS, anyone have any tickets for sale for homecoming?

th0m
October 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Panthers are gearing up for their big game against the Bye Cycles.xthumbsupx

Oh right, how did I miss that xlolx

R.A.
October 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Go Youngstown...

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
The fun begins. The next two weekends could go a long way in deciding who wins the conference. Somehow I am not surprised at the sellout at the Dome coming up. The Gateway bloodbath is under way.

MSUBear42
October 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM
GO GUINS!!

Mountain Panther
October 4th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Gotta go with those hairy, skinny dogs on this one.....for no other reason than it will make our meeting in Cedar Falls on 10/13 that much more epic.

igo4uni
October 4th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Gotta go with those hairy, skinny dogs on this one.....for no other reason than it will make our meeting in Cedar Falls on 10/13 that much more epic.

It would be nice to see 2 undefeated teams in the UNI-Dome!!!!!

Petrie Dish
October 4th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Correction, UNI v SIU is sold out a week and a half in advance. I went online last night and couldn't get any tickets, *$@#! Guess I'll be talking to the scalpers...

I'm going to say YSU v SIU will be a great game. Nick Hill will work Tommy Zetts but I think the YSU run will put up some numbers. I'm giving it to the home team by a Field Goal. SIU 31 YSU 28

You can still get tickets online, I just checked. Most are single seats, but a few rows have five or six together.

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM
i got Dawgs by 9 at home.

Switch around the teams and you got it right! Youngstown state finally shows up to play a hard game...they win by 9.

Petrie Dish
October 4th, 2007, 04:50 PM
The Salukis won't score as much as they have been, but they will score enough to win. SIU by 6.

DOME
October 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Just checked again and ticket return says no seats found for single game tickets...I'll call 273-4TIX in the am though.

SO ILLmatic
October 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM

I dont know about winning by a FG, our kicker has had some trouble with putting the ball through the uprights since the beginning of the season.

crunifan
October 4th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I want the Salukis. I want an epic showdown in Cedar Falls next weekend!

SO ILLmatic
October 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I want the Salukis. I want an epic showdown in Cedar Falls next weekend!

You want an epic showdown?

It may be epic, but we will most likely leave with a L. The Dome has got our number.

Cap'n Cat
October 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM
You want an epic showdown?

It may be epic, but we will most likely leave with a L. The Dome has got our number.

Oh, we'll see, Matic. Regardless, the UNI-SIU game is a dag-gone thriller.

Zoo
October 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I'm gonna have to catch this game on CSTV.

UMass922
October 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I am sure this YSU & SIU will be a great game. Perhaps it is the GOW.

But, another of equal magnitude, IMHO, is the Wofford/Citadel game in Charleston.

Agreed; that's a very intriguing game. Montana v. Eastern Washington as well. Not to mention Delaware v. UNH in the CAA.

Is someone going to put up a "Game of the Week" poll?

Peems
October 4th, 2007, 06:31 PM
What time does this game start? I will have to record it, since I will be in Missoula

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
What time does this game start? I will have to record it, since I will be in Missoula

I think at 2:30 Central Time.

unigriff
October 4th, 2007, 07:11 PM
sorry griz fans...out of 10 sports writers for our paper...i'm the only one that picked EWU to pull out the upset by 2. :)

hehe..then again i picked South Carolina over Kentucky, LSU over Florida, Missouri State over Illinois State.

skinny_uncle
October 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM
sorry griz fans...out of 10 sports writers for our paper...i'm the only one that picked EWU to pull out the upset by 2. :)

hehe..then again i picked South Carolina over Kentucky, LSU over Florida, Missouri State over Illinois State.
EWU is probably the best team Montana has played so far this year . It is only natural that some folks are looking for an "upset" with that one.

Purple For Life
October 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM

Lookin' forward to seeing that tomorrow! xthumbsupx

igo4uni
October 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM
EWU is probably the best team Montana has played so far this year . It is only natural that some folks are looking for an "upset" with that one.

Montana has a weak schedule??? That's the first time I've heard of that!!

Chi Panther
October 4th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'll be watching. 2 very good teams.xthumbsupx xbowx

I just checked to make sure I get CSTV.....and right now Kentucy State is playing Lane. I thought I heard of all schools.....

igo4uni
October 4th, 2007, 10:14 PM

I just checked to make sure I get CSTV.....and right now Kentucy State is playing Lane. I thought I heard of all schools.....

Lane is winning!!!

CSTV is on Directv channel 610, so I'll be tuned in on Saturday!!

R.A.
October 4th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Houston Texans 3rd Round Pick, WR Jacoby Jones, he's a Lane Dragon.

DOME
October 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM
SO ILLmatic...UNI won the GFC in 2005

GoGuins
October 5th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I'm excited to see this game on CSTV!

Yea, I ordered the digital sports package on Time Warner just to watch the game.

YSU hasn't won in Carbondale since '01 and they are a bit banged up, so it will be a tough road trip for them

GoGuins
October 5th, 2007, 07:45 AM
SO ILLmatic...UNI won the GFC in 2005

So did YSU, right Cappy?
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/images/gateway-champs06.jpg

01pantherfan
October 5th, 2007, 08:30 AM
It will be a great game I dont know who I think will get this one , leaning towards SIU at home, BUT if YSU wins will we be looking at another sell out for that game at the Dome ??

GoGuins
October 5th, 2007, 10:25 AM
For those who don't have CSTV, here's a live feed

mms://a1729.l2168647534.c21686.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1729/21686/v0001/reflector:55585

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM
So did YSU, right Cappy?
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/images/gateway-champs06.jpg

Pffffft. Third place, no playoffs.

xrolleyesx

MSUBear42
October 5th, 2007, 10:51 AM
For those who don't have CSTV, here's a live feed

mms://a1729.l2168647534.c21686.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1729/21686/v0001/reflector:55585

That's SWEET

birdsflyhigh
October 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I've got the Salukis pulling out the victory at home 35-28, then the dawgs going to the UNI Dump the next week and knocking the Panthers out of the GFC top spot. xeekx

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I've got the Salukis pulling out the victory at home 35-28, then the dawgs going to the UNI Dump the next week and knocking the Panthers out of the GFC top spot. xeekx

Reading Redbirdfan today, that's what you numbies were saying about your UNI game! Sux to be out of it so early, eh?

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

birdsflyhigh
October 5th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Not to rain on your victory parade 'o great Cap'n, but there has only been ONE GFC game played so far. Each team has 6 more games to play.

Guess I never realized how many Panther Nation fans are just plain full of themselves. Thought at first it was just good natured fun by UNI fans (which is COOL xcoolx), but now I see it's just Panther fans showing an ugly attitude. It makes it EXTREMELY easy for all of us non-UNI fans to root against the Panthers from here on out.

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Not to rain on your victory parade 'o great Cap'n, but there has only been ONE GFC game played so far. Each team has 6 more games to play.

Guess I never realized how many Panther Nation fans are just plain full of themselves. Thought at first it was just good natured fun by UNI fans (which is COOL xcoolx), but now I see it's just Panther fans showing an ugly attitude. It makes it EXTREMELY easy for all of us non-UNI fans to root against the Panthers from here on out.

"Here on out" or ILSU fans = 3-8.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Strange how the Crimson Crow fans abandon their team so quickly, too!

xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Punchykky
October 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I think SIU will win this game.

Cap'n Cat
October 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I think SIU will win this game.

Youngstown by 30.

Saluki_man
October 5th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Youngstown by 30.

Cap'n Cat, have you been hitting the cat nip a little hard lately??:D

Mountain Panther
October 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Cap'n Cat, have you been hitting the cat nip a little hard lately??:D

He'd been drinking for an hour when he wrote that. xcoffeex

Petrie Dish
October 5th, 2007, 06:48 PM

This is true. xsmhx

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM

There's only five conference games left for most of us. WKU leaving shortened the conference season this year. It makes for less margin for error if you want to win a title.

skinny_uncle
October 5th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Youngstown by 30.

Unbelievable!
I want some of what you are drinking.
xlolx

Mountain Panther
October 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM

I don't think we have many fans on here that fit your description above. At least not any more than any other school on here.

crunifan
October 6th, 2007, 12:38 AM

Every school has fans like that. And more come out of the woodwork during a good season.

Illinois State had several last season. Sadly, it is a part of the game. Gotta learn that a few fans don't represent the majority and you shouldn't let it tarnish the image of an entire school.

AmsterBison
October 6th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Huge game! The winner should get a lot of first place votes.

I'm leaning towards SIU - they are on a roll and playing very well.

Hehe, birdsflyhigh, if Cap'n Cat gets his claws under your skin so easily, I'm afraid that you aren't going care much for NDSU either :)

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM
It's supposed to be 89 degrees in Carbondale today. The Penguins will melt in the heat.
http://bestsmileys.com/hot/3.gif

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Huge game! The winner should get a lot of first place votes.

I'm leaning towards SIU - they are on a roll and playing very well.

Hehe, birdsflyhigh, if Cap'n Cat gets his claws under your skin so easily, I'm afraid that you aren't going care much for NDSU either :)
I heard a rumor that the Cap'n has been banned from this site. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Johnny5
October 6th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Wow a lack of Penguins fans in the thread. I am going to say Pens in a tough game 27-26. Another nail-biter like last year's in Youngstown.

BDK@YSU
October 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I just had my cable internet fixed, so...

The stats say SIU is a well balanced team, running the ball 60 percent of the time and throwing 40 with just about an even split in yeardage. This scares me because our opponents have nickel and dimed us to death with short passes all season after they realized that we have a pretty good run D.

All I can say is go Penguins! It's not like it wasn't hot here in Youngstown for practice all week.

Mountain Panther
October 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I heard a rumor that the Cap'n has been banned from this site. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

This is true.

pantherfan
October 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM
This is true.

Don't spread false rumors...;) Cap'n Cat is still in our midst...xsmiley_wix

Mountain Panther
October 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM
YSU 10
SIU 0

4:00 to go in the 1st.

Game is on CSTV DISH Network channel 152.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Bad start, but the game is young.

Mountain Panther
October 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Bad start, but the game is young.

Y town running some crazy offense.

Mountain Panther
October 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
TD SIU

YSU 10
SIU 7

12:00 to go in the 2nd.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Randle into the end zone.
Dawgs on the board.
10-7.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Penguins with a fumble. Dawgs have the ball.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM
FG 10-10 late in the first half.

strike00
October 6th, 2007, 04:01 PM
seems like turnovers are haunting both teams in the first half. Should be an entertaining finish!

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM
seems like turnovers are haunting both teams in the first half. Should be an entertaining finish!
Each team has had one fumble in the first half.
SIU has 172 yards of offense to 141 for the Penguins.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM
YSU misses a 41 yd. FG attempt to start the second half.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 04:33 PM
TD pass to Turner. Salukis take the lead 17-10 in the third.

strike00
October 6th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Nice drive by SIU.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM
The Pens keep shooting themselves in the foot in this one. Watching from the press box, I keep expecting YSU to take charge and they don't. Nick Hill is the difference maker for SIU. Ferlando Williams has added a nice dimension to the Penguins offense.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 04:47 PM
SIU 17-10 at the end of the third quarter.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Big interception by Lenny Wicks (first of the year against Nick Hill) and big first down completion by Zetts on third and long. YSU on the move at the 21.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Williams TD run for YSU. 11:32 left. PAT will tie it at 17-all. Almost blocked, but good.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Tied at 17
11:32 to go.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 05:10 PM
BAD, BAD, BAD grounding call on Zetts. He was out beyond the hashes and threw the ball at the feet of his TE under pressure and got called for grounding. INT for SIU on the next play. First down at the YSU 26.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Blake Halverson injured a knee for YSU. Third and about four for SIU upcoming at the 20.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Good defense by YSU to contain Hill on a third-down rollout. Fourth down field goal upcoming from 39 yards. Almost blocked, goes wide with 6:57 left. 17-all.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Looks like we are going down to the wire.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Karim with a 15 yard run.
Salukis up 24-17.
1:51 left.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Nice drive by Hill and the Salukis. But did they leave too much time for Zetts to answer?

R.A.
October 6th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I'm watching it also.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM
YSU has driven to the SIU 46 with 36 seconds left.

strike00
October 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM
under :40 left YSU at the SIU 46

strike00
October 6th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Zetts huge mistake and took a sack instead of throwing it away

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Sack by SIU. Zetts went out of bounds, official wound the clock and YSU had to use its last time out. 27 seconds left 3rd and 15 at midfield.

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Defensive holding on SIU. First down at the SIU 41 with 24 seconds left

Mr. C
October 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Last play time. Jump ball in end zone. SIU knocks it away for 24-17 win.

strike00
SIU wins!!! great game.

skinny_uncle
Incomplete Hail Mary.
Game over.
Salukis win 24-17
xthumbsupx

HI54UNI
October 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Congrats to the Salukis. See you next week!

Gil Dobie
October 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I'll keep SIU as my #1 xthumbsupx

Good game by YSU xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Congrats to the Salukis. See you next week!
Looking forward to it.
xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'll keep SIU as my #1 xthumbsupx

Good game by YSU xthumbsupx
I just might have to agree with you on both points.
:D

pantherfan
October 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Salukis did their part to set up Homecoming in Cedar Falls next Saturday! Game is already sold out according to a few in CF...xthumbsupx Too bad SIU wasn't higher rated, this could have been a legitimate 1 vs. 2 matchup...xbowx

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Salukis did their part to set up Homecoming in Cedar Falls next Saturday! Game is already sold out according to a few in CF...xthumbsupx Too bad SIU wasn't higher rated, this could have been a legitimate 1 vs. 2 matchup...xbowx
It is.
Some of the pollsters just haven't figured it out yet.
xthumbsupx

Reed Rothchild
October 6th, 2007, 06:13 PM
YSU needs to bench Zetts and play that #1 kid. He's a stud!!

Zoo
October 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Pretty good game, but I didn't get to catch the second half.

R.A.
October 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Big Time Win Southern Illinios...xthumbsupx

Northern Iowa Looms....

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Big Time Win Southern Illinios...xthumbsupx

Northern Iowa Looms....
It's time to break the Dome jinx.

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM
It would be nice to see 2 undefeated teams in the UNI-Dome!!!!!
You get your wish.
xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
October 6th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Youngstown by 30.
The Cap'n never gets YSU games right.
:D

Gil Dobie
October 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM

If you let my poll count as the official poll it is a 1 vs 2 matchup. ;) xthumbsupx

stuperman17
October 7th, 2007, 12:03 AM

His biggest problem is he isnt a very polished passer. He played some QB in military school, but ran the option offense there. He's a great athlete though.

I also agree that it was a good game, zetts struggled quite a bit. And that intentional grounding call was a terrible call. I know someone mentioned it earlier in the topic. It was obvious he was out of the tackle box and had a reciever close to the pass.

The sack at the end was bad by zetts, just toss it out of bounds. Also, the throw to bush with 15 seconds left was a bad move by bush. He was right next to the sideline but he just rolled over and stayed in bounds. Wouldnt have made a big difference but it woulda saved 10 seconds for us.

Johnny5
October 7th, 2007, 03:02 AM
His biggest problem is he isnt a very polished passer. He played some QB in military school, but ran the option offense there. He's a great athlete though.

I also agree that it was a good game, zetts struggled quite a bit. And that intentional grounding call was a terrible call. I know someone mentioned it earlier in the topic. It was obvious he was out of the tackle box and had a reciever close to the pass.

The sack at the end was bad by zetts, just toss it out of bounds. Also, the throw to bush with 15 seconds left was a bad move by bush. He was right next to the sideline but he just rolled over and stayed in bounds. Wouldnt have made a big difference but it woulda saved 10 seconds for us.

There were bad calls all night on both sides....How come we cannot get real refs? congrats SIU. Horrible play calls down the stretch and bad D by the guins....the game got away from us.

ysubigred
October 7th, 2007, 08:02 AM

5 years with the same QB xwhistlex Although #1's not the answer unless YSU becomes one dimentional. Our JR backup seems to get hurt breathing. Yes Reed if we had your QB or SIU's QB YSU would be more of a threat xbowx Our future QB is on the bench. One of Indiana's highest ranked prep stars 06. Should be a good one :)

stuperman17
October 7th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Rowan is no slouch though. Yes he's been injured a lot, but he's gonna start the next two seasons and he is talented.

ysubigred
October 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Rowan is no slouch though. Yes he's been injured a lot, but he's gonna start the next two seasons and he is talented.

I agree Rowan is great and showed in the spring game he's a force. He's got the size and all "BUT" he can't stay healthy xbawlingx

Mountain Panther
October 8th, 2007, 09:45 AM
It's time to break the Dome jinx.

"Win in the Dome this year, you will not."

http://www.starwars-tw.com/story/character/jedi/yoda-ep2.jpg

GoGuins
October 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
from what I've read from YSU fans that made the trip to Carbondale, they were treated great by the SIU fans. Here's a quote from Pita on the YSU board-

All our YSU Road Warriors were welcomed by "The Old Yellers, of Southern Illinois University. They provided a tent, SHADE, tables, chairs, and a hug or hand shake to welcome us...that was for starters. The food they had prepared for us, of which the list is way to long to post....I think the Bar-B-Q'd Pork was the winner; was wonderful. Cookie table you would have thought it was a Youngstown wedding. Drinks, you name it, they had it, including 4 cases of iced bottled water.
All of the above was great.....but I for one, have never been treated so well by an away team, well I know Louisiana compares, but I mean in the usually travelled Gateway Conference . Wonderful people who have promised to be our guests in the tailgate lot next year. Our Fans were very touched by their generosity. So "what we have learned" (another post on this site)....for me. Love makes the world go round....what a beautiful memory to have!

GO PENGUINS!!!!

http://www.ysupenguins.com/cgi-bin/ib3new/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=4096